PDA

View Full Version : List of notable free-agents to be

Matthew Jones
11-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Here is a short list I made of free-agents to be. I was using it for a mock draft and listed the top three at each position (assuming there were notable players.) I may have forgotten a couple or some may have signed extensions, but it is current as far as I know. Thought someone might like this. Parenthesis includes a potential player who is traded.

Quarterback - Matt Cassel, Kerry Collins, Jeff Garcia, Rex Grossman, Kurt Warner (Derek Anderson)

Running Back - Fred Jackson, Brandon Jacobs, Kevin Jones, Dominic Rhodes Darren Sproles (Larry Johnson)

Wide Receiver - Hank Baskett, Bobby Engram, Jabar Gaffney, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Lance Moore (Chad Ocho Cinco)

Tight End - Desmond Clark, Jeff King, Jim Kleinsasser, Ben Patrick, Leonard Pope (Tony Gonzalez)

Offensive Tackle - Vernon Carey, Jordan Gross, Jon Runyan, Mark Tauscher, Tra Thomas (Jason Peters)

Guard - Jahri Evans (RFA), Russ Hochstein, Richie Incognito, Pete Kendall, Duke Preston

Center - Matt Birk, Melvin Fowler, Brad Meester, Lonie Paxton (LS), Jeff Saturday

Defensive End - Victor Adeyanju, Bertrand Berry, Kevin Carter, Julius Peppers, Terrell Suggs

Defensive Tackle - Jonathan Babineaux, Shaun Cody, Albert Haynesworth, Anthony Montgomery (RFA), Tank Johnson

Outside Linebacker - Eric Barton, Channing Crowder, Angelo Crowell, Karlos Dansby, Takeo Spikes

Inside Linebacker - Ray Lewis, Mike Peterson, Bart Scott, Zach Thomas, Jonathan Vilma

Cornerback - Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Gamble, DeAngelo Hall, Dunta Robinson, Corey Webster (Lito Sheppard)

Free Safety - Will Allen, Brian Dawkins, Jarrad Page (RFA), James Sanders, Anthony Smith

Strong Safety - Mike Brown, Rodney Harrison, Sean Jones, Dawan Landry, Darren Sharper

Kicker - Shayne Graham, Jason Hanson, Matt Stover

Punter - Chris Hanson, Craig Hentrich, Shane Lechler

Personally I think the top ten is (in loose order):

1. DT Albert Haynesworth
2. DE Terrell Suggs
3. CB Nnamdi Asomugha
4. DE Julius Peppers
5. WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh
6. QB Matt Cassel
7. QB Kurt Warner
8. LB Karlos Dansby
9. RB Brandon Jacobs
10. CB Chris Gamble
10b. FS Brian Dawkins

PACKmanN
11-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Didn't Gould sign a contract extension just this off-season?

edit: Mark Tauscher is also a free agent this coming up off-season.

Malaka
11-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Corey Webster is up for FA if the G-Men do not sign him.

My top ten FA list would go like this

1. DT Albert Haynesworth
2. CB Nnamdi Asomugha
3. DE Julius Peppers
4. LB Karlos Dansby
5. Pass Rusher Terrell Suggs
6. RB Brandon Jacobs
7. WR T.J Houshyamomma
8. QB Kurt Warner
9. CB Chris Gamble
10. OT Jordan Gross (This spot is really interchangeable I just think an O-lineman will be needed so Gross gets it)

MetSox17
11-14-2008, 09:55 PM
I thought Vernon Carey signed an extension..

Matthew Jones
11-14-2008, 09:57 PM
It's hard to say whether Matt Cassel or Kurt Warner is the best free agent quarterback. At this rate:

Kurt Warner (37) - 4,907 yards, 70.6%, 34 TD, 11 INT (106.4)
Matt Cassel (26) - 3,520 yards, 65.8%, 16 TD, 11 INT (87.3)

Warner is the best "old" quarterback in the league (I didn't forget Favre), but that's what he is - old, although he has won an MVP and a ring as well. For a team that wants to win now, he's perfect. I could see the Vikings making a big play for him even though he's not a great fit system-wise. Cassel could be a target for any team looking for a quarterback - I could see him landing a five or six-year deal worth $40-50 million.

Dam8610
11-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Jeff Saturday is a FA to be.

holt_bruce81
11-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Cardinals need to resign Warner, if anyone thinks Leinart is ready to take over that offense your dead wrong.

Zyro_1014
11-14-2008, 11:06 PM
im very excited to see the type of contracts that both Haynesworth and Aso get this off season. i kind of expect Aso to get tagged but i dont think that the titans will do it to Al two years in a row.

Vox Populi
11-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Pretty much positive Ricky signed an extension. I remember cause it was some dumb deal that he did without an agent and is a pretty bad deal for him I believe.

im very excited to see the type of contracts that both Haynesworth and Aso get this off season. i kind of expect Aso to get tagged but i dont think that the titans will do it to Al two years in a row.

I am also almost positive that the Titans agreed not to do that and is why Haynesworth signed the tag this year if I recall correctly.

awfullyquiet
11-14-2008, 11:18 PM

that is correct. on both accounts.

Zyro_1014
11-14-2008, 11:24 PM
i would love to see the eagles go after a couple of those linebackers considering ours are god awful this year.

M.O.T.H.
11-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Warner better hope they want him back...the short list of teams that really need a QB is rather awful.

Niners
Lions
Vikings
Rams (maybe)

TitanHope
11-14-2008, 11:29 PM
The Titans can't tag Haynesworth if he meets certain incentives such as making the Pro Bowl, playing over a certain amount of snaps, etc.

holt_bruce81
11-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Warner better hope they want him back...the short list of teams that really need a QB is rather awful.

Niners
Lions
Vikings
Rams

No way does he end up a Niner, Martz pretty much ran him out of St. Louis. Although I'm sure Martz will be out of San Fran by then.

Zyro_1014
11-14-2008, 11:30 PM
The Titans can't tag Haynesworth if he meets certain incentives such as making the Pro Bowl, playing over a certain amount of snaps, etc.

Thats good to hear, i hope he isnt dominating games the way he is just because hes looking to get paid. Hopefully he keeps this going!

M.O.T.H.
11-14-2008, 11:31 PM
No way does he end up a Niner, Martz pretty much ran him out of St. Louis. Although I'm sure Martz will be out of San Fran by then.

Yeah, Martz is gone after the season...so, there is a chance. I think they'd more likely pursue Cassel, though. Instead of signing a rental and having to draft another QB early on.

Zyro_1014
11-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah, Martz is gone after the season...so, there is a chance. I think they'd more likely pursue Cassel, though. Instead of signing a rental and having to draft another QB early on.

i could see Cassel being the guy there, i just dont see Singletary being the type of coach who is going to try to run a flashy offense. Hes going to get an O Coordinater who is going to pound the ball and hes going to have a game manager. Cassel has shown he can do that.

TitanHope
11-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Thats good to hear, i hope he isnt dominating games the way he is just because hes looking to get paid. Hopefully he keeps this going!

I don't think he's being motivated exclusively by money. Obviously, a huge payday is something to keep his head on straight, but he could half ass it the rest of the season, and still cash in big. Yet, he's still giving effort week in and week out.

I really hope the Titans FO shells out the money for AH. The guy deserves it, and there's no reason not to make a player who the organization drafted become one of the franchise's faces. But, I do think that the Titans DEF could survive without AH.

Zyro_1014
11-14-2008, 11:43 PM
I don't think he's being motivated exclusively by money. Obviously, a huge payday is something to keep his head on straight, but he could half ass it the rest of the season, and still cash in big. Yet, he's still giving effort week in and week out.

I really hope the Titans FO shells out the money for AH. The guy deserves it, and there's no reason not to make a player who the organization drafted become one of the franchise's faces. But, I do think that the Titans DEF could survive without AH.

Everyone in the league is going to go after this guy. hes going to get one the highest contracts ever, because hes just that dominant. Like watchin him play thats for sure.

Menardo75
11-15-2008, 12:42 AM
i could see Cassel being the guy there, i just dont see Singletary being the type of coach who is going to try to run a flashy offense. Hes going to get an O Coordinater who is going to pound the ball and hes going to have a game manager. Cassel has shown he can do that.

I can only hope it's Russ Grimm. Although if Martz does what Singletary wants like he did monday night then, I can see him staying.

regoob2
11-15-2008, 12:43 AM

Yes he did. Gould wont be a FA.

giantsfan
11-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Corey Webster is up for FA if the G-Men do not sign him.

My top ten FA list would go like this

1. DT Albert Haynesworth
2. CB Nnamdi Asomugha
3. DE Julius Peppers
4. LB Karlos Dansby
5. Pass Rusher Terrell Suggs
6. RB Brandon Jacobs
7. WR T.J Houshyamomma
8. QB Kurt Warner
9. CB Chris Gamble
10. OT Jordan Gross (This spot is really interchangeable I just think an O-lineman will be needed so Gross gets it)

is BJ really going to be a more sought after FA than Corey? I mean for us Corey has to be the more important re-sign. Maybe if we let Jacobs walk we'll get a good deal on corey and we'll be able to nab another stud for our front seven like Dansby, Haynesworth or Babineaux.

SaintsMan
11-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Albert Haynesworth would look pretty nice next to Sedrick Ellis.

Dam8610
11-15-2008, 01:31 AM

How else would you explain his sudden jump from mediocrity to dominance over the past 1 1/2+ seasons?

But, I do think that the Titans DEF could survive without AH.

Like it did last year?

niel89
11-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Notable Raven free agents:

QB Kyle Boller
C Jason Brown
MLB Ray Lewis,
FB Lorenzo Neal,
ILB Bart Scott
PK Matt Stover
OLB Terrell Suggs

Menardo75
11-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Notable Raven free agents:

QB Kyle Boller
C Jason Brown
MLB Ray Lewis,
FB Lorenzo Neal,
ILB Bart Scott
PK Matt Stover
OLB Terrell Suggs

49er Free Agents
Deshaun Foster
Bryant Johnson
Zak Keasey
Takeo Spikes
Donald Strickland

Ray Lewis got an extension recently.

diabsoule
11-15-2008, 02:55 AM
Notable free agents I want the Saints to sign:

1. Karlos Dansby
1b. Channing Crowder
1c. Bart Scott
2. Corey Webster
2b. Jabari Greer (I want both)
3. Jonathan Babineaux
3b. Shaun Cody

Obviously, Dansby tops my list and he'd be an excellent addition to the Saints D. If we can't land Dansby, then either Crowder or Scott to man WLB next to Vilma. Webster would be a great #2 and I'm curious to know if he could hold down the #1. Greer would play #2 if Webster can man the #1. Yes, I know we still have Mike McKenzie but this should be his last year. Dude just can't stay healthy.
The next is a DT to play next to Ellis. Babineaux or Cody would fit in very nicely.

That would leave us with Safety as our biggest need going into the draft. That'd put us in prime position to take either Taylor Mays or William Moore in the first.

Dam8610
11-15-2008, 02:58 AM
I really, really want the Saints to sign Dansby, Corey Webster, Jabari Greer, and either Babineaux or Shaun Cody.

You're not asking much...

Zyro_1014
11-15-2008, 03:11 AM
49er Free Agents
Deshaun Foster
Bryant Johnson
Zak Keasey
Takeo Spikes
Donald Strickland

Ray Lewis got an extension recently.

you guys need to hit up those ravens free agents tho that for sure!

trkaline
11-15-2008, 03:14 AM
No no, leave our free agents alone!!! scavengers...

Zyro_1014
11-15-2008, 03:17 AM
No no, leave our free agents alone!!! scavengers...

every team in the NFL is going to be all over Suggs and Scott. i love watching that defense but sooner or later there going to lose some of their guys.

trkaline
11-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Take Scott...My heart will break if we lose T-Sizzle...im still recovering from Adalius Thomas leaving...

d34ng3l021
11-15-2008, 03:27 AM
Like it did last year?

Didn't they give up like 100+ rushing yards without him in the line up and 60 rushing yards with him? There was some ridiculous rushing D stat for when Haynesworth played and when he didn't.

After the Michael Turner signing being a big success and showing that we are not too shy to spend money in FA and the Falcons being a team on the rise, I wonder if we go after any of those top guys. I would love for Jordan Gross to come here and hold down the RT spot for a couple of years. His versatility would also help Baker's apparent injury proneness.

I want Gross. It seems like a realistic option as well. I wonder if the Panthers will resign him.

Rayray52
11-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Deangelo Hall

trkaline
11-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Deangelo Hall

When I heard Hall was available I was salivating like anyone else, but I think Dunta Robinson would be a better fit...

Rayray52
11-15-2008, 03:38 AM
Hall would have been an amazing pickup, Dunta might be a bit better because hes so much better in run support, as much as i love him Ray cant quite cover sideline to sideline like he used to and a sure tackling corner in the mold of McCallister is valuable.

trkaline
11-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Yea Hall has all the physical abilities and potential in the world, but Dunta is a more complete player...plus hes not a hot head...

SeanTaylorRIP
11-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Redskins Free Agents:
Pete Kendall
Demetric Evans
Khary Campbell
Of these guys Pete Kendall would give any team an above average LG, only problem is he's only got a couple years left in him. Demetric Evans would be a solid sign from any team. 29 years old, run stopper, decent pass rush skills.

Also expect Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, and Cornelius Griffin to be possible cut casualties.

Gay Ork Wang
11-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Dont u forget the best QB?

Rex Grossman!

trkaline
11-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Come to Baltimore Rex with Boller on his way out I believe its time for Boller 2.0...

Gay Ork Wang
11-15-2008, 08:19 AM
hey, grossman is at least better than Boller. Boller is Rex 2.0

trkaline
11-15-2008, 08:25 AM
hey, grossman is at least better than Boller. Boller is Rex 2.0

Well the 2.0 does mean he would be an upgrade...sorta...sometimes...gaaaah why are either of them in the nfl?

scottyboy
11-15-2008, 08:34 AM
such a nice looking FA class, dammit. Giants need to lock up Webster, Toomer Jacobs and/or Ward. Butler's a FA too, but i don't care about him.

Dansby or Suggs in a Giants uni would give me a perma-boner. oh my.

trkaline
11-15-2008, 08:42 AM
such a nice looking FA class, dammit. Giants need to lock up Webster, Toomer Jacobs and/or Ward. Butler's a FA too, but i don't care about him.

Never Scotty I would never surrender him to the likes of you! NEVER!!!!!!

keylime_5
11-15-2008, 09:08 AM
safety Sean Jones will be a FA. He might get the top safety contract.

Bills2083
11-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Why is Jason Peters on that list?
He's not a free agent.

Bucs_Rule
11-15-2008, 09:49 AM

They can let Ward go, Bradshaw can take his place. Big bruising backs that can run like Jacobs are much harder to find.

Geo
11-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Colts' UFAs
S Matt Giordano
LB Tyjuan Hagler
CB Kelvin Hayden
CB Keiwan Ratliff (?)
DT Darrell Reid
RB Dominic Rhodes
C Jeff Saturday
DE Josh Thomas

Notables

Hayden is the one I most want to see back with the Colts, but I like most of those guys on that list. Namely everyone other than Saturday, Giordano, and Thomas, I'd like to see back. It's not that I don't like Saturday, but would rather the team didn't sign him to a (big) deal at his age now. Probably better to move on with one of their talented young centers and/or maybe Ryan Lilja potentially playing center.

gameplaya2435
11-15-2008, 10:05 AM
1. DT Albert Haynesworth
2. DE Terrell Suggs
3. CB Nnamdi Asomugha
4. DE Julius Peppers
5. WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh
6. QB Matt Cassel
7. QB Kurt Warner
8. LB Karlos Dansby
9. RB Brandon Jacobs
10. CB Chris Gamble
10b. FS Brian Dawkins

Dawkins is definitely not a top free agent, he's at the end of his career and cannot cover anybody man to man.

Matthew Jones
11-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Why is Jason Peters on that list?
He's not a free agent.

I listed him as someone who could potentially be traded for. I don't think he'll get that contract, and he's been the worst lineman on the team this year.

Matthew Jones
11-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Updated the list!

Brent
11-15-2008, 11:04 AM
To those saying Kurt Warner is going to go here or there, during the Niners/Cards game, he was quoted as saying that he wants to play in AZ or retire. He doesn't feel like going somewhere else and playing, he likes it there.

Geo
11-15-2008, 11:06 AM
DeShaun Foster signed a two-year deal with the Forty-Niners this past offseason, he won't be a FA unless he's cut.

Matthew Jones
11-15-2008, 11:19 AM
DeShaun Foster signed a two-year deal with the Forty-Niners this past offseason, he won't be a FA unless he's cut.

Removed him, and added a bunch of new players. There's now five at each position, and in parenthesis means the player could potentially be traded.

scottyboy
11-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Colts' UFAs
S Matt Giordano
LB Tyjuan Hagler
CB Kelvin Hayden
CB Keiwan Ratliff (?)
DT Darrell Reid
RB Dominic Rhodes
C Jeff Saturday
DE Josh Thomas

Notables

Hayden is the one I most want to see back with the Colts, but I like most of those guys on that list. Namely everyone other than Saturday, Giordano, and Thomas, I'd like to see back. It's not that I don't like Saturday, but would rather the team didn't sign him to a (big) deal at his age now. Probably better to move on with one of their talented young centers and/or maybe Ryan Lilja potentially playing center.

hey, Darrell Reid is soo noteable!!! he lives in my town and is one of my aunt's clients!!!!

Gay Ork Wang
11-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I think Alex Brown is a FA

Bills2083
11-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Fred Jackson is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent.
We will most likely resign him and he can't do anything about it.
He shouldn't be on that list.

derza222
11-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I wonder if the Giants let Jacobs go. On one hand he's been really successful there and can wear down defenses, but on the other hand their run game generally has been awesome regardless of who is running behind that line. I'd imagine they'll try to re-sign him for the right price but if he wants too much they'll just let him walk.

johbur
11-15-2008, 11:58 AM
My fave from each group that I would target as a GM:

Quarterback - Matt Cassel
Running Back - Brandon Jacobs
Wide Receiver - T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Tight End - Leonard Pope
Offensive Tackle - Mark Tauscher
Guard - Russ Hochstein
Center - Jeff Saturday
Defensive End - Bertrand Berry
Defensive Tackle - Albert Haynesworth
Outside Linebacker - Channing Crowder
Inside Linebacker - Jonathan Vilma
Cornerback - Nnamdi Asomugha
Free Safety - Brian Dawkins
Strong Safety - Mike Brown
Kicker - Shayne Graham
Punter - Shane Lechler

If you could only get one, I'd want Haynesworth, unless I didn't have a QB and then I'd target Cassell to build for the future.

DiG
11-15-2008, 12:14 PM
the things i would do for haynesworth, peppes, or dansby are probably illegal in at least 48 states. wouldnt mind crowder either.

bearsfan_51
11-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Desmond Clark signed an extension too, he won't be a FA.

bearsfan_51
11-15-2008, 12:20 PM
I think Alex Brown is a FA
He's not...

indyfan1985
11-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Some of those guys who I think the Colts would possibly go after would include...

-MLB Mike Peterson(Lets bring him back home to play MLB on running downs while Brackett played MLB on passing downs)

-CB Dunta Robinson(Lets take this guy away from a division rival. Plus CB is a need anyways)

-Guys I think we should definatly resign include Jeff Saturday, Kelvin Hayden, and Dominic Rhodes

yourfavestoner
11-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Get real. There's some good players on that defense, but Haynesworth is what makes it all tick. Just look at how the defense dropped off last year in games that he sat out from injury.

Gay Ork Wang
11-15-2008, 01:03 PM
then Dusty and Idonije are

Dam8610
11-15-2008, 01:05 PM
-MLB Mike Peterson(Lets bring him back home to play MLB on running downs while Brackett played MLB on passing downs)

I doubt the FO will want that kind of attitude on their roster. If there's anyone from the past I want brought back home, it's Edge (who appears to be all but out the door in Arizona).

Geo
11-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Some of those guys who I think the Colts would possibly go after would include...

-CB Dunta Robinson(Lets take this guy away from a division rival. Plus CB is a need anyways)

-Guys I think we should definatly resign include Jeff Saturday, Kelvin Hayden, and Dominic Rhodes
1. The MLB idea isn't likely at all, really. As for Peterson, he helped the Colts in the past. I think the past is where it stays. I'd rather give Philip Wheeler or Clint Session a chance at WLB.

2. How do the Colts sign those three guys and a headline free agent like Robinson who can be a Top 10 corner when healthy? Even after cutting Harrison, I don't think they have that cap space.

I don't think the Texans let Robinson go away, they need him on defense. It will only make their signing of Jacques Reeves even worse if that wasted money could have gone to Robinson instead.

Malaka
11-15-2008, 01:13 PM
The only FAs I really want for the Giants to acquire are LB Karlos Dansby who is so versatile and can play any LB spot, we can put him at SAM or WILL with Pierce, probably SAM so Kehl can prove his worth, and Albert Haynesworth... who if acquired would make our D-line like this

1. Giants D-Line

2. Vikings D-line

3. Everyone else.

OneToughGame
11-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Seahawks notable UFA's.

1. Leroy Hill
2. Leonard Weaver
3. Bobby Engram
4. Maurice Morris
5. Rocky Bernard

Zyro_1014
11-15-2008, 02:14 PM
The only FAs I really want for the Giants to acquire are LB Karlos Dansby who is so versatile and can play any LB spot, we can put him at SAM or WILL with Pierce, probably SAM so Kehl can prove his worth, and Albert Haynesworth... who if acquired would make our D-line like this

i dont even wanna know what Dansby would be capable of in that defense. just make more scarier why dont you

PACKmanN
11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Packers UFA

1. WR, Ruvell Martin
2. OT, Mark Tauscher
3. DT, Colin Cole
4. DE, Michael Montgomery
5. DT, Johnny Jolly
6. S, Atari Bigby

those are some of the players I can remember.

GB12
11-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Packers UFA

1. WR, Ruvell Martin
2. OT, Mark Tauscher
3. DT, Colin Cole
4. DE, Michael Montgomery
5. DT, Johnny Jolly
6. S, Atari Bigby

those are some of the players I can remember.
That's just a list of who we have, not in any order right?

iBoldin
11-15-2008, 02:27 PM
We're going to have a fairly busy off season, we have some key guys to resign, and I'd really like to retain Karlos.

Dam8610
11-15-2008, 02:41 PM
1. The MLB idea isn't likely at all, really. As for Peterson, he helped the Colts in the past. I think the past is where it stays. I'd rather give Philip Wheeler or Clint Session a chance at WLB.

Wheeler at WLB? He seems like a tailor made SLB to me, especially if the Colts are going to blitz more in the future, which is what I thought the drafting of Wheeler meant.

G-Men88
11-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Notable free agents I want the Saints to sign:

1. Karlos Dansby
1b. Channing Crowder
1c. Bart Scott
2. Corey Webster
2b. Jabari Greer (I want both)
3. Jonathan Babineaux
3b. Shaun Cody

Obviously, Dansby tops my list and he'd be an excellent addition to the Saints D. If we can't land Dansby, then either Crowder or Scott to man WLB next to Vilma. Webster would be a great #2 and I'm curious to know if he could hold down the #1. Greer would play #2 if Webster can man the #1. Yes, I know we still have Mike McKenzie but this should be his last year. Dude just can't stay healthy.
The next is a DT to play next to Ellis. Babineaux or Cody would fit in very nicely.

That would leave us with Safety as our biggest need going into the draft. That'd put us in prime position to take either Taylor Mays or William Moore in the first.

Corey Webster can hold down the 1 very well, but you leave him alone. He's ours

tjsunstein
11-15-2008, 02:46 PM
My fave from each group that I would target as a GM:

Quarterback - Matt Cassel
Running Back - Brandon Jacobs
Wide Receiver - T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Tight End - Leonard Pope
Offensive Tackle - Mark Tauscher
Guard - Russ Hochstein
Center - Jeff Saturday
Defensive End - Bertrand Berry
Defensive Tackle - Albert Haynesworth
Outside Linebacker - Channing Crowder
Inside Linebacker - Jonathan Vilma
Cornerback - Nnamdi Asomugha
Free Safety - Brian Dawkins
Strong Safety - Mike Brown
Kicker - Shayne Graham
Punter - Shane Lechler

If you could only get one, I'd want Haynesworth, unless I didn't have a QB and then I'd target Cassell to build for the future.

That wouldnt be a half bad NFL team.

RaiderNation
11-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Man I hope we can land a good OT,WR,DT or DT in this F/A. But then again we MUST resign Aso

trkaline
11-15-2008, 04:18 PM
That wouldnt be a half bad NFL team.

Time to make it so in madden

MetSox17
11-15-2008, 04:44 PM
If Minnesota doesn't go after Matt Cassel, i'm gonna be pissed.

Malaka
11-15-2008, 04:45 PM
If Minnesota doesn't go after Matt Cassel, i'm gonna be pissed.

I think if Warner does not retire, or the Cards do not re-sign him Warner will go to Minny, so they can live up to all that hype they were getting before the season started.

Gay Ork Wang
11-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I think if Warner does not retire, or the Cards do not re-sign him Warner will go to Minny, so they can live up to all that hype they were getting before the season started.
Warner will retire if he stops playing in Zona

Malaka
11-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Warner will retire if he stops playing in Zona

I know he said that but, Brett Favre also said he'd retire and you know what happened. I am not saying that will happen again, but I do not believe everything that comes out of players mouths, especially if he does win the MVP...

giantsfan
11-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I wonder if the Giants let Jacobs go. On one hand he's been really successful there and can wear down defenses, but on the other hand their run game generally has been awesome regardless of who is running behind that line. I'd imagine they'll try to re-sign him for the right price but if he wants too much they'll just let him walk.

Jacobs has been so much smarter on the field that now I think we make a big effort to re-sign him. We won't give up the moon because we still have eli's extension to worry about and corey webster to re-sign, as he's the best fa corner for our physical scheme with a phonetic name.

i dont even wanna know what Dansby would be capable of in that defense. just make more scarier why dont you

I'm kind of hoping BJ get's a monster deal in FA that we don't even think about matching, are able to re-sign webster reasonably during the bye week of the playoffs and then are aggressive pursuing Haynesworth or Dansby to completely beastify our front 7.

Tuck - Haynesworth - Robbens - Osi ahead of Kiwi - Pierce - Kehl would be disgusting and so would Tuck - Robbens - Alford (i think he earns a starting spot next year barring any major additions) - osi ahead of Kiwi - Pierce - Dansby.

Gay Ork Wang
11-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I know he said that but, Brett Favre also said he'd retire and you know what happened. I am not saying that will happen again, but I do not believe everything that comes out of players mouths, especially if he does win the MVP...
thats because Favre is a ******* weirdo

BlindSite
11-15-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm worried as a panthers fan, with Chris Gamble, Julius Peppers and Jordan Gross who're all playing towards a probowl level up for FA, I never thought it'd be a blessing to be missing a first round pick this year, but it just might give Hurney some space to keep two of them. Problem is Peppers is probably going to get money in the vicinity of highest paid defensive player.

Zyro_1014
11-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Jacobs has been so much smarter on the field that now I think we make a big effort to re-sign him. We won't give up the moon because we still have eli's extension to worry about and corey webster to re-sign, as he's the best fa corner for our physical scheme with a phonetic name.

I'm kind of hoping BJ get's a monster deal in FA that we don't even think about matching, are able to re-sign webster reasonably during the bye week of the playoffs and then are aggressive pursuing Haynesworth or Dansby to completely beastify our front 7.

Tuck - Haynesworth - Robbens - Osi ahead of Kiwi - Pierce - Kehl would be disgusting and so would Tuck - Robbens - Alford (i think he earns a starting spot next year barring any major additions) - osi ahead of Kiwi - Pierce - Dansby.

would put fear into any Qb....i know i wouldnt be comfortable back in that pocket lol.

giantsfan
11-15-2008, 06:43 PM
would put fear into any Qb....i know i wouldnt be comfortable back in that pocket lol.

It would make me so giddy, hell if we could get haynesworth at the level he is now I might not mind losing jacobs and webster.

Zyro_1014
11-15-2008, 06:47 PM
It would make me so giddy, hell if we could get haynesworth at the level he is now I might not mind losing jacobs and webster.

Donovan McNabb would mind!... :(

giantsfan
11-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Donovan McNabb would mind!... :(

Donovan would just get injured the week before hand so he wasn't risking his life. A dline of Kiwi - Tuck - Haynesworth - Osi coming at him on passing downs would be traumatizing, kind of like Plax over Sheldon and Strahan over Runyan where.

CashmoneyDrew
11-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Speaking of Haynesworth in any uniform that doesn't have a flaming thumbtack is a no-no.

Zyro_1014
11-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Donovan would just get injured the week before hand so he wasn't risking his life. A dline of Kiwi - Tuck - Haynesworth - Osi coming at him on passing downs would be traumatizing, kind of like Plax over Sheldon and Strahan over Runyan where.

stop with that crazy talk! makes ME hear footsteps!

MetSox17
11-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I wanna know how Giants feel about potentially losing one of either Jacobs or Webster.

Who would you rather tag? They're both gonna want their fair piece of the pie.

M.O.T.H.
11-15-2008, 07:38 PM
I dont think Warner would walk away...even w/ that Boldin scare. I dont think he wants to end it yet...he certainly has a lot left in the tank and he absolutely loves the game. I'd be shocked if he retired after this season.

BlindSite
11-15-2008, 07:43 PM
I dont think Warner would walk away...even w/ that Boldin scare. I dont think he wants to end it yet...he certainly has a lot left in the tank and he absolutely loves the game. I'd be shocked if he retired after this season.

There is something to be said about walking away not only with fame, and fortune, but while you're on top of the game and healthy.

M.O.T.H.
11-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Meh...as long as you can still do it at a high level...there is no reason to retire. I like the idea of leaving it all on the field...atleast for a QB. RB may be a little different considering many of our childhood favorites cant even walk these days. Kurt loves the game and is arguablly playing better now than in 99...I dont think he could walk away. I see him being the type that stays around for a long time.

Zyro_1014
11-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Meh...as long as you can still do it at a high level...there is no reason to retire. I like the idea of leaving it all on the field...atleast for a QB. RB may be a little different considering many of our childhood favorites cant even walk these days. Kurt loves the game and is arguablly playing better now than in 99...I dont think he could walk away. I see him being the type that stays around for a long time.

Earl Campbell :(

MetSox17
11-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Earl Campbell :(

Marion Barber III

M.O.T.H.
11-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Marion Barber III

lol...it might come to that point one day. Then it wont be a laughing matter but, I got a good laugh for now.

MetSox17
11-15-2008, 08:03 PM
lol...it might come to that point one day. Then it wont be a laughing matter but, I got a good laugh for now.

Yeah, that's the only thing i fear with MBIII. He gets so much praise for his running style that it pumps him up into doing it even more, which in the end will be detrimental to his post-NFL life.

Bills2083
11-15-2008, 08:09 PM
To the Cards fans on here, how has Dansby been playing this season?
How is he in coverage?

M.O.T.H.
11-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I love Marion but, i do think we'll see a noticeable regression before long...hell, this season his running power has been sporadic with a heaftier load. He also saw his first real injury w/ the bruised ribs...which doesnt sound too bad but, being a power back...that could be quite the nagging injury. You figure a great deal of backs see a diminishment in performance at 30 but, a lot of those guys dont take nearly as much punishment...I hate to say it but, I really do have to question Marion's longevitiy. I really dont think he's going to last all that long. It's not like he's a burner either that could rely on pure speed in the latter years. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Burns336
11-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Just hope Felix gets more touches...

I think Channing Crowder is underrated as far as this years FA's go

giantsfan
11-15-2008, 08:43 PM
I wanna know how Giants feel about potentially losing one of either Jacobs or Webster.

Who would you rather tag? They're both gonna want their fair piece of the pie.

As I've said before I love how much smarter jacobs is running this season but unless we're bringing in a superstar like AH or Aso Webster is our must re-sign. He's a top 10 corner for sure this season and is really elevating our secondary so that pass rush doesn't have to be as dominant as last year's.

Most likely scenario is we re-sign Webster to long term deal during the bye week in the playoffs if we clinch a bye or in the early in the offseason and then if Jacobs hits FA we lose him because someone is going to pay that man a **** ton of money, and it probably won't be us unless he takes a discount, which is plausible but I'm not going to bank on it.

We've got great depth at RB and still have eli's extension to factor into our future payroll. I could see us starting next season with Ward, Bradshaw and a rookie heading our troika.

Geo
11-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Jacobs will go for the biggest payday, I think. He's a bruiser playing on a 4th round rookie contract, and already has a ring.

I don't rule out the Giants keeping him, although the closer he is to being an UFA, the more money he'll get.

Mr. Stiller
11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm worried as a panthers fan, with Chris Gamble, Julius Peppers and Jordan Gross who're all playing towards a probowl level up for FA, I never thought it'd be a blessing to be missing a first round pick this year, but it just might give Hurney some space to keep two of them. Problem is Peppers is probably going to get money in the vicinity of highest paid defensive player.

I can't see a first round contract really stop the Panthers from Signing those three.

When you think about it.. You really have 2 Top 20 Picks last year in the 2nd year of their contract... as opposed to 1 top 20 pick last year and 1 20-32 pick this year.

aNYtitan
11-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Get real. There's some good players on that defense, but Haynesworth is what makes it all tick. Just look at how the defense dropped off last year in games that he sat out from injury.
I 100% completely agree with this statement. To say that the Titans defense would not be hurt by losing Haynesworth is like saying the Colts would not be hurt by losing Peyton Manning. He is that sort of leader along the defensive front 7 for the Titans. He opens up the holes for linebackers to blitz by taking on two blockers, he also allows for KVB and The Freak to be successful as they are facing blockers one on one. He is also the reason that Tony Brown has become a very good and underrated DT in the league. It is my honest opinion that the Titans will stop at nothing to make sure he stays in a Titans uniform, most likely making him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.

Though there is little to no chance of this occuring, given that Kearse is signed into next season and will most likely be back, imagine lining up Peppers next to Haynesworth. That would give us two bull rushers along the outside, with massive interior lineman to swallow up anyone on the inside. If the Titans have money to spare, following the Haynesworth negotiations, the number 1 target should be TJ Houshmandzadeh, given that they should go after Nnamdi Asomugha but will probably be given top CB money. He would be instantly the #1 WR, a greta route runner and can make those acrobatic catches. Would love to see him in Titan blue

giantsfan
11-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Jacobs will go for the biggest payday, I think. He's a bruiser playing on a 4th round rookie contract, and already has a ring.

I don't rule out the Giants keeping him, although the closer he is to being an UFA, the more money he'll get.

I agree, although the way we use him really does protect him from injuries and will help his longevity. On another team he'll be looked at for 25 carries a game behind a worse oline so I could see his career being shorter elsewhere and so costing him money long term. Either way I wish him the best cause he's been a beast and I love watching him run.

LonghornsLegend
11-15-2008, 10:47 PM

I know they have the cap space, so I don't see why they would penny pinch, it's not like there are alot of other guys who are a big concern about bringing back except maybe Finnegan?

CashmoneyDrew
11-15-2008, 11:02 PM
I know they have the cap space, so I don't see why they would penny pinch, it's not like there are alot of other guys who are a big concern about bringing back except maybe Finnegan?

They already locked up Finnegan long-term before the season.

Dam8610
11-15-2008, 11:51 PM
I 100% completely agree with this statement. To say that the Titans defense would not be hurt by losing Haynesworth is like saying the Colts would not be hurt by losing Peyton Manning. He is that sort of leader along the defensive front 7 for the Titans. He opens up the holes for linebackers to blitz by taking on two blockers, he also allows for KVB and The Freak to be successful as they are facing blockers one on one. He is also the reason that Tony Brown has become a very good and underrated DT in the league. It is my honest opinion that the Titans will stop at nothing to make sure he stays in a Titans uniform, most likely making him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.

I certainly hope so, I can't wait to watch Haynesworth when he's not playing for money anymore, especially if the Titans keep him.

Zyro_1014
11-16-2008, 01:00 AM
I certainly hope so, I can't wait to watch Haynesworth when he's not playing for money anymore, especially if the Titans keep him.

i could see that man still being dominate under any type of conditions.

i would like to hope so at least....

CashmoneyDrew
11-16-2008, 01:03 AM

You really need to lay off of the kool-aid. :rolleyes:

gameplaya2435
11-16-2008, 08:07 AM
I lol'd at Jevon Kearse doing anything

aNYtitan
11-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I lol'd at Jevon Kearse doing anything

Well he has done what he has needed to do. Stay on the field, make the necessary plays and be able to drop back into coverage when necessary. He was signed to a contract that was min risk max reward type deal.

XxXdragonXxX
11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Outside Linebacker - Eric Barton, Channing Crowder, Angelo Crowell, Karlos Dansby, Takeo Spikes

I hope NFL GMs don't have LeRoy Hill on their list of top FAs either...

PACKmanN
11-16-2008, 12:34 PM
That's just a list of who we have, not in any order right?

correct...

Dam8610
11-16-2008, 01:31 PM
You really need to lay off of the kool-aid. :rolleyes:

I think it's you that needs to lay off the kool-aid, unless of course you can explain why Albert Haynesworth was an average player for the first 5 years of his career, then magically started playing better when there was money on the line for him. His career production prior to the last 2 seasons vs. his production the last two seasons SCREAMS "playing for a contract", when you combine with the fact that he wants to hit FA (before hearing offers from the Titans), it's hard to argue that he isn't playing for a contract.

CashmoneyDrew
11-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I think it's you that needs to lay off the kool-aid, unless of course you can explain why Albert Haynesworth was an average player for the first 5 years of his career, then magically started playing better when there was money on the line for him. His career production prior to the last 2 seasons vs. his production the last two seasons SCREAMS "playing for a contract", when you combine with the fact that he wants to hit FA (before hearing offers from the Titans), it's hard to argue that he isn't playing for a contract.

No. His play was not "average". It was good. It wasn't as great as it is now, but it was still good. He also didn't magically start playing better when his contract was on the line. He greatly improved after reassessing himself during his suspension and training down in Atlanta during that suspension. He was much improved that season after he came back from his suspension. And where have you heard that he wants to hit FA before hearing offers from the Titans? He and his agent negotiated with the Titans very much this offseason while he was still under the tag. And from everything I've heard him say on his radio shows around here he wants to remain a Titan, he just can't negotiate a new contract until after the final game of the season.

JETS5128
11-16-2008, 03:50 PM
If the jets can get one of the top corners i will cream my jeans

The Legend
11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
2. DE Terrell Suggs
3. CB Nnamdi Asomugha

Really!?!?!?

Bruce Banner
11-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Tags and scheme aside, I think the Bucs will end up with one of these three.

Haynesworth, Aso, Suggs.

MetSox17
11-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Tags and scheme aside, I think the Bucs will end up with one of these three.

Haynesworth, Aso, Suggs.

Of those three, the only one i can actually see hitting the open market is Suggs, and even then, he probably doesn't wanna leave Baltimore.

Bruce Banner
11-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Of those three, the only one i can actually see hitting the open market is Suggs, and even then, he probably doesn't wanna leave Baltimore.

Yeah, it would be crazy if the two top defensive players in the league (just going with the general opinion) both hit the market.

I thought Suggs' relationship with the organization was shaky at best.

MetSox17
11-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah, it would be crazy if the two top defensive players in the league (just going with the general opinion) both hit the market.

I thought Suggs' relationship with the organization was shaky at best.

Yeah, he's had it pretty rough there with the FO, but i'm sure he loves being around that defense. If they're willing to pay him something similar to market value, i think he stays, easily.

As for Haynesworth, he's getting re-signed i think. Aso is gonna get tagged and traded, most likely.

Leon Sandcastle
11-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Isn't OJ Atowge and LeRoy Hill FA's at the end of this year.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
11-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Snyder needs to go after Peppers and Dansby hard...I might be dreamin but I would love that...Jordan Gross as well

scottyboy
11-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Snyder needs to go after Peppers and Dansby hard...I might be dreamin but I would love that...Jordan Gross as well

yes because Snyder buying winning FA has worked out great thus far...

Mr. Stiller
11-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, he's had it pretty rough there with the FO, but i'm sure he loves being around that defense. If they're willing to pay him something similar to market value, i think he stays, easily.

As for Haynesworth, he's getting re-signed i think. Aso is gonna get tagged and traded, most likely.

If Suggs chooses to leave I could see him going to Zona and playing pretty much the same position there.

Hines
11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
If the Steelers dont go after Vernon Carrey or Jordan Gross, I will be extremely dissapointed in my team.

SuperKevin
11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm starting to hope Buffalo throws big money at him. He's playing better than Edwards by far and he'd be better than a rookie

Geo
11-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Who are you referring to exactly, SK?

Btw, I think the Browns cut Derek Anderson after this season. Quinn is the franchise, doesn't make financial sense to still have Anderson on the books for the next two years.

So even though Stafford is the only legit first round option come this April, there might be some guys available in free agency for teams needy enough.

thebow305
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
I am salivating already seeing all those available corners. I would kill to have either Gamble or Asomugha. I can't see the Raiders letting Aso walk, but with Gamble there's a chance. I would love Gamble though, a local kid who would look great in aqua and orange.

SuperKevin
11-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Who are you referring to exactly, SK?

Btw, I think the Browns cut Derek Anderson after this season. Quinn is the franchise, doesn't make financial sense to still have Anderson on the books for the next two years.

So even though Stafford is the only legit first round option come this April, there might be some guys available in free agency for teams needy enough.

Sorry thought I had written this in the Cassell thread.

D-Rod
11-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Jenkins and Babineaux just resigned by the Falcons...

Beans
11-25-2008, 04:46 PM
I can't see the Raiders letting Aso walk,

It's Al Davis, anything is possible.

Babylon
11-25-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm starting to hope Buffalo throws big money at him. He's playing better than Edwards by far and he'd be better than a rookie

Personally don't think Cassel would be an improvement over Edwards, Cassel doesn't perform well under a pass rush and he doesn't have the arm strength to seperate himself from what they have there in Buffalo.

Geo
11-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Jenkins and Babineaux just resigned by the Falcons...
I like the Falcons re-signing Michael Jenkins, he's a solid guy who is an excellent complement to White opposite him and Douglass in the slot.

Numbers?

It's Al Davis, anything is possible.
Davis will franchise Asomugha two more times before letting him walk, and even then he'll spend the entire time trying to lock him up. I don't see Asomugha leaving Oakland, Davis will make him the highest-paid corner in the league.

katnip
11-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Nnamdi Asomugha is the best.. I remember him in the Jet/Raiders game. Okay. No I don't

GB12
11-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Davis will franchise Asomugha two more times before letting him walk, and even then he'll spend the entire time trying to lock him up. I don't see Asomugha leaving Oakland, Davis will make him the highest-paid corner in the league.
Unless it's twice the amount of the next guy that still wouldn't make me want to resign with Oakland.

CC.SD
11-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Jordan Gross is at the very top of my list. Then a beastly, experienced ILB like Ray or Farrior.

and then I woke up.

Hines
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Jordan Gross is at the very top of my list. Then a beastly, experienced ILB like Ray or Farrior.

and then I woke up.

Farrior got resigned.

CC.SD
11-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Farrior got resigned.

Dammit, meant Foote. Either way I want an ILB who knows how to both lead and crack the hell out of somebody.

Leon Sandcastle
11-25-2008, 11:06 PM
I'd love for the Bills to sign LeRoy Hill and O.J. Atogwe.

diabsoule
11-25-2008, 11:14 PM

I want the Saints to sign Dansby and I hope the FO is smart enough to throw enough money as needed to sign him.

RaiderNation
11-25-2008, 11:58 PM
If the raiders can some how sign Peppers, Gross or Dansby I could call the offseason a success. We get a pro bowler at DE, OT or OLB plus draft a OT if we dont get Gross or Crabtree if we do

Also signing/franchising Aso will be very important, maybe even more important than signing one of those F/A

SuperMcGee
11-26-2008, 12:02 AM

Atogwe is the ultimate ball burglar. Like George Wilson x100. All of the burglars would go broke.

BamaFalcon59
11-26-2008, 01:30 AM
The Falcons won't have money for free agents, they locked up superstar Michael Jenkins.

Great signing, all he does it make plays. Pefect number two for Matt Ryan.

/sarcasm

fenikz
11-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Stay away from Dansby, we saw him 1st

god that was an amazing draft class

Fitz, Dansby, Dockett, & Smith, Graves is a genius at drafting

BlindSite
11-26-2008, 02:16 AM
Dansby is a nice player.

I hate FA, Gamble, Gross and Peppers will be impossible to keep as a collective. Only question is who's expendable, starting DE, LT or LCB.

Hines
11-26-2008, 07:41 AM
I just hope the Steelers get enough cap room to sign one of the tackle free agents. I really want Carrey but I wouldnt be mad if we signed Gross or Tauscher.

Even though he has been a total bust, I would take a flier on Shaun Cody and have him play DE in a 34 since I think that is his natural scheme.

If we sign one of the three tackles, I would move Colon to RG, Stapleton to C, resign Kemo, and draft a LT.

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Dansby is a nice player.

I hate FA, Gamble, Gross and Peppers will be impossible to keep as a collective. Only question is who's expendable, starting DE, LT or LCB.

Ultimately, i think they'll let Gross leave. If Peppers leaves, that defensive line is crap. You'll probably have to break the bank for him, but it'll be worth it.

Gamble probably gets tagged. Or Vice versa with the Peppers situation.

Bruce Banner
11-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Gamble probably gets tagged. Or Vice versa with the Peppers situation.

Which way would you go?

Tag Pep or Gamble?

(madden world where players don't care)

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Which way would you go?

Tag Pep or Gamble?

(madden world where players don't care)

You're not really saving much money tagging either, so i'd probably tag Gamble, who just started performing at a very nice level. I know he was consistently in the decent to good range, but that has obviously changed this year. I think you know what you're getting with Peppers, therefore you can risk the big money with him already.

Geo
11-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Franchising Peppers for '09 would cost 17M or more. Ouch.

TitleTown088
11-26-2008, 11:29 AM
How is Gross in ZBS?

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Geo is correct. Oversaw that little stipulation. He's making 14 million this year, if he gets tagged, he makes 120% of that (since that salary is higher than the average for the top five DE's).

Like i said though, i doubt he gets the tag.

Geo
11-26-2008, 12:17 PM
I just want to say, because it's pissing me off when people say this:

If the Patriots don't franchise tag (or re-sign) Matt Cassel, that doesn't mean they are losing him for nothing. If they don't sign a free agent to a big contract, then they should get a very good (likely 3rd rounder) compensatory pick for the 2010 Draft.

Just like they will get a 3rd round compensatory pick this April for having lost Asante Samuel.

D-Rod
11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
If the Falcons got two 2nds for Schaub, after a couple of decent games, think what the Pats could get for Cassel. Compared to that, a pick at the bottom of the 3rd may as well be nothing.

Quite how they persuade Cassel to sign anything though is a different matter. If he has half a brain, he'll keep his freedom to choose where he goes. Not all QB jobs are the same.

PACKmanN
11-26-2008, 01:02 PM
If the Falcons got two 2nds for Schaub, after a couple of decent games, think what the Pats could get for Cassel. Compared to that, a pick at the bottom of the 3rd may as well be nothing.

Quite how they persuade Cassel to sign anything though is a different matter. If he has half a brain, he'll keep his freedom to choose where he goes. Not all QB jobs are the same.

or they can franchise tag him and trade him.

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 01:03 PM

If the Patriots have every intention of trading him, they could tag him.

Turtlepower
11-26-2008, 01:11 PM
If the Patriots have every intention of trading him, they could tag him.

If the Pats franchised Cassell, he would be the 3rd highest paid QB in the league and make almost as much as Brady.

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 01:13 PM
If the Pats franchised Cassell, he would be the 3rd highest paid QB in the league and make almost as much as Brady.

Which they would then dump and free themselves of any salary. By tagging him they hold his rights, no one ever signs the franchise tag until late in TC anyway.

If they tag him, and Cassell signs automatically, then i'm not sure how that would work.

Turtlepower
11-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Which they would then dump and free themselves of any salary. By tagging him they hold his rights, no one ever signs the franchise tag until late in TC anyway.

If they tag him, and Cassell signs automatically, then i'm not sure how that would work.

Why the **** would Cassell not sign a $14 million contract? Most people don't sign the franchise tag because they want to move on to a different team or because they can earn more money in the open market. There is no way in hell that the Pats tag Cassell. NONE.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 01:20 PM
he would earn more than brady

Turtlepower
11-26-2008, 01:23 PM
he would earn more than brady

He would earn $400,000 less than Brady. =P

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Why the **** would Cassell not sign a $14 million contract? Most people don't sign the franchise tag because they want to move on to a different team or because they can earn more money in the open market. There is no way in hell that the Pats tag Cassell. NONE.

Because should he go to another team, he'll make at the very least that, just as a signing bonus. Someone is gonna pay him big money, and he and his agent know that.

And where are you getting that 14 million dollar number? Last i checked, the franchise tag for quarterabcks was close to 10 million, not 14.

The very reasons you've offered as to why players don't sign their tags apply here as well. He's playing very well, and he is gonna be worth a lot more than the ten million he's gonna get for a year with the Patriots.

GB12
11-26-2008, 02:20 PM
And where are you getting that 14 million dollar number? Last i checked, the franchise tag for quarterabcks was close to 10 million, not 14.
The franchise tag salary is the average of the top 5 players at that position. Aaron Rodgers is the 4th highest paid QB this season and he's making $13 million. It's not going to be less than that.

Dam8610
11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Why do people always forget the transition tag? Granted, it's easy to poison pill on the transition tag (in fact, that's how the poison pill was invented), but it still does exist.

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 03:02 PM
The franchise tag salary is the average of the top 5 players at that position. Aaron Rodgers is the 4th highest paid QB this season and he's making $13 million. It's not going to be less than that.

I realize that. But i think the only number that's taken into account is salary being paid out, not the actual cap number.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 03:04 PM
isnt it a 1 year deal then for 14million?

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 03:17 PM
It's the average of the actual salaries, not bonuses, or anything else. The check they get weekly X 16 / 5.

If anyone has a link on where we can get the salary numbers, it would be wonderful.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 03:18 PM
so they would let him sign and then cut him?

Menardo75
11-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Hey if anyone wants Jonas Jennings...

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:02 PM
so they would let him sign and then cut him?

Huh? What are you talking about?

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:05 PM
i dont see how you think they are going to deal with that. If they franchise him he is going to sign it immideatly. now what?

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:09 PM
i dont see how you think they are going to deal with that. If they franchise him he is going to sign it immideatly. now what?

Depends what Cassell wants. It's no given that he'll sign it immediately. He can command at least twice as much guaranteed money elsewhere compared to the tag, and have long term stability, along with a starting quarterback job. They can work something out that way to make it work, or they can let him sign with another team through free-agency, stay free of action through FA and then receive a glorified fourth rounder next year.

I still need to read up on the ramifications of trading someone away that has signed their franchise tag.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:10 PM
how is anyone going to pay him more than that? he could just sit through this year for 14 Millionen and get on the market next year

Dr. Gonzo
11-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Depends what Cassell wants. It's no given that he'll sign it immediately. He can command at least twice as much guaranteed money elsewhere compared to the tag, and have long term stability, along with a starting quarterback job. They can work something out that way to make it work, or they can let him sign with another team through free-agency, stay free of action through FA and then receive a glorified fourth rounder next year.

I still need to read up on the ramifications of trading someone away that has signed their franchise tag.

If there NFL where like Madden games trading away your franchised player has no ramifications :)

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:19 PM
how is anyone going to pay him more than that? he could just sit through this year for 14 Millionen and get on the market next year

Schaub was guaranteed close to 10, with twenty million coming in the first three, and a ten million dollar option after the third year.

Derek Anderson got 14 million guaranteed from Cleveland.

Rodgers got 20 million guaranteed from Green Bay.

I'm just saying, that there is desperate teams out there looking for quarterback help (which is not easy to find, btw). Whether he's worth the money or not is completely irrelevant, but if he sits there on the bench for twelve months, he's gonna lose a TON of market value.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:20 PM
yes, but he would get both, those 14 million + probably a good contract the year that comes. why would the Pats risk that?

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:22 PM
yes, but he would get both, those 14 million + probably a good contract the year that comes. why would the Pats risk that?

Again, depending on the ramifications of trading a player that has signed their franchise offer.

If there is none, what do the Pats have to lose? They can trade him away for an early pick, and that's it. If anyone has information on what happens in this situation, post it, and if i'm wrong i'll squash the idea, but to say that it's completely unfathomable is a little much.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:23 PM
U think the players/team would really appreciate that? they lose credibility

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:26 PM
The franchise tag has always been used as leverage and to buy time with the player. The reason it was implemented was to allow teams to keep their players, or get something in return for them. Teams have made it clear that should they want to tag a certain player, they could care less about what they think or feel (Charles Woodson, Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs...).

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:28 PM
yes, but just to resign them. This is different. No way they gonna work out something with Cassel. He wont get starter money for being a backup

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:29 PM
In this instance, the only leverage they would have is to retain his rights to be able to trade him. I'm sure there will be a team out there willing to throw a second rounder out there for him.

Shane P. Hallam
11-26-2008, 04:31 PM
You'll see it used as leverage next year as well with T.J. Houshmandzadeh I imagine.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:32 PM
and thats exactly what the bears could have done with Berrian. u really dont franchise a player to trade him just because u could get a second rounder out of it. U limit the player without any chance to get to a team he wants. I know its a business, but u think other FAs wont think about this? People think: This organisation wont help me and all and they think of them first without thinking of the players?

Could they franchise him? prolly. The decision would be really dumb though

@jbond: TJ, imo is a lil bit different because they could still sign him. but with Cassel its prolly about 99.9% sure that he wont be paid the money he would get in FA and he wont start

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:37 PM
and thats exactly what the bears could have done with Berrian. u really dont franchise a player to trade him just because u could get a second rounder out of it. U limit the player without any chance to get to a team he wants. I know its a business, but u think other FAs wont think about this? People think: This organisation wont help me and all and they think of them first without thinking of the players?

Could they franchise him? prolly. The decision would be really dumb though

@jbond: TJ, imo is a lil bit different because they could still sign him. but with Cassel its prolly about 99.9% sure that he wont be paid the money he would get in FA and he wont start

Since when do teams give a crap about where the player goes? If he's tagged and traded, the team doing the trading WILL sign him to a new contract, that will more than likely be worth more than the guaranteed 11 million he gets from the franchise tag. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

If they tag him it will be to get rid of him with some value in return, not to keep him on the bench, obviously.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:38 PM
The problem with franchising and trading, is the NFLPA doesn't allow a team to franchise a player they intend to trade.

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:39 PM
And we all know how the Patriots have been the models of ethics, right?

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:41 PM
so they gonna say: **** off NFLPA?

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:43 PM
The NFLPA has no reason to get in their business unless the Patriots basically come out and say "Yeah, we're tagging Cassell to trade him". What they do and how they handle their team is not up to the NFLPA.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:44 PM
yea so what would the other reasoning be for Tagging him? Unless brady wont be back next year, there is no real other reason for them

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:45 PM
yea so what would the other reasoning be for Tagging him? Unless brady wont be back next year, there is no real other reason for them

But they can't sit there and speculate on what they wanna do with Cassell and take action, preventing a team from obtaining first day picks. It's not gonna happen. The only thing that will stop the Patriots from tagging and trading Cassell will be; possible ramifications from trading away a player that has signed their franchise tender, or them really just not giving a crap about Cassell and what he's worth.

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:50 PM
seriously what would they have to speculate about? either sign a backup for top5 QB money or trade. putting 29 Million in ur QBs is dumb...

Write this down: The only way they'll tag Cassel is if Tom Brady's knee rehab takes a major turn for the worse, to the point the Pats don't feel confident Brady will be ready to start the 2009 season. That's it. Because the NFLPA won't allow teams to franchise players if they have no intention of keeping them, the Patriots won't be able to franchise Cassel if they intend to trade him. So, barring a Brady setback, expect Cassel to be a free-agent and end up making $9 million a year with (pick one) Minnesota, Detroit, San Francisco, St. Louis or whatever team Josh McDaniels coaches in 2009, should he be fortunate enough to get a head-coaching job.

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Where's the link to that?

Gay Ork Wang
11-26-2008, 04:55 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/11/16/week11/1.html

then again, i dont know how credible that source is

Geo
11-26-2008, 06:12 PM
or they can franchise tag him and trade him.
That they could do. But to franchise him, they have to have the 14M or so available on the roster, even to just have him temporarily before trading him. I'm not sure what their situation is salary-wise, I believe Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour are entering contract years in '09 but the impetus to lock them extends past a proposed Cassel tag & trade. If they can make the room for the tag.

Why do people always forget the transition tag? Granted, it's easy to poison pill on the transition tag (in fact, that's how the poison pill was invented), but it still does exist.
The transition tag kind of sucks imo. You give another team a chance to make an offer, which you have 7 days to match, and you get no compensation. Better off either franchise tagging a player or letting them walk for a potential compensatory pick.

Geo
11-26-2008, 06:16 PM
That is the potential risk for the Patriots, either they are confident in landing an acceptable trade or in having him for '09 depending on Brady's knee, if they do franchise tag him. Once he signs his name to the franchise tender, that money is completely guaranteed.

Of course as a player, Cassel will want long-term security and money too.

BeerBaron
11-26-2008, 06:19 PM
That is the potential risk for the Patriots, either they are confident in landing an acceptable trade or in having him for '09 depending on Brady's knee, if they do franchise tag him. Once he signs his name to the franchise tender, that money is completely guaranteed.

Right, that 14 million would be nice now but its only for one year and if during that year, he say, blows his own knee, the pats could just let him go after that year is up and he would be stuck coming off an injury trying to get more money on the market.

Its why a lot of players don't like the franchise tag even though they still can make a whole lot of guaranteed money that way.

11-26-2008, 06:36 PM
That they could do. But to franchise him, they have to have the 14M or so available on the roster, even to just have him temporarily before trading him. I'm not sure what their situation is salary-wise, I believe Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour are entering contract years in '09 but the impetus to lock them extends past a proposed Cassel tag & trade. If they can make the room for the tag.

I'm not sure this situation will come up unless the Pats need another month or two to determine Brady's status for the '09 season therefore forcing them into signing the monstrous franchise tender.

I don't think it would be a huge issue with Cassel as it may have been with others in the past and would be an easy pay day while giving him the potential to further solidify himself as the real deal in NFL circles. Plus if Brady's status ever improved shortly thereafter they could turn it into a tag and trade with no shortage in potential suitors.

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Right, that 14 million would be nice now but its only for one year and if during that year, he say, blows his own knee, the pats could just let him go after that year is up and he would be stuck coming off an injury trying to get more money on the market.

Its why a lot of players don't like the franchise tag even though they still can make a whole lot of guaranteed money that way.

Which is exactly what i've been talking about for the past page. His number one goal is to sign a contract that will make him the starter for a team in need of one, and will pay him more than the reported 14 million dollars. Why run the risk of potential injury/loss in market value?

I think the market has shown that there is a demand for quarterbacks, regardless of what the value is. Again, look at the Matt Schaub trade. If Cleveland chooses to, there will be a team out there that will give up something decent for Derek Anderson.

It makes too much sense for the Patriots to tag and trade, barring any interruptions from the NFLPA.

BeerBaron
11-26-2008, 06:50 PM
The NFLPA isn't really even an obstacle.

All the Pats have to do is say that they're worried about the long term health of Tom Brady for the 09 football season and want Cassell there just in case. If they find a trade partner, all they have to say is that Brady is coming along well and Cassell wasn't needed.

NFLPA can't do anything about it.

MetSox17
11-26-2008, 06:54 PM
The NFLPA isn't really even an obstacle.

All the Pats have to do is say that they're worried about the long term health of Tom Brady for the 09 football season and want Cassell there just in case. If they find a trade partner, all they have to say is that Brady is coming along well and Cassell wasn't needed.

NFLPA can't do anything about it.

That's exactly what i was thinking about while driving, a bit earlier. That they just need to claim that they're unsure about who will take over their QB situation, and bam, problem solved.

I just haven't been able to find a good link to where i can read on the ramifications (if any) of trading away a player who has already signed their franchise tender.

Since there is no bonus money, there is nothing to be prorated into the cap, technically (even though it's guaranteed), the 14 million is just salary that's being paid out weekly. I'm wondering if team B takes over payments, or if it just disappears once he signs the contract.

Matthew Jones
11-26-2008, 08:13 PM
I doubt the Patriots franchise tag Cassel only because there remains the possibility that teams wouldn't trade for him and the Pats would be screwed making it under the salary cap. They'll probably end up getting a nice compensation pick for him next year (third rounder most likely given how big his contract will be) anyways.

I do think they could get a first-round pick for him if they did franchise him, though, although I certainly wouldn't want a high first-rounder. I could see an average team like the Vikings trading their first for him, as they'll miss out on Stafford/Bradford most likely, and I don't think they'd want Tebow/Freeman (or at least, that's taking a major risk.) If he gets traded to a team like Detroit, I'd want next year's first-rounder instead for the financial risk involved in picking #1.

Geo
11-26-2008, 08:28 PM
There looks to be a number of quarterbacks available this offseason, likely moreso than normal:

Matt Cassel FA
Kurt Warner FA
Kerry Collins FA
Donovan McNabb TRADED
Derek Anderson CUT/TRADED
Jeff Garcia FA
JT O'Sullivan FA
Rex Grossman FA
Byron Leftwich FA
JP Losman FA

Somewhere, Jon Gruden just got really hard. ;)

Some will be re-signed by their current teams, like Warner in Zona.

fenikz
11-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Warner and the Cardinals are working on a 3 year deal right now i believe

Matthew Jones
11-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Matt Cassel FA - 49ers
Kurt Warner FA - Cardinals
Kerry Collins FA - Titans
Donovan McNabb TRADED - Bears
Derek Anderson CUT/TRADED - Vikings

That's my best estimation. Lions draft a QB. Anyone think Bulger gets cut?

BeerBaron
11-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Matt Cassel FA - 49ers
Kurt Warner FA - Cardinals
Kerry Collins FA - Titans
Donovan McNabb TRADED - Bears
Derek Anderson CUT/TRADED - Vikings

That's my best estimation. Lions draft a QB. Anyone think Bulger gets cut?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ky-le Or-ton Ky-le Or-ton.

Everyone get the McNabb to the Bears thought out of your heads this second. I will absolutely relinquish my fandom if they pulled such a stunt.

Matthew Jones
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ky-le Or-ton Ky-le Or-ton.

Everyone get the McNabb to the Bears thought out of your heads this second. I will absolutely relinquish my fandom if they pulled such a stunt.

I guess Orton is doing pretty good but McNabb has been a top QB for a while now. Hard call.

BeerBaron
11-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I guess Orton is doing pretty good but McNabb has been a top QB for a while now. Hard call.

The good QB for a while as in......hasn't been one for a while. I don't think he's been consistently healthy or played consistently well since oh......2004?

yeah no thanks.....and the Iggles would probably want a lot more than I'd ever pay for a guy who's on the wrong side of 30, can't stay healthy, can't play consistently well anymore, AND is owed over 10 million dollars next season.

No thanks....no thanks.

Smokey Joe
11-26-2008, 09:31 PM
With Quinn's recent injury and the fact they signed Anderson to the contract that they did leads me to believe Cleveland is very likely to keep both Anderson and Quinn for next year and let them battle it out. Worst case scenario is that Quinn gets another year of seasoning and starts when Cleveland gets rid of Anderson.

holt_bruce81
11-26-2008, 09:49 PM

Atogwe is overrated, His interceptions are pretty much pure luck. I think two of them this year have come from tipped passes that fall right into his lap. He's atrocious against the run, he misses tackle after tackle.

Matthew Jones
11-26-2008, 09:51 PM
The good QB for a while as in......hasn't been one for a while. I don't think he's been consistently healthy or played consistently well since oh......2004?

yeah no thanks.....and the Iggles would probably want a lot more than I'd ever pay for a guy who's on the wrong side of 30, can't stay healthy, can't play consistently well anymore, AND is owed over 10 million dollars next season.

No thanks....no thanks.

I definitely see where you're coming from, but...

2007: 3,324 yards (61.5%), 19 TD, 7 INT, 89.9 rating. Got sacked 44 times and still started 14 games.

2006: 2,647 yards (57%), 18 TD, 6 INT, 95.5 rating. Started 10 games.

2005: 2,507 yards (59.1%), 16 TD, 9 INT, 85.0 rating. Started 9 games.

2004: 3,875 yards (64%), 31 TD, 8 INT, 104.7 rating. Started 15 games.

Even this year, he's having a "bad" year of an 81.1 passer rating, which isn't terrible, especially considering he's played a tough schedule.

RaiderNation
11-27-2008, 01:02 AM
I see McNabb going to either Detriot or San Francisco. For some reason I see Cassel wearing a Vikings jersey

BlindSite
11-27-2008, 05:32 AM
So SF sign McNabb who's unfamiliar with their offense and the Vikings don't go after him which would reunite him with his former OC?

What?

Gay Ork Wang
11-27-2008, 07:46 AM

he wont be injured cause he wouldnt really play

11-27-2008, 09:55 AM
he wont be injured cause he wouldnt really play

We don't really know that for certain yet ....

keylime_5
11-27-2008, 10:02 AM
I see McNabb going to either Detriot or San Francisco. For some reason I see Cassel wearing a Vikings jersey

I think it will be the other way around. McNabb to Minnesota and Cassel to San Francisco. Derek Anderson to somebody, maybe SF or MIN or DET or STL.

Gay Ork Wang
11-27-2008, 10:30 AM
We don't really know that for certain yet ....
yes and if he is going to play since Brady is still injured, they would work out a deal. thats the only possiblity i seem, if brady still cant go they resign him/Franchise him

SenorGato
11-27-2008, 02:00 PM
There looks to be a number of quarterbacks available this offseason, likely moreso than normal:

Matt Cassel FA
Kurt Warner FA
Kerry Collins FA
Donovan McNabb TRADED
Derek Anderson CUT/TRADED
Jeff Garcia FA
JT O'Sullivan FA
Rex Grossman FA
Byron Leftwich FA
JP Losman FA

Somewhere, Jon Gruden just got really hard. ;)

Some will be re-signed by their current teams, like Warner in Zona.

Losman would be a great risk for a team to take...if the Lions invested something in their OL he'd work really well with CJ.