PDA

View Full Version : Kiper has Tebow listed as his #2......Tight End

holt_bruce81
11-27-2008, 07:02 PM
On Kipers updated position rankings he has Tim Tebow as his #2 Tight End right behind Jermaine Gresham. Thoughts?

Rob S
11-27-2008, 07:03 PM
I think he is crazy. Has he seen Tebow run routes, catch the ball, block on the line, etc.? Dont think so. The man will at least get a shot at QB in the NFL.

Brodeur
11-27-2008, 07:03 PM
He'd be a better tight end than Mike Williams would have been.

Rob S
11-27-2008, 07:06 PM
He'd be a better tight end than Mike Williams would have been.

so long as u dont get drafted by the lions u are automatically better than anyone taken by the lions (CJ being the exception because he is the 2nd coming of JC)

Brodeur
11-27-2008, 07:10 PM
so long as u dont get drafted by the lions u are automatically better than anyone taken by the lions (CJ being the exception because he is the 2nd coming of JC)

I only said it because people thought he could make the transition to tight end, despite the fact that he was on par blocking wise with an autistic cripple.

Tebow MIGHT be able to work at tight end, but it's probably a minor error on Kiper's behalf.

Rob S
11-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I only said it because people thought he could make the transition to tight end, despite the fact that he was on par blocking wise with an autistic cripple.

haha yeah I gotcha. The current state of the Lions is so amusing, I take swipes whenever I can. Seriously tho.....I think Tebow has at least earned the shot to try QB at the next level.....I think he can do it personally. Maybe the OC will have to be a little creative in designing the right system, but Tebowis such a fantastic athlete and a good leader that I think he can be a success at QB.

Staubach12
11-27-2008, 07:19 PM
I think Kiper's loosing it...

Bruce Banner
11-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Look at the end of the post.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1112953&postcount=61

Does Mel post here?

STARHEATHER
11-27-2008, 09:57 PM
i think hes gotten crazy in his old age. the guys never run a rtoute or made an in line block and hes slow and way undersized. i just dont see how you could put that in writing. it may be apologies for tebows obvious inability to play qb at the nfl level or an attempt to separate from tebow without "offending" the tebow cult

Zyro_1014
11-27-2008, 10:03 PM
i think thats great, i personally hate Tebow as a QB prospect so i love it :)

Iamcanadian
11-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Kiper plays with his rankings to attract people to buy his information. The only time he's truthful is in his preseason rankings and his final mock. All the rest is to raise controversy so people will buy to find out why he thinks that way. His regular season rankings mean less than zip.

D-Unit
11-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Look at the end of the post.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1112953&postcount=61

Does Mel post here?
I don't know if he posts here, but I think he reads my posts. ;)

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1231875&postcount=93

Tebow doesn't possess an NFL arm. He doesn't possess NFL WR speed. He's too tall to play RB. Unless he's the first college QB turned to NFL TE, he might just flake out of the league before his career even starts, much like Eric Crouch.

Shane P. Hallam
11-27-2008, 11:20 PM
He'll play QB. Mel is just roping you all in! Smartest man in sports. He has the sports and business savvy!

thebow305
11-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I think Kiper's loosing it...

I think it was the Ginn pick that did him in. :)

LonghornsLegend
11-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Would Tebow even play TE? I just can't see him wanting to do that, he's a natural leader and he's gonna get a shot at least to be drafted as a QB...We haven't seen him block a soul or catch anything so its nonsense to talk about it now.

Bruce Banner
11-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Would Tebow even play TE? I just can't see him wanting to do that, he's a natural leader and he's gonna get a shot at least to be drafted as a QB...We haven't seen him block a soul or catch anything so its nonsense to talk about it now.

He'll fail as a QB. His success will be at a different position or nowhere at all.

Of course he wouldn't "want to", but he might have to, or be a QB PS allstar.

LonghornsLegend
11-28-2008, 12:03 AM
He'll fail as a QB. His success will be at a different position or nowhere at all.

I just remember some people talking about his goals outside of football and taking missions, I just never got the sense that the NFL was 100% what he wanted to do after College...Maybe it is I'm not sure, but if somebody told him he would be drafted as a TE that could come into play.

Fail or not, I have a hard time not one team would draft him to take a look at him as a QB.

Shane P. Hallam
11-28-2008, 12:04 AM

I'll be the one person who says I think Tebow will be a success in the right environment (sitting year or two)

Menardo75
11-28-2008, 12:05 AM
He really is not a good QB prospect. If he is coached properly I can see him as a servicable H-back.

Bruce Banner
11-28-2008, 12:06 AM
I'll be the one person who says I think Tebow will be a success in the right environment (sitting year or two)

I won't deny that possibility.

But who will do it? and where will he be selected? (round wise)

Staubach12
11-28-2008, 12:17 AM
i think hes gotten crazy in his old age. the guys never run a rtoute or made an in line block and hes slow and way undersized. i just dont see how you could put that in writing. it may be apologies for tebows obvious inability to play qb at the nfl level or an attempt to separate from tebow without "offending" the tebow cult

Kiper is only 48. Old age?

Shane P. Hallam
11-28-2008, 12:19 AM
I won't deny that possibility.

But who will do it? and where will he be selected? (round wise)

I'd say mid-late first (not saying he should be there, but SOME team will take the chance).

I think somewhere like Carolina, NYJ (if they don't buy into Clemens,) or Arizona could be interesting fits (and please, fans of these teams don't be like OMG NO WE NEED THIS AND THIS AND STUFF! I'm just sharing my thoughts and saying it would intrigue me).

Bruce Banner
11-28-2008, 12:33 AM
I'd say mid-late first (not saying he should be there, but SOME team will take the chance).

I think somewhere like Carolina, NYJ (if they don't buy into Clemens,) or Arizona could be interesting fits (and please, fans of these teams don't be like OMG NO WE NEED THIS AND THIS AND STUFF! I'm just sharing my thoughts and saying it would intrigue me).

I could see it.

It will be interesting.

PACKmanN
11-28-2008, 11:58 AM

I wouldn't mind us taking him to develop him and maybe trade him later down the line lke we did with Brunell and among others...

bored of education
11-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I hope mel kiper never has the chance to rank my tight end

Babylon
11-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I would question how Tebow could be the #2 TE in this years class, not so much that he could be one.

Scott Wright
11-28-2008, 01:36 PM
It wouldn't surprise me.

As I have said all along there are plenty of scouts who feel Tebow will be playing a position other than quarterback in the NFL, whether it be fullback, tight end, etc.

bored of education
11-28-2008, 01:42 PM
It wouldn't surprise me.

As I have said all along there are plenty of scouts who feel Tebow will be playing a position other than quarterback in the NFL, whether it be fullback, tight end, etc.

I think he will be a Cooley-Back when it's all said and done.

sbh15
11-28-2008, 03:02 PM
As a Florida fan, this angers me in a way, but it also is an interesting thought...

I would love to see Tebow make it as a quarterback, but I think that if he played fullback, it could be the better move in the end. He'll be a project player no matter where he ends up, but as a fullback, you could do some really cool things with a guy like Tebow (wildcat, anyone?), so it will be interesting to see what happens.

LonghornsLegend
11-28-2008, 03:04 PM
It wouldn't surprise me.

That's true. That said, it's pointless to try and rank him as a TE along with other proven TE's, he has nothing to base that off of other then an attention getter.

soybean
11-28-2008, 03:10 PM
michael robinson v.2

with a better arm.

EDIT: more accurate arm.

Smokey Joe
11-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I see him declaring this year (his value is never gonna be higher, IMO), and some team will take him the early part of round 2 as a QB project with the hopes of best case scenario him being the teams QB, and worst case scenario him moving over the fullback, H-Back, or TE. A team could do a lot of things with Tebow.

Staubach12
11-28-2008, 06:03 PM

Yeah, H-Back seems most logical to me.

BaLLiN
11-28-2008, 08:34 PM
i couldnt see teebow block though

SeanTaylorRIP
11-28-2008, 09:21 PM

Cooley Back is in Tight End? Cooley hasn't played H-back since his rookie season . I don't know why everyone considers him an H-back, he's been a true Tight End basically his entire NFL career. People assume because he's shorter that he's not playing at the end of the line or he's lined out like Dallas Clark, but he is in tight like a natural tight end the entire game.

ElectricEye
11-28-2008, 09:30 PM
He's not a bad H-Back candidate, if anyone wants to try him there. He'll have to play his way out of quarterback first though.

urinemonkey
11-29-2008, 11:27 AM
That's true. That said, it's pointless to try and rank him as a TE along with other proven TE's, he has nothing to base that off of other then an attention getter.

Exactly. If I want a TE, no way do I take Tebow over Beckum or Pettigrew, among others.

ChosenOne
11-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Here's the thing, some team who will be needing a quarterback within the next two to three years will take a chance on Tebow early. They will be impressed with all of his intangibles and his strength. I'm not saying I project him to be a good NFL quarterback, but I guarantee you someone will take him within the first two rounds.

Smokey Joe
11-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I like the idea of coming up with a special spread/wildcat formation just for Tebow, while you develop him. A team could do a lot of things offensively with Tebow.

Hawk
11-29-2008, 04:07 PM
I think if there ever is a QB that can run the spread option in the NFL, its Tebow.

josh07039
11-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I think it makes sense for Tebow to declare this year if he wants to be a qb. As a senior he should continue to put up numbers, but there is no way he can answer the questions. Furthermore, he'll have another year to sit and work within a pro offense. I don' think anyone will argue that Tebow can't make it at qb physically. It is all a matter of reads, qb iq, etc. If put in the right situation where he can sit and learn to be a real qb from a top notch offensive coordinator, who knows how good he can be?

After 3,4 years sitting, if he has shown he can't be a qb, the athleticism is still there and he can become whatever anyone wants.

Scott Wright
11-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Personally, if Tebow does move to another position I think it will be fullback

DoWnThEfiElD
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I think if there ever is a QB that can run the spread option in the NFL, its Tebow.

Agreed. I feel like he is the type of guy that would be good anywhere or any style of offense. I have a hard time see him getting drafted and not getting a crack at QB.

Bruce Banner
11-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Spread option in the NFL?

seriously?

sbh15
11-29-2008, 10:42 PM

seriously?

It's what the Chiefs are doing with Thigpen right now. If they had any kind of a defense they could be a .500 team right now.

Ozzy
11-30-2008, 09:45 AM
In terms of leadership Tebow is a quarterback, he is an outstanding person with great character and all of his teammates seem to want to follow this guy.

However I could totally see him moving to another position, thanks mostly to the system offense at Florida which has really hurt his QB progression. He could develop into a quarterback if given time to do so, but would have to sit on the bench for a few years and learn how to make certain throws and read coverages.

TE is the most likely move, FB I question because not that many teams use a full back anyways, but he does have the build of a FB but it might be miss placing ones resources by putting him there. At TE he could be a tough blocker, and he could stretch the field as a pass catcher and be a good target to throw too potentially. Probably considering him a Matt Jones type player, even though Tebow is much stronger than Jones ever was.

I am all for moving players who cannot throw the ball to another position, but Tebow I think has a chance to develop into a quarterback if given the right coaching. He has a strong arm, and most of all he is a flat out leader.

So I say again in terms of personality, he is a quarterback all the way.

DoWnThEfiElD
11-30-2008, 09:55 AM

seriously?

Ha I didn't read that he wrote spread option. I just ment he will get a shot at QB in the NFL.

Mouse
11-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I just remember some people talking about his goals outside of football and taking missions, I just never got the sense that the NFL was 100% what he wanted to do after College...Maybe it is I'm not sure, but if somebody told him he would be drafted as a TE that could come into play.

Fail or not, I have a hard time not one team would draft him to take a look at him as a QB.

he did say that being in the NFL would help him in his goals outside of football & missions (money)

BBIB
12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
As a Florida fan, this angers me in a way, but it also is an interesting thought...

I would love to see Tebow make it as a quarterback, but I think that if he played fullback, it could be the better move in the end. He'll be a project player no matter where he ends up, but as a fullback, you could do some really cool things with a guy like Tebow (wildcat, anyone?), so it will be interesting to see what happens.

How? How exactly is it a better move in the end?

Has Tebow ever been a lead blocker? Has he ever taken on a defensive linemen? It's absolutely ******** logic.

THere has never been a QB as efficient as Tebow over the last two seasons who has been projected at another position. It's absolutely ridiculous especially considering this kid's arm strength and accuracy.

This is nothing but the drivel that these idiots have put into our conscience about Tebow from day one. And people have fed off of it.

It would be an absolutely tragedy if this ridiculous nonsense actually affected Tebow to the point where groupthink intervened and Tebow doesn't even get a shot at QB in the NFL.

sbh15
12-01-2008, 11:38 AM
How? How exactly is it a better move in the end?

Has Tebow ever been a lead blocker? Has he ever taken on a defensive linemen? It's absolutely ******** logic.

THere has never been a QB as efficient as Tebow over the last two seasons who has been projected at another position. It's absolutely ridiculous especially considering this kid's arm strength and accuracy.

This is nothing but the drivel that these idiots have put into our conscience about Tebow from day one. And people have fed off of it.

It would be an absolutely tragedy if this ridiculous nonsense actually affected Tebow to the point where groupthink intervened and Tebow doesn't even get a shot at QB in the NFL.

I meant that if QB doesn't pan out, fullback would be the better move. I love Tim Tebow, I'm a Florida fan. I'm also the first to admit that he's got kinks in his mechanics and I think that is his biggest problem. I think he has the arm and the accuracy, but if he goes into the wrong situation (ala Vince Young - nowhere near ready for that starting job) he's in trouble.

Anyway, I want Tebow to make it at QB. I think he will make it at QB. Not in his first year, probably not in his second. In the meantime, however, he could be a really cool option to have as a fullback. He has the running ability and a wildcat formation for him would be a weapon for his team.

Pittbc7
12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
He will be a qb, he has the nfl caliber arm, mental and physical make up of a QB. He should not suffer because guys like Alex Smith and Vince Young have been busts. He has a stronger arm than Smith as well as a more durable body and is not the headcase Vince Young has turned out to be. More and more QBs coming from college have played in some sort of spread offense. Flacco played out of shotgun at 1-AA Delaware and has been transitioning suprisingly well. I just think it would be stupid not to try Tebow at QB. The QBs in this years draft class are not very strong and Tebow has a chance to be picked fairly high. It will be interesting to see his workouts whenever he declares.

bored of education
12-01-2008, 12:10 PM
My tight end will never be running the spread option offense

Larry121283
12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Not big on Tebow as a prospect, but I've learned not to discount kids with his mentality.

He has it as a football player and as a QB he does have some things to like. He isn't there as a quarterback (IMO), but as a football player, he is top notch.

As a prospect, he reminds me of Matt Jones. Not so much as a superior athlete or someone that projects as a wide receiver, but just as a football player that you find a position for. Jones' success has only been moderate in the NFL, as it has taken a long time for him to adjust to being a WR (as well as finding the motivation to get better and be better), but he is starting to come around as a position player in the NFL.

If a team takes Tebow and gives him time to develop, be it as a QB or elsewhere, he might succeed. He doesn't have the dumb glaze or flakiness to him that Eric Crouch had.

SKim172
12-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Any chance Miami decides to go All Wildcat, All the Time and decides to draft homeboy Tebow to be their run-pass-catch option?

As great as the Pennington trade has worked out for them, maybe there's someone in that department thinking it might be nice to have a QB who can catch and run split out wide.

I say give him a shot at QB and I'm sure a lot of NFL teams are thinking the same way. If he doesn't pan out, well, most QBs don't, so what's the harm. Just don't invest too much in him.

eazyb81
12-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I would question how Tebow could be the #2 TE in this years class, not so much that he could be one.

Agree on this. The fact that he's ranked as a TE isn't a shock at all to me, but placing him ahead of guys like Chase Coffman and Brandon Pettigrew is downright laughable.

BBIB
12-01-2008, 04:42 PM
I meant that if QB doesn't pan out, fullback would be the better move. I love Tim Tebow, I'm a Florida fan. I'm also the first to admit that he's got kinks in his mechanics and I think that is his biggest problem. I think he has the arm and the accuracy, but if he goes into the wrong situation (ala Vince Young - nowhere near ready for that starting job) he's in trouble.

Anyway, I want Tebow to make it at QB. I think he will make it at QB. Not in his first year, probably not in his second. In the meantime, however, he could be a really cool option to have as a fullback. He has the running ability and a wildcat formation for him would be a weapon for his team.

You've noticed flaws in his mechanics? Maybe because he's the most overly scrutinized QB in the nation.

No other QB is held to the same standard as Tebow.

These scouts don't point out other QBs who throw in huge open windows or who have several predecessors who didn't make it in the pros. Tebow is the only QB they hold to that absurd standard.

BBIB
12-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Not big on Tebow as a prospect, but I've learned not to discount kids with his mentality.

He has it as a football player and as a QB he does have some things to like. He isn't there as a quarterback (IMO), but as a football player, he is top notch.

As a prospect, he reminds me of Matt Jones. Not so much as a superior athlete or someone that projects as a wide receiver, but just as a football player that you find a position for. Jones' success has only been moderate in the NFL, as it has taken a long time for him to adjust to being a WR (as well as finding the motivation to get better and be better), but he is starting to come around as a position player in the NFL.

If a team takes Tebow and gives him time to develop, be it as a QB or elsewhere, he might succeed. He doesn't have the dumb glaze or flakiness to him that Eric Crouch had.

Besides being white athletic QBs he and Matt Jones have nothing in college. Tebow is a vastly superior passer. And Matt Jones was a tall elusive runner while Tebow is a bruiser which is why he will obviously not run as often in the pros.

captainjack27
12-01-2008, 04:45 PM
On Kipers updated position rankings he has Tim Tebow as his #2 Tight End right behind Jermaine Gresham. Thoughts?
Kiper always says some crazy crap months before the draft just to get a rise out of people. I never take him seriously.

BaLLiN
12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I'd be hilarious seeing a TE option pass or a FB option pass though, idk why but i could really see Tebow falling or something and Miami picking him up and keeping him near home. Then come sept. theyd be doing all kinds of formations :D

giantsfan
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM

I agree completely. I could see him going in the latter half of either round one or round two to a team with a vet QB and a stable coaching staff. At worst something like Cardinals in round two, although they probabgly have more faith in matt Leinart than I do but that kind of situation.

Abaddon
12-04-2008, 07:42 AM
6 years from now, he'll be the MVP of the CFL.

Ozzy
12-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I say again the kid is way too great of a leader to not be given a chance at least at quarterback as a project. Of almost all the quarterback prospects out there, he is arguably the greatest leader and the player that teammates will most follow.

He is not cocky, is a rock solid person at heart. Only issue could be if he gets too much hype and veteran players get upset with that and do not respect the kid. But hard to not respect him with the work he does in the off season and the toughness he shows on the field.

Now is he the top QB prospect, hell no, but should be given a chance to potentially develop as one.