PDA

View Full Version : Official Lovie Smith has got to go thread!

Smokey Joe
11-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I think it's clear that he has to go. To me, it seems almost as if he has lost the locker room, and that he's been way too soft on the players. Not only were our players getting tossed around like rag dolls today, they showed no emotion and no heart. I place that directly on the HC. It's obvious he hasn't been doing a good job and the D was more successful under Ron Rivera. Change is needed and I'm all for it.

While I would fire Lovie and the whole coaching staff, I would keep Angelo for at least 2 more years. As for who I would hire as a replacement for Lovie, it would likely be Cowher (if he wanted to return to the NFL). I like Spagnola, but it looks like he has plans to be the DC for the Giants for at least a few more years.

I think getting someone like Cowher in as HC would be greatly beneficial to the team. I think someone like him would be able to take control of the locker room and light a fire under the players asses. He's someone who won't take ****, unlike Lovie, IMO. The only problem with this would be the transition from a 4-3 team to a 3-4 team, but any transition like that would take place between a couple of years. I'd also love to see us get Lane Kiffen as the OC as well... talk about a hell of a coaching staff with Cowher and Kiffen.

If we don't make the playoffs this year and pick in the top 15, I want Lovie gone.

bearfan
11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I saw this idea on the Bears MB, and the switch to the 3-4 doesnt seem like it would be all that bad. Briggs and Urlacher at ILB, Anderson at OLB and they were saying Alex Brown at OLB (idk how well that would work out). I think Lovie needs to start coaching, I wouldnt mind seeing him go, and if he stays an extra season its fine by me.

Monomach
11-16-2008, 07:17 PM
He's a pretty bad coach as far as in-game work goes, but with the money he's guaranteed the McCaskeys will never ditch him. He's here until his contract is up. It's such a certainty that it's not really worth talking about.

As long as the Bears sell all of the tickets to every game, the McCaskeys will not take a loss of that magnitude. It's just not worth it to them.

You have to remember that they're not football fans. They don;t actually care how many games we win as long as our cash keeps rolling in. They'll spend right up to the cap to keep the pitchforks safely put away, but they're not going to pay five million a year so Lovie can sit at home eating cheetos. No way.

shady00
11-16-2008, 07:40 PM
What do you suggest we do to solve our pass rush + terrible coverage?
Because I don't think a different coach could fix it either.

Race for the Heisman
11-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I saw this idea on the Bears MB, and the switch to the 3-4 doesnt seem like it would be all that bad. Briggs and Urlacher at ILB, Anderson at OLB and they were saying Alex Brown at OLB (idk how well that would work out). I think Lovie needs to start coaching, I wouldnt mind seeing him go, and if he stays an extra season its fine by me.

Where does Tommie Harris go? We have all these relatively undersized defensive tackle and some 4-3 DE/DT tweeners (Idonije); who plays nose? Although, with this draft and free agency you could probably make the switch in one season, but it doesn't make sense to do it.

bearsfan_51
11-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Well I've already said this has no chance of happening, so there's no need to rehash this (although you should send it to the McCaskey's, I'm sure they'll care).

The idea, however, that the cheapest franchise in the NFL is going to get Bill Cowher to come out of retirement for them, and then convince Lane Kiffen, who is currently the favorite for at least one head coaching opportunity, to come in as our offensive coordinator, is too amusing to not at least comment on.

It appears the Packers blowout has scrambled your concept of reality. Even in the extreme offchance we fire Lovie we'll probably just hire Rod Marinelli or something.

SFbear
11-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't think Lovie is going anywhere for at least another year but I think Babich basically sealed his fate today. I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in Marinelli as D-coordinator.

bearsfan_51
11-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't be suprised by that either. He was Lovie's first choice after all. As long as he doesn't bring in any Tampa Bay rejects I'm all for it.

shady00
11-16-2008, 11:03 PM
If anything, this thread should be about Bob Babich

awfullyquiet
11-17-2008, 01:04 AM
If anything, this thread should be about Bob Babich

agreed.

i would like to see marinelli if he gets booted this offseason, give him a real team to work with...

SFbear
11-17-2008, 03:48 PM
So the rumor was that Angelo has been anit-Babich since the offseason but Lovie went to bat for his old friend and bascially put his reputation on the line to vouch that Babich was the answer at DC.

The question now is what is more likely. Lovie admits he made a huge mistake by promoting Babich and throws his friend to the wolves or he takes the college job and brings Babich with him. Both of these scenarios seem unlikely but in my opinion much more likely than the prospect Babich being here next year.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 03:56 PM
maybe our players are just ******

Smokey Joe
11-17-2008, 04:07 PM
If we end up sucking for the rest of the season and miss out on the playoffs, I could see Lovie getting out of the hot seat and going to Tennessee.

BeerBaron
11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Right now, I think Lovie needs to take over the defensive calls from Babich (If thats not the case already) and try to do something with the D. They're miserable.

And if Lovie is already doing that for the D......well god......we're ******* screwed anyway.

Too early to can Lovie, but he needs to actually do some coaching and help out the defense.

Vikes99ej
11-17-2008, 04:14 PM
I thought Babich was the guy who told the Vikings to **** off?

awfullyquiet
11-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Right now, I think Lovie needs to take over the defensive calls from Babich (If thats not the case already) and try to do something with the D. They're miserable.

And if Lovie is already doing that for the D......well god......we're ******* screwed anyway.

Too early to can Lovie, but he needs to actually do some coaching and help out the defense.

i do think that babich is making the calls as well.

captainjack27
11-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I think its more Bob Babich needs to go...why didn't the Bears retain Rivera two years ago?

shady00
11-17-2008, 04:34 PM
maybe our players are just ******
valid point

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 04:37 PM
seriously i dont see how we could improve that much with different play calling if the guys keep playing like this.

BeerBaron
11-17-2008, 04:41 PM
seriously i dont see how we could improve that much with different play calling if the guys keep playing like this.

Well, good coaching is typically getting the most out of the players you have. Whats the quote from a big college coach whos name i forget now......something like "ill beat you with my players and then i could turn around and beat you with yours." something along those lines.

I don't think our struggles on defense come from any lack of talent. Guys like Urlacher and Briggs and even Tillman and Vasher didn't suddenly lose all of their talent over one offseason. Maybe they're banged up, maybe they're not being used correctly....who knows.

But what we are doing isn't working, and its a hellish amount easier to switch up the schemes and coach the players differently than it is to completely replace everyone.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 04:45 PM
yes, but a coach can only do those things to a certain degree. i still think it was at least 80% the players.

BeerBaron
11-17-2008, 04:52 PM
yes, but a coach can only do those things to a certain degree. i still think it was at least 80% the players.

Then lets change the 20% we can change and hope for the best. We can't go out and get a whole new defense mid-season, but we can change up the schemes our players play in.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 04:53 PM
id try to change the 80%, by like ******* threatning them or something. we wont just get a new coaching staff midseason and change a scheme and expect anything the next few years...

Geo
11-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Give Lovie a potent pass rusher or two, before the boot. But as bf51 said, there's no chance he gets canned now when he recently signed an extension.

BeerBaron
11-17-2008, 05:06 PM
id try to change the 80%, by like ******* threatning them or something. we wont just get a new coaching staff midseason and change a scheme and expect anything the next few years...

not what i was talking about. you can change the scheme without bringing in new coaches.......call different types of plays on D, call different coverages, call different blitzes......**** like that

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 05:21 PM
not what i was talking about. you can change the scheme without bringing in new coaches.......call different types of plays on D, call different coverages, call different blitzes......**** like that
that would cause more problems during the season than we have. We just have to play like we did in the beginning, no gimmicks, keep ******* Daniel Manning of the field

awfullyquiet
11-17-2008, 05:41 PM
that would cause more problems during the season than we have. We just have to play like we did in the beginning, no gimmicks, keep ******* Daniel Manning of the field

d.manning got hosed.

agreed we don't have to change coaches... coaches can call whatever the hell plays they want... but i can tell you, we're not playing tampa 2, and that's killing us. we need more stunt. more blitzes. and for the love of god, not giving everyone a 10 yard cushion at the wideout position.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 05:43 PM
we played a 3-3-5 last week with Nick Roach instead of a DT. seems like the Defense was experemanting trying to stop the pass which didnt succeed and it didnt help the rush defense at all. D.Manning is getting **** on coverage wise, and well he doesnt tackle, why isnt Graham or McBride the nickle?

regoob2
11-17-2008, 05:45 PM
I think Lovie should take over the D play calling. I think we should play more cover 2 and jam the receivers at the line. I would like to see some 5-2 looks on passing downs.

regoob2
11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Danieal Manning needs to be moved back to FS.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
like a 4-6 Defense with bumps and run??

regoob2
11-17-2008, 05:47 PM
like a 4-6 Defense with bumps and run??
No just and extra DE instead of a SLB or nickel corner.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
No just and extra DE instead of a SLB or nickel corner.
argh against a mobile qb, or a fast drop we would be dead

regoob2
11-17-2008, 05:50 PM
argh against a mobile qb, or a fast drop we would be dead
How would we be dead? If the receivers are getting that open on 3 step drops than thats the corners fault. It's similar to a 3-4 I guess.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 06:02 PM
How would we be dead? If the receivers are getting that open on 3 step drops than thats the corners fault. It's similar to a 3-4 I guess.
did u see how Collins killed us on some short drops?
i mean believe it or not, we actually had some pressure on Aaron yesterday, but he just flushed out or had someone down field WIDE open

regoob2
11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
did u see how Collins killed us on some short drops?
i mean believe it or not, we actually had some pressure on Aaron yesterday, but he just flushed out or had someone down field WIDE open
Well then we should just stop trying? If we can get more pressure on the QB I feel everything will be better. Our SLB and nickel corner are playing like **** so why not bring in an extra DE.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 06:09 PM
we should get more pressure with 4 men. like someone said, get some stunts or twists, some disguise coverages, no cushions, some blitzes by a CB perhaps

regoob2
11-17-2008, 06:14 PM
we should get more pressure with 4 men. like someone said, get some stunts or twists, some disguise coverages, no cushions, some blitzes by a CB perhaps
lol, There are so many ideas about how to fix our D it's frustrating that none seem to work. :( Now I know what it's like to be a Lions fan watching a crap D.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 06:19 PM
u never know how it is to be 0-10

regoob2
11-17-2008, 06:24 PM
u never know how it is to be 0-10
Well at least that's true. Though it's still bad to get smoked by the Pack like that.

BeerBaron
11-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Well....it seems that whatever we do to try and fix our defense, the opposite happens.

Like last week vs. the Titans, we sold out to stack the box and stop the run, and it worked very very well. But then our corners couldn't cover for that split second of Collins' 3 step drop.

Then this week, we play some insane 3 man line **** and Rodgers just rolls out and kills us, or Grant runs all up and down us.

******, ****** situation

SFbear
11-17-2008, 07:17 PM
agreed.

i would like to see marinelli if he gets booted this offseason, give him a real team to work with...

Even though Marinelli is the most likely option, I wont like it. He jumped from Tampa Bay's D-line coach to the HC of the Lions and as far as I know he has no defensive coordinating experience. He just seems like a motivator type with no evidence of any X' and O's expertise. I could be wrong.

Also one of my concerns is too much devotion to the Tampa 2 scheme. I read an interview with Bill Pollian talking about schemes with small pass rushers soon becoming obsolete in the NFL now that the officials were quietly agreeing to simply ignore all but the most egregious holding penalties. I cant say for sure but this could go a long way in explaining our putrid pass rush this year.

It does seem like the best defenses this year (Titans, Giants, Steelers) are the ones fortunate enough to have strength+speed for their D-line and/or use complex blitz packages with their LBs/DBs to get pass rush.

BeerBaron
11-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Even though Marinelli is the most likely option, I wont like it. He jumped from Tampa Bay's D-line coach to the HC of the Lions and as far as I know he has no defensive coordinating experience. He just seems like a motivator type with no evidence of any X' and O's expertise. I could be wrong.

Also one of my concerns is too much devotion to the Tampa 2 scheme. I read an interview with Bill Pollian talking about schemes with small pass rushers soon becoming obsolete in the NFL now that the officials were quietly agreeing to simply ignore all but the most egregious holding penalties. I cant say for sure but this could go a long way in explaining our putrid pass rush this year.

It does seem like the best defenses this year (Titans, Giants, Steelers) are the ones fortunate enough to have strength+speed for their D-line and/or use complex blitz packages with their LBs/DBs to get pass rush.

Agreed. I probably wouldn't be too huge a fan of Marinellli for the same reasons. I'd personally like to see Lovie just take over the playcalling for the defense this year (feels like ive said that 892 times now) and see if we can find someone from within during that time who can come up with some stuff, learn from Lovie this year for next year. He'd at least know the players and have experience with the team........

We could also experiment with bringing in a coordinator experienced with another type of defense (base 43, 34, exotic blitzes, etc) and see if he can bring a different approach to the defense while still using a form of the Cover 2 as our mainstay.

Who knows....but for right now, I'd like to just see Lovie take over (893) and see what he can do with the d.

Geo
11-17-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't mean to knock Marinelli, but can he coach an entire defense? I don't question defensive line is his forte, but I'm not sure he'd do as well with a whole defense. But if the Bears have the right assistant coaches for linebackers and the secondary, at least those guys will still be coached up. The entire gameplan, the calls on the field, a different story potentially.

Bears could take a note from the Colts, get some undersized pass rushers to put in on pass rushing situations. Mark Anderson doesn't seem to be cutting it.

BeerBaron
11-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Bears could take a note from the Colts, get some undersized pass rushers to put in on pass rushing situations. Mark Anderson doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Mark Anderson IS an undersized pass rusher being put in on pass rushing situations

awfullyquiet
11-18-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't mean to knock Marinelli, but can he coach an entire defense? I don't question defensive line is his forte, but I'm not sure he'd do as well with a whole defense. But if the Bears have the right assistant coaches for linebackers and the secondary, at least those guys will still be coached up. The entire gameplan, the calls on the field, a different story potentially.

Between Lovie and Marinelli, you almost have a whole defensive coach!

BeerBaron
11-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Lets pull this back up.......

Anyone see his "Durrrrr!" face right there? He doesn't seem like he has any idea wtf is going on out there. It pisses me off when your in charge of something (like a football team) and it doesn't fire you up to see that something playing like a steaming pile of ****.

Monomach
11-30-2008, 09:08 PM
It was nice of him to call enough time outs to let Frerotte drive down the field.

Normally he's got us wasting the last minute or so of the first half with knee-downs. Now he's calling timeouts when we don't have possession? Does he not realize that there's another half of football to come back from that whopping 3 point deficit?

Now it's 17-7. Blah.

shady00
11-30-2008, 09:50 PM
WTF does Hester make fair catches at the 6 yard line!!!! WTF

Smokey Joe
11-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Preformances like this today show why this team needs a fresh start.

BeerBaron
11-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Killing the Rams between our horrific division losses shut us up for a bit....but now, I'm thinking that this team can't win with its current staff.

The defense looked pathetic....again......and Ron Turner's headscratching play calling, particularly at the goal line, is just inexcusable. Lets FB dive with the guy we just signed off the practice squad this week. yay!

Smokey Joe
11-30-2008, 10:55 PM
we weren't even that impressive vs. the Rams. We played a ****** ass team.

Monomach
11-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Killing the Rams between our horrific division losses shut us up for a bit....but now, I'm thinking that this team can't win with its current staff.

The defense looked pathetic....again......and Ron Turner's headscratching play calling, particularly at the goal line, is just inexcusable. Lets FB dive with the guy we just signed off the practice squad this week. yay!

This year, have we even had a goalline possession without that exact same FB dive?

I sure knew what the play was going to be. I bet the Vikes knew, too.

regoob2
11-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Charlie Weis?

Monomach
11-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Charlie Weis?

For OC? Sure. At least he knows talent when he sees it.

BeerBaron
11-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Charlie Weis?

You know....I've thought about it.....but no. I think he goes back to the Pats after McDaniel gets hired somewhere else.

Plus, I'm worried about the defense more. How sad is that? The offense was actually moving the ball for the most part, but it was just the occasional terrible playcall that killed us. He seems draw happy when they really don't work......ugh.

bearfan
12-01-2008, 07:29 AM
You know....I've thought about it.....but no. I think he goes back to the Pats after McDaniel gets hired somewhere else.

Plus, I'm worried about the defense more. How sad is that? The offense was actually moving the ball for the most part, but it was just the occasional terrible playcall that killed us. He seems draw happy when they really don't work......ugh.

They work 1/2 the time. Its funny you mention that though, during the game every time Orton was in shot gun I was calling the draw play.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2008, 07:30 AM
We should hire McDaniels as our HC.

Gay Ork Wang
12-01-2008, 07:39 AM
******* Ron Turner sucks ass, he hands it to the ******* FB way to many times

BeerBaron
12-01-2008, 09:27 AM
We should hire McDaniels as our HC.

dude, he's going to be a HC somewhere....and even if he's not, no way he leaves NE for the same job with a far lesser offense

regoob2
12-01-2008, 11:57 AM
******* Ron Turner sucks ass, he hands it to the ******* FB way to many times
I dont mind when teams give it to the FB but our FBs suck. Neither can run with the ball.

Gay Ork Wang
12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
I dont mind when teams give it to the FB but our FBs suck. Neither can run with the ball.
not with man beast forte