PDA

View Full Version : Best Centerfielders?

foozball
11-21-2008, 09:49 PM
There was a thread on the best run supporting safeties a few days ago. What I'm wondering is which safeties have the best ballskills. I know William Moore and Rashad Johnson are the top centerfielders right now, but what about the other guys? I'm particularly wondering about David Bruton from ND and if he's a FS or SS

Borat
11-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Grady Sizemore

regoob2
11-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Taylor Mays. Not a ball hawk int wise, but is probably the cream of the crop CF wise. Pegues is good also. Courtney Greene is also good.

ElectricEye
11-22-2008, 12:28 AM
I would say Taylor Mays by far. He doesn't have great ball skills, but he's really good in deep coverage.

CashmoneyDrew
11-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Eric Berry. Luckily, Tennessee still has him for at least one more year.

derza222
11-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Taylor Mays. Not a ball hawk int wise, but is probably the cream of the crop CF wise. Pegues is good also. Courtney Greene is also good.

Based on what I hear from Rutgers fans Greene has been a major disappointment this year, particularly in coverage, possibly due to some added weight this offseason.

Staubach12
11-22-2008, 12:36 AM
The best senior is Rashard Johnson. I know I might take some heat for that, but he's emerged as a fantastic prospect this year.

Juniors, the best is Eric Berry and then perhaps Taylor Mays.

CashmoneyDrew
11-22-2008, 12:37 AM
The best senior is Rashard Johnson. I know I might take some heat for that, but he's emerged as a fantastic prospect this year.

Juniors, the best is Eric Berry and then perhaps Taylor Mays.

Eric Berry is a Sophomore big sexy.

ElectricEye
11-22-2008, 01:02 AM
If Berry were eligible this wouldn't be much of a conversation. Original post didn't say eligible, but still, eh.

foozball
11-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Yea I meant eligible

What about David Bruton and Curtis Taylor?

CashmoneyDrew
11-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Scott did a nice little write up on David Bruton in his blog I do believe. You should probably check that out.

Mr. Stiller
11-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Yea I meant eligible

What about David Bruton and Curtis Taylor?

He's Big, Strong, fast (6'2 215/220lbs 4.45-4.52).

He is a solid FS, diagnoses plays fast, gets to the ball. He's a developmental prospect for sure, I'd say he plays S in the pro's around 220-225 and he seems to be a good in the box type of SS. The truth is too that ND is about worthless when it comes to the front 4 this year, but their passing defense is top notch and some of that credit certainly has to go to Bruton. Then again I might think he'd be a better FS on a better team because ND has no pressure on the QB's forcing them to make bad passes he could pick off. So maybe in all reality he could be a top notch FS or SS in the pro's. I hope he gets an all-star game invite, I think playing with a competant passrush will finally bring his abilities out.

In the Pitt game he was everywhere usually the only guy stopping LeSean McCoy.

BuddyCHRIST
11-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Impossible to tell with Myron Rolle since Mickey Andrews doesn't know that zone coverage exists.

Babylon
11-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Grady Sizemore

I knew that was coming.

Still not giving up on Taylor Mays to be the best of the bunch. I actually think he'll be much better in the pros.

derza222
11-22-2008, 12:01 PM
He's Big, Strong, fast (6'2 215/220lbs 4.45-4.52).

He is a solid FS, diagnoses plays fast, gets to the ball. He's a developmental prospect for sure, I'd say he plays S in the pro's around 220-225 and he seems to be a good in the box type of SS. The truth is too that ND is about worthless when it comes to the front 4 this year, but their passing defense is top notch and some of that credit certainly has to go to Bruton. Then again I might think he'd be a better FS on a better team because ND has no pressure on the QB's forcing them to make bad passes he could pick off. So maybe in all reality he could be a top notch FS or SS in the pro's. I hope he gets an all-star game invite, I think playing with a competant passrush will finally bring his abilities out.

In the Pitt game he was everywhere usually the only guy stopping LeSean McCoy.

From what I've seen of Bruton I'd love to have him playing next to Kerry Rhodes for the Jets. He's absolutely all over the place for Notre Dame. Abram Elam's been solid so we may stick with him but we could certainly upgrade the position and Bruton fits the bill there. The Jets also seem to fit the situation you described for Bruton pretty well.

11-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Bruton is the definition of a center field prospect. I think it's about time he gets some much deserved attention as a third - fourth type with the ability to continue his move up draft boards in the next little while.

ccB
11-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Grady Sizemore

Adam Jones > Grady Sizemore

SenorGato
11-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Adam Jones > Grady Sizemore

Carlos Beltran > Both of them.

Courtney Greene would have had my vote before, but he's really been invisible this year. I liked him alot last year...

Borat
11-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Aaron Rowand is better than none of them.

Smokey Joe
11-22-2008, 03:13 PM
SenorGato has it correcto... Carlos Beltran is the best centerfielder in baseball.

The baseball centerfielders in the senior class for football however is Rashad Johnson.

Staubach12
11-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Eric Berry is a Sophomore big sexy.

Ah my bad. Big sexy. And fellow Cashvillean.

renegade
11-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm going to have to say it is Rashad Johnson. He isn't much of a player against the run but in pass defense he is in a class of his own. He reads the field like a veteran and has great closing speed and then to add to that he as good hands and can return those picks for 6 at will it seems. However like I said he is bad against the run my main example of this is the Kentucky game where Dicky Lyons Jr. split the safties and then Rashad Johnson tried to tackle him but Lyons who is not a big guy by any stretch (5'11" 193) dragged him 4-5 yards into the end zone. But, he is the best centerfielder in the draft.

Vox Populi
11-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Taylor Mays without a doubt. Has USC ever been scored on a deep TD pass? He might not be a playmaker, but you don't get deep past him and the SC defense. You have to grind them to beat them. Mays will never be a real in the box safety though. He is basically kind of a crappier hitting version of Landry IMO.

edit. basically, he is the reason why Ellison makes all the plays in the box and can get away with it.