PDA

View Full Version : Underrated pass rushers

jetsfan0099
12-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Who do you guys see as underrated pass rushers that will be in the draft?? Anyone that I should look for? Seeing as the Jets need a pass rusher pretty badly. Vernon Gholston is making me more mad every week, I doubt he ever becomes the pass rusher he was thought to be.
So is there any pass rushers that won't go round 1 but could be big time rushers in the NFL???

CashmoneyDrew
12-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I think Robert Ayers is a pretty good mid-round prospect that IMO will be much better than Parys Haralson in the pros.

Brent
12-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Parys Haralson
And he's been playing really well this year.

Babylon
12-01-2008, 04:59 PM
I think Robert Ayers is a pretty good mid-round prospect that IMO will be much better than Parys Haralson in the pros.

I keep wanting to call him William Ayers (domestic terrorist;) ;) ). He impressed the hell out of me against Georgia.

As for the Jets, i wouldnt give up on Gholston, people knew he was a little raw and needed time. As for a pass rusher you could get after the 1st round Michael Johnson might be someone that could turn out to be better than he's shown. And no i don't think he'll go in round 1.

SuperKevin
12-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Phillip Hunt the DE out of Houston is a pass rushing monster. He's a little undersized but I think he stays at DE because he has enough strength and moves to stick on the line.

Menardo75
12-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Clay Matthews possibly.

princefielder28
12-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Larry English

Mr. Stiller
12-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Larry English

SHHH!!

Larry English is a monster.

Slade Norris looks to had 3-4 OLB Capabilities as well.

draftguru151
12-01-2008, 05:55 PM

He looked really good against Andre Smith. Gave him problems all game.

Haven't seen a lot of Oregon but Nick Reed always impresses me.

Turtlepower
12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
For Juniors who probably won't declare, Dexter Davis from ASU is the heart and soul of that defense.

Zyro_1014
12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Clay Matthews possibly.

Gonna be a great player for whoever picks him up.

Babylon
12-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Gonna be a great player for whoever picks him up.

Kyle moore has his moments too if he can keep from getting dumb penalties.

Menardo75
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Mike T. Williams from Boise State.

themaninblack
12-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Robert Ayers was definitely impressive when I got to see him. Another guy to look out for that most seem to be aware of is Connor Barwin from Cincinnati. A converted TE and former UC Basketball player, Barwin is a fantastic athlete who could be a nice project if put in the right situation. A team like New England or Pittsburgh could probably do wonders with him.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Corey Wooton is more of a left end style defensive end, but he could be one of the bigger risers if he leaves school early. He doesn't get much press, but that's more due to Northwestern than his ability.

Mr. Stiller
12-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Robert Ayers was definitely impressive when I got to see him. Another guy to look out for that most seem to be aware of is Connor Barwin from Cincinnati. A converted TE and former UC Basketball player, Barwin is a fantastic athlete who could be a nice project if put in the right situation. A team like New England or Pittsburgh could probably do wonders with him.

Barwin and English are the 2 guys I'm hoping Pitt looks at to draft. We have 2 backup LB's right now... only 1 ready to work in a rotation.. we need to draft an ILB and OLB so we can start Timmons fulltime and use the other guys in rotation..

I like Barwins Superior athleticism/coverage ability, but I like English's motor and he's raw power a bit more.

Geo
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Doesn't Pitt have Bruce Davis? He was a great pass rusher at UCLA.

Mr. Stiller
12-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Doesn't Pitt have Bruce Davis? He was a great pass rusher at UCLA.

We have Davis... But Davis was struggling to beat UDFA OT's in Preseason.

He has literally 40% of the required strength he needs to play.

Tony Hills playing for the first time since his knee injury didn't struggle at all with Davis, neither did the RB's.

I liked Davis at UCLA but I'm just iffy on how he's going to turn out.

Even so, he's definitely not ready (System wise or Strength Wise) to play anything but ST's (And he hasn't even been doing much of that)..

That said, we still need a backup for Farrior(And future) and a backup for Woodley would be nice. Timmons is good for a surprise passrusher, and covering the TE/RB's right now, but he's not a every down LOLB if someone gets injured.

English and Brinkley seem like Prototypical Steeler LB's.. Bunkley at 6'2 265ish lbs and 4.7 speed seems like a Thumper Style ILB we like (Kirkland, Farrior)... and English could be a guy to develop behind Woodley/Timmons Just like James Harrison did (Was an OLB/ILB his first 2-3 years).

etk
12-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Larry English, Everette Brown, Clay Matthews.

SenorGato
12-01-2008, 11:07 PM
The DTs. VO from Duke and Vance Walker/Daryl Richard from DT come to mind.

Terrill Byrd and Arthur Jones are interesting too. I like Raji, Brace, and Antonio Dixon's potential to disrupt the pocket even from the nose . I'm too lazy to list any others. I think Dixon is going to be a steal for someone since he'll probably be taken Day 2.

Larry English and Eric Norwood. Sintim and Kindle can go in here I guess, but we talk about them here.

ThePudge
12-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Connor Barwin and Larry English were the players that immediately came to mind.

As it was said before me, Barwin started as a Tight End (backup to Brent Celek) at UC, had a couple year stint with the school's basketball team, and eventually moved over to the other side of the ball in football at DE. He has been extremely productive this season with 10 sacks to date, 13.5 TFL, 3 blocked kicks, and even is tied for 3rd on the team in passes defended. Unfortunately, most of Barwin's game is currently just raw athleticism. Still, with some coaching, he could pay off big time down the road. At 6'4 255, 3-4 OLB is a possibility as well. Very intruiging.

Larry English is another idea at 3-4 OLB as he stands a listed 6'3 255. He incorporates above average athleticism and experience to be a terror as a pass rusher in the MAC. With over 30 career sacks at Northern Illinois and 55 Tackles for Loss in his career, English has been plenty productive. Logic tells us that if Dan Bazuin can be selected in the 2nd, so can English; still, I'd say Mid 3rd sounds best for now.

Bob Sacamano
12-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Uconn DE Cody Brown, has 9 sacks on the year

people have mentioned Connor Barwin, I think he could be another Teddy Bruschi, athletic college DE-turned ball-hawking 3-4 ILB

Cal LB Zack Follet averages 6 sacks the last 3 years, has 7.5 this year

Slade Norris' Oregon State teammate Victor Butler, was top 10 in the nation in sacks last year

Minnesota DE William VanDeSteeg

Kansas LB James Holt, has 7 sacks

Missouri DE Stryker Sulak, 8.5 sacks

themaninblack
12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Terrill Byrd

I was pretty high on Byrd last year when he weighed about 15lbs less but I have heard from a very reliable source that he has been VERY lazy this season and his added weight is not good weight at all. Disappointing to hear, as I thought if he added about 10-15lbs of muscle he could be a legit DT in the NFL. If he goes to a team where he can be pushed I could see him being successful but right now that looks pretty bleak IMO.

BigBanger
12-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Who do you guys see as underrated pass rushers that will be in the draft?? Anyone that I should look for? Seeing as the Jets need a pass rusher pretty badly. Vernon Gholston is making me more mad every week, I doubt he ever becomes the pass rusher he was thought to be.
So is there any pass rushers that won't go round 1 but could be big time rushers in the NFL???
You already have a first round pass rusher (actually two). You don't and wont take another one so don't even bring it up. When he gets 7 to 10 sacks next year, then about 15 in year three you would be pretty upset that your team took another pass rusher the next year, because he didn't develop as fast as you would like. No one in this upcoming draft can touch Gholston and his potential.

DiG
12-03-2008, 10:46 AM

what rd do you think he projects right now?

CashmoneyDrew
12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
what rd do you think he projects right now?

5th or 6th right now IMO.

jetsfan0099
12-03-2008, 09:32 PM
You already have a first round pass rusher (actually two). You don't and wont take another one so don't even bring it up. When he gets 7 to 10 sacks next year, then about 15 in year three you would be pretty upset that your team took another pass rusher the next year, because he didn't develop as fast as you would like. No one in this upcoming draft can touch Gholston and his potential.

Lets see him get 1 sack before we start saying hes getting 7 to 10 sacks next year... What I hate is he is extremely slow for someone who ran a 4.6 at his combine.. Basically 40-time means nothing. He should of had 2 sacks against the Broncos.. But the idiot couldn't read a boot leg 2 times!!! The First time was understandable, (even though his job was the contain the outside which he fails) but the 2nd time he started after the RB but realized the QB had it then chases the QB but the big guy couldn't catch Cutler. He could of easily had 2 sacks.....

And Thanks guys for the names! I checked out each one of them and will try paying attention, some look like good athletes!

oregonbucfan
12-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Nick Reed?

Dont know how he will translate but since hes started has never had a problem getting to the QB

Babylon
12-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Nick Reed?

Dont know how he will translate but since hes started has never had a problem getting to the QB

He's probably going to have to play LB with his size. How's his speed?

Mr. Stiller
12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
He's probably going to have to play LB with his size. How's his speed?

He's not going to wow anyone with it. I'm betting his 40 isn't better than a 4.88-4.95.

I'm expecting him as a Rotational 4-3 DE.

I'm curious about his 10-20 splits and his agility #'s though.

Solomon
12-04-2008, 03:02 PM
He's not going to wow anyone with it. I'm betting his 40 isn't better than a 4.88-4.95.

I'm expecting him as a Rotational 4-3 DE.

I'm curious about his 10-20 splits and his agility #'s though.

Yeah, he's short, light and relatively slow. The kiss of death for NFL prospects. Which is too bad because he's been the most consistant DE in college football over the last two seasons and I absolutely love him as a college player. 60 tackles, 12 sacks and 22.5 TFL in 2007. 50 tackles, 13 sacks and 19.5 TFL this year.

Menardo75
12-04-2008, 03:06 PM
He knows how to get to the QB I think someone will get a steal in the late rounds with him. I went to the Civil War last year and I swear he made every tackle.

ammandss
12-04-2008, 03:17 PM
CLINT SINTIM - 6'3" 250 lbs.
3-4 OLB for Virginia

He will fit perfectly into any 3-4 system since he's been playing it for the past 4 years. I was worried about how he'd hold up without Chris Long drawing double teams (and sometimes more). Well, he was great this season and finished up with 11.0 sacks. He was simply a beast and I look forward to seeing him go in the second round.

Mr. Stiller
12-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah, he's short, light and relatively slow. The kiss of death for NFL prospects. Which is too bad because he's been the most consistant DE in college football over the last two seasons and I absolutely love him as a college player. 60 tackles, 12 sacks and 22.5 TFL in 2007. 50 tackles, 13 sacks and 19.5 TFL this year.

Well hey, Clark Haggans was 6'3 245-255ish and ran a 5.04 and still had a solid career as a 3-4 OLB. As long as they're only expecting him in zone, no issue really as long as he has some burst and agility, which I doubt he would have anywhere near those #'s without those 2 abilities.

rickscott
12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I was pretty high on Byrd last year when he weighed about 15lbs less but I have heard from a very reliable source that he has been VERY lazy this season and his added weight is not good weight at all. Disappointing to hear, as I thought if he added about 10-15lbs of muscle he could be a legit DT in the NFL. If he goes to a team where he can be pushed I could see him being successful but right now that looks pretty bleak IMO.

The problem with Byrd is that he may be no more than a legit 5'11" and in HS he played at about 285 and then dropped some of that last year when he was quicker. A 270 DT that's 5'11" has no future in the NFL so I think the added weight was supposed to prove he can be an NFL tackle and maybe he can not. He's very quick for a guy his size though

Mr. Stiller
12-05-2008, 05:04 PM
The problem with Byrd is that he may be no more than a legit 5'11" and in HS he played at about 285 and then dropped some of that last year when he was quicker. A 270 DT that's 5'11" has no future in the NFL so I think the added weight was supposed to prove he can be an NFL tackle and maybe he can not. He's very quick for a guy his size though

2 words...

Eric Foster.

Aftermath
12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Nick Reed is a stud.......In the college game.

He has one of the best motors in the nation and the speed and power to occasionally get by the NCAA Tackles.

Nothing special in the NFL imo.

themaninblack
12-05-2008, 09:02 PM

His height is really irrelevant at his position and in fact it probably helps him. In HS he was not 285lbs. Id say he was between 260-270 at that point and I'd know, I played against him. If he can maintain a good weight at about 300lbs he could do well as he is a VERY good athlete and possesses exceptional strength. That said, I wouldn't touch the guy because of his attitude.

STARHEATHER
12-05-2008, 09:03 PM
corey wooton from nw

marks01234
12-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Willie Young out of NC State - 6'5" 245, Jr. Similar to Manny Lawson on the field - not quite the athlete but has a good burst off the line and very good strength on his thin frame.

AkiliSmith
12-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Orion Martin - Virginia Tech - 6'2 256

Stats before today: 50 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, 4 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 4 hurries

giantsfan
12-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Can some of our illini watchers drop some knowledge about Will Davis? I haven't seen much but he looks to have a great burst with a sturdy frame that'll hold up at DE in the NFL. Haven't seen enough to judge his pass rush repetoire though.

Iamcanadian
12-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Barwin and English are the 2 guys I'm hoping Pitt looks at to draft. We have 2 backup LB's right now... only 1 ready to work in a rotation.. we need to draft an ILB and OLB so we can start Timmons fulltime and use the other guys in rotation..

I like Barwins Superior athleticism/coverage ability, but I like English's motor and he's raw power a bit more.

Great 2 picks if Pittsburgh can get them.

Jonny
12-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I like Wootton.

Connor Barwin and Cody Brown have been really good this year.

Hokie's#1
12-07-2008, 04:17 PM

Stats before today: 50 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, 4 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 4 hurries

Dang you. I was getting ready to say him. How about Ben Calderwood from Utah State?

oregonbucfan
12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I think Reed will be a ST player But hes been great at Oregon

etk
12-07-2008, 09:50 PM

Small, slow and weak. Benefits from a great DC and weak offensive opposition.

Martin does not even have draftable physical tools.

yourfavestoner
12-07-2008, 10:04 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0boE4MufDKbSW/610x.jpg
Jermaine Cunningham

SenorGato
12-07-2008, 10:09 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0boE4MufDKbSW/610x.jpg
Jermaine Cunningham

He's the Lawson to Dunlap's Williams. A very good prospect lined up with a great prospect.

He looked like a really good athlete against Alabama this weekend.

NOSH
12-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Maurice Evans, Penn State

He had a breakout year last year but had some off the field problems this year while Maybin terrorized the opposing O-Line. He isn't a senior but he might enter the draft b/c of Penn State's depth on the line.

Menardo75
12-08-2008, 03:19 AM
It's about time for a Ricky Sapp mention. I think this guy could end up being a great pass-rusher in the pros.