PDA

View Full Version : London 2009 Game Announced

sbh15
12-01-2008, 12:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3737047

Pats @ Buccaneers. Assuming Brady is healthy, it should be real good.

UKfan
12-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I have to cheer for the Bucs that day, I can't cheer for the Pats.

Turtlepower
12-01-2008, 12:57 PM
It really does suck for the team that loses the home game...

ChezPower4
12-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Good match up, with Brady back should draw a lot of intrest across the pond.

Jvig43
12-01-2008, 01:22 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO, awe come on.

Menardo75
12-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Nice should be fun to watch.

FlyingElvis
12-01-2008, 02:33 PM
It's doubtful Brady will be back at the top of his game that soon. Hopefully by then the Pats D will be able to stop teams from scoring at will so they can keep it close.

bigbluedefense
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
It's doubtful Brady will be back at the top of his game that soon. Hopefully by then the Pats D will be able to stop teams from scoring at will so they can keep it close.

Theyre playing the Bucs.

Theyll be alright.

UKfan
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
*goes out to buy a.. ummm.... Barrett Ruud jersey, Ruud!*

tjsunstein
12-01-2008, 03:23 PM
As long as GB doesnt lose the home game than I'm OK with it.

Brent
12-01-2008, 03:24 PM
As long as GB doesnt lose the home game than I'm OK with it.
They should count it as an away game for both teams.

FlyingElvis
12-01-2008, 03:34 PM
That is a good idea, though I'm not sure it's mathematically possible. I'm trying to figure out if it would work by manipulating the bye weeks of other teams, but there are 512 games per year and half of them need to be home games. :confused:

Great, now you've given me a headache.

tjsunstein
12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
That is a good idea, though I'm not sure it's mathematically possible. I'm trying to figure out if it would work by manipulating the bye weeks of other teams, but there are 512 games per year and half of them need to be home games. :confused:

Great, now you've given me a headache.

I thought about it too and I don't think it's possible.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
They should count it as an away game for both teams.

It doesn't matter how they count it, some team will lose a game that otherwise would have been one of their eight home games. If they changed that it would throw the whole thing out of wack.

Ideally, I think the NFL should just add another regular season game and have each team play one game outside the country (for a total of 16 foreign games).

TimD
12-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I have to cheer for the Bucs that day, I can't cheer for the Pats.

london will be cheering for the bucs. their owner is also man u's.

UKfan
12-01-2008, 03:44 PM

I hate Man U as well though, it's tough lol.

CashmoneyDrew
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
That's gonna be a bad looking game come next year I believe.

FlyingElvis
12-01-2008, 03:48 PM
^ Me too. Garcia in his twilight years vs. Brady in his "still not back into playing shape" year . . .

By October 09 we'll be looking at the schedule laughing at how crappy a game the UK has to watch.

UKfan
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey, we had the Dolphins in their 1-15 year... I'll take this!

UK_Cheesehead
12-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm just glad the Pats are there, I'm playing wide out/tight end for my team now so just the chance to see the likes of Randy Moss/Wes Welker play live would be awesome, but like ukfan said, I saw the 1-15 fins play the Giants in a crappy muddy game, I'll take this all day long.

zCaddyz
12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
We suck on the west cost i hate to what we look like in london.

Bruce Banner
12-01-2008, 07:38 PM

The Bucs better capitalize on this opportunity.

Mr. Stiller
12-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Getting more and more Closer to the IFL

Yatta!
12-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm excited, the prospect of the Pats is intriguing. If that offense gets anywhere near the levels they were at before Brady's injury then it'll capture the imagination of fans over here.

And if anything the Bucs will lose support because of Man United being owned by the Glazers. As UK said United are probably the most hated soccer club and Glazer is not popular even amongst United fans. Yes we have had success under him and he has provided funds when needed but it was still basically a hostile takeover and we now have a lot of debt whereas we did not before. And yes as you can tell I support United.

Bruce Banner
12-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm excited, the prospect of the Pats is intriguing. If that offense gets anywhere near the levels they were at before Brady's injury then it'll capture the imagination of fans over here.

And if anything the Bucs will lose support because of Man United being owned by the Glazers. As UK said United are probably the most hated soccer club and Glazer is not popular even amongst United fans. Yes we have had success under him and he has provided funds when needed but it was still basically a hostile takeover and we now have a lot of debt whereas we did not before. And yes as you can tell I support United.

I have heard that Man U is both the most hated and most supported football club in england.

That's probably wrong though.

Zyro_1014
12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
this game is going to be UGLY

Turtlepower
12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
I have heard that Man U is both the most hated and most supported football club in england.

If I'm not mistaken, Man U is the Yankees of the English Premier League. The Steinbrenners even own a portion of the team. =D

Yatta!
12-01-2008, 07:53 PM

I'd say that's a fair assessment. We probably have the largest fanbase but it seems that fans of every other team hate United because of our success (especially in recent years) but I suppose thats the same for all sports. I suppose it's comparable to the support/hatred of the Yankees or Red Sox.

Bruce Banner
12-01-2008, 07:54 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Man U is the Yankees of the English Premier League. The Steinbrenners even own a portion of the team. =D

Man U FTW!

http://manchesterunited.y2u.co.uk/Cristiano_Ronaldo_Football_Hero.jpg

I hate this douche btw.

gameplaya2435
12-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah, that was a dumb assumption to make. First off, not all Londoners support Man U (Chelsea anyone?!). Secondly, from what I can gather a large portion of the fans ******* hate Glazer (he's a Yankee! and is in it for money not love of football [the real football]).

Bruce Banner
12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, that was a dumb assumption to make. First off, not all Londoners support Man U (Chelsea anyone?!). Secondly, from what I can gather a large portion of the fans ******* hate Glazer (he's a Yankee! and is in it for money not love of football [the real football]).

what the hell is this garbage?

gameplaya2435
12-01-2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.gfdb.com/images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Csteven-gerrard.jpg > http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44606000/jpg/_44606175_ronaldo_sporting_lisbon.jpg

giantsfan
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
*goes out to buy a.. ummm.... Barrett Ruud jersey, Ruud!*

Just remember he's not horseface but a different Ruud.

giantsfan
12-01-2008, 08:06 PM

What about Chelsea? With Abramovich there they've been spending like crazy.

dbtb135
12-02-2008, 04:57 AM
^ Me too. Garcia in his twilight years vs. Brady in his "still not back into playing shape" year . . .

By October 09 we'll be looking at the schedule laughing at how crappy a game the UK has to watch.

There's a very, very high chance that Garcia won't be the QB next year. And Brady hasn't even seen the practice field, much less pre-season or the regular season yet. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off almost a year ahead of time.....

UK_Cheesehead
12-02-2008, 06:34 AM

Yeah I would say that's correct. Liverpool are close but United have been the biggest club in England and the most successful in last few decades so will acquire more fans.

I'm not sure whether the Glazer thing comes into it though, I mean it could, but I don't think it'll make drastic differences to who people support.

And your right about Ronaldo, the guy is a ******* tosser.

FlyingElvis
12-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey, we had the Dolphins in their 1-15 year... I'll take this!

I'm just glad the Pats are there, I'm playing wide out/tight end for my team now so just the chance to see the likes of Randy Moss/Wes Welker play live would be awesome, but like ukfan said, I saw the 1-15 fins play the Giants in a crappy muddy game, I'll take this all day long.
Right, right. I guess anything is a step up from the Miami game. This year's game will be hard to top, though. SD vs. NO was a wild one and must have been a great game to see.

There's a very, very high chance that Garcia won't be the QB next year. And Brady hasn't even seen the practice field, much less pre-season or the regular season yet. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off almost a year ahead of time.....
Unless Gruden finds a young stud QB to handle his verbage heavy offense it will be Garcia or someone less effective. Brady will be slow to return just like every other QB coming off knee surgery - like McNabb & Palmer. I'm not writing him off, just being realistic.

etk
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM

Griese?

Oh god.....

dbtb135
12-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Unless Gruden finds a young stud QB to handle is verbage heavy offense it will be Garcia or someone less effective.

Why someone less effective? Probably because it just coincidentally supports your side. There's not a whole lot of guys playing right now that are less effective around the league. Garcia is playing terrible right now. To say that, not knowing who we'll have at QB next year, they'll either not be able to digest the playbook or be EVEN WORSE than Garcia must require a crystal ball of sorts......

And everyone from Garcia to Brad Johnson to Luke McCown to Gradkowski in his rookie year have handled his "verbage-heavy" offense. The only one who had trouble with it was Chris Simms, who really, had trouble with a lot of things.....

Brady will be slow to return just like every other QB coming off knee surgery - like McNabb & Palmer. I'm not writing him off, just being realistic.

The rehab process is different for everyone. Some guys are back to being effective sooner, some later. I know there is a decent chance that it will affect him, but this early in the process, I think it's short-sighted to say he's going to be playing at a low level at this time next year. With his quick release and accuracy, and the offense he plays in. I think it's very likely that he'll be one of the better QBs in the NFL, even next year. And I really don't like the guy.

Etk, Griese is 2nd string next year in all likelihood. Probably closer to 3rd string than starting next season.

d34ng3l021
12-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Sweet. The Bucs lose a home game.

PackerLegend
12-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I really wouldn't want the Packers to play overseas, especially if its counted as our home game.

Bucs vs Pats doesn't seem all that interesting to me.

Bigburt63
12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
as long as the pats dont lose a home game im fine with wherever they play. plus it'll be interesting to see if the hatred of the pats has extended to england ;)

FlyingElvis
12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Why someone less effective? Probably because it just coincidentally supports your side. There's not a whole lot of guys playing right now that are less effective around the league. Garcia is playing terrible right now. To say that, not knowing who we'll have at QB next year, they'll either not be able to digest the playbook or be EVEN WORSE than Garcia must require a crystal ball of sorts......

And everyone from Garcia to Brad Johnson to Luke McCown to Gradkowski in his rookie year have handled his "verbage-heavy" offense. The only one who had trouble with it was Chris Simms, who really, had trouble with a lot of things.....

The rehab process is different for everyone. Some guys are back to being effective sooner, some later. I know there is a decent chance that it will affect him, but this early in the process, I think it's short-sighted to say he's going to be playing at a low level at this time next year. With his quick release and accuracy, and the offense he plays in. I think it's very likely that he'll be one of the better QBs in the NFL, even next year. And I really don't like the guy.

Wow. Seriously? You call me out for stating my opinion and refute that opinion as wrong and only existing "to support [my] side" and then proceed to use Luke McCown and Gradkowski as your "evidence" that I'm wrong???? That's brilliant.

Maybe we should not discuss it at all until it happens, that way we can deal with facts only, none of these crazy opinions. My bad. :rolleyes:

Garcia has lead the Bucs to 4 straight wins with only one INT, has better numbers than Griese in all categories (comp%, TD:INT, yards, yards per attempt (http://www.buccaneers.com/team/statistics.aspx?year=2008).) To me, that is enough to illustrate the effectiveness of Garcia. And, in case you missed them, there have been several programs that all discuss the difficulty QBs face when learning Gruden's system. They all struggle some initially. IMO, that makes it a very fair assumption that Garcia with 2+ years in Gruden's system on Oct. 25, 2009, would be more effective than any new QB with ~ 3 months experience or even any of the current QBs who thus far have not been able to supplant Garcia in the starting role.

Same goes for the injury recovery. My opinion is that, like all big name QBs over the last few years, Brady will be slow to get back to 100% and his play will suffer some. It's opinion based on recent FACTS. No more or less right than yours, and certainly not WRONG, unless you have a crystal ball. In which case, please PM me tonight's powerball numbers so I can win some loot.

dbtb135
12-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Wow. Seriously? You call me out for stating my opinion and refute that opinion as wrong

I'm saying I don't think you can write them off. I've got not problem with saying Brady could have lingering problems or something, but it's not a foregone conclusion this far away from the game....

and only existing "to support [my] side" and then proceed to use Luke McCown and Gradkowski as your "evidence" that I'm wrong???? That's brilliant.

Ummm, you're saying guys can't grasp his play book, yet Grads did it as a 6th round rookie. He had it down before the end of pre-season. Doesn't seem to be the huge problem you make it out to be, and how is that NOT evidence?

Maybe we should not discuss it at all until it happens, that way we can deal with facts only, none of these crazy opinions. My bad. :rolleyes:

My original point was that I wouldn't be so quick to write off Brady this far ahead of time, as in MY opinion. Genius. Also, that Garcia is in all likelihood not going to be our QB next year. He's not signed, he's very close to retirement, and he hasn't been playing great. Doesn't bode well for him.

Garcia has lead the Bucs to 4 straight wins with only one INT, has better numbers than Griese in all categories (comp%, TD:INT, yards, yards per attempt (http://www.buccaneers.com/team/statistics.aspx?year=2008).) To me, that is enough to illustrate the effectiveness of Garcia.

Our current red zone problems can be attributed to mainly Garcia. Ask anyone who follows the team, as opposed to looking at the TEAM'S W/L record. For the record, Griese was 3-1 also despite playing like garbage for a lot of it. Garcia doesn't throw INTs, but that just means that he doesn't make many mistakes. He never has, really. That doesn't mean he's still effective. Effective QBs produce consistent drives, don't scramble needlessly when there's no pass rush, and convert in the red zone with open targets. Did you see the Saints game? He was solid when he came back, but he's been much, much more inconsistent than he was last year, and he's currently in a slump.

And as mentioned already, Griese has been god-awful. Garcia has been better, but thats not saying much. Ask Bears fans how great Griese is, or even going back to his Dolphins or Broncos days. I'm sure there's plenty of bashing for that guy's play to go around.

And, in case you missed them, there have been several programs that all discuss the difficulty QBs face when learning Gruden's system. They all struggle some initially.

Garcia had no problem with it from the time he came in. Griese didn't either. Brad Johnson didn't either. Grads didn't either. Simms, however, did. Just because HIS problems were highly publicized, doesn't mean everyone has had a major problem with it.

There is literally absolutely nothing to back up the claim that they "all struggle initially".

IMO, that makes it a very fair assumption that Garcia with 2+ years in Gruden's system on Oct. 25, 2009, would be more effective than any new QB with ~ 3 months experience or even any of the current QBs who thus far have not been able to supplant Garcia in the starting role.

Luke McCown was more effective in his playing time, but less efficient. He moved the ball a lot easier than Garcia does 9 times out of 10 though. Who knows with Josh Johnson next year? There's been a lot of Donovan McNabb and Matt Cassel talk too. There's a few other names out there that could be in the mix.

Also, experience is one thing, but they start going through the playbook in OTAs. If your point is about digesting the playbook and verbage, it wouldn't be 3 months in October.

Same goes for the injury recovery. My opinion is that, like all big name QBs over the last few years, Brady will be slow to get back to 100% and his play will suffer some. It's opinion based on recent FACTS. No more or less right than yours, and certainly not WRONG, unless you have a crystal ball. In which case, please PM me tonight's powerball numbers so I can win some loot.

So with statements like "I wouldn't be so quick to write him off", "I know there is a decent chance it will affect him", and "I think it's very likely", I'm calling your opinion WRONG and I have the crystal ball? As opposed to "Brady will be slow to return" and "Unless Gruden finds a young stud QB to handle his verbage heavy offense(which I doubt you presented like a very realistic option) it will be Garcia or someone less effective."

I never said your opinion was wrong. Jeez, you're more defensive than Ryan Leaf. You have clearly spoken in more definite terms than I, but want to make it out as the opposite? Thats a stretch there, chief.

I still think it's mind-boggling that you don't know who it might be next year, but you're positive it will be someone less effective. Thats so logical...

Caddy
12-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Cool. I think the Bucs playing in London will be great. Maybe in 2010 the Bucs can play in Sydney. :D

FlyingElvis
12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
You have clearly spoken in more definite terms than I, but want to make it out as the opposite? Thats a stretch there, chief.

Oh, I see it now. It's a semantics issue. The timeframe wasn't enough to make it an obvious opinion despite the wording.

Or, maybe I was more tired and cranky than I realized yesterday. ;)

Sveen
12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Could be a good matchup :)

boknows34
12-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Really looking forward again to this. Been to the first two games at Wembley and will continue to support the International Series for as long as the NFL sends teams to London.

I think we'll eventually see a 17th game added to the schedule with the extra game being played abroad (Canada, Mexico, Japan, China, UK and Germany).

The NFL knows they simply can't get any bigger in the USA. That leaves the international markets if they want to expand and increase its profile and revenues.