PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassell might be looking at Aaron Rodgers-type deal

49ersfan_87
11-17-2008, 06:02 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/16/cassel-looking-for-rodgers-type-deal/

When quarterback Matt Cassel hits the free-agent market this winter, it is not hard to guess what his asking price will be.
It will be similar to the six-year, $65 million contract that Green Bay recently awarded its quarterback, Aaron Rodgers.

Thoughts? Do you think he is worth that much?

P-L
11-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Whoever gives him that type of money is making a mistake.

Gay Ork Wang
i hope its not a team i like that overpays him

The Dynasty
Whoever gives him that type of money is making a mistake.

Yeah and I'm afraid that Zygi Wilf will be the one making that Mistake..

princefielder28
Hahahaha if someone pays him that much they'll be making a big mistake. I would give him a 3 year deal at the most.

MetSox17
11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, i'm thinking something more like what Derek Anderson got last year, NOT Aaron Rodgers.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I bet Oakland will sign him to that kinda deal.

bigbluedefense
11-17-2008, 06:13 PM
even jamarcus russell thinks people are overreacting to one good game.

umphrey
11-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Tom Brady gets hurt and his backup looks to be a multi millionaire...

There are probably 50 or more QBs that could do what he's doing, given three healthy years learning the offense and that coaching and talent around him.

MetSox17
11-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Tom Brady gets hurt and his backup looks to be a multi millionaire...

There are probably 50 or more QBs that could do what he's doing, given three healthy years learning the offense and that coaching and talent around him.

Good point you bring up. Cassel is playing fairly decent, and whaddya know? He's been sitting for years learning the offense and watching an all-pro perform before his very eyes. It's sad that we don't get to see this more often cause i think the results speak for themselves.

bearfan
11-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Its because the NFL teams are impatient. There are tons of QBs who have the potential to be good QBs, but because of the lack of star QBs in the league, these potentially good QBs are forced to play before they are ready. And if they dont preform, because the team wants results now, they are willing to discard. I think that if Qbs were given 3-4 years to sit learning the same offense, that there would be a plethora of quality QBs.

bored of education
11-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Tyler Thigpen > White Castle

GB12
11-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah and I'm afraid that Zygi Wilf will be the one making that Mistake..
I've got a feeling he ends up in Minnesota too.

captainjack27
11-17-2008, 07:09 PM
EPIC FAIL if a team does.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Matt Cassell in Minnesota, mark it down.

TitleTown088
11-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Matt Cassell in Minnesota, mark it down.

I can only hope they over pay for him.

How about this one. After a fallout in the big apple, Favre to Minnesota '09!

Vikes99ej
11-17-2008, 07:48 PM
I can only hope they over pay for him.

How about this one. After a fallout in the big apple, Favre to Minnesota '09!

With that offensive line, he'd throw over 20 picks!

Bruce Banner
11-17-2008, 07:54 PM
No one will give him that. Most GMs aren't too bright these days, but most of them aren't this stupid either.

nrk
11-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Good point you bring up. Cassel is playing fairly decent, and whaddya know? He's been sitting for years learning the offense and watching an all-pro perform before his very eyes. It's sad that we don't get to see this more often cause i think the results speak for themselves.

He is playing in one of the best offenses ever. He has so much talent around him. That combined with how long hes sat in that system is what gets his results. If he goes to another team with a different system that has less talent, he will fail.

Babylon
11-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Take away the Jets game and he's probably a little over 6 ypa. To me he benefits by all the things that have been in place there in NE but really doesnt do anything special. He also tends to fold under pressure. I hope he does get a good deal somewhere but like someone mentioned hopefully it isnt a team i like.

11-17-2008, 08:38 PM
I've got a feeling he ends up in Minnesota too.

I was thinking more San Francisco.

regoob2
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Im crossing my fingers that the Vikes give him that much. Id laugh for a week.

Bucs_Rule
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
He's just like Brad Johnson. Both can't throw past 20 yards.

Zyro_1014
11-17-2008, 08:55 PM
i think he is playing well, but like alot have said i believe alot of it is due to him learning for so many years behind Brady. Sure he has some tools to work with and i belive there are MANY qb's who would benefit from throwing to the weapons he has....he'll find somewhere to be a starter but it will not be for that type of dough.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Besides last game he has been awfully mediocre despite being under the system for many years learning under one of the best, and having a weapons in Randy Moss and Wes Welker that he is unlikely to have in most destinations. I honestly don't think he's any better than Matt Schaub at all. Personally I think Schaub is much better even though Schaub has problems in his own right. I think Cassell could be one of the most valuable QB's to have as an elite backup and potential starter, but I don't think he's a starting caliber QB in the NFL for a long period of time. IMO teams are just drooling over him because of the Tom Brady effect. This is not Tom Brady.

BeerBaron
11-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Well....it only takes one team to throw out that kind of deal for him to get it.

And I too think he is a great backup and spot starter, but I don't think he's going to be anyone's franchise QB...

locseti
11-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Nobody is going to give a backup Aaron Rodgers type money.

CT Bronco Fan
11-17-2008, 09:16 PM
the Jets will overpay for Cassel after Favre retires for good this year.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Well....it only takes one team to throw out that kind of deal for him to get it.

And I too think he is a great backup and spot starter, but I don't think he's going to be anyone's franchise QB...

Exactly. I think he'd be a great QB for a team taking a franchise QB in the first and willing to sit them 2 or 3 years. Cassell could make a long career as a spot up starter for various teams with young guns in the wings. Not the most comfortable lifestyle but he'd still get paid good and be a starter.

Homestar2281
11-17-2008, 10:13 PM
If any team signs him to start or even compete for a starting job them are making a huge mistake

Basileus777
11-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Matt Cassell is nothing more than a good backup. He's been a checkdown king 95% of the year.

Jvig43
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
If any team signs him to start or even compete for a starting job them are making a huge mistake

Well as you can tell from my sig im not a big fan of Cassell, but hes playing better then alot of other starting Qbs right now.

SuperKevin
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
After watching the last 5 weeks, I want Buffalo to seriously consider giving Cassell the money.

11-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Cassel = Schaub

Maybe something similar to the six-year, $48 million deal he got a couple years back.

Brent
11-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Kevin O'Connell > Matt Cassel. Any team that pays Cassel more than a little over minimum is kidding themselves.

San Diego Chicken
11-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Cassel = Schaub

Maybe something similar to the six-year, $48 million deal he got a couple years back.

I'd rather have Cassel than Schaub. At least Cassel can stay on the field for five minutes without suffering some sort of injury.

derza222
11-17-2008, 10:42 PM
the Jets will overpay for Cassel after Favre retires for good this year.

I really, really, really, really hope not. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be shocked.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Sure, I'd give him Aaron Rodgers money. If almost all of the contract is built of escalators.

I know contract are expanding, but I don't think Cassell gets that money. He hasn't earned that security yet.

ElectricEye
11-17-2008, 11:02 PM
I doubt that's true. If he gets that kind of money, there's something wrong with the league. He's been in the system for four years and is playing with most of the best offense in NFL history.

steelersfan43
11-17-2008, 11:05 PM
No, he is completely a product of the talent around him.

NGSeiler
11-18-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm praying that Rams fans don't start clamoring for this guy in the spring...

Menardo75
11-18-2008, 12:44 AM
It honestly would not shock me one bit to see the Jets take him.

SuperKevin
11-18-2008, 12:46 AM
I'd be shocked if the Jets took him. They are supposedly in love with Brett Ratliff.

ElectricEye
11-18-2008, 01:06 AM
I'd be shocked if the Jets took him. They are supposedly in love with Brett Ratliff.

I've heard that before, but it just seems too dumb to be true. I mean, I don't see the practices or anything...but Brett Ratliff?

Just to clarify; I don't think Cassel is that bad. He's really serviceable in certain situations. I suppose that's more than you can ask in some situations, but he hasn't proved much of anything to me yet. His deep ball is by far the worst in the league. He has a really good arm, but he just lacks any kind of feel on passes more than ten yards down the field. Part of the problem is he holds onto the ball much too long. It's going to lead to a lot of sacks when he plays on another team. A lot of sacks and a lot of picks. He isn't capable of making certain throws. That's ok, a lot of guys have throws they can't make...but the problem is he has a lot of them.

diabsoule
11-18-2008, 01:07 AM

Did Kellen Clemens look that bad when he played last year?

diabsoule
11-18-2008, 01:11 AM
While I don't think Cassell deserves Aaron Rodgers type of money, I still think he deserves maybe more than Derek Anderson received when he re-signed with Cleveland. Cassell is good at what he does and I see a lot of potential in him but he's going to have to land in an ideal situation. Minnesota is the perfect place, imo. A very good offensive line, two backs that can get it done on the ground, and a decent WR corp. He'd be put into a position to be a game manager, which is what he is.

If he lands in Minnesota, they could use him much like Pittsburgh used Roethlisberger in his first couple of years. Let the ground game grind down the defense and set up the play-action. Let him air it out just a few (A FEW!) times a game and the rest use to make the easy throws.

BlindSite
11-18-2008, 04:55 AM
Pretty much outlined my thoughts in dis thread: http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27018

I don't think he'll get Aaron Rogers money, but he'll be best paid of any FA QB.

Brent
11-18-2008, 06:34 AM
I've heard that before, but it just seems too dumb to be true. I mean, I don't see the practices or anything...but Brett Ratliff?
He supposedly took some time to get adjusted to the offense but this past off season they fell in love with his performance in TC and the preseason.

Did Kellen Clemens look that bad when he played last year?
I dont think that's the case but rather he doesnt look like starting material, contrary what I remember Merril Hoge saying when he was drafted haha.

ChezPower4
11-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Cassel = Schaub

Cassel=Doug Johnson

I hope that the Vikings pay him this kind of money I would laugh forever.

katnip
11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
If he got a big contract.. It'd be a joke

tjsunstein
11-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Vikings or Lions should make a play at him. I will forever laugh in their faces.

FlyingElvis
11-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm thinking a Derek Anderson type deal, too. Any team that does otherwise will likely regret it.

ChezPower4
11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Vikings or Lions should make a play at him. I will forever laugh in their faces.

I was just thinking that the Lions could be a player in getting Cassell but then I thought now that they've got a new GM, he couldn't possibly do something this damn stupid.

gsorace
11-18-2008, 02:59 PM

Brett Ratliff is the second coming of Joe Namath.

RaiderNation
11-18-2008, 05:55 PM
6 years 65 mil? Noooo.

I say probably a 4 year deal with around 20 to 30 mil is what a team will give him

GB12
11-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I was just thinking that the Lions could be a player in getting Cassell but then I thought now that they've got a new GM, he couldn't possibly do something this damn stupid.
The Lions aren't going to sign him. I doubt they would even with Millen. They'll suck no matter who's at QB, might as well stick with Culpepper who can bomb it down to Johnson.

illmatic74
11-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Matt Cassel will be the best QB pickup since Rob Johnson.

BlindSite
11-19-2008, 02:23 AM
The Lions aren't going to sign him. I doubt they would even with Millen. They'll suck no matter who's at QB, might as well stick with Culpepper who can bomb it down to Johnson.

I quite honestly still have no idea why Stanton hasn't been given more of a shot than a few passes in the fourth quarter of a loss, I watched his play and didn't notice a lot of flaws in what he was doing, he looked off coverage ok and his plant, set and throws were all fairly decent.

I realise Culpepper's experience and ability to throw the deep ball is probably better for trying to salvage a season but at 0-10, why not let Stanton take some lumps?

Shane P. Hallam
11-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Stanton must be really terrible in practice I imagine.

ChezPower4
11-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Stanton must be really terrible in practice I imagine.

Must be but who really knows? I haven't heard much about the guy since he was drafted, except when he got hurt..... in practice.

Bruce Banner
11-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Cassel fail.

No one will give him anything resembling an elite deal.

Vikes99ej
11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Cassel fail.

No one will give him anything resembling an elite deal.

Hell, it's an EPIC fail when you through two picks against the number one defense in the NFL! Where were the 400 yards this week?!

Bruce Banner
11-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Hell, it's an EPIC fail when you through two picks against the number one defense in the NFL! Where were the 400 yards this week?!

He looked lost. He can continue to beat up on decent defenses with his great offense help but he was exposed tonight.

He won't be anything more than mid-tier in this league.

Take away a top 5 o-line and legit receiver options, and THEN put him up against a great D, and **** gets uglier.

bored of education
11-30-2008, 07:07 PM
He looked lost. He can continue to beat up on decent defenses with his great offense help but he was exposed tonight.

Take away a top 5 o-line and legit receiver options, and THEN put him up against a great D, and **** gets uglier.
Word up! I agree!

Vikes99ej
11-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Yeah, I still don't doubt that someone will throw a good deal of cash at him.

bored of education
11-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I still don't doubt that someone will throw a good deal of cash at him.

I will tell you this..it wont be KC!

Vikes99ej
11-30-2008, 07:13 PM
I will tell you this..it wont be KC!

Carl Peterson throwing money at anyone would puzzle me.

Mr. Stiller
11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
I can't see him getting huge money. I could see a mid-range at best.

IMO A lot of teams will label him a scheme QB.

Brent
11-30-2008, 07:57 PM
IMO A lot of teams will label him a scheme QB.
One of the Niners' beat writers was saying that's the opinion of the organization and their scouts. I imagine most the other teams feel the same way.

SenorGato
11-30-2008, 08:49 PM
He was impressive against the Jets. That was the kind of game I would have expected from a healthy Brady. He avoided sacks really well, and made some great throws, including some drops that I thought were well placed.

Still, I'm not all that amazed. I'll give him that he's been well coached and he's got some talent, but in this market someone's going to overpay. If he's ASKING for a good contract based on his play this year, he should go somewhere. That's like asking for your confidence to get beaten down.

He'd probably go nice with the Vikings though. I could see him pulling a Matt Schaub there and looking like a good starter there. Hopefully, he can stay healthy, which Schaub can't do.

Mr. Stiller
11-30-2008, 08:56 PM
He was impressive against the Jets. That was the kind of game I would have expected from a healthy Brady. He avoided sacks really well, and made some great throws, including some drops that I thought were well placed.

Still, I'm not all that amazed. I'll give him that he's been well coached and he's got some talent, but in this market someone's going to overpay. If he's ASKING for a good contract based on his play this year, he should go somewhere. That's like asking for your confidence to get beaten down.

He'd probably go nice with the Vikings though. I could see him pulling a Matt Schaub there and looking like a good starter there. Hopefully, he can stay healthy, which Schaub can't do.

Unless Pats OC goes there, I see Vikings either drafting or Starting JDB.

Edit: Scott Mitchell Part Deux