PDA

View Full Version : I Love Michael Johnson!

BamaFalcon59
11-20-2008, 07:24 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

He's such an athlete. Should be a great pass rusher. I just said that to make it pro-related. But, yes!

WarOnTheShore
11-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Boy. Guy finally makes a play and someone freaks out.

"Should be" a great pass rusher. Indeed. He's not.

BamaFalcon59
11-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Boy. Guy finally makes a play and someone freaks out.

"Should be" a great pass rusher. Indeed. He's not.

You obviously don't understand my situation.

Check avitar.

Sniper
11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

He's such an athlete. Should be a great pass rusher. I just said that to make it pro-related. But, yes!

But he's not good.

BamaFalcon59
11-20-2008, 07:48 PM
I only said that because I needed it to be draft related.

C'mon!

sbh15
11-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Ryan Leaf was supposed to be a great quarterback...

Smokey Joe
11-20-2008, 09:50 PM
I made sure to watch him the whole game, and may I say he sucks? The only good thing he does is get his arms up when he's blocked, but the problem is he's blocked on every play it seems like.

gpngc
11-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Who was it who neutralized him? Youngblood? I didn't watch the game.

Vikes99ej
11-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Well, according to the dude on Sportscenter he's going to be "a very high draft pick"!

Zyro_1014
11-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Ryan Leaf was supposed to be a great quarterback...

that fool was the biggest joke.

critesy
11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
aka miami probably wont get first in the acc.

thebow305
11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm a HUGE Miami fan, but I couldn't help but be mesmerized by Johnson the entire game. That guy is such a freak athlete it's almost unreal.

Zyro_1014
11-20-2008, 11:17 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/Zyro_1014/2719764045_a0bb1c3062.jpg

Larry121283
11-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Fantastic athlete...not a good defensive end. He has a lot of technique work if he wants to be a big time DE in the NFL. An NFL LT will eat him alive. Right now, he relies a lot of his athleticism...and tonight, against Miami, he did a good job using it to clog up passing lanes...but as a pass rusher...less than impressed.

No sacks tonight against an injured Jason Fox. One tackle (for loss, to be fair)...he wasn't in the backfield a lot.

Meh as a defense end. If I have good coaching, I think I can turn him into a player...but it is going to take some time. He is very raw in terms of technique (more raw than Calais last year).

aNYtitan
11-20-2008, 11:49 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/Zyro_1014/2719764045_a0bb1c3062.jpg

Juice! Just had to say it

scar988
11-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Michael Johnson will come in as much shorter than his 6'7" listed height. Think around 6'5" and around 260. Someone will try and make him a 3-4 OLB or MLB.

thebow305
11-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Michael Johnson will come in as much shorter than his 6'7" listed height. Think around 6'5" and around 260. Someone will try and make him a 3-4 OLB or MLB.

I actually think he will be a better 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE in the NFL. If used as a Rush Backer like we use Porter here in Miami he could be an ELITE player. He is very explosive off the snap and is quicker than any OT he will face, probably EVER. Plus he is incredibly strong to fight off blockers off the edge. With just a little more effort and coaching, he could be very special.

For the most part, here in Miami, Porter is an every-down rusher. He doesn't drop back into coverage very often, but is fairly adequate when he does. He is an ELITE rusher off the edge and that's what suits him best. I think Johnson could fall into this same mold and be a Pro Bowler, like Joey.

I do admit though, if he is put into a 4-3 and is constantly manned up 1-on-1 on OT's in the NFL, he will struggle mightily and may never reach his full potential.

Zyro_1014
11-21-2008, 01:35 AM

Middle Linebacker? tell me youre kidding

Leon Sandcastle
11-21-2008, 03:34 AM
We need to lay off the kid a bit.

Scott Wright
11-21-2008, 03:36 AM
There is no question that Johnson has flashes, that's why scouts love him so much. However, he is also invisible most of the time and teams certainly aren't afraid to run at him.

I don't see Johnson as a 3-4 OLB and I can't picture him holding up as an every down defensive end in a 4-3 either. I have been very unimpressed with Johnson every single time I have seen him this season and to me he is a situational pass rusher. I just don't see how you can justify using a Top 10 pick on a guy who is that limited and streaky. I would definitely have Brian Orakpo, Greg Hardy and Everette Brown ranked ahead of him.

ElectricEye
11-21-2008, 03:46 AM
He made a good catch on that ball even though it was thrown right at him and an alright play in coverage a few series later. Forced Harris into making a bad read by taking away the runningback. Besides that, when he actually had to rush the passer he didn't look like anything special.

I agree with Scott about the 3-4 OLB thing. He's not the type that can do it. He doesn't have the right body type for it. He wouldn't make it as an ILB either...that just doesn't make much sense to me. The only thing he has going for him is his athleticism off the edge. He moves pretty well laterally and he's decent in coverage but he's just not a natural fit at that position.

Johnson is probably going to be picked a lot higher than he should. I still don't think it's over for him quite yet...it probably won't be for awhile with the kind of athleticism he has. Technique can be learned. Instincts and motor probably can't and I don't think he has those. He doesn't really look like he wants it.

Larry121283
11-21-2008, 08:06 AM
There is no question that Johnson has flashes, that's why scouts love him so much. However, he is also invisible most of the time and teams certainly aren't afraid to run at him.

I don't see Johnson as a 3-4 OLB and I can't picture him holding up as an every down defensive end in a 4-3 either. I have been very unimpressed with Johnson every single time I have seen him this season and to me he is a situational pass rusher. I just don't see how you can justify using a Top 10 pick on a guy who is that limited and streaky. I would definitely have Brian Orakpo, Greg Hardy and Everette Brown ranked ahead of him.
I agree Scott.

And honestly, I'd probably rank Michael Johnson lower if I put together a big board (not sure if I'd rank him below Everette...not a fan of the FSU DEs).

His only redeeming quality is that athleticism and with that comes the upside...but he is definitely a project that is going to take some time. Jamaal Anderson was a very high pick and a project, because his technique was so raw and he had not yet developed, but in college relied completely on that athleticism, but his college performance trumped Johnson's a few times over. We see how Anderson has played.

If I am being discreet...I'd probably throw a late 2nd or early 3rd round draft grade, but I'm fully aware he is going much higher than that. Unless I, as a team, have some time to develop him (for example, let's say the Giants), I'd stay away from Michael Johnson early in the draft. If you have an immediate pass rush need...there are a good number of defensive ends that I'd take over him.

With that said, I'm fully prepared to eat my words when a simple training camp turns him into an impact rookie...I have some bad luck judging players like this at times.

Mr. Offseason
11-21-2008, 02:20 PM
contrary to some of you i think his best bet is to move to OLB in a 3-4. like most of you i dont think he is much more than a situational pass rusher in the 4-3 because he doesnt stand up well to the run. he is raw technique-wise and relies a lot on his athleticism. however he does do a good job of taking away passing lanes with his long arms. i think the OLB spot in a 3-4 would allow him to continue to use his athleticism to his advantage (occasionally in coverage but more as a pass rusher with his quickness and speed). as he developed his technique and pass rush moves (which will take time) he could pan out to be a good player there. i think thats his best chance at success in the NFL, not at RE in a 4-3.

-Mr. Offseason

ChezPower4
11-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Well, according to the dude on Sportscenter he's going to be "a very high draft pick"!

Oh yea and it's not like Sportscenter is all knowing

TitanHope
11-22-2008, 12:22 AM
He sucks dude...

(Unless he falls to the Titans in the 1st RD...then I <3 him)

Scott Wright
11-22-2008, 01:29 AM
For those who think he can play OLB, even in a 3-4 scheme, all I ask is name me another 6-7 linebacker starting in the NFL.

CashmoneyDrew
11-22-2008, 01:32 AM
For those who think he can play OLB, even in a 3-4 scheme, all I ask is name me another 6-7 linebacker starting in the NFL.

Mathias Kiwanuka was listed at 6-7 coming out of college and would be playing OLB if not for Osi's injury! Booya Scott! I one upped you! haha

I am very obviously joking.

Scott Wright
11-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Mathias Kiwanuka was listed at 6-7 coming out of college and would be playing OLB if not for Osi's injury! Booya Scott! I one upped you! haha

I am very obviously joking.

Kiwanuka was actually 6-5 3/4. And what position is he playing today?

CashmoneyDrew
11-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Kiwanuka was actually 6-5 3/4. And what position is he playing today?

Fooled ya with the fine print Scott.

OneToughGame
11-22-2008, 02:53 AM

I know it's not current era but wasn't Ted Hendricks 6'7?

Smokey Joe
11-22-2008, 08:19 AM
I'd be shocked if Johnson checks in at 6'7" at the combine/pro day.

BamaFalcon59
11-22-2008, 08:58 AM

And Jason Worilds ftw.

ManOverboard
11-22-2008, 09:29 AM
And Jason Worilds ftw.

Worilds when he was Adjepong at Carteret HS my Sophomore year I went in at TE and had to block him. Dude steamrolled me.

BamaFalcon59
11-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Worilds when he was Adjepong at Carteret HS my Sophomore year I went in at TE and had to block him. Dude steamrolled me.

He's a beast. You should feel good.