PDA

View Full Version : Jarret Johnson

EdReedUnstoppable
03-03-2007, 01:13 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2786311

EWE!!!! This infuriates me more than anything!!! We friggin gave Johnson $13 mil for 3 years??????!!!!!! EWE!!!!!!!!

EWE!

YouNeverKnow
03-03-2007, 01:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2786311

EWE!!!! This infuriates me more than anything!!! We friggin gave Johnson $13 mil for 3 years??????!!!!!! EWE!!!!!!!!

EWE!

I am happy to have him back, but that is too much for a player who is a backup LB/DE. The only way that is a good deal is if Ozzie expects him to be our starting OLB. I would have much rather had Mughelli at 3M a year then Johnson at 4.33 M a year.

Yung Flippa
03-03-2007, 01:25 AM
JJ is A Good Player
But I Think That Is A Little High
For A Back-Up

niel89
03-03-2007, 04:36 AM
im glad he is atleast comming back. he and dan cody should compete well to fill AD spot.

jkpigskin
03-03-2007, 07:05 AM
not reallly as high on JJ as i once was... we def overspent

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Wow if we are willing to throw crazy money on a backup like this and we don't resign Pashos or Ovie and we cut Jamal, makes you wonder why we didn't lock up Adalius.

ccB
03-03-2007, 10:10 AM
I think we paid him that much because he will be the starter next year. I dont think theres anyway Dan Cody starts over him.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2007, 10:17 AM
I think we paid him that much because he will be the starter next year. I dont think theres anyway Dan Cody starts over him.

I think Jarrett Johnson sucks and never understood why everyone here loves him so much, we will all see he will really downgrade our defense considerably. He is very slow doesn't take on blocks like you would like and is not good in coverage. Realiable backup sure, but starter on a top defense in the NFL, heck no.

ChefMike
03-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Why all the hate on JJ ?? we still have over 8 million in cap room for this year and I am sure we will restructure someone to get that down...I don't see us making Jamal a part of this team though after this...I think JJ will do just find platooning with Dan Cody and a rookie that we get in the 3rd or 4th rd.. very hard working guy... and he did well on special teams just like AD did when he was starting out...

Ravens1991
03-03-2007, 10:09 PM
that is a lot of $.

America
03-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Too much. It had better be loaded with incentives. I never liked JJ as a starter, he seems to be the all around backup. Unlike Thomas when he was unknown, he doesn't have the athletic ability to explode into a great player. But we'll see.

dcarey20
03-04-2007, 03:03 PM
no way ERU....has you seen the type of money that guys are going for now?

7 years, 49 mil for derrick dockery.

wes welker will probably go to the patriots for 5 million bucks a year. 3 years 13 million is a fine deal.

ovie mughelli is the highest paid fullback in NBA history.

i love JJ and rex ryan will find some way to use him to is full potential. he will be a force on our D. you heard it from me.

Bohleive
03-04-2007, 03:04 PM
I think Jarrett Johnson sucks and never understood why everyone here loves him so much, we will all see he will really downgrade our defense considerably. He is very slow doesn't take on blocks like you would like and is not good in coverage. Realiable backup sure, but starter on a top defense in the NFL, heck no.

This is based on what? JJ is a very underrated young player. The guy can do everything, just like AD. He's solid in coverage, he's great against the run, he's versatile and people don't realize how good a passrusher he is. The reason Cody didn't see the field this season was JJ's ability to rush the passer. He didn't get a lot of sacks but if you watch film he consistently got pressure and was one of our best players in this regard. The guy could be ready to take the next step and our FO would know better than us. Seriously, go back and watch the film. I know most of you are basing your disapointment off of the fact that you wanted a better passrusher, but this guy is good and improving all the time. Give him a shot. I for one am very happy we retained him and realistically speaking the only guy I wanted to retain more was Pashos, mainly from a standpoint that Pashos would've allowed us to be more flexible in the draft and given us continuity on the line.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-04-2007, 06:06 PM
I dont care what the top OG got on the market, we still drastically overpaid for a guy who is a good rotation guy, he is not a starter.

Bohleive
03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
we still drastically overpaid for a guy who is a good rotation guy, he is not a starter.

How do you know he's not a starter? He's never really got the chance. If you're projecting this, I think I just made a pretty good case above for him being just that. I expected somebody like SF or Cle to pay JJ a lot more than we did.

RaVeNFaNaCtIc
03-05-2007, 06:46 PM
this probably garuntees he will be the starter next season or will split tyme with Dan Cody

ccB
03-05-2007, 08:00 PM
You know before AD started people probably would have said all this stuff about him. He cant play olb hes a DE. Hes good depth guy but not a starter. I trust in our front office they havent let me down too much in the past(on defense that is)

America
03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
You know before AD started people probably would have said all this stuff about him. He cant play olb hes a DE. Hes good depth guy but not a starter. I trust in our front office they havent let me down too much in the past(on defense that is)

With Thomas it was different. He didn't have a true position but he had insane skills. He's an insane athlete. Johnson is a mediocre athlete.

America
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
baltimoreravens.com is reporting Johnsons deal is for 6 years. If it is over 22 million, then I will be unhappy.

Bohleive
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
With Thomas it was different. He didn't have a true position but he had insane skills. He's an insane athlete. Johnson is a mediocre athlete.
Athlete part yea, skills part no. AD was terrible in coverage when he started out, so much so that we switched him from 3-4 OLB to 3-4 DE, and his passrush skills have never been stellar either, he mainly gets by with speed and strength. The guy never had more than 8 sacks before Pryce came along and Scott emerged as a blitzer, even while playing with Suggs on the other side. JJ now he's a little different, great skills, good athlete (wouldn't say mediocre, cause to make the transition to OLB at his size, especially as successfully as he did, you have to have some athleticism) as opposed to good skills (eventually) great athlete.