PDA

View Full Version : Worst FA move?

49ersfan_87
03-03-2007, 02:15 AM
Right now, id say its langston walker. He is crap and he got a 5 year 25 mil deal...

Shiver
03-03-2007, 02:17 AM
Michael Lewis, 10$ Million guaranteed. He was benched last year for Sean Considine. Even when he made the Pro-Bowl, it was one of those 'how did he deserve that?' bids. At best, he is mediocre.

Windy
03-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Langston Walker

5 Years 25 Million (10 Million Dollar Signing Bonus)

I like Langston and I wish him well but that contract is outrageous.

703SKINS202
03-03-2007, 02:45 AM
The saints not wanting Horn back, just completely classless after all that he did for that city and team. No way would they have gone as far as they did without his leadership. Dont know why Payton had such a problem with him locker-rooms need men like that.

KCJ58
03-03-2007, 02:48 AM
Fletcher is over the Hill bad contract

OzTitan
03-03-2007, 03:25 AM
They're all, as expected, over paid moves, but Walker is a total head scratcher, may as well have kept Mike Williams.

JoeMontainya
03-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Is Mike Williams a FA? Surprised his name isnt floating around.

holyschmidt
03-03-2007, 03:38 AM
That fullback Atlanta signed, whatever his name is.

niel89
03-03-2007, 04:16 AM
That fullback Atlanta signed, whatever his name is.

Ovie Mughelli. he is really good but they over paid.

OzTitan
03-03-2007, 04:18 AM
Is Mike Williams a FA? Surprised his name isnt floating around.

He was last offseason and was signed by the Jags (and I am, of course, refering to the OT Mike Williams the Bills drafted a few years ago and not the Lions WR :)).

rocco31fb
03-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Langston Walker will do well in Buffalo. You can stamp that as a guarentee.

Oakland sucks and everyone that goes there will do, and has done, poorly.

McBain
03-03-2007, 05:41 AM

Derrick Burgess.

Smooth Criminal
03-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Lewis is the most overpaid player of the year. He played horrible last year and got a pro bowl bid just cause of his reputation.

OzTitan
03-03-2007, 07:49 AM

Well, it would be a complete 180. He's played terribly soft for as long as I can remember and was constantly getting beat at RT. As I said, he's basically a Mike Williams clone who didn't get drafted early.

NIN1984
03-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Yeah Walker by far, Bills fans have no idea how bad he is.

but Dockery was a good pick up for Buffalo.

Splat
03-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Pitt cutting Joey Porter was pretty bad.

weezer1195
03-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Walker is awful. He is one of those players who passes the eyeball test but once he gets on the field just sucks it up. Deff a horrible move.

21ST
03-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Its gotta be walker, he is just sorry all together

Number 10
03-03-2007, 09:30 AM

Why? Because he plays for your favorite team?

Number 10
03-03-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm gonna go with Lewis getting $10 million in guaranteed. He has looked terrible the past couple years.

Ace
03-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Why? Because he plays for your favorite team?

Pretty much. Suddenly he is a good player now that the Bills signed him. Walker sucks and will always suck. Bills fan just trying to make an excuse for him. That is all.

ricky bobby
03-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Clements. 80 mil??

bernbabybern820
03-03-2007, 09:57 AM
the contract is backloaded. Consider it a 4 year deal. i dont know for how much.

Space Ghost
03-03-2007, 09:59 AM
It is definitely what we gave Langston Walker, that is terrible, unless of course he somehow turns into a pro-bowl player in Buffalo for some reason. Even scarier is that he might end up at guard and be paid that much cash.

BigDawg819
03-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I've got to go with the amount of money these mid-tier free agents are being paid. This kind of free spending is reminds me of baseball monopoly money spending is bound to cause headaches down the road. I mean Steve Hutchinson got a huge contract and yet some complained that it was too much, and now Dockery is making more then him? Nate Clements is getting QB type of money? How did he become worth more then Champ Bailey and Chris McAlister? Ovie Mughelli is now worth more then Lorenzo Neal, and after a half year as the starting fullback? Also its mind boggling that money is getting tossed around willy nilly and we're not complaining about Daniel Snyder as the one responsible? It is a strange time to be a football fan...

Eagles own the NFC East
03-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Langston Walker and Michael Lewis.

bills_red
03-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Derrick Dockery- $49mill 7 years $18.5 Million in guaranteed money
Langston Walker- $25mill 5 years
Nate Clements- $80mill 8 years $22 Million guaranteed money

SuperMcGee
03-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Walker was just ridiculous. Last thing I want to do is just hand him a starting gig and give him good starter money.

Chucky
03-03-2007, 10:40 AM
i dont understand why dockery is getting paid hutchinson money, and becuase of that that is the worst deal

yourfavestoner
03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
We're seeing "market value" being completely re-written. With all the extra money teams have now, it's like they really don't care how much they spend on a player, as long as they get him.

It'll be a huge problem once player contracts escalate to the point where small market teams can no longer compete for players' services.

princefielder28
03-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Atleast since they went to the Super Bowl

myinnerself
03-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Dockery isn't a bad player, but that contract was completely absurd. Steinbach is better and he didn't even come close to deserving that much money, and Dockery got just as much. Unbelievable.

CC.SD
03-03-2007, 11:38 AM
We're seeing "market value" being completely re-written. With all the extra money teams have now, it's like they really don't care how much they spend on a player, as long as they get him.

It'll be a huge problem once player contracts escalate to the point where small market teams can no longer compete for players' services.

if there weren't a cap. these teams are just shooting themselves in the face down the line when they want to resign their players who are actually good.

ccB
03-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I've got to go with the amount of money these mid-tier free agents are being paid. This kind of free spending is reminds me of baseball monopoly money spending is bound to cause headaches down the road. I mean Steve Hutchinson got a huge contract and yet some complained that it was too much, and now Dockery is making more then him? Nate Clements is getting QB type of money? How did he become worth more then Champ Bailey and Chris McAlister? Ovie Mughelli is now worth more then Lorenzo Neal, and after a half year as the starting fullback? Also its mind boggling that money is getting tossed around willy nilly and we're not complaining about Daniel Snyder as the one responsible? It is a strange time to be a football fan...

Amen, Its getting really crazy.

yourfavestoner
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
if there weren't a cap. these teams are just shooting themselves in the face down the line when they want to resign their players who are actually good.

Well, yeah, but that pretty much goes without saying. That's been a problem with free agency since its inception.

As long as the salary cap keeps rising proportionally with player contracts (which it should), then staying under the cap shouldn't be big deal for any teams anymore. The big deal is figuring out how the small market teams, who often make $100 million less in profit than some of the large market teams can't pony up the money to even sign their own players, let alone other free agents.

Larry
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
We're only day into free agency and there's already a discussion on worst FA signings.

weezer1195
03-03-2007, 12:02 PM
"Langston Walker will do well in Buffalo. You can stamp that as a guarentee."

Based on what? Anyone can make a blanket statement guaranteeing whatever pops into their head. Noone will even remember your guarantee in a week from now and by week 5 of the regular season you'll be calling for his head.

rainbeaukid2
03-03-2007, 12:07 PM
just so you guys know, the clements deal is totally backloaded. there is an option in the sixth year so the deal is more like

6 years $44 million

Vikes99ej
03-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Michael Lewis.

Addict
03-03-2007, 12:34 PM
just so you guys know, the clements deal is totally backloaded. there is an option in the sixth year so the deal is more like

6 years $44 million

that's less overwhelming. Still. His Madden value just went down a very steep hill. :P

Grizzlegom
03-03-2007, 01:02 PM

yea im sick of the yankees and red sox getting every......

o wait we are talking about the NFL?? the money being spent on second tier guys is ridiculous. you could get a tackle in the third round that has more upside than langston walker and would probably be a better starter as a rookie and would be $20 million cheaper...

Auron
03-03-2007, 01:06 PM
The saints not wanting Horn back, just completely classless after all that he did for that city and team. No way would they have gone as far as they did without his leadership. Dont know why Payton had such a problem with him locker-rooms need men like that.
What was classless was Horn slamming the organization when he left...

losing a 34 year old WR, who struggled with injuries the past 2 seasons, and whose production was declining is not a huge loss...

he wasn't the emotional leader people make him out to be.

draftguru151
03-03-2007, 01:08 PM
People need to realize how much the contracts actually are. The players won't see most of that money. Just like when all the rookies got HUGE contracts last year they weren't really that big because that is the most money they can see, but they won't get see most of it. The deals are pretty crazy because of the signing bonuses but they aren't anywhere near as bad as people are making it seem.

ripdw27
03-03-2007, 01:10 PM
hmm there were some pretty terrible moves, let me start with the cuts. Joe Horn shouldnt have been cut and i think it will affect the saints, marques colston cant do everything by himself. i also think joey porter getting cut was a stupid move, they couldve cut hines ward and signed maybe donte stallworth or somn like that, on that note the pats shouldve went after joey porter over at, even though at may be the most versatile defender in the league. the worst signings so far are nate clements, he is good but 80 MILLION dollars? thats a bit much... champ bailey is only getting what 50-60 million and clements is not even an elite corner like champ is. im not sure if its 100% true, but the bucs signing jeff garcia AND trading for plummer is ridiculous, the only way i will let them live this down is if they get calvin johnson in the 1st and troy smith later.

on a positive note, the BEST FA move would probably be eric steinbach to cleveland. im not sure what the exact contract was, but the browns have a lot of cap and are really turning in to an all pro OL (l.bentley and e. steinbach). lets hope he isnt lost in training camp... I also like the aggresiveness of my team, the broncos. getting dre' bly is gonna be huge, and dan wilkinson was big. even if dan wilkinson is only situational he will have an impact.

yourfavestoner
03-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Thank you, DG. Anybody remember the Nate Burleson deal last year?

EddieRoyalVT4
03-03-2007, 01:20 PM
"he wasn't the emotional leader people make him out to be."

If you were the offensive playmaker for most of your career, when the team was bad, and then one year everyone gets better but you and younger guys outperform you at your position...plus the team has possibly its best year ever, how are you going to feel? Especially when they end up cutting you after that.

Horn was essentially kicked off the team he produced for for many years, and now he'll sit back as they win for probably the next few years. He'll be forgotten, and when it comes down to it I don't know how anyone could expect a receiver to have any real heart.

Auron
03-03-2007, 01:21 PM
hmm there were some pretty terrible moves, let me start with the cuts. Joe Horn shouldnt have been cut and i think it will affect the saints, marques colston cant do everything by himself. impact.

Again, Horn asked to be cut..he didn't want to be a Saint anymore.

Why was it a bad move? he missed 6 games pretty much 7 with injury, and wasn't healthy enough to play in the playoffs at all. His best years are behind him.

Colston isn't the only receiver on the roster.

DeathbyStat
03-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Derrick Dockery- $49mill 7 years $18.5 Million in guaranteed money
Langston Walker- $25mill 5 years
Nate Clements- $80mill 8 years $22 Million guaranteed money

Add Steinbach and All the guards that are getting Hutchinson money, because of this I don't think the steelers can resign Faneca next year. This sucks

BuffaloDraftGeek
03-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Langston Walker

5 Years 25 Million (10 Million Dollar Signing Bonus)

I like Langston and I wish him well but that contract is outrageous.
No... 10 million is guarenteed, signing bonus has not been released, but its probably in the 2 million range....

TACKLE
03-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I'd have to say the Bucs trading to get Jake Plummer then signing Jeff Garcia. This doesn't make any sense at all especially b/c they resigned Chris Simms. ???????????

BuckNaked
03-03-2007, 03:30 PM
hmm there were some pretty terrible moves, let me start with the cuts. Joe Horn shouldnt have been cut and i think it will affect the saints, marques colston cant do everything by himself.

You do realize they have Devery Henderson and Terrance Cooper, right?

Auron
03-03-2007, 03:37 PM
You do realize they have Devery Henderson and Terrance Cooper, right?

Reggie Bush can also be split out wide as a receiver, part of why his versatility is so valuable to the team.

Crazy_Chris
03-03-2007, 03:46 PM
And Devery henderson and Terrence Copper were no good before last year, they two and Colston Could all be flukes you never know... i have to agree that i was shocked by the release of joe horn when that franchise was horrid and was losing all the time he was the face of that franchise he could have easily left to go to a better team but he didnt and now they cut him? i dont get it why sean payton wouldnt want him back they could rework his contract or work something out but why would you not try everything in your power to keep someone who meant so much to that orgnization for soooooo many years??

JT Jag
03-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm just saying, that it's not a bad thing to do a happydance because the guy we brought in to be our new right tackle cost half as much as the other guys who are being signed, but has performed just as good as any of them in the last two years.

Auron
03-03-2007, 04:14 PM
And Devery henderson and Terrence Copper were no good before last year, they two and Colston Could all be flukes you never know... i have to agree that i was shocked by the release of joe horn when that franchise was horrid and was losing all the time he was the face of that franchise he could have easily left to go to a better team but he didnt and now they cut him? i dont get it why sean payton wouldnt want him back they could rework his contract or work something out but why would you not try everything in your power to keep someone who meant so much to that orgnization for soooooo many years??

The Saints wanted him back but they wanted him to restructure his contract, he was making far too much money for his age and he spent a lot of this season on the sidelines. He wasn't healthy enough to play in the playoffs either.

Horn's ego got too big, and he didn't fit in with Payton's philosophy of "Team first players". He challenged the authority of his Head coach. Which is why he is gone, a lot of other players that challenge their coach would be gone as well.

asmitty45
03-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I think the worst one so far had to be resigning McBriar for so much money, the 'Boys havent had much luck with high priced Special teamers as of late so im afraid hes gonna blow out his knee next year

Poet3334
03-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Amen to that. Great post. In a few years, some of these teams will be scrambling to save whatever they can because of these contracts. The extra cap helps now, but at some point you have to learn fiscal responsibility.