PDA

View Full Version : Top Possession WR's

BuckDawg23
11-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Who are some of the top possession WR's in the draft outside of the 1st round and mainly Crabtree.

CantStopGregJones
11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Aaron Kelly WR Clemson is going to be a steal for someone. Everyone wanted to hype James Davis, C.J. Spiller, Cullen Harper and Ricky Sapp all pre season, but the fact has always been Aaron Kelly is the best player on that team. He's so underrated its a crime. No 1st rounder, but he's closer than those others.

AkiliSmith
11-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Aaron Kelly WR Clemson is going to be a steal for someone. Everyone wanted to hype James Davis, C.J. Spiller, Cullen Harper and Ricky Sapp all pre season, but the fact has always been Aaron Kelly is the best player on that team. He's so underrated its a crime. No 1st rounder, but he's closer than those others.
Spiller and Davis are a lot better prosects

regoob2
11-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Crabtree
Kenny Britt
Robiskie
DHB
Brandon Gibson

derza222
11-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Crabtree
Kenny Britt
Robiskie
DHB
Brandon Gibson

Not so sure I'd classify Britt and DHB as possession guys. Just because they're big doesn't really mean they fit into the category, especially Heyward-Bey.

Ozzy
11-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I am going to say this right now, with how Crabtree looked against OU, he did not look like a possession WR at all. He appeared weak, actually seemed to shy away from physical contact. Yes he is a jump ball receiver and has great ball skills. But surprisingly he gets catches because of his speed for his size, his jumping ability, his great hands and his route running. Not his physical toughness. When one says possession receiver I think of a guy like Burress, a big strong physical receiver. That is not Crabtree from what I have seen.

Possession receivers to me are big strong guys who are tall, do not have great speed but can make catches in traffic and take a hit are guys like...in no real order

Patrick Turner USC
Brandon LaFell LSU
DJ Boldin Wake
Taurus Johnson USF
Darius Hill Ball State
Eric Decker Minnesota

Jonny
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Crabtree
Kenny Britt
Robiskie
DHB
Brandon Gibson

Crabtree, Britt, and DHB are not possession WRs at all.

Smokey Joe
11-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Ramses Barden. The guy is a stud and gonna be a steal for some team in the middle rounds.

Staubach12
11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Patrick Turner most definitely comes to mind. His stock is really hurt by Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett, though. Especially considering he wasn't as productive as they were.

regoob2
11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Crabtree, Britt, and DHB are not possession WRs at all.
How so? What can other posession receivers do that they can't?

regoob2
11-24-2008, 05:11 PM
I am going to say this right now, with how Crabtree looked against OU, he did not look like a possession WR at all. He appeared weak, actually seemed to shy away from physical contact. Yes he is a jump ball receiver and has great ball skills. But surprisingly he gets catches because of his speed for his size, his jumping ability, his great hands and his route running. Not his physical toughness. When one says possession receiver I think of a guy like Burress, a big strong physical receiver. That is not Crabtree from what I have seen.

Possession receivers to me are big strong guys who are tall, do not have great speed but can make catches in traffic and take a hit are guys like...in no real order

Patrick Turner USC
Brandon LaFell LSU
DJ Boldin Wake
Taurus Johnson USF
Darius Hill Ball State
Eric Decker Minnesota
Why do they have to be tall and slow?

regoob2
11-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Not so sure I'd classify Britt and DHB as possession guys. Just because they're big doesn't really mean they fit into the category, especially Heyward-Bey.
They're not just posession receivers they are complete WRs but they are still great posession receivers.

Ozzy
11-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Why do they have to be tall and slow?That is how I define it personally. If they were a complete receiver who could do it all, you would not categorize them as a "possession" receiver. You would categorize them just as a great receiver, when you say possession, at least in my book I view them as a big guy who can use his body to get catches in traffic. Not a receiver that is going to run by people on every play.

SuperKevin
11-24-2008, 05:19 PM
How so? What can other posession receivers do that they can't?

Usually you break WRS into two categories

Possession WRs: The guy you go to on 3rd down to pick up the first. Usually runs excellent routes and has the strength to go over the middle and take hits from linebackers.

and

Big Play WRs: The guy who's a treat to score every time you give him the ball. Usually targeted more on 1st and 2nd downs when you can take the risk down field.

DHB clearly fits in the second category while Britt is a little bit of both.

PACKmanN
11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Juaquin Iglesias has the be top 3.

regoob2
11-24-2008, 05:36 PM

Possession WRs: The guy you go to on 3rd down to pick up the first. Usually runs excellent routes and has the strength to go over the middle and take hits from linebackers.

and

Big Play WRs: The guy who's a treat to score every time you give him the ball. Usually targeted more on 1st and 2nd downs when you can take the risk down field.

Britt is a posession WR in the pros. He's 6'4 220 and doesnt run a 4.4 and is very physical. I.E. Posession WR.

regoob2
11-24-2008, 05:37 PM

and

Id say 3 posession, deep threat, and complete. If your a complete then your also a posession.

On Yo Beezy
11-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Sherman, from Stanford. Played with his brother. If he didn't pick Stanford he'd be in the elite range.

Giantsfan1080
11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Britt is a complete WR. He can go over the middle to make the catch if you need him too but he can also stretch the field for a big play.

regoob2
11-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Britt is a complete WR. He can go over the middle to make the catch if you need him too but he can also stretch the field for a big play.If I had to choose Id say a 6-4, 220lbs, physical and not very fast WR would fall more towards posession than deep threat.

Giantsfan1080
11-24-2008, 06:19 PM
If I had to choose Id say a 6-4, 220lbs, physical and not very fast WR would fall more towards posession than deep threat.

He'll probably run a 4.4 at the combine. He's fast enough for a deep threat.

Turtlepower
11-24-2008, 06:24 PM
How many white wide receivers have been mentioned so far in this thread? They are always the first mentioned.

Giantsfan1080
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
How many white wide receivers have been mentioned so far in this thread? They are always the first mentioned.

Well Jordan Shipley's name hasn't come up yet thats for sure. He'll be known as the poor man's Wes Welker untill the upcoming draft.

regoob2
11-24-2008, 06:33 PM
He'll probably run a 4.4 at the combine. He's fast enough for a deep threat.
No he wont.

Halsey
11-24-2008, 06:35 PM
No love for Mohamed Massaquoi? Whaz up wit dat?

Giantsfan1080
11-24-2008, 06:37 PM
No he wont.

Ran a 4.5 coming out of high school. Looks faster to me now than he did 3 years ago. I meant somewhere in the 4.4's not exactly a 4.40 on the button.

regoob2
11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Ran a 4.5 coming out of high school. Looks faster to me now than he did 3 years ago. I meant somewhere in the 4.4's not exactly a 4.40 on the button.
i know what you meant but I dont see 4.49. I see mid to low 4.5s. Same difference I guess.

STARHEATHER
11-24-2008, 06:48 PM
michael crabtree

illmatic74
11-24-2008, 06:49 PM
michael crabtreeHe is good.

STARHEATHER
11-24-2008, 07:11 PM
hes the best possession receiver available

princefielder28
11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Jarett Dillard

Jonny
11-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Britt is a posession WR in the pros. He's 6'4 220 and doesnt run a 4.4 and is very physical. I.E. Posession WR.

No he isn't, and Britt isn't used as a possession WR in college. Keyshawn was a flanker, so is Britt in the pros.

ElectricEye
11-25-2008, 12:50 AM
I don't know. Britt looks a lot faster than 4.5 to me and I'm not just talking about game speed. He's capable of doing some possession wide receiver stuff with his frame and all, but he's a much more complete player than that. He should have plays of 20 yards or more pretty routinely in the pros.

I wouldn't exactly call Crabtree a possession receiver either. He's got more of an all around game. He should be big time with the YAC as well, not all possession guys have that skill.

DHB, forget about it. The kid is all speed. Absolute deep threat.

fenikz
11-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Dicky Lyons Jr

Runs great routes has great hands and is a excellent blocker, had a real bad knee injury though

regoob2
11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
No he isn't, and Britt isn't used as a possession WR in college. Keyshawn was a flanker, so is Britt in the pros.How can a flanker not be a posession WR? Keyshawn was a deep threat? Every good receiver is a deep threat in college.

regoob2
11-25-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't know. Britt looks a lot faster than 4.5 to me and I'm not just talking about game speed. He's capable of doing some possession wide receiver stuff with his frame and all, but he's a much more complete player than that. He should have plays of 20 yards or more pretty routinely in the pros.

I wouldn't exactly call Crabtree a possession receiver either. He's got more of an all around game. He should be big time with the YAC as well, not all possession guys have that skill.

DHB, forget about it. The kid is all speed. Absolute deep threat.I agree that Britt is a complete WR but I think he'll be more of a posession WR in the pros.

ljk2171
11-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Nick Moore of Toledo can be a good possession receiver at the next level, not as a starter, but a 3rd down receiver who works underneath and the intermediate routes down the sideline. Deon Butler of Penn State is another guy who will be a later pick, but has great hands and will be a slot receiever in the NFL, not neccesarily a "possession" guy, but one who manages to pick-up a few 5-6 yard outs for a first down and can also stretch the field some.

Jonny
11-25-2008, 09:39 AM
How can a flanker not be a posession WR? Keyshawn was a deep threat? Every good receiver is a deep threat in college.

Because the definition of Flanker = deep threat, not a possession WR? Split ends are possession receivers.

No, every WR is not a deep threat in college. Steve Smith (Giants), Domenick Goodman, Housh, Hines Ward etc... come to mind.

You are simply not making this judgment on scouting. I've seen every snap Britt has ever taken, he is not a possession WR and I haven't read any serious scouting report calling him anything other than a deep threat in the NFL.

regoob2
11-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Because the definition of Flanker = deep threat, not a possession WR? Split ends are possession receivers.

No, every WR is not a deep threat in college. Steve Smith (Giants), Domenick Goodman, Housh, Hines Ward etc... come to mind.

You are simply not making this judgment on scouting. I've seen every snap Britt has ever taken, he is not a possession WR and I haven't read any serious scouting report calling him anything other than a deep threat in the NFL.
No that's not the definition of a flanker. If Britt has to be a flanker that's not a good thing. He is a better split end in the NFL.

SKim172
11-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I dunno, I wouldn't label Britt a possession receiver myself. For me, a possession receiver is a guy who foremost has sure hands and can catch the ball anywhere near his body, and second, is an excellent route runner. Third, they have to be tough enough to take a big hit and still hold on to the ball. Size is a big plus, but not necessarily definitive of the position.

Britt, though I hate to say it, doesn't have the surest hands. He's been inconsistent and a lot of Rutgers' worst games the past three years saw more than one crucial Kenny Britt drop. He's been used more as a deep threat than a middle route guy at RU. For RU, the possession guy has been Tiquan Underwood - he's usually the guy going across the middle on third downs. He's got reliable hands and is quick enough to gain yards after the catch, but not fast enough to burn them deep.

The burner has been Tim Brown, who's absolute pure speed - drops half the balls that come him and he's the shortest guy on the team, but damn can he fly.

But yeah, I wouldn't say Britt is a possession guy.

Jonny
11-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Nah, Britt has fine hands, the drops are Teel's fault.

All I can say is that anyone who thinks Britt is a possession WR isn't watching him regularly, because that's not his game at all. He gets downfield and makes plays.

Jughead10
11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Nah, Britt has fine hands, the drops are Teel's fault.

All I can say is that anyone who thinks Britt is a possession WR isn't watching him regularly, because that's not his game at all. He gets downfield and makes plays.

Britt gets the dropsies. I agree he isn't a possesion receiver, he can and will stretch the field.

Zyro_1014
11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Patrick Turner most definitely comes to mind. His stock is really hurt by Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett, though. Especially considering he wasn't as productive as they were.

i think that his production being down might be the thing that helps him. Everyone knew Jarrett was special but when he ran as slow as he did it dropped his stock a ton.

Now if Turner can run decent and do well at his pro day/combine that only way he can go is up.

STARHEATHER
11-25-2008, 10:24 PM
im not sure why im not seeing any love for mike crabtree

CashmoneyDrew
11-25-2008, 10:26 PM
im not sure why im not seeing any love for mike crabtree

Because the main poster said WR's other than Crabtree.

STARHEATHER
11-25-2008, 10:28 PM
i muswt not have read that. but he is the best possession receiver. heres another nice tidbit on crabtree. not 6 3 as advertised. same height as graham harrell

CashmoneyDrew
11-25-2008, 11:02 PM
i muswt not have read that. but he is the best possession receiver. heres another nice tidbit on crabtree. not 6 3 as advertised. same height as graham harrell

Probably 6'2 which is still good size. Most college players are listed about an inch taller than they really are.

SenorGato
11-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Kenny Britt is so not a possession WR.

Then again, if by possession WR you guys mean someone who can consistently get you a first down by being a GOOD WR...then sure.

illmatic74
11-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Kenny Britt is so not a possession WR.

Then again, if by possession WR you guys mean someone who can consistently get you a first down by being a GOOD WR...then sure.Possesion WR has become a back handed compliment that is know viewed as a bad thing. Like a game manager for the QB position. I don't get it.

SenorGato
11-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Possesion WR has become a back handed compliment that is know viewed as a bad thing. Like a game manager for the QB position. I don't get it.

Cynical age...

If the possession WR was called "guy with good hands who catches the ball when it's thrown to him, especially quick, short passes"....well then people would stop labeling players stupid things like possession WR and game managers.

STARHEATHER
11-26-2008, 10:08 PM
jordan shipley. decent speed. value added kills. dont have to waste a high pick

etk
11-29-2008, 08:11 PM
jordan shipley. decent speed. value added kills. dont have to waste a high pick

Possession receivers are ones that catch first downs and get very little YAC, like Ike Hilliard.

Jordan Shipley is the exact opposite. He's an explosive athlete who can stretch the seam or catch short passes and get major yards after the catch. His speed is more than decent (ask the OU coverage teams) and I think he will be drafted much higher than you think. If Jordyzzz could be the 2nd WR drafted....

If you wanna stereotype some white possession receivers, say Eric Decker or someone else. I personally like Jamarko Simmons as a possession WR.

urinemonkey
11-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Patrick Turner and Mohammed Massoquoi are two that come to mind. They are tall, highly touted out of HS, and could be had late into Day 2.

Zyro_1014
11-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Patrick Turner and Mohammed Massoquoi are two that come to mind. They are tall, highly touted out of HS, and could be had late into Day 2.

I see Turner going up maybe late 2nd possibly? just because the only way he could go is up.

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2008, 08:37 PM
I see Turner going up maybe late 2nd possibly? just because the only way he could go is up.

Not that high. Especially after the underclassmen declare. More like 4th or 5th probably.

SuperKevin
11-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Best thing for Turner is to go in like the 4th to avoid the bust labels given to the previous big bodied USC WRs

themaninblack
11-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Dominick Goodman from Cincinnati is a great possession receiver. I think he could really be a nice late round addition for some team.

STARHEATHER
11-29-2008, 11:16 PM
i still think thats crabtree but now that hes hurt again like hes been in every game. i ust wonder how the fannies are going to react when someone uses a top 10 pick on him and he has to miss games and series and he hobbles off the field hurt. when the only time he gets open is on hitch routes and bubble screens and crossing patterns when he gets a free release. that to me says posession receiver.

LonghornsLegend
11-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Jordan Shipley most definately, also alot more athletic then people realize until he runs at the combines.

regoob2
11-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Jordan Shipley most definately, also alot more athletic then people realize until he runs at the combines.
Shipley is a slot WR. Most slot receivers are possession WRs, but I dont think that's what he intended when we made this thread.

LonghornsLegend
11-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Shipley is a slot WR. Most slot receivers are possession WRs, but I dont think that's what he intended when we made this thread.

Why not? I didn't see him say anything about big, tall slow WR's who can catch well, he just said possession WR's and sometimes those guys are slot WR's our outside WR's...I think Wes Welker and Mushin Muhammed are both possesion WR's even though they are completely different.

regoob2
11-30-2008, 01:30 AM
Why not? I didn't see him say anything about big, tall slow WR's who can catch well, he just said possession WR's and sometimes those guys are slot WR's our outside WR's...I think Wes Welker and Mushin Muhammed are both possesion WR's even though they are completely different.I agree but there complete opposites.

Staubach12
11-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Not that high. Especially after the underclassmen declare. More like 4th or 5th probably.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Being compared to Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett is not good, especially when you don't even have that type of production.

georgiafan
11-30-2008, 01:05 PM
With his recent play I think Massaquoi has improved his stock to atleast the 2nd tier of possession WR's.

holt_bruce81
11-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Tommy Saunders baby. Always gets those key 3rd down conversions for Missouri.

Menardo75
11-30-2008, 04:40 PM
It's about time for some Kerry Meir love on here. Every time I see Kansas play all I see is him making catches in traffic and making plays. The does not even practice WR and he might be even better than Briscoe. He will probably be a mid-late round pick. With some coaching up though he could be a very very good NFL WR.

etk
11-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Dominick Goodman from Cincinnati is a great possession receiver. I think he could really be a nice late round addition for some team.

Yeah, not sure why he's not on Scott's rankings.

It's about time for some Kerry Meir love on here. Every time I see Kansas play all I see is him making catches in traffic and making plays. The does not even practice WR and he might be even better than Briscoe. He will probably be a mid-late round pick. With some coaching up though he could be a very very good NFL WR.

He seems so natural playing WR....it just creeps me out that it's not his true position. Meier would struggle to get separation against NFL LBs, let alone CBs....but he'd be great against zone teams.

Menardo75
12-01-2008, 12:09 AM

He seems so natural playing WR....it just creeps me out that it's not his true position. Meier would struggle to get separation against NFL LBs, let alone CBs....but he'd be great against zone teams.

He is one of those guys you hate to doubt though.

etk
12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
He is one of those guys you hate to doubt though.

Yeah, and at this point he still has some added bulk that he could drop to become more explosive. That or move to H-Back.

Zyro_1014
12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, and at this point he still has some added bulk that he could drop to become more explosive. That or move to H-Back.

well he should add some good trick play possibilities ;)

jared
12-01-2008, 11:46 PM

I agree with everything you said. I agree he doesn't look very fast though I do think being a big guy usually gives that illusion. I mean, if he's just a big slow piece of crap, how is he getting open all the time? Surely Big12 teams must be game-planning against a team's leading receiver...Anyway, he's only a junior so barring an injury to Reesing, he has another year to improve his stock. Though it would be curious to see what kind of prospect he'd be if he were able to fully dedicate himself mentally and physically to the WR position. The way he's taken to it so well is kind of creepy. He's always looked so disinterested when I've seen him.

SenorGato
12-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Iglesias reminds me of Gonzalez.

etk
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with everything you said. I agree he doesn't look very fast though I do think being a big guy usually gives that illusion. I mean, if he's just a big slow piece of crap, how is he getting open all the time? Surely Big12 teams must be game-planning against a team's leading receiver...Anyway, he's only a junior so barring an injury to Reesing, he has another year to improve his stock. Though it would be curious to see what kind of prospect he'd be if he were able to fully dedicate himself mentally and physically to the WR position. The way he's taken to it so well is kind of creepy. He's always looked so disinterested when I've seen him.

That's the question I keep asking myself....why he is always open and how does a former QB run such smooth routes and always come down with the ball in traffic?

I hate to go the JordyZZ route but from an intangibles perspective he's a lot like Anquan Boldin...a really good HS QB at Pahokee.

Woody56
12-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Quan Cosby is a very solid possession guy that will likely be taken in round 5 or so

Menardo75
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM

He also has pedigree in the NFL. His brother Chad was a TE for a few years and started, so that will also help his case.

DreamDraft04
12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
I got 2 TRUE possession WR's for you because Jordan Shipley, iIMO, is not a possession guy because the dude is lightning fast. In HS he ran a 10.4 100 meter dash. He reminds me more of Anthony Gonzalez from Indy.

Anyway, Jordan Norwood from Penn State, not very big and doesnt have 4.3 speed, but the dude runs great routes and cathces the ball! Derrick Williams makes all the highlights for the the Nittany Lions, but it is Norwood who keeps the chains moving, and he has his entire career. Second, I like Nick moore from toledo, he has a big frame and runs good routes with good hands. Once again, not a burner buit the guy does his job, i think he will get into the league and turn some heads with his consistency, just as his older brother Lance moore did.

Pokeys
12-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't think Kenny Britt is going to come out. Another year at Rutger will do him good.