PDA

View Full Version : NFC/AFC Playoff Picture

d34ng3l021
11-16-2008, 10:22 PM
With 6 games to go, it seems as if we are going to have a very competitive playoff picture in place. These upcoming weeks are going to be crucial for teams.

NFC North
The Packers, Bears, and Vikings are all tied at 5-5 and each of them have a chance to make a run at the division and/or a wildcard spot. They have a disadvantage in the WC situation, but 6 games is a lot. I have not looked at the remaining schedule for these teams, but fans of these teams, how does it look?

NFC West
Nice to know that there aren't teams competing for WC here.

NFC East
And now it gets good. Giants seem to have control of the division at 9-1 and is their title to lose. As for WC, the other 3 teams are all in the thick of it. The Cowboys and Redskins are among the leaders for the 2nd WC spot with identical 6-4 records, and the Eagles are at 5-4-1 with an advantage over the NFC North teams. Will the Cowboys get hot with Romo back? How do the Redskins respond to 2 straight tough losses (jeez. All their games have been within 8 pts except PIT)? The Eagles seem to be slowing down with their tie with the Bengals being pretty pathetic along with a brutal schedule the rest of the way (they play only 1 team without a winning record, which are the Browns).

NFC South
The other ultra competitive division in the league with the Panthers, Bucs, and Falcons at 8-2, 7-3, and 6-4. They each play one another again and that could lead to possible change in division lead and WC implications. The Panthers have not given top notch performances in the past 2 weeks (I do not know if that is a good thing for the Falcons or not) and look to play the Falcons in the GA Dome in a week, which will be very crucial for the Falcons. The rest of the schedule doesn't bode too well for the Panthers either. Tampa Bay on the other hand plays 2 teams with a winning record (ATL, CAR). I wouldn't be surprised if TB ends up winning the division based on that schedule alone (not to undermine the talent the Bucs have, of course). The Falcons have 3 division games remaining, 2 against the Panthers and Bucs, in which they should go 1-1 to keep playoff chances alive. Other key games include games in SD, in Minny, and in NO, all of which should be good matches.

This is going to be an exciting playoff push.

Shane P. Hallam
11-16-2008, 10:30 PM
AFC Playoff Picture:

AFC East - Jets are up by a game after just beating the Pats. They still face the Titans, Broncos, 49ers, Bills, Seahawks, and Dolphins, so they could clean up most of those games and take the division. They also are tied with the Steelers for the #2 seed. Pats and Fins at 6-4. Both have a fairly easy schedule going forward, Pats only tough opponent is the Steelers. The Dolphins game against both the Jets and Pats may determine the division! The Bills could move to 6-4 Monday night, and they have a similar easier road. At least one of the wildcards could be here.

AFC North - The Steelers are up a game, but still have the Titans, Pats, Cowboys, and Ravens to go (along with Bengals and Browns). At 7-3, they hold the #2 tiebreaker over the Jets. The Ravens still get the rest of the NFC East, Steelers, and Jags as the tough match-ups left. These two teams could drop a few games and neither could get the bye. Browns are out of it at 3-6, and Bengals are...dead.

AFC South - Titans are still unbeaten but have a few tough match-ups left. Should cruise to home field. Colts at 6-4 are only one game out of the #2 seed and tied for the wildcard. They have a relatively easy schedule after next week @ San Diego and Tennessee at Week 17. Look for them to make a run here to a wild card. Jacksonville and Houston look out of it at 4-6 and 3-7.

AFC West - Denver has turned it around at 6-4, and they have a two game lead over San Diego at 4-6. If the Broncos can keep winning, they have a shot at that #2 seed, but they will have to get past the Jets, Carolina and a few others.

Right now, we are looking at:

Tennessee 10-0
Pittsburgh 7-3
New York Jets 7-3
Denver Broncos 6-4
Indianapolis Colts 6-4
Baltimore Ravens 6-4

Miami Dolphins 6-4
New England Patriots 6-4

d34ng3l021
11-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Go for it. I am more well versed in the NFC, so thats why I only did that.

Jughead10
11-16-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm lazy. What does the Panthers remaining schedule look like. They are flying under the radar so far but the QB play hasn't been great recently. They are just running all over teams, although the competition has been eh.

yodabear
11-16-2008, 10:38 PM
This is all great news for the Rams. LOOK OUT FOR THEM!

GB12
11-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Mind if I toss in the AFC? We can make a whole thread for both conferences.
I think it'd be better to have them sepperate. If you want put them both in one I guess that's your choice, but I think it's better organized into two different thread.

d34ng3l021
11-16-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm lazy. What does the Panthers remaining schedule look like. They are flying under the radar so far but the QB play hasn't been great recently. They are just running all over teams, although the competition has been eh.

@ ATL
@ GB
vs TB
vs DEN
@ NYG
@ NO

Wow thats tough. Each team has a winning record, except NO, who is at .500.

fenikz
11-16-2008, 10:43 PM

They have the 3rd hardest remaining SoS with .633

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/schedule_strength.php

Jughead10
11-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Got ya on the Panthers schedule. Despite being 8-2, they haven't impressed me all that much. Haven't had a stand out win in my opinion, but it looks like their schedule really starts here.

GB12
11-16-2008, 10:46 PM
@ ATL
@ GB
vs TB
vs DEN
@ NYG
@ NO

Wow thats tough. Each team has a winning record.
You mean each are at least .500

D-Unit
11-16-2008, 10:51 PM
If the Packers don't win their division, the Cowboys own that tie breaker by beating them in Lambeau. If the Bucaneers don't win their division, the Cowboys also own that tie breaker by beating them in Week 8.

It's gonna be tough this year. I think the WC team might just have to be 10-6 or 11-5 in order to beat the Cowboys for the WC spot. 9-7 won't do it, imo.

Jughead10
11-16-2008, 10:52 PM
If the Packers don't win their division, the Cowboys own that tie breaker by beating them in Lambeau. If the Bucaneers don't win their division, the Cowboys also own that tie breaker by beating them in Week 8.

It's gonna be tough this year. I think the WC team might just have to be 10-6 or 11-5 in order to beat the Cowboys for the WC spot. 9-7 won't do it, imo.

To beat the Cowboys for the WC spot? The Cowboys might not get to 10-6. The Bucs already have a game on them.

bearsfan_51
11-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Bears have the easiest schedule of the three NFC North teams, but we're also by far playing the worst right now. Bears have Packers at home and Vikings on the road. Vikings and Packers have already split their series.

The Dynasty
11-16-2008, 10:53 PM
I would love to say the Vikings have a chance but unless we play like we did today we wont be in it. Playing @ Arizona, Vs Giants, Vs Falcons, @ Jaguars, @ Lions and Vs Chicago. That order is not the order of the schedule but Playing 3 Teams that are current Leaders or Tied for the Division Lead and Falcons at what 6-4? Not going to be easy for us to make it. At best I think we could end up 9-7 or 8-8.

yodabear
11-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Bears have the easiest schedule of the three NFC North teams, but we're also by far playing the worst right now. Bears have Packers at home and Vikings on the road. Vikings and Packers have already split their series.

But I guarantee ya the Rams will beat the Bears next week. Guarantee it. Already have put myself on the line, suspended for 2 weeks if the Rams lose next week.

bearsfan_51
11-16-2008, 10:55 PM
The NFC South and NFC East should each have two playoff teams (i.e.: one wildcard). I doubt that there is a 10-6 team that doesn't make the playoffs, but I agree that 9-7 probably won't cut it.

Bruce Banner
11-16-2008, 11:04 PM
NOOOOO. Have a separate thread please.

**** it.

Just make an AFC thread, NFC thread, and an NFC East thread.

Because the Cowboys/Redskins/Giants/Eagles fans are going to take this one over and ruin it.

d34ng3l021
11-16-2008, 11:06 PM
NFC Playoff Picture:

Division: Team Record (strength of schedule remaining rank (1 = hardest)*)

NFCE: Giants 9-1 (1)
NFCS: Panthers 8-2 (3)
NFCW: Cardinals 7-3 (13)
NFCN: Bears 5-5 (25)
WC1: Buccaneers 7-3 (27)
WC2: Redskins 6-4 (11)

-----------------------

7: NFCS: Falcons 6-4 (12)
8: NFCE: Cowboys 6-4 (5)
9: NFCE: Eagles 5-4-1 (6)
10: NFCN: Vikings 5-5 (19)
11: NFCN: Packers 5-5 (28)

*The strength of schedule is based on this:
When calculating the winning percentage of future opponents, the strength of their past schedule is part of the equation. Hence, a team with a 7-3 record that had an easy schedule so far will be considered a weaker opponent than a team with a 7-3 record that has beaten teams which themselves have a high winning percentage. Although the actual data is still based on winning percentages, the deeper algorithm should provide for more accurate results.
Link: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/schedule_strength.php

PACKmanN
11-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Injuries to the Bears and terrible coaching by the Vikings' staff might put them out of a chance of winning the North. Right now, it may be the Packers winning it, but things can still change.

GB12
11-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Wow, seeing the Vikings remaining schedule makes me happy. They have to close out the season with Arizona, then Atlanta, then New York. I think they'll win one of those if any. That'd put them at best 8-8.

Then I look at the Bears schedule and I'm not so happy. They've got a pretty easy road. The divisional games against Green Bay and Minnesota should be tough, but other than that it's not bad.

As for the Packers it isn't as hard as I thought. We have Carolina as our only real challange. The next Bears game probably will decide the division.

Vikings:
@Jacksonville - W
Chicago - W
@Detroit - W
@Arizona - L
Atlanta - L
New York - L

8-8

Bears:
@STL - W
@Minnesota - L
Jacksonville - W
New Orleans - L
Green Bay - W
@Houston - W

9-7

Packers:
@Saints - W
Carolina - L
Houston - W
@Jacksonville - W
@Chicago - L
Detroit - W

9-7

So that'd put the Bears and Packers tied for the division. The first tie breaker is head to head, but they split in the scenario I have. Then it goes to divisional record. After adding up what already happend and what I projected there the Bears are 4-2 in the division and the Packers are 4-2. Third is common games. After doing the same thing I did for division games I found that each won 4 games here too. So then we get to tiebreaker #4 which is conference games. Amazingly enough it's 6 wins a piece. 5th tiebreaker is strength of victory which I can't calculate at this time and even I could I wouldn't do all that work. So after all that I have the Bears and Packers still tied for the division.

The Dynasty
11-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I think there is a possibility that the Vikings can beat the Giants week 17. If the Giants have already clinched home field through out the playoffs, Would they play starters the whole game? I dont know. But It could be a 3 way tie in the North but I doubt it.

Jughead10
11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
I think there is a possibility that the Vikings can beat the Giants week 17. If the Giants have already clinched home field through out the playoffs, Would they play starters the whole game? I dont know. But It could be a 3 way tie in the North but I doubt it.

I think they would play most of the game. Last year has shown us that they don't think resting players is a great idea. Especially if they have a bye week the first week of the playoffs.

The Dynasty
11-16-2008, 11:26 PM
I think they would play most of the game. Last year has shown us that they don't think resting players is a great idea. Especially if they have a bye week the first week of the playoffs.

Yeah, Well Minnesota has had some fun against Manning in the past years so maybe but thats always been in New York.

Jughead10
11-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Yeah, Well Minnesota has had some fun against Manning in the past years so maybe but thats always been in New York.

I don't think that really matters. This Giants team is 100 times better than what the Vikings have played against in the past.

d34ng3l021
11-16-2008, 11:30 PM
lol. Vikings playoff hopes may be on the line. You never know what happens in week 17.

BlindSite
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
@ ATL
@ GB
vs TB
vs DEN
@ NYG
@ NO

Wow thats tough. Each team has a winning record, except NO, who is at .500.

Got ya on the Panthers schedule. Despite being 8-2, they haven't impressed me all that much. Haven't had a stand out win in my opinion, but it looks like their schedule really starts here.

It seems like a tough schedule but break it down a little bit. For Arguments sake, we'll count the Giants as a loss.

Atlanta
Currently ranked 22 against the run and 13th in points allowed, while I think the team's improved since they first played Carolina I'm yet to see a legitimate match up answer for Steve Smith or on their offense for Julius Peppers.

I like Atlanta as the resurgent fan favorite and talking smack can come back to bite one in the ass, but after what happened with Denver, I find it hard to see that same unit turning it around to be better than a team with just 2 losses.

Green bay
28th in rushing defense, not exactly stellar there and they just lost Barnett for the year 14th in scoring is a lot better though.

Aaron Rogers getting hot is a little scary. Panthers are still undefeated at home.

Tampa Bay
Arguments sake, lets call this a loss too.

Denver
26th in rush defense 27th in points allowed. Their defense is terrible. Can anyone honestly see this team being better than the Panthers?

New Orleans
Another stifling defense :rolleyes:, its week 17, so anything can happen, but if the Panthers are playing for the division, with the saints likely at this point eliminated from the playoffs, it'll be a tough one for the Panthers to just let slip.

I realise that Delhomme hasn't been stellar the last two weeks, but he's only had two bad games this year (tampa and Oakland) and the rest he's been exactly what the Panthers needed, the offensive line is healthy and Peppers is on a tear.

My prediction for the Panthers is a 12 and 4 record with only one probable loss: Giants, to me the only real threats are tampa and Atlanta. So at most I see 3 losses in the final six games. Which would still be an 11-5 record.

Rayray52
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
But I guarantee ya the Rams will beat the Bears next week. Guarantee it. Already have put myself on the line, suspended for 2 weeks if the Rams lose next week.

You do realize the Rams have been outscored 116-32 the past 3 weeks and that includes a loss to the crappy 49ers in which they scored 13 garbage points.......

GB12
11-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Week 13 is huge for the Vikings. If they lose to the Bears they're all but finished.

yodabear
11-16-2008, 11:35 PM
You do realize the Rams have been outscored 116-32 the past 3 weeks and that includes a loss to the crappy 49ers in which they scored 13 garbage points.......

I believe it is prudent that we achieve greatness and we can have the audacity to hope.

d34ng3l021
11-16-2008, 11:39 PM
It seems like a tough schedule but break it down a little bit. For Arguments sake, we'll count the Giants as a loss.

Atlanta
Currently ranked 22 against the run and 13th in points allowed, while I think the team's improved since they first played Carolina I'm yet to see a legitimate match up answer for Steve Smith or on their offense for Julius Peppers.

I like Atlanta as the resurgent fan favorite and talking smack can come back to bite one in the ass, but after what happened with Denver, I find it hard to see that same unit turning it around to be better than a team with just 2 losses.

Green bay
28th in rushing defense, not exactly stellar there and they just lost Barnett for the year 14th in scoring is a lot better though.

Aaron Rogers getting hot is a little scary. Panthers are still undefeated at home.

Tampa Bay
Arguments sake, lets call this a loss too.

Denver
26th in rush defense 27th in points allowed. Their defense is terrible. Can anyone honestly see this team being better than the Panthers?

New Orleans
Another stifling defense :rolleyes:, its week 17, so anything can happen, but if the Panthers are playing for the division, with the saints likely at this point eliminated from the playoffs, it'll be a tough one for the Panthers to just let slip.

I realise that Delhomme hasn't been stellar the last two weeks, but he's only had two bad games this year (tampa and Oakland) and the rest he's been exactly what the Panthers needed, the offensive line is healthy and Peppers is on a tear.

My prediction for the Panthers is a 12 and 4 record with only one probable loss: Giants, to me the only real threats are tampa and Atlanta. So at most I see 3 losses in the final six games. Which would still be an 11-5 record.

Sitting there at 8-2 and the 2nd best NFC team, of course you can say that every game is winnable. Its just a matter of coming out there and playing your best, while not getting complacent with your status. Despite their wins, the Panthers have not impressed me in their last 2 performances, and if they expect to win against those teams, they are going to need more than what they have brought (not saying that they will not when playing the rest of the schedule).

Rayray52
11-16-2008, 11:41 PM
I believe it is prudent that we achieve greatness and we can have the audacity to hope.

Well i wish you good luck....and i'll see you in 2 weeks :D

yodabear
11-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Well i wish you good luck....and i'll see you in 2 weeks :D

I should really lay off the crack, but its hard to get through the Rams games.

Jughead10
11-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I should really lay off the crack, but its hard to get through the Rams games.

I hate the Rams so much. Only because Torry Holt in the 4th round of my fantasy draft has been a complete failure.

yodabear
11-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I hate the Rams so much. Only because Torry Holt in the 4th round of my fantasy draft has been a complete failure.

Any Ram is a complete failure.

fenikz
11-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Brain Leonard says no to failure
http://www.daretogamble.com/uploaded_images/Brian-Leonard-764538.jpg

PACKmanN
11-16-2008, 11:58 PM

you want to know why? because he's overrated.

yodabear
11-17-2008, 12:03 AM
you want to know why? because he's overrated.

No because he doesn't have a QB to throw it to him. He doesn't have an offensive line to give that supposive QB time to throw it to him. Most weeks he has no run game because that offensive line is so awful. And he has a defense that can't stop a ******* pop warner team, so the dewfis always has to throw, and the dewfises don't ever block, so he has barely any fantasy points in the season. Cuz our team blows and a popn warner team would come close to beating us.

PACKmanN
11-17-2008, 12:05 AM
No because he doesn't have a QB to throw it to him. He doesn't have an offensive line to give that supposive QB time to throw it to him. Most weeks he has no run game because that offensive line is so awful. And he has a defense that can't stop a ******* pop warner team, so the dewfis always has to throw, and the dewfises don't ever block, so he has barely any fantasy points in the season. Cuz our team blows and a popn warner team would come close to beating us.

Did you think I was serious? lol. It was a joke.

yodabear
11-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Did you think I was serious? lol. It was a joke.

Nah I just kinda wanted to rant.

tjsunstein
11-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Green Bay will win the division.

Dam8610
11-17-2008, 12:23 AM
If the Colts win in San Diego this week, their road to the postseason shouldn't be too tough.

Rayray52
11-17-2008, 12:30 AM
I love Baltimore but we have been exposed....badly, by 2 very good football teams, i fear that we are a team that can beat up on the weaker opponents but cant run with the big dogs, which may lead to us sneaking in as a wild card team but getting blown out in the first round.

BlindSite
11-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Sitting there at 8-2 and the 2nd best NFC team, of course you can say that every game is winnable. Its just a matter of coming out there and playing your best, while not getting complacent with your status. Despite their wins, the Panthers have not impressed me in their last 2 performances, and if they expect to win against those teams, they are going to need more than what they have brought (not saying that they will not when playing the rest of the schedule).

I can understand the feeling that the Panthers haven't been playing well, but the goal of the Panthers the past two weeks has very publicly been to run the ball and play good defense. With three one hundred yard performances in two weeks, its hard to say the last two games have been disappointing. Considering that Delhomme wasn't stellar but was efficient today, by my eye his only real errant throw was to Rosario in the first quarter, but once on track the offense and defense were impressive.

I think that this is a real test the next six weeks and my personal opinion is that there's a few match ups that will show how the NFC is really ranked, the division will be decided with three games and the NFC supremacy likely will as well with the Panthers facing the Giants and the Packers (who IMO are the best team in the NFC North).

I'm looking forward to it, there's not really a precedent in the NFL for a team to win 8 from 10 games and miss the playoffs so I'm not exactly worried.

Shane P. Hallam
11-17-2008, 12:39 AM
I love Baltimore but we have been exposed....badly, by 2 very good football teams, i fear that we are a team that can beat up on the weaker opponents but cant run with the big dogs, which may lead to us sneaking in as a wild card team but getting blown out in the first round.

You could very easily draw Pittsburgh a 3rd time though, lol.

Rayray52
11-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Pittsburgh we seem to match up with pretty well, if Ray can break Parkers shoulder in our regular season matchup we may have a shot in the playoffs.

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Green Bay will win the division.
good job elaborating

D-Unit
11-17-2008, 03:33 AM
To beat the Cowboys for the WC spot? The Cowboys might not get to 10-6. The Bucs already have a game on them.
I don't get it. We have 6 games left and winning 10 games is still possible.

But that's not what I was getting at. I was saying a team might have to be 10-6 to get the WC spot over the Cowboys. Because at 9-7 we own the tie breakers... if they don't win their division outright that is.

diabsoule
11-17-2008, 03:37 AM
I don't get it. We have 6 games left and winning 10 games is still possible.

But that's not what I was getting at. I was saying a team might have to be 10-6 to get the WC spot over the Cowboys. Because at 9-7 we own the tie breakers... if they don't win their division outright that is.

With Terrance Newman and Tony Romo both back I think the Cowboys could easily get to 10 wins. I'm fairly positive that Cowboys will win a wild card spot. The Eagles are not going to compete for it. The Redskins seem to be losing momentum. So, you have the Giants and Cowboys from the NFC East.
NFC West you have Arizona.
NFC North you've got Green Bay and that will probably be it.
NFC South I think you'll have Carolina and either Atlanta or TB.

tjsunstein
11-17-2008, 03:55 AM
good job elaborating

Still bitter about the game?

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Still bitter about the game?
what does that have to do with what i just said? nothing. great post!

Mr. Stiller
11-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Pittsburgh we seem to match up with pretty well, if Ray can break Parkers shoulder in our regular season matchup we may have a shot in the playoffs.

Very Classy...

DiG
11-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Skins remaining:

@ Seattle
vs Giants
@ Baltimore
@ Cinci
vs Philly
@ 49ers

Best guess is that we split the last 6 games and finish 9-7. We are a better team than Seattle, Cinci, and San Fran but they are all three away so I can see maybe dropping one of them. Baltimore is a winnable game but could go either way. Don't foresee us beating the Giants and the Eagles will be a tough one. Theres a chance we could make 10-6 but we'll have to figure out a few things first.

Jughead10
11-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I think the Chargers punched their ticket out of the playoffs yesterday. The Broncos defense was bad enough that I thougt the Chargers would catch them. However they are 2 back now, and don't think they are good enough to catch the Broncos or any wild card team for that matter. There are too many 6-4 WC contenders in the AFC for them to have a realistic shot.

How does Norv Turner ever get hired???

SeanTaylorRIP
11-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Skins remaining:

@ Seattle
vs Giants
@ Baltimore
@ Cinci
vs Philly
@ 49ers

Best guess is that we split the last 6 games and finish 9-7. We are a better team than Seattle, Cinci, and San Fran but they are all three away so I can see maybe dropping one of them. Baltimore is a winnable game but could go either way. Don't foresee us beating the Giants and the Eagles will be a tough one. Theres a chance we could make 10-6 but we'll have to figure out a few things first.

We are not making the playoffs. My projection: Seattle-Loss. Giants-Loss. Baltimore-Win. Cinci-Win. Philly-Loss. 49ers-Loss. that puts us at 8-8, right where I thought at the start of the season.

jth1331
11-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Denver Broncos remaining schedule:
Oakland - Win
@NY Jets - Loss
Kansas City - Win
@Carolina - Loss
Buffalo - Win
@San Diego - Loss
Final Record: 9-7

San Diego Chargers remaining schedule:
Indianapolis - L
Atlanta - W
Oakland - W
@Kansas City - W
@Tampa Bay - L
Denver - W
Final record: 8-8

Broncos win the division, and probably end up as the #4 seed, probably playing the Colts(#5 seed). It will be a home playoff game, but I don't like the matchups in that game for Denver.
Also, I kinda wanna see how the defense plays the rest of the way. They played decently against Atlanta, pretty much stuffed the rushing game of a very good Falcons offense. With Champ Bailey coming back in the next few weeks, maybe they will become an average defense that paired with the offense, could make some noise in the playoffs.

DiG
11-17-2008, 11:22 AM
We are not making the playoffs. My projection: Seattle-Loss. Giants-Loss. Baltimore-Win. Cinci-Win. Philly-Loss. 49ers-Loss. that puts us at 8-8, right where I thought at the start of the season.

i could see that sure but a lot of those games are swing games. imo, seattle, baltimore, philly, and san fran are all swing games which just means that we could easily go 8-8 like you said but just as easily go 10-6. depends which team shows up to play.

umphrey
11-17-2008, 11:29 AM
NFC North

Packers
Record: 5-5
Divisional: 3-1

Schedule
@ New Orleans
Carolina
Houston
@ Jacksonville
@ Chicago
Detroit

Vikings
Divisional: 2-2

Schedule
@ Jacksonville
Chicago
@ Detroit
@ Arizona
Atlanta
New York Giants

Bears
Divisonal: 3-1

Schedule
@ St Louis
@ Minnesota
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Green Bay
@ Houston

As you can see, it is all tied up and I didn't even bother writing anything about the Lions.

I'd say the Vikings and Packers are neck and neck, but the Viqueens have the toughest schedule by far and with the possible loss of the Williams sisters they could drop out of contention pretty easily. They are also the only team with 2 divisional losses which may end up costing them a tie breaker.

The Bears/Packers schedules are very similar. Packers get an easy one with Detroit again but the Bears get St Louis. Packers have to play Carolina but the Bears have to play Minnesota. Otherwise almost the same. Even though GB crushed them yesterday they still pose a threat. Anything could happen when GB plays them week 16. There is a good chance that game makes the division.

I'd rank it something like this:
Packers: 40%
Bears: 37%
Vikings: 33%

yodabear
11-17-2008, 11:30 AM
BEARS CHANCES END NEXT WEEK WHEN ST. LOUIS RUNS THEM OUT OF THE BUIlDING!

bearsfan_51
11-17-2008, 11:58 AM
My two cents:

NFC
1st- Giants (lock)
2nd- Tampa Bay
3rd- Arizona (lock)
4th- Green Bay
5th- Carolina
6th- Dallas

- Tampa Bay in the 2nd spot might be a bit of a leap, especially since I think Carolina is the better team with an already better record, but the remaining schedule for each team settles it for me.

-The NFC North and the last playoff spot will both be very competitive. I don't buy at all that a 10-6 team will miss the playoffs, and I think 9-7 will probably do it quite frankly. If you look at the remaining 6-4 teams (Dallas, Atlanta, Washington) none of them are particularly strong, and I don't see two of the three going 4-2, which is essentially what it would take. I think Dallas is the most likely of those three (not including Philadelphia for the time being), but none of those three are particularly impressive.

AFC
1) Tennessee (lock)
2) NY Jets (lock)
3) Pittsburgh (lock)
4) Denver
5) New England
6) Indianapolis

-The Jets as a lock might be a bit of a suprise for some (let alone the second seed), but they've really seem to find their footing as of late and their offense is on the brink of being overwhelming. I see New England and Indy beating out the less experienced teams (Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore)

fenikz
11-17-2008, 12:16 PM
As for Arizona and getting a 1st round bye seems our main competition is going to be Carolina(who has the H2H tie breaker) Our next 2 games will basically tell us if we are going to rest our starters and prepare for a 1st round home game or keep fighting for a 1st round bye

Arizona
vs NYG(W) We play really good at Home vs tough opponents haven't lost in AZ in over a year
@ PHI (L)
vs STL (W)
vs MIN (W)
@ NE (L)
vs SEA (W)

Overall Record: 11-5

Carolina

@ ATL(W)
@ GB(L)
vs TB(W)
vs DEN(W)
@ NYG(L)
@ NO(W)

Overall Record: 12-4

umphrey
11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
My two cents:

NFC
1st- Giants (lock)
2nd- Tampa Bay
3rd- Arizona (lock)
4th- Green Bay
5th- Carolina
6th- Dallas

AFC
1) Tennessee (lock)
2) NY Jets (lock)
3) Pittsburgh (lock)
4) Denver
5) New England
6) Indianapolis

I like most of those picks. Good call on TB winning the division and CAR in the WC. I think ATL has a shot over Dallas but if I had to pick it now I would say Dallas.

My one disagreement is I think NE misses the playoffs and the Bills take that spot instead. Cassell's doing alright but I really have a feeling that both NE will miss the playoffs and the Bills will make them. I have no idea how NE got such an easy schedule but they have some tough games ahead. I see them winning 3 of them max for 9-7 but if they do get into the playoffs they still aren't a contender.

Giants / Titans Superbowl really looks like the way it's going to be right now. I see a ton of separation between those teams and the rest of their respective conferences. Thought the Giants were underrated going into the year but definitely didn't see another Superbowl coming, especially after the injuries.

fenikz
11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
After the Cardinals upset the Giants next sunday the NFC is going to get a lot more confusing

umphrey
11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
After the Cardinals upset the Giants next sunday the NFC is going to get a lot more confusing

Not really, you will still have division winner locks with 4 spots wide open (2 division 2 WC)

Jughead10
11-17-2008, 01:16 PM
As for Arizona and getting a 1st round bye seems our main competition is going to be Carolina(who has the H2H tie breaker) Our next 2 games will basically tell us if we are going to rest our starters and prepare for a 1st round home game or keep fighting for a 1st round bye

Arizona
vs NYG(W) We play really good at Home vs tough opponents haven't lost in AZ in over a year
@ PHI (L)
vs STL (W)
vs MIN (W)
@ NE (L)
vs SEA (W)

Overall Record: 11-5

We played really good in Arizona against a tougher opponent. Haha.

d34ng3l021
12-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Man. The NFC's playoff race is just insane. The next couple of weeks can dictate the NFCS.

Wk 14

ATL @ NO: NFC South teams are 21/22-2 at home, but I think the Falcons could come away with a win here. The Saints seem to be done and playoff hopes seem to be out of reach, but I can never count this team out with Drew Brees. If anyone else elevates their game to Brees' level (this includes Payton), this team could be dangerous. I think the lack of defense and poor coaching is going to hurt them in this game though. The only thing I hope is that the Falcons are not caught looking ahead again (like DEN) in hopes of getting paypack against TB. We need to take the games one at a time, and I have no doubt we can win all of them if we do that.

TB @ CAR: Heres where I think the home record for NFCS teams will stand. TB and Carolina are both at 9-3 and pretty evenly matched. Not always consistent, but find ways to win. I think with Carolina's home field advantage will pull through as the look to avenge their embarrassing game in TB.

ATL: 9-4. TB: 9-4. CAR: 10-3

Wk 15

TB @ ATL: Atlanta looks to come home after winning games against SD and NO (hopefully...crosses fingers and knocks on wood) and I am sure the crowd is going to show up here. Despite all this though, the Bucs have always had a number for the Falcons. I could not give you a prediction of who is to win here. If the Falcons win, playoffs become fairly manageable. If the Falcons lose, they are going to need to win in Minny and hope for a couple of losses from other teams. I am just going to count it a W for now.

DEN @ CAR: The Broncos are playing very well right now. I can only hope that they continue and continue their sweep (i think they beat TB) of the NFCS. I doubt it though. CAR has a chance to solidify division lead in this game, and I think they will.

ATL: 10-4. TB: 9-5. CAR: 11-3

Wk 16

ATL @ MIN: This game got a lot easier with the suspension of the Williams bothers, but it seems as if that suspension is blocked? Its still fairly unclear to me right now. With the both of them back, this game just might be fairly on the shoulders of Matt Ryan. Turner tends to do bad against good teams and while away. Minny is a good team and we are playing away. This game is going to be huge. I see this as a L right now though.

CAR @ NYG: Giants should win this easily. I hope they have things to play for, but teams usually do not rest players in week 16, right?

SD @ TB: TB wins. SD usually plays close, but are very consistent. Maybe they can pull off a W, but I highly doubt it, especially on the road.

ATL: 10-5. TB: 10-5. CAR: 11-4

Wk 17.

TB and ATL play OAK and STL. Both should be wins. CAR has the chance to slip up in NO.

ATL: 11-5. TB: 11-5. CAR: 12-4

I guess its up to how Dallas/Washington does. I really do not think Washington belongs in the playoffs, but they could make it. Dallas has a brutal schedule, but have a very talented team. If the Giants pull off the W, not only does Dallas take the L, but it gets into the conference and division record. The game in PIT is going to be ridiculously hard. I even like BAL over DAL a lot right now.

BlindSite
12-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Carolina V Giants could be the battle for homefield if the Giants falter either of the next two weeks, I doubt it, but it would be a cool scenario.

The board would probably crash from the homerfest arguments the Giants fans and I would have before the game though.

Jughead10
12-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Carolina V Giants could be the battle for homefield if the Giants falter either of the next two weeks, I doubt it, but it would be a cool scenario.

The board would probably crash from the homerfest arguments the Giants fans and I would have before the game though.

I'd worry about this week if I were you. I thought the Panthers were going to fall off. I think they got away with one last week.

d34ng3l021
12-04-2008, 09:10 AM
But they are back at home, where they are undefeated. I think Giants will be my 2nd favorite team for this last month as they play the Panthers and Cowboys (anyone else? I cant remember if they play the Redskins).

Jughead10
12-04-2008, 09:12 AM
But they are back at home, where they are undefeated. I think Giants will be my 2nd favorite team for this last month as they play the Panthers and Cowboys (anyone else? I cant remember if they play the Redskins).

Nope we beat them last week for you. Eagles and Minnesota also.

d34ng3l021
12-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Nope we beat them last week for you. Eagles and Minnesota also.

lol. <3 Giants and their dominance over NFC East.

Gay Ork Wang
12-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Lions will be my 2nd favourite team!

Sniper
12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Eagles are going 10-5-1 and making the playoffs. kthxbai.

d34ng3l021
12-08-2008, 12:57 PM
With the Saints and Eagles winning and the Falcons, Cowboys, and Redskins losing, looks like the race for the last WC spot just got a lot more intense.

Today's implications: If TB wins, they have a pretty easy path for the division title. If CAR wins, they might semi falter later, making the WC race that much more difficult with TB and CAR. at decent records.

bearsfan_51
12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't entirely rule out the Bears in the wild card race either. While it's more likely they would win the North, it's possible that both the Vikings and Bears finish 10-6. The tie-breaks don't go well for the Bears, but they don't for the Saints either and they were included in the conversation.

Basically the game on Thursday will eliminate one team from contention and keep another one alive.

If I had a gun to my head I would agree with Sniper that the Eagles finish out undefeated and go in at 10-5-1, along with the loser of the Bucs/Panthers. It will likely come down to the Cowboys/Eagles game, and I favor the Eagles at home.

bearsfan_51
12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
My two cents:

NFC
1st- Giants (lock)
2nd- Tampa Bay
3rd- Arizona (lock)
4th- Green Bay
5th- Carolina
6th- Dallas

- Tampa Bay in the 2nd spot might be a bit of a leap, especially since I think Carolina is the better team with an already better record, but the remaining schedule for each team settles it for me.

-The NFC North and the last playoff spot will both be very competitive. I don't buy at all that a 10-6 team will miss the playoffs, and I think 9-7 will probably do it quite frankly. If you look at the remaining 6-4 teams (Dallas, Atlanta, Washington) none of them are particularly strong, and I don't see two of the three going 4-2, which is essentially what it would take. I think Dallas is the most likely of those three (not including Philadelphia for the time being), but none of those three are particularly impressive.

AFC
1) Tennessee (lock)
2) NY Jets (lock)
3) Pittsburgh (lock)
4) Denver
5) New England
6) Indianapolis

-The Jets as a lock might be a bit of a suprise for some (let alone the second seed), but they've really seem to find their footing as of late and their offense is on the brink of being overwhelming. I see New England and Indy beating out the less experienced teams (Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore)

Ah...here's an old post. I was obviously wrong about the Packers, whose defense is far worse than I thought it was. The rest of the NFC is pretty spot on, with a tepid endorsement of Dallas at the time, though recognizing the flaws in each time. Philly has put things together in a way that really isn't suprising, but not something I would have predicted at the time.

The Jets went from making me look really smart (made the pick pre-Tennessee), to now rather foolish in a rush to put them as a playoff lock. The Ravens have been a pleasant suprise so far, and I imagine they are a favorite to make the playoffs. I have no idea who will win the AFC East, I don't think anyone else does either. I'd put Indy as a playoff lock at this point.

Jvig43
12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Ah...here's an old post. I was obviously wrong about the Packers, whose defense is far worse than I thought it was. The rest of the NFC is pretty spot on, with a tepid endorsement of Dallas at the time, though recognizing the flaws in each time. Philly has put things together in a way that really isn't suprising, but not something I would have predicted at the time.

The Jets went from making me look really smart (made the pick pre-Tennessee), to now rather foolish in a rush to put them as a playoff lock. The Ravens have been a pleasant suprise so far, and I imagine they are a favorite to make the playoffs. I have no idea who will win the AFC East, I don't think anyone else does either. I'd put Indy as a playoff lock at this point.

As a Pats fan, I can seriously see any three teams competing right now take 1st. The Pats id say dont have such a good shot, their D got blown away by Seattle, and alot of players went down yesterday as well. I've yet to see a Jets game recently, but whats up with their losses lately? Miami has a great shot at taking 1st, with an easy schedule and momentum. I dont see the Ravens losing their wild card spot after last nights convincing win (in my eyes). Very interesting conference race.

Jughead10
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
As a Pats fan, I can seriously see any three teams competing right now take 1st. The Pats id say dont have such a good shot, their D got blown away by Seattle, and alot of players went down yesterday as well. I've yet to see a Jets game recently, but whats up with their losses lately? Miami has a great shot at taking 1st, with an easy schedule and momentum. I dont see the Ravens losing their wild card spot after last nights convincing win (in my eyes). Very interesting conference race.

Week 17 Dolphins @ Jets. Might come down to that. Although I'm still betting on that Pats. Don't have that bad of a schedule. I wouldn't be shocked if they won out.

Giantsfan1080
12-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Week 17 Dolphins @ Jets. Might come down to that. Although I'm still betting on that Pats. Don't have that bad of a schedule. I wouldn't be shocked if they won out.

I bet the AFC Teams are rooting for the Dolphins to win the AFC East. That would be a real easy matchup for the Colts or Ravens

tjsunstein
12-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Let's go Jets pretty much. We're out of the playoffs despite the mathematical shot but I want the best for Favre and our draft pick.

gsorace
12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
The Jets coaching staff is totally clueless, I almost hope we don't make the playoffs because if we do it will probably buy Mangini a few more seasons.

Flyboy
12-08-2008, 03:50 PM
The Saints need to win out and A LOT of help.

SaintsMan
12-08-2008, 05:25 PM
The Saints need to win out and A LOT of help.

Let's just go out on a high note with the 10-6 record. I don't think we'll be able to get the help we need. And we put another player on IR today, how about that.

The Dynasty
12-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Go Saints this week.

I just read that the Vikings can clinch with Bears lost and Vikings win. That's a lot to ask for but its possible.

d34ng3l021
12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
I will be rooting hard for Denver, Baltimore, Chicago, and whoever the Eagles and Redskins play.

Too many teams to keep track of :/

Sniper
12-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I will be rooting hard for Denver, Baltimore, Chicago, and whoever the Eagles and Redskins play.

You are thus rooting for Cleveland this weekend.

CashmoneyDrew
12-08-2008, 05:49 PM
The two main teams I'm scared of the Titans playing in the playoffs are the Colts and the Ravens.

d34ng3l021
12-08-2008, 05:50 PM
You are thus rooting for Cleveland this weekend.

Great. Go Braylon Edwards!

CashmoneyDrew
12-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Great. Go Braylon Edwards!

It's ridiculously easy to get inside of Braylon Edwards' head.

Jvig43
12-08-2008, 06:22 PM

Idk, I see us dropping one against Arizona. Our D looked pitiful against Seattle, and suffered a few more key injuries, i dont want to see what Boldin and Fitz are gonna do to us. I can see Miami winning out actually, I think the Jets will lose to Miami last week, as well as drop another before that. I guess my prediction, or at least wouldnt be surprised to have happen is Miami winning the AFC East. Wow felt weird saying that.

Anyway, Colts are looking good and are clicking at just the right time, i see them making a playoff push.

Jughead10
12-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Idk, I see us dropping one against Arizona. Our D looked pitiful against Seattle, and suffered a few more key injuries, i dont want to see what Boldin and Fitz are gonna do to us. I can see Miami winning out actually, I think the Jets will lose to Miami last week, as well as drop another before that. I guess my prediction, or at least wouldnt be surprised to have happen is Miami winning the AFC East. Wow felt weird saying that.

Anyway, Colts are looking good and are clicking at just the right time, i see them making a playoff push.

I just don't see the Cards getting up for that game. They've shown they don't play well when they travel to the east coast. And even though they could be playing for the #3 seed instead of the #4, I just don't see them getting up for it.

Gay Ork Wang
12-09-2008, 08:59 AM

im happy if the Falcons win out and the Bears win out!

Im gonna be a big Bears/Giants/Cardinals/Falcons Fan these coming weeks

Geo
12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/09/week-15-playoff-scenarios/

BlindSite
12-10-2008, 02:49 AM
I'm a huge Falcon / Dallas fan this week. The last team I want to have to face in the post season is Tampa or New York.

Arizona imo will take an early exit.

d34ng3l021
12-10-2008, 03:18 AM
I will be rooting hard for Denver and New York.

BlindSite
12-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Denver pfffft, I just realised actually they've beaten every team except carolina in the NFC:S and the Panthers have beaten every team except the broncs in the AFC:West.

d34ng3l021
12-10-2008, 04:38 AM
Well they haven't played each other. Denver's reign over the NFCS will continue! And who hasn't beaten every other team in the AFCW?

The Legend
12-10-2008, 04:49 AM
AFC South: Tennessee Titans - 15/1
AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers - 12/4
AFC East: New York Jets - 11/5
AFC West: Denver Broncos - 10/6
AFC Wild: Indianapolis Colts - 11/5
AFC Wild: Baltimore Ravens - 11/5

NFC East: New York Giants - 14/2
NFC South: Carolina Panthers - 12/4
NFC North: Chicago Bears - 10/6
NFC West: Arizona Cardinals - 10/6