PDA

View Full Version : Mike Teel

CherryGarcia510
11-19-2008, 11:38 PM
After this year where does his draft stock stand? It has been a tough year for senior quarterbacks as a whole, but Teel seems to be doing a bit better lately. Thoughts?

regoob2
11-19-2008, 11:45 PM
undrafted.

Zyro_1014
11-19-2008, 11:51 PM
undrafted.

Starheater says: "hes a top 10 lock" :)

11-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Starheater says: "hes a top 10 lock" :)

Not even in this case would Scotty say so.

bigblue1092
11-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I think Teel can be a player in the right system. Just give some time to develop, the kid can make plays. Should go 6th or 7th.

ElectricEye
11-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Late rounder. Hopefully he can get into camp with somebody. He was a good program guy, but I can't see him doing anything in the NFL.

josh07039
11-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Dude has always had the arm and size to pull it off. However, he's dumb, inconsistent, and inaccurate. Undrafted/CFL

Giantsfan1080
11-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Scotty and I are the biggest RU homers on the board. Teel goes undrafted and unsigned.

josh07039
11-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Scotty and I are the biggest RU homers on the board. Teel goes undrafted and unsigned.
Don't leave me out of the Rutgers homerism. I just haven't been able to get my main topic out there lately cause Leonard is injured. But just wait until he gets healthy and gets his shot. Also, martinek=god.

Giantsfan1080
11-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Don't leave me out of the Rutgers homerism. I just haven't been able to get my main topic out there lately cause Leonard is injured. But just wait until he gets healthy and gets his shot. Also, martinek=god.

I actually forgot about you because you dissapeared. We can talk about Leonard next year. The other RU players in the NFL are all doing pretty well. Martinek looks like the next Leonard but more of a pure RB. He has way more of a burst at the end of the run though. Schiano did a poor job of not indentifying that earlier in the season.

Menardo75
11-20-2008, 01:25 AM
I would say 7th round. If Alex Brink can get drafted in the 7th then Teel is a lock.

SuperKevin
11-20-2008, 01:42 AM
3rd round pick in the 2009 State Farm Insurance Salesman draft

vatech=accdomination
11-20-2008, 10:13 AM
UDFA 4 life.

josh07039
11-20-2008, 10:37 AM
I actually forgot about you because you dissapeared. We can talk about Leonard next year. The other RU players in the NFL are all doing pretty well. Martinek looks like the next Leonard but more of a pure RB. He has way more of a burst at the end of the run though. Schiano did a poor job of not indentifying that earlier in the season.
I wrote a pretty big write up of the Rutgers rb situation in the jets preseason thread and i wanted to see Martinek and brooks get the majority of the carries from the start because I have never had confidence in Young or Robinson to be a feature back. Martinek is obviously faster than Leonard and he has the uncanny ability of never losing yardage. If Martinek gets the opportunity over the next few years, the only knock on him in a few years will be his color.

I could go on and on about Schiano's mistakes this year, but im too lazy to type it all.

I did disappear for a while, but I'm back with my scarlet guns blazing.

Jonny
11-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Teel will get into a camp. He has decent size and an above average arm, and he has good intangibles. After then, you never know. He has some potential. Who in the senior class is really any good?

The problem is that he's really, REALLY streaky, still makes stupid mistakes, and is the king of overthrowing.

Larry121283
11-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Damn...a Joey Martinek reference. I remember covering him for the Herald while he was still a sophy in HS. This was before I moved down to Miami.

Good kid, always liked interviewing him. His dad knows his football.

Was back home and was at the Jefferson game where he ran for nearly 400 yards. Everyone was up in the press box in awe as he just over kids.

If he didn't play in the SCIL, he would have gotten more attention. Kids from the SCIL just don't get daps. Just not a lot of talent. I think there have been under a handful that actually went D1 over the past few years. Joey, kid from Newton that went to Buffalo. Tight end that played for Indiana. Yovanovich that played for the Jets and played at Temple. And Brandon Perez from Pope John who went to NMSU.

Giantsfan1080
11-20-2008, 01:07 PM
I wrote a pretty big write up of the Rutgers rb situation in the jets preseason thread and i wanted to see Martinek and brooks get the majority of the carries from the start because I have never had confidence in Young or Robinson to be a feature back. Martinek is obviously faster than Leonard and he has the uncanny ability of never losing yardage. If Martinek gets the opportunity over the next few years, the only knock on him in a few years will be his color.

I could go on and on about Schiano's mistakes this year, but im too lazy to type it all.

I did disappear for a while, but I'm back with my scarlet guns blazing.

Schiano did make a lot of mistakes but for him to turn the team around like he did is pretty amazing. We also had to integrate a lot of new pieces in the beginning of the year which hurt us also. I'm becoming a huge Martinek fan and I hope he really starts to get the majority of the carries. Young is a decent 3rd down back in passing situations.

SKim172
11-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Undrafted, probably makes it to a camp, even as a camp body. If he lights it up in his remaining games and the chips fall right, maybe a seventh rounder.

Teel has his strengths. He's got the size and an above average arm. Played in a pro offense. Has a good sense of the pocket. Has a fairly quick release, which actually contributes to his flaws.

His weakness lies in the mental part of the game. His footwork is shoddy. He stares down his receivers. He can be crazy accurate, but other times, all over the place. He's always looking to get rid of the ball as quick as possible. He throws without setting his feet, sometimes even before finishing his drop, and launches it at his first option, even if they're covered. And I wonder if that might be partly the coaches' fault.

Keep in mind, Teel spent three years handing off to Ray Rice. He was the untested QB with untested receivers, in a power run offense. When it came time to throw, they encouraged him to throw quick and not eat the sack. Teel doesn't set his feet, tends to stare down receivers, never pump fakes, never looks off receivers, always looks to throw right off the snap.

He showed lots of improvement in 2006, but regressed in late 2007. 2008 started off like a nightmare, but he's suddenly snapped back. Hard to figure him out, but lately, he's been taking time in the pocket, throwing to receivers other than Kenny Britt, making second reads, throwing the checkdown when it's not there. Wasn't doing that against UNC.

Dunno about him. He appears to have NFL tools, but the technique and the mental part needs work. Coachable, sure, but he'll need a team to take its time to work on him.

One thing to his credit - he's gotten through four years of booing. He's never played a season where he wasn't booed at the end of at least one game. Never for Rice or Britt, occasionally for Schiano, but Teel's been the RU fanbase punching bag. Every mistake, every loss, the blame is put almost entirely on his shoulders. Props to him for taking that.

the_legend_killer
11-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I think he'll get a look someplace and maybe fit onto someone's practice squad, but not much else.

scottyboy
11-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Mike Teel makes me wanna punch babies in the face. My lord, he's so damn inconsistant. It's soo crazy. He'll have games like he did at Pitt, and games like 80% of this season. My god, some throws he makes are just like, why? to who? where? WHAT THE **** TEEL? things like that. He could make a camp, but that's about it. I don't even expect to see him in preseason... but he's still the 2nd coming of John Elway

STARHEATHER
11-26-2008, 10:45 PM
i would say undraftable. ive seen this dude play awful football. like 3 picks in first half type stuff. weak armed. not as big as advertised

Jonny
11-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Teel's listed at 6'4 but he's a legit 6'2 at least. You're absolutely wrong about his arm strength, it's pretty good. Not the best, but pretty good.

Teel isn't undraftable per se, but he's soooo inconsistent. He can look great one week and horrible the next.

scottyboy
11-27-2008, 06:40 AM
i would say undraftable. ive seen this dude play awful football. like 3 picks in first half type stuff. weak armed. not as big as advertised

well if you say he's undrafted with a weak arm, he should go about round 2 and will have 99 throw power in Madden 2010. awesome!

STARHEATHER
11-27-2008, 10:57 AM
im sorry but the idea of my team trotting out mike teel, its too horrible to imagine. so for me that type is undraftable

ManOverboard
11-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Might be my Rutgers fan side talking but I think Teel can most definitely be developed into a solid back-up with the right coaching. He's got everything you look for physically in a QB and I think if he has a good game against Louisville and then in the bowl he can slip into the back of the draft.

josh07039
11-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Might be my Rutgers fan side talking but I think Teel can most definitely be developed into a solid back-up with the right coaching. He's got everything you look for physically in a QB and I think if he has a good game against Louisville and then in the bowl he can slip into the back of the draft.You can always say its possible about a guy with his type of physical ability. He's Rex Grossmanesque in that there is a good and bad Mike. If you see him one day he's a potential nfl talent, the next he's not even a cfl talent. So he may end up getting a team to draft him in the late rounds but i just can't see him sticking with a team unless he hits a hot streak for whatever post season game stuff he does (game/try outs) and for training camp and then he makes the team as a backup and never plays.

ManOverboard
11-28-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm saying teach the kid a proper play action fake hand off, get a good coach who can teach a QB how to read the complex defenses, and most importantly (and I know it's very difficult to fix) have him not stare down his #1 option and teach the kid to look at the check down and I think he would make a solid #2.

illmatic74
11-28-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm saying teach the kid a proper play action fake hand off, get a good coach who can teach a QB how to read the complex defenses, and most importantly (and I know it's very difficult to fix) have him not stare down his #1 option and teach the kid to look at the check down and I think he would make a solid #2.I would take him in the late rounds over a Graham Harrel or Chase Daniel.

josh07039
11-28-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm saying teach the kid a proper play action fake hand off, get a good coach who can teach a QB how to read the complex defenses, and most importantly (and I know it's very difficult to fix) have him not stare down his #1 option and teach the kid to look at the check down and I think he would make a solid #2.
Uhm I suppose it's possible. I'm just saying after 4 years running a pro style offense he still doesn't quite get it. He's had success but still doesn't show that he has the whole quarterback thing mastered. He still doesn't show consistency in terms of accuracy or decision making.