PDA

View Full Version : Cary Harris (USC corner)

TailbackU
11-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Why is Cary Harris rated so low on this site, and not even mentioned on others? The guys got great size, very good speed and coverage ability and is one of the best run-support corners in college football. By about mid-way though last year he'd overtaken Terrell Thomas as SC's best corner and has only continued to get better since then. Thomas was drafted in the late 2nd round and the Giants seem to be pleased with him so far (they actually lined him up against Boldin pretty much every play last week). I don't see how Harris can be picked lower than Thomas was. Harris is a shutdown corner (something Thomas never really was in college) for one of the biggest programs in the nation, how does he not can any love? I can't believe there's 18 eligible corners out there who have a better overall skillset than him.

Any thoughts on why he's so underrated, am I missing something?

Yatta!
11-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Harris is a solid corner but I think you're overestimating him by quite a bit.

Still why is there so much USC hate on here? Their defense is one of the best, if not the best in the country but Maualuga (especially) and Mays get bashed constantly and none of the other guys get much love. It just surprises me that none of these players have seen their stock rise.

BRAVEHEART
11-27-2008, 07:55 PM
From what I've seen as a SC fan...

positives:

Great in run support
Very physical
looks like a small LB at CB
around the ball

Negatives:

Not fast
sometimes too physical/penalties
looks a lil too bulky and stiff at CB

I like him, but he's pretty much a S playing CB. If he runs well combine/pro-day I'd expect for his name to come up alot.

TailbackU
11-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Harris is a solid corner but I think you're overestimating him by quite a bit.

I don't know, maybe I am, but I watched every game the guys played and he seems far superior to Terrell Thomas as a prospect. Thomas got beat a number of times last year, Harris has perfect coverage on pretty much any ball that's thrown his way. The only time he's really been beat all year was the Cal TD that was called back when he misread the play and fell for a fake screen. That was more a mental mistake than a physical one. If any of you have got any SC game recorded somewhere, go back any watch them and focus on #7 on defense, I'm sure you'll be impressed. And to prove I'm not a total SC homer, I don't think Patrick Turner is a NFL prospect at all, and Kevin Ellison, due to his lack of athleticism and knee injuries, isn't much of one either unfortunately, as he is a very good college player.

TailbackU
11-27-2008, 08:21 PM
From what I've seen as a SC fan...

positives:

Great in run support
Very physical
looks like a small LB at CB
around the ball

Negatives:

Not fast
sometimes too physical/penalties
looks a lil too bulky and stiff at CB

I like him, but he's pretty much a S playing CB. If he runs well combine/pro-day I'd expect for his name to come up alot.

Speed is the one thing that I'm not positive on, as its not always easy to judge just from watching a guy play. I've never really seen anyone run by him though, as I did with Thomas last year, and Thomas ran a good time at the Combine I believe. Also, I'm pretty sure Harris was a big track guy in HS and speed was regarded as one of his biggest assets, so you've got to think he still has pretty good speed.

Comphockey7
11-27-2008, 09:50 PM
USC's D may be a lot of things, but not fast is certain not one of them.

BeerBaron
11-27-2008, 10:21 PM
He doesn't seem bad from what I can see. And even if he's slow, he might work out very well on a Cover 2 team as long as his run-support is as good as reported.

keylime_5
11-27-2008, 10:33 PM
his speed doesn't need to be that great considering the type of corner he is, but I have heard that he is kinda stiff for an NFL cornerback and that will cause him to go lower than Thomas did. USC's defense has been great, but they haven't had to have elite corners to do it, their strength under Carroll has always come from the front seven and being physical in the secondary.

BRAVEHEART
11-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Speed is the one thing that I'm not positive on, as its not always easy to judge just from watching a guy play. I've never really seen anyone run by him though, as I did with Thomas last year, and Thomas ran a good time at the Combine I believe. Also, I'm pretty sure Harris was a big track guy in HS and speed was regarded as one of his biggest assets, so you've got to think he still has pretty good speed.

TT was a more fluid athlete (very important for a CB) and a bigger playmaker. In his senior year he gambled a bit, and sometimes it was costly, but he was no doubt the best corner on the team. I believe the coaches allowed TT to do the things he did because they knew he could make a play on the ball. Cary can run with his man and he's made a play or two this year...but he's far from a ballhawk. He's at his best when he's running up to make the tackle.

BeerBaron
11-27-2008, 11:50 PM
TT was a more fluid athlete (very important for a CB) and a bigger playmaker. In his senior year he gambled a bit, and sometimes it was costly, but he was no doubt the best corner on the team. I believe the coaches allowed TT to do the things he did because they knew he could make a play on the ball. Cary can run with his man and he's made a play or two this year...but he's far from a ballhawk. He's at his best when he's running up to make the tackle.

Which is something nice to have in a solid Cover 2 corner. The lack of ballhawking skills hurts, but he could be a nifty nickleback drafted in the mid rounds for a Cover 2 team....

Staubach12
11-28-2008, 12:19 AM
I'd move him to safety if I were to take him.

BRAVEHEART
11-28-2008, 12:59 AM
I'd move him to safety if I were to take him.

Yes, I think he'd make an excellent safety.

RaiderNation
11-28-2008, 01:37 AM
I see him being drafted as a saftey in rounds 5 or 6

Bruce Banner
11-28-2008, 01:49 AM

Did he run backwards on the track?

because if he didn't, I would just disregard that fact.

SuperKevin
11-28-2008, 04:05 AM
Did he run backwards on the track?

because if he didn't, I would just disregard that fact.

Agreed. Ahmad Carroll ran a 4.3 40 and look what happened to him

Staubach12
11-28-2008, 11:41 PM
I see him being drafted as a saftey in rounds 5 or 6

Heck, I might take him in the fourth depending on how the chips fall.

Menardo75
11-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Williamson also ran a 4.2. Now he wants to fight coaches.

Babylon
11-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Seems like he's playing his best ball lately and could easily move up the rankings by draft day with good workouts. Playing for USC can be a blessing but also a curse sometimes. Guys come in with big reputations and by their senior seasons their play gets pretty scrutinized.

Menardo75
11-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Seems like he's playing his best ball lately and could easily move up the rankings by draft day with good workouts. Playing for USC can be a blessing but also a curse sometimes. Guys come in with big reputations and by their senior seasons their play gets pretty scrutinized.

USC as not had an elite corner in this decade so it's hard to get that excited about any of them.