PDA

View Full Version : Saints Offseason Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Sveen
02-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Post all Free Agent Signings,Rumors, Releases, & Re-Signings here!

The Saints might not be able to afford cornerback Nate Clements or linebacker Adalius Thomas, two of the premier defensive free agents. But they said they will explore the possibilities. Other options they will likely pursue include linebacker Donnie Edwards and cornerback Nick Harper.

Source: http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/117238926732060.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

UtepMiner
02-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Eh I'm not too high on Harper, simply because he is 33 and has mostly played in a Cover 2 Scheme these past few years in Indy.

I feel like Edwards even despite his age, or London Fletcher even would be solid upgrades in the middle that would bolster the Defense.

Free agency is approaching in a few days so we'll see who they go after.

diabsoule
02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Eh I'm not too high on Harper, simply because he is 33 and has mostly played in a Cover 2 Scheme these past few years in Indy.

I feel like Edwards even despite his age, or London Fletcher even would be solid upgrades in the middle that would bolster the Defense.

Free agency is approaching in a few days so we'll see who they go after.

I agree with you, man. I'd rather us go after a young, promising guy in FA or draft a few good guys.

bucknut12
02-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Fletcher stays hurt.

Edwards productivity has not declined as his age has gone up.

UtepMiner
02-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Fletcher stays hurt.

Edwards productivity has not declined as his age has gone up.

I don't believe Fletcher has ever had injury problems. He's played all 16 games of the season every year of his career, and amassed 130+ tackles for the past 5 seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12371

I don't think it matters though, rumor is that the Redskins already have a deal in place for him once free agency starts.

diabsoule
02-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't believe Fletcher has ever had injury problems. He's played all 16 games of the season every year of his career, and amassed 130+ tackles for the past 5 seasons.

I don't think it matters though, rumor is that the Redskins already have a deal in place for him once free agency starts.

That doesn't suprise me. If we get Edwards then that will be a big help but I don't think that diminishes our need for another LB, it only pushes it down until about Round 3 instead of Round 1.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-26-2007, 12:05 AM
That doesn't suprise me. If we get Edwards then that will be a big help but I don't think that diminishes our need for another LB, it only pushes it down until about Round 3 instead of Round 1.

I know I'm not in the majority here, but I don't know if we need to go after Donnie Edwards. He's no spring chicken, and I feel like we can always draft a better replacement for Mark Simoneau in the Draft.

DeangeloHall4President
02-26-2007, 12:36 AM
I think in the first round we should go with the Best Defensive player available, unless we get a steal on the offensive side of the ball at WR or Olsen (if he continues to impress). With his 40 time and his hands being as good as they are he might be considered if there is no defensive player worth the pick

Acreboy
02-26-2007, 07:38 AM

The Redskins have a deal with everyone once FA starts...

Sveen
02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
I think in the first round we should go with the Best Defensive player available, unless we get a steal on the offensive side of the ball at WR or Olsen (if he continues to impress).
I can almost agree with that. I'd like to see us taking the best LB/DB/DT available in the 1st round, but if we could get a steal in a WR or TE that would be good too.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
02-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Old and old. And not much of an upgrade, either.

Either we bring in young players to develop and let play, or we bring in veterans who would be an upgrade over what we have now. I'm not sure either of those guys would be an upgrade at this point in their careers.

Flyboy
02-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Old and old. And not much of an upgrade, either.

Either we bring in young players to develop and let play, or we bring in veterans who would be an upgrade over what we have now. I'm not sure either of those guys would be an upgrade at this point in their careers.

Right. Donnie Edwards' 100+ tackles a year wouldn't help our defense out at ALL.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
02-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Right. Donnie Edwards' 100+ tackles a year wouldn't help our defense out at ALL.

Danny Clark's sure didn't.

Auron
02-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Danny Clark's sure didn't.
Well for some reason the staff was reluctant to give him major playing time, probably because he was never fully up to date on the Defensive calls until after training camp. I'd still like to see him re-signed (for cheap)he was good in goal line situations and would be an excellent back up.

With that said either Edwards, or Fletcher are far superior to Mark Simoneau, and would be good for 2-3 years.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
02-26-2007, 12:51 PM
With that said either Edwards, or Fletcher are far superior to Mark Simoneau, and would be good for 2-3 years.

Hmm, not really. I'm starting to think that a few of you judge linebackers based on one thing, and one thing only: tackles. To say that Edwards and Fletcher are far superior to Simoneau is simply not true at this point in their careers. Simoneau was serviceable, not great for us. It would likely be the same story with Edwards and Fletcher. We need a guy in the middle who is preferably no older than 30, with decent speed, and with good coverage ability as well as run-stuffing. But most of all, we need a guy who is NOT on the downside of their career. At this point, Edwards or Fletcher instead of Simoneau wouldn't make much of a significant difference AT ALL. I'd actually feel much better moving Shanle inside.

Auron
02-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I think you're looking too much into age, I don't like signing aging veterans either, but these guys are consistent veterans who have playing at a high level despite of age.

Simoneau was the weak link on the LB corps this year, he was able to get players aligned and make the calls but he lacks sideline to sideline speed, often times the other LBs got to ball carriers before him. He often times took a false step in the wrong direction and bit on misdirection, which in turn opened up running lanes for opposing backs. When Hollis Thomas was drawing double teams he still failed to make plays.

Compare Edwards', and Fletcher's production over the past 3 years and you can see why people think it is decent upgrade at the position.

Donnie Edwards
Year G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Pass Def
'04 16 150 104.0 46 1 5 8
'05 16 152 112.0 40 3 2 9
'06 16 141 97.0 44 2.5 3 4

London Fletcher
'04 16 142 92.0 50 3.5 0 3
'05 16 157 104.0 53 4 1 2
'06 16 146 104.0 42 2 4 7

Mark Simoneau
'04 14 48 33.0 15 1.5 0 0 1
'05 16 36 27.0 9 0 0 0 2
'06 16 61 33.0 28 1 1 0 0

noticeable difference, Fletcher, and Edwards have been consistent highly productive starters, while Simoneau has been a backup who was able to be a serviceable starter for a year.

diabsoule
02-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Hmm, not really. I'm starting to think that a few of you judge linebackers based on one thing, and one thing only: tackles. To say that Edwards and Fletcher are far superior to Simoneau is simply not true at this point in their careers. Simoneau was serviceable, not great for us. It would likely be the same story with Edwards and Fletcher. We need a guy in the middle who is preferably no older than 30, with decent speed, and with good coverage ability as well as run-stuffing. But most of all, we need a guy who is NOT on the downside of their career. At this point, Edwards or Fletcher instead of Simoneau wouldn't make much of a significant difference AT ALL. I'd actually feel much better moving Shanle inside.

I think someone then would be Kawika Mitchell. He's 28, used to be a Will backer so he can cover, he can hit and be a run stuffer, and played in the highly competitive AFC West. If we can sign him then we could still draft a backer.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
02-26-2007, 03:52 PM
I think someone then would be Kawika Mitchell. He's 28, used to be a Will backer so he can cover, he can hit and be a run stuffer, and played in the highly competitive AFC West. If we can sign him then we could still draft a backer.

I think I said that Mitchell wouldn't be much of an upgrade in another thread, but quite honestly I don't know that much about him. If what you say is true, he would be a fine signing. I've heard bad things about him though, such as never lived up to his potential.

Saints67
02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
to a 4 year contract.....

per ESPN-News...

Saints Dome Patrol
02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
to a 4 year contract.....

per ESPN.

I think I speak for the majority of Saints fans on here when I say...

THANK GOD! :D

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
02-26-2007, 05:48 PM
"Between bonuses and base salary, Thomas, 33, will earn $6 million in 2007 on a deal that totals $12 million."

Well, we overpaid.

Auron
02-26-2007, 06:06 PM
"Between bonuses and base salary, Thomas, 33, will earn $6 million in 2007 on a deal that totals $12 million."

Well, we overpaid.
That is true, but in free agency you almost have to overpay a little to get your guys. I'll have to see the contract details. Maybe the deal is front loaded, so that the majority of the cash is in the first year.

Actually I'm surprised, hearing Hollis earlier this week it seemed like he almost certain to leave. I think maybe we didn't want to have another glaring need at DT, when we already have holes at CB, and MLB.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
02-26-2007, 06:10 PM
That is true, but in free agency you almost have to overpay a little to get your guys. I'll have to see the contract details. Maybe the deal is front loaded, so that the majority of the cash is in the first year.

Actually I'm surprised, hearing Hollis earlier this week it seemed like he almost certain to leave. I think maybe we didn't want to have another glaring need at DT, when we already have holes at CB, and MLB.

I believe the contract is front loaded. $6 million out of a total of $12 million comes in the first year. Which is why we overpaid.

Auron
02-26-2007, 06:20 PM
I believe the contract is front loaded. $6 million out of a total of $12 million comes in the first year. Which is why we overpaid.

Yeah. Well if he ever experiences a major drop off after this year the Saints can cut him with little, to no penalty.

In the end I think this deal will be ok, there's going to be a lot of inflated contracts this off-season with the increased cap space around the league.

Now Mickey can focus his attention to working things out with Grant, and negotiating with Stinchcomb.

diabsoule
02-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I think we had to overpay him a little but now we have our main run stuffer back. I'm hoping we can still land someone like DT Ian Scott to help out the rotation. Here's hoping too that we can sign someone like Rod Hood as well.

reznola
02-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I think we overpaid for a 32 year old DT when there is some much talent at the DT in the middle rounds of this draft and the Saints have numerous picks in those rounds. I hope they still draft someone like a Paul Soliai out of Utah in the 4th to get started in the rotation this year or sign someone the likes of Ian Scott. I really liked with Gibbs did with the 4 DT rotation last year, you just have to make sure your 3rd and 4th defensive tackle or a huge dropoff from the 1st and 2nd.

Flyboy
02-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Linky: http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3337

diabsoule
02-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I think that's good news. I liked the way he played last year. He seemed reliable in the passing game and looked to be a decent blocker.

Flyboy
02-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah, he wasn't bad at all. I always liked him ever since he was a Texan. Only thing that kills me about him is the penalties that he tends to get that kills drives.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, now, it seems that with Billy Miller re-signed to an extenstion, we can look to the middle rounds of the Draft to get another tight end especially since we don't know if Mark Campbell will be healthy and I think that Ernie Conwell's days in New Orleans are running low.

Just my opinion...

reznola
02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
I agree with you dome patrol, the middle rounds you might be able to steal a very good TE in this draft especially looking at some of the small school guys.

I think Campbell will stay around for his blocking ability and I don't see Conwell making the team next year. Two year he has been struggling to stay healthy, and his hands I think have been a question mark since he got here and Payton needs a TE who is going to catch the ball since Brees loving throwing to the TE.

Saints Dome Patrol
02-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, now, it seems that with Billy Miller re-signed to an extenstion, we can look to the middle rounds of the Draft to get another tight end especially since we don't know if Mark Campbell will be healthy and I think that Ernie Conwell's days in New Orleans are running low.

Just my opinion...

Ernie Conwell was just cut per. John Clayton. Even though we already re-signed Billy Miller I think this opens up a need for a starting TE.

Saints | Conwell released
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:00:29 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the New Orleans Saints have released TE Ernie Conwell.

I'm going to work on my big board, for possible picks at #27.

Wow! Can I call them or can I call them? :)

Saints67
02-28-2007, 06:26 PM
right now on NFL Network, Adam Shefter has reported...that the saints are 1 of 3 teams vying for Bly's services....

the trade should come down in the next 24-48 hours.

boy oh boy, i hope we can get him.

Auron
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Sounds interesting... I wonder what the final offers are going to be for him.

Did he mention who the other 2 teams were..? I'm presuming Denver was one of them as they were rumored to be interested before.

Saints67
02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Denver and the Redskins...

Saints67
02-28-2007, 06:35 PM
good news on both events...

i wanted Miller back for depth, and he provided a spark near the end of the season... and in the post-season....

Conwell, is a nice guy but he has always been hurt.

BiggerFoot
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
I would not mind getting Olsen if there is no real value for a defensive pick

Flyboy
02-28-2007, 07:31 PM
I would do it for a 4th rounder we got from KC.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
02-28-2007, 08:10 PM
I would do it for a 4th rounder we got from KC.

I'd go so far as to send two out of our three fourth rounders to Detroit. Bly would be a nice addition.

Flyboy
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't send two -- just one.

diabsoule
03-01-2007, 04:13 AM
I don't know what the big deal is about Bly. His skills have been diminishing and he's not a shutdown corner.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-01-2007, 04:17 AM
Personally, I'd rather not get Dre Bly... maybe I'm one of the few, but I think that we'd be better suited either a.) getting a young free agent or b.) drafting a cornerback come April.

Flyboy
03-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Personally, I'd rather not get Dre Bly... maybe I'm one of the few, but I think that we'd be better suited either a.) getting a young free agent or b.) drafting a cornerback come April.

I don't think it would be too bad depending on what's given up to get him. Trade a 4th for him and still maybe even draft a CB in the first round. Then, our corners would be McKenzie/Bly/(rookie of maybe Houston/Revis/Ross for Nickel). I think that would be pretty damn ideal.

reznola
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
The times picayune wrote, "The Lions reportedly are seeking something in the range of a third-round draft pick, plus a player." I think that would be too much to give up for an CB at his age, but he was a great man to man corner and that is what the Saints are looking for. I like the idea of going after Fred Smoot if he gets released from the Vikings today like many websites are reporting.

Flyboy
03-01-2007, 11:43 AM
If that's what they are requesting.. pfft. No deal.

diabsoule
03-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Lions and Broncos made a trade today. Dre Bly for Tatum Bell & George Foster. We are no longer in the hunt.

Now, maybe whenever a player whose name people recognizes shows up either in FA or is rumored to be seeking a trade, people might seem a little more realistic when it comes wanting them to go to N.O. I've seen it over and over, let's throw tons of dollars at someone to come down to N.O. no matter if he fits our scheme or not.

Flyboy
03-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't think everyone instantly attributes someone that wants a trade coming here. But, it was obvious that we were in the hunt for his services. Much like we were with Javon Walker last year.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
As per NewOrleansSaints.com:

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3339

Can't say it surprises me though, hopefully, we can re-sign him for less money.

Who Dat Nation
03-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Nor me i seen this one coming.

Any idea what we save on the cap?

Sveen
03-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Not surprising. I actually think we won't bring him back for less money either.

Flyboy
03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
The writing was on the wall, in my opinion. I don't think he'll come back either... good luck to you Joe!

reznola
03-01-2007, 05:30 PM
That was one of the cuts I expected, when does the other shoe drop on Fred Thomas, I mean come on, is there even a reason for him to take up a roster spot?

Joe was scheduled to make 5 million next year with a 1 million bonus set to come in soon and now makes WR somewhat of a need, but I think you can address that need in the draft as from what I read the FA wr group is weak.

Auron
03-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Well like you guys said, every Saints fan knew this day would come eventually. Joe is one of my emotional favorites, but his production was declining at his age. It wasn't his fault he got injured..but missing 6 regular season games and not being able to be healthy enough for the playoffs was really disappointing.

this will probably clear up some cap room. There is also a slight chance Joe is back with the Saints. (similar to Isaac Bruce being cut last year and re-signing with the Rams) he may find out his market value isn't as high as he thinks it is.

Bigbadbob72
03-01-2007, 11:39 PM
The saints have been my second favortie team for a while and I always loved Joe Horn. This makes me sad and I hope he comes back.

Sveen
03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
The Atlanta Falcons might be on the path to bolstering their maligned wide receiver unit and a void in veteran leadership on offense by acquiring free agent wide receiver Joe Horn, who was released by the New Orleans Saints earlier this week.

The Falcons and Horn's agent, Ralph Vitolo, entered into discussions just after the free-agency period started at 12:01 a.m. Friday, according to Vitolo. While contract talks have not been broached, the sides are trying to set up a visit for Horn so he can meet with the new coach Bobby Petrino and his staff, Vitolo said.

Source: http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/03/02/0303joehorn.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

Auron
03-02-2007, 03:25 PM
The saints have been my second favortie team for a while and I always loved Joe Horn. This makes me sad and I hope he comes back.

Well after Joe's recent comments, I'm almost sure he won't be back now..

HORN BLOWS UP AT SAINTS

Receiver Joe Horn is pissed off at his former team. So, although the Saints have seemingly left the door open to his potential return, it looks like it will be difficult if not impossible to get these two back together.

"Right now it's going around that [the Saints] wanted to restructure my contract and I asked to be released, but this has nothing to do with money," Horn told the Fayetteville (N.C.) Observer. "I wanted to retire as a Saint. I've been through hell and back for that city and that organization. If I wanted out of New Orleans that bad, I would have just kept my mouth shut and let them move the team to San Antonio.

“I just don’t think [head coach] Sean Payton wanted me back. I asked to be released because I felt betrayed by a head coach who wanted to prove he could win without Joe Horn.”

Horn cites the refusal of Payton to use Horn after he had recovered from an injury as the catalyst for the divorce.

wow...Joe really should've just taken the high road and left with class, instead of going off on this media tirade. :rolleyes:

Sveen
03-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Doesn't sound like he is coming back any time soon...

Sveen
03-03-2007, 05:10 AM
The Saints are scheduled to host free agents CB Ken Hamlin and LB Brian Simmons on Saturday.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Sveen
03-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Saints re-signed T Jon Stinchcomb to a two-year, $7 million contract.

The deal will pay him $5 million in 2007. The formerly injury-prone right tackle held up well last year, his fourth in the league. Still young, the 27-year-old Stinchcomb will have another shot at free agency in 2009. The Saints should now turn their efforts to adding quality cornerbacks.

Source: Rotoworld.com

Saints Dome Patrol
03-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Here's the ESPN.com stub:

Stinchcomb agrees to two-year, $7M deal with Saints (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2786610)

I'm really happy that the Saints re-signed Stinchcomb. I'll be honest, before the beginning of last season, I didn't know if he'd be able to come in and start in the NFL. But, he proved me wrong and I really thought he stepped it up big time last season. :)

Auron
03-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Good signing, I'm glad we're focussed on keeping our core players.

This will ensure continuity along the O-line. Also we have some good depth, Strief in case we need someone to fill in.

Sveen
03-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree. It's a good signing for us.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I know some Saints fans are big fans of offensive tackle Zach Strief, but I don't think he's ready just yet.

However, with the way his deal is set up, it works out for both sides, in my opinion. Stinchcomb gets a two year deal, makes his money, and then he becomes a free agent at the age of 29, with six years of experience, and hopefully by then, either Strief can step up and become the starter or we would have drafted a tackle to come in and take over.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-03-2007, 12:20 PM
As I said earlier, I don't know if I'm totally sold on Brian Simmons, since he has some injury concerns (but doesn't everyone) and he's not exactly a Spring chicken.

But as for Ken Hamlin, I think he'd definitely be an upgrade and we could use someone like him in our secondary. He's a cornerback/safety and a hard hitter, which something that we don't particularly have. I know that he himself has also had injury concerns but I think he's fully recovered.

We'll have to see, now with linebacker London Baker-Fletcher signing with Washington, our target list just got smaller.

Who else would you like to see us target in free agency?

diabsoule
03-03-2007, 02:06 PM
I wonder why we're bringing in a FS. Are we giving up on Bullocks?

diabsoule
03-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I like the re-signing of Stinch. I think him and Strief are going to compete over the starting job in camp and if no matter who wins, it means we will have good depth.

Stoopid512
03-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm not big on Simmons. Declining numbers with increasing age. Only 38 tackles and zero sacks last year. I'd pass on him.

Auron
03-03-2007, 03:03 PM

With Hamlin, Grant, and Kaesviharn coming in for visits. I think that means the coaching is staff is either.. just about done with Bullocks, or Harper's knee isn't progressing as well as hoped.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Ken Hamlin is a strong safety, so possibly (and I hope not), Roman Harper may not be completely healed up from his injury last season.

diabsoule
03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395977

Hamlin is listed as a FS. It is possible that he could play both positions. Plus he's only 26.

Sveen
03-04-2007, 01:44 PM
In addition to free agent safety Ken Hamlin, former 49ers defensive tackle Anthony Adams is scheduled to visit the Saints on Sunday

Auron
03-04-2007, 09:20 PM
First outside FA signing according to NFL Network Adam Schefter reported that the Saints and Bengals LB Brian Simmons are expected to agree to terms on Monday, March 5th.

waiting to find out what comes of this, maybe we'll add Hamlin, Kaesviharn, or Grant as well.

diabsoule
03-05-2007, 04:37 AM
I think that'd be a very nice signing as it would provide an upgrade at MLB over Mark Simoneau. I still think it is possible that we might go after Donnie Edwards as well since Brian Simmons can play OLB.

Sveen
03-05-2007, 06:36 AM
I would love to see us upgrading the positions at need in FA so that we can go after the BPA in the Draft :)

Brian Simmons and Ken Hamlin would be good signings.

reznola
03-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I like the idea of bring Hamlin in his age and experience is a plus, but don't like Simmons coming in. If you are going to bring in a MLB in his 30's you might as well bring in Edwards.

reznola
03-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't think Simmons is an upgrade over Simoneau, I think that is more of a lateral move. I really want to see them bring in Hamlin.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Source: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070304/BREAKINGNEWS/70304011/1028/SPORTS0202

"Safety Deon Grant and linebacker Chris Draft were the latest to be brought to New Orleans by the Saints, who also hosted linebacker Brian Simmons on Saturday and safety Ken Hamlin on Sunday.

Meanwhile, cornerback William James is due in on Tuesday, said his agent, Ron Slavin, who also negotiated lineman Hollis Thomas’ new four-year contract with the Saints."

I'm intrigued by James. He was a very solid corner for the Giants when he was healthy. Problem is, obviously, the health concerns. If we could sign him cheap, or to a contract that is heavily backloaded, I'd be all for bringing him in and giving him a shot. Will James in a wheelchair is a better option than Fred Thomas.

As for Draft, he's flying way under my radar. Didn't know all that much about him except that he's been in the NFC South forever, but take a look at his stats from last year: 109 tackles, 6 sacks, and 8 (8!) fumble recoveries. I always say stats aren't everything, but he seems like a guy who could possibly help improve our D.

Whaddaya think?

diabsoule
03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Saints | Kaesviharn visits team
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:03:03 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports free agent S Kevin Kaesviharn (Bengals) met with the New Orleans Saints Saturday, March 3, according to theredzone.org.

Auron
03-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Apparently former 49ers Tight End, Eric Johnson is scheduled for a visit on Tuesday. Interesting, he's had injury problems in the past but he's a reliable pass catcher when healthy.

The New Orleans Saints will host S Kevin Kaesviharn and TE Eric Johnson on Monday and Tuesday, the team announced this afternoon.

http://www.fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=352007ayt1302yt

- Also the latest rumor going around SaintsReport, is that Brian Simmons who we supposedly were going to agree to terms with, left town without a contract offer. It's unconfirmed so I would take it with a grain of salt.

vickblowsGoSaints
03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
I like Hamlin and that he brings experience to the team, but I think that Bullocks and Roman Harper could be a tandom together if given the chance. Simmons would totally help us though at MLB.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-06-2007, 02:01 AM
I like Hamlin and that he brings experience to the team, but I think that Bullocks and Roman Harper could be a tandom together if given the chance. Simmons would totally help us though at MLB.

Hey dude, welcome to the forum... and I love the name, by the way... :)

I agree that Ken Hamlin would be a great addition for this team, but what I wonder is if either Roman Harper hasn't fully recovered from his injuries or the Saints have given up on Josh Bullocks. Personally, I didn't like the pick of Bullocks or Harper to be honest, but both have been solid, even thought Harper really hasn't had the chance to shine yet.

As for the other free agents that have been brought in, I would not mind if the Saints got someone like TE Eric Johnson. We could use a solid pass-catching tight end, and I think that Johnson would be an upgrade in that department.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-06-2007, 02:22 AM
I don't think Simmons is an upgrade over Simoneau, I think that is more of a lateral move. I really want to see them bring in Hamlin.

I agree with you, but I did hear something on the local news that caught my attention.

According to the sports anchor, he's got great leadership and locker room presence, so that's good. :)

We'll have to see what happens, since no official source has anything reported. :confused:

Saints Dome Patrol
03-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Source: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070304/BREAKINGNEWS/70304011/1028/SPORTS0202

"Safety Deon Grant and linebacker Chris Draft were the latest to be brought to New Orleans by the Saints, who also hosted linebacker Brian Simmons on Saturday and safety Ken Hamlin on Sunday.

Meanwhile, cornerback William James is due in on Tuesday, said his agent, Ron Slavin, who also negotiated lineman Hollis Thomas’ new four-year contract with the Saints."

I'm intrigued by James. He was a very solid corner for the Giants when he was healthy. Problem is, obviously, the health concerns. If we could sign him cheap, or to a contract that is heavily backloaded, I'd be all for bringing him in and giving him a shot. Will James in a wheelchair is a better option than Fred Thomas.

As for Draft, he's flying way under my radar. Didn't know all that much about him except that he's been in the NFC South forever, but take a look at his stats from last year: 109 tackles, 6 sacks, and 8 (8!) fumble recoveries. I always say stats aren't everything, but he seems like a guy who could possibly help improve our D.

Whaddaya think?

William Petersen? You mean Gil Grissom would be one of our starting cornerbacks? :confused:

Well, even HE would be an upgrade over Fred Thomas! :(

Anyway, back to the topic.

I agree that William James would, if healthy, be a solid improvement over either Fred Thomas or Jason Craft. I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints or someone else takes a flier on him, since like you said, he can be a solid player (when healthy) and for us, he'd be an upgrade for our weak secondary.

With Chris Draft, I don't know if he's much of necessity, especially if the Saints did indeed sign Brian Simmons. But I do agree that his stats, if nothing else, are impressive.

vickblowsGoSaints
03-06-2007, 03:10 AM
I agree getting a good tight end would be a clutch move. I thought Boo Williams was going to work out untill he got injured and never came back. Someone like Johnson or Daniel Graham would give our offense another solid weapon.

Bullocks is a player who just needs to find consistantcy. He has showed good along with bad. Good thing about Bullocks though is he can play Free and strong safety if we we brought in Hamlin. Our defense is a free agent and a good draft pick away I think. Only other thing, I hope we look at travis Fisher. He's legit

vickblowsGoSaints
03-06-2007, 03:17 AM
It's a shame Joe is gone, but Colston and Henderson together could be deadly. Horn was getting old and it is clear that Payton is clearing out a lot of the old team, veterans included, and trying to start fresh. Deuce is still a good leader and it's obvious Reggie can bring some of that to the table as well. As long as Horn doesnt end up being a filthy Falcon

diabsoule
03-06-2007, 03:26 AM
I agree getting a good tight end would be a clutch move. I thought Boo Williams was going to work out untill he got injured and never came back. Someone like Johnson or Daniel Graham would give our offense another solid weapon.

Bullocks is a player who just needs to find consistantcy. He has showed good along with bad. Good thing about Bullocks though is he can play Free and strong safety if we we brought in Hamlin. Our defense is a free agent and a good draft pick away I think. Only other thing, I hope we look at travis Fisher. He's legit

I think it all depends which S is better in run support and which one is better in coverage. Right now I would say that Hamlin is better in coverage so I would play him at FS and move Bullocks to SS. This is all dependent on if we sign Hamlin, if not then we are just farting into the wind.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-06-2007, 03:51 AM
I think it all depends which S is better in run support and which one is better in coverage. Right now I would say that Hamlin is better in coverage so I would play him at FS and move Bullocks to SS. This is all dependent on if we sign Hamlin, if not then we are just farting into the wind.

Although one thing I really like about Hamlin is that he's a hard hitter, which is something that the Saints lack. I think that if we would be able to sign him, he could step in and start if Roman Harper isn't 100 percent and would be a definite improvement over Omar Stoutmire or Jay Bellamy.

Sveen
03-06-2007, 04:16 AM
I believe we have re-signed Terrance Copper to a one year deal.

Auron
03-06-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm guessing it'll be announced soon, but Brian Simmons on the Saints have officially come to terms on a 3 year deal.

Nola.com (http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1173165127150860.xml&coll=1)

The Saints made their first free-agent acquisition of the offseason when veteran linebacker Brian Simmons agreed to a three-year contract with the Saints, his agent Jerrold Colton said late Monday night.

Not a blockbuster move or anything, but I think it'll be a solid upgrade. Simmons brings another hardworking, veteran presence who can be a leader on Defense.

Stoopid512
03-06-2007, 08:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApXYEe8v9U8ZTLuhnLQFjNQ5nYcB?slug=saints simmons&prov=st&type=lgns

Three year deal, should be a good signing if he stays healthy.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-06-2007, 12:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApXYEe8v9U8ZTLuhnLQFjNQ5nYcB?slug=saints simmons&prov=st&type=lgns

Three year deal, should be a good signing if he stays healthy.

Welcome to NFLDC, Stoopid512!

It's always great to have another Saints fan on here! :D

diabsoule
03-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the site, Stoopid512!

Thanks for the information about the Brian Simmons signing.

Flyboy
03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Welcome aboard, Stoopid512.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-06-2007, 02:12 PM
As per ESPN.com and NewOrleansSaints.com:

Brian Simmons is now officially a New Orleans Saint.

Saints add to defense, agree with LB Simmons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2789305)
Saints agree to Terms with LB Brian Simmons (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3348)

So now, that it's a done deal, what do you think of the signing and who would you go after if you were the Saints' front office?

Saints Dome Patrol
03-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Even with the Simmons signing (which I'm warming up to), I still believe that we should still target another linebacker, whether it be in free agency or the Draft.

I know that the Draft is full of linebackers that could if nothing else provide depth, but we'll have to see what the Saints do now.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
As per ESPN.com and NewOrleansSaints.com:

Brian Simmons is now officially a New Orleans Saint.

Saints add to defense, agree with LB Simmons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2789305)
Saints agree to Terms with LB Brian Simmons (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3348)

So now, that it's a done deal, what do you think of the signing and who would you go after if you were the Saints' front office?

I think Simmons was a solid signing.

The more I think about it, the guy out there who could have the biggest defensive impact for us is Ken Hamlin. The only thing is I really like both Bullocks and Harper. Can Hamlin play cornerback, and how good would he be at corner?

I'd also like for us to give William James (Peterson) a one year deal, just to see if he could return to form.

Auron
03-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Here's a recap of all the Saints off-season moves. *Updated 4/22/07

Saints Off-Season
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/images/sectionbanner/img_header_news.jpg

Transactions
Re-signed (OLB) Scott Shanle. 4 yr/12 mil
Re-signed(DE) Charles Grant.
Re-signed (DT) Hollis Thomas. 4 yr/12 mil
Re-signed (TE) Billy Miller. 1 yr
Re-signed (OT) Jonathan Stinchcomb. 2 yr/7 mil
Tendered RFA's (WR) T. Copper & (DT) R. Leisle. 1 yr
Signed (LB) Brian Simmons (Bengals). 3 yr
Signed (TE) Eric Johnson (49ers). 1yr/2 mil
Signed (S) Kevin Kaesviharn (Bengals).
Re-signed (CB) Dejuan Groce.
Re-signed (WR) Terrance Copper.
Re-signed (S) Jay Bellamy.

Re-signed (DT) Rodney Leisle
Re-signed (DT) Antwan Lake.
Signed (WR) David Patten. (Redskins)
Signed (LB) Troy Evans. (Texans)
Signed (LB) Trev Faulk. (Rams)
Signed (CB) RFA, Jason David (Colts)

Trades
Acquired (K) Olindo Mare from Miami for a 6th round pick.

Releases & Departures
Released (TE) Ernie Conwell.
Released (WR) Joe Horn. (Falcons)
Released (K) John Carney.
Released (P) Mitch Berger

(S) Omar Stoutmire. (Redskins)
(LB) Danny Clark. (Texans)
(LB) Terrence Melton. (Panthers)
(CB) Curtis Deloatch. (Panthers)
(S) Bryan Scott. (Titans)
(OG) Montrae Holland (Broncos)

------
So far I'm loving the way this off-season has been going. We're keeping the main core of the team together, to ensure continuity, and chemistry. While still trying to make upgrades at need positions without blowing the bank and overpaying for overpriced players which would put us in a bad cap situation down the line.

Now it's time to improve the CB situation, sign a solid Safety, add D-line depth, and maybe find a starting TE.

Sveen
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
New Orleans is set to host free agent K Mike Vanderjagt on Wednesday.

Source: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/2007/03/saints_add_simmons_look_at_van.html

Kind of saw that one coming. Not so sure about signing him though. He could be great or he could be, well you know.

Auron
03-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Kind of saw that one coming. Not so sure about signing him though. He could be great or he could be, well you know.

Please Payton no. :( Don't sign this guy.. I've watched him kick last season he was just plain awful. Sailing chip shot field goals wide and he can't even kick off... heck at this point Carney is better then him

Saints Dome Patrol
03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Source: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/2007/03/saints_add_simmons_look_at_van.html

Please Payton no. :( Don't sign this guy.. I've watched him kick last season he was just plain awful. Sailing chip shot field goals wide and he can't even kick off... heck at this point Carney is better then him

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on Vanderjagt. I know that he was a solid kicker for several years, but I don't know, there's something about him that I'm not entirely sold on. I would like to think that the Saints re-sign Billy Cundiff and then either bring back Connor Hughes or get a kicker late in the draft or signing an undrafted free agent to compete for the starting job.

Saints67
03-06-2007, 06:30 PM
News, fresh from today!

Rumor: a guy on blackandgold.net, has reported that a SAFETY will be SIGNED tommorow and announced! this guy also reported that Vanderjagt will be visting us exactly on Tuesday...he reported this a WEEK BEFORE it happened...he seems legit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Johnson: His agent and Johnson himself, think he is a *perfect* fit with the Saints....encouraging that is!

link is here... http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/sports/16841654.htm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shefter (NFL Network), has reported that Dre' Bly wants to be traded from Denver...and that the Saints are trying to ACQUIRE him AGAIN!

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Shefter (NFL Network), has reported that Dre' Bly wants to be traded from Denver...and that the Saints are trying to ACQUIRE him AGAIN!

I've heard this too. I heard we offered a 4th rounder for him, which would not be bad, but the reason he wants out of Denver is because Washington offered him a new contract. I don't think we would do the same.

Auron
03-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on Vanderjagt. I know that he was a solid kicker for several years, but I don't know, there's something about him that I'm not entirely sold on. I would like to think that the Saints re-sign Billy Cundiff and then either bring back Connor Hughes or get a kicker late in the draft or signing an undrafted free agent to compete for the starting job.

Those are my feelings as well, Vanderjagt seemed to have lost all confidence last season..on his way toward being cut mid season to be replaced by Martin Gramatica.

I think a better option would be looking in the late rounds and at undrafted FA's to find a future kicker. Kickers like Robbie Gould went undrafted, Josh Brown was found in the 7th round.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Those are my feelings as well, Vanderjagt seemed to have lost all confidence last season..on his way toward being cut mid season to be replaced by Martin Gramatica.

I think a better option would be looking in the late rounds and at undrafted FA's to find a future kicker. Kickers like Robbie Gould went undrafted, Josh Brown was found in the 7th round.

I know that some mock drafts have us getting Colorado kicker Mason Crosby as early as the second or third round. I feel that this would be entirely too high for any kicker, especially since we still have needs at other positions that could be addressed. If he's available in the fourth round, then maybe I'd be okay with taking him, since we do have three fourth round selections, but not in day one.

Sveen
03-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Welcome to the board Stoopid512 and thanks for the info :)

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-07-2007, 11:41 AM
There's a Q&A with Simmons up on Neworleanssaints.com: http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3349

He comes off as a really good person, and a guy who could bring some leadership and focus to our defense.

mpt117
03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
just a quick question for all you guys...why are you guys looking at a safety in free agency when you guys has 2 young safetys in josh bullocks and roman harper? you have decent backups too with omar stoutmire and bryan scott, and special teamer steve gleason. just a question from an outside fan because second string LB Alfred Fincher is from my hometown and went to my high school and would really like to see him get a chance to play...he was supposed to start last year than simoneau took his spot after the trade which made me mad haha...

Auron
03-07-2007, 02:36 PM
just a quick question for all you guys...why are you guys looking at a safety in free agency when you guys has 2 young safetys in josh bullocks and roman harper? you have decent backups too with omar stoutmire and bryan scott, and special teamer steve gleason. just a question from an outside fan because second string LB Alfred Fincher is from my hometown and went to my high school and would really like to see him get a chance to play...he was supposed to start last year than simoneau took his spot after the trade which made me mad haha...

To answer your questions.

- We are looking for a safety primarily because Payton is a coach that believes NO one simply gets handed the starting spot. (like Haslett did) Everyone has to earn their roster spot, which is why he's bringing in competition. Josh Bullocks has talent, but he really played poorly last season at times last season biting on playaction fakes, and abandoning his deep zone to jump shorter routes. Harper looked to be a stud, but he's coming off ACL surgery and might not be completely ready.

Also both of our back up safeties Bellamy, and Stoutmire are Free agents and probably won't be returning.

- Fincher was mostly buried on the depth chart this season, and contributed on special teams. I think the signing of Simmons hurts his chances.

mpt117
03-07-2007, 02:58 PM
To answer your questions.

- We are looking for a safety primarily because Payton is a coach that believes NO one simply gets handed the starting spot. (like Haslett did) Everyone has to earn their roster spot, which is why he's bringing in competition. Josh Bullocks has talent, but he really played poorly last season at times last season biting on playaction fakes, and abandoning his deep zone to jump shorter routes. Harper looked to be a stud, but he's coming off ACL surgery and might not be completely ready.

Also both of our back up safeties Bellamy, and Stoutmire are Free agents and probably won't be returning.

- Fincher was mostly buried on the depth chart this season, and contributed on special teams. I think the signing of Simmons hurts his chances.

alright man thanks a lot for helpin me with me question

TigerBait45
03-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Bullocks and Harper do look really, really good, but a little depth can't hurt. Dion Grant or Ken Hamlin would be pretty nice additions to any team.

I'd also love it if Eric Johnson ended up in New Orleans. This guy is incredibly underrated, but was a consistent threat in San Francisco for a while.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Bullocks and Harper do look really, really good, but a little depth can't hurt. Dion Grant or Ken Hamlin would be pretty nice additions to any team.

I'd also love it if Eric Johnson ended up in New Orleans. This guy is incredibly underrated, but was a consistent threat in San Francisco for a while.

I really agree, that Deon Grant or Ken Hamlin would be a solid upgrade in depth over someone like Omar Stoutmire and Bryan Scott. Also, someone like Eric Johnson could also provide depth as well and I believe that he has the ablility to be a quality backup.

Also, I wanted to welcome to TigerBait45 to NFLDC! :D

diabsoule
03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Saints | F. Thomas agrees to pay cut
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:26:10 -0800

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports New Orleans Saints CB Fred Thomas has agreed to take a pay cut for the 2007 season. Thomas was originally scheduled to make $3 million this season, but has agreed to make about $2.2 instead.

Doesn't seem to be that huge of a paycut.

reznola
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Does any know if the Saints are close with eric johnson or ken hamlin?

Sveen
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I would like to see us pick up kicker Justin Medlock (UCLA) in one of the later rounds :)

Windy
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Adam Schefter just said on NFLN that the Saints signed Eric Johnson TE.

vickblowsGoSaints
03-07-2007, 05:31 PM
If the saints do bring in Hamlin it would mostly show that Roman Harper is not getting that much better after his injury. Bullocks came into the league a free safety but made the switch to strong when Harper was drafted. He had to move back after the injury. It's good to know Bullocks can play both sides for our team.

Saints are also hosting Roderick Hood right now, that would be an upgrade over Fred Thomas for sure.

Auron
03-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Adam Schefter just said on NFLN that the Saints signed Eric Johnson TE.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Yup.

The New Orleans Saints have signed free agent tight end Eric Johnson to a one-year contract worth about $2 million.

Adds another receiving threat for Brees in the offense, he can be a quality receiving threat if he's healthy.

Low risk, High reward. Really like this signing.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-07-2007, 05:47 PM
If the saints do bring in Hamlin it would mostly show that Roman Harper is not getting that much better after his injury. Bullocks came into the league a free safety but made the switch to strong when Harper was drafted. He had to move back after the injury. It's good to know Bullocks can play both sides for our team.

Saints are also hosting Roderick Hood right now, that would be an upgrade over Fred Thomas for sure.

I thought Harper played strong safety, and Bullocks played free safety from the get-go. Are you sure about that?

And yes, Hood would be an upgrade over Thomas, but quite unfortunately it appears as if Fred will remain with the team.

Auron
03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Michael Smith on ESPN, reports that both the Saints and 49ers are in talks with Seattle about acquiring Seattle WR, Darrell Jackson.

I would like that move, give up maybe a 3rd/4th rounder.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Saw a post about Eric Johnson signing, and I can't underscore how much I love that signing. It's the type of smart gamble winning organizations take. There's no certainty that Eric Johnson will be healthy, but when he was healthy, he was a solid intermediate target. Love the gamble, and makes sense from both sides (1 year deal to let him reestablish his value).

Auron
03-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Saw a post about Eric Johnson signing, and I can't underscore how much I love that signing. It's the type of smart gamble winning organizations take. There's no certainty that Eric Johnson will be healthy, but when he was healthy, he was a solid intermediate target. Love the gamble, and makes sense from both sides (1 year deal to let him reestablish his value).

Payton has made his name with these kind of risk/reward signings... acquired Jeff Faine, Hollis Thomas, Scott Fujita, and Scott Shanle last season. All players that were cast aside by their former teams...and have played up to their potential here.

I like the move even more because even if Johnson's injury problems rear their head, we re-signed Billy Miller, and have Mark Cambell for depth so we're not relying on him to be the sole contributor at TE.

vickblowsGoSaints
03-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I thought Harper played strong safety, and Bullocks played free safety from the get-go. Are you sure about that?

And yes, Hood would be an upgrade over Thomas, but quite unfortunately it appears as if Fred will remain with the team.

Yea you're right about Harper playing strong side. I remembered last offseason seeing a press conference where Payton said he was going to move Bullocks over but I guess it never played out I guess.

Regardles of how bad Fred Thomas is, I've accepted he will be staying. The good thing is that he brings veteran leadership to any new guy we get via draft or FA. I doubt he starts next year. He's played 12 years with some good seasons so hopefully he can at least pass on what he knows to someone else.

Flyboy
03-07-2007, 07:01 PM

Very good point. I believe during at one point two seasons ago he was leading the league in receptions, period. That's damn impressive.. IF he can stay healthy... just another cog in our offensive.

BiggerFoot
03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
If the Saints are able to sign either Rod Hood and Ken Hamlin we would have signed a veteran player in each of our positions of need and will be able to go with the BPA in the draft, which I believe is the best draft strategy (excluding RB and QB)

also
with the Eric Johnson signing does anyone think that this will eliminate the possibility of going for Greg Olsen in the first. The contract was only one year so I think that we could still go with Olsen because a top notch Tight End would make it easier on the rest of the offense

Auron
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
with the Eric Johnson signing does anyone think that this will eliminate the possibility of going for Greg Olsen in the first. The contract was only one year so I think that we could still go with Olsen because a top notch Tight End would make it easier on the rest of the offense
I think the Draft strategy you mentioned above, is the approach this staff is going take. Fill as many needs as you can in FA, and then Draft BPA. (best player available) If they have Olsen graded out as BPA when we're on the clock, he'll be the pick..if not someone else will.

Interesting note. Eric Johnson is only 2 years removed from his best season in 2004. Here's his stats from the '04 season.

Games played - 16, Receptions - 82, Yards - 825 ,Yards Per Catch - 10.1 , Touchdowns - 2.

Also you have to keep in mind his QB's on that team were Tim Rattay, and Ken Dorsey, Kevan Barlow was at RB, and Brandon Lloyd, Rashaun Woods at WR..

He's 6"3 so we have another big target for Drew in the redzone, and Payton can do a lot of things with him in this Offense.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-07-2007, 09:16 PM

I think that the Saints have done a good job, addressing depth at positions of need this off-season. I was not sure about the signing of LB Brian Simmons, but I've warmed to the idea of him, since I read an interview on NewOrleansSaints.com... he seems like a quality, high character guy. I'm not high his age, but I think he can provide depth and veteran leadership.

Here's the link to the interview:
Q & A with Brian Simmons (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3349)

Now, with the signing of TE Eric Johnson, I think that the Saints are adding more depth to an already strong position with Mark Campbell, Billy Miller, and John Owens. And like toonsterwu said, the fact that the contract is only an one year deal, it's like a trial period for him, to see if he's completely healthy and worth a long-term extension.

Now, I hope that the Saints are able to sign one of the cornerbacks that they've brought in for visits. Today alone, the Saints brought in CBs Roderick Hood and William James from Philadelphia. I know that diabsoule is very high on Rod Hood, so we'll have to see what happens.

reznola
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I really like the signing of Eric Johnson for the Saints. Decent run blocker with soft hands. Payton loves using the tight ends in the passing game and Brees loves throwing to the tight end, just look at Gates states from 05 compared to 06, especially when mismatched against a lot of the OLB's in the league.

I think when the signing of Johnson it does take the Saints out of the Olsen running, although their are some teams above the Saints that may not even make Olsen an option, and I am still leaning towards possibly moving down into the early second and picking up a third the next year and possibley another third this year if they could get a bite on it, and if you could do that then make the trade for Darrel Jackson that someone brought up earlier in the thread. The draft this year has a lot of mid round TE's that could go earlier in the draft a lot of years. I also am a fan of Sidney Rice at the end of the 1st round if you can't swing a deal for another vetern wideout.

diabsoule
03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Personally, I would have prefered McMichael over Johnson. I am just too worried about Johnson's injury history to feel that he will be able to contribuate valuably to our team. I think this signing is just like the signing of Ernie Conwell a few years ago.

Auron
03-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Personally, I would have prefered McMichael over Johnson. I am just too worried about Johnson's injury history to feel that he will be able to contribuate valuably to our team. I think this signing is just like the signing of Ernie Conwell a few years ago.

Eh still little risk involved, 1 year deal.. Johnson needs to be productive to get a big contract next year. So he should be motivated.

If he winds up hurt, we still have our Tight ends from last season Mark Campbell, and Billy Miller, with the ability to call up Owens.

Sveen
03-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Indianapolis free-agent wide receiver Brandon Stokely is visiting the New Orleans Saints on Thursday.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Saints67
03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Rumor: ESPN has reported that, Rod Hood will sign with the saints by Friday.

also, Kaesvaharnis close to signing with the saints as well...

Saints67
03-08-2007, 05:52 PM
ahhh, i forgot the sources...

Kaesviharn: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2007/03/saints-trying-to-get-deal-done-with.asp

Hood: it's a rumor as of right now...but a poster on Saintsreport.com had stated..that on the 'Dan Patrick show'...Dan reported that Hood may sign with the saints as early as friday...

Saints Dome Patrol
03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Rumor: ESPN has reported that, Rod Hood will sign with the saints by Friday.

also, Kaesvaharnis close to signing with the saints as well...

I know diabsoule will be super happy if the Saints do end up signing Roderick Hood, but I don't know enough about Kevin Kaesviharn to make a judgment one way or another. According to NFL.com's Adam Schefter, Kaesviharn is "always seems to be around the ball" and has narrowed his choices to the re-signing with Cincinnati, or signing with Arizona or the Saints.

Cross your fingers, gentlemen.

BiggerFoot
03-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I would rather have Ken Hamlin over Kevin Kaesviharn because from what I hear Hamlin is excellent with run support which is what the Saints need help with the most. Although Kaesviharn had 6 interceptions last year I just think that Hamlin would be the type of player that could give our defense some pop to it. Where teams would dread playing against us, we need a little mean streak

Auron
03-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I would rather have Ken Hamlin over Kevin Kaesviharn because from what I hear Hamlin is excellent with run support which is what the Saints need help with the most. Although Kaesviharn had 6 interceptions last year I just think that Hamlin would be the type of player that could give our defense some pop to it. Where teams would dread playing against us, we need a little mean streak
I like Hamlin as well, but he might be looking for a huge contract..and I don't think we'll overpay especially when we might be able to get Kaesviharn for a fraction of the cost.

If we sign Hood, and a Safety I'll be a pretty happy man for now.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-08-2007, 07:22 PM

No, I entirely agree. Between Kaesviharn and Hamlin, I would prefer Hamlin, since he seems to be the hard-hitter and better on run support. But, who knows?

When the Saints drafted Harper, I wasn't a fan of the selection, but he seemed promising even though he only played in 5 games. I just hope his injuries aren't too serious.

Stoopid512
03-09-2007, 05:33 PM
I saw an article in the paper today about Mr. Brandon Stokely in town to visit. I know the Colts cut him, but could he be a solid #2 or #3 guy in our formation? He was a 1,000 yard receiver a few years ago, and has been injury-plagued...

Man_Of_Steel
03-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I think Stokley is a great wr, props to you guys if you actually land him.

Flyboy
03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
In our offense, if healthy, Stokely can do close to what he did for the Colts. Granted our #1 and #2 WRs aren't Harrison and Wayne, but the point still stands.

Acreboy
03-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Where are these Injury prone reports coming from? He was hurt for 1 year and that was last year!

cardsalltheway
03-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Where are these Injury prone reports coming from? He was hurt for 1 year and that was last year!

Had a foot injury in '03 and got hurt twice last year, a nagging ankle injury and then the ruptured achilles. I don't think you'll ever get the '05 Brandon, since he was simply a product of Peyton's amazing season that year, but with guys like Brees, Colston and Henderson, I think he can be a 30-40 catch per year guy from the slot.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I saw an article in the paper today about Mr. Brandon Stokely in town to visit. I know the Colts cut him, but could he be a solid #2 or #3 guy in our formation? He was a 1,000 yard receiver a few years ago, and has been injury-plagued...

Had a foot injury in '03 and got hurt twice last year, a nagging ankle injury and then the ruptured achilles. I don't think you'll ever get the '05 Brandon, since he was simply a product of Peyton's amazing season that year, but with guys like Brees, Colston and Henderson, I think he can be a 30-40 catch per year guy from the slot.

Personally, I'm not particularly sold on Brandon Stokely. Not only am I concerned with his injury concerns, I don't know what this would mean for our wide receiver corps. I think everyone will agree that Marques Colston is our number one, but our number two is still up in the air, in my opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of Devery Henderson as a number two and I don't think that Brandon Stokely would be a number two either. I think that if we sign someone like Stokely, then it possibly takes us out the running for some of the big name prospects in the Draft. If we sign Stokely, it pushes everyone down on the depth chart, and I don't know if we really need him.

Again, that's just my opinion.

Sveen
03-10-2007, 08:42 AM
It does make a lot of sense. I don't either like the thought of having two #3 guys (in Stokely and Henderson) competing for the #2 spot. I would rather see us bringing in a clear #2 guy to start opposite Colston eiter via the Draft or in FA.

Who Dat Nation
03-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Cardinals | Team signs Hood
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:21:27 -0800

The Arizona Cardinals have signed free-agent CB Roderick Hood (Eagles) to a five-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

What now?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-10-2007, 02:43 PM
According to PFT, the Saints brought in CB Frank Walker from the Giants for a visit. I really don't know anything about him. He's 25 years old and a 4 year vet, and from looking at his stats it appears he had a solid rookie year and then fell off the map.

diabsoule
03-10-2007, 08:50 PM
According to PFT, the Saints brought in CB Frank Walker from the Giants for a visit. I really don't know anything about him. He's 25 years old and a 4 year vet, and from looking at his stats it appears he had a solid rookie year and then fell off the map.

From reading about him it seems like he could be productive in the right system. He has played for the Giants his whole career and I know that their organization does not seem to be able to develop talent all that well. I like his size and his skill set so I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in as either a nickel or dime back but he would definitely he would have to show he can play in training camp.

I am also really perturbed that we have not been able to address our seconday so far in free agency. The secondary, as everyone knows, was our weakest position last year and we have sat on our haunces and not done anything. We've missed out on Rod Hood, William James, and others and while we wait and presumably lowball the people we're bringing, they are ending up signing with other teams and leaving us high and dry.

I think that we should also address DT more in FA by signing someone like Ian Scott, Alfonso Boone, Robaire Smith, or Anthony Adams. We haven't yet and by signing someone young like Scott or Adams it would knock off a draft need.

Sveen
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
The Dolphins are discussing an Olindo Mare trade with the Browns, Saints, Giants, and Falcons, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Source: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spdolphins13mar13,0,5913312.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Saints re-signed CB DeJuan Groce to a one-year contract.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-13-2007, 06:00 PM
From ESPN's Bottom Line:

The Green Bay Packers have signed cornerback Frank Walker.

Now what?

Who Dat Nation
03-13-2007, 06:40 PM
New Orleans Saints Agree To Terms With S Kevin Kaesviharn To Four-year Contract

I wanted Ken Hamlin, nice signing though.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-13-2007, 07:16 PM

Here's a link to it on NewOrleansSaints.com:

Saints sign UFA S Kevin Kaesviharn (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3356)

Personally, I would have liked Ken Hamlin better as well, but maybe he wanted more than the tight-wad front office was willing to spend.

gbpackers0065
03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
http://rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2559

4yr 10mil..................solid move

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 07:27 PM
ehhh, average at best IMO.

gbpackers0065
03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
ehhh, average at best IMO.

Sorry he's no Terrence Newman but he's a playmaker with 6 INT's off the bench most of last year

etk
03-13-2007, 07:32 PM
He had 6 times as many picks as Newman....

toonsterwu
03-13-2007, 07:32 PM
odd, i thought this happened a couple days ago. maybe it just got finalized now or something like that. anyhow, adds depth and veteran leadership to the situation ... with Roman Harper coming off injury, it's a nice move.

All in all, steady offseason. Good gamble in Eric Johnson. Added leadership with all three guys. Improved the linebacker core. Really seems like they are gearing up to take a corner in round 1, unless they fall in love with a DT talent, but that's just a hunch on my part.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 07:40 PM
He had 6 times as many picks as Newman....

So did Roy williams and Deangelo hall.........who both suck, which goes to show you picks mean nothing.

etk
03-13-2007, 07:43 PM
So did Roy williams and Deangelo hall.........who both suck, which goes to show you picks mean nothing.

DeAngelo Hall does not suck, he is merely overrated slightly.

jkb528
03-13-2007, 07:44 PM

Yea... okay...

bennybee38
03-13-2007, 07:45 PM
obviously he doesn't suck if hes in the NFL

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 07:46 PM
He sucks compared to other NFL players then, happy?

Oh and, Yea....okay what? picks are overrated, um yes they are.

And DeAngelo Hall does suck. Based on this past year, he is a HORRBILE CB. If you think about it, D-Hall has had 1 good year, 1 horrible year, and 1 average year, so he really isn't even proven yet, what if he is a 1 year wonder? The fact that he got in the pro-bowl is such a good joke you could laugh for days.

gbpackers0065
03-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Kaesviharn played in and started less games and had more tackles plus 4 sacks and those are good stats

etk
03-13-2007, 07:50 PM
He sucks compared to other NFL players then, happy?

Oh and, Yea....okay what? picks are overrated, um yes they are.

And DeAngelo Hall does suck. Based on this past year, he is a HORRBILE CB. If you think about it, D-Hall has had 1 good year, 1 horrible year, and 1 average year, so he really isn't even proven yet, what if he is a 1 year wonder? The fact that he got in the pro-bowl is such a good joke you could laugh for days.

No I get enough laughs from reading your posts.

bored of education
03-13-2007, 07:57 PM
I like it for sure.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Kaesviharn played in and started less games and had more tackles plus 4 sacks and those are good stats

He is a safety.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 08:01 PM
No I get enough laughs from reading your posts.

I get enough laughs when you say ronde barber is good.

gbpackers0065
03-13-2007, 08:11 PM
He is a safety.

he actually palyed more corner than safety this year

GermanSaint
03-13-2007, 08:18 PM
a little depth here , a little competition there ....

Auron
03-13-2007, 08:25 PM

I was out all day, so I just saw this..

I like this signing, he's an immediate upgrade over what Bellamy, or Stoutmire brought to the table.. and he should be able to push Bullocks to either get his act together or ride the bench. He can probably play both Safety positions as well.

PalmerToCJ
03-13-2007, 08:34 PM
he actually palyed more corner than safety this year

Only in Nickel. He played more saftey than CB this year.

KK isn't nearly as good as his stats indicated last year, he's a good backup... Nothing more and nothing less. If a team rely's on him as a starter they should be drafting a S.

art vandelay
03-13-2007, 08:55 PM
He's got good ball skills...average as a tackler, underrated somewhat.

PalmerToCJ
03-13-2007, 09:03 PM
He's got good ball skills...average as a tackler, underrated somewhat.

I would call him average overall. In '05 when he started the entire year he never really stood out and got burned but not excessively. I was glad last year that he wouldn't start but I was also glad we had him for depth so he's just kind of a tweener in my eyes.

Hines
03-13-2007, 09:06 PM
I get enough laughs when you say ronde barber is good.

we all get laughs cuz u think that newman is the greatest thing to walk to earth
dumbass

etk
03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
we all get laughs cuz u think that newman is the greatest thing to walk to earth
dumbass

Don't even answer that comment HinesWard. TNewFan seems to have forgotten/ignored the impact that Ronde Barber has had on the league and his pioneering effect on Cornerbacks alike.

princefielder28
03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
nothing to get overly excited about

Hines
03-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Don't even answer that comment HinesWard. TNewFan seems to have forgotten/ignored the impact that Ronde Barber has had on the league and his pioneering effect on Cornerbacks alike.

its funny cuz he gets murderd on these lil debates by everyone
and it still dont get threw his head
god i think he rides the short bus like for reals

and i totally agree i like ronde way over newman
ronde is a beast and a hulluva corner

i should make threads of hines ward and mock tnewfan
lol

Microphon200
03-13-2007, 09:25 PM
I like it for sure.

You only. Kaesviharn sucks. Ken Hamlin is out on the market and they sign Keasviharn.

bored of education
03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
I love you too Microphon200

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-13-2007, 09:38 PM

You suck, and that's overrating you, you dumb pee head.

Flyboy
03-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm not overly excited about the signing, but if anything it gives us some added depth and that is always a plus. Also, a good backup plan if Roman Harper isn't recovering like we hoped.

Flyboy
03-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Looks more and more likely like we're going to address the CB position in the draft.

PalmerToCJ
03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm not overly excited about the signing, but if anything it gives us some added depth and that is always a plus. Also, a good backup plan if Roman Harper isn't recovering like we hoped.

That's the perfect way to look at this signing. I wish we still had him for depth.

diabsoule
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I think it's a decent signing and nothing to get excited about. I would have preferred us to sign Ken Hamlin. I also would still like us to try and pursue Kawika Mitchell, but I doubt that's going to happen. I still wish we could bringing some talented DT's like either Ian Scott or Anthony Adams. I

Forenci
03-13-2007, 11:31 PM
I like this signing, gives the Saints some depth for Mr. Harper. I like how the Saints have gone about Free Agency. They've added depth and used Free Agency to prepare themselves for getting the young talent they need in the draft. Teams need to learn that's what free agency is all about.

Yeah, clearly to insult Ronde Barber and call him a terrible cornerback is an insane and completely baseless accusation. Not to mention, completely untrue. I love Ronde (not just because he's Tiki's brother), but because he took corners from being "cover and intercept" to "cover, intercept, tackle and sack". May end up being one of the best all-around corners. Only CB to get 20 interceptions and 20 sacks.

Caddy
03-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Good solid pick up by the aints'. He'll provide depth behind some youngsters and can fill in if they slip up.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Solid signing. We all would have liked Hamlin, but he would have came at a much steeper price than Kaesviharn. The one thing that I like about Kevin is that he's a ballhawk and a guy who could create turnovers, something that our defense lacked last season.

After reading his scouting report, I think he can be more than a backup player for us. I could see him battling it out with Bullocks (who hasn't played up to his skills) for the starting FS position. Maybe, if Harper isn't good to go, Bullocks can slide over to SS for some time. The more I think about it, the more I like this signing.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-14-2007, 12:36 PM

I agree, with Kaesviharn, now we have some quality depth and according to multiple sources, a solid special teamer. The other thing is he's also younger than Stoutmire and Bellamy, and is that the deal is not that too expensive, so I suppose it's a okay signing.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Courtesy of CBS Sportsline.com's Clark Judge:

Read the whole blog here: Punt, pass and Judge (http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/10033019)

Good move for Saints
He's not a household name, but trust me: Safety Kevin Kaesviharn will help the New Orleans Saints.

Kaevisharn, who signed with the Saints on Tuesday, was one of the best free agents left out there. A nickel back with the Bengals, the guy has a nose for the football. Against Carolina he intercepted Jake Delhomme in the end zone to choke off the Panthers' last gasp. Against the Saints he pulled an encore, intercepting a pass in the end zone in a 31-16 win.

When the season was over he led the Bengals with six interceptions. This was one guy I thought the Bengals would fight to keep. He's a solid player, with good size and speed, and he hasn't appeared on a police blotter. Anyway, acquiring him will improve a Saints defense that surrendered too many big plays.

Can he start? He did in 2005 when Cincinnati reached the playoffs. In fact, he started all 16 games. He'll start in New Orleans, too. The Saints didn't make it to last season's Super Bowl because they didn't have enough defense, but this is how you start plugging holes.

Hallelujah.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Looks more and more likely like we're going to address the CB position in the draft.

I agree, I think that especially now with all the bigger name cornerbacks being snatched up by other teams, that the Draft is where we're going to get one, if not two, cornerbacks in April. I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints select one corner in the first couple of rounds and then got a second one later, maybe in day two.

Another position that we're probably going to have to look at in the Draft is defensive tackle. We could still go after someone like Alfonso Boone, Anthony Adams or Ian Scott, but it looks more and more likely like we're not going to sign any of them and rather, look to the draft to add depth behind both Hollis Thomas and Brian Young.

Sveen
03-16-2007, 12:13 AM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Saints DE Charles Grant, the team's franchise player, has scheduled a meeting with Tampa Bay.

Source: http://www.rotoworld.com

Auron
03-16-2007, 01:19 AM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Saints DE Charles Grant, the team's franchise player, has scheduled a meeting with Tampa Bay.

Kind of feel uneasy about this... but I guess he wants to explore the options. I'm kind of hoping he uses Tampa, to get Loomis to cave in and offer him something long term. At the very least I hope he offers the Saints a chance to match the offer.

I really hope this doesn't turn out to be like the Lance Briggs situation, with Grant threatening to hold out the entire season.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Kind of feel uneasy about this... but I guess he wants to explore the options. I'm kind of hoping he uses Tampa, to get Loomis to cave in and offer him something long term. At the very least I hope he offers the Saints a chance to match the offer.

I really hope this doesn't turn out to be like the Lance Briggs situation, with Grant threatening to hold out the entire season.

I don't know how to feel about this. Personally, if he wants to leave, I say, let him go. I'd rather not put up with all this bull[expletive deleted] about holding out the entire season.

Please...you're making almost the top salary for your position in the entire league...either suck it up, shut up and play or move on. I wasn't happy when the Saints tagged him and he was complaining about us "low-balling" him. I definitely don't want the Saints going through another Darren Howard situation.

And if Grant goes, then we get two first rounders... not too shabby...Calvin Johnson anyone? ;)

Flyboy
03-16-2007, 08:52 AM
And if Grant goes, then we get two first rounders... not too shabby...Calvin Johnson anyone?

Yeah, I'm definitely using wishful thinking for this situation as well. :)

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-16-2007, 09:20 PM
...Is visiting with the Saints, and I for one think he would be a perfect fit. Our receiving corps is very young and we could really use a seasoned veteran; also, his familiarity with Drew Brees is a bonus (he had a solid year in 05, his last season with Drew). Of course, his age (37) means he can't produce near the level he once did, but he knows how to get open and he has reliable hands. Plus, he would be a good teacher for all of the young WR's we have. It seems like there isn't much interest in Keenan, and we might be able to grab him for cheap. Am I the only one who would like to see him in black in gold next season?

Auron
03-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't mind the signing, would add a veteran presence to the receiving corps.

However his age, and declining production is a bit of a concern. I don't think he'd be anything more than a 3rd WR, and situational guy at this point.

Fact that he's familiar with Brees helps a bit.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Not particularly interested in a 37-year-old wide receiver whose production has dropped off in the last few years... kind of reminds me of another wide out that we released a week or so ago... hmm... :confused:

Sveen
03-17-2007, 05:29 AM
The fact that we could use a veteran WR it would be a good thing to have him around, but I don't about signing a player that we might not get much production out of. Kind of on the fence with this one.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-17-2007, 09:51 AM
No new updates as of yet on the whole Charles Grant situation... there's a lot of talk on the main forum about it, but so far, I haven't heard any news from either side.

According to NOLA.com, the Saints have brought in several wide receivers, including Colts WR Brandon Stokely and also Seattle WR Bobby Engram (which I haven't heard anything about) and soon, Chargers WR Keenan McCardell as well as showing interest in trading for Seattle's Darrell Jackson. It seems that the Saints are looking to add another wide receiver after losing Joe Horn, but I personally would enjoy it more if we'd address this "need" during the Draft, instead of getting an aging veteran.

Another position that we haven't addressed in free agency is defensive tackle, and as it is, there are still several options still out there, including both Chicago DTs Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone, and the 49ers' Anthony Adams. I wouldn't mind if the Saints sign one of these three and then maybe invest a mid-rounder for a capable back-up to add depth.

So, I'm quite curious to see what the Saints do with the remainder of free agency.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Another position that we haven't addressed in free agency is defensive tackle, and as it is, there are still several options still out there, including both Chicago DTs Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone, and the 49ers' Anthony Adams. I wouldn't mind if the Saints sign one of these three and then maybe invest a mid-rounder for a capable back-up to add depth.

According to Sveen, our Scandinavian source for Saints news, the Chiefs have signed Bears defensive tackle Alfonso Boone.

Well, maybe the Saints could still go after Ian Scott or Anthony Adams. :rolleyes:

Sveen
03-17-2007, 10:17 AM
According to Sveen, our Scandinavian source for Saints news

I like that title :)

Saints Dome Patrol
03-17-2007, 10:32 AM
I like that title :)

I figured you would... :)

reznola
03-17-2007, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Charles Grant go to Tampa Bay, under certain conditions. The Bucs aren't going to trade the no. 4 pick for him, but you could ask for both their second round pics and a first next year. I wouldn't give him away, but I doubt you will see them give up the no. 4 this year, which defiently should be used on calvin johnson and their one next year.

What a dream trio of wideouts for brees to work with. Johnson one one side, Colston on the other, with devery in the slot, it would cause nightmares for defensive coaches.

Sveen
03-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Calvin Johnson to the Saints. I think you might be dreaming ;)

Nice thought though :D

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Not particularly interested in a 37-year-old wide receiver whose production has dropped off in the last few years... kind of reminds me of another wide out that we released a week or so ago... hmm... :confused:

There is a very big difference here. The big money in Joe Horn's contract was to start kicking in this year; I believe his cap number was over $5 million. The money was the primary reason we let Joe go, and his recent lack of production just made it that much easier.

McCardell could be had for a pretty cheap price. His production dropped off LAST YEAR, not the last few years. Look at his 05 season (his last season with Drew); he was a very solid starter.

Now, maybe I didn't clarify. I don't expect him to produce like a 25, 30, or even a 35 year old version of Keenan McCardell produced. That would be flat out silly to expect. What I do think he would bring to our receiving corps is a veteran presence with reliable hands for a cheap price tag. Something very much like Ricky Proehl was for the Carolina Panthers a few years ago. They signed him at age 36, and he went on to have three seasons of solid, reliable play as the #3 or #4 receiver.

I'm having a hard time understanding how anybody could be against this.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-18-2007, 08:49 PM
This kind of got overshadowed, but the Carolina Panthers signed unrestricted free agent Terrence Melton to an undisclosed amount.

So who's with me and thinks that we need to draft a linebacker during day one come April?

Auron
03-18-2007, 08:59 PM
This kind of got overshadowed, but the Carolina Panthers signed unrestricted free agent Terrence Melton to an undisclosed amount.

So who's with me and thinks that we need to draft a linebacker during day one come April?

I think we have a lot more needs than expected. I'd rank the Needs like this.

1. Cornerback (s)
2. Defensive Tackle (run stuffing)
3. Complimentary Wide Receiver (crisp route runner)
4. Linebacker Depth
5. Tight End (groom for the future)

Saints Dome Patrol
03-18-2007, 10:21 PM
I think we have a lot more needs than expected. I'd rank the Needs like this.

1. Cornerback (s)
2. Defensive Tackle (run stuffing)
3. Complimentary Wide Receiver (crisp route runner)
4. Linebacker Depth
5. Tight End (groom for the future)

I don't disagree with you. I think that the lack of activity of the Saints so far during free agency has really made it make or break come the Draft.

Don't get me wrong, the Saints have a good core of players, but there are still positions that could use upgrading or depth, or even both.

I agree, the biggest need should be cornerback, followed by defensive tackle, but then I'd put linebacker a little higher than wide receiver (especially if the Saints sign one of the several wide outs they've brought in for visits), then tight end and finally, offensive guard, kicker and quarterback.

Again, that's my opinion, but I think that most would agree.

Definitely cornerback should be our main priority come April.

Auron
03-18-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not too disappointed in the off-season. So far the Saints have made it a priority to retain most of current players they got to the NFC Championship game with. To ensure continuity, and avoid a lot of turn over. I think they've made upgrades at MLB, and TE. As well as add depth at Safety.

The CB situation is shaky right now, but I have full confidence that it will be addressed. Last year they made some Draft day moves to acquire 2 positions of need. A Center (Faine), and DT (Hollis). I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar during this Draft.

I actually think we still have a quite a bit of building to do. Just last year this was a team in full re-building mode coming off a 3-13 season, they've come a long way since then but there is still work to do.

Which is why I'm glad Payton & Co. have 9 Draft picks to work this year. I have full trust in them because this staff seems to know exactly what they are looking for in regards to bringing in players that can help the team. (Only missing on 2 picks last year Lay, and Hass) I think the Draft is where they'll shine once again and bring this team another step closer toward being top contenders.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm not too disappointed in the off-season. So far the Saints have made it a priority to retain most of current players they got to the NFC Championship game with. To ensure continuity, and avoid a lot of turn over. I think they've made upgrades at MLB, and TE. As well as add depth at Safety.

The CB situation is shaky right now, but I have full confidence that it will be addressed. Last year they made some Draft day moves to acquire 2 positions of need. A Center (Faine), and DT (Hollis). I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar during this Draft.

I actually think we still have a quite a bit of building to do. Just last year this was a team in full re-building mode coming off a 3-13 season, they've come a long way since then but there is still work to do.

Which is why I'm glad Payton & Co. have 9 Draft picks to work this year. I have full trust in them because this staff seems to know exactly what they are looking for in regards to bringing in players that can help the team. (Only missing on 2 picks last year Lay, and Hass) I think the Draft is where they'll shine once again and bring this team another step closer toward being top contenders.

*yawn*

Oh I'm sorry, the lack of news in free agency these last few days are making me sleepy.

Now, I don't disagree that the Saints have done fairly well in signing players to add depth to some key positions, but I will say that they have 1.) done a poor job keeping several of their own players and 2.) have let several other free agents leave town without any agreements.

The former doesn't bother me as much as the latter, to be completely honest. Losing players like linebackers Terrence Melton and Danny Clark and even, and it still hurts, wide receiver Joe Horn to free agency isn't as bad as missing out on several names in free agency that could have really helped us out.

That said, I still believe (or maybe I just hope) that the Saints are not done in free agency. Both defensive tackles Anthony Adams and Ian Scott are still available and there are other players that might be able to help add depth to our team.

I also agree that even after the turnaround from 3-13 to the playoffs that New Orleans is not done rebuilding. There are still several weak spots on the team, primarily on defense, and other positions that could use quality depth.

Looking back on last year's draft, it's funny to say that at that time, I thought that the Saints had a mediocre draft at best.

I remember commenting that the Saints should have traded away their first round selection to the Jets, and gotten both their first rounders and possibly a mid round pick. Instead, the Saints stayed put and got Reggie Bush, who has shown some flashes of brilliance and could be a premier all-purpose back in a few years.

I won't go through every pick at this point (since I'm about to pass out) but needless to say, I wasn't totally big on the Saints' draft last season. There wasn't one pick I was really excited about, but boy, now it looks like the Saints came out better than expected (Marques Colston, anyone?) with not only their picks, but also trading down and picking up two big name free agents, and as it is, a few of their picks still have tremendous upside.

Hopefully, the Saints will continue to address some needs in free agency and then come April, be able to really help out our team with some solid selections in the Draft.

Auron
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Now, I don't disagree that the Saints have done fairly well in signing players to add depth to some key positions, but I will say that they have 1.) done a poor job keeping several of their own players and 2.) have let several other free agents leave town without any agreements.

I don't really think this was a strong Free Agent class. Other than Clements which high impact Free agent do you think we really missed out on? Having someone like Hood would've been very nice but he was very unproven only being a Nickelback in his career. Other than that I saw a lot of teams throwing big time money around for average players.

The former doesn't bother me as much as the latter, to be completely honest. Losing players like linebackers Terrence Melton and Danny Clark and even, and it still hurts, wide receiver Joe Horn to free agency isn't as bad as missing out on several names in free agency that could have really helped us out.
I don't think we suffered any big losses so far. The only starters from last season we lost were Joe, and Conwell.. and neither of them played during our stretch run where we got to the NFC Championship. Melton was a good special teamer, but he was only a backup. Clark had potential but if the staff would've saw something in him they would've tried to keep him. I think if those are our only losses so far then we are fortunate, so far pretty much every starter from the NFC Championship is still on the roster. (with the exception of Bellamy)

That said, I still believe (or maybe I just hope) that the Saints are not done in free agency. Both defensive tackles Anthony Adams and Ian Scott are still available and there are other players that might be able to help add depth to our team.
I agree with you on that point, there's still quite a while before the Draft and there are a few guys we can bring in specifically at DT, and WR.

I won't go through every pick at this point (since I'm about to pass out) but needless to say, I wasn't totally big on the Saints' draft last season. There wasn't one pick I was really excited about, but boy, now it looks like the Saints came out better than expected (Marques Colston, anyone?) with not only their picks, but also trading down and picking up two big name free agents, and as it is, a few of their picks still have tremendous upside.

Hopefully, the Saints will continue to address some needs in free agency and then come April, be able to really help out our team with some solid selections in the Draft.
Yup I remember a lot of people myself included had doubts about the Saints Draft last year. A lot of people complained about reaching for Roman Harper in the 2nd round, it turns out he won the starting job at SS and played well before getting hurt. People scratched their heads in the 4th round when we passed up one of the highest rated Guards Max Jean-Gilles to take the little known Jahri Evans from Bloomsburg, and then again when we took a WR from Hofstra in the 7th round..

That is why I trust in the player evaluations, and personnel moves this Staff makes. So far they really seem to know what they're doing. I think Payton is a guy who likes to build from the Draft, like a lot of elite teams do.. (Ravens, Eagles, Chargers.)

*whew* I need a break from typing. :D

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 04:11 PM
As per NFL.com's Adam Schefter:

NFL News (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511)

Wide receiver Brandon Stokely signed an one-year agreement with...the Denver Broncos.

Just another hit and miss, eh Auron?

Auron
03-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Wide receiver Brandon Stokely signed an one-year agreement with...the Denver Broncos.

Just another hit and miss, eh Auron?

Eh no biggie, would've been a nice situational target / 3rd WR.

However he is 30 years old, and coming off a torn Achilles tendon injury. There are still other options available when it comes to veteran WRs.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Some more signings of note:

Linebacker Shawn Barber was signed to a three year deal with the Houston Texans, worth about five million dollars.
story link: Free agent LB signs with Texans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2804716)

*and*

The St. Louis Rams signed linebacker Chris Draft and cornerback Mike Rumph.
story link: Rams agree with two free agents (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2805498)

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 07:32 PM
There is a very big difference here. The big money in Joe Horn's contract was to start kicking in this year; I believe his cap number was over $5 million. The money was the primary reason we let Joe go, and his recent lack of production just made it that much easier.

McCardell could be had for a pretty cheap price. His production dropped off LAST YEAR, not the last few years. Look at his 05 season (his last season with Drew); he was a very solid starter.

Now, maybe I didn't clarify. I don't expect him to produce like a 25, 30, or even a 35 year old version of Keenan McCardell produced. That would be flat out silly to expect. What I do think he would bring to our receiving corps is a veteran presence with reliable hands for a cheap price tag. Something very much like Ricky Proehl was for the Carolina Panthers a few years ago. They signed him at age 36, and he went on to have three seasons of solid, reliable play as the #3 or #4 receiver.

I'm having a hard time understanding how anybody could be against this.

Maybe because, well, the fact that we need a true second receiver, since I don't think that either Terrence Copper or Devery Henderson could step in full-time, and that Keenan McCardell is an aging player. While I don't disagree that he could (key word: could) provide depth, I really don't know if I like him in our system.

If we sign McCardell, then what? Who's our number two receiver? Copper? Henderson? Like I said before, and I'll say it again, neither one of them is a true number two and we need one. I'd rather look to the Draft and select someone to be our second receiver and then that way we have Copper and Henderson as our slot and fourth receivers.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Just to update, Stokely's a member of the Broncos now.

Broncos, receiver Stokely agree on one-year deal (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2805775)

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
New news from ESPN, after the Redskins traded safety Adam Archuleta to the Chicago Bears for a sixth round selection, the Redskins turned around and signed free agent safety Omar Stoutmire to a one-year deal.

Comments?

Auron
03-20-2007, 11:11 PM
New news from ESPN, after the Redskins traded safety Adam Archuleta to the Chicago Bears for a sixth round selection, the Redskins turned around and signed free agent safety Omar Stoutmire to a one-year deal.

Comments?

He had his moments last season, but was generally inconsistent, and took some penalties. I think he'll be a fine backup / Special teamer for Washington.

Also Deon Grant, FA safety that signed with Seattle was on Sirius radio earlier today.. he said the Saints, and Giants were willing to match the offer but he chose Seattle because of the Superbowl rings members of the coaching staff had, and he wanted to go to a new area in the Northwest..

diabsoule
03-21-2007, 02:04 AM
We keep losing out on free agents. I wonder why we're sitting on our hands and not doing anything other than what we have already done.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Maybe because, well, the fact that we need a true second receiver, since I don't think that either Terrence Copper or Devery Henderson could step in full-time, and that Keenan McCardell is an aging player. While I don't disagree that he could (key word: could) provide depth, I really don't know if I like him in our system.

If we sign McCardell, then what? Who's our number two receiver? Copper? Henderson? Like I said before, and I'll say it again, neither one of them is a true number two and we need one. I'd rather look to the Draft and select someone to be our second receiver and then that way we have Copper and Henderson as our slot and fourth receivers.

Are you serious? So, you're telling me that if we bring McCardell in, that we can't sign or draft anyone else at WR? Wow, that makes, you know, so much sense!

One of the main reasons I'm pulling for McCardell to come to the Saints is to add some veteran insight and leadership to our receiving corps. Our WR's are VERY young. You, on the other hand, want to add a #2 receiver through the draft? I have so many problems with this.

- In what round do you suggest we take this #2 WR? Our biggest needs are still on defense. If we don't go defense in at least the first two rounds, I will be pissed. So, do you want a rookie 3rd or 4th round WR to step in and start? Will he really be better than our other options? I doubt it.
- Not every rookie is going to be a Marques Colston. Most struggle in their rookie year.
- I would MUCH rather start Henderson or Copper for a year. Actually, I'm really hoping Henderson gets the chance. As a former 2nd round pick entering his 4th year in the league, I would like to see what he's got as a starter.
- Did I mention how young our guys would be? 23 year old Colston, 24 year old Henderson, 25 year old Copper... not to mention the rookie you want to draft... there isn't much experience between our guys. If only we had a veteran guy who could tutor all these young guys, all the while still being able to produce in a somewhat limited role. Hmm...
- WR is NOT an IMMINENT need. We can get by next year with what we have, which is why we should just add some depth through free agency, and maybe another WR on the late second day of the draft, and focus all of our early picks on defense.

Colston / Henderson / Copper / McCardell / Jamal Jones / late Day 2 draft pick works just fine.

reznola
03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
They were saying on the sportstalk with bobby hebert on 870 yesterday that the Dolphins are looking to make a contract offer to Terrence Copper that it will be hard for the Saints to match.

reznola
03-21-2007, 11:04 AM
I wonder why the Saints haven't looked at Hartwell the ILB from Atlanta. He was a beast when filling in for Ray Lewis with the Ravens and played well for the Falcons when he wasn't injured.

I really don't see the Saints doing much more in FA this year. The class was overall weak, because a lot of teams are holding on to their guys this year since they had all the extra cap room, and also by playing your hand tight this year you set yourself up pretty well for next year when most teams will be right up against the cap like they are in most years. The Saints also have 9 picks in the draft with 6 in the first four rounds. That is a good bit of picks in what is looking like a deep draft, and the Saints have shown they aren't afraid to trade for someone and move down a few spots and pick up a guy in the last year of his contract to see what they can get out of him in his contract year.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-21-2007, 11:40 AM
They were saying on the sportstalk with bobby hebert on 870 yesterday that the Dolphins are looking to make a contract offer to Terrence Copper that it will be hard for the Saints to match.

And we'd get no compensation.

Ugh.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-21-2007, 11:54 AM
There really isn't too much more we need to do in free agency. I'd really only like to see us make 2 more moves:

1. Bring in a seasoned veteran at WR (Keenan McCardell would be perfect IMO; Bobby Engram would also work)

2. Bring in a younger vet DT to add to our rotation (someone like Ian Scott, Anthony Adams, or Kindal Moorehead would be nice)

I wouldn't mind us bringing in some depth at CB, but with Fred Thomas returning to the team and our being poised to draft a corner Day 1, I don't think it will happen.

Flyboy
03-21-2007, 03:49 PM
We keep losing out on free agents. I wonder why we're sitting on our hands and not doing anything other than what we have already done.

To be honest, I'm gone we haven't done too much. Eric Johnson, Brian Simmons, & KK should be solid additions and on the flipside we aren't selling the farm to sign guys like you see a lot of teams doing this offseason. We can build through the draft for the most part and probably even make some smart draft day trades.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-21-2007, 08:12 PM

Are you serious? So, you're telling me that if we bring McCardell in, that we can't sign or draft anyone else at WR? Wow, that makes, you know, so much sense!

One of the main reasons I'm pulling for McCardell to come to the Saints is to add some veteran insight and leadership to our receiving corps. Our WR's are VERY young. You, on the other hand, want to add a #2 receiver through the draft? I have so many problems with this.

- In what round do you suggest we take this #2 WR? Our biggest needs are still on defense. If we don't go defense in at least the first two rounds, I will be pissed. So, do you want a rookie 3rd or 4th round WR to step in and start? Will he really be better than our other options? I doubt it.
- Not every rookie is going to be a Marques Colston. Most struggle in their rookie year.
- I would MUCH rather start Henderson or Copper for a year. Actually, I'm really hoping Henderson gets the chance. As a former 2nd round pick entering his 4th year in the league, I would like to see what he's got as a starter.
- Did I mention how young our guys would be? 23 year old Colston, 24 year old Henderson, 25 year old Copper... not to mention the rookie you want to draft... there isn't much experience between our guys. If only we had a veteran guy who could tutor all these young guys, all the while still being able to produce in a somewhat limited role. Hmm...
- WR is NOT an IMMINENT need. We can get by next year with what we have, which is why we should just add some depth through free agency, and maybe another WR on the late second day of the draft, and focus all of our early picks on defense.

Colston / Henderson / Copper / McCardell / Jamal Jones / late Day 2 draft pick works just fine.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan, first and foremost, I would like to ask you to please refrain from insulting other posters, even if you disagree with them. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on this matter.

Now, please, show me where I mentioned that if we were to sign a free agent wide receiver that we would then be unable to select a wide receiver in the Draft.

While I don't disagree that our wide receiver corps is very young, I am very wary of signing an almost 40-year-old receiver to a contract. McCardell may have been an excellent player earlier in his career, but as it is, the man is 37-years-old and his production has declined. The idea of bringing a player in for just leadership purposes is moot. We need players that can come in and be leaders, yes, but not who will just sit on the bench and provide that leadership from the sidelines. If we wanted that, we should have kept Joe Horn. Or rather, sign someone like Jerry Rice. I'm sure that he could provide adequate leadership qualities. Or how about someone like Lynn Swann? He is a former Super Bowl MVP, and I definitely know that he could provide some veteran leadership for this young team.

Give me a break. I merely stated that I was not a fan of Keenan McCardell as a member of the Saints and you have made me out to sound like I'm against any free agent acquistions. Please. I thought that I made my point perfectly clear. I'll say it again, so perhaps everyone can understand.

I am not against the Saints acquiring a free agent wide receiver during free agency.

That being said, I would much rather the Saints sign a younger, but still proven veteran receiver and then draft someone who can learn from this veteran and then possibly, step into the role as the number two or three receiver.

diabsoule
03-21-2007, 08:32 PM
I know some guys have been pointing to Keenan McCardell or Bobby Engram to come to the Saints. While these guys are decent options, they do present some problems. Like SaintsDomePatrol pointed out, McCardell is 37 years old and while he can still contribute, he is not the type of receiver that he was a few years ago and I'm uncertain as to what all he could provide for our team other than leadership.
Bobby Engram has been productive but has sat out some games over the past couple of seasons due to some serious injury concerns. He's a veteran, and that would always be good, but how good is a veteran in providing leadership to a young team if he's not on the field because he's injured? That's the same situation that we were in with Joe Horn.

I think the receiver we need to look to that is still productive despite his age, and who has the experience and leadership we are looking for is Eric Moulds. Moulds has comprable stats to Joe Horn, along with similar build and speed. He has been in the league for 11 years, the same as Horn, yet does not have the injury concerns. I think he is the receiver that we should be looking at and not McCardell and Engram.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Moulds is a free agent? Wow, he definitely would be a nice fit.

Still, though, I stand by my belief that McCardell could be to us what Ricky Proehl was to the Panthers a few years ago.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-22-2007, 07:59 AM
TPFKA#1SaintsFan, first and foremost, I would like to ask you to please refrain from insulting other posters, even if you disagree with them. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on this matter.

Let's just drop it, okay? We obviously disagree on the subject and that isn't going to change.

However,

THIS IS NOT AN INSULT, and you know it. It's heated discussion, and I never insulted you. I like you and respect your opinion. Take a look around this forum, there are a lot of things said between posters that are A LOT harsher than what I said, that don't break the rules. Hell, just take a look at 90% of bf_51's posts. This wasn't a personal attack, I never insulted you, it was heated discussion and if you don't want a heated discussion there are better ways to handle it than calling me out in front of everyone. Now, you feel free to PM me if you have any questions on this matter.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Let's just drop it, okay? We obviously disagree on the subject and that isn't going to change.

Agreed.

Done and done with the talk about Keenan McCardell. You obviously feel very strongly that the Saints should acquire him, whereas I do not.

Question for you is: what would you say about the Saints doing something like Scott Wright has us doing, in the sense of choosing LSU WR Craig "Buster" Davis in the second round? Would you be against that selection?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Agreed.

Done and done with the talk about Keenan McCardell. You obviously feel very strongly that the Saints should acquire him, whereas I do not.

Question for you is: what would you say about the Saints doing something like Scott Wright has us doing, in the sense of choosing LSU WR Craig "Buster" Davis in the second round? Would you be against that selection?

As much as I like Buster Davis, I think we need to fully devote our first and second round picks to defense. We definitely need to take a CB with either our first or second, and I'd like to see us go LB or D-Line with the other pick. Basically, the earliest I'd want us to even think about addressing the offense is third round.

This draft is deep at WR and we should be able to get a good young player to possibly develop into a #2 guy in the 3rd or 4th round. But I don't think that we're going to (or need to) grab someone to start right away, and especially if it happens in round one or two.

Why, if you don't mind me asking, are you so against Devery Henderson getting a shot at being our #2 next season?

Saints67
03-22-2007, 04:12 PM
'Saints GM Mickey Loomis expects Bobby Engram to return to Seattle.'

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=538

so, looks like McCardell will be the vet WR we will go after now...

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-22-2007, 05:08 PM

That sounds great to me.

diabsoule
03-22-2007, 06:31 PM

Eric Moulds should be our guy. Last thing we need on our team is signing some guy from the geriatric department.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Eric Moulds should be our guy. Last thing we need on our team is signing some guy from the geriatric department.

Speaking of geriatrics, what would you say about the Saints targeting WR David Patten, formerly of New England and Washington?

Also, it seems that former Saints wide receiver Az Hakim is off the market, as he was signed by the Dolphins to a one-year deal.

So now it seems that the bigger names that are still available are Bobby Engram, David Patten, Corey Bradford, Antonio Bryant, and yes, Keenan McCardell.

Any one really jump out at you (besides TPFKA#1SaintsFan's man-crush on McCardell :rolleyes:)?

Saints Dome Patrol
03-23-2007, 02:49 AM
Chicago's free-agent defensive tackle Ian Scott arrived Wednesday night in Atlanta for a Thursday visit.

Hopefully, this doesn't pan out and New Orleans is the next stop...

(crosses fingers)

Please... :confused:

diabsoule
03-23-2007, 02:54 PM
The Cowboys signed Ken Hamlin. I wish we would've signed him but now he's with a rival.

I wish we could sign a DT. We need some youth along the defensive front. Scott or Anthony Adams would be really nice.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Good news:

COPPER STICKING WITH SAINTS

After drawing some interest on the restricted free agent market, receiver Terrance Copper has decided to stay with the Saints.

Per a league source, Copper will sign a one-year deal. The contract is expected to be worth more than his one-year tender offer of $850,000.

Copper signed with the Saints in 2006 after being released by the Cowboys. With Joe Horn no longer in New Orleans, Copper will likely be a bigger part of the offense in 2007.

Per PFT.

Auron
03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah good to hear, if some team forced us to part with Copper we would have a much bigger hole at WR.

I'm guessing he only signed a 1 year deal so that he could further prove himself before the Saints invest more in him.

Sveen
04-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Olindo Mare was traded by the Miami Dolphins to the New Orleans Saints, ending the kicker's weeks of waiting for a change of scenery.

The Dolphins are getting the Saints' sixth-round pick, No. 199 overall, in this month's draft.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NO/10106359

Sveen
04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Free-agent receiver David Patten came to New Orleans for a visit Monday. The 5-10, 190-pounder was released by the Washington Redskins last month after two disappointing seasons.

Source: http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/11755819599050.xml&coll=1

Star Wideout
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Isn't 6th too much for a kicker?

Auron
04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Isn't 6th too much for a kicker?

Actually I don't think it's too much at all. Especially since the Saints could've very well used a late round pick on a Kicker anyway in the Draft.

Auron
04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Olindo Mare article. Link (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3382)

Mare, entering his 11th season, is the Dolphins' all-time leader in several categories, including field goals (245), scoring (1,148) and field goal accuracy (.809, 245 of 303). He has also been the league's best at putting kickoffs out of reach over the last eight seasons. Since 1999, 126 of his kickoffs have gone for a touchback, including tying his career-high with an NFL-leading 24 last season.

In 2006, Mare led Miami with 100 points, drilling 26 of 36 field goals and making all 22 PATs. He closed the season by making his last nine field goal attempts, and reached triple digits in scoring for the sixth time in his career. His career accuracy percentage of 80.9 ranks 11th in NFL history among kickers with at least 100 career field goals made. Mare has 12 game-winning kicks in his career, and he has booted 15 field goals of 50 yards or more, including one in the playoffs.

and I updated the Saints off-season (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194259&postcount=80) tracker on post #80 to include the latest moves.

Sveen
04-04-2007, 07:59 AM
It probably would be him, Vanderjagt or one in the Draft. I personally was hoping for Crosby, but Mare is also a good signing. At least he is younger than Carney ;)

BiggerFoot
04-04-2007, 09:24 AM
He is solid on Kickoffs and is has pretty good range over 50 yards, made his last nine kicks last year

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Nice deal for the Saints. Carney is retiring, and Mare is better than any of our other options (Vanderjagt or a late round rookie).

We probably would have had to draft Crosby with our second rounder in order to get him. A kicker is just not worth a pick that high.

Acreboy
04-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Actually I don't think it's too much at all. Especially since the Saints could've very well used a late round pick on a Kicker anyway in the Draft.This guys got like maybe 4 years left though...

He was going to be cut anyway too...

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-04-2007, 11:58 AM
This guys got like maybe 4 years left though...

He was going to be cut anyway too...

What are the chances of whomever our 6th round pick would have been even making the active roster, much less being around in 4 years? We needed a kicker. Mare is a good kicker. So, the Dolphins would have cut him, you say? Who's to know that he would have signed with us? We didn't give up much at all for a proven starting kicker.

Jesus, your lack of knowledge and logic is bewildering.

Sveen
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Carney's agent, Jack Mills, speculated that Carney will likely be granted his release by the Saints.

"John is assessing his position, but it's most likely that he will choose to be someplace else," said Mills, who also said he believes the Saints would allow Carney to leave, even if they don't plan to release him.

Retirement could be a possibility.

Source: http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-30/1175667836171250.xml&coll=1

Sveen
04-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Saints re-signed restricted free agent DT Rodney Leisle to a one-year, $850,000 contract.

Auron
04-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Link (http://neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=3384) It's official Saints released kicker John Carney. He took the time to write a farewell letter to Saints fans and the people of New Orleans.

To the Faithful of New Orleans:

My time of wearing the Fleur de Lis has come to a close. For six seasons, I have been blessed and privileged to represent the most faithful, loyal fans that the NFL has to offer. This was never so evident than during this magical season of 2006. Monday night football will never reach the pitch and purpose it met on the night of September 25th.

New Orleans is a city regaining its strength and swagger, and the Saints are proud to be leading the way. My family and I have been forever imprinted with the style, culture and kindness of the South. Through triumphs and tragedies, the perseverance and integrity of the New Orleans' people is far stronger than politics and hurricanes.

I leave New Orleans a far better man, looking for a team in need of a wrinkled foot, sure to soon be missing great friends of the South, with the knowledge that my taste buds will always yearn for one more Drago's charbroiled oyster!

May God bless the city of New Orleans. Thank ya'll for the support and class you showed me during my Saint's career.

Best wishes and God speed, John Carney #3

Good luck Mr.Carney wherever you go, he is a guy that exudes class. It's a shame most people will remember him for missing the XP in the River City Relay, but other than that one blunder he was actually a pretty accurate kicker throughout his career with the Saints.