PDA

View Full Version : Orakpo vs Gholston

foozball
11-25-2008, 02:58 AM
Similar size guys, both amazing workout freaks.

Gholston measured out 6'3 266lbs

Orakpo looks around 6'3-6'4 255-260lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0&feature=related

who's the better physical speciman? the better athlete?

who's the better football player and the better prospect?

eaglesalltheway
11-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Personally I like Rak more as a player and prospect. But honestly, since I don't focus on how prospects look with their shirts off;), I can not comment with 100% certainty on each as a specimen, but I bet it is real close.

wicket
11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
I honoustly think gholston is better physically but orakpo will be the better player.

katnip
11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I honoustly think gholston is better physically but orakpo will be the better player.

Even tho I'm a Jets fan. From what I've seen, yes

josh07039
11-25-2008, 10:08 AM
I honoustly think gholston is better physically but orakpo will be the better player.I think this will probably end up being the consensus, but I will say Gholston has shown a desire to learn, seeking out the real LT's help. With a tutor like LT, there is no telling how much he could improve.

Mr. Stiller
11-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I think Orakpo is more agile allowing him the ability to be better in a 3-4. I thought Gholston looked stiff and should've been more in a 4-3..

That said had he fallen to Pittsburgh I would've say take him.

eazyb81
11-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Gholston is much better athlete; Orakpo is freakishly strong, but I don't expect him to tear up the combine like Gholston did. Also, Orakpo is a better fit as a 4-3 end, while Gholston is more of a tweener.

Orakpo should be a decent NFL DE, but I think he's way overrrated at this point. The fact that there's talk of him being a top three pick shows that this draft is ridiculously weak at the top.

keylime_5
11-25-2008, 11:03 AM
I think Orakpo is more agile allowing him the ability to be better in a 3-4. I thought Gholston looked stiff and should've been more in a 4-3..

That said had he fallen to Pittsburgh I would've say take him.

that is what I've felt since the beginning of Vern's junior season. Gholston I think would be better off in a 4-3. Orakpo is more fluid in the hips, he will work better in a 3-4. I think both will be good.

regoob2
11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I think Orakpo is a better athlete and is quicker and smoother. Gholston has stupid power though.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-25-2008, 11:08 AM
IMO Orakpo is a better prospect and a better natural athlete. Gholston is a weight room athlete.

Zyro_1014
11-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Gholston is a weight room athlete.

yeah and that doesnt always translate to the football field.

Its gonna take Gholston a couple years..

Don Vito
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
There is no disputing that they are both freaks. I think Orakpo is a lot smoother and very strong but Gholston has that freakish power and if he refines his technique he will be a force. I think Orakpo is a better all around football player with a ton of potential but if Gholston ever reaches his full potential he will be scary, but Orakpo will be less of a project.

SenorGato
11-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I actually don't think there's too much difference in their games at all...Orakpo isn't some super smooth athlete...his injury history IMO tells me he's not as loose an athlete as given credit for...or at least I don't think it's crazy to guess that.

Orakpo is at least partially a product of shiny new toy syndrome...he's this years Gholston (huge workout warrior with high upside)...but slightly older and with an injury history. How significant those two negatives are will play out over time.

LonghornsLegend
11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Orakpo should be a decent NFL DE, but I think he's way overrrated at this point. The fact that there's talk of him being a top three pick shows that this draft is ridiculously weak at the top.

Decent? I'd love to know what makes him overrated though, outside of injury concerns what doesn't he do well enough for you? His skills translate to the football field, it's not just like he's fast and strong but doesn't know how to make plays on the field.

His motor is alot higher then Gholston, and Orakpo has never been considered 'lazy' ur 'unmotivated' which people have been calling Gholston for some time now.

SenorGato
11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
People can call Gholston lazy and unmotivated all they want...lazy and unmotivated people don't become top 10 picks in the NFL 5 years or so into their football careers....nor do they workout like he did...nor do they set records as a pass rusher at a major college program.

Stuff like that is just noise unless the guy is actually lazy.

PACKmanN
11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
People can call Gholston lazy and unmotivated all they want...lazy and unmotivated people don't become top 10 picks in the NFL 5 years or so into their football careers....nor do they workout like he did...nor do they set records as a pass rusher at a major college program.

Stuff like that is just noise unless the guy is actually lazy.

um or it can mean that he was motivated for the money his finally year.

eazyb81
11-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Decent? I'd love to know what makes him overrated though, outside of injury concerns what doesn't he do well enough for you? His skills translate to the football field, it's not just like he's fast and strong but doesn't know how to make plays on the field.

When you look at DEs that were picked in the top three/five, they have elite production and/or are freakish athletes. Orakpo's production this year is very good, but not eye-popping, and he didn't do much until this season, his 5th year in the Texas system. Also, while insanely strong, no one will put him in the freak athlete category with Peppers, Mario, or even Gaines Adams. Basically he's just benefitting from a weak draft class.

Again, I don't hate him or think he's a bad prospect, but he should be more of a mid-1st round guy to me, rather than a potential top three pick.

Gchu83
11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Also, while insanely strong, no one will put him in the freak athlete category with Peppers, Mario, or even Gaines Adams. Basically he's just benefitting from a weak draft class.

Again, I don't hate him or think he's a bad prospect, but he should be more of a mid-1st round guy to me, rather than a potential top three pick.

515 Bench
385 Power Clean
600 Squat
4.6 Forty
42 inch vertical

If that doesn't put him in the freak athlete category, I don't know what does.

eazyb81
11-25-2008, 01:38 PM
515 Bench
385 Power Clean
600 Squat
4.6 Forty
42 inch vertical

We'll see what he does at the combine. The strength numbers are legit, but I seriously doubt he'll run a 4.6 40. No one has predicted that he'll run that fast. Even if he did, look at what Peppers and Mario did at the combine despite the fact that they're both larger than Orakpo.

Menardo75
11-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Orakpo. He is a way better football player and not just a guy with raw athletic talent and no motor.

katnip
11-25-2008, 06:20 PM
515 Bench
385 Power Clean
600 Squat
4.6 Forty
42 inch vertical

Umm, where did those come from. Just wondering.

CC.SD
11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I think the real question is, why is Vernon Gholston so BAD at football?

Paranoidmoonduck
11-25-2008, 07:05 PM
From what I've seen, Gholston is probably the better physical specimen, although not by all that much. And while I haven't had the chance to see a whole lot of Orakpo's film, what I have seen has looked a lot more promising than Gholston's did to me last year.

Bengals78
11-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Orakpo is a football player who is freakishly athletic and strong.
Gholston is a guy who is freakishly athletic and strong who plays football.
Just my interpretation

keylime_5
11-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Gholston looked like he wasn't on the field some games his junior year at Ohio State. Some games (michigan, wisconsin, kent, and LSU most notably) he was an absolutely unblockable monster. OLB is harder to get used to especially when you aren't a perfect fit there in the NFL, plus I don't think having Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace keeping him low on the depth chart helps with his development. Orakpo seems to play as hard as Vern did against LSU all the time, not just certain games or plays, but his injury history might be a flag. Orakpo I think is less a risk, but their potentials are both really high. Remember Gholston did have a few 3 sack games and had 14 in all last year and was really good against some great tackles - the guy at wisconsin, jake long, and LSU's O-Line in the NC.

SenorGato
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
um or it can mean that he was motivated for the money his finally year.

Then why isn't every prospect given this knock? Especially guys like Chris Long and Orakpo who have their best seasons in their senior years?

And what about the 8 sacks he had as a sophomore would be....what? Evidence that he knew his big payday would come because he's good at what he was doing? Isn't that...everyones...thing?

SenorGato
11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
When you look at DEs that were picked in the top three/five, they have elite production and/or are freakish athletes. Orakpo's production this year is very good, but not eye-popping, and he didn't do much until this season, his 5th year in the Texas system. Also, while insanely strong, no one will put him in the freak athlete category with Peppers, Mario, or even Gaines Adams. Basically he's just benefitting from a weak draft class.

Exactly.

3 things leading to Orakpo's rise:

1. Texas' winning season.

2. His most productive season.

3. That early season article that pumped his workout numbers.

The guys a pretty sick player and athlete, but I think the fact that he's a 5th year senior with an injury history gets ignored. It's not even like he hasn't been injured this year either...

Guys a pretty sick talent...but theres alot to distrust about his early season hype.