PDA

View Full Version : My Week 13 Thought. (Just one)

bored of education
12-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Tony Gonzalez is STILL the best tight end in the game.

Anyone doubt that or question it...BRING IT ON!

Bruce Banner
12-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Cowboys fans in 3......2......1.......

bored of education
12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Cue The Boys!

vidae
12-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Go Tony G!

awfullyquiet
12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Cowboys fans in 3......2......1.......

Jason Witten isn't actually a tight end.

There. I said it.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
He definitely has as big a claim as anyone. I think Witten is the better blocker at the moment, but I don't think I've ever seen him play like I saw Gonzalez play yesterday in the pass game, and that was with Tyler Thigpen throwing the ball. It's rare that a tight end gets to match up with possibly the best cover man in the game, and when he did it was obvious that he was too big and quick for Asomugha to handle.

He played a great game.

bored of education
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Aso did a good job on Tony and had good position on him plenty of times, but was just over powered by Tony.

sbh15
12-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Mike Vrabel is the best tight end in the game! If he had 893 receptions like Gonzo, he would have 893 touchdowns!

I am absolutely not serious at all. Just so you know...

Gay Ork Wang
12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Mike Vrabel is unfair, he is basically invisible on Offense

Paranoidmoonduck
12-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Aso did a good job on Tony and had good position on him plenty of times, but was just over powered by Tony.

It really was a battle of positioning. Announcers annoyingly love to bring up Gonzalez's basketball history and toss around phrases like "box out" and "fighting for position", but the matchups between Gonzalez and Asomugha really were all about who could get the best positioning. It was fun to watch.

Sniper
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Jason Witten is still the best TE in the game.

Gay Ork Wang
12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Jason Witten is still the best TE in the game.
Gonzalez > Witten

Sniper
12-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Gonzalez > Witten

Absolutely not. Witten is the best all-around TE in the league, with Gonzalez a close second.

ChezPower4
12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I think that this season he has been. The only other guy you can make a case for is witten. Gonzo has been doing it this year with almost no help and Tyler Thigpen, TYLER THIGPEN! Every team that plays the Cheifs trys to shutdown Gonzo and none can do it. I will say that Witten is a much better blocker but the only reason that he's not #1 is because of the talent around him. Barber, TO, and Romo have a lot to do with how open he gets at times.

BeerBaron
12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I'll take Witten personally. I honestly think he may be the most underrated player in football.

Every Cowboys game I see has him making at least 4-5 clutch catches that tear out the heart of the other team. Always in the right spot......always down the field blocking.....if he were about a tenth of a second faster, he might be the the best receiving TE as well as being the best all around TE.

And this isn't even from a Cowboys homer.

umphrey
12-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Physically Gonzo has every defender on the field overmatched. If he always got a good pass he'd make the catch every time he ran a route until the defense started triple covering him.

Can't say the same about Witten, but he is equally valuable to his team. If I was putting together a team I'd rather have Witten (ignoring age, because then I wouldn't care about the old man)

ChezPower4
12-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I'll take Witten personally. I honestly think he may be the most underrated player in football.
Every Cowboys game I see has him making at least 4-5 clutch catches that tear out the heart of the other team. Always in the right spot......always down the field blocking.....if he were about a tenth of a second faster, he might be the the best receiving TE as well as being the best all around TE.

And this isn't even from a Cowboys homer.

How can you really think that? Anyone who follows football, even just a little bit knows what a great player Witten is. Even if they don't follow football that much, all they'd have to do is watch one sunday night game that Dallas is playing in and John Madden will fill them in.

BeerBaron
12-01-2008, 01:35 PM
How can you really think that? Anyone who follows football, even just a little bit knows what a great player Witten is. Even if they don't follow football that much, all they'd have to do is watch one sunday night game that Dallas is playing in and John Madden will fill them in.

Because when you sit down and think of the best players in the league, even if you go just by position, he seems to get left out for not being "flashy" enough or something stupid like that.

He and Heath Miller are in that same boat.....do exactly what they need to do in order for their teams to win. Catch, block, run short, run deep.....if they were a split second faster, they'd be recognized as the best they are.

Ask a casual fan you run into sometime about Witten or Miller. You'll probably get an answer about them being that "slow white guy" or something like that....and that saddens me.

Menardo75
12-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I just can't argue against a future HOF.

bored of education
12-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Tony at this age is on pace to have his best year of his career, and last year was arguably his 2nd best year of his career. That is quite amazing considering how terrible the Chiefs have been. Tony is also a very underrated blocker.

Right now I would take Tony and that is all homerism aside. No one is playing the TE position as a whole better than him. He is the most valuable player on his team. Awesome receiving option (the best in most categories this year, stats dont lie). A very good blocker. Never misses a game (only 2 in his career). Surrounding talent? We could discuss that but it can hurt and help any tight end.

The way I see it..because of Tony G..the Chiefs have won 2 games and have been compeitive in another 5 more. That is quite amazing for how atrocious the Chefs are.

Witten is an amazing tight end, but is he a product of the system? He is a great run blocker, solid receiving option. But does he get covered by S/LB and CBs and still prduce like Tony G? I dont know the answer hence me asking it.

MetSox17
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Tony at this age is on pace to have his best year of his career, and last year was arguably his 2nd best year of his career. That is quite amazing considering how terrible the Chiefs have been. Tony is also a very underrated blocker.

Right now I would take Tony and that is all homerism aside. No one is playing the TE position as a whole better than him. He is the most valuable player on his team. Awesome receiving option (the best in most categories this year, stats dont lie). A very good blocker. Never misses a game (only 2 in his career). Surrounding talent? We could discuss that but it can hurt and help any tight end.

The way I see it..because of Tony G..the Chiefs have won 2 games and have been compeitive in another 5 more. That is quite amazing for how atrocious the Chefs are.

Witten is an amazing tight end, but is he a product of the system? He is a great run blocker, solid receiving option. But does he get covered by S/LB and CBs and still prduce like Tony G? I dont know the answer hence me asking it.

Teams have pretty much given up on trying to cover Witten with a LB. Ask Brian Dawkins how good Witten is. He moves into the slot in our 3 WR set and can't be covered cause he's either too big or too fast. He is the best blocking TE in the league and catches pretty much anything thrown his way. I haven't watched a single Chiefs game this year, so i can't say who is better, but Witten is the best i have seen.

awfullyquiet
12-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Absolutely not. Witten is the best all-around TE in the league, with Gonzalez a close second.

If he's a close second. You can't say 'absolutely not'.

MetSox17
12-01-2008, 02:28 PM
If he's a close second. You can't say 'absolutely not'.

What if he's closer than #3 is to #1, but not close enough that you can say absolutely not?

vidae
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Not many on these boards have seen Chiefs games the last few years because, well, we've been horrible, but Tony Gonzalez is EXTREMELY underrated as a blocker.

People see the catches and the TDs and all of that but he is a very good blocker. Very tough, will take on anyone and never gives up.

I'm a Chiefs fan so there is a gigantic heap of homerism all over my post but I don't see anyone being as dominant at the position as he is right now.

Brent
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Gonzo has 73 receptions. That's ridiculous for such a bad team and lack of consistent QB play.

tjsunstein
12-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Kyle Brady.

/thread

CashmoneyDrew
12-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Tony Gonzalez is very good. I'll take Jason Witten though when it comes down to it.

steelernation77
12-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Gonzalez is the best receiving TE in the league. KC does not have much around him and he is every defense's #1 priority to stop, but he still gets open and makes great catches.

GB12
12-01-2008, 04:15 PM
You should have traded him to us.

Modano
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Hmm Witten had a great year with Testaverde at QB and no talent around him. The TE is usually the safety valve for a bad or inexperienced QB so you see good TEs producing even if a bad QB is throwing to them or they don't have a lot of talent around them.
You can also make the argument that with all the playmakers Dallas have Romo has to share the ball around more than Thigpen who has only Bowe and Gonzalez to throw the ball to.

giantsfan
12-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Witten's an exceptional TE one of the better blockers, right behind Shockey, Miller and I'm sure I"m forgetting some guys, amongst two-way TEs and a great receiver, but Gonzo is a very good blocker in his own right and just incredible as a receiver.

BeerBaron
12-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Witten's an exceptional TE one of the better blockers, right behind Shockey, Miller and I'm sure I"m forgetting some guys, amongst two-way TEs and a great receiver, but Gonzo is a very good blocker in his own right and just incredible as a receiver.

See, these are the reasons why I said Witten is underrated.....A mention of Shockey and no Witten?

Gimme Witten any day of the week....

captainjack27
12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Kyle Brady.

/thread

lol Kyle brady ftmfw

giantsfan
12-01-2008, 04:53 PM
See, these are the reasons why I said Witten is underrated.....A mention of Shockey and no Witten?

Gimme Witten any day of the week....

reading is FUNdamental. I said witten's not as good of a blocker as Shockey or Miller, which is true, but also said he's an exceptional TE and IMO the second best in the league behind Gonzo.

yourfavestoner
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Not many on these boards have seen Chiefs games the last few years because, well, we've been horrible, but Tony Gonzalez is EXTREMELY underrated as a blocker.

People see the catches and the TDs and all of that but he is a very good blocker. Very tough, will take on anyone and never gives up.

I'm a Chiefs fan so there is a gigantic heap of homerism all over my post but I don't see anyone being as dominant at the position as he is right now.

QFT. Most people don't know how good of a blocker Gonzo is because, well, they don't really watch a lot of Chiefs games. His run blocking is actually the most underrated aspect of his game. He's very good at it.

BeerBaron
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
reading is FUNdamental. I said witten's not as good of a blocker as Shockey or Miller, which is true, but also said he's an exceptional TE and IMO the second best in the league behind Gonzo.

Shockey and good blocker need not be in the same sentence....Shockey, outside of one year of his career, need not be in the same sentence as Witten.

giantsfan
12-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Shockey and good blocker need not be in the same sentence....Shockey, outside of one year of his career, need not be in the same sentence as Witten.

Ignorance is bliss huh. Shockey was a dominant blocker last season, and from what I've seen he's continuing to toss people around for the saints. When we were talking about trading him around last years draft the biggest concerns from giants fans was how would we replace his blocking as he was one of the biggest reasons we were so successful running the ball last season. If you don't believe me try and watch him against the boys last season where he stuffed DeMarcus Ware one on one. But please continue believing shockey is a poor blocker, doesn't really matter to me whether you know what you're talking about or not.

bored of education
12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Omg Cue The G-men Fans!

illmatic74
12-01-2008, 08:19 PM

And this isn't even from a Cowboys homer.That is like when my cousin a few weeks ago told me that the Giants had the most underated offensive line in football.

giantsfan
12-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Omg Cue The G-men Fans!

What, Gonzo's number 1 in my book with Witten a close and ever closing number 2. I was just pointing out some two way TEs that are better blockers than Witten b/c someone said that Witten was the best blocking TE in the league, which just isn't true despite the fact that he is a good blocker.

Hell Shockey isn't even on my team anymore and left in a messy manner, what loyalty do I still have to him?

bored of education
12-01-2008, 08:27 PM
I was being sarcastic. :)

giantsfan
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I was being sarcastic. :)

being sick has put me in a poor mood where my sarcasm-dar has suffered...please continue

scottyboy
12-01-2008, 08:38 PM
gonzo pisses me off because he scored 19 fantasy ponints for D yesterday :(

but he's still an animal. honestly, all teams have to cover are him and Bowe with a poopy OL and random QB's and they still put up numbers

kmartin575
12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
gonzo pisses me off because he scored 19 fantasy ponints for D yesterday :(

but he's still an animal. honestly, all teams have to cover are him and Bowe with a poopy OL and random QB's and they still put up numbers

Well Mark Bradley has actually been pretty good this past month or so as the #2 WR.

awfullyquiet
12-02-2008, 02:22 PM
QFT. Most people don't know how good of a blocker Gonzo is because, well, they don't really watch a lot of Chiefs games. His run blocking is actually the most underrated aspect of his game. He's very good at it.

truth.

IMO, gonzo is AS good of a blocker as witten is, and to play at the level that Witten does... on the chiefs? nuts.

he's basically in the andre johnson pool of obscurity right now. Aso was in that pool too.