PDA

View Full Version : Myron Rolle, the Rhodes Scholarship and the Draft

ammandss
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Now that Myron Rolle has been awarded the Rhodes Scholarship, what happens next? I am assuming he will accept the honor and study abroad for two years at Oxford. (I am assuming it since he missed part of the Maryland game for the interview process and his dedication to his studies)

First, does he forego his last year of eligibility? I would assume yes. He already graduated and is just taking graduate courses. I don't see him wasting a year.

Second, does he enter the draft this year and a team can draft his rights and wait two years? This would be the David Robinson option. However, I would think that all teams will be very wary and whether he can maintain his conditioning and how would he be after being out of the game for 2 years. Also, I am not sure if in football you still retain his rights after a year. Even if he is drafted, it would be super late (compared to his talent).

Third, would he wait two year and then enter the 2011 NFL Draft? This seems like the most logical answer and what I think will happen.

If anyone knows what will happen or would like to take a guess, go ahead.

energizerbunny
11-26-2008, 12:28 PM
if he enters the draft, the team that takes him will have his rights for 1 season, after that he re-enters the draft.

Crickett
11-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I'd be wary of drafting him knowing he won't play for a few years. Ive noticed that a year off has done more damage to a player's long term NFL prospects than a severely torn ACL. Just ask Drew Henson and Mike Williams. But truth be tolded, if you have the words "rhodes scholar" and "former NFL player" on your resume when you apply for a job, the first words you're going to hear are "you're hired" 100% of the time.

Matthew Jones
11-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I doubt Rolle gets picked. To me, this is pretty much the same situation as Jeff Samardkamsdlkmask coming out of Notre Dame. I'd say Rolle is a second-round talent but a seventh-round prospect.

ammandss
11-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know what Bill Bradley did? He won the Rhodes Scholarship too and spent a couple years in London. Did he get drafted that year or enter the draft later?

illmatic74
11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
He studied at Oxford then played some basketball in Italy before joining the Knicks.

diabsoule
11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Does anyone know what Bill Bradley did? He won the Rhodes Scholarship too and spent a couple years in London. Did he get drafted that year or enter the draft later?

There's a little tool I like to use called google.

Here's what I found after putting in Bradley's name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bradley

ammandss
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Apparently, Bill Bradley was selected in the 1965 NBA Draft, before he went to Oxford. He was actually selected using a Territorial Pick. This is when you forfeit your first round pick to select a player before the draft from your local region. Territorial picks were removed after the 1965 draft in the NBA.

Well, Bradley went to Oxford and I think he played in the Italian League after he completed his time at Oxford, not concurrently, and then joined the Knicks two years after he was drafted.

** And the Wikipedia article doesn't mention the Draft at all. I did check that before.

ammandss
11-26-2008, 01:00 PM
As EnergizerBunny said, a team only holds the player's draft rights for a year (unless the NFL Commish overrules that). I guess Rolle would enter the 2011 NFL Draft then.

Also, Rolle officially said that he will discuss the NFL future with his family this week before making a decision.

yourfavestoner
11-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Don't you have to be a good football player to get drafted?

Sniper
11-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Don't you have to be a good football player to get drafted?

It looks as if Derrick Williams will get drafted, so no.

Crickett
11-26-2008, 04:38 PM
yes, former nfl player is a major selling point when applying for a real job. :rolleyes:

Rhodes scholar and former nfl player and they don't even ask you a question besides "when can you start".

Pokeys
11-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Myron Rolle is a good football player.

CashmoneyDrew
11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
yes, former nfl player is a major selling point when applying for a real job. :rolleyes:

Maybe not all real jobs, but when it comes to mass media it seems like that's all you need. Emmitt Smiff. Really? Lame.
This is just kind of me blowing off steam.

STARHEATHER
11-26-2008, 10:22 PM
yes and in 6 months hell be forgotten and legends will be born that well remember forever. hed be dumb not to go to school. its his calling. hes not a high pick or a quality nfl safety. not enough. im sure hell be highly succesful in any endeavor as long as it doesnt involve playing in the nfl

SuperKevin
11-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Myron Rolle is smart enough to know that getting an opportunity to be an Oxford educated doctor and helping people is far better than life as a football player.

JLaw45
11-26-2008, 10:41 PM

If you can show that you have good academic credentials then yes, it is a very big selling point. I know from experience talking to schools this season as a recruit. At places like Williams, Amherst, Harvard and Dartmouth and pretty much any school with good academics, alumni connections are extremely tight. The alumni(some of whom played football) love to hire football players, and most of the senior classes at those schools are employed by the end of their junior year. They just walk right into good high paying jobs.

Being a good football player just gets you even more notoriety among the alumni who'll just be more intrigued. If you can just show a 3.0 GPA or higher, you'll be set.
If you can do all of this and get to the NFL, then you've got yourself a great meal ticket.

STARHEATHER
11-26-2008, 10:44 PM
doctor better than playing in the nfl. i think not. myron rolle in nfl i think not

SuperKevin
11-26-2008, 10:44 PM
I'd be wary of drafting him knowing he won't play for a few years. Ive noticed that a year off has done more damage to a player's long term NFL prospects than a severely torn ACL. Just ask Drew Henson and Mike Williams. But truth be tolded, if you have the words "rhodes scholar" and "former NFL player" on your resume when you apply for a job, the first words you're going to hear are "you're hired" 100% of the time.

I don't think Myron Rolle is looking for any sportscaster or car dealership owner jobs. He'll find it incredibly hard to find work as a doctor if he takes time off to play football.

SuperKevin
11-26-2008, 10:45 PM
doctor better than playing in the nfl. i think not. myron rolle in nfl i think not

When was the last time you read about an NFL player successfully performing open heart surgery or removing a cancerous tumor?

Bruce Banner
11-26-2008, 10:48 PM
worst thread ever

STARHEATHER
11-26-2008, 10:49 PM
all i care about is nfl players who win football games. whether they do heart surgery is immaterial. look at ryan fitzpatrick. hes a genius. but he sux so rather than being rspected as genius hes scoffed at. it doesnt matter im sure hell do well. just wont do well at football. you cant put myron rolle out there and expect him to cover randy moss. thats all that really matters

SuperKevin
11-26-2008, 10:50 PM
all i care about is nfl players who win football games. whether they do heart surgery is immaterial. look at ryan fitzpatrick. hes a genius. but he sux so rather than being rspected as genius hes scoffed at. it doesnt matter im sure hell do well. just wont do well at football. you cant put myron rolle out there and expect him to cover randy moss. thats all that really matters

Since when do strong safeties get tasked with playing man coverage on #1 WRs?

STARHEATHER
11-26-2008, 10:54 PM
i dont mean in man .i mean at all. hes obviously not open every play so someones covering him. he is going to have to cover. theres another downside. cant put myron in man or bring polumalu on the blitz cause myron cant cover he needs help all the time. underathletic. doesnt hit. not good in run support. cant cover. need i go on? but im sure hell be a great heart surgeon

JLaw45
11-26-2008, 11:22 PM

Can you elaborate? How is being a Doctor with a Rhodes Scholarship worse than playing in the NFL?

CashmoneyDrew
11-27-2008, 01:32 AM
let me know when a rhodes scholar has to resort to working at espn commenting on the nfl.

I wasn't implying that Rolle was going to resort to being a color commentator. I was just letting off steam about how former players are just handed jobs on a silver platter in that industry. Your comment just kind of reminded me on that and that's why I quoted it.

irishbucsfan
11-27-2008, 05:42 AM
that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard. name 2 jobs where being a "former nfl player" would even be a blip on the radar next to rhodes scholar. can't? that's because it was a ludicrous comment with no basis in reality.

I'm not sure about how it is in the States but over here having an Oxford Blue in something like Rugby is a very useful accomplishment to have on your CV, because it's in conjunction with his obvious academic ability. They know you're smart, but the varsity sport, or in Rolle's case his NFL potential/experience in a few years time, tells them something about your character, your ability to be a team player, your ability to dedicate yourself to something more than just you and put yourself on the line mentally and physically.

It's the combination of the two that's so impressive. I don't think anyone was saying 'former NFL player' by itself would get him jobs that he otherwise wouldn't have been given.

D-Rod
11-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Indeed. I went to Oxford, and that is exactly the case.

It is one thing to get a First (the top degree) without being able to show any outside interests (where the interviewer will assume that one spent the whole time working). It is entirely another to get a First while playing a sport that takes up a huge amount of time and effort (such as rowing for Oxford, or playing college football).

Academic achievement looks much better to the outside eye when it is accompanied by a rounded personality. At the top end of the job market, everyone has a top GPA/degree. The fact that those grades were achieved while having to devote a huge amount of time to something else makes one stand out.

JLaw45
11-27-2008, 01:56 PM
and how in the hell is what goes on at amherst relevant?

It is, along with the other schools I listed, a good example of what can happen between alumni and football players. I just happen to have personal experience there, so I talked about it.

or the alumni from said schools? he goes to florida state, if you missed that boat.

I didn't, thanks.

i don't think the alums there care if he's the best nfl player ever. he's a bloody rhodes scholar. if he rocks med school (or whatever his chosen profession is), "former nfl player" wouldn't even be on his resume.

It is true that being a great football player does help among alumni and with recruiting for jobs. People like the discipline and hard work that football players display regularly. FSU has a massive alumni community, some of whom are without a doubt doing well in life. Many of them have some sort of connection with the football program and will hire former players regularly if they can just show that their grades are decent.

yes, i'm sure there are literally millions of florida state alums who haven't heard of myron rolle right now. especially ones who care about football. :rolleyes:

I didn't even say that. All I said was that being a notable football player with significant accomplishments only increases the amount of recognition you will receive from fans, and quite a large number of those fans are going to be alumni with hiring capacities. Many coaches will help in this area as well. Myron's success on the field has helped him greatly. The more he has, the better. The fact that he even has the potential to go to the NFL is enough already.

yes, i'm sure without playing in the nfl, he'll likely be getting food stamps.

Again, all I'm saying is that normally when one is a great football player with good grades and a decent college career, notoriety increases. A shot at the NFL in conjunction with the college career and solid academic standing looks very good to a lot of employers, especially alumni. For most athletes, it only helps. Granted, Myron is unusually gifted, but even for him it'll be gravy on top of a great dish.

did a single one of you even think BRIEFLY before posting or did you just vomit onto the keyboard and decide that the submit button was just too tempting?

I thought more than just briefly. I'm not sitting here and pulling this out of my rear-end. I saw this phenomenon occur first hand, and since this discussion began to go into that direction I decided to offer an educated opinion on the subject. Granted, Rolle is unique in that he is a Rhodes Scholar and would do extremely well without football either way. The fact that he has it, however, is kind of like gravy. It shows he's just an extremely well rounded, disciplined person, talented enough to make a name for himself as one of the most elite athletes on the planet(a potential NFL draftee, not a very big club) and still earn a Rhodes Scholarship while maintaining fantastic academic standards. At the elite job recruiting level employers love to see that. Like D-Rod said, it makes you stand out.
It matters, and I think I have a valid point here with the experience to back it up. I don't understand why it is that, with regards to my assertion, you are so vocally opposed to the point of hurling out insults.

MetSox17
11-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm surprised the other Myron Rolle thread got deleted.

Anyway, here's my two cents.

No, Myron Rolle does not need the NFL, or anything NFL related on his resume. The NFL at this point is something nice that can be had, but in his case, there's no point in wasting his time in the NFL.

Why in the world would he put off his studies, and leaving from school for 5+ years, and then try to come back and study his ass off to get into med school and do well? It doesn't make any sense at all.

Did anyone listen to his interview on PTI yesterday? He already said that he's leaning towards going through with the Rhodes Scholarship, and go into med school. He's studying medical anthropology, and he's looking to be physician. He will never be hurting financially, so that shouldn't even be in the equation. In fact, i can go as far as to say that he'll live a more comfortable life doing medicine than most NFL players do post-NFL career.

ElectricEye
11-27-2008, 10:56 PM
His earning power is ultimately the same(over time) if he's a world class doctor and the work is probably more rewarding.

If he does go with the NFL route, which he won't, he's still talented player. If he devoted himself to football he could be much better than he is right now. I know it's a bit ignorant to say that, but with the amount of work he puts into his schooling he can't have the time for football most elite players do. He would have to never sleep.

nobodyinparticular
11-29-2008, 05:17 PM
yes and in 6 months hell be forgotten and legends will be born that well remember forever. hed be dumb not to go to school. its his calling. hes not a high pick or a quality nfl safety. not enough. im sure hell be highly succesful in any endeavor as long as it doesnt involve playing in the nfl

There's a little thing called an apostrophe two buttons to the right of your "L" key. You may want to familiarize yourself with it. It seems to be lonely and forgotten. It's just a little mark on the page, but it makes all the difference in the grammatical world.

ammandss
12-02-2008, 09:20 AM
When was the last time you read about an NFL player successfully performing open heart surgery or removing a cancerous tumor?

Robert Smith from the Vikings. Didn't he retire to go to medical school?

STARHEATHER
12-02-2008, 08:30 PM
no he retired and became a commentator on espn or fsn or one of those quite good too. one difference though. smith was actually good. so hes a supergenius. id rather people talk about good football players. so hes smart. id rather have football talent. pays better. easier work. shorter career. alas he doesnt have it. just destined to fade off into oblivion of nobodiness. im sure well see him 20 years from now trying to find ways to pick our pockets to pay for medical anthropology or whatever. who cares.

giantsfan
12-02-2008, 08:41 PM
so hes smart. id rather have football talent. pays better. easier work. shorter career. alas he doesnt have it. just destined to fade off into oblivion of nobodiness. im sure well see him 20 years from now trying to find ways to pick our pockets to pay for medical anthropology or whatever. who cares.

I nominate this for post of the year, this is just briliant.

illmatic74
12-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Myron Rolle had a choice to be an average NFL player or a doctor that could make advances in the medical field that could save lives. I like the choice he made.

iowatreat54
12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the words "Rhodes Scholar" make almost every thing else on his resume irrelevant, unless he's being compared to other Rhodes Scholars. If 95% of companies see those words, he will be offered a job, and there's no need to read "former NFL player". And Rhodes Scholar would open up many more doors than any alumni from most any university would, and even Alumni would prolly rather open those doors because of the Rhodes Scholar label not former player.

CroomDawgs
12-03-2008, 01:57 AM
no he retired and became a commentator on espn or fsn or one of those quite good too. one difference though. smith was actually good. so hes a supergenius. id rather people talk about good football players. so hes smart. id rather have football talent. pays better. easier work. shorter career. alas he doesnt have it. just destined to fade off into oblivion of nobodiness. im sure well see him 20 years from now trying to find ways to pick our pockets to pay for medical anthropology or whatever. who cares.

You...are by far...the biggest MORON...ever. Like ever. I cannot believe this splurge of moronic filth you just wrote.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-03-2008, 12:10 PM

When was the last time you heard a doctor get FOUR TOUCHDOWNS.... IN ONE GAME?

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee271/caldwelljones/AlBundy33.jpg

12-03-2008, 12:26 PM

His options are to either become a great doctor, or get to know one when his football career ends and he's in constant pain.

mqtirishfan
12-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Indeed. I went to Oxford, and that is exactly the case.

It is one thing to get a First (the top degree) without being able to show any outside interests (where the interviewer will assume that one spent the whole time working). It is entirely another to get a First while playing a sport that takes up a huge amount of time and effort (such as rowing for Oxford, or playing college football).

Academic achievement looks much better to the outside eye when it is accompanied by a rounded personality. At the top end of the job market, everyone has a top GPA/degree. The fact that those grades were achieved while having to devote a huge amount of time to something else makes one stand out.

Yes, if it's between a person who went to Oxford, and a person who went to Oxford and played college football in America, football will help. However, the point is that he's not going to be applying for too many jobs where he's going against people with his credentials.

STARHEATHER
12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
im sorry nfl or medical schoool and malpractice suits and loans working for 4 yrs for nothing then peanuts till your 40. im sorry no way no how not a chance doctor rolle

eaglesalltheway
12-05-2008, 09:17 PM
That has got to be post whoring or something, you've said the same thing at least 4 or 5 times in this thread.

12-05-2008, 09:21 PM
im sorry nfl or medical schoool and malpractice suits and loans working for 4 yrs for nothing then peanuts till your 40. im sorry no way no how not a chance doctor rolle

So he's automatically gonna get a malpractice suit? Cool. And he won't need big loans, let's be real here. He's a Rhodes Scholar. If he needs to go beyond that, any school in America would take him and pay all his student fees.

STARHEATHER
12-05-2008, 09:25 PM
i cant say i know the percentages. but people are human and if you practice medicine for any period of time youre going to mess up. got to buy insurance all kinds of stuff. i dont think its a cushy life until you get old

hockey619
12-05-2008, 09:29 PM
He should go to Oxford and screw the NFL. The odds of being a pro athlete are one in 16,000 or something like that. The odds of getting a Rhodes Scholarship, one of the most prestigious awards of academic achievement that you can possibly acquire is like 1 in 10,000,000. And you can make a killing being a doctor if your good. Way way more than you can as a football player.

And a doctor is a more secure job. The odds of getting a career ending injury are way higher than getting sued for malpractice and losing your medical liscense.

illmatic74
12-05-2008, 09:41 PM
He should go to Oxford and screw the NFL. The odds of being a pro athlete are one in 16,000 or something like that. The odds of getting a Rhodes Scholarship, one of the most prestigious awards of academic achievement that you can possibly acquire is like 1 in 10,000,000. And you can make a killing being a doctor if your good. Way way more than you can as a football player.

And a doctor is a more secure job. The odds of getting a career ending injury are way higher than getting sued for malpractice and losing your medical liscense.Also you can save lives and stuff.

mqtirishfan
12-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Wait... Does Starheather think Rolle is going to be like a family doctor? I'd say he's more on the career path of finding cures to things. Also, he got his pre-med degree for free, and is getting his graduate school for free. He's not going to have to pay anything.

iowatreat54
12-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Wait... Does Starheather think Rolle is going to be like a family doctor? I'd say he's more on the career path of finding cures to things. Also, he got his pre-med degree for free, and is getting his graduate school for free. He's not going to have to pay anything.

no, he's obviously going to be that doctor that you go to when you don't have heath insurance or money, like a free clinic doctor...because all Rhodes Scholars I know end up like that, I mean just look at Bill Clinton...

giantsfan
12-06-2008, 01:45 AM

No he thinks Rolle is going to be a vet.

captainjack27
12-06-2008, 05:01 PM

You are so classless it's scary. Come back when you have something knowledgeable to post.

hockey619
12-06-2008, 06:00 PM
But then he'll never be back captainjack. And without his valuable insight, people around here would be calm, civil, and happy to casually discuss the abilities of future NFL players. He gets everybodys blood pumping with frustration. And is very fun to mock and imitate lmfao.

captainjack27
12-06-2008, 09:59 PM
But then he'll never be back captainjack. And without his valuable insight, people around here would be calm, civil, and happy to casually discuss the abilities of future NFL players. He gets everybodys blood pumping with frustration. And is very fun to mock and imitate lmfao.

You're right...what was I thinking??? lol

JLaw45
12-06-2008, 10:04 PM

He's GOT to be joking, right?

Is he joking? Just tell me he is. I don't know if he really and truly is this idiotic and classless or if he's just trying to get a rise out of us. I want to believe the latter, but I'm just never sure and that scares me.

If it is the former, I recommend immediate castration. Society doesn't need any more of these things that call themselves citizens.

captainjack27
12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
He's GOT to be joking, right?

Is he joking? Just tell me he is. I don't know if he really and truly is this idiotic and classless or if he's just trying to get a rise out of us. I want to believe the latter, but I'm just never sure and that scares me.

If it is the former, I recommend immediate castration. Society doesn't need any more of these things that call themselves citizens.

Nope he's dead serious.

To make things easier...here's a video of our beloved starheather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGnfmjKMMU8&feature=related

yourfavestoner
12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
You are so classless it's scary. Come back when you have something knowledgeable to post.

It's classless, yet true.

ljk2171
12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
i cant say i know the percentages. but people are human and if you practice medicine for any period of time youre going to mess up. got to buy insurance all kinds of stuff. i dont think its a cushy life until you get old

1-Did you ever consider people may enjoy doing rewarding work?
2-Considering you probably have never played a sport past little league, you would have no idea that playing in the NFL is not cushy. Nor is it cushy when you get old.
3-Considering the nature of the NFL, something tells me they need to takeout a pretty pricey insurance policy.
4-Neurosurgeons (especially Rhodes Scholars) make more than the NFL minimum....for much longer than the 2 year average NFL career.
5-You are probably 15 and think the world revolves around Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson, someday you will realize that there is life outside of the NFL.
6-The NFL is probably the worst professional league to be a player.

ChezPower4
12-07-2008, 11:21 AM
1-Did you ever consider people may enjoy doing rewarding work?
2-Considering you probably have never played a sport past little league, you would have no idea that playing in the NFL is not cushy. Nor is it cushy when you get old.
3-Considering the nature of the NFL, something tells me they need to takeout a pretty pricey insurance policy.
4-Neurosurgeons (especially Rhodes Scholars) make more than the NFL minimum....for much longer than the 2 year average NFL career.
5-You are probably 15 and think the world revolves around Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson, someday you will realize that there is life outside of the NFL.
6-The NFL is probably the worst professional league to be a player.

Umm you must not watch Boxing, that is by far the worst professional organization. Unless your a world class fighter you don't get paid **** and even if you are a world class fighter you make as much as you should. Promoters for the longest time have been greedy and taking money from the fighter, who by the way make the promoters money. Not to mention that in Boxing the sport involes getting hit in the head thousands of times throughout your career. They get paid to beat the hell out of people and have people beat the hell out of them.

LonghornsLegend
12-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't know why you guys even pay that much attention to Heather, it's obvious he's a troll that post for attention and he has no idea what he's talking about, his opinions are worthless.

giantsfan
12-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't know why you guys even pay that much attention to Heather, it's obvious he's a troll that post for attention and he has no idea what he's talking about, his opinions are worthless.

Heather's not a troll he's just some pre-teen kid, which makes him hilarious.