PDA

View Full Version : Questions about LSU OG Herman Johnson

MangyBeast
11-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Exactly how good is he as a prospect? I know he's a massive OG, but what are his strengths and weaknesses (can he pull and block on the move well, is he just an inline blocker, etc...) and is he quick enough with his feet to play at RT?

I've seen him mentioned here and there and know he's projected mid-to-high 2nd round, but I've never seen a real detailed discussion on how good he is or isn't.

Matthew Jones
11-14-2008, 07:32 PM
He is more of an inline blocker and I am not sure he can really pull, as I haven't seen him do it too effectively beyond occasionally getting a nice block because of how massive he is. Other than that, I think he could potentially play right tackle for a team that values maulers because he does have a massive wingspan and you need a truck to get around him.

Solomon
11-15-2008, 01:01 AM
He is more of an inline blocker and I am not sure he can really pull, as I haven't seen him do it too effectively beyond occasionally getting a nice block because of how massive he is. Other than that, I think he could potentially play right tackle for a team that values maulers because he does have a massive wingspan and you need a truck to get around him.

I've seem him pull quite a few times actually. He also blocks well into the second level. Against UGA he took out the DT (Geno Atkins I think) and then moved up the field and took out Rennie Curran from the play on at least two occasions.

Menardo75
11-15-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm not sure if he has the footwork to play tackle. Once he gets going he will be fine on pulls. Very good inline blocker. He should be a very good guard in the pros once he locks on its over.

Larry121283
11-15-2008, 10:07 AM
He can pull. I however, wouldn't put him at RT. I'd Shawn Andrews him. I'd put him at LG/RG and let him sit there and become a Pro Bowler for the next 10 years.

He does a great job at sticking a helmet on a linebacker, too. He can get up and advance to the second level.

Staubach12
11-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah, he's most definitely not a tackle. But he's a fantastic guard. He does it all, and he's absolutely massive. He's especially good at being able to hit a D-Lineman, force him off the ball, and move on to a linebacker in order to open up holes quickly.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
11-16-2008, 11:04 AM
He is more of an inline blocker and I am not sure he can really pull, as I haven't seen him do it too effectively beyond occasionally getting a nice block because of how massive he is.

Just out of curiosity, how many LSU games have you seen? Because a comment like that leads me to believe that you're one of those guys who tries to scout a player that he's rarely even seen play.

Big Herman is definitely more than just a big body, thats for sure.

Matthew Jones
11-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many LSU games have you seen? Because a comment like that leads me to believe that you're one of those guys who tries to scout a player that he's rarely even seen play.

Big Herman is definitely more than just a big body, thats for sure.

I've seen the Florida, Georgia, and Alabama games. He's not an athletic player. Maybe for his size he is, but he's not exactly Jason Peters out there.

Solomon
11-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I've seen the Florida, Georgia, and Alabama games. He's not an athletic player. Maybe for his size he is, but he's not exactly Jason Peters out there.

LSU does ask Johnson to pull quite often whenever they have running plays to the right side.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
11-17-2008, 04:37 PM
What's the early ideas on his draft position? Detroit needs a dominant guard considering(Tommie Harris, the Williams and Jolly/Pickett man handle us every year) and top of Round 2 would be perfect. Round 1 we have many other needs with our two picks obviously.

BeerBaron
11-17-2008, 04:50 PM
What's the early ideas on his draft position? Detroit needs a dominant guard considering(Tommie Harris, the Williams and Jolly/Pickett man handle us every year) and top of Round 2 would be perfect. Round 1 we have many other needs with our two picks obviously.

I wouldn't expect him to stick around after the first 10 picks of the 2nd round. Him going to the Lions at the start of the 2nd wouldn't surprise me. I personally had him going to Chiefs early in the 2nd in my most recent mock and Chiefs fans seemed pleased.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
11-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't expect him to stick around after the first 10 picks of the 2nd round. Him going to the Lions at the start of the 2nd wouldn't surprise me. I personally had him going to Chiefs early in the 2nd in my most recent mock and Chiefs fans seemed pleased.

Thats good. We need a guard in the worst way. Of course, it isn't a priority for most teams but with the DTs of the North, I would be happy if we got Herman Munster(what I will call him). Him next to Gosder who has played decent with Kevin Smith would be good building blocks.

villagewarrior
11-19-2008, 08:57 AM

Yes, this would please me to no end.