PDA

View Full Version : Gamble signs 6-year extension with Panthers

Splat
11-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Gamble signs 6-year extension with Panthers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-panthers-gamble&prov=ap&type=lgns)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—The Panthers have signed cornerback Chris Gamble (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6787/;_ylt=AgkvdgtsM862qAjagNGqUFYdsLYF) to a six-year contract extension that will keep him in Carolina through the 2014 season.

Agent Carl Poston would not reveal the financial figures, but said it makes Gamble one of the top five paid cornerbacks in the NFL.

diabsoule
11-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I agree with how long they signed him for but if it makes him one of the top five paid cornerbacks in the NFL then they significantly overpaid for him.

abaddon41_80
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Top 5 CB money? He has been very good the last couple of years and I can understand them not wanting him to hit free agency but damn.

PoopSandwich
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I thought the Postons were banned from the NFL?

BeerBaron
11-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, we know they're keeping Gamble....

but who else? Peppers? Gross?

I doubt they can afford both of those with Gamble now staying put.

Splat
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Top 5 CB money? He has been very good the last couple of years and I can understand them not wanting him to hit free agency but damn.

Worth it or not I bet what ever he did get would not be as much as he would have got in FA.

Shane P. Hallam
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Does this mean either Peppers or Gross doesn't get resigned?

BeerBaron
11-28-2008, 03:58 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/28/panthers-gamble-agree-to-six-year-deal/

"$53 million contract that includes $23 million worth of guaranteed bonuses."

Pricy....

Geo
11-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I hope this doesn't drive Kelvin Hayden's (and Marlin Jackson's) price up.

Rob S
top 10 money....fine: he was going to get it. top 5 is very iffy.....they can probably say bye bye to peppers or gross.

Splat

Either would look great in red.

Rob S

Hayden should get a nice sized deal anyway from a cover 2 team.

Geo
11-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't rule out another Tampa 2 team with money to spend, like Minnesota or Tampa. :(

BeerBaron
11-28-2008, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't rule out another Tampa 2 team with money to spend, like Minnesota or Tampa. :(

Talib looks like a keeper for TB but I don't think Barber is going to last much longer there.....one of your guys would probably look awful nice on the one side for them.....

Same with Minny who would certainly like to find someone better than Griffin for opposite Winfield.

But Indy has never really had trouble replacing corners before. So I wouldn't worry too much. (Though they said that about their interior lineman before this season and they still haven't sorted it out as well as previous years.)

diabsoule
11-28-2008, 04:19 PM

You forgot Detroit.

BeerBaron
11-28-2008, 04:22 PM
You forgot Detroit.

What FA with other options would really want to go to Detroit?

PACKmanN
11-28-2008, 04:31 PM
I think they wait on Gross and Peppers. But Gross stays because of age and depth in the draft.

sbh15
11-28-2008, 04:37 PM

There's no way they can afford to let Peppers walk. I think Gross is more expendable because Otah can move to LT until they find another option. Peppers just provides way too much to that defense for them to let him go.

Bruce Banner
11-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Kelvin Hayden would be welcomed in Tampa.

I'm afraid Ronde is looking at a nickel spot or retirement.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-28-2008, 05:16 PM
With the way contracts are going up, top 5 money now will be a bargain in three years. Watch.

Shane P. Hallam
11-28-2008, 05:49 PM
What FA with other options would really want to go to Detroit?

Money talks

BeerBaron
11-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Money talks

ehhh.....

they'd have to be giving me significantly more than other teams where I could go and actually have a chance to win something....

SeanTaylorRIP
11-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Damn I wanted to see him hit free agency. But that's alright, better they overpay him than the Skins. He's a good player though and the way contracts are worked its a fair contract.

Shane P. Hallam
11-28-2008, 06:41 PM
ehhh.....

they'd have to be giving me significantly more than other teams where I could go and actually have a chance to win something....

For most, probably not significantly. They would start right off the bat, get a chance to perform.

ShutDwn
11-28-2008, 06:46 PM
With the way contracts are going up, top 5 money now will be a bargain in three years. Watch.

Thank you.

Top ___ money becomes top 15 money very fast in this league.

Gamble has been stellar this year and is a huge part of the defense. If it comes to it, the team will restructure with Gamble, no big deal.

Would any of you think it wiser to keep Lucas and Marshall as our starting corners?

The team already knew that they would only be able to keep two, and I was hoping it would be Peppers and Gamble, so far so good.

Geo
11-28-2008, 06:52 PM
You forgot Detroit.
They're included, but they deserve mention by name as you say, diab. They really need to shore up that pass defense. Although I'm not sure they have as much money to spend as Minnesota or Tampa do, Millen is an idiot.

Gamble is playing his best football in his contract year. That's not something to be casually swept under the rug, I don't think.

Richard Marshall is a free agent after '09, I would have considered keeping him instead (although maybe the team still signs him), and Lucas is likely gone after this season because he's not worth next season's salary.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Yep, it escalates even faster in the NFL but look at say Carlos Beltran's contract a few years back. 18 mil = overpaid? Maybe, but it doesn't look so bad now that Vernon Wells and the corpse of Andruw Jones are making the same coin

Gamble has become our best CB and while I think it's safe to say there should be some concern about a contract year type deal, he's been constantly improving since the sophomore slump he had after his big rookie year.

Keeping Marshall over Gamble would've been a terrible move. I love what Marshall brings to the team but he gets exposed when he goes up against #1 WRs. Most likely Lucas becomes a cap casualty in the next year or two and we draft another corner in the first 3 rounds

And Gross will not be missed when he leaves

scottyboy
11-28-2008, 09:01 PM
****, this is probably gonna make Webster's contract go up. Dammit, good bye Ward(hopefully)

djp
11-28-2008, 09:25 PM

Why? The Colts poop out serviceable corners for that scheme.

Geo
11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
The Colts drafted both high in the 2005 Draft, Jackson in the first round and Hayden in the second round, and both have been much more than servicable. Nick Harper and Jason David could walk, absolutely, but these guys are easily the best pair of starting corners in the Dungy era if not additionally well before that.

Still, the scheme can function with cheaper/younger guys at corner as you say. What is financially prudent comes into play in trying to keep both guys, and that likely resigns a fate for probably one of these two. But I'll be bummed to see one of these two guys go, I am a huge fan of both and would love to see them stay with the team for many more years.

Mind you, I would gladly let Jeff Saturday, Antoine Bethea, Freddy Keiaho and maybe even Gary Brackett (if he's asking for too much) walk as free agents the next two seasons. And I dearly hope the team cuts Marvin Harrison after this season, unless he takes a major paycut although I'd still like to see him gone. But I would love to have both corners stick with the team, if both parties could agree to deals fair and reasonable to both sides.

Gamble money? Ye gods, no. Not even for one of them, I don't think. Other than Tim Jennings who is currently a starter, a free agent himself after '09 btw, there's no guarantee in the youthful depth afterwards although their play has been limited. But there is promise in Dante Hughes and Michael Coe imo.

Sure, Alphonso Smith might fall to the Colts because other teams won't like his height (although I tend to doubt he falls that far), but I'd rather have Hayden and Jackson. But they can't be signed to the rookie deal that Smith might.

I think Polian will try and keep Hayden, actually. He'll make an offer, because he likes him a great deal and how he's developed. My gut also tells me that he reminds him of Antoine Winfield, who Polian loves.

Menardo75
11-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Congrats to the Panthers for getting him locked up.

diabsoule
11-29-2008, 04:00 AM
ehhh.....

You could look at it this way: Detroit would have a new coach, new system, and would have everything to gain, nothing to lose, and would be out to exact revenge on everyone whose smacked them around like a crack ***** the past couple of years.

But it all depends on who the new coach is and who he chooses as his staff. I wouldn't go there if the staff is full of a bunch of losers and goobers.

GB12
11-29-2008, 12:52 PM
You could look at it this way: Detroit would have a new coach, new system, and would have everything to gain, nothing to lose, and would be out to exact revenge on everyone whose smacked them around like a crack ***** the past couple of years.

But it all depends on who the new coach is and who he chooses as his staff. I wouldn't go there if the staff is full of a bunch of losers and goobers.
Detroit is many years away from doing anything no matter who the coach is.

Scotty D
11-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Detroit is many years away from doing anything no matter who the coach is.

Couldn't you say that about Miami last year? Or even Atlanta? I think its foolish to say that with the player movement in the off-season.

Gay Ork Wang
11-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Couldn't you say that about Miami last year? Or even Atlanta? I think its foolish to say that with the player movement in the off-season.
i dont think either one of them had that many holes, id compare Lions with Chiefs

GB12
11-29-2008, 12:56 PM
But we're talking about the Lions here. You know how it goes.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2008, 12:56 PM
I wonder how much inflation factors in here. A 25 million signing bonus is worth about 20 million in 2003 money.

BlindSite
11-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Gamble has been brilliant this year, but he won't make the probowl since the Panthers have got 1 game on primetime all year and most average fans don't know just how good he has been.

The Panthers pass defense has been in the top of the league all year and he's been a huge part.

A complete corner with *touch wood* no injury history or criminal history and excellent skills is a good signing as a franchise pillar.

Mr. Stiller
11-29-2008, 11:34 PM
****... Now Bryant McFadden is going to command some serious coin.