PDA

View Full Version : Non 1st round RB's

BuckDawg23
11-30-2008, 10:34 PM
You see it every year, RB's drafted in the 2nd round and beyond producing BIG in the NFL...Matt Forte looks to be the best of the RB class this year and he was a 2nd rounder, guys like Maurice Jones-Drew, Marion Barber, Brandon Jacbos, Michael Turner, Brian Westbrook all guys drafted outside the 1st round and all those guys are near the top of the league..

So I ask you which RB's in this class look to go outside the 1st round and have a chance of having a Forte like rookie season or a Marion Barber type career?

sbh15
11-30-2008, 10:37 PM
I would say Shonn Greene is a name you might bring up. Strong runner, productive, and has good size (5' 11", 235 lbs.)

BuddyCHRIST
11-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I think James Davis will be a stud, does everything well and never put the numbers he should have due to the ineptitude of Tommy Bowden.

urinemonkey
11-30-2008, 10:39 PM
James Davis. He was once upon a time penciled into the 1st round by everybody, but his stock has fell from there because his production fell. Nonetheless, I would love for the Broncos to pick him up in round 2 or later.

Pokeys
11-30-2008, 10:42 PM
CJ Spiller is a Chris Johnson type RB and will probably go in the 2nd round. Few other names Jeremiah Johnson, Devin Moore, and Cedric Peerman.

Race for the Heisman
12-01-2008, 07:36 AM
CJ Spiller is a Chris Johnson type RB and will probably go in the 2nd round. Few other names Jeremiah Johnson, Devin Moore, and Cedric Peerman.

I ******* hate C.J. Spiller as a prospect. He's Reggie Bush without the same lateral ability and an even worse runner in general. I do not understand the love he gets. To me, the game most indicative of his ability in the pros was against Boston College. 8 carries, 55 yards, long of 57. To me that is C.J. Spiller in a nutshell, nevermind BC's defense. He also caught 6 passes for 105 yards, which is what he'll have to do to live up to his billing as a prospect considering where he figures to be selected.

As for the original topic, Stafon Johnson, should he declare. Ditto for Graig Cooper and DeMarco Murray. Jarvarris James probably won't go high but should give someone a decent back. Devin Moore (Wyoming) has great speed, could be a Sproles-ish. Tyrell Sutton and Arian Foster could be be very good third-down backs with an outside shot of being one of the guys in a platoon. Javon Ringer is the guy I see being to most Forte-like in the early running. Donald Brown (Connecticut) is another good one, should he decide to declare. Charles Scott is a bruiser and Andre Brown might be someone's late-round goal line back a la what Tony Hunt was supposed to be. That's a pretty wide range of the spectrum but there's a lot of guys to like beyond the first round, at least in my opinion.

rockio42
12-01-2008, 08:04 AM
I think Andre Brown, surprised he hasnt been mentioned already, is going to be a very good back in the NFL and will make a team who gets him in the 2nd or 3rd very very happy

DiG
12-01-2008, 08:05 AM
rashad jennings is the ish! he's a solid 230 lbs but has extremely quick feet considering his size. he is definitely more of a downhill runner but he cuts well and can get outside if he needs to. he is an absolute workhorse of a back that to me is the closest thing to forte in this years draft. don't be surprised to see him sneak into the end of rd 2 even with a good combine but i am hoping he falls to the skins in rd 3 to be honest.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-01-2008, 08:46 AM
I think Andre Brown, surprised he hasnt been mentioned already, is going to be a very good back in the NFL and will make a team who gets him in the 2nd or 3rd very very happy

He will be an NFL back. Great inside the tackles runner. A guy who I am calling a major sleeper is Javarris Williams. Also Cedric Peerman is a hard runner who has game breaking deceptive speed. A poor man's Michael Turner. He also has flawless character and is a preacher if that counts for anything.

LonghornsLegend
12-01-2008, 09:04 AM
I really like James Davis and Jermiah Johnson from Oregon...Both may end up 2nd round RB's when it's all said and done.

toddmlazarchick
12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
rashad jennings is the ish! he's a solid 230 lbs but has extremely quick feet considering his size. he is definitely more of a downhill runner but he cuts well and can get outside if he needs to. he is an absolute workhorse of a back that to me is the closest thing to forte in this years draft. don't be surprised to see him sneak into the end of rd 2 even with a good combine but i am hoping he falls to the skins in rd 3 to be honest.

He will be an NFL back. Great inside the tackles runner. A guy who I am calling a major sleeper is Javarris Williams. Also Cedric Peerman is a hard runner who has game breaking deceptive speed. A poor man's Michael Turner. He also has flawless character and is a preacher if that counts for anything.

I think our skins need a chris johnson type of RB so portis doesnt take a beating all day long and betts is not the answer. who do you guy want us to take and where?

Yatta!
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I think it will depend on which underclassmen declare but it could be a pretty deep RB draft again. The guy who really intrigues me is Devin Moore out of Wyoming, I don't think he'll be an every down back in the NFL but he could have a big impact.

DiG
12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
I think our skins need a chris johnson type of RB so portis doesnt take a beating all day long and betts is not the answer. who do you guy want us to take and where?

If you want to take the poundings off Portis, why would you draft a guy like Johnson? I mean I love Johnson but if I want to take away some of the beatings Portis takes then I want a bigger downhill style guy. Like I mentioned previously, I'd like that to be Rashad in the 3rd. I think he'd be the perfect compliment.

Race for the Heisman
12-01-2008, 10:53 AM

I actually did, he was just buried in that list of names. Also, I think guys like Ringer, Scott, maybe even James Davis, probably C.J. Spiller (much to me chagrin) all go higher than he does. I'm thinking fourth-sixth round steal. I think he has a bit of an injury history and he doesn't run that hard for a guy with his size.

ncst8fan83
12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I actually did, he was just buried in that list of names. Also, I think guys like Ringer, Scott, maybe even James Davis, probably C.J. Spiller (much to me chagrin) all go higher than he does. I'm thinking fourth-sixth round steal. I think he has a bit of an injury history and he doesn't run that hard for a guy with his size.

You haven't seen him run lately then. There was one run this past Saturday against Miami that he literally carried 6 or 7 tacklers another 5 yards after contact. It was awesome. His foot is finally healthy and he's been running like it lately. Here's a picture of the play:

http://diy.despair.com/output/poster41300880.jpg

SenorGato
12-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Nice to see Andre Brown love. I like him and James Davis alot.

princefielder28
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Devin Moore = next Leon Washington

Larry121283
12-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Rashad Jennings, Liberty
Marcus Thigpen, Indiana (more as a return man at first, but teams might want to get his speed in on offense)
Jeremiah Johnson, Oregon (if it weren't for injuries, he'd probably go a lot higher than the projected mid rounds he is looking at)

oregonbucfan
12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
I think JJ, seems like he would be a great compliment back

SchizophrenicBatman
12-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Andre's breakaway speed has been almost nonexistent since he came back from his foot injury. However, his power has been ridiculous this season. Whoever takes him in the late rounds will be very satisfied, especially if you mix him up with a speed guy. He's good in the passing game too, probably has the best hands on NC State (which says more about their WRs than Brown, but still)

SuperKevin
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Looks like everyone already beat me to James Davis. He does everything well. He runs with power and has enough breakaway speed to bust the long run.

themaninblack
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Ya I think James Davis may end up being the best RB out of this class. I really like him a lot.

LonghornsLegend
12-01-2008, 08:23 PM
If I can recall Scott had him ranked fairly high in his rankings of last years crop of guys before he decided he wanted to return so I believe he's pretty high on him also...I can see him going in the 2nd and being a lead back for some team ie Forte this past year.

toddmlazarchick
12-01-2008, 10:10 PM
If you want to take the poundings off Portis, why would you draft a guy like Johnson? I mean I love Johnson but if I want to take away some of the beatings Portis takes then I want a bigger downhill style guy. Like I mentioned previously, I'd like that to be Rashad in the 3rd. I think he'd be the perfect compliment.

I guess i didnt really mean taking poundings off of portis like you thought i meant. I meant we need a RB in the mold of either of them to compliment him. I like both of their skill sets enough that taking someone like them this year would prove very valuable. Can you tell me more about Rashad I dont know much about him.

ThePudge
12-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Just as a note, I would not touch Javon Ringer until the 3rd or 4th Round at the earliest. Here's a guy that is a cheeseburger above 200 pounds, around 5'9, and has some serious tread on his tires after a 400 carry season. A talented back who should find a place in the NFL, I just do not see him being a starter down the line. A late 3rd-mid 4th Round guy to me.

Shonn Greene is certainly interesting as a prospect after an amazing season. He has the size and a bit of explosiveness. I wouldn't count on him to be the future of my ground game, but I think he could do just fine in a two back system. I see him as a Late 2nd-Mid 3rd Round pick at this point.

James Davis has also shown flashes of NFL ability. He has plenty of experience in a fairly tough defensive conference and because of teammate C.J. Spiller, he really hasn't taken too much of a beating, while at the same time proving he is a high caliber college Running Back through the years. If he runs well, Davis could hear his name called toward the beginning of the 2nd (Cincinnati, Seattle). It is not an exact comparison by any stretch of the imagination, but he reminds me a bit of Frank Gore, another former ACC back. Right now that Late 2nd-Early 3rd Round range sounds about right. A lot could depend on the Senior Bowl and Combine for Davis.