PDA

View Full Version : Saints Mock Drafts

BiggerFoot
03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
just keeping the ball rolling and wanted to see who everyone thinks the Saints will end up drafting.
my mock

1) Greg Olsen TE Miami
2) Fred Bennett CB South Carolina
3) Kareem Brown DT Miami
4) a. Desmond Bishop MLB California
4) b. Antwan Barnes OLB Florida International
4) c. Yamon Figurs WR (or a speed WR)
5) Justin Medlock K UCLA
6) your guess is as good as my guess backup QB/DL/DB

Saints Dome Patrol
03-01-2007, 04:08 AM
just keeping the ball rolling and wanted to see who everyone thinks the Saints will end up drafting.
my mock

1) Greg Olsen TE Miami
3) Kareem Brown DT Miami
5) Justin Medlock K UCLA

Personally, and don't take any offense to this, I have some critiques for you.

First, I hope that we don't go offensive with the first round selection. Even if Olsen is there, which he might not, I think that most people would agree with me and say that we'd rather have a linebacker or cornerback here. Tight end is not a major need, especially with the recent re-signing of Billy Miller.

The second round should address the position that we didn't address in round one, whether it be cornerback or linebacker. I think you did okay with Fred Bennett.

Third round, good position of need, but I'm not sold on Kareem Brown.

Fourth round, a good round altogether; however, I don't know if Antwan Barnes will be available there, after his tremendous showing at the Combine.

I don't mind us getting Medlock, but I think that it's still too early for a kicker. Just me.

And in the last two rounds, I think we need offensive line help, particularly at guard and then like you said a backup quarterback like John Beck from BYU would be okay with a seventh round selection.

We'll have to see once free agency starts to see what our priorities will be heading into April before anyone can make an educated guess. Kudos for being the first to post this though, and it's decent for it being so early in the game.

BiggerFoot
03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
thanks for the insight, I am always happy to take constructive criticism, which you gave
How do you see the Saints draft going and possibly how Free Agency will go?
Here are some of my opinions for possible first round choices (in no particular order)
Leon Hall, Darrelle Revis, Chris Houston, Patrick Willis, Lawrence Timmons, Paul Posluszny, Greg Olsen, Ted Ginn.

GeauxSaints
03-02-2007, 04:36 PM
my mock

1) Greg Olsen TE Miami
3) Kareem Brown DT Miami
5) Justin Medlock K UCLA

I dont like Olsen in the first round for us. While I understand his appeal, it was our defense that kept us out of the super bowl. I dont like billy miller, so i would like to see us pick a TE - not in the first round though. we can get one in the later rounds, and give him a little time to mature. here is my mock:

1 Patrick Willis
2 Tanard Jackson
3 Brandon Siler
4 Antonio Johnson
4 Steve Smith
4 Ben Patrick
5 trade: CB/S Jordan Babineaux
6 John Talley

i may have missed this somewhere else, but what do yall think about us going after joey porter. i know he would cost some serious money, but he would give our defense an identity. i think he has the kind of attiude that could really help some of our younger players. i also like nate clements over dre bly . i would love to see us get adalius thomas too.

BiggerFoot
03-03-2007, 01:52 AM
part of the appeal of Olsen is the fact that the top talent in the LB class and CB class is likely gone by 27, and both CB and LB are deep in talent. Where as I feel that the TE class is a big drop off after Olsen, so why not get the best talent at a position rather than the 3rd or 4th best, we could use a TE he has great hands was the fastest of all TEs and has good height

Saints Dome Patrol
03-03-2007, 01:59 AM
[expletive deleted]!!!!

I had typed out a great response to both you BiggerFoot and GeauxSaints and guess what? The stupid forum logged me out for some stupid reason and so I lost my post... [expletive deleted]!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, I'm going to bed 'cause I have to work at 7:30 a.m., but I'll get on the computer and type something this morning at work!

GermanSaint
03-03-2007, 04:05 AM
how do you like mine ?

1. Aaron Ross , CB Texas
2. David Harris , LB Michigan
3. Brendan Mebane , DT California
4. Rhema McKnight , WR Notre Dame
4. Mansfield Wrotto , OG Georgia Tech
4. Marvin White , S TCU
5. Michael Allan , TE Whitworth
6. CB/RT Prospect
7. QB/RTProspect

Saints Dome Patrol
03-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Okay, here I go again... this time, I'm typing out my response on WordPad... *sigh*

thanks for the insight, I am always happy to take constructive criticism, which you gave
How do you see the Saints draft going and possibly how Free Agency will go?
Here are some of my opinions for possible first round choices (in no particular order)
Leon Hall, Darrelle Revis, Chris Houston, Patrick Willis, Lawrence Timmons, Paul Posluszny, Greg Olsen, Ted Ginn.

BiggerFoot, first and foremost, welcome to the forum. It's great to have another Saints fan here on the forum! :)

Now like I said before, kudos on being the first to take a stab at the Draft, and thanks for being able to take constructive criticism. Not everyone takes it well, and I think it speaks volumes about your character.

As most people on this forum agree, I doubt that the Saints will be able to make any big splashes in free agency. They already have re-signed DT Hollis Thomas, TE Billy Miller and like it or not, franchised DE Darren... heh, oops, Charles Grant and re-signed him for at least one year. Judging by all the recent monumental signings, I really don't see the Saints getting someone like Adalius Thomas or an expensive player like that. As stated in this forum, the Saints are hosting LB Brian Simmons and CB/S Ken Hamlin today. While I'm not totally sold on Simmons, since he is 32 and already been in the league 10 years, and his productivity has decreased over the last three seasons, I'd be really excited to get Hamlin. Hamlin is a hard-hitter and would be an obvious upgrade for our secondary. The only hang-up on Hamlin is that he had a severe head injury in 2005 and that might be a bit of a concern.

Now, as for the Draft, the only unfortunate thing with having a great season this past year, is now we're drafting at the bottom of the first round. At twenty-seven, some of the bigger names might not be available, including several of the names on your list. Honestly, I would assume (and I hope I'm wrong) but players like linebacker Patrick Willis, cornerbacks Leon Hall, Chris Houston, and Darelle Revis as well as wide receiver Ted Ginn, Jr. would probably be gone by the time we're on the clock. Lastly, as good as tight end Greg Olsen is, the fact remains that defense is a bigger need for the Saints, especially in the first round.

That being said, I really like Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny. According to what I've heard, Posluszny can play in the middle or on the outside, and I think someone like him would be a huge upgrade for our linebacking corps. He's instinctive, has "premier" intangibles (according to Scott) and is smart and a team leader. Especially after missing on a linebacker a least the last two years, I'd be estatic to get Posluszny.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Post your Saints mock drafts here! :D

Saints Dome Patrol
03-03-2007, 11:08 AM
On to the second half...

I dont like Olsen in the first round for us. While I understand his appeal, it was our defense that kept us out of the super bowl. I dont like billy miller, so i would like to see us pick a TE - not in the first round though. we can get one in the later rounds, and give him a little time to mature. here is my mock:

1 Patrick Willis
2 Tanard Jackson
3 Brandon Siler
4 Antonio Johnson
4 Steve Smith
4 Ben Patrick
5 trade: CB/S Jordan Babineaux
6 John Talley

i may have missed this somewhere else, but what do yall think about us going after joey porter. i know he would cost some serious money, but he would give our defense an identity. i think he has the kind of attiude that could really help some of our younger players. i also like nate clements over dre bly . i would love to see us get adalius thomas too.

Well, first as you probably already know, Denver traded for Dre Bly, the 49ers made Nate Clements the first ever ten million dollar-a-year defensive player, and Adalius Thomas will probably will end up signing with New England some time in the next few hours.

As for Joey Porter, I don't know about him. Honestly, he's a solid player but I'm not big on his attitude. He's got quite a mouth on him, and I'm not sure if he's worth the money he'd probably want.

Now, with your Draft, I'm going to do the same thing that I did for BiggerFoot and go pick by pick.

As much as I'd love to have Patrick Willis, I doubt that he'd be around when we pick at twenty-seven. I really think that he's gone sometime in early in the first round. I mean, it would be excellent if he's there, and if he is, we thank God and run our pick to the podium.

In the second round, I don't know enough about Tarnard Jackson, but he seems like he's solid, but not spectacular. If someone like cornerback Aaron Ross from Texas is available, I'd prefer him to Jackson, but we'll see who's still there at the end of the second round.

Not sold on Brandon Siler. He should have gone back to Florida for his senior season. Just wanted to take advantage on Florida's national championship. But, that's just my opinion.

That being said, I love the fourth round... minus Antonio Johnson. I don't feel like he's worth a fourth round selection. However, both Steve Smith and Ben Patrick would be great steals late in the fourth round. I'd be happy if we could get one of these two in April, but you have us getting both, which would be excellent.

If we end up signing cornerback/safety Ken Hamlin in free agency, I don't think that there's a reason to trade for Jordan Babineaux. If we don't, then I don't know. I know that some people on this forum *coughdiabsoulecough* are big on him, but I'm not completely sold on him.

Lastly, I don't know anything about John Talley, but he would fill a need.

Overall, I would absolutely if we would get Willis in the first and even just one of the two fourth rounders you had us getting. A couple of the picks aren't the best, either because they're too early or I'm not fond of the particular player. But, again, this is just my opinion, and compliments for posting your mock draft so early in the off-season.

GeauxSaints
03-03-2007, 10:12 PM
On to the second half...

Well, first as you probably already know, Denver traded for Dre Bly, the 49ers made Nate Clements the first ever ten million dollar-a-year defensive player, and Adalius Thomas will probably will end up signing with New England some time in the next few hours.

As for Joey Porter, I don't know about him. Honestly, he's a solid player but I'm not big on his attitude. He's got quite a mouth on him, and I'm not sure if he's worth the money he'd probably want.

Now, with your Draft, I'm going to do the same thing that I did for BiggerFoot and go pick by pick.

As much as I'd love to have Patrick Willis, I doubt that he'd be around when we pick at twenty-seven. I really think that he's gone sometime in early in the first round. I mean, it would be excellent if he's there, and if he is, we thank God and run our pick to the podium.

In the second round, I don't know enough about Tarnard Jackson, but he seems like he's solid, but not spectacular. If someone like cornerback Aaron Ross from Texas is available, I'd prefer him to Jackson, but we'll see who's still there at the end of the second round.

Not sold on Brandon Siler. He should have gone back to Florida for his senior season. Just wanted to take advantage on Florida's national championship. But, that's just my opinion.

Yep Bly, Clements, and Thomas all moved after that last post. I had no idea of the money Clements was asking for, to hell with him.

I agree that Willis will probably not be there, but I was being optimistic.

I would list Jackson as my #1 in the second round and Ross as #1a. I think they are similar in skill level, and obviously either of them would be a dramatic improvement.

I disagree with you on Siler. I have had the opportunity to watch this guy in person, and he would be an absolute steal in the third. If he had gone back for his senior year, he would have been very similar to D. Ryans and would have been drafted in the late first early second of the 2008 draft. As it stands now, we could get a tremendous talent and let him develop for a year. By drafting either Willis or Posluszny we would already be adding depth, so Siler would not have to be an every down player (even though I think he would be) and we could still rely on our serviceable, yet aging current LB corps.

Obviously that fourth round would be amazing, but I doubt they will all be there.

Talley is a CB from Duke that will be little more than a nickel or dime back. He will give us some much needed depth, and he is someone who could get overlooked because of where he played.

Biggerfoot the problem I have with Olsen in the first has nothing to do with his talent. I am sure everyone agrees he is one of the top TE’s in this years class, but I don’t think it is our biggest need. You say that LB and CB are very deep this year, well that is great because we need at least 2 CB’s and 1 LB to step in and be starters next year. This is something that the coaching staff realizes and they are going to address the biggest area of weakness as early and as often in the draft as they can. Welcome to the board.

I would put our needs in this order:
CB**
LB
DT
WR
OL

BiggerFoot
03-04-2007, 02:58 AM
well some more info on Greg Olsen, his pro-day was yesterday at Miami, never the less he impressed yet agian. In his workout he ran a 4.41 short shuttle (faster than Merriweather) a TE faster than a top prospect safety. He also out jumped Merriweather in the long jump with a 9 foot 11 inch jump. He is shaping up to be a lock for a 1st round pick and could be a steal at our pick, I am hoping for Olsen to fall to the Saints

As for Kareem he has really disappointed with his sub-par workouts not excelling in anything speed or strength. But a counterpart of his Baraka Atkins can play both the DE and DT so his versatility would be very nice. He has good size and speed and has played both DT and DE in college. But most importantly he is good against the run.
and so I am tweaking my mock a little
Olsen
Bennett
Atkins/Barnes (whomever we feel might not make it to the 4th)
Barnes/Atkins
Bishop
A.J. Davis
Medlock
Legedu Naanee WR (project)

Saints Dome Patrol
03-06-2007, 08:18 PM
how do you like mine ?

1. Aaron Ross , CB Texas
2. David Harris , LB Michigan
3. Brendan Mebane , DT California
4. Rhema McKnight , WR Notre Dame
4. Mansfield Wrotto , OG Georgia Tech
4. Marvin White , S TCU
5. Michael Allan , TE Whitworth
6. CB/RT Prospect
7. QB/RTProspect

Well, it happened again. I was in the middle of writing a great response to your mock draft and this time, Windows decided to be stupid and crash. So, I'm going to try this one more time.

As I've been telling everybody, I'm just giving my opinion, round by round. Again, this is just my opinion, and I appreciate that everyone has accepted the constructive criticism in stride.

I absolutely love the first round pick. Especially since, to this point, we have not signed a free agent cornerback in free agency. Aaron Ross would be a great fit and a huge upgrade over Fred Thomas or Jason Craft. I like Ross a lot, not only since he was the Thorpe Award winner but also that he is a Texas guy. Ross looks like he could be our number 2 cornerback this season, but in a few years, who knows? He might replace Mike McKenzie and become our number one cornerback.

As for David Harris in round two, I don't know enough about him, but I have heard that he's more of a 3-4 "run thumper" than a true middle linebacker. Personally, I think that someone like Harris could come in and learn from both Mark Simoneau and Brian Simmons and might be a good project player.

The third round pick of Brandon Mebane definitely fills a need at defensive tackle. Scott's write-up makes him seem like an adequate back-up and we could certainly use depth behind Hollis Thomas and Brian Young.

I also really like your fourth round. All the players you have us getting are positions of need and seem to be solid players.

With the fifth rounder, I think you reached on Michael Allan. I don't know enough about him, but it doesn't seem like he's worth a fifth rounder.

And with the last two rounds, I agree, another cornerback, a backup quarterback or even a backup linebacker would be solid selections for us. Right tackle, I'm not sure, since we re-signed Jon Stinchcomb and we still have Zach Strief.

All and all, I think you did an excellent job and hope that we're lucky if most of what you projected comes true come April! :D

diabsoule
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Here's my turn at a quick Saints mock:

1. LB Paul Posluszny
2. CB Tanard Jackson
3. TE Ben Patrick
4. LB Anthony Waters
4. WR Steve Smith
4. DT Jay Alford
5. OT/OG Allen Barbre
6. CB John Talley
7. K Nick Folk

Saints Dome Patrol
03-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Here's my turn at a quick Saints mock:

1. LB Paul Posluszny
2. CB Tanard Jackson
3. TE Ben Patrick
4. LB Anthony Waters
4. WR Steve Smith
4. DT Jay Alford
5. OT/OG Allen Barbre
6. CB John Talley
7. K Nick Folk

Well now, it's my turn to critique diabsoule's mock draft... *rubs hands with glee*... :D

I really like the first round selection, since as you all already know, I'm a big fan of Paul Posluszny, and he's one of the players actually that might be available at twenty-seven. Even after signing Brian Simmons, we could still use another linebacker, especially one who's young and dependable. I think that Posluszny could be a solid playmaker for our defense and be a starter for our team for several years.

In the second, you have us getting Tanard Jackson, and he seems to be a solid selection. The only thing that concerns me, is Jackson's character issues. Other than that, he seems like a good pickup and definitely fills another one of our needs.

Now, I'm not against us getting Ben Patrick, especially since he (besides Olsen) is one of the most balanced tight ends in the Draft, but I don't know if he's worthy of a third round selection. I do agree that someone of his magnitude would be a solid selection, but I think that we might be reaching if we get Patrick here.

In the fourth, I'm excited and confused, all at the same time. I like the acquistion of wide receiver Steve Smith, but I'm not fond of the Anthony Waters pick. I think that we need to stay away from someone with his injury concerns. And in regards to Jay Alford, I don't disagree that it would fill a positional need, but I don't know if we should get someone like him so early.

Obviously, I don't know enough about Allen Barbre to say one way or another. I do agree that it adds depth, so I wouldn't be totally against it. I must say; however, that you (diabsoule) are always after offensive lineman that look like child molestors. Are you trying to tell us something? ;)

It seems that everyone likes us getting John Talley in the sixth, so I won't repeat myself.

Lastly, you have us getting kicker Nick Folk from Arizona. He doesn't seem to have the accuracy that we would need from a kicker. Could be just me, but if it's between picking him and getting a free agent, I'd get the free agent.

I do like a large number of your selections, especially Posluszny and Steve Smith, but we'll have to wait and see what happens, especially what the team's needs will be after free agency.

Auron
03-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm going to begin working on my Saints first round big board, and 7 round mock draft...Hopefully I'll have it up by tomorrow.

Unfortunately I got caught up in some business today and couldn't finish everything... I will work on it on Saturday though.

diabsoule
03-09-2007, 02:51 AM
I'm going to begin working on my Saints first round big board, and 7 round mock draft...Hopefully I'll have it up by tomorrow.

I look forward to it.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Okay, since I've critiqued everyone else's mock draft to this point, I figured I should put my money where my mouth is and post my mock draft.

Now, again, this is before all of free agency is over, but here is my Saints mock draft, round by round.

Now, in the first round, I think that our need will either be linebacker or cornerback. With the Saints getting LB Brian Simmons in the off-season so far, and re-signing Scott Shanle, but not landing a free agent corner yet, I think that cornerback would be the pick here over linebacker. Again, as I've said earlier, players like Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis would probably be gone, so here's my pick for the Saints at twenty-seven...

http://static.flickr.com/54/250863451_e18cba15f4_o.jpg

Chris Houston, cornerback, University of Arkansas

Now, with the Saints picking near the end of the second round as well, I think that a majority of the bigger name players would be gone. Looking to provide some quality depth here, the Saints again look to a defensive player...

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/26/269283.jpg

Quinn Pitcock, defensive tackle, Ohio State University

Okay, now with the Saints getting a legitmate starting cornerback and now a top defensive tackle to learn from Hollis Thomas and Brian Young, the Saints look to add another player to the defense with the next selection, this time in the third round...

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/0823/ncf_w_blades_195.jpg

H.B. Blades, inside linebacker, University of Pittsburgh

Now on to Day Two...

After getting three straight defensive players in the first three rounds, I think that it might be time for the Saints to get their first offensive player... here's hoping that this guy will still be available in the fourth round...

Steve Smith, wide receiver, University of Southern California

Now, with the Saints getting three defensive players, and now a wide receiver, the Saints continue to address depth at key positions. Even after getting Eric Johnson in free agency, I think that the Saints could use a young back-up tight end who could take over if Johnson doesn't pan out or the other two continue to be hampered with injuries.

Matt Spaeth, tight end, University of Minnesota

Now, with the second selection of the fourth round, the Saints look to add more quality depth at key positions. Here's another player that I think can add depth to a position of need.

Andy Alleman, guard, University of Akron

Now, if even part of the first four rounds go the way I want, that'd be great. Now, on to the fifth round...

I think with the fifth round here, I'm not certain what I would want the Saints to target... but there's a bevy of cornerbacks that could add depth, so here goes...

Travarous Bain, cornerback, Hampton University

So now, the Saints have picked up two cornerbacks, a linebacker, a defensive tackle, a wide receiver, a tight end, and an offensive guard. What's left?

In my opinion, we need a good quality back-up quarterback to learn from Drew Brees since Jamie Martin is no Spring chicken... here's someone that not many people have mentioned, but I'm high on this guy...

John Beck, quarterback, Brigham Young University

And now, lastly, in the seventh round, the Saints could just pick someone that would be a camp body. I'm not sure what the Saints need here, since it is the last round and all. Against my best judgment...here's my last selection for the Saints...

Andrew Wellock, kicker, Eastern Michigan University

So, that's my mock draft for the Saints...in review:

First Round: Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas
Second Round: Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State
Third Round: H.B. Blades, ILB, Pitt
Fourth Round (a): Steve Smith, WR, USC
Fourth Round (b): Matt Spaeth, TE, Minnesota
Fourth Round (c): Andy Alleman, OG, Akron
Fifth Round: Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton
Sixth Round: John Beck, QB, BYU
Seventh Round: Andrew Wellock, K, Eastern Michigan

So what do y'all think? I think that this draft would not only be solid, but spectacular, in my opinion... :D

Auron
03-10-2007, 01:52 PM

I like that mock pretty much addressed all the needs..Hopefully I'll have my own mock up in a few hours, still working on it.

diabsoule
03-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Here is my analysis of your mock:

It seems that people have become amazed with Houston due to his showing at the combine. I, however, have still remained skeptical about him. He showed a lot of promise and potential during his tenure at Arkansas and I think he could possibly turn into a shutdown corner at the next level but I think his bust factor his extremely high. If he is the best player available when we pick then I am not against selecting him because he would definitely address a need. I would, however, like to see us rather go with someone like Aaron Ross or Marcus McCauley over Houston.

Grade: B

If the Saints land Pitcock in the second, which seems to be a distinct possiblity because he has seen his stock fall quite a bit, then I believe it would be a major acquisition. Although I don't see Pitcock as ever being a superstar, I think he could be solid. He reminds me of a more athetlic Kyle Williams or a Chris Hovan. I think he'd be a great person to learn under Hollis Thomas.

Grade: A-

I really like this pick. I'm a big fan of Blades and I think he could be a really nice pick-up for the Saints. I think learning behind Simmons would really help him. The only thing I'm worried about concerning Blades is his sub-par coverage skills. All in all, I really like the pick.

Grade: A

This is another pick that I really like. Smith reminds me of Joe Horn a good bit in that he is a decent blocker, knows how to get open, is a good route-runner, and is deceptively quick. His 40 time at the combine really helped him out and I think him playing alongside Marques Colston would be a really good duo.

Grade: A

The second day allows you to take a few more risks than you would on the first and this pick definitely fits the risk taking category. Before his injury, Matt Spaeth was probably a Day One selection. Now with his injury he will fall to the second. I'm not quite sure how he'll recover from the injury. If he recovers well, then great. If not, then we're back to the drawing board. While I like Spaeth and it does seem like he will be one of the best TE's left available at this time I am a little uncertain about his recovery. I'm going to grade this pick lower based on the risk factor.

Grade: B-

I like Alleman pick as I'm not completely sold on Jamar Nesbit at LG. The only thing about Alleman is his lack of lower body strength and the level of competition he played against. I think other guys that we could look at with this pick are Allen Barbe and Kyle Young. I am also worried about how Alleman would fit into our blocking scheme.

Grade: C+

Throughout recent years there have been a number of smaller school defensive backs come in and make a difference. Bain could possibly be one of the next guys to do it. He needs to add weight, even though he has the speed already. I am also concerned about him moving from the University of Miami down a level in competition by transferring to Hampton. I like the pick as it gives us some depth at a major position of need and I see some potential in Bain.

Grade: B

Overall, I really like this mock as it addresses all of our positions of need and gives us depth in positions that lack them now. I think it is fairly realistic and this could well be how our draft pans out. There are a few players I'd like to see be taken, or some that could be considered more over the players you have listed, but it is a very nice draft. Good job!

Overall grade -- B

Auron
03-11-2007, 02:55 PM
FINALLY I got around to finishing my big board, and mock.. I had to re-do my whole mock after I messed up, my new one is a bit optimistic but it's just how it played out.

Here's my personal 1st round Big Board, basically I would be happy if we landed any of these players somehow in the first round.

Auron's Big Board (http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/Memo229/NOmock.jpg?t=1173642526)

- I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea of Griffin, at first I was against taking a safety early but with the safety problems if everyone else is gone I think he'd be a fine pick up. I didn't rank any WR's but if Bowe/Meachem/ or Ginn are there I would take a serious look at them as well. I'm not as a high on Tank Tyler as others but he is a possibility, and Weddle has recently been climbing up draft boards and has a good chance at being a late 1st rounder.

Here's the Mock
Auron's Saints Draft 1.2 (http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/Memo229/NoAuMock1.jpg?t=1173642769)

* Dang it it won't let me post the picture so I have to link it...and I lost my other write up. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

diabsoule
03-11-2007, 06:14 PM
FINALLY I got around to finishing my big board, and mock.. I had to re-do my whole mock after I messed up, my new one is a bit optimistic but it's just how it played out.

Here's my personal 1st round Big Board, basically I would be happy if we landed any of these players somehow in the first round.

Auron's Big Board (http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/Memo229/NOmock.jpg?t=1173642526)

- I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea of Griffin, at first I was against taking a safety early but with the safety problems if everyone else is gone I think he'd be a fine pick up. I didn't rank any WR's but if Bowe/Meachem/ or Ginn are there I would take a serious look at them as well. I'm not as a high on Tank Tyler as others but he is a possibility, and Weddle has recently been climbing up draft boards and has a good chance at being a late 1st rounder.

Here's the Mock
Auron's Saints Draft 1.2 (http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/Memo229/NoAuMock1.jpg?t=1173642769)

* Dang it it won't let me post the picture so I have to link it...and I lost my other write up. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

I really, really like the mock. I'll give a more detailed explanation later.

Flyboy
03-11-2007, 08:12 PM
That is absolutely a terrific mock Auron!

TigerBait45
03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
If Revis falls to the Saints I would be ecstatic. Chris Houston or Aaron Ross seem more likely, and both seem to have almost unlimited potential, so I'd be happy with any of the three.

Flyboy
03-11-2007, 10:08 PM
If Revis falls to the Saints I would be ecstatic. Chris Houston or Aaron Ross seem more likely, and both seem to have almost unlimited potential, so I'd be happy with any of the three.

I'm thinking Houston is going to go pretty damn early. I think Ross and Revis will be more in our range -- I also expect some draft day trades just like last year as well.

Auron
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM

That's why I'm awaiting March 16th, Pittsburgh's Pro day.

In the slight possibility Revis runs an average time around 4.4 that might be enough to slide him down a bit, he's aiming for a lower 4.3 which he is capable of running..and if he gets it his value will go back up.

I think he'll work out very well because individual pro days can maximize conditions, but we'll see.

diabsoule
03-12-2007, 02:13 AM
1.27 -- CB Darrelle Revis, Pitt
This is an excellent value right here as Revis is the second best cornerback prospect in the draft. I think he'd be very good for our cornerback scheme, especially due to his size, long arms, and fluid hips. I also like that he supports the run well and is a solid tackler. The only drawback I see to him is that his aggressive nature sometimes gets the better of him and he's going to have to learn to refine and hone that on the next level. I think it's a great pick and if Revis falls to us then it would be a draft day gift from the football gods.

Grade -- A

2.58 -- DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee
Harrell is a great prospect in his own right, and is right underneath the top DT's in this draft. He showed what kind of dedication and heart he had last year in the game against Florida where he had a very serious injury but still played. He's a big body run-stuffer who would be able to come in and spell Hollis Thomas or Bryan Young in run situations. The only concern, and it is a big enough concern for me that I have to lower the grade on this pick, I have about him is how well he recovers from his injury.

Grade -- B+

3.89 -- TE Ben Patrick, Delaware
After the University of Miami's Greg Olsen, I think the top TE in the draft is small school prospect Ben Patrick. He is equally adept at running routes and using soft hands to catch the ball as he is at staying along the line and adding extra protection in running situations. For me, he is the best all-around TE in this year's draft. My only concern about him is his that when he played at Duke his production wasn't all that great and he didn't start to emerge until he went down a level in competition. Still, a hell of a pick and one of my favorites.

Grade -- A+

4.119 -- WR Steve Smith, USC
This is another pick that I really like. Smith reminds me of Joe Horn a good bit in that he is a decent blocker, knows how to get open, is a good route-runner, and is deceptively quick. His 40 time at the combine really helped him out and I think him playing alongside Marques Colston would be a really good duo.

Grade -- A

4.121 LB Tim Shaw, Penn State
Tim Shaw is a true team player. He showed that by playing numerous positions in his time at Penn State. He has a tremendous worth ethic and motor. He is a true jack-of-all-trades and it is hard to project him to a certain position and scheme. In the Saints 4-3, he can either be used as an undersized pass rusher or as an outside linebacker. I really like this guy, but I do think that he would be better off in a 3-4. His coverage skills leave a lot to be desired, so I don't think he would be an adequate Will backer. Like I said, I do like the pick, I just don't know what the Saints could do with him. He might possibly be projected to a MLB.

Grade: C

4.122 -- CB Michael Coe, Alabama State
Coe is one of my top sleeper prospects. He had a terrific showing at the East-West Shrine Game and did an admirable job at the Senior Bowl. He has the physical tools in order to make it into the NFL and succeed. He also should perform well in the Saints scheme. I have the same trepidation about him that I do about Ben Patrick.

Grade: B+

5.153 -- DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
Another intriguing prospect in the vein of Tim Shaw. He could be productive as a pass rush specialist. He reminds me of last year's draft choice, Rob Ninkovich. The reasoning your provided for the pick is more than adequate and I wouldn't be suprised if we took a chance on him based on his collegiate production. My only concern would be if he has maxed out his potential, but he seems like a player and I like the pick.

Grade -- B

6.184 -- OT Allen Barbre, Missouri Southern St.
7.201 -- K Andrew Wellock, Eastern Michigan
I like both of these guys, but due to them being in the sixth and seventh round I will refrain from grading.

Overall, this draft might be slightly optimistic but does not dive into the realm of impossiblity. If this draft happened I would be very happy.

Overall grade -- B+

Auron
03-16-2007, 06:39 PM
NFL | Revis runs impressive 40-yard dash
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:19:40 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports Pittsburgh CB Darrelle Revis ran between 4.38 and 4.40 seconds in the 40-yard dash as part of his Pro Day workout Friday, March 16.

That's a good time, I think he'll go in the 15-25 range.. all it takes is a little slipping though.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Sveen, I finally got around to reading your four round mock draft, and believe me, there were some "eye-opening" picks in there for the Saints. I'd really like it if you could post all your Saints picks (rounds 1-7) and your explanations. :)

Please...? :D

Saints Dome Patrol
03-17-2007, 08:43 AM
In Scott Wright's latest mock, he now has us getting Texas CB Aaron Ross in the first, LSU WR Craig "Buster" Davis in the second, and Tennessee DT Turk McBride in the third.

Personally, I'm not sure about Turk McBride, but that's due to durability concerns and the fact that he's a tad bit undersized.

But, what do you guys think?

Saints Dome Patrol
03-17-2007, 10:56 AM
I had an interesting idea while I was sitting here at work...

Now, I feel that all the Saints fans on here are quite knowledgable about not only our team needs, but also who might (and might not) be availabe at our selections.

So what I thought, why not have an interactive poll, and see what the Saints fans think that we should do with the twenty-seventh overall selection. And if this goes well, we can continue through the entire seven rounds.

(note: I'm only putting up players who I believe will be available at our pick. If you think the Saints will pick someone I don't have as an option, leave a comment why.)

Without further adieu, here are the nominees...

Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas

Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State

Dwayne Jarrett, WR, Southern Cal

Or trade the selection away?

*.*

There are your choices, you be the GM... what would you do with the Saints' first round selection?

Auron
03-17-2007, 01:10 PM
I would take CB, 1 of those 3 should be there whichever one you like is all preference.

If none of the CBs are there I'd take Poz in a second.

if all are gone it gets tricky.. I guess Jarrett would be very good value at 27. I'd rather go Defense though as this is a very deep WR class and you can find good receivers later.

Auron
03-17-2007, 01:36 PM
In Scott Wright's latest mock, he now has us getting Texas CB Aaron Ross in the first, LSU WR Craig "Buster" Davis in the second, and Tennessee DT Turk McBride in the third.

I like it personally.

Ross is a standard pick. Even though I'm skeptical of going WR that early I'm really high on Craig Davis.. I think he'll be a good receiver. Don't know much about McBride but it does try and address a need.

TigerBait45
03-17-2007, 05:31 PM
If Revis is around I'd take him, with Chris Houston and Aaron Ross very close behind.

Revis looks like he could be a shut down guy very quickly in the NFL. Chris Houston has all-everything potential, and Aaron Ross is really, really polished.

I don't think the Saints could go wrong with either of the three.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-17-2007, 06:07 PM
If Revis is around I'd take him, with Chris Houston and Aaron Ross very close behind.

Revis looks like he could be a shut down guy very quickly in the NFL. Chris Houston has all-everything potential, and Aaron Ross is really, really polished.

I don't think the Saints could go wrong with either of the three.

I'd take Aaron Ross. I think Revis, Houston, and McCauley are guys with a lot of potential to be very good, but I think Ross is the closest to a "sure thing" at being a good, solid corner in the league right away.

Sveen
03-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Great idea. We should do all seven rounds :) I voted for Ross btw, but I think Houston, Ross and Revis all would be good selections.

Sveen
03-18-2007, 12:42 PM
If Lawrence Timmons is available at #27 and all the Top 3 CB's are gone. How likely is it that he could be our pick?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-18-2007, 02:40 PM
If Lawrence Timmons is available at #27 and all the Top 3 CB's are gone. How likely is it that he could be our pick?

Top 3? There are five cornerbacks in this draft that are first rounders (Hall, Ross, Revis, Houston, McCauley) and it would suck big time if they're all off the board when we pick at #27. I have a feeling at least 2 out of those 5 will still be around, though.

As for Timmons, I wouldn't be upset with that pick, but there are probably 8 or 9 guys I'd take before him. I'd actually rather reach on David Harris than take Timmons; I think Harris is the type of player Sean Payton likes and he may be the next DeMeco Ryans.

Out of the guys that I think realistically could be there for us at #27, here is how I'd rank em:
1. Aaron Ross
2. Marcus McCauley
3. Chris Houston
4. Paul Posluszny
5. Buster Davis
6. David Harris
7. Jon Beason
8. Quinn Pitcock
9. DeMarcus Tyler
10. Lawrence Timmons

I'd be happy with any of those guys, and estatic if someone like Patrick Willis or Leon Hall somehow fell to us. The only pick that would upset me is if we went offense in the first round. Our biggest needs atill are cornerback first, followed by LB and DT.

Sveen
03-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Sorry, when I said Top 3 I didn't count Leon Hall since there is no way he will fall to us. I don't see McCauley as a first rounder due to the big risk factor the pick would bring and I would personally rather see us taking Timmons than Pitcock or Tyler.

My list as of now:
1. Aaron Ross
2. Darrelle Revis / Chris Houston
4. Jon Beason
5. Lawrence Timmons
6. Paul Posluszny

Saints Dome Patrol
03-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Top 3? There are five cornerbacks in this draft that are first rounders (Hall, Ross, Revis, Houston, McCauley) and it would suck big time if they're all off the board when we pick at #27. I have a feeling at least 2 out of those 5 will still be around, though.

I would rank the cornerbacks like this:

1.) Leon Hall
2.) Chris Houston
3.) Darrelle Revis
4.) Aaron Ross
5.) Marcus McCauley

Feel free to disagree with me, but Hall will most likely be long gone before the Saints are on the clock. Houston's stock is through the roof right now and even though Revis' stock has dipped a little, his recent Pro Day workout has him at number three on my list. That leaves Aaron Ross and Marcus McCauley, and after talking to diabsoule last night, we both think that Aaron Ross might also be picked before the Saints choose at twenty-seven. If we go defensive back with our first round selection, chances are, it'll be Marcus McCauley.

As for Timmons, I wouldn't be upset with that pick, but there are probably 8 or 9 guys I'd take before him. I'd actually rather reach on David Harris than take Timmons; I think Harris is the type of player Sean Payton likes and he may be the next DeMeco Ryans.

As for the linebacker position, I think we all agree that Patrick Willis will be gone before the Saints choose at the end of the first round. And unfortunately, the same might be true for Paul Posluszny. As for Lawrence Timmons, I don't know that much about him, except he's extremely raw. Personally, choosing him might be a gamble, even with his tremendous upside. I also know that Jon Beason might be around. I suppose he's a possibility. Lastly, I'm not sure about David Harris because he seems to be more suited to a 3-4. I could be wrong, though.

SouthernPride396
03-19-2007, 10:54 AM
I like Houston's speed, ability, and potential, but he isn't very polished. He gets overconfident and jumps routes, sometimes getting it wrong and giving up the big play. He has a tendency to shut down his man for most of the game, but give up two or so big plays.

Could his discipline be fixed in the NFL? Very possibly, but the Saints need a starting CB right now that specifically DOESN'T give up the big play.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I would rank the cornerbacks like this:

1.) Leon Hall
2.) Chris Houston
3.) Darrelle Revis
4.) Aaron Ross
5.) Marcus McCauley

Feel free to disagree with me, but Hall will most likely be long gone before the Saints are on the clock. Houston's stock is through the roof right now and even though Revis' stock has dipped a little, his recent Pro Day workout has him at number three on my list. That leaves Aaron Ross and Marcus McCauley, and after talking to diabsoule last night, we both think that Aaron Ross might also be picked before the Saints choose at twenty-seven. If we go defensive back with our first round selection, chances are, it'll be Marcus McCauley.

As for the linebacker position, I think we all agree that Patrick Willis will be gone before the Saints choose at the end of the first round. And unfortunately, the same might be true for Paul Posluszny. As for Lawrence Timmons, I don't know that much about him, except he's extremely raw. Personally, choosing him might be a gamble, even with his tremendous upside. I also know that Jon Beason might be around. I suppose he's a possibility. Lastly, I'm not sure about David Harris because he seems to be more suited to a 3-4. I could be wrong, though.

I do agree that Leon Hall will most probably be gone before the Saints are on the clock, but nothing would surprise me. He isn't really a guy being talked about as a stone cold lock for the top 15, and there also isn't too much separating the top corners in this draft, so a team might want to take a gamble on Houston or McCauley's enormous potential, over the more polished player (but with a lower ceiling) in Hall. Hall and Revis are the most likely to be gone, but I feel like a combination of any 2 out of the five will still be around when the Saints pick, and honestly I would not be surprised with any.

If Willis and Puz are gone and we go linebacker, I'd really hope it's Beason. I think he's a more polished player and better suited to move inside than Timmons. One line in Scott's report on Beason makes me excited that he could be a real possibility: "Has a motor that never stops... Fantastic leader with excellent intangibles." That is exactly the type of player we need on defense. I also don't think the gap in talent and potential between Beason and Timmons is very big at all.

Auron
03-19-2007, 06:33 PM
I like Houston's speed, ability, and potential, but he isn't very polished. He gets overconfident and jumps routes, sometimes getting it wrong and giving up the big play. He has a tendency to shut down his man for most of the game, but give up two or so big plays.

Could his discipline be fixed in the NFL? Very possibly, but the Saints need a starting CB right now that specifically DOESN'T give up the big play.

I don't think Houston is that bad of a gambler, all 3 of his interceptions this season came while he was playing latch and trail on the inside hip of his receiver. He took pretty well calculated risks. He has fluid hip rotation in transition, he has shown the discipline to stay with the receiver on double moves.

I actually believe his main weaknesses are sometimes he gets too tall coming out of his backpedal and allows an inside release too easy, and his play recognition could improve. Both of those things you can fix in the NFL.

I'd rank the CB's like this:
1. Leon Hall
2. Darrelle Revis
3. Chris Houston
4. Aaron Ross
5. Marcus McCauley

Saints Dome Patrol
03-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I'd rank the CB's like this:
1. Leon Hall
2. Darrelle Revis
3. Chris Houston
4. Aaron Ross
5. Marcus McCauley

The only reason I have Houston over Revis in my order of cornerbacks, is because his stock has increased exponentially in the last few weeks and Revis' stock has fallen a little bit. Also, I think that more people would take a gamble on Houston and his upside/potential.

TigerBait45
03-19-2007, 08:37 PM
I really like Houston's potential, but I think Revis is more of a sure thing. Houston could end up being a Pro-Bowler for years, but I think Revis is more likely to be good, and faster.

diabsoule
03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
The only reason I have Houston over Revis in my order of cornerbacks, is because his stock has increased exponentially in the last few weeks and Revis' stock has fallen a little bit. Also, I think that more people would take a gamble on Houston and his upside/potential.

I agree with you, SDP. The workout that Houston had at the Scouting Combine was nothing short of spectacular and now player saw his stock soar more during that week than Houston. In my opinion, Houston has jumped Revis for now. Houston may lose ground and Revis may gain some as the draft nears but as of now Houston is the #2 CB on the board behind Hall, who solidified himself as the #1 CB on the board at the Scouting Combine.

My CB rankings are this:
1. Leon Hall, Michigan
2. Chris Houston, Arkansas
3. Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh
4. Aaron Ross, Texas
5. Marcus McCauley, Fresno State

Don't be suprised if McCauley makes up some ground from now to the day of the draft. He has all the physical traits that would make him a stand-out CB at the next level. He had a down senior year but his workouts and interviews can really raise his stock.

Auron
03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
So now begs the question, which teams in front of us will take a Corner?

the way I see it, these teams possibly might take a CB.

12. Buffalo - first team that might take a CB to replace Clements, I actually don't think they will because I've heard they have much more pressing needs but it's still a possibility. (estimated likelihood 5/10)

18. Cincinnati - I think they are a very likely candidate to take CB, and one of our guys will go off the board here. (estimated likelihood 9/10)

19. Tennessee - Possible interest in a CB due to Pacman's situation however with the signing of Harper, and pressing needs at WR, DL they might go with those options instead. (estimated likelihood 6/10)

20. NY Giants - CB is one of their more pressing needs I think they'll see good value here at one of these spots. (estimated likelihood 7/10

25. NY Jets - the last road block IMO before we can figure out who will drop to us..they have some need at the CB spot and if there's a top guy around this pick we may have to jump them if we want to nab them. (estimated likelihood 7/10)

Overall I see 5 possible teams that might pick a CB.. (although there's always a chance someone will bypass a need to pick BPA) I think Hall will go first of the board, at either around the 12-18 range. Which means Revis, Houston, Ross will have to get by picks 19, 20 and 25.

I have no clue how this will play out.

Flyboy
03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
I'd put Houston and Dallas as teams that may select a CB before us.

Also, I went with Chris Houston.

Auron
03-19-2007, 09:41 PM
I'd put Houston and Dallas as teams that may select a CB before us.

Also, I went with Chris Houston.

I agree with you that the Cowboys are a likely candidate to take BPA, and that might just be a CB.

If the Texans stay in the top 10, I don't think they'll take a Corner. Right now it doesn't look like any CB in this class will go top 10, (possibly Hall) but who knows how these teams have prospects graded.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-19-2007, 09:48 PM
If McCauley would have had a better senior year, I think that he'd be ranked higher, but as it is, he's ranked fifth on my list.

That being said, I think that as it is, Hall, Houston, Revis, even Ross, might be gone by the time the Saints end up picking at twenty-seven.

If that's the case, would y'all be okay with picking McCauley? Or would you rather see us choosing someone else?

etk
03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
You guys need to take the best available corner, I think it's the most obvious need and pick in the 2nd half of the first round.

Auron
03-19-2007, 09:56 PM
That being said, I think that as it is, Hall, Houston, Revis, even Ross, might be gone by the time the Saints end up picking at twenty-seven.

If that's the case, would y'all be okay with picking McCauley? Or would you rather see us choosing someone else?

I think McCauley is a guy who has all the physical tools, and measurables, but as you noted I'm very concerned about his poor Senior season..

Overall if everyone else was off the board I wouldn't mind the pick, especially if the coaching staff thinks they can work with him. The closer we get to Draft day the more I think McCauley is going to be the pick...which could be a great thing, or bad thing down the line he's very Boom/Bust.

Flyboy
03-19-2007, 11:03 PM
which could be a great thing, or bad thing down the line he's very Boom/Bust.

Which is true but the same thing can be said about Chris Houston and I have him as my #1 CB available.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Thought you might find this interesting...talking Draft and all.

ESPN's Count Chocula, I mean, Mel Kiper, Jr. just said on the Baltimore Ravens "On The Clock" that he feels that Marcus McCauley is a third round selection? Can you believe that?

I know he's supposed to be a draft expert and all, but is he serious? Did he really have that bad of a senior year?

Also, on the same vein, I don't know if y'all have been keeping up with this series of segments, but I hate how they're doing them in reverse order! It's like "Oh, gee, we don't know who's going to be there, so let's just pick someone..."

:rolleyes:

Sometimes, I hate ESPN.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 01:54 AM
One thing that's surprised me so far, is that no one (as of yet) has shown any love for Paul Posluszny. Is that because you guys don't think he'll be available at twenty-seven, don't think he's worthy of the pick, or that cornerback is a bigger need?

Just curious...

Flyboy
03-20-2007, 07:34 AM
ESPN's Count Chocula, I mean, Mel Kiper, Jr. just said on the Baltimore Ravens "On The Clock" that he feels that Marcus McCauley is a third round selection? Can you believe that?

He also has Steve Smith going in the first round to Philly. Gotta love Mel.

One thing that's surprised me so far, is that no one (as of yet) has shown any love for Paul Posluszny. Is that because you guys don't think he'll be available at twenty-seven, don't think he's worthy of the pick, or that cornerback is a bigger need?

I just feel that CB is a huge concern right now especially since it wasn't addressed in FA. Plus, this draft is VERY LB-deep. We could still select a H.B. Blades or someone like that in the 2nd round.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Tomorrow on the 5 p.m. CST SportsCenter, ESPN will have the Saints "On The Clock" with Chris Mortenson, Darren Woodson, and Count Chocula (Mel Kiper)... talking about who they should pick at 27.

Just thought I put it on here and see who's interested. I really don't like this segment, but it might be interesting to see who they think the Saints should pick.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I like it personally.

Ross is a standard pick. Even though I'm skeptical of going WR that early I'm really high on Craig Davis.. I think he'll be a good receiver. Don't know much about McBride but it does try and address a need.

Do you think that defensive tackle is a bigger need than linebacker?

Auron
03-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Do you think that defensive tackle is a bigger need than linebacker?

I think that it is.

Right now I think we're ok with Shanle - Simmons - Fujita with Simoneau as an all-purpose backup.

on the other hand I'm not too crazy about Young, Leisle, and Lake at DT.. also Hollis tends to wear down in games so he needs someone to spell him in the rotation..

however that doesn't necessarily mean we should reach for a DT, if there's good value at LB available.

Auron
03-20-2007, 07:45 PM
I'll be watching tomorrow. They also put part of the segment up on the ESPN.com website as well.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I think that it is.

Right now I think we're ok with Shanle - Simmons - Fujita with Simoneau as an all-purpose backup.

on the other hand I'm not too crazy about Young, Leisle, and Lake at DT.. also Hollis tends to wear down in games so he needs someone to spell him in the rotation..

however that doesn't necessarily mean we should reach for a DT, if there's good value at LB available.

I'm not totally sold with the Shanle-Simmons-Fujita rotation, but I agree that that trio is probably more solid than the defensive tackle rotation.

That being said, which linebacker would be worth a third round selection, in your opinion, over picking someone like defensive tackle Turk McBride, as Scott Wright has us getting?

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I'll be watching tomorrow. They also put part of the segment up on the ESPN.com website as well.

I know. That might be the only way I can see it, as I'm going to be working most of the day.

Who do you think that the "experts" will have us picking... my money is either Aaron Ross or somebody off the wall that we haven't even talked about, like Sidney Rice or somebody like that.

Auron
03-20-2007, 08:11 PM
I know. That might be the only way I can see it, as I'm going to be working most of the day.

Who do you think that the "experts" will have us picking... my money is either Aaron Ross or somebody off the wall that we haven't even talked about, like Sidney Rice or somebody like that.

I'm pretty sure the experts will mostly talk about the Cornerback need, and probably give us Ross, Houston, Revis, McCauley...

they might give us a LB like Posluszny or someone.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the experts will mostly talk about the Cornerback need, and probably give us Ross, Houston, Revis, McCauley...

they might give us a LB like Posluszny or someone.

If I'm correct, I think Chocula gave the Patriots Posluszny with the 24th selection... I could be wrong, but I think he had them getting him and Eric Weddle from Utah with their second first round selection.

How pissed would you be if they have us picking someone like Brian Leonard? I think I'd be surprised, but then given who's the "experts" per se, I wouldn't be too surprised... :rolleyes:

Flyboy
03-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Kiper's latest mock has us taking Aaron Ross

Naked Jehuty
03-20-2007, 09:26 PM
how would you guys feel about trading up to take Olsen?

Auron
03-20-2007, 09:49 PM
how would you guys feel about trading up to take Olsen?

I would be puzzled if we did that, I think with the signing of Eric Johnson, and re-signing Billy Miller that we're fine at the TE position.

If he's the Best player available at 27 then fine, but if we trade up for someone it should be an impact Defensive player.

We may add a combo TE to groom in the middle rounds of the draft, but I think we have more pressing priorities in the early rounds.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-20-2007, 10:44 PM
I would be puzzled if we did that, I think with the signing of Eric Johnson, and re-signing Billy Miller that we're fine at the TE position.

If he's the Best player available at 27 then fine, but if we trade up for someone it should be an impact Defensive player.

We may add a combo TE to groom in the middle rounds of the draft, but I think we have more pressing priorities in the early rounds.

I agree. After signing Eric Johnson, I think that we've added quality depth to our tight end position and it would be unnecessary to trade up in the first round for a tight end.

But now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints end up selecting a tight end later, someone like Ben Patrick, Matt Spaeth or Michael Allan in the middle of the Draft.

diabsoule
03-21-2007, 02:06 AM
I think we're not going to trade up to get Olsen. if he's there at our pick then I think we might seriously consider him but as far as moving up? I doubt it. I think we will really make a play at getting Ben Patrick as he's the type of player the Saints like and want.

diabsoule
03-21-2007, 02:08 AM
I think that it is.

I'm not overly impressed with the DT class this year. The LB class is much better and deeper. I would rather us draft a MLB because of Simmons age and if we can improve over what we have then I say we go for it.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Kiper's latest mock has us taking Aaron Ross

Flyboy called it, on ESPN's "On The Clock" segment, Kiper and the other two experts have us taking Texas CB Aaron Ross in the first round.

To read more, click here:
On the Clock: Saints (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2805394)

The video should be up later.

Auron
03-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Just watched the segment and read the article.

- Complimented the Offense and Payton's playcalling ability. Talked about how deep we are at the skill positions, and said the Offensive line played better than everyone thought they would.

- Mentioned Loomis' successful 1st round picks in Smith, Brown, and Bush after the Sullivan debacle.

- Talked about the obvious need in the Secondary, particularly at Corner. Said Aaron Ross would be available and be a good choice, also mentioned Eric Wright.

- Also said run stopping personnel needed to improve along the interior D-line. Kiper said we could pick up a DT in the 2nd, 3rd rounds (Mebane, McBride were names thrown around)

- Closed by saying that if we can considerably improve the Defense this draft, we will solidify ourselves as top contenders.

---
Overall was a pretty general Saints overview, nothing that most of us don't already know. CB is the main need, and the Defense has room for improvements.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Just watched the segment and read the article.

- Complimented the Offense and Payton's playcalling ability. Talked about how deep we are at the skill positions, and said the Offensive line played better than everyone thought they would.

- Mentioned Loomis' successful 1st round picks in Smith, Brown, and Bush after the Sullivan debacle.

- Talked about the obvious need in the Secondary, particularly at Corner. Said Aaron Ross would be available and be a good choice, also mentioned Eric Wright.

- Also said run stopping personnel needed to improve along the interior D-line. Kiper said we could pick up a DT in the 2nd, 3rd rounds (Mebane, McBride were names thrown around)

- Closed by saying that if we can considerably improve the Defense this draft, we will solidify ourselves as top contenders.

---
Overall was a pretty general Saints overview, nothing that most of us don't already know. CB is the main need, and the Defense has room for improvements.

I was surprised that we were actually ranked higher than I expected against the pass (third, I believe) but that we were below average against the run. I thought that they did a good job summing up what we have and what we need, but I was surprised that Kiper even mentioned UNLV's Eric Wright. Where in the world did he come from?

That said, I think his pick of Aaron Ross is what we expected. Unfortunately, Ross' stock might be climbing due to his great workout in Austin today. He might not make it all the way to twenty-seven. :(

Auron
03-21-2007, 08:55 PM
I was surprised that we were actually ranked higher than I expected against the pass (third, I believe) but that we were below average against the run. I thought that they did a good job summing up what we have and what we need, but I was surprised that Kiper even mentioned UNLV's Eric Wright. Where in the world did he come from?

That said, I think his pick of Aaron Ross is what we expected. Unfortunately, Ross' stock might be climbing due to his great workout in Austin today. He might not make it all the way to twenty-seven. :(

Well if all 4 top Corners (Hall, Revis, Houston, Ross) are gone by 27.. then I guess we'd be pretty unlucky. I'm still not ruling out jumping a few slots..to grab the guy we want. Say if either Revis, Houston, or Ross were hanging around at the 23,24 spot.. I could see us giving a 3rd/4th to jump the Jets and grab him.

Eric Wright is an intriguing prospect, he has great talent and cover ability but the incidents with the law are a big no-no in Payton's book.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Scott's newest mock draft has us getting Arkansas cornerback Chris Houston, LSU wide receiver Craig Davis, and then surprising to me, Brown inside linebacker Zak DeOssie. (who?)

Comments? Leave 'em here!

Auron
03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Scott's newest mock draft has us getting Arkansas cornerback Chris Houston, LSU wide receiver Craig Davis, and then surprising to me, Brown inside linebacker Zak DeOssie. (who?)

Not much has changed, DeOssie is small school guy who opened up some eyes at the combine.. Who has all the physical tools to be an NFL player, but is very raw and needs to become more polished.

diabsoule
03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm not overly impressed with the DT class this year. The LB class is much better and deeper. I would rather us draft a MLB because of Simmons age and if we can improve over what we have then I say we go for it.

In the first round, Chris Houston would be a great fit if we were able to get him at 27. I'd prefer Aaron Ross but Houston is a good selection.
In the second I'm leaning more towards not drafting Craig Davis. I'd rather have Ben Patrick in the 2nd. It's a slight reach but his stock keeps going up and he's the type of TE that we need to complete the offense.
In the third round, DeOssie is a good player and someone who can turn into a Zach Thomas type of LB. I like the guy a lot and I have actually been thinking of going for either him or H.B. Blades in the third. Since it's a toss-up for me to choose between either of those players, then I can say that I am happy with the pick of DeOssie.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-22-2007, 05:06 PM

Not huge on the second round WR pick, but I love the DeOssie pick. A lot of people are really big on him right now. His father played in the NFL and he went to an Ivy League school (Brown) so you know he's gotta be a smart guy. I never once saw him play, but from the looks of it he was pretty productive, and he's got great measurables.

Sveen
03-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I love the DeOssie pick. A lot of people are really big on him right now. His father played in the NFL and he went to an Ivy League school (Brown) so you know he's gotta be a smart guy. I never once saw him play, but from the looks of it he was pretty productive, and he's got great measurables.

... and he can long snap ;)

Saints Dome Patrol
03-24-2007, 11:02 AM
As picked by you, the Saints fans on NFL Draft Countdown...

http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0808/nfl_rogergoodell_195.jpg

With the twenty-seventh selection of the 2007 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select...

http://images.fannation.com/images/ap/200611181721624611256-p2.jpg
(image courtesy of Auron and the Associated Press ;))

Chris Houston, cornerback, from the University of Arkansas

Now on to round two! :D

Saints Dome Patrol
03-24-2007, 11:16 AM
http://img.search.com/thumb/d/d1/Chrisberman.jpg/180px-Chrisberman.jpg
Chris Berman: After choosing Chris Houston with their first round selection, the Saints are on the clock again with their second round selection...

You know the drill... second round time! :D

(note: I'm only putting up players who I believe will be available at our pick. If you think the Saints will pick someone I don't have as an option, leave a comment why.)

The nominees:

LB David Harris, Michigan

TE Ben Patrick, Delaware

DT Brandon Mebane, California

DT Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State

DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee

WR Craig "Buster" Davis, LSU

Someone else?

Or trade the selection away?

*.*

There are your choices, you be the GM... what would you do with the Saints' second round selection?

TigerBait45
03-24-2007, 12:50 PM
I say Justin Harrell. The Saints badly need a young DT, and Harrell looks like he could be a really solid addition to the team.

Auron
03-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these selections, they all look like good picks.

My list in order would go like:
Justin Harrell
David Harris
Ben Patrick
Craig Davis
Brandon Mebane
Quinn Pitcock

BiggerFoot
03-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I know I will catch some heat but, I just think that Sidney Rice is an awesome WR, I would love it if the Saints traded up into the early/middle of the 2nd and took Sidney if he fell that far because he is a 1st round talent but there are some great WRs this year.
Or another Idea if Quentin Moses slips to us in the 2nd he might be worth taking just for talent, he had a bad year but I think he will be a stud.
the 2nd should either be a WR/LB
in the 3rd go with LB/DT

TigerBait45
03-24-2007, 03:04 PM
I think signing Brian Simmons allows the Saints to wait until the 3rd to look at a linebacker, especially since defensive tackle is such a pressing need and this is a really deep linebacker draft.

I love Hollis Thomas and Brian Young for now, but in a few years it'll be time for someone new. If Justin Harrell or Quinn Pitcock is around it'd be pretty dumb to not take them. They both excell against the run, which is definitely something the Saints need improvement in.

diabsoule
03-24-2007, 03:13 PM
I voted for Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware.

The reason for that is because I think that Quinn Pitcock and Justin Harrell will be gone by our selection. I am not completely sold on us drafting Craig Davis. I also feel that we could land a really good linebacker in the 3rd Rd.
After Greg Olsen, Tight Ends really lose value and I feel the only good one after Olsen is Patrick. Also, Patrick fits our scheme really well and can come in and immediately be the #2 TE on the roster. Plus, with his stock soaring right now I don't think picking him in the second round would be that big of a reach.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Tight Ends? Tight Ends?! Don't talk about.... Tight Ends?! I just hope we can have a defense!

Seriously though, between Eric Johnson, Mark Campbell, and Billy Miller we are solid enough at tight end. While adding a young talented player would be nice, it just isn't that big of a need, especially not second round. I've been openly against taking a WR in the second, but I would much, much rather go WR than TE if both are realistic options when we pick. Come on, guys... is a tight end really going to improve the team we had last season?

Anyway, this is a really, really, REALLY tough decision for me between LB David Harris and DT Quinn Pitcock. Both guys are the epitome of what we need to add on defense. Both are very hard workers, have top-notch intangibles, non-stop motors, and they are LEADERS. While neither is flashy, they play with heart and smarts, give 110% every game, and simply get the job done.

With that said, Pitcock would be a better value pick for us, so I think we should take him if he's on the board. While I am not one of them, I know a lot of people would consider David Harris a bit of a reach. I would be simply ecstatic if we could land either.

TigerBait45
03-24-2007, 08:12 PM
It looks good, but I don't like taking Buster Davis in the 2nd considering the other pressing needs of the team.

If Quinn Pitcock or Justin Harrell (unlikely, I know) are around, I'd imagine one of them would be the pick. If they're not, I wouldn't mind taking a linebacker in the 2nd (maybe H.B. Blades?) and going after a DT in the third (that big guy out of Oklahoma State? McBean, I think. Maybe thats a little early for him, but I love his measureables.)

Saints67
03-25-2007, 12:55 AM
here is my mock, with reasons of choice...

1- Chris Houston (CB, Arkansas): somehow he lasted to us at #27 and we take him. he would fill the 'need' that we have yet to address in FA. he is FAST, strong, and has charatcter. he starts out as a nickle for the 1st part of the season and then he works his way to starting in the middle to late part of the season. our future 'shutdown CB'.

2- Craig 'Buster' Davis (WR, LSU): since the loss of Horn, a WR is needed. Craig can catch, has speed, PR ability, and is SMART. Payton was at LSU's pro-day looking at Bowe and Davis...he would come in and possibly be our #2 to Colston or #3 to Devery. I would like Anthony Gonazlez (Ohio St) at this slot as well but he won't be around.

3- Ryan Harris (OL, Notre Dame): now why would we need a OL? well Payton believes a 'good draft' always includes a OL. Like a a Payton player, Ryan is smart, has lots of expeirence, and well played for Weiss who Parcells knows = maybe gives Payton a tip. he could provide us depth at LT, and at G...in which we need.

4a- Antonio Johnson (NT, Missi St): well we need DT depth and most importantly a NT after Hollis. the saints are looking a for NT, not a 3-tech etc. Antonio fits the bill for that! he has great size at 6'3 and 306 pounds. impressed at the senior bowl with his hustle and ability to beat out a few OL. he is a BIG sleeper. he would be our future starting NT after Hollis retires.

4b- Jay Moore (DE, Nebraska): now, with Grant's future in limbo we need depth at the DE spot. behind Grant and Smith, we don't have much.Ninkovich, has potential but he is coming from a torn acl. Whitehead, is 36 and is on the down-side of his career. Cooper is a project and improving. Jay, would add the depth were lacking. he had a OUTSTANDING senior bowl, is smart, blue collar type, and has size/run. sounds like a Payton player to me!

4c- Prescott Burgess (LB, Mich): well we need depth at the LB'er position. believe it or not, were set at LB'er with Fujita, Simmons and Shanle. Prescott is a smart, hard-working player, who can run and can play all 3 LB positions. Payton LOVES versatility. he can help us out on ST and be a top backup at all 3 spots.

5- Kevin Boss (TE, Western Oregon): are we really set at TE? Eric Johnson is a bona-fide starting TE but is injury prone. now we have Campbell but he is a blocker, Miller who is really only a backup and Owens who is a ST guy. this may-be a little too high to take Boss but he is a BIG TIME sleeper. has good size, can catch and will add depth to the TE corps to make it a strength to us. i love his potential.

6- Isaiah Stanback (QB/WR, Washington): QB isn't a sure spot AFTER Brees. Martin, is 36 and counting + in last year of his contract. Fife, is a project. Stanback, who is raw himself but has potential. Payton could work with him. he can also be our 'slash' and maybe get in at WR which can provide us depth. another player who is versatlie which Payton LOVES. interesting player.

7- Daren Stone (S, Maine): Small school guy, who is a sleeper and could provide us depth at SS, in which we don't have right now. Bellamy is a UFA, and Reis is a camp-body. Stone, has GREAT size at 6'3 and is very physical. he can come in and even help us at ST, but is a project as well.

BiggerFoot
03-25-2007, 01:39 AM
I ran across a CB that put up some astounding numbers on his pro-day
Courtney Brown CB Cal Poly
He ran a 4.34 40 and is 6,1 3/8 he had seven picks in his junior season and the last two years has totaled 95 tackles.
He would be an interesting late round pick in with either the 5th or 6th round pick or maybe even a 4th rounder.
I think a WR in the 2nd round would be a good idea as long as we got value with the pick, my view on draft picks is that if you have even the slightest of need at the position you take the best value and WR is a small need.

Saints Dome Patrol
03-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks to Auron, we have a better picture of Chris Houston to use for our posts.

Looking at this picture, that Mississippi State guy's face says it all...
"Oh [expletive deleted]!"

Sveen
03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
There are a lot of different ways we can go with this pick. Picking a CB (which is out biggest need) in the 1st round is a great start to upgrading our defense. I was really tempted to vote for Mason Crosby (K) with this pick because John Carney is old and he would immediately give us a great special teams weapon for many years to come. However; we also have needs at DT, WR and LB. If we want to get a #2 WR in the Draft this very well might be our last chance (all though we did find our #1 in the 7th round last year). I didn't vote for a WR simply because it seems likely that we pick up one in Free Agency (Keenan McCardell?) and we also have a great RB that can catch coming out of the back-field, so that leaves DT and LB. We did improve out LB core in Free Agency so I ended up going for a DT in Justin Harrell out of Tennessee because he would give great value late in the 2nd round (if he is available).

msmudcat
03-26-2007, 04:06 PM
i think with the high wash out rate on WR it would be wise to get some depth on both sides of the ball on the front lines in the 2nd and 3rd round me myself i like the looks of david ball all he lacks from being a elite player is the blazing speed and he can be got in the 4rth or 5th round. Not sure many will agree with me but i feel as if we will get are best players in the later rounds i really think we might get 3 starters with the last 6 picks in this yrs draft

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm sure a few of you guys won't be in love with my mock, but this is exactly the type of draft I would like for us to have. So, without further ado, here is my Saints mock draft:

1.27 - Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
I'm a firm believer that we have to take one of the top five corners here if any are available. Ross happens to be my favorite, so basically this pick is wishful thinking, although I think there is a pretty decent chance of Ross in black and gold next season.

2.58 - David Harris, ILB, Michigan
This may be a bit of a reach, but no more than Roman Harper was last year. I am very high on Harris. He's a hard worker with outstanding intangibles, had very productive junior and senior years in college, and he is the leader that every team wants at MLB. Athletically he won't wow you, but he's a "football player" who just gets the job done, and I see a good bit of DeMeco Ryans-like potential in him. Ideally, Simoneau would become the primary backup at both OLB positions, and Harris would be the backup to Simmons for a year or two (depending on how Simmons performs) before taking over at MLB.

3.89 - Josh Gattis, S, Wake Forest
Even after bringing in Kaesviharn, we need some depth at safety. I expect Kaesviharn and Bullocks to battle for the starting FS spot, with the loser becoming backup. At SS, Harper should be the starter, but he still has questions surrounding the injury. Scott and Stoutmire are gone, and I don't expect Bellamy to be brought back either, leaving Steve Gleason (who should be used exclusively on special teams) as the 4th and final safety on our roster. Gattis was highly productive in college and has a good deal of NFL potential. In Scott's words, he "should at the very least be a backup and an excellent special teamer."

4.119 - Chansi Stuckey, WR, Clemson
Stuckey is a guy who I think will fall this far due to his running a 4.65 at the combine, which would be a blessing in disguise if we could get him here. Stuckey plays A LOT faster than his 40 time would indicate. He has good hands and can make plays after the catch. He's not the most polished player and needs time to develop, but if he reaches his potential he could be a Steve Smith-type player.

4.121 - Baraka Atkins, DE, Miami
We could use some depth at DE behind Will Smith and Charles Grant, and quite possibly a future replacement for Grant. Atkins is a player who has been very underrated during the whole process leading up to the draft, IMO. He's versatile, having experience at both DE and DT (although I think it's a given that he'll be used at DE). He isn't "great" at rushing the passer or stopping the run, but he's "good" at both. Ran a sub-4.7 40 at 270+ lbs. Nice potential.

4.122 - Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State
He's not very experienced and did not produce that much, but Johnson has all the tools to become a monster at DT. The risk here, using our third 4th round pick, is not a very big one, and the possible payoff could be huge. A developmental player who is probably the "boom or bust" type, but definitely worth taking a chance on here.

5.153 - Michael Allan, TE, Whitworth
The biggest knock on Allan (and boy, is it big) is that he only played DIII ball. The level of talent surrounding him was obviously not what it would have been had he played DI or even DII. However, just reading Scott's report on Allan reminds me very much of another TE that used to be Brees' main target: "Leaper with good ball skills... seems to know how to get open and how to use his body... exceptional hands... runs well after the catch... also played basketball." His workout numbers were also outstanding. I think our group of TE's is solid enough to take a chance on this guy, and let's see what he can do against some real competition.

6.184 - Chris Leak, QB, Florida
Leak will probably never be a starter in the NFL, but he's a guy who could develop into a solid backup. He proved this past year that he's a leader and he knows how to win. He needs to work on certain aspects of his game a good bit, but with his evident passion for playing football, I think he's a guy who will be 100% committed to getting better. Jamie Martin is getting older and Leak is a guy who could eventually become the backup to Drew.

7.201 - Onrea Jones, WR, Hampton
Could he be the next Marques Colston? Extremely doubtful, but he could be a guy who could surprise some people and make a roster. He has a lot of upside as a WR, and is also a good special teams player. At the very least he could make our practice squad and work his way up. His athleticism and special teams potential makes him worth taking a shot on.

Who Dat Nation
03-27-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm sure a few of you guys won't be in love with my mock, but this is exactly the type of draft I would like for us to have. So, without further ado, here is my Saints mock draft:

I'm a firm believer that we have to take one of the top five corners here if any are available. Ross happens to be my favorite, so basically this pick is wishful thinking, although I think there is a pretty decent chance of Ross in black and gold next season.

2.58 - David Harris, ILB, Michigan
This may be a bit of a reach, but no more than Roman Harper was last year. I am very high on Harris. He's a hard worker with outstanding intangibles, had very productive junior and senior years in college, and he is the leader that every team wants at MLB. Athletically he won't wow you, but he's a "football player" who just gets the job done, and I see a good bit of DeMeco Ryans-like potential in him. Ideally, Simoneau would become the primary backup at both OLB positions, and Harris would be the backup to Simmons for a year or two (depending on how Simmons performs) before taking over at MLB.

I love these picks, i'm not so sure Harris is that much of a reach. I've got a feeling he might be off the board before we pick in round 2.

Good job with your mock!

Saints Dome Patrol
03-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Well, since I didn't actually get on and vote before the poll closed this morning, I will cast the deciding vote now...

With the fifty-eighth selection of the 2007 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select:

http://menofthescarletandgray.com/wp-content/uploads/pitcock.jpg
Quinn Pitcock, defensive tackle, from the Ohio State University

Now, should we continue on to the third round... or do you think that it would be too hard to predict? It's all up to you guys... :)

Auron
03-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Now, should we continue on to the third round... or do you think that it would be too hard to predict? It's all up to you guys... :)
I say go for it, might as well finish up the first day. Put in a few late Day 1, early Day 2 prospects and we could always post some additional guys.

Sveen
03-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Sure. Why not give it a try :)

Auron
03-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Made a new mock. This is just one scenario where we trade Grant to Tampa for 2 Second round picks. So we get some compensation before he walks away for nothing.

Auron's Saints Draft 1.3 (http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/Memo229/NoAuMock1-1.jpg?t=1175400294)

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Made a new mock. This is just one scenario where we trade Grant to Tampa for 2 Second round picks. So we get some compensation before he walks away for nothing.

Auron's Saints Draft 1.3 (http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/Memo229/NoAuMock1-1.jpg?t=1175400294)

I seriously, seriously doubt we could get both of Tampa's second round picks. The value of those picks combined would be slightly greater than the 21st pick in the draft, which is just unrealistic to expect for Grant. I'd say at the very best we could get one of Tampa's second rounders this year and a conditional 2nd/3rd next year. However, we could be incredibly stupid to trade an already angry Grant to one of our divisional rivals. If we're going to trade him anywhere, Tampa is not going to be the place. It doesn't seem to me like you completely thought this out.

Auron
04-01-2007, 12:19 AM
I seriously, seriously doubt we could get both of Tampa's second round picks. The value of those picks combined would be slightly greater than the 21st pick in the draft, which is just unrealistic to expect for Grant. I'd say at the very best we could get one of Tampa's second rounders this year and a conditional 2nd/3rd next year. However, we could be incredibly stupid to trade an already angry Grant to one of our divisional rivals. If we're going to trade him anywhere, Tampa is not going to be the place. It doesn't seem to me like you completely thought this out.

Situation won't play out, but it is more likely that Tampa give up 2 seconds, than 2 firsts which would be franchise player compensation.

So far they seem to have been the only team to show any serious interest. We'll see closer to Draft day if Grant is moved I don't think it's likely but anything can happen on Draft day. This was only one scenario.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Situation won't play out, but it is more likely that Tampa give up 2 seconds, than 2 firsts which would be franchise player compensation.

So far they seem to have been the only team to show any serious interest. We'll see closer to Draft day if Grant is moved I don't think it's likely but anything can happen on Draft day. This was only one scenario.

Nobody is ever going to give up two firsts for Grant, so really, pretty much anything is more likely. Getting mid-first round value for Grant is unrealistic. The only team in the league who would be stupid enough to give up that much would probably be the Redskins, who actually need a DE, but don't have the picks to offer even if they would be interested.

I'd say a second, or even a swap of second rounders with a team picking earlier than us this year, with a conditional pick next year, is the absolute best we could hope for. Just because the franchise compensation is two first rounders doesn't mean the player is worth anything remotely close to that.

And like I said, trading one of our angry players to a divisional rival would be one of the dumbest things we could do. I'd rather take my chances on him walking next year and possibly signing somewhere out of the division.

Auron
04-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Nobody is ever going to give up two firsts for Grant, so really, pretty much anything is more likely. Getting mid-first round value for Grant is unrealistic. The only team in the league who would be stupid enough to give up that much would probably be the Redskins, who actually need a DE, but don't have the picks to offer even if they would be interested.

I'd say a second, or even a swap of second rounders with a team picking earlier than us this year, with a conditional pick next year, is the absolute best we could hope for. Just because the franchise compensation is two first rounders doesn't mean the player is worth anything remotely close to that.

And like I said, trading one of our angry players to a divisional rival would be one of the dumbest things we could do. I'd rather take my chances on him walking next year and possibly signing somewhere out of the division.
I agree that it is ridiculous to think any team would give up 2 firsts for Grant, I can't remember the last time a franchise player was traded for that. It's hard to say how teams value players. Although I must admit the overly optimistic scenario comes from other Saints fans complaining I'm not getting enough compensation for Grant.

Which is pretty much why I dislike doing trades in mocks, it's too hard to figure out the proper values...

I do see the point about him going to a Division rival. We are going to go through a situation like that with Horn this year in Atlanta.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Auron, even if the whole Charles Grant for two second rounders doesn't pan out, I do like the majority of your picks, especially Craig "Buster" Davis and John Beck.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan, as Auron pointed out, it is not out of the ordinary for teams to trade to other teams within their own division. That being said, I agree with you, I would prefer it if the Saints did not trade Grant to a division rival.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I will... cross your fingers! :)

Saints Dome Patrol
04-01-2007, 01:21 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/images/04/28/tx_kiper.jpg
After drafting a premier corner in round one with Chris Houston from Arkansas and a disruptive force in the middle with Ohio State defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock, the Saints are on the clock again, and there are still several great prospects that I'm surprised have fallen this far. I really expect the Saints to go defense here again, but there are some offensive players that could go here at eighty-eight.

You heard Count Chocula, who do the Saints get with their third-round selection?

The nominees:

ILB H.B. Blades, Pittsburgh

WR Steve Smith, Southern Cal

ILB Zak DeOssie, Brown

TE Scott Chandler, Iowa

OL Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

DE Dan Bauzin, Central Michigan

TE Matt Spaeth, Minnesota

QB Troy Smith, Ohio State

someone else? (say who and why)

or trade the selection away?

Auron
04-01-2007, 01:38 PM
With CB, and DT already addressed I think we'd look at some LB, or WR talents available.

for me it comes down to Smith, or DeOssie both are guys I'm really high on and think would be good fits.

I'll go with Smith because I think he would be BPA if he fell to that spot.

Sveen
04-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm going with Zak DeOssie here with Steve Smith as a very good number two.

Who Dat Nation
04-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I voted Steve Smith.

TigerBait45
04-01-2007, 08:24 PM
I say H.B. Blades. I don't know too much about DeOssie, but Blades kinda reminds me of Sam Mills.

Flyboy
04-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I went with H.B. Blades, but I'll be damned if Steve Smith wasn't tempting.

princefielder28
04-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Blades would have to be the pick

Green Bay Scat
04-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I went blades 2, i think you could get Troy Smith with the last 4th you have.

Saints Dome Patrol
04-08-2007, 09:04 PM
As chosen by you, the fans...

With the eighty-eighth selection of the 2007 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select:

http://www.seniorbowl.com/2007/graphics/photos/07.pitt.blades.jpg

H.B. Blades, inside linebacker, from the University of Pittsburgh

diabsoule
04-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Here's a mock that I didn't spend too much time on but came up with in a few minutes: Feel free to tear it apart.

2.58 - Steve Smith, WR, USC
3.89 - Kareem Brown, DT, Miami
4.119 - Zak DeOssie, ILB, Brown
4.121 - Trent Edwards, QB, Stanford
4.122 - Stephen Nicholas, OLB, South Florida
5.153 - Tim Duckworth, OG, Auburn
7.201 - C.J. Wilson, CB, Baylor

Sveen
04-10-2007, 12:47 PM
How about the 4th round? ;)

VYTitans
04-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Uhm why did ya'll pick Quinn Pitcock? I don't mean to sound ******** but I think that he has one of the highest bust potentials. I'm just looking for some sort of explaination.

BiggerFoot
04-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I too like the idea of trading Grant before we get nothing for him next season and having him a disgruntled player although I am not sure what exactly we could get for him.
I am just fishing with this idea but Grant for Miami's 2nd round pick this year and 2nd next year
Justin Harrell (although try and trade down a few spots and pick him up)
Sidney Rice, big time potential and a steal in the second round can will be a stud
2.58 Marcus McCauley, had a bad senior season but has the physical tools and is a solid tackler and can play against the run
3.89 Quentin Moses trade up and grab him in the early 3rd if he continues his slide
4.119 Kenny Scott, CB another big CB that has tons of potential and is physical
4.121 Quincy Black OLB, a quick LB that would help pressure the QB and is good in coverage
4.122 used to trade up
5.153Walter Thomas, a massive DT around 6,5 370 that can also be a run stuffer with Harrell
6.184 trade up
7.201 project player

diabsoule
04-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I am going to use this page to keep all of you Saints fans aware of what I am doing in the current forum mock. You guys can critique, complain, celebrate, or whatever.

Pre-Draft Moves
New Orleans Receives:
CB Randall G-ay

New England Receives:
New Orleans 5th Round Pick (#163)
------------------------------

New Orleans Receives:
New York Jets 3rd Rounder (#89)

New York Jets Receives:
RT Jon Stinchcomb
-----------------------------

New Orleans Receives:
New York Jets 2nd Rounder (#63)

New York Jets Receives:
WR Terrance Copper
New Orleans Saints 4th Rounder (#123)
---------------------------------------

Draft Picks
1.27 - Paul Posluszny, Linebacker, Penn St.
2.58 - Steve Smith, Wide Receiver, University of Southern California
2.63 - Jonathan Wade, Cornerback, University of Tennessee
3.88 - Tarell Brown, Cornerback, University of Texas
3.89 - Brandon Mebane, Defensive Tackle, University of California
4.125 - Stephen Nicholas, Linebacker, University of South Florida
4.126 - John Beck, Quarterback, Brigham Young University
7.220 - Jeremy Clark, Defensive Tackle, University of Alabama

That is the draft.

I will be doing UDFA's and I have my eye on one. I'm looking to try and land Oklahoma WR Paul Thompson.

Auron
04-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Going to check how the board fell out, but at a first glance I'd say you did a pretty good job.

Posluszny, Smith, Wade looks like a very solid first day addressing need spots and also getting good value for the picks.

the pre-draft moves freed up some flexibility. (in reality I don't think the Saints would trade Stinch, and Copper at this point in time because they recently re-signed them to fresh contracts) but for the sake of the forum mock ok.

For Arizona's proposal it depends how well you believe the CB situation is set.. keeping in mind the additions of Randall G-y, and Wade. I would pass because Green is only a marginal starter. (also it would depend how the Jason David situation plays out but you won't have that kind of time)

Auron
04-21-2007, 06:57 PM
I actually like those mocks, both seem to get some good value and address weak points.

I'm going to make my final Saints mocks this week, anyone else planning on getting a few last minute mocks in this week?

diabsoule
04-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Our selections have been updated.

WeatherMike
04-25-2007, 01:18 AM
I've participated in a lot of GM mock drafts, and below is my latest effort for the Saints. If you have a question (as in OMG how could you pass on X), my answer is that player probably has an issue like intelligence, character, work ethic, consistency, or doesn't fit attributes the Saints have specified (press corners, offensive linemen who can run and will work in the weight room, etc.). With the undrafted players I did go with the best, but at specific positions to fill out a full roster for a training camp.

Trade: 27 for 35, 102, and CB Brian Kelly
35) OG Ben Grubbs, Auburn
58) CB Josh Wilson, Maryland
88) WR Lee Higgins, Texas El-Paso
102) LB Stephen Nicholas, Southern Florida
123) DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
125) TE Joe Newton, Oregon State
126) WR Chansi Stuckey, Clemson
163) LB Jon Abbate, Wake Forest
220) OG Herbert Taylor, Texas Christian

QB Justin Rascati, James Madison
RB Jon Cornish, Kansas
WR Jordan Kent, Oregon
OG Cameron Stephenson, Rutgers
DE Greg Peterson, North Carolina Central
LB Zach Diles, Kansas State
LB Danny Wheeler, Georgia
CB John Talley, Duke
FS Rashad Barksdale, Albany
K Jesse Ainsworth, Arizona State

Saints Dome Patrol
04-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Our selections have been updated.

I'm super high on the John Beck selection as I am also with both Posluszny and Smith.

Great job so far! :)

Saints Dome Patrol
04-26-2007, 02:40 AM
I actually like those mocks, both seem to get some good value and address weak points.

I'm going to make my final Saints mocks this week, anyone else planning on getting a few last minute mocks in this week?

I'm attempting to put together a first round mock with trades... but as it is, this has (and excuse my French) been the week from hell for me. :(

I'm really looking forward to the Draft to take my mind off of all the [expletive deleted] that's been going on. Hopefully, I can finish everything by at least this afternoon to post it for comments. ;)

diabsoule
04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Mock is updated.

diabsoule
04-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm attempting to put together a first round mock with trades... but as it is, this has (and excuse my French) been the week from hell for me. :(

I'm really looking forward to the Draft to take my mind off of all the [expletive deleted] that's been going on. Hopefully, I can finish everything by at least this afternoon to post it for comments. ;)

Which part of those paragraphs did you use French?

GeauxSaints
04-26-2007, 03:58 PM
heres how i think/hope it will fall

1.27 - Chris Houston CB, Ark
2.58 - Dwayne Bowe WR, LSU
3.89 - Brandon Siler ILB, UF
4.119 - Kareem Brown DT, Miami

Auron
04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Trade: 27 for 35, 102, and CB Brian Kelly
35) OG Ben Grubbs, Auburn
58) CB Josh Wilson, Maryland
88) WR Lee Higgins, Texas El-Paso
102) LB Stephen Nicholas, Southern Florida
123) DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
125) TE Joe Newton, Oregon State
126) WR Chansi Stuckey, Clemson
163) LB Jon Abbate, Wake Forest
220) OG Herbert Taylor, Texas Christian

QB Justin Rascati, James Madison
RB Jon Cornish, Kansas
WR Jordan Kent, Oregon
OG Cameron Stephenson, Rutgers
DE Greg Peterson, North Carolina Central
LB Zach Diles, Kansas State
LB Danny Wheeler, Georgia
CB John Talley, Duke
FS Rashad Barksdale, Albany
K Jesse Ainsworth, Arizona State

Solid all around mock. Grubbs is not a flashy pick but he fits the scheme, and probably could step in on the interior and compete for a starting role from day 1. Josh Wilson looks like a good pick, however he is on the smaller side and his physical build is similar to Jason David who we just signed from the Colts. Johnnie Lee Higgins, very underrated guy who seems buried in a deep WR class, a bit on the slight side but he has potential... he has kick return value as well. Also nice touch with the Undrafted pick ups.

heres how i think/hope it will fall

1.27 - Chris Houston CB, Ark
2.58 - Dwayne Bowe WR, LSU
3.89 - Brandon Siler ILB, UF
4.119 - Kareem Brown DT, Miami
Really optimistic with Bowe falling to round 2, just can't see that happening but if it did that would be quite the catch. :)

I'm going to try and think up some scenarios tonight, the Saints have a ton of flexibility now with their recent moves.

GeauxSaints
04-26-2007, 04:26 PM
i agree bowe might be a reach.

i do think that either bowe, jarrett, smith, or rice are going to fall. i doubt it will be jarrett or smith just because they are usc boys. bowe may fly under the radar just long enough. rice will almost certainly be there.

there is going to be a lot of defensive players taken the the first, and i think it will leave some very good offensive talent on the board for the second.

TigerBait45
04-26-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't think theres any way Bowe makes it to the 2nd, much less the bottom of the second. =P

Stoopid512
04-27-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm super high

You're such a bad influence on us...

Auron
04-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Just threw together some last minute Draft scenarios. Didn't exactly have as much time as I wanted to think them thoroughly through but I'll get them up anyway.

There are a ton of different directions the Saints can go in during the Draft, especially with the flexibility they have not having to reach for need. How it falls will depend largely on how the board shakes out, and what talents could possibly fall. In all of these scenarios I'm assuming most of the top tier talent is off the board.

Personally I still feel something is missing, but whatever. Which one would be the most appealing?

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/383/finalnomock1lc4.png
- In this one I took Beason. Very instinctive LB who reads plays well, and plays sideline to sideline. He can play all 3 LB positions. He would immediately provide depth at LB, and be the longterm future at the position. Took Smith in rd.2 I think he's the crisp route runner, with reliable hands we need to be a complimentary number 2 receiver. ...

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8503/finalnomock2qf2.png
- Harrell adds youth, and athleticism to the DT position one of the more shakier positions on the team as of now. I took the gamble on McCauley, but at round 2 I thought it was worth the price especially with his physical skillset, and longterm potential he could develop behind David ...

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7807/finalnomock3of8.png
- Went with some of the current speculation, supposedly the Saints are very interested in Harris who many believe is the second best Inside LB in this class, and now is worth a late round 1 value. Hill, very productive WR with a solid skillset can be a good compliment. Mebane rounds out the first day adding to the DT spot ...

GeauxSaints
04-27-2007, 11:46 PM
i like 2 the best

Saints Dome Patrol
05-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Just a random question... did anyone actually get their mock drafts right? With the Saints moving out of the second, I know most people got that wrong but did anyone get the first and third round selections right at least. I know I didn't... :rolleyes:

Auron
05-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Just a random question... did anyone actually get their mock drafts right? With the Saints moving out of the second, I know most people got that wrong but did anyone get the first and third round selections right at least. I know I didn't... :rolleyes:

Nope. The closest pick I got was a hopeful scenario of Alleman in the 4th.

Flyboy
05-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Not close at all. Then again, I wasn't close on the draft last year either besides us selecting Bush.

diabsoule
05-21-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm going to post my draft and leave in all of our trades that we made:

1. Paul Posluzny, LB, Penn State - Puz would have been the guy who could have come in and either contributed immediately or learned behind Brian Simmons for a year before being put in the line-up. It's hard to not be intrigued by a guy who is endorsed by legendary linebacker Jack Ham.
3. Usama Young, CB, Kent St. - Good value where we got him.
3. Andy Alleman, G, Akron - Another good value and play I like.
4. Stephen Nicholas, LB, South Florida - While we moved up to take Antonio Pittman with our pick right here, Nicholas would have been the better player in my eyes. A guy who has a tremendous motor and very good instincts, he could have come in in pass rushing situations and made his way on special teams. Could have taken over if either Fujita or Shanle show signs of wear and tear or do not live up to their performance last year.
4. Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson - A pick I'm happy with.
5. David Jones, CB, Wingate - I'm happy with this pick as well.
7. Dallas Baker, WR, Florida - A big target who can run the routes and get open and would have made a tremendous red zone threat. Our wide receivers were productive enough last year that Baker could have learned from them, and we brought in Rhema McKnight as a UDFA and he's done well so far. We would have been fine as far as our WR go.

This would have been my ideal draft.

Saints Dome Patrol
05-21-2007, 02:29 AM
Nope. The closest pick I got was a hopeful scenario of Alleman in the 4th.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't remember exactly who I had the Saints taking in the later rounds, but I did have us getting Alleman in the fourth. I guess great minds think alike... ;)

I think I had New Orleans getting Chris Houston, Quinn Pitcock and then H.B. Blades to round out the first day... so yeah, I was off by a tad... :rolleyes:

I'm going to post my draft and leave in all of our trades that we made:

1. Paul Posluzny, LB, Penn State - Puz would have been the guy who could have come in and either contributed immediately or learned behind Brian Simmons for a year before being put in the line-up. It's hard to not be intrigued by a guy who is endorsed by legendary linebacker Jack Ham.
3. Usama Young, CB, Kent St. - Good value where we got him.
3. Andy Alleman, G, Akron - Another good value and play I like.
4. Stephen Nicholas, LB, South Florida - While we moved up to take Antonio Pittman with our pick right here, Nicholas would have been the better player in my eyes. A guy who has a tremendous motor and very good instincts, he could have come in in pass rushing situations and made his way on special teams. Could have taken over if either Fujita or Shanle show signs of wear and tear or do not live up to their performance last year.
4. Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson - A pick I'm happy with.
5. David Jones, CB, Wingate - I'm happy with this pick as well.
7. Dallas Baker, WR, Florida - A big target who can run the routes and get open and would have made a tremendous red zone threat. Our wide receivers were productive enough last year that Baker could have learned from them, and we brought in Rhema McKnight as a UDFA and he's done well so far. We would have been fine as far as our WR go.

This would have been my ideal draft.

As it was, initally as we all know, I wasn't fond of the selections of Meachem (who as it is, my mom keeps calling Robert Mitchum... bonus points for anyone who gets why...:D) or Usama Young for that matter.

However, as the hours became days and the days became weeks, looking back I'm not as unhappy as I was in April.

Meachem, although a little out of shape (which I'm not pleased with, but...), not only adds another weapon to our high-powered offensive machine, but a solid replacement for Joe Horn. Number 17 might be a solid player for years to come, and as much as it pains me to say it, we couldn't say the same thing for Horn. Usama Young seems to have made a good impression at Saints rookie camp (along with Alleman, Bushrod, and Jones...) and looks to be the heir apparent to Fred Thomas' position. And as every Saints fan knows, the less we see of Thomas on the field, the better...!

The one pick that really had me shaking my head was the seventh round selection of Marvin Mitchell or whatever his name is. The fact is, we could have gotten better talent at linebacker earlier in the Draft and that he has character issues to boot doesn't really bode well with me. But, of course, I'm sure that Loomis and Payton know more than I do about this guy, and if he can keep his nose clean, maybe he can be a solid special teamer.

All in all, I can't really grade the Draft, since I usually give it a couple of years to see who actually makes the team, who plays and how well they play, but sight unseen, I give the Draft a passing grade. I don't know how high, but good enough to pass the Draft course at NFL University... we'll see if I feel the same way in two years.

diabsoule
11-21-2007, 05:48 PM
After some careful consideration this is what I would like our FA to look like:

Sign
CB Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland Raiders
K Josh Brown, Seattle Seahawks
OT Sean Locklear, Seattle Seahawks (take over for Stinchcomb)
DT Randy Starks, Tennessee Titans

Draft
1st Round - OLB Dan Conner, Penn State
2nd Round - ILB Jonathan Goff, Vanderbilt
3rd Round - DT DeMario Pressley, NC State
4th Round - LB/S Wesley Woodyard, Kentucky
5th Round - RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss

I'm not going past the fifth round just yet.

Sveen
11-22-2007, 08:56 AM
CB Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland Raiders
K Josh Brown, Seattle Seahawks
OT Sean Locklear, Seattle Seahawks (take over for Stinchcomb)
DT Randy Starks, Tennessee Titans

I like that. I can't see Asomugha being able to leave Oakland :(
But if he came to the Saints... :D

Hines
12-26-2007, 01:57 PM
I am not sure on your needs, but here is my best shot.

1. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
2. Beau Bell LB UNLV
3. John Carlson TE Notre Dame
4. Will Arnold G LSU
5. Bruce Davis DE UCLA
6. Paul Smith QB Tulsa
7. Carton Powell DT Virgina Tech

Hope this satisfies your needs. Give me feed back.

diabsoule
12-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I like it but I have some feedback.

1) We have an official mock draft thread. Please put future mock drafts in that thread.

I like the first pick only if we don't go after CB in FA. If we don't then we need CB first round but I have a feeling we will. Our coaching staff can't be that ignorant to the fact that Jason David has not worked out.
We need an impact LB and I'm not sold on Beau Bell. I love Jonathan Goff and would love to see him in the Black and Gold.
Carlson is a great TE but that is the least of our worries as far as I'm concerned. I would rather go RT, RB, CB, or DT early.
Love the Will Arnold pick.

If you have any more questions about future mocks then ask in the Official Discussion Thread or send a Saints fan an IM or PM.

SaintsFanForLife
01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
anyone on D

RAZERSAINTS
03-09-2008, 10:09 PM
It looks like we will take a CB.. I dont like the move but as long as its a player on Defence that can start for us im happy.

SaintsFanForLife
03-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I agree we need to spend the #10 pick on someone that can start for us right away.

diabsoule
04-10-2008, 05:59 PM
In the final forum mock which is about over this is what I and SFFL have done for the Saints.

*Some things could have been done differently and I will post what could have been done if you guys are interested.

Trades

Trade #1
Saints Receive:
CB Brian Williams
#147 Overall
#159 Overall

Jaguars Receive:
CB Jason David
DB Roman Harper

Trade #2
Jets Receive:
#78 Overall

Saints Receive:
#102 Overall
DT Dewayne Robertson

Trade #3
Eagles Receive:
#178 Overall

Saints Receive:
TE Matt Schobel

Trade #4
Saints Receive:
2nd Round Pick - #47
DE Ray Edwards

Vikings Receive:
DE Will Smith

Trade #5
49ers Receive:
OL Jon Stinchcomb
7th round pick

Saints Receive:
CB Shawntae Spencer
7th Round Pick

Trade #6
Bucs Receive:
#47 Overall

Saints Receive:
#52 Overall
#120 Overall

Draft

10. Kenny Phillips DB/Miami
40. Carl Nicks OL/Nebraska
52. Tavares Gooden LB/Miami
102. Brad Cottam TE/Tennessee
113. Josh Johnson QB/San Diego
120. Mike Pollak C/Arizona State
146. Justin Forsett RB/California
147. Terrence Wheatley CB/Colorado
159. Titus Brown DE/Mississippi State
214. Frank Morton DT/Tulane

vcstriker16
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Browsing around and found one of the best mocks I've seen so far:

<link removed>

DRC makes the most sense.

Sveen
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
In his newest mock Scott has us taking Leodis McKelvin, Dan Connor and Jeremy Zuttah. Wouldn't be a bad Draft :) (But I'm still hoping for one of the top 2 DT's)

diabsoule
04-18-2008, 10:46 PM
In his newest mock Scott has us taking Leodis McKelvin, Dan Connor and Jeremy Zuttah. Wouldn't be a bad Draft :) (But I'm still hoping for one of the top 2 DT's)

I was actually thrilled with the first two rounds but underwhelmed to say the least with our 3rd round pick in Scott's latest. McKelvin and Conner, though? I'd wet my panties.

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 08:51 AM
1) anthony mccoy, tight end usc

a top 20 talent falls to us basically giving us another jeremy shockey. saints failed to score 20 pts. both games shockey was out.

2) Lamarr houston, Defensive tackle Texas

anthony hargrove is too light to man the middle. ellis takes over at nose tackle and houston starts at three technique. houston had as many tackles for loss as brian price and Ndamukong suh and also finished the year with 7.5 sacks from the defensive tackle position.

3) jerome murphy, cornerback USF/ return specialist

gregg williams needs a speed corner to replace randall *** who sucked last year and who could compete with torrance and malcolm jenkins for playing time.

4)Demarcus granger, defensive tackle Oklahoma

granger immediately improves run-defense as he is a force against the run.

6)al woods, defensive tackle LSU

was never dominant in college but has loads of potential as a nose tackle.

7)Pat simonds , wide receiver colgate

simonds is a small school talent with 6'6 height and 220lb size. payton usually likes to take flyers on possession receivers in the 7th round.
adrian arington (2008), marques colston (2006)

***yes, i have us taking three defensive tackles. our run-defense really does suck that bad.

Flyboy
01-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeeeeah, I don't see McCoy being a first rounder and even if he is we have more pressing needs than the TE position.

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 01:33 PM
if shockey goes down again we are screwed and billy miller is 33 coming off an achilles tear.

mccoy is more talented than many DE's, LBs, and DTs left at the bottom of the first round.

i loaded up on DTs later.

lamarr houston
demarcus granger
al woods

wicket
01-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Lets just say that in the ND draft turned out the way you planned it Id destroy my TV and go out on the street and kill random people cuz Id be very upset to say the least.

1) anthony mccoy, tight end usc

a top 20 talent falls to us basically giving us another jeremy shockey. saints failed to score 20 pts. both games shockey was out.

Even with shockey down I wouldnt see TEnd as one of the big draft needs.

2) Lamarr houston, Defensive tackle Texas

anthony hargrove is too light to man the middle. ellis takes over at nose tackle and houston starts at three technique. houston had as many tackles for loss as brian price and Ndamukong suh and also finished the year with 7.5 sacks from the defensive tackle position.

massive reach for a player that also forces ellis to play out of position, would not make me happy at all

3) jerome murphy, cornerback USF/ return specialist

gregg williams needs a speed corner to replace randall *** who sucked last year and who could compete with torrance and malcolm jenkins for playing time.

*** will probably be the dime back at best next season so he doesnt even need replacing, no need to draft another corner this early. Also dont think that murphy would be around at this spot. No need for return guys either imo, bush had a bad year returning punts this time around but is usually a huge threat doing that and kickoffs are fine.

4)Demarcus granger, defensive tackle Oklahoma

granger immediately improves run-defense as he is a force against the run.
The only thing granger brings to the table is extra workload for the medical staff. Guy has way to many injury issues to draft this early, besides you already drafted a DT

6)al woods, defensive tackle LSU

was never dominant in college but has loads of potential as a nose tackle.
third DT in 5 picks

7)Pat simonds , wide receiver colgate

simonds is a small school talent with 6'6 height and 220lb size. payton usually likes to take flyers on possession receivers in the 7th round.
adrian arington (2008), marques colston (2006)
obviously this could theoretically happen but imo it is more likely that this year they take a flyer at a DB or something than a receiver, the depth @ receiver runs all the way through. Even if he would pan out there is just no space for the kid on the roster.

Sorry bro but draftin 3 DT's and overlooking positions of need like DEnd, Center and OLB in favor of a tight end makes me hate your saints mock

My mock would look more like
RD 1 Everson Griffen DE
RD 2 Navarro Bowman OLB
RD 3 Vince Oghobaase DT
RD 4 JD Walton C
RD 6 some db
RD 7 some OL or rb depending on who is lost in free agency and stuff

zachsaints52
01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Thats probably the worst possible mock. No offense.

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Lets just say that in the ND draft turned out the way you planned it Id destroy my TV and go out on the street and kill random people cuz Id be very upset to say the least.

Sorry bro but draftin 3 DT's and overlooking positions of need like DEnd, Center and OLB in favor of a tight end makes me hate your saints mock

My mock would look more like
RD 1 Everson Griffen DE
RD 2 Navarro Bowman OLB
RD 3 Vince Oghobaase DT
RD 4 JD Walton C
RD 6 some db
RD 7 some OL or rb depending on who is lost in free agency and stuff

LOL. i guess i should've include some additional info that plays into my projection.

i think that we release charles grant and kendrick clancyand move anthony hargrove back to end. ellis played NT in college and would be alot like tank johnson who started for the bears in 06'.

in order for all of this to happen we would need to find 3 DTs to give us a bigger and sturdier rotation in the middle.

when you go back and look at how we get gashed in the running game alot of it stems from hargrove being too small, ayodele being too unathletic, and grant being to slow.

i think that this would solve alot of our problems.

as far as OLB, cassilas played well enough against Tampa that you couldn't even tell shanle was missing and arnoux might just be the primary backup to fujita last year. Fujita needed a backup last year but we still didn't spend a second or 3rd rounder on one.

as far as going offense early we have spent:

a #1 on reggie bush
a #1 on robert meachem
a #2 on jeremy shockey

the colts have gone offense in the first round 7 of the past 10 times they have had a pick there but they are the most winningest team of the 2000's.

its possible we go defense but also just as possible that we dont.

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Rob gronkowski Tightend from Arizona has been medically cleared to play and is a first round talent at TE.

he is only 20 years old too.

i would love either he or mccoy.

6'6 265, gronkowsi would've been the #1 overall tightend in the 2011 draft.

zachsaints52
01-15-2010, 09:51 PM
We will not get a TE with the first pick. Please get that through your head.

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
so to be clear here, you think that we should take a second round defender in the first round over a probowl tightend?

why stop there? lets just take a 7th round talent at DT or CB like johnathan sullivan or alex molden in the first round again simply for the sake of picking a defender.

remember how fun that was?

NOLAFan
01-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Just give me Mount Cody or Everson Griffen. I can live with one of those in first round

zachsaints52
01-15-2010, 10:10 PM
so to be clear here, you think that we should take a second round defender in the first round over a probowl tightend?

why stop there? lets just take a 7th round talent at DT or CB like johnathan sullivan or alex molden in the first round again simply for the sake of picking a defender.

remember how fun that was?

If you look we will still get a first round defensive prospect with our pick. a pro bowl TE? when, 4 years from now when shockeys done? we arent trying to draft backups right now, we are one or two players away from staying in contention for the next couple of years. You need to learn more about the draft and stop reading what you are reading. Brian Price is second round? Weatherspoon? Get real. And all of your picks are pretty much reaches.

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 10:10 PM
i bet many saints fans scoffing at the idea now, never predicted shockey in 08' or meach in 07.'

everyone here who did come forward.

zachsaints52
01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Shockey was a trade and was heavily talked about for a month or more. And Meachem was considered a steal at our pick... Is your precious TE a steal? Nope, more like a grab... huge grab.

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 10:15 PM
If you look we will still get a first round defensive prospect with our pick. a pro bowl TE? when, 4 years from now when shockeys done? we arent trying to draft backups right now, we are one or two players away from staying in contention for the next couple of years. You need to learn more about the draft and stop reading what you are reading. Brian Price is second round? Weatherspoon? Get real. And all of your picks are pretty much reaches.

brian price?? hahha

no, brian brice is top 15. we'll never even sniff him. corey wooten, greg hardy or hughes either and dunlap we aren't going to touch because of characther issues.

there isn't a linebacker out there who is going to come in and take snaps from fujita at strongside either but we damn sure can replace darnell dinkins and bolster our 2-TE set to help our running game even more like the pats did with watson and grahm a few years back.

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Shockey was a trade and was heavily talked about for a month or more. And Meachem was considered a steal at our pick... Is your precious TE a steal? Nope, more like a grab... huge grab.

oh, but you knew didn't you?

you were certain that they'd both be saints before it even became news, correct?

zachsaints52
01-15-2010, 10:18 PM
brian price?? hahha

no, brian brice is top 15. we'll never even sniff him. corey wooten, greg hardy or hughes either and dunlap we aren't going to touch because of characther issues.

there isn't a linebacker out there who is going to come in and take snaps from fujita at strongside either but we damn sure can replace darnell dinkins and bolster our 2-TE set to help our running game even more like the pats did with watson and grahm a few years back.

You are the first guy who has said Brian Price is Top 15. And you need to check out Sean Weatherspoon. He would replase Fujita. If we reach for anything it would be for a started at a position of need. Dont forget we have David Thomas (who we will resign) And he played decent enough to warrant a comeback for next year. A first on a TE after last years 2nd? No....

zachsaints52
01-15-2010, 10:20 PM
oh, but you knew didn't you?

you were certain that they'd both be saints before it even became news, correct?

Haha awww you think because you underlined the word you would make me feel better huh? And yeah Ive always envisioned Shockey a Saints. Ive loved Shockey as a player and once we got Payton and things went sour in NY we'd have a shot at him. And Meachem? Who knew he'd fall. Going by your thinking someone else will fall we don't know about so we won't get yoru TE

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Haha awww you think because you underlined the word you would make me feel better huh? And yeah Ive always envisioned Shockey a Saints. Ive loved Shockey as a player and once we got Payton and things went sour in NY we'd have a shot at him. And Meachem? Who knew he'd fall. Going by your thinking someone else will fall we don't know about so we won't get yoru TE

if a defender did fall that we liked, like i said earlier there is always the possibility that we snatch them up. i said so earlier.

you're saying that there is no way we go tightend no matter the value.

you told me to get that through my head and i cant. the colts took a runner 2 of the last four years.

are you going on record and saying that it is impossible? hell, im willing to go on record and say that price will never fall to us.

zachsaints52
01-15-2010, 10:30 PM
if a defender did fall that we liked, like i said earlier there is always the possibility that we snatch them up. i said so earlier.

you're saying that there is no way we go tightend no matter the value.

you told me to get that through my head and i cant. the colts took a runner 2 of the last four years.

are you going on record and saying that it is impossible? hell, im willing to go on record and say that price will never fall to us.

No im saying we aren't gonna use a 1st round pick on a guy who could be a 3rd round pick.
And Colts? Yeah they need running backs. Addai is usually hurt and Brown fell to them too.
I don't see this Mccoy dude going even close to us.

nofalcons10
01-16-2010, 03:29 AM
You are the first guy who has said Brian Price is Top 15. And you need to check out Sean Weatherspoon. He would replase Fujita. If we reach for anything it would be for a started at a position of need. Dont forget we have David Thomas (who we will resign) And he played decent enough to warrant a comeback for next year. A first on a TE after last years 2nd? No....
there aren't many 4-3 linebackers in the league now who can replace fujita.

weatherspoon is a good linebacker but he would not start over fujita. if williams wanted a strongside linebacker early than why not just draft cushing over jenkins last year if he thought that cushing could push fujita?

dude you can negative rep me all you want, but go to the draft board and argue that gronkowski and mccoy don't have first round talent and you will be negative repping folks all night for not agreeing with you.

david thomas nor billy miller are the blockers in the run game or passing game that mccoy is. when shockey is out we lose a lot of our unpredictability in the passing game. when dinkins can't catch, miller can't run block and thomas can't either because most of thomas' catches comes primarily as an h-back. he catches passes split out wide or in the backfield out of the shotgun primarily.

please tell me thomas and miller can run block like shockey can. pleeeeeeeeeease thell me that.

Crickett
01-16-2010, 03:30 AM
Where's the Vernon Gholston for a third rounder trade in this mock? :p

nofalcons10
01-16-2010, 03:33 AM
No im saying we aren't gonna use a 1st round pick on a guy who could be a 3rd round pick.
And Colts? Yeah they need running backs. Addai is usually hurt and Brown fell to them too.
I don't see this Mccoy dude going even close to us.

okay, go on record and say that mccoy wont be a first round pick.

you don't think reggie bush and shockey miss games every single year? when shockey is out which tightend can do what he can?

with shockey out we failed to score 20 pts twice. and our running game stunk.

nofalcons10
01-16-2010, 03:38 AM
Where's the Vernon Gholston for a third rounder trade in this mock? :p

we have anthony hargrove who played end in st. louis and in buffalo. when we release grant he'll likely slide to LE.

it would be nice to get rid of jeff charleston for gholston though.

tell me, were you one of those geniuses who just knew that cedric benson would have the year he had in 2009. I mean you probably knew he was capable of it and all, right? because you had the foresight and never gave up on the kid.

Crickett
01-16-2010, 03:54 AM
tell me, were you one of those geniuses who just knew that cedric benson would have the year he had in 2009. I mean you probably knew he was capable of it and all, right? because you had the foresight and never gave up on the kid.

No, I'm the guy who wanted the Jets to take a flier on Akili Smith as a backup/project after the Bengals cut him. And yes, the Jets did work him out but did not sign him.

I'm the guy who thought Drew Brees was getting a raw deal and that the Chargers should draft Robert Gallery or Larry Fitzgerald instead of a quarterback.

I'm the guy who wanted the Jets to look into the Jaguars cast off bust WR's this past off-season because they were so lacking in that department. Reggie Williams and cokehead Matt Jones.

And between me and you nofalcons....... I'm the guy who has seen Vernon Gholston play at the pro level.

Now, I just have one question.

tell me, were you one of those geniuses who just knew that charles rogers would have the year he had in 2006. I mean you probably knew he was capable of it and all, right?

nofalcons10
01-16-2010, 04:05 AM
tell me, were you one of those geniuses who just knew that charles rogers would have the year he had in 2006. I mean you probably knew he was capable of it and all, right?

charles rodgers threw his life away off of the field. he had numerous substance abuse issues even before he was drafted.

During the 2005 season, Rogers was suspended 4 games for a third violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy. As a result of this violation, the Lions filed a grievance, claiming that his drug suspension violated a clause in his contract, which would mean Rogers would be obligated to return $10 million of the $14.2 million the Lions gave him in bonuses. The Detroit Free Press would later report that Rogers failed drug tests each year while at Michigan State. Citing Lions chief operating officer Tom Lewand, a report Oct. 9, 2008 stated that Rogers must repay the team around $8.5 million.[2] Upon his return from suspension, despite the fact that Rogers was deemed healthy, he played only nine games, with three starts, and was declared inactive for four games. He caught 14 passes for 197 yards and a touchdown.

charles rodgers, just like kellen winslow, i would not have wanted on my team for early stupidity.

the stupidity in the case of gholston was not gholston's own, but mangini. I can't blame johnathan sullivan for jim haslett picking him.

the guy never had more talent than kevin williams (who we should've picked went to the vikings with the very next selection).

i understand that it hurt but it's time to let it go. Just let go, man. i promise you'll feel better when you do.

do you blame calvin pace for his play in arizona?

Crickett
01-16-2010, 04:13 AM
do you blame calvin pace for his play in arizona?

I blame him for not succeeding in Arizona as much as I do Kyle Vanden Bosch, Leonard Davis and Thomas Jones.

I guess you could make that argument about the Jets too. I mean they just keep drafting bust after bust on defense like Darrelle Rev............. ohhhhh, well, there's the huge bust that is David Harr........... ohhhhh.

As for Gholston, no, its not his stupidity, its his lack of effort on the field. So I guess Mike Williams would have been a better name to put there.

nofalcons10
01-16-2010, 04:16 AM
I blame him for not succeeding in Arizona as much as I do Kyle Vanden Bosch, Leonard Davis and Thomas Jones.

I guess you could make that argument about the Jets too. I mean they just keep drafting bust after bust on defense like Darrelle Rev............. ohhhhh, well, there's the huge bust that is David Harr........... ohhhhh.
why would you blame him for that? is he now a DE in NY?

bryan thom....

nofalcons10
01-16-2010, 04:18 AM
dwayne robert.....

nofalcons10
01-16-2010, 04:32 AM
As for Gholston, no, its not his stupidity, its his lack of effort on the field. So I guess Mike Williams would have been a better name to put there.

i guess you fans up there in NY hold patent to some sort of magical effort gauge that other teams fans aren't privy to that shows you when a player is trying hard and failing as opposed to not trying hard and failing.

ok, sarcasm aside, has he done something off of the field to make you think that he is just a lazy bum that struck it rich with an NFL contract and now just doesn't give half a damn?

i mean john sullivan was caught stealing sandwiches out of a press box before a game and got suspended. when you are playing as poorly as sullivan and charles rodgers you should not draw attention to yourself for the wrong reasons under any circumstances.

what has he done?

Crickett
01-16-2010, 12:05 PM
why would you blame him for that? is he now a DE in NY?

bryan thom....

dwayne robert.....

It should tell you something that you have to go back 7-8 years, 2 coaching staffs and one general manager to get to Bryan Thomas/DeWayne Robertson. I'm guessing it won't though.

Regardless.

Bryan Thomas? The guy Gholston can't beat out for a job? That Bryan Thomas?

DeWayne Robertson? The guy who had more tackles & sacks as a rookie at defensive tackle than Vernon Gholston has period? That DeWayne Robertson?

But here's the thing. DeWayne Robertson, while he never achieved his full potential, would occasionally show glimpses of it.

3rd Quarter
San Diego Chargers at 10:29
# 4-1-SD 30 (8:28) (Run formation) PENALTY on NYJ-D.Robertson, Encroachment, 6 yards, enforced at SD 30 - No Play.
# 1-10-SD 36 (8:19) L.Tomlinson up the middle to SD 33 for -3 yards (D.Robertson)

Now, that was the last time the Jets played the Chargers in a playoff game. The Chargers were trying to pull the Jets off sides in a fourth and short situation and they succeeded. They got DeWayne Robertson to jump. And yeah, he was pissed about it. So what happens the very next play? He bursts through the offensive line like it wasn't even there and Brees, Tomlinson and Robertson had a little meeting behind the line of scrimmage immediately after the handoff.

That eventually led to a punt.

Now, I don't really know what happened in Denver, but Robertson was like Bryan Thomas sorta average to below average as a 4-3 undertackle. Unfortunately, a guy who's biggest flaw at least that I could see was that he was completely and totally unable to handle the double team was moved from 4-3 undertackle was moved to 3-4 nose tackle. I mean, in the 4-3, they would stick anyone else at nose tackle. Even Josh Evans, who if I recall corrected was 280 pounds.

Now, compare that to Gholston, a pass rushing specialist in a defense that's #1 hobby is blitzing.

Okay Rex, its first and 10, what do we do? Blitz.
Okay Rex, its second and anywhere between 2 and 20, what do we do? Blitz.

Okay Rex, we're up against a pro bowl QB and a high powered offense, they're down by 7, its third and twenty two with a minute fifty left in the game. What do we do? Blitz.

i guess you fans up there in NY hold patent to some sort of magical effort gauge that other teams fans aren't privy to that shows you when a player is trying hard and failing as opposed to not trying hard and failing.

Yeah, that must be the case. And we get lots of rental fees from Oakland fans regarding JaMarcus Russell.

nofalcons10
01-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Now, compare that to Gholston, a pass rushing specialist in a defense that's #1 hobby is blitzing.

Okay Rex, its first and 10, what do we do? Blitz.
Okay Rex, its second and anywhere between 2 and 20, what do we do? Blitz.

Okay Rex, we're up against a pro bowl QB and a high powered offense, they're down by 7, its third and twenty two with a minute fifty left in the game. What do we do? Blitz.

if robertson ever really did show glimpses of #4 overall talent then i never saw it. all i remember robertson ever doing in highlights was pushing an undersized Texas a&m guard to the ground in a video that was over-hyped to make him seem like the next warren sapp.

neither robertson nor sullivan had any business going higher than kevin williams who actually had brian price-like production that year.

both of our coaches screwed up big-time and in any event robertson also had a chance to start an entire season at his college position. gholston has not.

all i'm saying is that if you want to give up on the guy before he ever really gets alot of playing time at DE then fine. knock yourself out.

you mentioned earlier that there were alot of players that you didn't give up on till the very end. gholston was a player that i really liked in college and i would like to see him succeed in the pros. if he doesn't, fine. no big deal, but in the end at least i was for giving the kid a second chance.

Joecool
03-28-2010, 10:10 AM
IMO they really dont need to draft 100% on needs
32 Everson Griffen - Get more sacks then last year.
64 Navorro Bowman - Help the D out alot.
95 Montario Hardesty - Mike Bell is really bad and i dont like him!
130 Jacoby Ford - Could be a nice slot guy.
239 Zac Robinson - If brees goes down there is no one behind him.

wicket
03-28-2010, 10:40 AM

id rather see another olb and a dt than ford and hardesty, besides that bell is gone, hamilton is a fine third runningback. Also we have a sixth rounder so you are skipping a pick.

zachsaints52
03-28-2010, 01:39 PM

So we use a 3rd on a 3rd RB, a 4th on a 5th WR, and the rest I dont mind.

wicket
03-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Ill do a second mock outside of my dream draft in my sig.
1 Brian Price
2 Eric Norwood
3 Greg Hardy
4 Rennie Curran
6 Jevan Snead
7 Jeff Byers

CJSchneider
03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
After the forum mock I'll post two here. The first outlining the forum mock draft as well as one of my own dream mock.

zachsaints52
03-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Ill do a second mock outside of my dream draft in my sig.
1 Brian Price
2 Eric Norwood
3 Greg Hardy
4 Rennie Curran
6 Jevan Snead
7 Jeff Byers

I love you.

Joecool
03-28-2010, 07:24 PM
So we use a 3rd on a 3rd RB, a 4th on a 5th WR, and the rest I dont mind.

No reggie bush is a screen back and thomas is the only true back they have. Hamilton or what ever his name is. Hes going to be trash cut him now. The saints only had 2 good WR Henderson and Colston. Ford imo with his speed will become better then both of them. There D made the game winning play in the super bowl. They dont need to draft heavy on D. Imo if gresham is there at 32 screw DE get him. Drafting on needs is over rated big time. Trust me Drew Brees its all downhill from here. Time to get a QB to learn under him now.

wicket
03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
No reggie bush is a screen back and thomas is the only true back they have. Hamilton or what ever his name is. Hes going to be trash cut him now. The saints only had 2 good WR Henderson and Colston. Ford imo with his speed will become better then both of them. There D made the game winning play in the super bowl. They dont need to draft heavy on D. Imo if gresham is there at 32 screw DE get him. Drafting on needs is over rated big time. Trust me Drew Brees its all downhill from here. Time to get a QB to learn under him now.

You seriously think maechem and lance moore are bad wideouts???????

u for reallzzz

Hamilton is a really good 3rd back as well

Joecool
03-28-2010, 07:46 PM
You seriously think maechem and lance moore are bad wideouts???????

u for reallzzz

Hamilton is a really good 3rd back as well

Moore and Hamilton were undrafted. Robert Meachem is ok but hes slow. He does catch the ball which is nice but he need to be more of a featured target before i view him as a good player. Jacoby Ford is going to be wide open with his speed and sean peyton is so good at play calling he can really get the most out of ford. Ford could be alot like a wes welker and could do stuff in the wild cat. I just don't think the defense is that bad right now. They need some fresh guys on the offense.

wicket
03-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Moore and Hamilton were undrafted. Robert Meachem is ok but hes slow. He does catch the ball which is nice but he need to be more of a featured target before i view him as a good player. Jacoby Ford is going to be wide open with his speed and sean peyton is so good at play calling he can really get the most out of ford. Ford could be alot like a wes welker and could do stuff in the wild cat. I just don't think the defense is that bad right now. They need some fresh guys on the offense.

maechem, slow, really?
Ford can be nothing like welker, ford has top end speed but no wiggle, mediocre body control and has never shown he can catch balls in traffic.
Why the hell would you run the wildcat if you have brees as a qb, maybe in third/fourth and really short situations but outside of that its just silly

yes the defense is not that bad but the saints have the best offense in the league with most of the main contributors being pretty young, the D got by on old timers and great playcalling. Add in some extra talent and the saints will actually also have a D that wins games

nofalcons10
03-29-2010, 12:29 AM

meachem isn't slow, he just cant run routes underneath. henderson and colston were clearly our best receivers last year but meachem was our primary deep threat.

i do agree with you about ford.

if we acquired another second or 3rd round pick i would love to select him or kyle williams of ASU because they are not only gamebreaking receivers but also very good special teamers.

as for tightend, i no longer think that we have to look at one high. i really love dennis morris in the 5th-7th rounds as a blocker and receiver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LARorin9Aos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzgfymjdANE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsOwYHIolHg&feature=related

nofalcons10
03-29-2010, 12:40 AM
i would seriously in all absolute honesty be fine with any of these as our top pick

jerry hughes
brandon graham
daryl washington
sean weatherspoon
terrence cody
cam thomas
dan wiliams
(and perhaps even linval joseph)

i would still cringe if we passed on gresham or gronkowski though. you know that it just wouldn't be if i didn't add that in there. :-P

CJSchneider
03-29-2010, 05:29 AM
i would seriously in all absolute honesty be fine with any of these as our top pick

jerry hughes
brandon graham
daryl washington
sean weatherspoon
terrence cody
cam thomas
dan wiliams
(and perhaps even linval joseph)

i would still cringe if we passed on gresham or gronkowski though. you know that it just wouldn't be if i didn't add that in there. :-P

For our needs, Cody and Thomas are too big a reach in the first. Cam Thomas may even end up being there in the 3rd.
The last thing we need to do is drafta TE in the first round, especially one who may have chronic back problems.

nofalcons10
03-29-2010, 06:12 AM
For our needs, Cody and Thomas are too big a reach in the first. Cam Thomas may even end up being there in the 3rd.
The last thing we need to do is drafta TE in the first round, especially one who may have chronic back problems.

cody and cam thomas are two of the best NTs in the entire draft. i doubt that they both ever make it past 40. if they do, i will gladly come back and admitt that im wrong but pass-rushers like huges and graham, NTs like cody,thomas, joseph, and williams, and linebackers like washington and weatherspoon don't often make it past the first round.

im done trying to convince saints regulars of cody's worth. he might even go before hughes because he had private workouts for the Chargers, Jets, and ravens. the dolphins even neeed a NT because of the age of jason furguson.

i honestly cant see how anyone who has watched them both play extensively would rank everson griffen or daryl washington as far and away better than either of them in terms of impact.

like i said, i know that the saints won't draft a TE in the first or second. it's just how i feel about those players. you do not have to agree with me. it could be the second coming of kellen winslow the III and saints fans still wouldn't want offense early in this draft.

gronkowkski just ran a 4.6 two days ago and worked out completely and looked good at his pro day. he was cleared medically by two doctors to play in january. the rumors that his back problems may persists are just that at this point.

wicket
03-29-2010, 06:59 AM
cody and cam thomas are two of the best NTs in the entire draft. i doubt that they both ever make it past 40. if they do, i will gladly come back and admitt that im wrong but pass-rushers like huges and graham, NTs like cody,thomas, joseph, and williams, and linebackers like washington and weatherspoon don't often make it past the first round.

im done trying to convince saints regulars of cody's worth. he might even go before hughes because he had private workouts for the Chargers, Jets, and ravens. the dolphins even neeed a NT because of the age of jason furguson.

i honestly cant see how anyone who has watched them both play extensively would rank everson griffen or daryl washington as far and away better than either of them in terms of impact.

like i said, i know that the saints won't draft a TE in the first or second. it's just how i feel about those players. you do not have to agree with me. it could be the second coming of kellen winslow the III and saints fans still wouldn't want offense early in this draft.

gronkowkski just ran a 4.6 two days ago and worked out completely and looked good at his pro day. he was cleared medically by two doctors to play in january. the rumors that his back problems may persists are just that at this point.

there is this guy called dan williams, advantage of him is that he actually fits the 4-3. cam thomas was really mediocre in collgere in the 4-3 and only is rated this hi cuz he is projected to do way better in the pros in the 3-4.

Cody is a massive risk any side, Linvall Joseph would make sense but still.

Neither Gronk or Gresham is anywhere close to the prospect KW3 is, niether are even close to being as athletic. Everybody always looks good on the pro day, id be suprised if any serious TE ran over 4.7 on a pro day

nofalcons10
03-29-2010, 07:21 AM
there is this guy called dan williams, advantage of him is that he actually fits the 4-3. cam thomas was really mediocre in collgere in the 4-3 and only is rated this hi cuz he is projected to do way better in the pros in the 3-4.

Cody is a massive risk any side, Linvall Joseph would make sense but still.

Neither Gronk or Gresham is anywhere close to the prospect KW3 is, niether are even close to being as athletic. Everybody always looks good on the pro day, id be suprised if any serious TE ran over 4.7 on a pro day

i completely agree that thomas is probably the best pure NT for the 3-4 in this draft but how can you completely dismiss his play at the senior bowl when playing on the same field as williams and cody? i really had to go back an watch the game a couple of times to realize that he played as well or better than both williams and cody and much better than both against the pass.

why is cody such a risk? i never understand this because the guy never missed a game in four years because of his weight at any level. if anything he has gotten smaller and was even at 348 for his pro day.

why doesn't gresham and gronkowski compare to winslow?

Winslow became the starter at Tight End and was named a finalist for the Mackey Award and deemed a First-team All-American by CNNSI.com, setting Miami records for a Tight End with 57 receptions for 726 yards and 8 touchdowns. His best game came during the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, which was the site of the BCS National Championship game that year, in which Winslow caught 11 passes for 122 yards and one touchdown.

Despite a slight drop in production during his junior season, in which Winslow caught 60 passes for 605 yards and 1 touchdown, he was selected as a First-Team All-American by the Associated Press and numerous other publications, and won the John Mackey Award as the nation's best collegiate tight end. After the season, Winslow decided against returning to Miami for his senior season and declared himself eligible for the 2004 NFL Draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellen_Winslow_II

gresham had 24 TDs in two years before his injury. i have never seen a Major school tightend with that much scoring production in the past 10 or 12 years.

http://espndb.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188942

growkowsi is a young huge target that caught 10 TDs in 2008. he would easily be the best tightend in 2011 if he had decided to return.

zachsaints52
03-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Winslow played in a very good conference with actual defenses. I would not put most pac 10 and big 12 defensive players in the NFL. But I want Spoon!!!!

nofalcons10
03-30-2010, 12:18 AM
2008 BCS national championship against florida--------8 rec., 62 yards, 2tds

against TCU----1 rec., 38 yards

against washington----3 rec., 99yards, 2 TDS

against miami-----------8 rec., 55 yards, 1 TD

west virginia-------------3 rec., 34 yards, 11.4 ypc. average

gresham was good against every conference

CJSchneider
03-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Winslow played in a very good conference with actual defenses. I would not put most pac 10 and big 12 defensive players in the NFL. But I want Spoon!!!!

You watch your dirt whorish mouth.

Saints-Tigers
03-30-2010, 11:51 AM
You really need us to explain why Gresham and Gronkowski aren't comparable prospects to Kellen Winslow?