PDA

View Full Version : Declaring Quarterbacks

grushcow
11-29-2008, 03:29 PM
I know its a given to most that Stafford will forego his senior year but who else do you think will test the waters?

Babylon
11-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I actually think there could be quite a few.

Stafford
Sanchez
McCoy
Davis
Freeman

My guess is Tebow and Bradford will stay, just a hunch

saintsfan912
11-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't see Tebow staying after he wins the NC this year. He has nothing left to prove and another year in that offense will only hurt him.

Babylon
11-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't see Tebow staying after he wins the NC this year. He has nothing left to prove and another year in that offense will only hurt him.

My reasoning there is he won't get a 1st round grade and decide to come back.

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Tim Tebow- Really has nothing to gain by going back
Nate Davis- Could improve some but has a kid
Sam Bradford- Already a top 10 pick but could go back
Mark Sanchez- Has the most to gain by staying one more year
Colt McCoy- Highly doubt he declares
Josh Freeman- Could improve with another year, but will have a new head coach/system

saintsfan912
11-29-2008, 04:00 PM
My reasoning there is he won't get a 1st round grade and decide to come back.

He won't get one as a senior either. Another season in a shotgun only offense will only hurt his chances of developing into a pro QB.

Brent
11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Colt McCoy- Highly doubt he declares
Dont be so surprised. He recently said he was interested in his possible draft position. He could easily ride this season's momentum into a decent draft position.

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Dont be so surprised. He recently said he was interested in his possible draft position. He could easily ride this season's momentum into a decent draft position.

IDK. He seems like the kind of guy that loves college and will want to come back and try for the National Championship again.

urinemonkey
11-29-2008, 04:22 PM
I actually think Stafford will stay. This was a disappointing season for Georgia, he and Moreno will stay to try and make a NC run next year. However, I think he should come out and take advantage of this weak QB class. Going #1 to the Lions is very possible (but then again, not wanting to be a Detroit Lion is reason enough to stay).

Smokey Joe
11-29-2008, 04:28 PM
IMO, these are top underclassmen QB's and what they'll do:

Matt Stafford - Leaves. This one is quite obvious.
Mark Sanchez - Leaves. Could possibly work his way into the top 5 with another year, but there is no guarantee he'd start next year with all the elite talent USC has at QB, and he's got some injury concerns to watch out about.
Sam Bradford - Maybe. If he wins the heisman and/or the National Championship, I see him declaring. If not, I could see him staying to try and accomplish at least one of those feats and assure himself of being a top 5 pick.
Tim Tebow - Leaves. He really doesn't have much left to prove by staying, and another year would more then likely hurt his value instead of helping it.
Colt McCoy - Maybe. Same boat as Bradford, IMO. I think if he and the horns don't win the NC, then he'll stay. Mack Brown has a way of making most of his top underclassmen stay.
Josh Freeman - Maybe. His coach is leaving, which might push him to leave, but if he stays he can really improve his stock and solidify a spot in the 1st round and perhaps the top 15.
Nate Davis - Stays. Right now he is a 2nd round prospect with the possibility of getting into the 1st. If he stays for another year, he could be the top Senior QB if Sanchez and McCoy do leave, IMO.

Am I missing anyone?

Babylon
11-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I actually think Stafford will stay. This was a disappointing season for Georgia, he and Moreno will stay to try and make a NC run next year. However, I think he should come out and take advantage of this weak QB class. Going #1 to the Lions is very possible (but then again, not wanting to be a Detroit Lion is reason enough to stay).

Stafford won't be back, what he needs to do if he doesn't want to play in Detroit is float it out there before the draft that he'll sit out the year. I wouldnt want to play there either.

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Stafford won't be back, what he needs to do if he doesn't want to play in Detroit is float it out there before the draft that he'll sit out the year. I wouldnt want to play there either.

That's what I imagine he'd do too. If I was gonna be the top pick this year, I certainly wouldn't want to play for WCF or live in Detroit. Especially right now.

saintsfan912
11-29-2008, 04:57 PM
I'd love to throw the ball to Megatron. That's if and only if they start spending money on quality Olineman instead of the bums they have now.

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Even throwing to CJ still wouldn't be enough for me to want to go there.

saintsfan912
11-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Maybe not. I've never been there so I don't know the city or the people there.

Zyro_1014
11-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Mark Sanchez - Leaves. Could possibly work his way into the top 5 with another year, but there is no guarantee he'd start next year with all the elite talent USC has at QB, and he's got some injury concerns to watch out about.

No guarantee he would start? are you kidding me???

i believe Sanchez stays because 1) hes a one year wonder right now 2) he can come back and have a shot at the heisman/national championship.

He has alot of things he can do in this extra year and lock himself up in the first round, so i believe he does just that.

BeerBaron
11-29-2008, 05:21 PM
In my opinion, Stafford and Bradford would both be top 10 picks and should enter. I'm 99.9% confident at least one will, a little less that they both do, but I think its a strong possibility. Between Detroit, KC, and SF they should both go...and then theres possibilities like Seattle, St. Louis, and Minny depending on the directions they want to go.

Tebow.....if he wins another title, he has no reason not to come out. Like it was said, another year in that offense will only hamper his development. Probably won't fall through the 2nd round....still not elite elite though.

Sanchez...hmm...he could go back to have another shot at a title, USC always seems to have those. He could come out....would probably be a mid first rounder at least, could push it higher with good workouts.

Davis...hmm. The success of guys like Big Ben and Flacco speak favorably of him. I think he could find himself in the first round with good workouts.

Freeman could come out....He'd certainly have freakish attributes going for him, but he just hasn't played as well as you would like. Some team would fall in love with him and think they could teach him.....plus he'll be going back to a new coach and presumably a new system if he stays in school, so he may just come out to avoid that.

McCoy....I think he should stay, especially if Texas doesn't win a title this year. He's probably the greatest college QB of the bunch but his pro prospects just don't look as sharp as some of the others.....

Smokey Joe
11-29-2008, 05:30 PM
No guarantee he would start? are you kidding me???

i believe Sanchez stays because 1) hes a one year wonder right now 2) he can come back and have a shot at the heisman/national championship.

He has alot of things he can do in this extra year and lock himself up in the first round, so i believe he does just that.
There is no guarantee Sanchez starts. If he slips up in camp, or he gets injured again, I think it is a very distinct possibility Aaron Corp or Mitch Mustain could take over the job. These guys are as good, if not better then Sanchez. That's how good their QB's are. Then, you have Matt Barkley, who is as talented of a QB you could get, and while he likely get redshirted his freshman year (as that's how Pete Carrol like to handle his QB's), he could compete for the job as well.

BeerBaron
11-29-2008, 05:42 PM
There is no guarantee Sanchez starts. If he slips up in camp, or he gets injured again, I think it is a very distinct possibility Aaron Corp or Mitch Mustain could take over the job. These guys are as good, if not better then Sanchez. That's how good their QB's are. Then, you have Matt Barkley, who is as talented of a QB you could get, and while he likely get redshirted his freshman year (as that's how Pete Carrol like to handle his QB's), he could compete for the job as well.

I agree that Sanchez should strongly consider coming out this year, especially if some of the other juniors decide to go back. But I think that if he were to go back after taking them to a likely BCS game this year, he'd get his job back. He'd have to be injured badly or perform pitifully to lose it...

Babylon
11-29-2008, 05:50 PM

I don't think Corp or Mustain are in the same class as Sanchez although both could get pro contracts. The only guy who would be considered is Barkley but Pete shows loyalty so that isnt going to happen. I think Sanchez at 22 years old and with all the teams that need QBs will probably come out.

hockey619
11-29-2008, 05:58 PM
I doubt Sanchez comes out. Hes lacking experience and most USC qbs go back for their senior years so i think he'll do that and become the top prospect next year. I love Sanchez as a player and i feel that hes the most talented of all the draft eligible qb's.

If he goes back, he will be the starter again without a doubt. Corp or Mustain are not threats to Sanchez and I havent seen much of him but I dont think that Barkley as a freshman is much of a threat either cause he needs to adjust to the system and speed of the game.

Brent
11-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Between Detroit, KC, and SF
Unless there is a new GM, OC and HC who have very different views on the organization, I severely doubt that SF takes a QB in round one.

BeerBaron
11-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Unless there is a new GM, OC and HC who have very different views on the organization, I severely doubt that SF takes a QB in round one.

Oh yeah thats right....Shaun Hill is the next coming of Peyton Manning. How could I make such a mistake! Brain fart ftw!

Whats the rule....don't pass on a potential franchise signal caller unless you already have one....

Scott Wright
11-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Here are my guesses:

Matthew Stafford - Yes
Tim Tebow - No
Nate Davis - Yes
Sam Bradford - No
Mark Sanchez - No
Colt McCoy - No
Josh Freeman - 50/50

Babylon
11-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Here are my guesses:

Matthew Stafford - Yes
Tim Tebow - No
Nate Davis - Yes
Sam Bradford - No
Mark Sanchez - No
Colt McCoy - No
Josh Freeman - 50/50

I think one or two of those you have as no would probably think there is an opening to come out. Supply and demand thing.

Malaka
11-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Here are my guesses:

Matthew Stafford - Yes
Tim Tebow - No
Nate Davis - Yes
Sam Bradford - No
Mark Sanchez - No
Colt McCoy - No
Josh Freeman - 50/50

I agree with all and for Freeman I put yes, one of the reasons he went KSU was the coach (name slips my mind) and now that he is gone I think he will be gone too, although he is nowhere near NFL ready, if chosen by the right team and developed properly could become very good in the NFL.

Brent
11-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh yeah thats right....Shaun Hill is the next coming of Peyton Manning. How could I make such a mistake! Brain fart ftw!
I never said he was going to be answer. Scot McCloughan recently said he wants to keep Alex Smith. Martz and Scot both think Alex is going succeed in the Martz system. Also, it's been widely assumed in the organization that Alex is taking a pay cut to stay in SF. Whether or not that is the solution, I dont know. Regardless, at this point, I would be shocked if they Niners take a QB in round one. Oh right, you know more than the beat writers, my mistake.

BeerBaron
11-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I never said he was going to be answer. Scot McCloughan recently said he wants to keep Alex Smith. Martz and Scot both think Alex is going succeed in the Martz system. Also, it's been widely assumed in the organization that Alex is taking a pay cut to stay in SF. Whether or not that is the solution, I dont know. Regardless, at this point, I would be shocked if they Niners take a QB in round one. Oh right, you know more than the beat writers, my mistake.

Just basing it off of what I read from other posters....If you ask any Lions, Chiefs, or Niners fan, none of them are taking a QB. Sounds a lot like the Falcons fans from last year....how'd it go for them?

Babylon
11-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree with all and for Freeman I put yes, one of the reasons he went KSU was the coach (name slips my mind) and now that he is gone I think he will be gone too, although he is nowhere near NFL ready, if chosen by the right team and developed properly could become very good in the NFL.

Ron Prince. I think Freeman will probably come out but not a 1st rounder in my opinion. I think there are some guys who could go round 2 or 3 like Freeman, Davis, McCoy and Bomar who have a chance to be real good at the next level.

Brent
11-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Sounds a lot like the Falcons fans from last year....how'd it go for them?
The only way I see them taking a QB in round one is if Jenkins, Raji, Oher, Maualuga and Orakpo are all gone. And even then, it would undoubtedly have to be Stafford or Bradford.

BeerBaron
11-29-2008, 06:36 PM
The only way I see them taking a QB in round one is if Jenkins, Raji, Oher, Maualuga and Orakpo are all gone. And even then, it would undoubtedly have to be Stafford or Bradford.

You would take Raji in the first round for them? They're likely looking at top 10....if not top 5....and I think thats a little high for a guy who was just recently creeping into the 2nd round of mocks.

Babylon
11-29-2008, 06:38 PM

I don't think they go QB either, to me someone is going to trade up to take Stafford and the other teams that may be in the market are probably Seattle,Vikings, Bucs, Dolphins. Not big on Raji or Rey Rey going that early either but that's a differant subject.

Brent
11-29-2008, 06:42 PM
You would take Raji in the first round for them? They're likely looking at top 10....if not top 5....and I think thats a little high for a guy who was just recently creeping into the 2nd round of mocks.
No, I dont but I am just saying, they have so many other needs and there really isnt a QB the Niners would be willing to take who is going to fall to their spot (somewhere in that 8-12 range).

rockio42
11-29-2008, 07:28 PM
With the success of a guy like Joe Flacco in the NFL and his position in the draft I think Nate Davis coming out is extremely possible

ChosenOne
11-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Here are my guesses:

Matthew Stafford - Yes
Tim Tebow - No
Nate Davis - Yes
Sam Bradford - No
Mark Sanchez - No
Colt McCoy - No
Josh Freeman - 50/50

If it turns out like that, it'd be a very weak quarterback class this year.

BeerBaron
11-29-2008, 07:41 PM
If it turns out like that, it'd be a very weak quarterback class this year.

Aye...If I were Bradford, I'd try and wait until the last possible second to officially declare. If it looks like only maybe Stafford and not much else, I'd enter...If theres Stafford, Sanchez, Davis, etc....a whole bunch....I'd stay in school. Come out in another year when the class could be weaker yet.

Zyro_1014
11-29-2008, 07:43 PM

USC going to a BCS game is going to secure Sanchez's job for next year. He's too good not to start. Sure the other 2 and Barkley are talented but Carrol isnt going to do that.

If Carrol was that type of guy Booty wouldnt have started his senior year because Sanchez was two times the QB JDB was.

And i want Barkley to start as a RS FR. :)

PACKmanN
11-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Brain Brohm stayed his final year after changing systems I believe, why wouldn't Freeman do that same?

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Brain Brohm stayed his final year after changing systems I believe, why wouldn't Freeman do that same?

Didn't really help Brohm much did it?

yourfavestoner
11-29-2008, 07:54 PM
If Florida wins the NC then Tebow leaves. If they don't, he stays.

BeerBaron
11-29-2008, 07:57 PM

I can't really think of many players.....QB's especially....who it did help. If it looks like your going to be a first round pick as a junior, come out. Seems like far more players have their stock hurt by staying than visa versa.

Cigaro
11-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Here are my guesses:

Matthew Stafford - Yes
Tim Tebow - No
Nate Davis - Yes
Sam Bradford - No
Mark Sanchez - No
Colt McCoy - No
Josh Freeman - 50/50

Mine:

Matthew Stafford- Yes
Tim Tebow- Yes
Nate Davis- Yes
Sam Bradford- Yes
Mark Sanchez- No
Colt McCoy- No
Josh Freeman- lol

PACKmanN
11-29-2008, 08:02 PM

Its not like he had a bad year, he had a strong year. I don't know what GMs like, Flacco and Ryan are out preforming him so its a sign that Brohm was the one that needed to be developed longer.

Babylon
11-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Aye...If I were Bradford, I'd try and wait until the last possible second to officially declare. If it looks like only maybe Stafford and not much else, I'd enter...If theres Stafford, Sanchez, Davis, etc....a whole bunch....I'd stay in school. Come out in another year when the class could be weaker yet.

Not sure about that logic because Bradford goes before all those guys you mentioned except for Stafford.

BeerBaron
11-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Not sure about that logic because Bradford goes before all those guys you mentioned except for Stafford.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying, if it were just he and Stafford competing as the top QBs, they'd both go in the top 10. Be it teams already there or teams like Minny trading up.

But if you throw in everyone there.....ehh.....one strong offseason from a guy like Sanchez or Davis could cause Bradford to tumble a little ala Quinn or Rodgers.

RaiderNation
11-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Matthew Stafford- Yes
Tim Tebow- No
Nate Davis- No
Sam Bradford- Yes
Mark Sanchez- No
Colt McCoy- Yes
Josh Freeman- Yes

sbh15
11-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I think Freeman and Davis will definitely declare. This class is terribly weak at the QB position and there are a few teams that could be in dire need of a QB. Stafford will probably leave because this is a disappointing year, but I think that Tebow and Bradford stay (Bradford to try for a NC if he doesn't win one and Tebow because he should enjoy the college game while he can. He either will struggle in the NFL or not see much action for a while).

Monomach
11-29-2008, 09:42 PM

If it's only Stafford and Bradford, they're both guaranteed great draft slots. If all of them come out, a lot of teams could say to themselves:

"Wellllllllllll, I love Bradford, but there are some really nice <position of need here> on the board right now. Ah, screw it. We'll just get <your choice of QBs 3 to 5 or 6 here> in the second to be the QB. He may not be quite as good as Bradford, but he's not terribly far off and the <position of need here> in the second are all huge drop offs from the first rounders."

ninerjohn
11-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Here are my guesses:

Matthew Stafford - Yes
Tim Tebow - No
Nate Davis - Yes
Sam Bradford - No
Mark Sanchez - No
Colt McCoy - No
Josh Freeman - 50/50

I will go with:

Stafford YES NO DOUBT
Tebow NO.. will not be a top pick.. so why not enjoy college FB
Davis YES... I think he finds out he will go late in rd 1 - and comes out
Bradford...YES... too much money to pass up as the #1 pick in draft
Sanchez NO ... not ready for Prime Time and not a #1 pick.. needs a yr
McCoy NO ... tough call but not a first rd pick - so he will be back

Smokey Joe
11-30-2008, 09:45 AM
USC going to a BCS game is going to secure Sanchez's job for next year. He's too good not to start. Sure the other 2 and Barkley are talented but Carrol isnt going to do that.

If Carrol was that type of guy Booty wouldnt have started his senior year because Sanchez was two times the QB JDB was.

And i want Barkley to start as a RS FR. :)
What are the odds of Mustain transfering again? He couldn't transfer to another FBS team (correct?), but he could go to a good FCS team and start right away for the next two years.

I'm thinking about calling USC the QB U.

Iamcanadian
11-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Here are my guesses:

Matthew Stafford - Yes
Tim Tebow - No
Nate Davis - Yes
Sam Bradford - No
Mark Sanchez - No
Colt McCoy - No
Josh Freeman - 50/50

I tend to agree that there may be no rush to come out for many of the QB's. They will be looking for a top 10 or in some cases a top 5 rating from the NFL advisory committee before they will consider coming out. Stafford going to get it , maybe Bradford but the puck stops there. Declaring junior QB's have not been very successful in the NFL and until one proves he can make the jump to stardom, teams will be extremely reluctant to draft one in the top 5 or even the top 10.
The big money lays in the top 5 and few QB's will declare and pass up top 5 guaranteed money just to come out early. If the NFL advisory committee tells these QB's that they will drop because they are juniors then a lot of them may return to school.
Pro teams will be looking at Eli Manning as an example, a rookie QB gets a 5 year contract so what do I get for my money. He broke out in his 4th season so I get 2 very productive seasons before he enters the FA market. Eli was a senior QB when he entered the pros. Junior QB's may even take an extra year to develop which means teams get perhaps 1 very productive year before he becomes a FA. These facts are very likely to turn off a lot of teams and could see a lot of junior QB's return to school after being told they will be mid range 1st or even 2nd round draft picks. They would be giving up substantial money to come out.

Brent
11-30-2008, 10:37 AM
I think what we might be forgetting here about Bradford and college players in general is they might just not be ready, personally and mentally, to go to the NFL. That's a pretty big life change to take on and I would image it could be kind of scary to go into that environment.

Race for the Heisman
11-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Here are my guesses:

Matthew Stafford - Yes
Tim Tebow - No
Nate Davis - Yes
Sam Bradford - No
Mark Sanchez - No
Colt McCoy - No
Josh Freeman - 50/50

That's exactly how I've been seeing it as I do mock drafts, except with Freeman declaring. To be honest I have no clue about Freeman but the vibes I got from each mirrored these predictions.

Babylon
11-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I think what we might be forgetting here about Bradford and college players in general is they might just not be ready, personally and mentally, to go to the NFL. That's a pretty big life change to take on and I would image it could be kind of scary to go into that environment.

I agree. Stafford and Bradford are a little differant in their situations. Stafford has been a big star since highschool, plays away from home and has started down there in Athens for 3 years. To me his frame of mind is probably he's done enough there. Bradford is somewhat new to stardom, only two years playing there and he plays in an unorthodox system as opposed to the pro style they run at Geogia. My guess is he will stay. Emphasis on the guess.

ChezPower4
11-30-2008, 12:02 PM

I agree and I think it would be a huge mistake if Bradford were to come out this season.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Personally, I'm not sold that if Bradford comes out, he'll be a top 10 pick. If he and Sanchez both wind up in the same draft (either 2009 or 2010), I think Sanchez will go first. Bradford simply has a lot about his playing situation that scouts will nitpick and Sanchez has the benefit of being really prototypical.

Not to say it would be a mistake for Bradford to come out, because another year of scrutiny might be more damaging to his stock than an early entry to the NFL.

Zyro_1014
11-30-2008, 02:30 PM
What are the odds of Mustain transfering again? He couldn't transfer to another FBS team (correct?), but he could go to a good FCS team and start right away for the next two years.

I'm thinking about calling USC the QB U.

Well Mustain can possibly get one year under center as a senior (assuming Sanchez stays for next year) but its a tough situation because who knows if he is willing to do that. And to me Mustain is a guy who kinda likes being in the spotlight and idk if he would have the guts to play for an FCS team.

idk maybe if he knows it wont hurt his draft stock. He has all the tools, i just think hes a dumb ass for going to USC...i mean if you think about it what is he thinking? lol

Babylon
11-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Well Mustain can possibly get one year under center as a senior (assuming Sanchez stays for next year) but its a tough situation because who knows if he is willing to do that. And to me Mustain is a guy who kinda likes being in the spotlight and idk if he would have the guts to play for an FCS team.

idk maybe if he knows it wont hurt his draft stock. He has all the tools, i just think hes a dumb ass for going to USC...i mean if you think about it what is he thinking? lol

Matt Cassel gives hope to Mustain and others who never really put it all together. Doubt also that he starts once Barkely is there either.

Zyro_1014
11-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Matt Cassel gives hope to Mustain and others who never really put it all together. Doubt also that he starts once Barkely is there either.

oh ill be the first one to say id like to see Barkley to start right after Sanchez is gone so dont get me wrong there. I see an absolute stud in that kid so...lol. expectin big things!

CashmoneyDrew
11-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Barkleyzzzz will be vol now that Kiffin is in Knoxville!!!!!!!!!

Zyro_1014
11-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Barkleyzzzz will be vol now that Kiffin is in Knoxville!!!!!!!!!

HELL NO HE WONT!.

dont you put that evil on us my friend! Barkley was born to be a Trojan! lol

Habibi
11-30-2008, 03:48 PM

Alex Smith is scheduled to make over 9mil next season. There is absolutely no way he's a 49er. Furthermore, there is absolutely no way Martz is the OC next year. QB is far and away the single greatest need for the 49ers, and the best fit for a Matthew Stafford-type signal caller.

Smokey Joe
11-30-2008, 04:06 PM
oh ill be the first one to say id like to see Barkley to start right after Sanchez is gone so dont get me wrong there. I see an absolute stud in that kid so...lol. expectin big things!
What about Corp? Gonna move him WR or something, if he doesn't transfer? If Carrol really wanted to develop his QB's, he could do something like:

09 - Sanchez
10 - Mustain
11 - Corp
12 - Barkley
13 - Barkley

But then again, someone as talented as Barkley shouldn't sit more then 1 season, if they are truly as talented as people say. Oh well, this is a very good problem to have.

Babylon
11-30-2008, 04:17 PM
What about Corp? Gonna move him WR or something, if he doesn't transfer? If Carrol really wanted to develop his QB's, he could do something like:

09 - Sanchez
10 - Mustain
11 - Corp
12 - Barkley
13 - Barkley

But then again, someone as talented as Barkley shouldn't sit more then 1 season, if they are truly as talented as people say. Oh well, this is a very good problem to have.

They'll have all they can do to keep Barkley on the bench for 1 year nevermind 3. Besides you start going down that road and you don't get the next Barkely that comes along.

Menardo75
11-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Alex Smith is scheduled to make over 9mil next season. There is absolutely no way he's a 49er. Furthermore, there is absolutely no way Martz is the OC next year. QB is far and away the single greatest need for the 49ers, and the best fit for a Matthew Stafford-type signal caller.

You definitley watch a lot of Niner games.....

If Alex takes a pay cut which it sounds like he will he will stay. He is still young and still has a chance especially in the Martz system. Now people that actually do watch Niner games is that Rt is far and away the biggest need right now. They have gone through three different guys with no success.

Zyro_1014
11-30-2008, 06:08 PM

09 - Sanchez
10 - Mustain
11 - Corp
12 - Barkley
13 - Barkley

see ive never really been really high on Corp, and ive always expected him to transfer as soon as we knew we were the front runner for Barkley a couple years ago. He may get that one season but i highly doubt he will beat out Barkley.....just somethin about the kid.

Babylon
11-30-2008, 06:13 PM

Looks like Seattle will be picking before San Francisco so my boy Stafford probably isnt going to be there. Sorry.:D

Paranoidmoonduck
11-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Alex Smith is scheduled to make over 9mil next season. There is absolutely no way he's a 49er.

Not that I don't expect San Francisco to target a quarterback should one be reasonably available, but I really do think that Alex Smith will renegotiate and come back to San Francisco for a chance to play. I don't think any better team is going to give him a reasonable shot.

Brent
11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Not that I don't expect San Francisco to target a quarterback should one be reasonably available, but I really do think that Alex Smith will renegotiate and come back to San Francisco for a chance to play. I don't think any better team is going to give him a reasonable shot.
Our GM has hinted several times that he's most likely to come back as this is his best place to start. Any other team is going to relegate him to being a career back up or project.

Zyro_1014
11-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Looks like Seattle will be picking before San Francisco so my boy Stafford probably isnt going to be there. Sorry.:D

waste of his talent ;)

P-L
11-30-2008, 09:01 PM
I think Bradford should stay. I really like him as an NFL prospect, but I have my doubts on how successful he'll be if he comes out this year. The adjustment from spread offense to pro offense can be a big one for a senior quarterback. I think it's asking a lot for a redshirt junior to successfully make the transition.

georgiafan
11-30-2008, 09:03 PM
As expected Stafford dodged the questions about the NFL after the game

http://georgia.scout.com/2/816914.html

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/11/30/moreno_stafford_nfl.html

Babylon
11-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I think Bradford should stay. I really like him as an NFL prospect, but I have my doubts on how successful he'll be if he comes out this year. The adjustment from spread offense to pro offense can be a big one for a senior quarterback. I think it's asking a lot for a redshirt junior to successfully make the transition.

I agree. He doesn't really have the experience of someone like Stafford but i'm sure someone will get in his ear and tell him he's passing up a lot of money. My guess is he'll stay.