PDA

View Full Version : Crennel Needs "Miracle Finish" To Save Job

diabsoule
11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3735059

I don't think Bill Cowher would go there, and I'm not a fan of Mike Mularkey as a HC, but the rest of the candidates are top notch.

Can't say that this wasn't a long time in the making.

Bruce Banner
11-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Dorsey is going to start the rest of the year, correct?

I don't see a miracle happening.

SenorGato
11-30-2008, 03:41 PM
I realize he's the O-coordinator on my own team...but what has Brian Schottenheimer done to be so highly thought of so quickly? He was getting HC offers after just a year of being a coordinator.

Just looking for an outsiders perspective. I think he's creative, ballsy, and quick to adapt....but still...I guess never expect that kind of hype for a Jets assistant coach I guess.

diabsoule
11-30-2008, 03:44 PM
I realize he's the O-coordinator on my own team...but what has Brian Schottenheimer done to be so highly thought of so quickly? He was getting HC offers after just a year of being a coordinator.

Just looking for an outsiders perspective. I think he's creative, ballsy, and quick to adapt....but still...I guess never expect that kind of hype for a Jets assistant coach I guess.

It's name recognition. If his last name was Puncholewski he probably wouldn't be getting offers right now. Just look at Mike Trgovac in Carolina. I think he's a great DC but people can't pronounce his last name so he doesn't interview for HC jobs.

Getting back to the main point, I like Brian Schottenheimer but I think he still needs a few years as an OC. I just haven't been overly impressed. It should be easy to be successful when you've been surrounding by the talent he's had to coach.

SenorGato
11-30-2008, 03:52 PM
It's name recognition. If his last name was Puncholewski he probably wouldn't be getting offers right now. Just look at Mike Trgovac in Carolina. I think he's a great DC but people can't pronounce his last name so he doesn't interview for HC jobs.

Getting back to the main point, I like Brian Schottenheimer but I think he still needs a few years as an OC. I just haven't been overly impressed. It should be easy to be successful when you've been surrounding by the talent he's had to coach.

I agree that he needs more time to build an actual resume...but until this year the Jets weren't exactly loaded with talent while Schott has been here.

Put it this way, our running game in '06 consisted of Kevan Barlow and Leon Washington...so basically it was Leon Washington.

keylime_5
11-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Cowher is a former Browns coach, and I hear they'll offer him major dollar and possibly personnel control. I'd like to see Rex Ryan or the Giants' DC hired too. Crennel has been a lame duck for a few weeks now, not really new.

Menardo75
11-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Good-bye Romeo come be our DC :)

PoopSandwich
11-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Lord Anderson is hurt NOooOooOooOOooooooooooooooooOoOoooOO!

SaintsMan
11-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I would take him over Payton in a second.

keylime_5
11-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I would take him over Payton in a second.

that's laughable. apparnetly you haven't experienced the disfunction that is Cleveland football. crennel as DC = bien. crennel as HC = worthless garbage.

SaintsMan
11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
crennel as HC = worthless garbage.

Well, I guess Payton = Crennel

Babylon
11-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Cowher is a former Browns coach, and I hear they'll offer him major dollar and possibly personnel control. I'd like to see Rex Ryan or the Giants' DC hired too. Crennel has been a lame duck for a few weeks now, not really new.

Hopefully Cowher can tackle and catch the ball otherwise it probably isnt going to matter much.

ChezPower4
11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow surpising after he got that extension last year. I don't see a "mircale finish" so I guess he's all but fired. Ryan and Spags both would be great chocies givin their defensive background. Does this mean that Savage is on the hot seat as well? Cuz it seems that him and Romeo were in this together.

derza222
11-30-2008, 05:33 PM
I wonder where Romeo gets his next shot as a coach. Certainly wouldn't mind him as the DC of the Jets... And I agree with SenorGato and diabsoule, I don't really like Schottenheimer as a HC candidate, at least not at the moment. His offenses can be creative but aren't always effective, he's got some talent to work with this year and hasn't really in the past, but he tends to do some really questionable things situationally and as far as general gameplans. His gameplan against the Titans was very solid, though.

EvilMonkey
11-30-2008, 06:07 PM
bring him back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/richswerb/martygleam.jpg

regoob2
11-30-2008, 06:39 PM
No Quinn, no Anderson. I doubt Crennel is back.

Geo
11-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Crennel has made some stupid decisions that certainly didn't help, but their offense is inept (today certainly no exception) and how much do you put on him for that?

And how about calling out Phil Savage for wasting money and a roster spot on Donte Stallworth? He's worthless so far.

bored of education
11-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Crennel makes Herm look awesome. Its great!

sbh15
11-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Bill Cowher? His daughter goes to my school! He's at all the basketball games. She's a senior, so maybe with all of his daughters in college, he'll be looking for another coaching job...

keylime_5
11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Crennel has made some stupid decisions that certainly didn't help, but their offense is inept (today certainly no exception) and how much do you put on him for that?

And how about calling out Phil Savage for wasting money and a roster spot on Donte Stallworth? He's worthless so far.

team has talent but is without question underperforming, notably on offense. That is not a sign of being well coached. Cleveland's clock management has to be the worst I've ever seen as well. Crennel's ticket was punched weeks ago. Stallworth might not be so terrible if the rest of the offense was so awful. Worth the risk at least, especially considering Jurevicius didn't play this year and our #3 WR in freakin' Syndric Steptoe (who?).

Mr. Stiller
11-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Bill Cowher? His daughter goes to my school! He's at all the basketball games. She's a senior, so maybe with all of his daughters in college, he'll be looking for another coaching job...

Thing is, he is not going to be hurting for money anytime soon, and I doubt he leaves his cushy Studio Job 1 day a week for any team.

He's one of few guys that can pick where they want to go.

And if he goes to Cleveland I expect Phil Savage to be gone.

I would absolutely LOVE to see Mike Mularkey go there.

Bucs_Rule
11-30-2008, 08:02 PM

Its partially the coaches fault if players underperformed. Even if you say the offense isn't his fault, what has he done to justify him staying on?

Geo
11-30-2008, 08:11 PM
He's coaching a team that went from no talent to some talent?

I don't think it's out of reason to consider giving Crennel 2009 as an absolute make or break season. The QB controversy will be over, as the franchise QB in Quinn will finally be starting, and the other younger players (like both starting corners) will have more experience.

Draft-wise, the two biggest needs are an additional pass rusher and a wide receiver to count on because Edwards is butterfingers and Winslow can't stay healthy. Maybe an inside linebacker too. Jamal Lewis doesn't have much of any speed anymore, but Jerome Harrison and Jason Wright are on the roster - blame Crennel for not playing those guys enough, I suppose.

Mr. Stiller
11-30-2008, 08:22 PM
He's coaching a team that went from no talent to some talent?

I don't think it's out of reason to consider giving Crennel 2009 as an absolute make or break season. The QB controversy will be over, as the franchise QB in Quinn will finally be starting, and the other younger players (like both starting corners) will have more experience.

Draft-wise, the two biggest needs are an additional pass rusher and a wide receiver to count on because Edwards is butterfingers and Winslow can't stay healthy. Maybe an inside linebacker too. Jamal Lewis doesn't have much of any speed anymore, but Jerome Harrison and Jason Wright are on the roster - blame Crennel for not playing those guys enough, I suppose.

I think WR is a huge need. And I believe they drafted Rucker to replace Winslow... I can see Winslow leaving Cleveland after this season.

They need some WR's with Reliable hands, and Stallworth was a terrible signing.

SenorGato
11-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Good-bye Romeo come be our DC :)

Not if Mangini can't lure him in first. ;) He's been pushing for Rob Ryan the past couple of years, but iunno what happened there. Probably Al Davis.

Might as well use those old Patriot connections.

tjsunstein
11-30-2008, 08:28 PM
They need to work a miracle in the drafts before they can work one on the field.

GB12
11-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Just look at Mike Trgovac in Carolina. I think he's a great DC but people can't pronounce his last name so he doesn't interview for HC jobs.
Yeah, I'm sure that's why. :rolleyes:

keylime_5
11-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Crennel wasn't a guy Savage picked out to be head coach and I know Lerner probably won't fire Savage unless he brings in a coach who will want full control of the personnel decisions...like Cowher. Don't expect Savage to go unless that happens.

Winslow is good, but expendable with Heiden and Rucker. We are 2-0 without him this year. We do need some good WRs who can catch. We really really missed Joe Jurevicius this year. Braylon has been absolute garbage this year. He gets worse at catching over his career as opposed to the opposite.

LonghornsLegend
11-30-2008, 09:21 PM
I used to stand up for Crennel but he's made some bonehead decisions this year that I didn't understand, he doesn't look or act like much of a HC in press conferences(then again neither does Wade Phillips).

Whoever they end up bringing in will have a nice foundation to work with, but doesn't this make the QB situation more cloudy? Is a new coach and/or GM going to feel the need to play Quinn because the fans want him or will they go with Anderson if he's playing better? I'm not sold on Quinn just yet.

Geo
11-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't think Derek Anderson is a Cleveland Browns player next season, but I wonder if the Browns can find a trade partner or have to cut him. His current contract (thanks Rotoworld):

'09- $1.45M base salary + $5M roster bonus
'10- $7.45M base salary + $2M roster bonus

Maybe a team could be willing to pay 6.45M in '09, but 9.45M in '10? Doubtful.

Granted, a team that theoretically trades for him could sign him to an extension after '09 to alleviate the next season, if they wanted him signed long-term. Still, I doubt it and his season-ending knee sprain today might not help matters.

I have a wild guess that Derek Anderson might end up in Detroit next season.

diabsoule
12-01-2008, 12:51 AM
I don't think Derek Anderson is a Cleveland Browns player next season, but I wonder if the Browns can find a trade partner or have to cut him. His current contract (thanks Rotoworld):

'09- $1.45M base salary + $5M roster bonus
'10- $7.45M base salary + $2M roster bonus

Maybe a team could be willing to pay 6.45M in '09, but 9.45M in '10? Doubtful.

Granted, a team that theoretically trades for him could sign him to an extension after '09 to alleviate the next season, if they wanted him signed long-term. Still, I doubt it and his season-ending knee sprain today might not help matters.

I have a wild guess that Derek Anderson might end up in Detroit next season.

I don't think that's a bad idea. If they could sign or trade or whatever for Anderson then they could draft someone like Rhett Bomar later in the draft and concentrate on building their O-line with their first rounders.

PoopSandwich
12-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Browns are gonna hire Mike Gundy and he's gonna lecture the media and say he benched Braylon because Braylon dropped a pass in a pick up game and he benched brady quinn because he said shaun rogers is fat and came cryin home to his mom.

EvilMonkey
12-07-2008, 12:03 PM
bring him back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/richswerb/martygleam.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3752018