PDA

View Full Version : Week 13 Breakdown

BlindSite
11-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Though I endeavour to include all top performances and as many great plays and players each and every week, time and space means that there will be a few I miss. This is no reflection on the team or me as a fan or writer, in some cases itís just unlucky they're not included. Enjoy.

Break out Performer
John Carlson of the Seattle Seahawks had his first career one hundred yard day against the Cowboys on thanksgiving. Drafted out of Notre Dame due to his large frame at 6-5 250, and pedigree, heís provided the Seahawks a reliable offensive option during a year of relative turmoil. With the Seahawks battling injuries at various points of the year Carlson has been one of the few dependable targets and although the Seahawks managed a pedestrian nine points while they were thrashed by the Seahawks during a game in which Hasselbeck was sacked seven times and the Seahawks totalled just over 322 all purpose yards.

For a rookie to be providing almost a third of his teamís offensive production is a big success for such an unheralded pick under such trying circumstances.

Coaching Comments
Mike Shanahan has to find a way to keep the Denver Broncos playing at a high level and avoid the poor showings against weak opponents. The Broncos in recent weeks have defeated the Browns, the Atlanta Falcons and the New York Jets two of the three teams during those victories are playoff contenders. That being said, in alternate games theyíve lost to Oakland and Miami in resounding fashion. Clearly a big part of the teamís success falls on the shoulders of the defence which has struggled to prevent opposing offense from recording points. Until this week where the defences return of a forced fumble for 6 and interception of Brett Favre helped the Broncos build an insurmountable lead.

Shanahan is a master coach and it seems as always his game plans are generally boom or bust and in the coming weeks should show just how good this team is. They face Kansas City this week, a team who in their last meeting took the Broncos to task in a 33 to 19 point victory. The following week they head to Carolina facing a Panthers team that due to the toughness of the NFC South is fighting for a playoff spot week in and week out.

Shanahan figures to be safe in his job, but in a wide open AFC itíll be interesting to see if heís up to challenge of coaching a very weak defensive team to the playoffs.

QB Watch
A week after being benched in a tough loss McNabb has rebounded with a truly dominant performance against a very tough Arizona. McNabb tossed for four touchdowns and had 280 yards of total offense in Philadelphia dismantling of the NFC West leaders. The Arizona defence had no answer for the Eagleís passing game and it was due to McNabb who accuracy and ability to elude the Cardinal Pass rush made it clear that heís nowhere near finished as a quarterback in the NFL.

Homer Corner
A truly wonderful performance from DeAngelo Williams who did everything he had to in order for the Panthers to snatch victory away from the Greenbay Packers. The Packersí who were fighting for their playoff lives gave the Panthers defence all they could handle on the ground and in the air.

The biggest thing that can be taken from the game is this, in recent weeks the Panthers have had huge problems with their redzone defence, this week they stopped the Packers three out of five times, including some huge stops right on their own goal line.

Secondly, the offense has been stagnant and downright pathetic in recent weeks, especially in the fourth quarter. This week the team managed to put up twenty-one points in the first half, 18 points more than they managed last week. To say the least it appears Fox has the team which was going slightly stale playing a strong, tough brand of football, exactly whatís needed heading into two tough home games against Division leaders Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the resurgent Denver Broncos.

Other Stuff
Does anyone else doubt Arizonaís ability in the playoffs? Arizona have had some excellent shootouts and are great fun to watch as their high flying offense rarely disappoints. But, on three occasions, against the Eagles, Jets and Carolina theyíve been beaten because their defence canít tackle and their offense will make costly errors when under pressure. In two games (jets, Eagles) Warner has turned over the ball 9 times. Against the Giants, Washington and Carolina their defence let them down allowing far too many points.

Arizona is a great story and itís nice to see Warner playing so well for a player of his advanced years, but I honestly canít see them beating New York, Carolina, Tampa, Atlanta, Washington, Philly, Dallas, Chicago or in the AFC Pittsburgh, New England or Tennessee. That would place them on a head to head ranking around 11th or 12th in the NFL. Though they deserve a shot in the playoffs and Iíll agree, if they get hot could knock out some heavy weights, but theyíre not a top tier team in the NFL, despite their record and are not legit super bowl contenders.

Their defence doesnít tackle well enough, their third down defence lacks the pass rush and coverage downfield to be successful and their running game is still nowhere near good enough in any facet (32nd overall). On paper their defence may look strong (10th in yards) itís pretty weak in practice (27th in points). Itís nice to see them as a contender, but I highly doubt that is the case.

keylime_5
11-30-2008, 09:16 PM
It's nice to have a division with San Fran, Seattle, and St.Louis. All will likely pick in the top 8 in the draft. Arizona is really 7 or 8 wins good this year, but they'll win 10 or 11 instead.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Arizona is basically a worse version of New Orleans playing in a much easier division

ShutDwn
11-30-2008, 10:16 PM
I think Steve Smith (two great grabs), Mark Jones(huge returns) and Travelle Wharton (huge blocks, recovered fumble) had more impact than DeAngelo. Yes he had a nice run, but all four of his TDs came from the 1 yard line, even Jake Delhomme's run came from the one.

GB12
11-30-2008, 10:51 PM
A truly wonderful performance from DeAngelo Williams who did everything he had to in order for the Panthers to snatch victory away from the Greenbay Packers.
And what's that? 3.4 ypc? His stats look good because he had 4 TDs, but they were all 1 yard scores. Other than breaking a 27 yarder he didn't do ****.

If you're going to single out a Panthers player it should have been Peppers followed by Smith.

BlindSite
11-30-2008, 11:16 PM
I could've singled out Charles Johnson, Jon Beason, Peppers, mark Jones or Keydrick Vincent as well.

I sees 'em how I sees 'em. I thought he played well today and did well to get his 4.

Vox Populi
11-30-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't think frame and pedigree are what got Carlson drafted in the 2nd round...

tjsunstein
11-30-2008, 11:36 PM
I could've singled out Charles Johnson, Jon Beason, Peppers, mark Jones or Keydrick Vincent as well.

I sees 'em how I sees 'em. I thought he played well today and did well to get his 4.

Or Wharton.

fenikz
11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
no one mentions that Adrian Wilson and Rod Hood were both hurt vs Philly, just swing with the east coast bias and say McNabb was great

SchizophrenicBatman
11-30-2008, 11:59 PM
And what's that? 3.4 ypc? His stats look good because he had 4 TDs, but they were all 1 yard scores. Other than breaking a 27 yarder he didn't do ****.

If you're going to single out a Panthers player it should have been Peppers followed by Smith.

Yea...and those 4 TDs of 1 yard sure didnt hurt that YPC at all...

He had 5 rushes at the 1 yard line so take that out of his 21 for 72 and he's at 16 for 68, a 4.25 ypc

He's got the highest YPC of any back with >100 carries who doesn't run behind the Giants or Vikings OLine. Give me a break. Was he one of the main reasons Carolina won that game? Maybe not, but youre talking to a fan of a team that had DeShaun Foster for 6 years. I will never undervalue the ability to punch in a TD, even if it's a the 1 inch line. There's no such thing as vulturing a TD in the NFL

Menardo75
12-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Good stuff man especially the last section. An above average team in a weak division nothing more. If anything if Warner is not the starter they might not even be in first. Uh Oh here comes Fenikz with the neg rep.

BlindSite
12-01-2008, 12:37 AM
I don't think frame and pedigree are what got Carlson drafted in the 2nd round...

You do realise he's built exactly how you want a TE in the west coast system? You're insane if you think his frame had no impact, or that fact that he played under a HC who was known for developing TEs at the pro leve

no one mentions that Adrian Wilson and Rod Hood were both hurt vs Philly, just swing with the east coast bias and say McNabb was great
The running defense was clearly affected too eh

SenorGato
12-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Carlson wasn't drafted because he's a perfect WCO TE. His frame...yea...but also his athleticism, pass catching ability, and run blocking potential/ability.

Can Jay Cutler be called legit now? I have no idea why people continue to argue about whether this guy is a legit QB. He's got the same kind of skillset and "moxy" or w/e that all the greats had.

Aaron Rogers is good. The Packers injured D isn't.

Miami really is annoying. The fact that we have to go to the WC twice before we play them worries me.

Nice to see Peppers comeback seaso coinciding with a Panthers D comeback season.

Flacco and Ryan...I like Ryan more, but the Ravens with an offense...

I feel bad for Drew Brees.

LOL @ Buffalo.

Adrian Peterson is a god.

TB's D is back. Gaines Adams is going to be a name.

Arizona can and will surprise anyone.

I'm happy as heck that the media will stop slobbering over the Jets. Totally unnecessary and unwarranted. We hadn't even done anything but had a couple nice wins.

BlindSite
12-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Carlson wasn't drafted because he's a perfect WCO TE. His frame...yea...but also his athleticism, pass catching ability, and run blocking potential/ability.

Does it really matter the exact reason why he was drafted? He's playing well and that's the main point of the entry.

Nice to see Peppers comeback seaso coinciding with a Panthers D comeback season.

Comeback player of the year candidate if they decide to give it out for former suckiness.

Arizona can and will surprise anyone.

Based on what? The fact that they've only really beaten the Cowboys who played awfully. The Cards wouldn't beat anyone other than new Orleans in the NFC South. They're not that good of a team.

SaintsMan
12-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Arizona is basically a worse version of New Orleans playing in a much easier division

Both Offenses are about the same. On Defense, Arizona is much, much better.

giantsfan
12-01-2008, 10:11 AM
To be fair the cards D only gave up one long drive to us, but we had great field position due to turnovers and Hixon almost breaking two kickoff returns.

I still like them in the playoffs, especially at home. Their oline isn't good enough at run blocking yet, but they had games where the cleared out a lot of lanes for Hightower.

sbh15
12-01-2008, 11:43 AM

The 3.4 ypc argument is ridiculous. 4 carries for 4 yards went for 4 touchdowns. Take away the four carries and four yards and he averages exactly 4 ypc. He actually had a 5th carry on the goalline where it looked like he was in, but the Panthers didn't challenge. Though I agree that Williams wasn't outstanding, he earned the four touchdowns.

bigbluedefense
12-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Arizona at home = Very very good and tough to beat.

Arizona on the road, in particular on the east coast = not very good.

Thats pretty much the Cardinals. They host a playoff game, and I like their chances against anyone in the NFC at home. But on the road, theyre not the same team. Esp in cold weather environments.

That defense isn't great, but its scrappy. I like the toughness they play with. Dockett, Dansby, DRC, they have some scrappy guys.

SenorGato
12-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Does it really matter the exact reason why he was drafted? He's playing well and that's the main point of the entry.

That was my point. He was just a good TE. Not some guy who fit the WCO or anything specific. TE's with his talent can fit in all systems.

Based on what? The fact that they've only really beaten the Cowboys who played awfully. The Cards wouldn't beat anyone other than new Orleans in the NFC South. They're not that good of a team.

Eh, I just said it. Not like it's crazy...they're still a really good offensive team with a talented D that hasn't clicked yet. A D with players like Wilson, Dansby, Rolle, Dockett, Watson, Hayes has the potential to step up. You never know with the NFL...and in the playoffs you only have to beat a team once to move on.

BlindSite
12-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I see where you're coming from, like a puncher in boxing a high flying offense will always have its chance.

ShutDwn
12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
The 3.4 ypc argument is ridiculous. 4 carries for 4 yards went for 4 touchdowns. Take away the four carries and four yards and he averages exactly 4 ypc. He actually had a 5th carry on the goalline where it looked like he was in, but the Panthers didn't challenge. Though I agree that Williams wasn't outstanding, he earned the four touchdowns.

DeAngelo would have also finished the run that Stewart cramped up on.

The Packers sold out to stop the run in the second half, and Steve Smith made two sensational (almost identical) plays.