PDA

View Full Version : Run-Supporting Safeties

BuckDawg23
11-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Who are the top run-supporting safeties that looks to go round 2 or later? (basically everyone excluding Mays and Moore)

Sniper
11-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Kevin Ellison.

SuperKevin
11-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Patrick Chung is a physical safety who is very effective near the LOS.

From what I've read, S Louis Delmas of Western Michigan, who was invited to the Senior Bowl, is a rising prospect who is a tackling machine.

DiG
11-18-2008, 10:47 AM
anyone think chancellor from vtech will declare? he's a guy that is pretty solid in the run game. probably a 2nd round talent if he declares could move into the first if he sticks around next year. i really like emanuel cook too but im not sure that he will declare either. he's great in run support and tackles very nicely but has good range too.

Don Vito
11-18-2008, 10:48 AM
For anyone who has seen Ole Miss play, JaMarca Sanford is an absolute beast against the run. He is the leader of our defense as well.

draftguru151
11-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Kevin Ellison and Anthony Reddick are both great against the run, though both might lack the coverage ability to start in the NFL.

Brent
11-18-2008, 11:00 AM
I am a big Patrick Chung fan. I would love to replace Roman with him.

SuperKevin
11-18-2008, 11:00 AM
I am a big Patrick Chung fan.

Everybody Wang Chung tonight!

D-Unit
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I like Michael Hamlin's game. He could translate to either safety spot.

Nic Harris is a good run stuffing safety.

princefielder28
11-18-2008, 12:47 PM

Nic Harris will have to make the move to LB in the NFL

draftguru151
11-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Nic Harris looked awful at LB and I'm pretty sure he got moved back to safety after one game at LB. He's not really that much of a run supporting safety either, especially considering how big he is. Seriously doubt he ends up at LB in the NFL.

Zyro_1014
11-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Kevin Ellison.

definately! think he will be able to stay at safety? or will he have to move to backer?

diabsoule
11-18-2008, 01:01 PM

I'm hoping Hamlin is there for the Saints in the third.

thenewfeature06
11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
a couple that come to mind

Keith Fitzhugh-Miss St.
Kevin Ellison- USC
Myron Rolle- FSU

Giantsfan1080
11-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Courtney Greene really hurt his stock this year but he's very good against the run. He'll come up to the line and pop you pretty hard.

thenewfeature06
11-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Tate got him on a double move this year when Greene was matched on him

Giantsfan1080
11-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Tate got him on a double move this year when Greene was matched on him

Like I said he's been pretty bad this year but his other 3 years he was always very good against the run. Everyone on UNC got RU that night.

giantsfan
11-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm hoping Hamlin is there for the Saints in the third.

I think Hamlin's a day one pick, he's a very versatile safety prospect because with his size and speed he projects very well to both safety spots and his play has been very good as well.

Babylon
11-18-2008, 02:17 PM
definately! think he will be able to stay at safety? or will he have to move to backer?

I dont think he has the natural size to move to linebacker but i like him at safety, also think former overrated and now probably underrated safety Taylor Mays will be great in run support. I know i harp on the Brown's defense but both these guys we're talking about would not only start for the Browns but would be their best back 7 defenders from day one.

Zyro_1014
11-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I dont think he has the natural size to move to linebacker but i like him at safety, also think former overrated and now probably underrated safety Taylor Mays will be great in run support. I know i harp on the Brown's defense but both these guys we're talking about would not only start for the Browns but would be their best back 7 defenders from day one.

yeah i love Ellison but people have questioned whether or not he has the speed to be able to stay at safety....i guess if he stays around the line that wont be a problem.

Mayes is good at what we ask him to do...people dont get that. that boy is not overrated. So i like your comments about him :)

Menardo75
11-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Nic Harris, Patrick Chung, and Kevin Ellison are the top run support safties imo.

Babylon
11-18-2008, 02:35 PM
yeah i love Ellison but people have questioned whether or not he has the speed to be able to stay at safety....i guess if he stays around the line that wont be a problem.

Mayes is good at what we ask him to do...people dont get that. that boy is not overrated. So i like your comments about him :)

I referenced the Browns defense, it is my opinion that there isnt a linebacker on that team that could start for the Trojans and not sure if any of them would make the two deep either. Sorry to hijack the thread but had to get that off my chest, that was the most horrid job of tackling i've probably seen by a pro team in years.

thenewfeature06
11-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Dqwell Jackson could make the trojans team

princefielder28
11-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Nic Harris looked awful at LB and I'm pretty sure he got moved back to safety after one game at LB. He's not really that much of a run supporting safety either, especially considering how big he is. Seriously doubt he ends up at LB in the NFL.

Well he does not have the speed to play safety with success in the NFL

Babylon
11-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Dqwell Jackson could make the trojans team

You're right, he would probably share time with Maiava and Galippo, he isnt as good as Rey or Cushing.

SuperKevin
11-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Well he does not have the speed to play safety with success in the NFL

He may not have straightline speed but watching him at Oklahoma he appears to have enough acceleration and agility needed to cover the TEs and HBs which is really what you ask for from a safety.

thenewfeature06
11-18-2008, 03:12 PM
we'll see when Rey and Cushing get in the NFL last time i checked D'Qwell Jackson is leading the NFL as of right now with 99 tackles

Babylon
11-18-2008, 03:23 PM
we'll see when Rey and Cushing get in the NFL last time i checked D'Qwell Jackson is leading the NFL as of right now with 99 tackles

You've most likely seen a lot more of the Cleveland Browns than i have but what good are tackle numbers when it's 10 yards down the field? Braylon Edwards had 8 catches last night and he didnt show he could hold onto the ball or go up in traffic and make a play so i don't put much into numbers. I'll hold off but something tells me that defense stinks.

Cigaro
11-18-2008, 03:55 PM
No Emanuel Cook mentions? One of the, if not the best hard hitting/form tackling safety in the SEC. He leads the an extremely good defense in tackles despite playing in the backfield. Top notch run supporter.

DragonFireKai
11-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Oregon State has two safeties who are great in run support. Al Afalava and Greg Laybourn. They're a little weak in deep coverage, but they're excellent tacklers, and instinctive with their positioning.

ElectricEye
11-18-2008, 04:13 PM
As far as guys who would go after the first, Kevin Ellison and Patrick Chung are both pretty damned good. David Bruton is another guy to look out for, he's got a really solid all around game and that includes pretty good tackling abilities. Nic Harris is great at it but he's kinda slow and lacks a true position.