PDA

View Full Version : Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor

katnip
11-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor

^^^ Who would you rather build around (I picked a front 7 guy on purpose). Me I'd take White. Because he dominated when there was pretty much no guessing on what he would do. And he still put up monster numbers.

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 02:29 PM
umm is this even a question? LT!

Bruce Banner
11-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Poll.

LT's drug problems would actually be an issue these days.

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 02:34 PM
great reasoning! Ur name is even better!

seriously, LT is prolly the best Defensive PLayer ever. There is no way Reggie White is better

katnip
11-25-2008, 02:35 PM
David "Deacon" Jones wouldn't say so...

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Good for Deacon

katnip
11-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Good for Deacon

I know... Right

Babylon
11-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I would have liked to have seen that poll include:

LT
Joe Green
Reggie White
Dick Butkus

MetSox17
11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
For one game, in their prime, give me Lawrence Taylor. If i cared about the reputation of my team and franchise, and i was building for 8+ years, then i guess i'd take Reggie.

But Lawrence Taylor is the scariest player to ever get on the field on defense, so he gets my vote.

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
umm i thought Dick Butkus was a LB and he is talking about DEs

katnip
11-25-2008, 02:40 PM
I would have liked to have seen that poll include:

LT
Joe Green
Reggie White
Dick Butkus

Just had those 2 on my mind from what my brother said.

awfullyquiet
11-25-2008, 02:43 PM
For one game, in their prime, give me Lawrence Taylor. If i cared about the reputation of my team and franchise, and i was building for 8+ years, then i guess i'd take Reggie.

But Lawrence Taylor is the scariest player to ever get on the field on defense, so he gets my vote.

this is true.

i vote to kick the OP of the island. and most da u fans.

duckseason
11-25-2008, 02:43 PM
umm i thought Dick Butkus was a LB and he is talking about DEs
LT was an OLB

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
yea but more of an pass rusher really where as Butkus was a MLB afair

CashmoneyDrew
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Reggie White was a beast. Never saw LT play really so I say RW.

MetSox17
11-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Never saw LT play really so I can't really make a sound judgment and i will recuse myself from this poll.

Fixed it for you.

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Reggie White was a beast. Never saw LT play really so I say RW.
thats horrible logic. Ive never seen Unitas play so id say Brees is a better QB

ChezPower4
11-25-2008, 03:19 PM
No brainer LT, he's one of the best defensive player ever period.

Go_Eagles77
11-25-2008, 03:31 PM
No brainer LT, he's one of the best defensive player ever period.

And Reggie White isn't?

Crickett
11-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Lawrence Taylor. But IMO, its very close.

princefielder28
11-25-2008, 03:36 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g241/J-MAN608/reggieandbrett.jpg

GB12
11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Reggie White.

I'd rather have a dominant DE than LB.

scottyboy
11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Reggie White.

why? a dominant DE can stuff the run and rush the passer.

A dominant LB'er can cover, rush the passer and shut down the run. Gimme LT all day, every day. His presence alone is scary, let alone his ability and talent. I love White, but this is LT. Greatest defensive player in NFL history

Shane P. Hallam
11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
To build a team around, you start in those trenches and get that dominant DE.

Jughead10
11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Reggie White.

The thing is, LT could have been a dominant DE.

Jughead10
11-25-2008, 03:59 PM

Not in a 3-4 though. That defense is built around the rushbacker and NT.

scottyboy
11-25-2008, 04:00 PM

I understand and partially agree, but LT was like another DE. He did everything a dominant DE does.

TitleTown088
11-25-2008, 04:00 PM

Not really. He's implying he can't produce a valuable opinion based upon his direct knowledge so he'll go with what he actually knows. It actually acceptable logic given the circumstances. Is it correct? Perhaps not, but he's in a sense admitting his logic is not correct and cannot be. I'd be willing to bet you know very little of LT other than what you've been told/ read, most of which comes from people who never saw the so called " best" before LT. How can you definitively say LT was better? You can't. It's all subjective, especially when it comes from someone who never saw the person play because then it is based on someone else's opinion.

Giants boner thread. Next, let's make a thread about recently drafting DE's, they'll get dizzy from blood flow directed to a certain region.

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Not really. He's implying he can't produce a valuable opinion based upon his direct knowledge so he'll go with what he actually knows. It actually acceptable logic given the circumstances. Is it correct? Perhaps not, but he's in a sense admitting his logic is not correct and cannot be. I'd be willing to bet you know very little of LT other than what you've been told/ read, most of which comes from people who never saw the so called " best" before LT. How can you definitively say LT was better? You can't. It's all subjective, especially when it comes from someone who never saw the person play because then it is based on someone else's opinion.

Giants boner thread.
no its not. just because its passable in this situation doesnt make it acceptable logic

scottyboy
11-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Giants boner thread.

you obviously haven't read the other half of the posts coming from packers fans and their Reggie White boners.

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
besides Katenip seems to be a boys fan

TitleTown088
11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
you obviously haven't read the other half of the posts coming from packers fans and their Reggie White boners.

Packers fans essentially are hooked up to an IV of football boner meds 24/7, one mention of the number 4 or Super Bowl XXXI and we're six to noon.

besides Katenip seems to be a boys fan

So...?

Zyro_1014
11-25-2008, 04:14 PM
it would be hard to choose one of them, obviously they were both great playere but im takin LT due to the ability to take over a game.

Bruce Banner
11-25-2008, 04:15 PM
White, and making that choice wasn't hard for me.

1. Drug issues
2. Me valuing the trenches more than LBs
3. My hatred for the Giants

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 04:18 PM
so it wasnt intended to be a boner thread. lately all threads turn into Giants/Dallas/Falcon threads

Crickett
11-25-2008, 04:22 PM

If it was anyone else, I'd probably say Reggie. Because teams should start in the trenches. But LT was a guy opposing coordinators had to plan their entire strategy around.

Ok, I'd probably take Butkus ahead of Reggie. But only those two.

Im_a_Romosexual
11-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Reggie White:

Pass rushing
Run stuffing
Leadership

TitleTown088
11-25-2008, 04:24 PM
so it wasnt intended to be a boner thread. lately all threads turn into Giants/Dallas/Falcon threads Eventually all threads turn into one big boner.

Also, that doesn't change the fact that there are huge LT boners. Everywhere.
A bit of minister of defense wood too.

However, my question is this. If the Giants draft world-class DE's like Derrek Thomas finds baby mamas, how did they miss White in the first place?

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Eventually all threads turn into one big boner.

Also, that doesn't change the fact that there are huge LT boners. Everywhere.
A bit of minister of defense wood too.

However, my question is this. If the Giants draft world-class DE's like Derrek Thomas finds baby mamas, how did they miss White in the first place?
i dont get what u want...every person is a homer

TitleTown088
11-25-2008, 04:32 PM
i dont get what u want...every person is a homer

I think that's what I wanted. We're all huge homers, some bigger than others.

scottyboy
11-25-2008, 04:34 PM

1. Drug issues

1. yea, he did coke. ok, cool. we get it. he wasn't a saint.

2. LT pretty much WAS a trench player, even as an OLB. plus, playing in the 3-4, as Jug mentioned, the rushbacker is just as important as a 4-3 DE.

3. Cool, any reason why? other than apparently we collectively have a bad rap on here? (not me, I'm expected to be a homer... :D)

locseti
11-25-2008, 04:40 PM

Umm he smoked crack on gameday.....

Menardo75
11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Much rather build around a guy that dominates the LOS Reggie White.

Bruce Banner
11-25-2008, 04:46 PM

2. LT pretty much WAS a trench player, even as an OLB. plus, playing in the 3-4, as Jug mentioned, the rushbacker is just as important as a 4-3 DE.

3. Cool, any reason why? other than apparently we collectively have a bad rap on here? (not me, I'm expected to be a homer... :D)

1. yeah, what happens when he gets caught these days?
2. what scheme are we building here?
3. Yes. You, #10, Eli, etc.

CashmoneyDrew
11-25-2008, 05:45 PM

It's not horrible logic. The thread is asking me who I'd rather start a franchise with so I gave my opinion based on what I've seen. If I'm a GM in a draft and I've heard great things about two players but have only seen one of them in action, should I not take the one I've seen as opposed to just taking some other peoples word on the other prospect and drafting him?

Turtlepower
11-25-2008, 05:49 PM
It is ****ing LT. Come on now.

But to be serious, they would both be great. It is hard to tell, but I gotta go with the guy who just revolutionized the game.

Mr.Regular
11-25-2008, 06:17 PM
They are my top 2 defensive players ever.
1-LT
2-Reggie

But the question was who would you build around today. And LT's drug problems would have caused major problems and distractions in today's NFL, so Im going with Reggie.

CC.SD
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Yes please.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-25-2008, 07:06 PM
To people saying Reggie because they want someone who plays near the LOS: LT was a 3-4 OLB... meaning he was on the LOS, and rushed the passer frequently, even when he wasn't supposed to. He was essentially a DE, and would have never sniffed OLB in a 4-3, so stop acting like he's Derrick Brooks. He'd be Shawne Merriman on super roids(because roids aren't enough).

http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Shane P. Hallam
11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
To people saying Reggie because they want someone who plays near the LOS: LT was a 3-4 OLB... meaning he was on the LOS, and rushed the passer frequently, even when he wasn't supposed to. He was essentially a DE, and would have never sniffed OLB in a 4-3, so stop acting like he's Derrick Brooks. He'd be Shawne Merriman on super roids(because roids aren't enough).

http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Then the question is pretty silly. As it would depend on my scheme.

Ravens1991
11-25-2008, 07:11 PM
LT. He was so good. He is more versatile to, you could build a scheme getting him plays at DE and any 3 LB positions in a 4-3.

The crazy part is he 1/2 assed it and is still one of the best ever.

PACKmanN
11-25-2008, 07:22 PM
why? a dominant DE can stuff the run and rush the passer.

A dominant LB'er can cover, rush the passer and shut down the run. Gimme LT all day, every day. His presence alone is scary, let alone his ability and talent. I love White, but this is LT. Greatest defensive player in NFL history

really? last time I checked, the Giants didn't win the Superbowl because of there 3 LBs, they won it because of there 3 DEs.

Reggie White was also moved around each spot of the d-line and still dominated.

bigbluedefense
11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
im shocked at how close this poll is.

LT is the greatest defensive player to ever play the game.

White was amazing, but Deacon Jones was the best DE to play the game.

I can go on and on, but theres really no point. Its LT, and its not really close, even as much as I respect White and think hes one of the best ever, its not close.

Only 2 defensive players in NFL history can say they deserve mention in the same sentence as LT

Deacon Jones
Dick Butkus

Butkus was a punishing blitzer too. Ppl forget that. He couldve changed the game if he came on the MIKE blitz every play. He was unstoppable on the blitz, and his game as a LB is well documented.

Jones was the 60s LT. But LT gets the edge bc he changed the game, and was much more versatile.

yourfavestoner
11-25-2008, 07:39 PM

1. Drug issues

Drug issues wouldn't be a problem. The same substance abuse policy that is in effect today was in effect back then. Once LT got caught his second time and suspended for four games, he quit. His drug problems got really bad after he retired.

Also, LT basically was a defensive end. The 3-4 defenses that you see today all pretty much stemmed from the 3-4 Bill Parcells created to best utilize Taylor's talents.

GB12
11-25-2008, 07:44 PM

I can go on and on, but theres really no point. Its LT, and its not really close, even as much as I respect White and think hes one of the best ever, its not close.

Only 2 defensive players in NFL history can say they deserve mention in the same sentence as LT

Deacon Jones
Dick Butkus

Butkus was a punishing blitzer too. Ppl forget that. He couldve changed the game if he came on the MIKE blitz every play. He was unstoppable on the blitz, and his game as a LB is well documented.

Jones was the 60s LT. But LT gets the edge bc he changed the game, and was much more versatile.
I can agree with all of that. However the question was who would you rather build a defense around, for that I'd take Reggie. If the question was who's the better player I'd have to change my vote.

bigbluedefense
11-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Drug issues wouldn't be a problem. The same substance abuse policy that is in effect today was in effect back then. Once LT got caught his second time and suspended for four games, he quit. His drug problems got really bad after he retired.

Also, LT basically was a defensive end. The 3-4 defenses that you see today all pretty much stemmed from the 3-4 Bill Parcells created to best utilize Taylor's talents.

his coverage ability was overlooked bc he was such a devastating pass rusher. LT could cover with the best of em.

Bruce Banner
11-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Look who comes running to an offender's defense. :rolleyes: Jesus ******* christ.

Different times, who knows how he would act in a different environment and such?

bigbluedefense
11-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I can agree with all of that. However the question was who would you rather build a defense around, for that I'd take Reggie. If the question was who's the better player I'd have to change my vote.

understandable.

my personal opinion, if i can start a franchise with any player (both offense and defense) from any era, id take LT over everyone.

Over Unitas, Montana, all of them.

We're never gonna see a defensive player like that ever again.

Madden said it best when he said that LT is the only defensive player in NFL history that could single handedly win a game. He said that you expect that from great quarterbacks, some RBs, some WRs, but you never would think a defensive player would be dominant enough to do that. LT was that dominant.

scottyboy
11-25-2008, 07:49 PM
really? last time I checked, the Giants didn't win the Superbowl because of there 3 LBs, they won it because of there 3 DEs.

last I checked, the Giants in 86 and 91 won the Super Bowl because of their LBs... a duh?

totally different times and teams built for different things, no comparison. at all.

White's amazing, nobody is doubting that. But what LT did was just remarkable. He could cover, rush and stuff the run.

bigbluedefense
11-25-2008, 07:54 PM
_auV_Nydvb0

i could watch his highlights all day <3

he's the reason why i love defensive football.

EvilMonkey
11-25-2008, 08:05 PM
LT. He was so good. He is more versatile to, you could build a scheme getting him plays at DE and any 3 LB positions in a 4-3.

The crazy part is he 1/2 assed it and is still one of the best ever.

White was 6'5" 300 lbs and could be moved inside if need be, coulda been the best 3-4 DE ever if need be. He was just so dominant of a 4-3 end he didnt have to be moved. That doesnt mean he wasnt versatile. And what did LT show other than him being an athletic freak that leads you to believe he could pick up any LB positions and build a scheme around him. He was a dominant pass-rusher but I dont think you can just look at his athleticism and say any defense can be built around him with picking up other positions to play and adapting to them. Never was the sharpest tool in the shed, so i disagree with you just coming out and saying he could pick up all these other positions.

Yeah, you can say that LT revolutionized the game and he did, but guys did eventually adjust to him and his stats did go down as the game evolved to him. You could not adjust to Reggie White. He didnt revolutionize the game or anything, he just freaking dominated it in a way that couldnt be stopped.
The guy played in the USFL for 2 years too which people forget about. He woulda had like 225 sacks if he had played in the NFL those 2 years. In 1987 he had 21 sacks in 12 games for god's sake.

Guys got bigger and 240lb LT wasnt dominant anymore. Reggie White in his prime could play right now and get 15 sacks guaranteed. LT would too but White's prime seemed to last about 15 years. My choice is Reggie White to build a team around, if it was like a 5 year period i'd take LT but White wins for me due to his longevity.

scottyboy
11-25-2008, 08:16 PM
White was 6'5" 300 lbs and could be moved inside if need be, coulda been the best 3-4 DE ever if need be. He was just so dominant of a 4-3 end he didnt have to be moved. That doesnt mean he wasnt versatile. And what did LT show other than him being an athletic freak that leads you to believe he could pick up any LB positions and build a scheme around him. He was a dominant pass-rusher but I dont think you can just look at his athleticism and say any defense can be built around him with picking up other positions to play and adapting to them. Never was the sharpest tool in the shed, so i disagree with you just coming out and saying he could pick up all these other positions.

Yeah, you can say that LT revolutionized the game and he did, but guys did eventually adjust to him and his stats did go down as the game evolved to him. You could not adjust to Reggie White. He didnt revolutionize the game or anything, he just freaking dominated it in a way that couldnt be stopped.
The guy played in the USFL for 2 years too which people forget about. He woulda had like 225 sacks if he had played in the NFL those 2 years. In 1987 he had 21 sacks in 12 games for god's sake.

Guys got bigger and 240lb LT wasnt dominant anymore. Reggie White in his prime could play right now and get 15 sacks guaranteed. I dont think LT could. He'd still be a great 3-4 OLB but White was an absolute monster while LT was an athletic freak who was ahead of his time. My choice is Reggie White.

That doesn't make sense. guys can possibly adjust to LT, but not White? huh? LT had the athletic and physical prowess to do basically whatever he wanted. Was White an animal everywhere on the DL? damn right. But LT through out his years was excelled in every part of the game. You couldn't run at his side, throw at him, and you damn well couldn't stop him rushing the passer. White was dominant yes, no doubt, but LT could do so much more as an entire package. He took games over and could win them like a QB or RB could. He was a playmaker on D.

could you honestly gurantee 15 sacks now for White? cool. and maybe LT couldn't, quite possibly because as a LINEBACKER he would drop back in coverage. LT was as smart as he needed to be. In today's game he could be a 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, and honestly, I think he could play 4-3 OLB. He was athletic and strong enough to be a 4-3 MLB.

Ravens1991
11-25-2008, 08:29 PM
I believe Joe Gibbs had this quote about LT.

"I would line up 2 TE to his side, and still run it the other way"

very interesting at how truely dominant LT was.

Ravens1991
11-25-2008, 08:31 PM

Guys got bigger and 240lb LT wasnt dominant anymore. Reggie White in his prime could play right now and get 15 sacks guaranteed. LT would too but White's prime seemed to last about 15 years. My choice is Reggie White to build a team around, if it was like a 5 year period i'd take LT but White wins for me due to his longevity.

from seeing him play and how he could stuff the run just w/ the best of them and cover as well. Along w/ his freak athletic ability I think he could be a fine LB as well.

Obviously you cant go wrong w/ either, I see what you mean about Reggie. I would just take LT.

TimD
11-25-2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7PU8op-YKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLRrjtmBno

Reggie White is Number 2 and Lawrence Taylor is Number 3 in this list. Deacon Jones is obviously (and rightfully) Number 1.

They say Taylor had an advantage because he was a linebacker who could roam freely while White had to flat out beat or power through guys from a down position. They also say that Parcells moved Taylor against the weakest blockers whenever he could. I'm not saying he was better or worse I'm just relaying some of the facts presented in these videos for those of you that don't feel like watching 6-8 min of youtube. (and yes I know I can just put the videos in my post but I actually like just having the option to follow the link or just scroll past a shorter post)

I personally feel that LT would be better to pick but in terms of a full career it has to be White. On and off the field he was every coaches dream. So my vote is split?

TimD
11-25-2008, 08:56 PM
That brings me to another similar question. Who is the most dominant pass rusher of all time. Jones, White, or LT? If you read my above post you know who I think wins that debate. Throw any other guys you feel that is (sorta) worthy of being in this discussion.

Ravens1991
11-25-2008, 09:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7PU8op-YKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLRrjtmBno

Reggie White is Number 2 and Lawrence Taylor is Number 3 in this list. Deacon Jones is obviously (and rightfully) Number 1.

They say Taylor had an advantage because he was a linebacker who could roam freely while White had to flat out beat or power through guys from a down position. They also say that Parcells moved Taylor against the weakest blockers whenever he could. I'm not saying he was better or worse I'm just relaying some of the facts presented in these videos for those of you that don't feel like watching 6-8 min of youtube. (and yes I know I can just put the videos in my post but I actually like just having the option to follow the link or just scroll past a shorter post)

I personally feel that LT would be better to pick but in terms of a full career it has to be White. On and off the field he was every coaches dream. So my vote is split?

Thats a smart idea. I remember Mike Golic said they would move Reggie infront of what ever o-lineman looked the most scared when they saw Reggie. Both are very versatile and very good. you cant go wrong w/ either.

Iamcanadian
11-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Comparing players is really a wate of time. I've seen them all since the 50's but they all played under different rules so again how do you compare them. If Jones played today, he'd have to change his whole game because they outlawed his primary move which was a slap to the head of the OT. LT was absolutely dominating but who knows at what point drugs became a problem for him. He was unstoppable when he was healthy. That spelled U N S T O P A B L E. White was also an extremely dominating player so how do you seperate them. It's practically impossible and is all subjective.

EvilMonkey
11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
That doesn't make sense. guys can possibly adjust to LT, but not White? huh? LT had the athletic and physical prowess to do basically whatever he wanted. Was White an animal everywhere on the DL? damn right. But LT through out his years was excelled in every part of the game. You couldn't run at his side, throw at him, and you damn well couldn't stop him rushing the passer. White was dominant yes, no doubt, but LT could do so much more as an entire package. He took games over and could win them like a QB or RB could. He was a playmaker on D.

could you honestly gurantee 15 sacks now for White? cool. and maybe LT couldn't, quite possibly because as a LINEBACKER he would drop back in coverage. LT was as smart as he needed to be. In today's game he could be a 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, and honestly, I think he could play 4-3 OLB. He was athletic and strong enough to be a 4-3 MLB.

didnt mean that guys could adjust to LT to necessarily stop him, but later on in his career teams adjusted and were able to slow him a bit. He was still the most dominant guy on the field but teams kinda figured out a way to limit him a bit. White couldnt be stopped which is why his longevity was so much longer. He just flat out bullrushed anyone and you couldnt do anything. You can't adjust a scheme when a guy is beating you based on pure power. He had enough speed to back it up as well to make plays outside the box and just beating guys off the line. You couldnt run at him at all. I dont see what part of his game wouldnt translate to today's game which would prevent him from being just as dominant.

I didnt say LT couldnt get 15 sacks if he played today. He definitely could as a rushbacker in his prime (If Joey Porter can get it this year, LT could easily get 20 if he was in Porter's place) . My point was that Reggie's prime was longer due to his just monstrous power and not being so dependent on freakish athleticism.

Like I said before, if I'm taking a guy and building a team for 5 years, it's LT no question. Anything longer than that and I want Reggie White.

side note: How about I just run a 3-4 and put reggie at end and LT at OLB on the same side??

illmatic74
11-25-2008, 09:33 PM
I am still not sure who to choose between Taylor and White. But let me bring Strahan into the conversation. He has to be in all time best passrusher/defensive end discussion. All 3 of their careers started after the 1978 rule changes. But Strahan's whole career took place in the post west coast offense era. An era with 3 step drops and short passes.

MetSox17
11-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I think we all know who Joe Theismann would vote for.

Crickett
11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
didnt mean that guys could adjust to LT to necessarily stop him, but later on in his career teams adjusted and were able to slow him a bit. He was still the most dominant guy on the field but teams kinda figured out a way to limit him a bit. White couldnt be stopped which is why his longevity was so much longer. He just flat out bullrushed anyone and you couldnt do anything. You can't adjust a scheme when a guy is beating you based on pure power. He had enough speed to back it up as well to make plays outside the box and just beating guys off the line. You couldnt run at him at all. I dont see what part of his game wouldnt translate to today's game which would prevent him from being just as dominant.

I didnt say LT couldnt get 15 sacks if he played today. He definitely could as a rushbacker in his prime (If Joey Porter can get it this year, LT could easily get 20 if he was in Porter's place) . My point was that Reggie's prime was longer due to his just monstrous power and not being so dependent on freakish athleticism.

Like I said before, if I'm taking a guy and building a team for 5 years, it's LT no question. Anything longer than that and I want Reggie White.

side note: How about I just run a 3-4 and put reggie at end and LT at OLB on the same side??

Then the other team would run every play to the other side. All the time.

CashmoneyDrew
11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I think we all know who Joe Theismann would vote for.

Tom Brady would vote for Bernard Pollard.

TimD
11-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Tom Brady would vote for Bernard Pollard.

Just like Bledsoe votes for Mo Lewis!!

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/1719990.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F10692FFBF1D89B368D3 5A5397277B4DC33E

Jughead10
11-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Giants won 2 Super Bowl on the strength of their LBers while playing a 3-4.

djp
11-26-2008, 03:53 AM
I love Reggie White, he was a great player and god bless his soul, but Lawrence Taylor is the choice here. More versatile. I could do more things with him on defense.

awfullyquiet
11-26-2008, 10:35 AM
See. If it was today? I'd pick Reggie White. In a fantasy universe. I'd pick LT any day of the week.

Reggie was the dependable destructive defensive end who I'd want in my clubhouse.

LT, I'm really honestly surprised with the duration of intensity he played. He COULD have played DE on a 4-3, in my mind they're both DE's (seeing as some DE's can play pass coverage sometimes, some LB's are better lined up closer to the line). He wouldn't last a minute though in the NFL today in it's current state, i'm not even talking players, he could be competitive in the NFL today, but, he'd be killed by drugs and the general officiating structure of the NFL.

Reggie White is more relevant.

PACKmanN
11-27-2008, 01:53 PM

Deacon Jones
Dick Butkus

no Ray Nitschke???

Aftermath
11-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Lawrence Taylor.

He was a man amongst boys, and he wasnt even 40.

dhoe20
11-28-2008, 02:21 AM
LT... No brainer. You could've put him on the Lions today and they would've held the titans to 14 points.

Gay Ork Wang
11-28-2008, 02:22 AM
More like 0

Bruce Banner
11-28-2008, 02:23 AM
LT... No brainer. You could've put him on the Lions today and they would've held the titans to 14 points.

I doubt this.

LonghornsLegend
11-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Better player? LT. You take Reggie White if you want to start building a team.

dhoe20
11-28-2008, 02:28 AM
More like 0

Okay, seven. We forgot that the Lions still let the other team score points even when they're on offense.

How would Reggie White make more of an impact building a team than LT would? LT was unstoppable and was a major part of the Giants franchise when they were rebuilding...

Kurve
11-28-2008, 03:09 AM
I think you have to give it to Reggie.....LT was a freak one of the best defenders to ever play but what i have a problem is that the stat that really highlighted both of their careers is the SACK! Now LT was playing a unconventional defense at the time 3-4 OLB which usually gets his sacks from being unblocked or against a running back there is always deception involved with the scheme your screwing with the QB and lineman on which player will be coming with the blitz. As for Reggie he played a conventional 4-3 DE which pretty much is as straight forward as u can get he had to beat Tackles and Double Teams to get his sacks there was no deception so he got it from technique and brute strength rather then scheme. To top it off he also held the sack record for some time is currently second on that list.

Hollywood
11-28-2008, 03:35 AM
Great poll question and interesting results. You have one of the all time great DEs vs. an all time great LB. 9 out of 10 people will take a great DE over a great LB, yet the LB is still winning.

Goes to show what an impact LT had on the game and just how truly dominant he was at his position; especially he is at a position most 'draftniks' would NEVER consider taking #1 overall. DE is in the conversation though for the top pick if you are dominant enough.

Dam8610
11-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm surprised how much everyone favors LT here. Honestly, I believe it's a no brainer in the other direction. Both are amazing pass rushers, Taylor probably moreso, but there's not enough of a dropoff in taking White in that category to make Taylor worth it based on that alone, so other factors have to be considered. What scheme am I playing? If it's a 3-4, of course I'm taking LT, he's the rushbacker of every QB's nightmares, but I tend to favor 4-3 schemes, at which point Reggie White's versatility makes it impossible not to choose him. The man could dominate at 3 of the 4 DL positions in a 4-3, offering a level of flexibility every DC wants, and something LT could not provide, as he'd simply be a DE in any 4-3 scheme (MAYBE he could work as a LB in a blitz-heavy scheme ala Jim Johnson). I don't think you could go wrong either way, though, whichever one you pick, just play the scheme best suited to their abilities.

Dam8610
11-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Great poll question and interesting results. You have one of the all time great DEs vs. an all time great LB. 9 out of 10 people will take a great DE over a great LB, yet the LB is still winning.

Goes to show what an impact LT had on the game and just how truly dominant he was at his position; especially he is at a position most 'draftniks' would NEVER consider taking #1 overall. DE is in the conversation though for the top pick if you are dominant enough.

If Lawrence Taylor (as he was in 1981) was in the upcoming draft class, he'd likely be the #1 overall prospect, and considered a LB/DE tweener. Pass rushers are always coveted, be they as a 3-4 rushbacker or as a 4-3 DE, and LT could have filled either role, and be great at it.

Gay Ork Wang
11-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Did LT play in a 3-4?

Dam8610
11-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Did LT play in a 3-4?

Yes, he's the most dominant rushbacker of all-time. Remember, the Giants teams he played on had Parcells as head coach with Belichick as DC, at least in the early years.

PackerLegend
11-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Reggie White gives me boners, how I wish he was still alive and playing for the Pack today. :(

Dam8610
11-30-2008, 11:21 AM
I love Reggie White, he was a great player and god bless his soul, but Lawrence Taylor is the choice here. More versatile. I could do more things with him on defense.

LT MORE versatile? How so? In the 2 most popular NFL defensive alignments, I can think of 2 positions LT can play (3-4 rushbacker, 4-3 DE), whereas I can think of at minimum 3 (4-3 DE, 4-3 UT, 3-4 DE), maybe even up to 5 (3-4 NT rush specialist, 3-4 rushbacker) positions Reggie White can play. 3-4 rushbacker is probably a stretch for Reggie White, but it's no more of a stretch than LT playing any position other than 3-4 rushbacker or 4-3 DE.

Gay Ork Wang
11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Why not 4-3 OLB?

bored of education
11-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Derrick Thomas > both :D

luee
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
LT, not even close. Taylor changed the game.