PDA

View Full Version : Teams that need QBs

Babylon
11-24-2008, 02:52 PM
My top 7 would be:

Detroit, these guys have failed on just about every QB they've had there since Geg Landry back in the 70s. I would be inclined to go further back in the archives to Bobby Lane but nobody in here would know what i was talking about.

KC., The Tyler Thigpen era looks dead if it was ever alive to start with.

Carolina, Jake Delhomme is going to be 34 in January and while his accuracy is still ok i think it's time to look to something that can get them over the top, i don't think it's him

Seattle, Matt Hasselbeck is the opposite of a physical marvel, he's had just about every ailment you can imagine and he just turned 33 which is ok for some but not for him.

Tampa Bay, I guess they proved you can win it all with a Brad Johnson but i don't think Garcia is even in that league so may be time to pull the trigger there, they arguably have everything esle in place.

Minnesota, I just hope if they do go for a signal caller they can get the pick up to the podium on time. In a division full of mediocre (being kind) QBs theirs is probably the worst.

Miami, Does anyone think that Chad Pennington is the answer? End of story.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't think that the Chiefs give up on Thigpen simply because he threw some picks against Buffalo. Whether they want an insurance policy in the 2nd round or later is a conversation, but I'm not sure I see a QB in the first.

I have no idea how much the Panthers like Matt Moore. Probably enough to only look for a quarterback in the 3rd round or later.

Gruden drafted Josh Johnson this past April, and unless he's been absolutely horrible, I don't see them going for another passer until really late in the draft, if at all.

Same deal with Miami. Unless Chad Henne has forced the staff to lose all faith, they won't be looking for a QB in the first 4 or 5 rounds either.

GB12
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
San Francisco

diabsoule
11-24-2008, 03:05 PM
My top 7 would be:

Detroit, these guys have failed on just about every QB they've had there since Geg Landry back in the 70s. I would be inclined to go further back in the archives to Bobby Lane but nobody in here would know what i was talking about.

KC., The Tyler Thigpen era looks dead if it was ever alive to start with.

Carolina, Jake Delhomme is going to be 34 in January and while his accuracy is still ok i think it's time to look to something that can get them over the top, i don't think it's him

Seattle, Matt Hasselbeck is the opposite of a physical marvel, he's had just about every ailment you can imagine and he just turned 33 which is ok for some but not for him.

Tampa Bay, I guess they proved you can win it all with a Brad Johnson but i don't think Garcia is even in that league so may be time to pull the trigger there, they arguably have everything esle in place.

Minnesota, I just hope if they do go for a signal caller they can get the pick up to the podium on time. In a division full of mediocre (being kind) QBs theirs is probably the worst.

Sure, all of those teams do need QB's but I think at least two will settle their QB problem in FA.

Minnesota I think is a great place for Matt Cassell. I've went into depth about that in the NFL thread so I won't reiterate what I had written there here.

I have also talked about how I think Tampa Bay would be a great fit for McNabb. The reason I say McNabb is that he is due an outrageous bonus this year and with the way he's played so far, I can definitely see him getting cut.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-24-2008, 03:15 PM
The reason I say McNabb is that he is due an outrageous bonus this year and with the way he's played so far, I can definitely see him getting cut.

Maybe this isn't the place for this discussion, but I don't understand this. He has a QB rating of 80+ on the year, and he certainly hasn't been the only part of that team's collapse the past two weeks. Hell, three weeks ago he threw 3 TD's against the Giants. Maybe the Eagles really like Kolb, but do they really need to cut a guy who hasn't been all that bad for them this year?

AkiliSmith
11-24-2008, 03:29 PM
My list:
1. Detroit
2. San Francisco
3. Minnesota
4. Seattle
5. St. Louis
6. Carolina
7. Kansas City
8. Cardinals
9. Jets

I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts drafted a quarterback anytime after round 2 to develop for when Peyton retires in a few years.

Babylon
11-24-2008, 03:44 PM
San Francisco

Absolutely and St Louis may also be a sleeper in there. I guess the question with a lot of the teams i mentioned that actually have good records is do they trade up in the draft.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Absolutely and St Louis may also be a sleeper in there. I guess the question with a lot of the teams i mentioned that actually have good records is do they trade up in the draft.

Past the first two rounds, most of the probably won't need to trade up unless they have their heart set on one guy and they're sure he'll be gone by their pick.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-24-2008, 03:54 PM
If Philly lets go of Donovan which is very possible honestly I don't think much of Kevin Kolbh at all.

GB12
11-24-2008, 03:56 PM
If Philly lets go of Donovan which is very possible honestly I don't think much of Kevin Kolbh at all.
If they let go of McNabb, then they do think enough of Kolb though.

Turtlepower
11-24-2008, 03:57 PM
I think the Colts might be in the market for a QB. Sorgi can't carry this team forever.

wicket
11-24-2008, 03:58 PM
My list:
1 Detroit
They need someone at almost every position but starting with a qb would be nice, since they seem to be a lock for the first overall pick they have their shot in the draft.
2 Kansas City
Tyler Thigpen for me ensures that if they are gonna get a qb this offseason they'll take a first rounder or a high-ceiling-developemental kinda guy. Thigpen is good enough to ease the guy in without getting stuck behind him.
3 Minnesota
Gus Frerotte isnt the answer, I think this has Cassel written all over them.
4 San Fransisco
The other place i might see cassel ending up. If Bradford and Stafford declare they are prolly gone when SF picks so although they dont want to they'll gave to work another angle prolly.
5 St. Louis
Could on recent form beat KC to the pick of Stafford/Bradford, assuming both come out early which I'm not sure about at all.
6 Seattle
I think Hasselbeck will be servicable for about two more seasons after this at most so they dont need someone who can step in right away in my mind, I'd like them drafting Freeman or Nate Davis or Dan LeFevour or someone like that in the third.
7 Carolina
See Seattle with Hasselbeck= Delhomme
8 NY Jets
I think they might give clemens another shot but not sure entirely.
9 Eagles
If Kolb supposed to be the sucessor to McNabb? prolly not.
10 Cowboys
We have all whitnessed what happens when Romo's out, they dont want that again.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
If they let go of McNabb, then they do think enough of Kolb though.

Or they are just trying to save a ton of money and restart the franchise with a new look.

abaddon41_80
11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
With the way Shaun Hill is playing, and Alex Smith possibly renegotiating his contract to stay next year, the 49ers are probably not going to draft a quarterback high in the draft. They will probably take someone in one of the mid-rounds to develop though.

The Dynasty
11-24-2008, 04:08 PM

Oh come on we havent done that since what 2003 or 2004 lol.

I would agree with you with the mediocre of the NFC North QB's and how bad the vikings are. We defiantly need a QB but I dont know if there will be one in the 1st when we select even if its mid 1st. It looks like that If Stafford/Bradford come out they will be top 10. So do we wait till 2nd round to take a QB or go FA...I dont know but We do need on bad.

Babylon
11-24-2008, 04:13 PM
My list:
1 Detroit
They need someone at almost every position but starting with a qb would be nice, since they seem to be a lock for the first overall pick they have their shot in the draft.
2 Kansas City
Tyler Thigpen for me ensures that if they are gonna get a qb this offseason they'll take a first rounder or a high-ceiling-developemental kinda guy. Thigpen is good enough to ease the guy in without getting stuck behind him.
3 Minnesota
Gus Frerotte isnt the answer, I think this has Cassel written all over them.
4 San Fransisco
The other place i might see cassel ending up. If Bradford and Stafford declare they are prolly gone when SF picks so although they dont want to they'll gave to work another angle prolly.
5 St. Louis
Could on recent form beat KC to the pick of Stafford/Bradford, assuming both come out early which I'm not sure about at all.
6 Seattle
I think Hasselbeck will be servicable for about two more seasons after this at most so they dont need someone who can step in right away in my mind, I'd like them drafting Freeman or Nate Davis or Dan LeFevour or someone like that in the third.
7 Carolina
See Seattle with Hasselbeck= Delhomme
8 NY Jets
I think they might give clemens another shot but not sure entirely.
9 Eagles
If Kolb supposed to be the sucessor to McNabb? prolly not.
10 Cowboys
We have all whitnessed what happens when Romo's out, they dont want that again.

That's 10 picks and i don't disagree with most of your points. To me this begs the question why won't we see a rash of underclassmen come out? Guys like
Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman and even Colt McCoy (Matt Stafford is a given) could see an opening to strike while the iron is hot.

HawkeyeFan
11-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Saint Louis Rams

Babylon
11-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Oh come on we havent done that since what 2003 or 2004 lol.

I would agree with you with the mediocre of the NFC North QB's and how bad the vikings are. We defiantly need a QB but I dont know if there will be one in the 1st when we select even if its mid 1st. It looks like that If Stafford/Bradford come out they will be top 10. So do we wait till 2nd round to take a QB or go FA...I dont know but We do need on bad.

You know they'll never live down the late pick drama.:)

I think guys who could be available would probably be in no particular order;

Matt Cassel- Free Agency
Mark Sanchez-Round 1
Colt McCoy- Round 2
Rhett Bomar- Round 3

Habibi
11-24-2008, 04:30 PM
1- Detroit
2- San Francisco
3- Minnesota

grushcow
11-29-2008, 10:05 PM
My top 7 would be:

Look at the numbers genious, and we just drafted chad henne and he showed flashes in preseason.

Babylon
11-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Look at the numbers genious, and we just drafted chad henne and he showed flashes in preseason.

I'm for giving Henne a chance, Pennington is a stiff. Ok genius.

ninerjohn
11-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Detroit - obiously the team with greatest need for QB. Bradford will be there if he comes out

SF - Shaun Hill is NOT the answer. Stafford could be there unless.....

STL - doesnt take him first... Bulger is just hurt too much

Minn - needs a QB badly. They wont be able to get the top 2 - but Davis could be a guy they look at at end of 1st rd

KC - could use a QB but I think they like Thigpen enough to not take a QB in rd 1. Look for Andre Smith to be their pick

Seattle.. a sleeper for a QB although I think Crabtree makes more sense for them. They need a #1 WR

Carolina.. I agree they need a QB for the future. Davis is possibilty for them too

sbh15
11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
FTR, Carolina is not in love with Matt Moore. At all.

Race for the Heisman
11-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Chicago will probably take one mid-late depending on value. Orton has played well and Hanie will be the number two after the Sex Cannon departs, but getting a veteran to be the number two or drafting another guy to groom is very much a possibility.

Another team might be the Patriots. O'Connell looked okay in pre-season but the pre-season is the pre-season. My guess is they go free agency, but Brady will be coming off a series of surgeries and Cassell is likely to be hot ****.

I don't see Tampa getting one barring some kind of exodus. What they would need is an immediate starter (McNabb?) assuming Garcia leaves, because they have their QB to groom in that guy from San Diego (Josh Johnson?).

Babylon
11-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Chicago will probably take one mid-late depending on value. Orton has played well and Hanie will be the number two after the Sex Cannon departs, but getting a veteran to be the number two or drafting another guy to groom is very much a possibility.

Another team might be the Patriots. O'Connell looked okay in pre-season but the pre-season is the pre-season. My guess is they go free agency, but Brady will be coming off a series of surgeries and Cassell is likely to be hot ****.

I don't see Tampa getting one barring some kind of exodus. What they would need is an immediate starter (McNabb?) assuming Garcia leaves, because they have their QB to groom in that guy from San Diego (Josh Johnson?).

You may be right about Tampa Bay although a certain friend of mine on here (Bruce Wayne) and i are predicting they trade up to draft Stafford. Those things are almost impossible to predict though in this era of dollars and sense (or lack there of).

saintsfan912
11-30-2008, 12:04 PM
We could use a project backup for Drew. I hate having Mark Brunell and Joey ******* Harrington backing him up.