PDA

View Full Version : Latest on L. Davis

Macarthur
03-03-2007, 09:42 AM
on theboysblog.com they are saying that Leonard wants in the neighborhood of a $12m signing bonus. I say no way to that. He is not worth that kind of money. We can draft a guard in the 2nd thank you very much.

they also said porter has been contacted by the cowboys.

D-Unit
03-03-2007, 12:37 PM
I want both of those guys.

12M is kinda high, but I won't be too bummed.

I'm happy no word of Hamlin yet... :D Nelson in R1 baby!

TNewFan41
03-03-2007, 12:59 PM
You better believe it.

Gribble
03-03-2007, 01:17 PM
on theboysblog.com they are saying that Leonard wants in the neighborhood of a $12m signing bonus. I say no way to that. He is not worth that kind of money. We can draft a guard in the 2nd thank you very much.

they also said porter has been contacted by the cowboys.

Joey Porter? Hmmm... I don't really like him too much as a player, but he is a rah-rah guy in the locker room and a leader on the defensive side of the ball.

Anyway, with Leonard Davis we are bidding with the Redskins so the price is gonna be steep.

mtmock
03-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I want both of those guys.

12M is kinda high, but I won't be too bummed.

I'm happy no word of Hamlin yet... :D Nelson in R1 baby!
AMEN! Nelson welcome to the Boys!!!Jerry if he falls to 22 don't trade down!!!

thule
03-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Rumor has it that the cowboys are talking contract of a RT to replace columbo. If thats the case it makes me even more scared.

BX
03-03-2007, 02:53 PM
I'd rather keep Columbo then bring in Davis.

TNewFan41
03-03-2007, 02:58 PM
WTF?!?!?!

Jerry you suck dude. Well we are not going to the SB because of our o-line, great.

Give me a break with that MaQuistan and Proctor crap, they could suck for all we no.

Staubach12
03-03-2007, 03:25 PM
WTF?!?!?!

Jerry you suck dude. Well we are not going to the SB because of our o-line, great.

Give me a break with that MaQuistan and Proctor crap, they could suck for all we no.

And at this time last year, Romo was a nobody who we didn't want playing, what's your point?

LSUALUM99
03-03-2007, 03:51 PM
WTF?!?!?!

You mean for all YOU know. Clearly if they don't resign Columbo it's because the coaching staff feels that the replacement would be better than the incumbent.

People act like these decisions on who to sign and who not to sign are made on a whim.

TNewFan41
03-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Well then they are stupid. If they think Leonard Davis will be better than Colombo, they all should be fired and then shot.

If we didn't have one of the best o-line's in football in the 90's, we wouldn't win 1 ring. It really does start up front.

If our o-line could actually have played better than a pop-warner team this year(which it didn't), we woould have won atleast 3 more games, and we would have won the Seattle Game. WOw, letting Colombo go is just stupid. I hope Jerry dies under the knife.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Leonard Davis said it's down to the Cowboys and Skins, so another battle between the teams.

robert_in_bigd
03-03-2007, 08:08 PM
So sad that a player with Davis's ability but so little heart can be so well rewarded.

TNewFan41
03-03-2007, 08:33 PM
When did he say it was down to both teams?

nrcirc
03-03-2007, 08:47 PM
For get it.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/03/leonard_davis_speaks.html

TNewFan41
03-03-2007, 08:53 PM
What do you mean forget it? He just said it is down to us and the skins and no dicision has been made.

703SKINS202
03-03-2007, 09:10 PM
im scared now that its down to us two cause i want him but dont want you guys to get him either, but what im afraid will happen is Snyders ego will get in the way of him and try to steal him away from you guys for a ridiculous cost unfortunately

JoeMontainya
03-03-2007, 09:22 PM
I hope Dallas gets him, I allways liked how your team plays. Allways entertaining to watch a Cowboys game.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2007, 09:36 PM
If I were a Cowboys fan I would be worried if you got him cause that would probably mean that you outbid Snyder and very few do as from his comments seems like he's about 50/50. We can all agree that he is an immense talent when motivated which is a big if, but I have a feeling with the contract it seems he will get either team who get's him is going to be a little mad.

Staubach12
03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
If we sign him, I'll still see only half of the problem (seemingly) fixed. We still need a Guard. Unless we also sign Colombo and move Davis to RG. It's an issue.

TNewFan41
03-03-2007, 10:19 PM
That is exactly what I am saying. We sign Davis, but Colombo leaves. Now if we get both, I with love it, and we are winning the SB. If we don't get either, Jerry is gonna get shot.

bigmac076
03-03-2007, 10:29 PM
That is exactly what I am saying. We sign Davis, but Colombo leaves. Now if we get both, I with love it, and we are winning the SB. If we don't get either, Jerry is gonna get shot.
so its all or nothing? I would like them to re-sign Coloumbo, but if they don't its not the end of the world. Your narrow-mindedness kills me.

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Who cares if Columbo leaves. It's not like we're losing an Perenial All-Pro player.

If losing an OL (that's not a LT) were that big of a deal, don't you think that teams would be keeping the Dielman, Dockery and Steinbachs of the world? It's not as if the teams losing them were in Cap Hell and couldn't sign them.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't care how much we spend on Davis. I think by him returning to Texas, playing for a winning organization for a change, playing in front of family, playing under Sparano and playing with Flozell and Gurode (especially if it's between the two) would be an extreme motivation.

He's still young and talented, no doubt. Arizona is classic for letting go of their players and seeing them excel once they leave... Simeon Rice, Thomas Jones, Bernard Berry... Davis is just the next in line.

C'mon Jerry!

LT Flozell Adams
LG Leonard Davis
C Andre Gurode
RG Josh Beekman (Round 2)
RT Kyle Kosier

Boo ya!

Modano
03-04-2007, 05:55 AM
I don't care how much we spend on Davis. I think by him returning to Texas, playing for a winning organization for a change, playing in front of family, playing under Sparano and playing with Flozell and Gurode (especially if it's between the two) would be an extreme motivation.

He's still young and talented, no doubt. Arizona is classic for letting go of their players and seeing them excel once they leave... Simeon Rice, Thomas Jones, Bernard Berry... Davis is just the next in line.

C'mon Jerry!

LT Flozell Adams
LG Leonard Davis
C Andre Gurode
RT Kyle Kosier

Boo ya!

Do you think that Kosier could play good at RT?
And which are your thoughts on Blalock? Is he gonna slip out of round 1?

locseti
03-04-2007, 06:01 AM
you guys are thinking way too much, Colombo is garbage, be happy (extremely happy) with what you get.

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Think before you post.

Colombo should have been in the pro-bowl.

Wow I hate when people don't know what they are talking about. And saying Colombo is garbage? you should be shot.

Modano
03-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Think before you post.

Wow I hate when people don't know what they are talking about. And saying Colombo is garbage? you should be shot.

Is a solid guy but not a pro bowler by any means.. He was great in pass blocking but his run blocking wasn't soo good..

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 07:44 AM
He was on most pro-bowl snub lists.

But to say he was garbage is just stupid.

KILLERSANTA
03-04-2007, 08:05 AM
He was on most pro-bowl snub lists.

But to say he was garbage is just stupid.

Just stop talking to them, If they think are best OL last year is Garbage, There are dumb..............

locseti
03-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Think before you post.

Well, it's clear you have an affinity for shooting people. C'mon, what D Unit said makes sense, Davis has every reason to make it work in Big D...Colombo is most definitely on the slippery slope downwards.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 09:17 AM
It's starting to look like Dallas is going to get Davis and Columbo done. Neither have as much value as they thought they did.

Someone earlier made a good point. I think this shows some maturity by Jerry. Ten years ago he would already have signed Davis and one or two other, but he would have overpaid for them.

D-unit, I had forgot that Kosier played RT until you mentioned that. What do you think is his natural position? It may be a moot point if we get Davis & Columbo.

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Dude Colombo is a good player and a por-bowl snub, To say he is on the downslope is stupid, he is 28.

And what did D-Unit say thats makes sense? He said that we need to get Colombo done no matter what.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Dude Colombo is a good player and a por-bowl snub, To say he is on the downslope is stupid, he is 28.

And what did D-Unit say thats makes sense? He said that we need to get Colombo done no matter what.

I agree on Columbo. Why would anyone think he is on the downswing? He just played his first full season in the NFL. If anything, his body should be in good shape due to the rest, assuming his knee is 100%.

locseti
03-04-2007, 09:39 AM

C'mon Jerry!

LT Flozell Adams
LG Leonard Davis
C Andre Gurode
RT Kyle Kosier

Boo ya!

All these points he makes are valid. Arizona is known for its underachievers, who's to say Davis can't succeed given the right environment? I remember being on this thread some time ago when Colombo was brought in and there wasn't anything nice said about him..

nrcirc
03-04-2007, 09:55 AM
All these points he makes are valid. Arizona is known for its underachievers, who's to say Davis can't succeed given the right environment? I remember being on this thread some time ago when Colombo was brought in and there wasn't anything nice said about him..

At this point I don't want Davis at all, I don't want to over paid him. It doesn't make any sense to me because it is easy to sign Colombo (less Money) and draft Beekman in D-Unit commond.

Right now, I think we should draft 2 OL in first day, 1st - I want Justin Blalock, and the third I want Manuel Ramirez or Tony Ugoh. We should get a CB or DE/OLB at 2nd.

locseti
03-04-2007, 10:04 AM
At this point I don't want Davis at all, I don't want to over paid him. It doesn't make any sense to me because it is easy to sign Colombo (less Money) and draft Beekman in D-Unit commond.

Right now, I think we should draft 2 OL in first day, 1st - I want Justin Blalock, and the third I want Manuel Ramirez or Tony Ugoh. We should get a CB or DE/OLB at 2nd.

Oh Ya, Manuel Ramirez or Ugoh, no biggie.

nrcirc
03-04-2007, 10:05 AM
We sign Davis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2787446

locseti
03-04-2007, 10:07 AM
We sign Davis.

Now watch him become a force.

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I am also for drafting 2 O-lineman on day 1. If we re-sign Colombo though, I would like only 1.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah, if we get Columbo, I could see us going with a C/G type guy. I like Kyle Young in the 4th. He's a big Center than could play some guard.

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 11:42 AM
If we draft 2 OL on day one I'll be pretty upset. Gurode is young, Columbo is young, Kosier is young, Adams may be done after this season, but I'm not sure. Davis is young.

Drafting OL is fine, if it's on the second day of the draft. Backup OL don't play at all, backup LB's, WR, DB's, RB's, DL's all play during the games. THAT is why OL go later in the draft.

Staubach12
03-04-2007, 12:30 PM
We sign Davis.

Good. That makes our line a bit better.

Modano
03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
If we draft 2 OL on day one I'll be pretty upset. Gurode is young, Columbo is young, Kosier is young, Adams may be done after this season, but I'm not sure. Davis is young.

Drafting OL is fine, if it's on the second day of the draft. Backup OL don't play at all, backup LB's, WR, DB's, RB's, DL's all play during the games. THAT is why OL go later in the draft.

I agree.. I think we should draft an OL in round 2-3 if the value is there.. Other than that I want us to go CB or S...

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Now watch him become a force.
Now THAT'S the type of news that I like to wake up to!!!! :D

Davis became my #1 FA Target on Friday and I'm sooo happy that it's becoming a reality. This is a great great signing!!!

I absolutely love ESPN's scouting report on him too!

"Davis has exceptional size and rare play strength. He stands an impressive 6-foot-7, 375 pounds and is not a fat player. He is a great run blocker who is able to maul and control his opponents with massive power and functional strength, and his huge wingspan makes it difficult for defenders to get around him in both the run and pass games. He is a very athletic player for his size and moves with ease in space, nimble enough to control his body and not become too top-heavy. Davis can also pull and run out in space. He uses his hands very well and has a strong punch and is a knee-bender who uses his leverage well. When he wants to, he can completely dominate opposing defenders. Despite playing at left tackle for many years he is best suited to play at guard. Davis has not been a very consistent player in his six years in the NFL, though, and does not always dominate on every play like he can and. He can be lazy and try to out muscle players over whom he has a size advantage, rather than using technique and feet to keep players at a disadvantage. He could improve both his pass sets and run blocking to be more punishing and dominant, and if Davis would ever get a consistently nasty temper and stop thinking so much he would set a new standard for the guard position. He still has some maturing to do, though when he wants to punish players he can and will. He has all the intangibles to be one of the best to ever play his position and if he is able to improve his control and balance in pass sets as well as in run blocking, he will greatly improve his game. He is a rare combination of talent, size and athletic ability that comes along once in a blue moon. Davis would be an All-Pro if he really went to work to increase his stamina and endurance and become a real student of the game. Overall, he is one of the best young talents in the NFL and will continue be a dominant player inside as a run blocker."

reigle9
03-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Did everybody decide to ignore this......"Davis' contract is expected to exceed the free agent deals of Bills guard Derrick Dockery (7 years, $49 million) and Browns guard Eric Steinbach (7 years, $49.5 million)."

These guards are starting to become like #3 starting pitchers in MLB.

We need to resign Columbo and put Davis at RG. Draft Nelson, and pick OL in the second if there is good value.

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 01:46 PM
"Colombo should have been in the pro-bowl."

Dont consider this flaming, just an outsiders opinion.

Colombo is as good as it gets at RT in pass blocking. But you dont make the pro bowl for being one dementional. Hes below average at run blocking, and everyone knows you cant win without running the ball. Passing is a bonus.

What happens if you dont resign him? Is he restricted or open to the market?

thule
03-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I personally like adding Davis to our team. Not only does it give us a mauler it also gives us leverage over columbo when trying to bring him back. My only complaint is paying him steve hutchinson type money. I hate that idea..would rather have drafted a inside guy early and saved the cap money.

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 03:31 PM
even IF we sign Colombo as well, we definitly need to draft an o-lineman on day 1, don't kid youself LSUALUM. Either a G or T will be taken on day 1, no matter what we do in FA, it is the biggest weakness on our team. There is a 100% chance we take a O-lineman on day 1. Take it to the bank.

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Ok, If we keep Columbo and we draft an OL on day 1 I'll retire from the board. If we do not, you retire from the board.

Staubach12
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
even IF we sign Colombo as well, we definitly need to draft an o-lineman on day 1, don't kid youself LSUALUM. Either a G or T will be taken on day 1, no matter what we do in FA, it is the biggest weakness on our team. There is a 100% chance we take a O-lineman on day 1. Take it to the bank.

Uh... Not really. If we sign Colombo, our line will be quite solid.

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
No, becuase with Jerry anything can happen. He loves the sexy pick.

But we should pick an o-lineman on day 1, if we dont we need a new front office.

LSU, why are you against o-lineman, it is the most important part of football, and it is our biggest need. If we have a good o-line, we are SB bound.

Staubach12
03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
No, becuase with Jerry anything can happen. He loves the sexy pick.

But we should pick an o-lineman on day 1, if we dont we need a new front office.

LSU, why are you against o-lineman, it is the most important part of football, and it is our biggest need. If we have a good o-line, we are SB bound.

It's not our biggest need if we sign Colombo. If we sign Colombo, our line is:

Adams-Kosier-Gurode-Davis-Colombo

That's good. That's actually quite good. There would be no need there. Where do you see the need?

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
It's not our biggest need if we sign Colombo. If we sign Colombo, our line is:

Adams-Kosier-Gurode-Davis-Colombo

That's good. That's actually quite good. There would be no need there. Where do you see the need?

isnt that your same line from last year, but the addition of a lazy overweight underachiever in Davis? And actually you guys might loose Colombo right? So theres a chance that your line might be worse than last year unless you get a good pick in rds1-3.

Paul
03-04-2007, 06:54 PM
isnt that your same line from last year, but the addition of a lazy overweight underachiever in Davis? And actually you guys might loose Colombo right? So theres a chance that your line might be worse than last year unless you get a good pick in rds1-3.

Oh Really? I thought you said Colombo was our worst O-lineman. So wouldn't losing him improve our line, according to your prior statments.

reigle9
03-04-2007, 06:59 PM

My God, do you post in every thread? You're in the PSU and Cowboys thread without even being a fan of either.

The word you're looking for is lose for God's sake.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 09:01 PM
My God, do you post in every thread? You're in the PSU and Cowboys thread without even being a fan of either.

The word you're looking for is lose for God's sake.
Yeah, and don't worry. I'll ban him for it next time.

mtmock
03-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Ur the best D!

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm not against O-Line.

TNEW you just don't seem to grasp the concept of scarcity or diminishing returns.

bigmac076
03-05-2007, 12:08 AM
thats enough from the peanut gallery!

D-Unit
03-05-2007, 12:19 AM
thats enough from the peanut gallery!
What's funny is that he PM'd me and sarcastically said... I was being real mature for criticizing a player I didn't even know. ...and here he is calling Davis a lazy overweight underachiever! Ironic? No. More like expected from a guy like him.

A-Dub4President
03-05-2007, 02:00 AM
Not trying to be a troll or anything, but I thought that as a guy who watched LD ever since he was drafted I could give a few insights. First of all, Big didn't want out of 'Zona, in fact before the free agency period started he said that he wants to stay here, so it's not like he was just tired of being on a losing organization. We have a hefty amount of cap space, so if we thought he would've been better off at guard, we would've just signed him there (we're pretty mediocre at the LG spot). The reason why Big was let go is because Whiz wanted to get away from that type of bad locker room influence; lazy underachieving players who were complacent with losing has been our MO for as far back as I can remember. In order to get away from that we extended high character guys like Reggie Wells (a LG who moved to RT and outplayed him this year). Davis is a 360 pound overweight tackle who doesn't have the killer instinct to be a mauling type figure on the line. While some of you might point to guys like Simeon Rice as former Cardinal players who succeeded elsewhere, I think that Davis shapes up to be much more like David Boston.

LonghornsLegend
03-05-2007, 02:33 AM
im wondering who most are going for in the first, as far as which position to focus on ? im thinking safety, being that its such a deep class we could end up with a top 10 safety most years, at our spot this year and plug him in first day....merriweather for sure will be there, and i think a safety like him would play so much better with williams...nelson would also be a steal if he was there, but i think griffin would be a reach

D-Unit
03-05-2007, 03:38 AM
Not trying to be a troll or anything, but I thought that as a guy who watched LD ever since he was drafted I could give a few insights. First of all, Big didn't want out of 'Zona, in fact before the free agency period started he said that he wants to stay here, so it's not like he was just tired of being on a losing organization. We have a hefty amount of cap space, so if we thought he would've been better off at guard, we would've just signed him there (we're pretty mediocre at the LG spot). The reason why Big was let go is because Whiz wanted to get away from that type of bad locker room influence; lazy underachieving players who were complacent with losing has been our MO for as far back as I can remember. In order to get away from that we extended high character guys like Reggie Wells (a LG who moved to RT and outplayed him this year). Davis is a 360 pound overweight tackle who doesn't have the killer instinct to be a mauling type figure on the line. While some of you might point to guys like Simeon Rice as former Cardinal players who succeeded elsewhere, I think that Davis shapes up to be much more like David Boston.
That's cool man. Thanks for the opinion. I think Leonard will find it really nice to be able to have a new change of scenery. Sounds like he really needed it.

The biggest problem in Arizona was that he was forced to play LT. I mean... you guys drafted him to be a tackle, but his strength is really at Guard. You simply don't draft guys with the #2 overall pick to have them play Guard. That's probably another reason why he stated that he wanted to stay... so that he could get paid as a LT. Unfortunately for him, the rest of the NFL including the Cards weren't buying it.

What will become of him? No one can honestly answer. The positives look good though.

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Even if we re-sign Colombo, we have barely ANY o-line depth. And once we take Reggie Nelson in round 1, this team will have NO HOLES. That is why we should take o-line. We don't have any holes, but we can improve there, seeing that is the weakest part of our very good team.

bigmac076
03-05-2007, 08:54 AM
We are getting older at skill positions and we need to draft at those positions to get younger. Gurode(turns 29 tomorrow), Kosier(age 28), Davis(age 28), and (hopefully) Coloumbo(age 28), are all signings in the past two seasons. Current skill position players: Aaron Gleen (turns 35 in July), Terry Glenn (turns 33 in July), and Terrell Owens(age 33). If we sign Coloumbo, the earliest we should draft O-line is 3rd Round, but probably 2nd day.

yno88
03-05-2007, 11:55 AM
LT Adams
LG Kosier
C Gurode
RG Davis
RT Colombo

Its beginning to look like an old style Cowboys' gang of maulers.

I love the signing

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 01:20 PM
yes, our o-lineman our young, so I wouldn't mind a WR or CB. But I believe O-line is the most important part of football, as the '90s Cowboys would indicate.

Come on Colombo, get it done.

Macarthur
03-05-2007, 01:59 PM
LT Adams
LG Kosier
C Gurode
RG Davis
RT Colombo

Its beginning to look like an old style Cowboys' gang of maulers.

I love the signing

Me, too.

I've read somewhere that they may want to put Leonard at LG. Columbo is a better pass blocker than run blocker so they may want him next to Columbo to "balance" the line a bit.

Can you imagine Leonard next to flo?!

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes I could, but I like the balance Idea better. Think abou tit:

Flo is a dominating run blocker- Kosiar is better at pass pro than run blocking- Gurode is a good player all around- Davis is a mauling run blocker- and Colombo is a great pass protector.

Sounds good to me.