PDA

View Full Version : Does Greg Hardy fall?

foozball
11-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Greg Hardy, talent-wise, is the #1 eligible DE. He's got prototypical size at 6'4 265lbs and runs a prototypical 40 in the 4.6-4.7 range. He's great off the edge and he can defend the run.

However, he's got some serious injury concerns with his foot and there are questions about his attitude and character.

How far will he fall because of those concers, if at all?

Babylon
11-26-2008, 12:39 AM
He might have to come back for another year to put it all together.

RaiderNation
11-26-2008, 01:58 AM
I have him going top 10

Paranoidmoonduck
11-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Yeah, there's definitely the possibility that he'll tumble if he comes out. I honestly have no real idea how the guy will time, and of course we can't know just yet how well he'll interview. Best case scenario, he's the first defensive end off the board. Worst case scenario, he goes top of the second round (unless something catastrophic happens).

ElectricEye
11-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Talent wise, I think he's head and shoulders above everybody else. He does have some very real character concerns though. If he heals up alright and finishes the season strong then I can see him coming out and going quite high. Top 15, best case scenario. His stock is really hard to peg. The injury is a concern, but on the other hand when he has been able to play he's been unblockable. You can forgive some character transgressions for talent, but if he's a chronic injury risk it probably isn't worth the trouble. Interviews will be real big important for him.

Scott Wright
11-26-2008, 05:48 AM
On talent he's a Top 10 pick but he will probably drop due to the durability and character issues.

thule
11-26-2008, 06:28 AM
I haven't watched enough of Hardy to make an adaquet judgement on where he will go on draft day.

But just using the logic and past to determine some stuff...from what I have seen I would be willing to wager a team in the end of the first will take a chance on a player they can afford to take a risk with....or he'll fall into that mid-second range where his talent is worth the investment. Bottomline is players with injury/character concerns in the same package make it hard to take a chance on them.

I'm not going to use this as a example of similar reasons...but I look for him to be similar to an Alan Branch with his draft stock. Someone who is looked at as a top 10 pick at the end of the season...and by the time the draft rolls around your scratching your head wondering how your team that needed a DE didn't draft this guy...character concerns are even a bigger problem now in this draft with the NFL implementing it's new "the team pays" philosophy.

ThePudge
11-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Too many teams need defensive ends to push Hardy too far down, but I think those character problems he has push him below Brian Orakpo, Everette Brown, and Michael Johnson. Still, he's a likely Top 20-25 pick because the defensive end position is in such high demand.

Turtlepower
11-26-2008, 09:20 AM
At the beginning of the season I thought it would be impossible for the Giants to land him, but now it is looking more and more like a possibility. Greg Hardy from a purely football standpoint is still my #1 Draft eligible prospect.

keylime_5
11-26-2008, 09:36 AM
I think Orakpo will probably go first and Hardy, Johnson, Brown, Selvie, and Jackson will go after in an impossible order to determine b/c a lot of teams are gonna have different opinions on each one. Jackson will probably be a DE for a 3-4 team if not a 4-3 base end, while Brown and Selvie and Orakpo could play OLB in a 3-4.

giantsfan
11-26-2008, 01:07 PM
At the beginning of the season I thought it would be impossible for the Giants to land him, but now it is looking more and more like a possibility. Greg Hardy from a purely football standpoint is still my #1 Draft eligible prospect.

Hardy's my dream pick for the Gmen although we'll probably have to trade up to the 20-25ish area to have a chance at him, he's just such a beast when he's on the field.

marshallb
11-26-2008, 01:24 PM
He may fall, but I don't see him falling outside the top 20-25.

ChezPower4
11-26-2008, 01:30 PM
If he can play standing up as OLB then i think that he's a top 15 pick. Although the injuries are something that you can't ignore but I don't see that really affecting his draft stock.

Don Vito
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
He needs to come back for his senior year. As turtlepower said he has all the talent in the world but he needs to stay healthy for a whole year, if he does that and has no off the field issues I think he could go top 5.

SenorGato
11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
If he does fall, he's a steal. Dude is the most talented DE in this draft.

I think he can be a pretty good OLB prospect if teams are looking at him that way. I'm half guessing, but doesn't Ole Miss use him alot like the Terps used Merriman?

I'll answer that myself...no. But he does stand up once in a while.

Scott Wright
11-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Hardy probably would be better off going back to school for another year but considering the issues he's had at Ole Miss my guess is he'll bolt.

I am a huge fan of his though. Perhaps #1 DE in the draft huge.

Monomach
11-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Right now, I'd rate the top DEs like this:
Top 5- Orakpo

Top 15- Johnson, Hardy, Brown

1st round- Selvie, Jackson

In that order. If his foot isn't looking fantastic come draft time, Brown could go before him. Anyway, I think he'll be fine. He'll go in the top 15, get a big contract, and perform well. Everyone lives happily ever after.

11-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Whether it’s injury related or not he can at times completely disappear from games however when he’s on you’d be hard pressed to find a more dominating edge rusher. Add in these character issues that pushes him to at least the mid-first if not later which is still too much of an uncertainty at this stage given the high premium for pass rushers. Talent - wise he’s neck and neck with Orakpo, imo, but when you factor in all the other stuff that slots him somewhere in the 3 - 4 range among eligible defensive ends behind Orakpo, Brown and possibly Johnson.

Don Vito
11-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Whether its injury related or not he can at times completely disappear from games however when hes on youd be hard pressed to find a more dominating edge rusher. Add in these character issues that pushes him to at least the mid-first if not later which is still too much of an uncertainty at this stage given the high premium for pass rushers. Talent - wise hes neck and neck with Orakpo, imo, but when you factor in all the other stuff that slots him somewhere in the 3 - 4 range among eligible defensive ends behind Orakpo, Brown and possibly Johnson.

Whenever he is on the field he makes an impact. He has never been a nonfactor when he is on the field, but the issue has been getting him on the field this year.

STARHEATHER
11-26-2008, 10:16 PM
i dont know if hes the #1 de. hes a very talented player. 2 problems. injuries. and hes had more than fair share of off field issues. i dont think theres any doubt hes gone. i ust dont know if you can afford to risk a high pick on a dude with those two serious issues. ust too many opportunities for either inury or off field problems down the road. on the field hes worth a rd 1 pick. its all the other stuff that makes him not worth the risk.