PDA

View Full Version : Junior OTs

marshallb
11-30-2008, 06:46 PM
How would you rank the Junior OT's. Guys like Andre Smith, Eben Britton, Ciron Black, Russell Okung, etc. Please give a short reasoning as to why that is your order(why you like one guy over the other). Also which guys do you think will or should leave. Also, please add more Junior OTs to that list.

SuperKevin
11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I'd go

1. Andre Smith- Good as gone
2. Eben Britton- I think he should declare. Likely a top 15 pick if he does. His stock reminds me of Ryan Clady.
3. Russell Okung- I think he should stay. OK State will be scary next year with Oklahoma and Texas likely taking some hits from the draft
4. Ciron Black
5. Adam Ulatoski
6. Sam Young

Babylon
11-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I'd rank them just as you have them;

Smith, 2009
Britton, 2009
Black , 2009
Okung, 2010

Could probably add Ulatoski of Texas and Young of Notre Dame. Both in 2010.

iBoldin
11-30-2008, 07:25 PM
1. Andre Smith - He's gone.
2. Eben Britton - I think he's undecided. Although, I would lean towards staying unless he's assured of a top 15 pick.
3. Russell Okung - I agree with SuperKevin. I think he stays. He's a good bet for a top three tackle, though.
4. Ciron Black - Totally forgot he was an underclassmen. Don't know how much he'll move up if he stays. I'm leaning towards him leaving.
5. Sam Young - Awful this year. However, he's a good bet to leave with the situation Note Dame is in. Likely a mid round pick, projects to be a right tackle. I'll say 75/25 on leaving.

illmatic74
11-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Don't automatically think Andre Smith is leaving. I remember when D'Brickshaw Ferguson was a guranteed top 5 pick his junior year and came back.

SuperKevin
11-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Don't automatically think Andre Smith is leaving. I remember when D'Brickshaw Ferguson was a guranteed top 5 pick his junior year and came back.

Ferguson did it for education since it's hard to pass up a degree from UVa. I get the feeling Andre Smith doesn't care

urinemonkey
11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Andre Smith could very well come back, especially if Alabama falls short of the national championship.

Babylon
11-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Andre Smith could very well come back, especially if Alabama falls short of the national championship.

Smith's not going to get any taller or go any higher in the draft by staying.

Mr. Stiller
11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Outside of Andre Smith/Michael Oher I think Russell Okung is the best Tackle in this draft, and I think he's just too raw to be on their level..

With a season or two to get to about 315-320 he is going to be a monster.

urinemonkey
11-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Smith's not going to get any taller or go any higher in the draft by staying.

Fair point, but never underestimate the fact that most of these kids love being in college and basically being worshipped by everyone on campus as the star of the football team. There is no pressure or scrutiny on him at Alabama, unlike the pros. He will be a very high pick whenever he declares, and I bet you he would really like a national championship ring. Not every highly touted junior is going to declare for the draft. Some guys want to relish the college experience as much as they can, which is perfectly fine and understandable.

urinemonkey
11-30-2008, 08:31 PM
What's with this rep I got for my previous post in this thread?

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg168/kingkrusha/Picture2.png

I get called an idiot for having a different opinion? Wow. I guess it's easy to anonymously insult someone over the internet. Makes some people feel like a badass.

Mr. Stiller
11-30-2008, 08:58 PM

I get called an idiot for having a different opinion? Wow. I guess it's easy to anonymously insult someone over the internet. Makes some people feel like a badass.

It didn't hurt your rep.

Malaka
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM

LOL hmm looks like the same thing you did to me earlier, about James Laurinaitis guess what you didn't affect my rep either ;) but good try though, I'd neg you but I hardly ever neg people except for starheather whenever I can I neg him.

About Andre Smith I think he will come out he the best OT right now IMO, and I do not think he will pass it up.

Texas Homer
12-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Andre Smith
Ciron Black
Russell Okung

I like Adam Ulatoski a lot. He played well early on, but he got hurt late this season and his game has slipped a little since the injury. I think Ulatoski is a 3-5 round pick. I think he could go higher if he gets stronger and finds a way to improve his foot work some.

Scott Wright
12-01-2008, 12:53 AM
As a rough list I would go:

Andre Smith, Alabama
Russell Okung, Oklahoma St.
Trent Williams, Oklahoma
Eben Britton, Arizona
Ciron Black, L.S.U.

Texas Homer
12-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Just curious, what can you tell me about Trent Williams, Oklahoma?

I know about Robinson and Loadholt, but I don't know much about Williams.

Do you have a short scouting report on him?

Scott Wright
12-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Just curious, what can you tell me about Trent Williams, Oklahoma?

I know about Robinson and Loadholt, but I don't know much about Williams.

Do you have a short scouting report on him?

He's playing right tackle for them this year but he'll kick to the left side to replace Loadholt next year. Not flashy but a very good all-around player.

Babylon
12-03-2008, 04:19 PM
2. Eben Britton - I think he's undecided. Although, I would lean towards staying unless he's assured of a top 15 pick.

Stated today that he would have to consider coming out if he was projected to go in the 1st round of the draft (which he will). Adjust your mocks accordingly.

SuperKevin
12-03-2008, 06:39 PM

Stated today that he would have to consider coming out if he was projected to go in the 1st round of the draft (which he will). Adjust your mocks accordingly.

I think he's the 2nd best tackle after Andre Smith. Reminds me a lot of Ryan Clady in that he's very athletic and more of a pass blocker than a run blocker. That doesn't mean he's a weak run blocker though. I think a team like Houston would have to take a real strong look at Britton if he's available.

draftguru151
12-03-2008, 07:30 PM
The lack of Jason Fox here is disturbing, especially with Sam Young getting mentioned. Fox still has some stuff to work on technique wise and more strength certainly wouldn't hurt but he has LT potential. I'd have Smith, Okung and Britton above him but he's right there with Ulatoski.

SuperKevin
12-03-2008, 07:31 PM
The lack of Jason Fox here is disturbing, especially with Sam Young getting mentioned. Fox still has some stuff to work on technique wise and more strength certainly wouldn't hurt but has LT potential. I'd have Smith, Okung and Britton above him but he's right there with Ulatoski.

I forgot about Fox. He'd slide into my top 5 easily.

Babylon
12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
The lack of Jason Fox here is disturbing, especially with Sam Young getting mentioned. Fox still has some stuff to work on technique wise and more strength certainly wouldn't hurt but he has LT potential. I'd have Smith, Okung and Britton above him but he's right there with Ulatoski.

Any mention about him leaving?

draftguru151
12-03-2008, 07:42 PM
None at all, Shannon said no one is leaving early a few days ago.

Ozzy
12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Kyle Calloway Iowa
Charles Brown USC
John Jerry Ole Miss
Jarriel King South Carolina
Trent Williams Oklahoma
Chris Scott Tennessee
Calvin Wilson Southern Miss
Desmond Taylor Northwestern
Steve Schilling Michigan

Here are a few others that have not been mentioned, Calloway has a lot of promise and Trent Williams should really get a chance to shine next year finally. And Jerry should be a monster next year as well and Brown is extremely athletic and powerful.

Texas Homer
12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Scott, thank you for telling me about OT Trent Williams for ou. I am watching him tonight vs. Missouri and he looks like a mauler in the run game. I dislike ou, but he looks pretty good. I also think they have a transfer from LSU OT Jarvis Jones coming in next season that I think will be a stud as well.

Babylon
12-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Took in quite a bit of the ASU vs Arizona game and Britton looked very good. Right now i'd put him more in the Joe Staley category than the Joe Thomas category but i think there is room for improvement.

giantsfan
12-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Meh, Britton's already proven himself to be able to excelling against elite competition that Staley just never had to face. That and he's on another level as a pass blocker in my opinion. Does that put him in the joe thomas category, no, but it does put him in the middle of round one if not higher.

Babylon
12-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Meh, Britton's already proven himself to be able to excelling against elite competition that Staley just never had to face. That and he's on another level as a pass blocker in my opinion. Does that put him in the joe thomas category, no, but it does put him in the middle of round one if not higher.

I agree, i actually think Joe Staley is a good football player by the way.

Larry121283
12-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Not too high on Eben Britton. I think he could use another year. I'm a bit higher on Russell Okung. Also, good call by Trent Williams by Scott, he is very athletic and could be a major factor next year as he'll flop over to left tackle when Loadholt goes to the NFL.