11-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Evander Hood is someone i would look at, also Demonte Bolden

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Demonte Bolden.

D-Unit
11-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Demonte Bolden.
This is the second mention of him. Please tell me why.

Larry121283
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Pannel Egboh

SenorGato
11-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Corey Wootten...Chris Canty clone.

AkiliSmith
11-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Tyson Jackson
Vince Oghobaase

regoob2
11-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Tyson jackson and Fili Moala are good fits.

D-Unit
11-26-2008, 03:26 PM
How about instead of just names.... Some justifications on why you think them and descriptions of their game. Sheesh! Is this what the new school DC forum has become? Let's get some thoughtful insight pumpin'! Wooo!

MaxV
11-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Penn State's Jared Odrick could be a heck of a 3-4 DE. He's 6'-5" 300lbs, has good strength, long arms and very good athleticism, with various pass-rushing moves.

But he's probably not entering the draft this year.

Solomon
11-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Here's someone I haven't seen alot but his measurables and stats certainly beg some looking into. San Jose State's Jarron Gilbert. 6-5, 280 pounder switched from defensive end to defensive tackle during the 2007 season.

As a soph he played end and had 32 tackles, 7.5 TFL and 5 sacks. As a junior he had 39 tackles, 7.5 TFL and 5 sacks even though he was learning a new position. This year he really emerged as a force at DT; 51 tackles, 9 sacks and a whopping 21.5 TFL.

His father Darin played in the NFl for several seasons too, so you know he's got great bloodlines.

SenorGato
11-26-2008, 03:55 PM
How about instead of just names.... Some justifications on why you think them and descriptions of their game. Sheesh! Is this what the new school DC forum has become? Let's get some thoughtful insight pumpin'! Wooo!

Wootton - 6'7 280...only 21 on Drafty day 22 when the season starts...long arms that'll be great for deflecting passes at the LOS...also those long arms will come in handy to battle the T's and G's he'd have to face as a 3-4 DE....frame offers growth potential obviously as he's only 21, 6'7, and already 280 pounds...a great 3-4 DE prospect...will need a couple years to develop but he'll offer some glimpses early on.

regoob2
11-26-2008, 04:31 PM
How about instead of just names.... Some justifications on why you think them and descriptions of their game. Sheesh! Is this what the new school DC forum has become? Let's get some thoughtful insight pumpin'! Wooo!Fine. :(

Tyson jackson and Fili Moala are good fits.
Both have ideal size. Jackson would be a WDE, Moala SDE. Both have a good first step and are athletic for there size. jackson is good against the run and both can penetrate the LOS. Jackson is more consistent but Id say Moala has more upside.

Pokeys
11-26-2008, 05:09 PM
A Chris Canty clone... damn that doesn't sound good at all.

Cigaro
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Tyson Jackson
Fili Moala
Vince Oghobaase
Evander Hood
Demonte Bolden
Gerald McCoy
Ricky Jean-Francois

Paranoidmoonduck
11-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Tyson Jackson would appear to be a solid choice, although he seems to still prefer rushing the passer to holding lanes, so you might have to deal with a philosophical difference there. He's definitely got the ability.

Vince Oghobaase is an intruiging idea. He's played both the NT and UT positions for Duke pretty well, and while I like him as a UT in the NFL, his height might dictate a better fit being the 5-tech in a 3-4.

Evander Hood is hard to argue with. Of the three guys who I favor the most, he's probably the most ready to step in right away and handle the 3-4 DE spot.

Bruce Banner
11-26-2008, 05:30 PM
usually the OP contributes to the discussion with the....OP.

Helps gets things going, you know?

and I agree with everything paranoid said about TJ. Ideal size and such, and as a great poster once said, he could go #1 overall!11

D-Unit
11-26-2008, 05:47 PM
A Chris Canty clone... damn that doesn't sound good at all.
Chris Canty is having a down year, but playing next to a NT that doesn't command a double team makes it harder for him to make an impact. He's still a pretty decent player.

CashmoneyDrew
11-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Chris Canty is having a down year, but playing next to a NT that doesn't command a double team makes it harder for him to make an impact. He's still a pretty decent player.

Who's been better,Canty or Spears?

D-Unit
11-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Tyson Jackson would appear to be a solid choice, although he seems to still prefer rushing the passer to holding lanes, so you might have to deal with a philosophical difference there. He's definitely got the ability.

Vince Oghobaase is an intruiging idea. He's played both the NT and UT positions for Duke pretty well, and while I like him as a UT in the NFL, his height might dictate a better fit being the 5-tech in a 3-4.

Evander Hood is hard to argue with. Of the three guys who I favor the most, he's probably the most ready to step in right away and handle the 3-4 DE spot.
Sounds like Tyson Jackson would do well under Wade Phillps' attacking 3-4 philosophy.

I haven't seen enough of Vince Oghobaase to get a good feel for the player. I also hear conflicting opinions on whether he'd be a better DE or NT as a player in a 3-4 front.

Ziggy is driving up a lot of hype. But is he an impact player or just another guy in the NFL?

D-Unit
11-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Who's been better,Canty or Spears?
Canty. Hands down. Spears is a bust.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-26-2008, 06:10 PM
I haven't seen enough of Vince Oghobaase to get a good feel for the player. I also hear conflicting opinions on whether he'd be a better DE or NT as a player in a 3-4 front.

Ziggy is driving up a lot of hype. But is he an impact player or just another guy in the NFL?

Oghobaase is definitely a 3-4 defensive end. Anyone who tried to convince you that he's a 3-4 nosetackle should be met with major skepticism.

As for Hood, I see a solid guy but not a huge impact player at a 5-tech. Being a big impact player from that spot is hard enough as it is, and while I think Hood would do his job, I don't see him going above and beyond that very often.

D-Unit
11-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on Arthur Jones?

SenorGato
11-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Vince Oghobaase sounds like the kind of guy who can play any position on the 3-4 DL. He profiles best as an end...the 6'6 thing probably stops any idea that he's a full time 3-4 NT. He's not even built like one anyway....

He's so athletic too...he reminds me of a young Richard Seymour. If he stayed for his senior season and let his hype build a little he'll be a top 10 pick next year.

Two guys who'll get ignored are Dorrell Scott and Daryl Richard. Richard would look great for a 3-4 team IMO.

SenorGato
11-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on Arthur Jones?

Ty Warren clone...great length on him despite "only" being 6'3 or 6'4. He's got room to put on weight and dominate, and like VO I think he should stay in school. He's not the natural talent VO is, but he's high motor, hard working, well built, former wrestler who understands leverage...nothing really not to like...just needs time to develop and it's a question of whether he wants to do it a the NFL level or college level. I'd choose college, but I'm not in that position.

Next years draft class could be '06 good if things break right.

SenorGato
11-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I know it's early for him, but anyone know anything about Simi Fili?

He's got sick size, was a top prospect coming out of HS, and he's related to Haloti Ngata. I haven't seen Oregon at all this year, so anyone know anything else about him?

Smokey Joe
11-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Corey Wootton is not a 3-4 DE. I guess if you have him really bulk up, he could be one, but that would be dumb as hell. Corey Wootton is an excellent pass rusher and can be a force to getting to the QB. With his great size and athleticism, he can also play the run very well. This is why Wootton is a much better fit at LDE in a 4-3 scheme.

STARHEATHER
11-26-2008, 10:11 PM
tyson jackson
# 97 syracuse
jared odrick

SenorGato
11-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Corey Wootton is not a 3-4 DE. I guess if you have him really bulk up, he could be one, but that would be dumb as hell. Corey Wootton is an excellent pass rusher and can be a force to getting to the QB. With his great size and athleticism, he can also play the run very well. This is why Wootton is a much better fit at LDE in a 4-3 scheme.

The guy is 6'7 and weighs 280 pounds at 21. I'm pretty sure he can be whatever the team wants him to be. It's not like he couldn't handle it.

STARHEATHER
11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
isnt arthur jones #97 syracuse? hes a player.

LonghornsLegend
11-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Somebody that is really intriguing is Will Johnson Michigan DE...It's hard to notice guys on that team but at 6'5 285 he should be able to be a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE as a mid-round guy...He reportedly runs a 4.80 40 which is pretty damn fast for a guy his size.

He bench pressed 580, very strong at the point of attack, not going to be the pass rushing 3-4 end that Canty or Seymour is but I think he can provide 4th rd value and be a Phillip Merling type player and improve a teams run defense.

Sniper
11-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Which would be great and all, if, you know, Johnson were good. He redefines the words "average college player".

LonghornsLegend
11-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Which would be great and all, if, you know, Johnson were good. He redefines the words "average college player".

That's usually where you draft those types of players, in rounds 4-5.

Sniper
11-28-2008, 10:41 PM
That's usually where you draft those types of players, in rounds 4-5.

Maybe, but to me, Johnson was the third most impressive DT on the team this year, and one of them was a true freshman.

sbh15
11-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Carlos Dunlap of Florida when he declares could be pretty versatile. Incredibly athletic, and has ridiculous size. 6' 7", 280 lbs. If he runs well, he could slim down and play 3-4 OLB. I don't see him as a 3-4 DE though, because he's too good of a pass rusher to be put in a role where he is there to stop the run.

YAYareaRB
11-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I know it's early for him, but anyone know anything about Simi Fili?

He's got sick size, was a top prospect coming out of HS, and he's related to Haloti Ngata. I haven't seen Oregon at all this year, so anyone know anything else about him?

He ended up going to a JC in Arizona, he's one of my good friends from Utah. Had the size and ability but I guess nothing was going on in the classroom.

SenorGato
11-29-2008, 01:19 PM
He ended up going to a JC in Arizona, he's one of my good friends from Utah. Had the size and ability but I guess nothing was going on in the classroom.

Man that suuuucks...I hope he plans to Terrence Cody it...

TitanHope
11-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Demonte Bolden broke the DL bench press record this past offseason, outdoing previous players like Albert Haynesworth, John Henderson, Justin Harrell, and Shaun Ellis.

Though, he's never been able to perform to his expectations. If I remember correctly, he has trouble maintaining his weight. If he goes high, it'll be because of his versatility and workout numbers. Hopefully the challenge of pro football will instigate him into playing to his potential. 6'5, 290 and with his strength, he has the capability of being a very good 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Possibly even 3-4 NT if he adds weight and maintains it properly.

Smokey Joe
11-29-2008, 03:17 PM
The guy is 6'7 and weighs 280 pounds at 21. I'm pretty sure he can be whatever the team wants him to be. It's not like he couldn't handle it.

I'm a Northwestern fan, and I watch them more then any other team, and Wootton is not 280. If he is 280, he is jacked out of his mind then. I'd say Wootton is more like 6'6"-6'7" and he is a lean 270. He's not bulky at all and is very lean. This year he's been a destructive pass rusher as well as very solid against the run. He's more like Jamaal Anderson, but I like Wootton a lot more.

renegade
11-29-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm a Northwestern fan, and I watch them more then any other team, and Wootton is not 280. If he is 280, he is jacked out of his mind then. I'd say Wootton is more like 6'6"-6'7" and he is a lean 270. He's not bulky at all and is very lean. This year he's been a destructive pass rusher as well as very solid against the run. He's more like Jamaal Anderson, but I like Wootton a lot more.

Where would you say he is going to be drafted?
Judging by his measurables/production along with all the stuff said in this thread he seems like a potential first rounder but your the closest thing we have to an expert...

What do you think?

renegade
11-29-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think that Tyson Jackson should be put into a 3-4 defense. I think he would be a better fit as a LE in a 4-3 defense, similar to Trevor Pryce.

Fili Moala IMO should play at DE in a 3-4 if he is going to have any type of success in the NFL. I think that he could be a Luis Castillo type player in a 3-4.

Smokey Joe
11-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Where would you say he is going to be drafted?
Judging by his measurables/production along with all the stuff said in this thread he seems like a potential first rounder but your the closest thing we have to an expert...

What do you think?

This was his breakout year. The previous 2 years he was a bit of an underachiever and I guess there were some questions about his work ethic. However, this year something lit a fire under him and he has been a monster on the field.

If he came out this year, I think he'd be a 2nd rounder with the possibility for the 1st round depending on how the combine goes. However, I think if he stays for his senior year and if he at least repeats the season he had this year, if not improve on it, he could easily be a first round pick, and maybe even a top 15 pick if he does well at the combine and some team falls in love with him.

He's a prototypicl 4-3 LDE, IMO.

SenorGato
11-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Wootton's projectability has to come into play here...he's one of those guy whose size and athleticism will have many coaches thinking of what can this guy do for me now and in the future. I don't see any reason he can't or wouldn't be drafted by a 3-4 team right now...its just that he probably won't.

His teammate, Gil, isn't a bad candidate for a 3-4 DE either.

Smokey Joe
11-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Wootton's projectability has to come into play here...he's one of those guy whose size and athleticism will have many coaches thinking of what can this guy do for me now and in the future. I don't see any reason he can't or wouldn't be drafted by a 3-4 team right now...its just that he probably won't.

His teammate, Gil, isn't a bad candidate for a 3-4 DE either.

Could he be used in a 3-4? Sure he could, but he's best fit still is in a 4-3. As for Gill, he's a bit short for 3-4 DE, better fit as a 4-3 UT, IMO.

SenorGato
11-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Could he be used in a 3-4? Sure he could, but he's best fit still is in a 4-3. As for Gill, he's a bit short for 3-4 DE, better fit as a 4-3 UT, IMO.

Wootton: Yea, but doesn't mean he doesn't have a high upside in a 3-4. A guy can be more than he is in college, especially when you have Wootton's size.

Gil: True, height can be an issue. Otherwise, I like his ability to take on blockers as well as the motor and athleticism to do a little extra.

Mr. Stiller
11-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Mitch King, though wouldn't be a perfect fit, is a Guy I'd love in rotation.. As a rotational Weaksider and situational strongsider.

Odrick and Arthur Jones, IMO are in the Top tier of 3-4 DE candidates.

Then I'd lean Dorell Scott, Darryl Richard, Demonte Bolden, Vince Oghobaase.

I'll be honest and say I'm not really a fan of Tyson Jackson and Fili Maola.

TACKLE
11-30-2008, 03:19 PM
If Gerald McCoy from Oklahoma declares he is without a doubt the top 3-4 DE prospect in the draft. He has a great frame for the position and has a rare blend for a DT or strength and agility. He can get after the passer and plays the run well.

SenorGato
11-30-2008, 03:36 PM
If Gerald McCoy from Oklahoma declares he is without a doubt the top 3-4 DE prospect in the draft. He has a great frame for the position and has a rare blend for a DT or strength and agility. He can get after the passer and plays the run well.

He, Oghobaase, and Odrick are guys who I think can go in the first round as a 3-4 DE and be high level players quickly at the position.

Arthur Jones could be there, but he could stand to gain a little weight IMO.

Larry121283
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Pannel Egboh

6'6", 280...5-tech at the next level...had a down season in 08 (only 3.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks on 31 tackles) so he will probably be a mid to late round player, but I think with some NFL coaching, he could become a contributor to a 34 team.

Bob Sacamano
12-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Mitch King, though wouldn't be a perfect fit, is a Guy I'd love in rotation.. As a rotational Weaksider and situational strongsider.

Odrick and Arthur Jones, IMO are in the Top tier of 3-4 DE candidates.

Then I'd lean Dorell Scott, Darryl Richard, Demonte Bolden, Vince Oghobaase.

I'll be honest and say I'm not really a fan of Tyson Jackson and Fili Maola.

I really like him, reminds me of San Diego DE Jacques Cesaire, undersized, but has a motor that never stops, and just makes plays

someone said Luis Castillo in this thread, Northwestern has a guy, DT John Gill, who I think would be a good fit at 3-4 DE, 6'3" 300

I'm not a fan of Maola either

bored of education
12-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Whoever said Demonte Bolden is right on. Prototypical size and plays with the proepr leverage you need to be a very solid 3-4 DE. Plus he is an absolute beast!

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I heard Jones feels that there's really no reason for him to play his senior year at Syracuse and he'll likely come out and be a top 60 pick.

SenorGato
12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I like Bolden too, but he could be a Dre Moore.

STARHEATHER
12-02-2008, 07:34 PM
bolden has off field concerns. he played well though. not great but surely a draftable prospect with the off field stuff mid rds. i read arthur jones from syracuse is almost a lock to come out. i like it may be in my first rd. nice looking yr for 3-4 defense. des, nt,available, olbs everywhere.

CashmoneyDrew
12-02-2008, 10:16 PM
bolden has off field concerns. he played well though. not great but surely a draftable prospect with the off field stuff mid rds. i read arthur jones from syracuse is almost a lock to come out. i like it may be in my first rd. nice looking yr for 3-4 defense. des, nt,available, olbs everywhere.

Please tell me about these off-field concerns. I haven't heard of any and I'm a vols fan. Besides, Dan Williams>>>>>>>>>>>>>Demonte Bolden.

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Please tell me about these off-field concerns. I haven't heard of any and I'm a vols fan. Besides, Dan Williams>>>>>>>>>>>>>Demonte Bolden.

The only thing I've found was his throwing Ainge under the bus. But his measureables should give him a late round selection.

and I still hate that Heather is a "Steelers fan".

Burns336
12-02-2008, 10:48 PM
I think Moala could be good in Wade Phillips scheme as a DE.

Problem is, we need a NT.

I'd still like to see us grab him if available. I'd love Raji but have a feeling he will be gone.

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I think Moala could be good in Wade Phillips scheme as a DE.

Problem is, we need a NT.

I'd still like to see us grab him if available. I'd love Raji but have a feeling he will be gone.

I know Raji "could" play a 3-4 NT.. I still feel his explosion off the snap is what makes him such a beast and he'd have all-pro potential as a NT in a T2 or DT in a standard 4-3. I think Dallas looking for a pure 2 gapper would be better off choosing Ron Brace.

I think you guys would be best grabbing a guy like Arthur Jones/Fili Maola in 1 and Ron Brace in 3.

CashmoneyDrew
12-02-2008, 10:57 PM
The only thing I've found was his throwing Ainge under the bus. But his measureables should give him a late round selection.

and I still hate that Heather is a "Steelers fan".

Yeah, he's run his mouth a couple of times, but he's apologized for those incidents. Nothing really "off-the-field" though. I agree though, 5th-7th round pick depending on workouts.

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, he's run his mouth a couple of times, but he's apologized for those incidents. Nothing really "off-the-field" though. I agree though, 5th-7th round pick depending on workouts.

I have him as a 7th to the Steelers right now. That can change, but some teams might have him as a guy that just doesn't fit the 4-3 because he never really produced.

And when you look at the talent on the defensive side that TEN has produced over the years.. he really doesn't stick out, at all.

I think he's a perfect 3-4 candidate because.

he doesn't seem comfortable inside.. But doesn't have the speed to move to 4-3 DE.

He's a Tweener in that sense, but for the 3-4, he's perfect. DE Play in a DT body with exciting athleticism..

Burns336
12-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I know Raji "could" play a 3-4 NT.. I still feel his explosion off the snap is what makes him such a beast and he'd have all-pro potential as a NT in a T2 or DT in a standard 4-3. I think Dallas looking for a pure 2 gapper would be better off choosing Ron Brace.

I think you guys would be best grabbing a guy like Arthur Jones/Fili Maola in 1 and Ron Brace in 3.

Would be nice if we had a 1... unfortunately we don't.

I'm hoping Fili falls and we make moves to get him. I just think our biggest needs are on the o-line and d-line... Specifically LT, NT, and DE.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread.

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Would be nice if we had a 1... unfortunately we don't.

I'm hoping Fili falls and we make moves to get him. I just think our biggest needs are on the o-line and d-line... Specifically LT, NT, and DE.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread.

I don't think you'd have to move up.. I'm sure Maola will fall to your pick or round 2.

I'm seeing Ziggy Hood, Peria Jerry and Raji likely being drafted before Maola.

That said .. go DE in 1, LT in 2, NT in 3 and you're set.

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 07:46 PM
he was suspended on the same day as lamarcus coker for the second time. what that means i dont know for sure

neko4
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM

Agreed. I sometimes wonder if college DC's do a good enough job developing their DE's into more than just pass rushers.

lance uppercut
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
any opinions on zach potter, DE Nebraska? I've never seen him, but he seems to have the measurables (6-7, scott lists 280 lbs.) and has produced in college (16 TFL & 5.5 sacks as a SR).

also, what's the consensus on Alex Magee? he seems to be having a good week in Mobile, and would appear to have the frame to handle 3-4 DE role, unless his height & weight are off.

TIA.

AtariBigby
01-23-2009, 01:13 PM
I can't find him in Scott's rankings, either at DE or DT.
Is he not in the draft?

Sniper
01-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I can't find him in Scott's rankings, either at DE or DT.
Is he not in the draft?

No he is not. He's returning to Northwestern.

TitanHope
01-23-2009, 02:53 PM
To clarify the Bolden character concerns: He was suspended due to academic issues. He's always had trouble making the grades. It may reflect on his mental ability or discipline, but he had the perseverance to work through it and graduate. There've been no problems with the law, drugs, or alcohol.

thetedginnshow
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Probably been mentioned several times already, but I really like Jarron Gilbert.

SteelCzar76
01-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Probably already been Mentioned,... but i'm going to say Fili and or Evander Hood.