PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith NYG robbed at gunpoint

tjsunstein
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
New York Giants second-year receiver Steve Smith was robbed at gunpoint in the early hours of Nov. 25 after arriving home, according to Clifton, N.J., police.

Smith had just returned to his townhouse in a chauffer-driven car when he was approached from behind by man who held a gun to Smith's head, Clifton police Capt. Robert Rowan said.

"He said to him, 'Give me everything you got,' and Mr. Smith turned over his jewelry and money and cell phone," Rowan said Tuesday.

The man left the scene and is still being sought, Rowan said. It was unclear if Smith's driver was at the townhouse during the hold-up.

The robbery was first reported Sunday by NBC's Tiki Barber, a former Giants running back.

NFL security has been informed of the incident, league spokesman Greg Aiello said, according to Newsday. "We're aware of the situation," he said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3739206

Wow. Plax, now this. What are your thoughts?

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2008, 03:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3739206

Wow. Plax, now this. What are your thoughts?

Hmm. We now know Plax had a gun...

scottyboy
12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
this is a week old. It sucks, but it's not the first time a player was robbed at gunpoint. Yea it's scary, but not new. Happened to Will Allen when he was first drafted and another Giants fairly recently(can't recall)...

and how the **** does this have anything to do with plaxico?

sbh15
12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
And this is why NFL players should have body guards or carry guns.

Menardo75
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Sucks that people get targeted like this.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Did he lose his ring?

giantsfan
12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I like that this story hits the national news after the plax story. That said these things happen and its why so many high profile people like NFL athletes either have body guards or carry weapons themselves.

tjsunstein
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
this is a week old. It sucks, but it's not the first time a player was robbed at gunpoint. Yea it's scary, but not new. Happened to Will Allen when he was first drafted and another Giants fairly recently(can't recall)...

and how the **** does this have anything to do with plaxico?

The first time I'm hearing about it. My apologies if it's old.

Are you serious on how it relates to Plax?? First of all it's a distraction to the Giants. Second, it's a little ironic don't you think? Two Giants player involved in gun crime in the span of a week. Before anyone tries to spin this on me, I put absolutely no fault on Steve Smith for this. Obviously there are people out there targeting the Giants players right now. If I knew about this incident before the Plax situation then you could make a case justifying what happened to an extent.

skiinginNJ
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
clifton is FTL, i barely wanted to go to school near there, so i dont know why pro athlete's choose to live there

tjsunstein
12-02-2008, 04:05 PM
I like that this story hits the national news after the plax story. That said these things happen and its why so many high profile people like NFL athletes either have body guards or carry weapons themselves.

Again, I apologize.

I think the smarter route would be a body guard. It's not exactly a friendly place up in North Jersey. Carrying a weapon yourself can result in the exact opposite of what it's intended to.

bored of education
12-02-2008, 04:07 PM
was it Cheddar Plax that held him up?

giantsfan
12-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Again, I apologize.

I think the smarter route would be a body guard. It's not exactly a friendly place up in North Jersey. Carrying a weapon yourself can result in the exact opposite of what it's intended to.

Steve Smith is a second year second round pick, yes he's an NFL player and yes he earns well but in his situation a body guard is a little excessive, unless you've just got a close friend you want to help out. I think a player like him should carry a gun if he feels like he lives in an area where he will get targetted. I know I sure as hell would and I'm not really a gun guy.

Go_Eagles77
12-02-2008, 04:13 PM
I've been robbed at gunpoint before. Scary stuff. Glad he's ok.

Brent
12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
was it Cheddar Plax that held him up?
I believe it was Nightman.

Bruce Banner
12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, imagine if he had a gun on him!

he would have really shut that gunman up if he would have pulled out his nine at pointblank range!

RaiderNation
12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Just think of what would have happened if Plax was with him during the robbery!!

Or maybe it was Plax who did it

awfullyquiet
12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
lets take a look at what would have happened if smith pulled a gun on the guy.

smith would be dead.

advantage? guy who's holding the gun first. not the one who has the gun in his pocket.

besides. what did he lose? 10k tops? that's a small price to pay imo.

giantsfan
12-02-2008, 04:55 PM

smith would be dead.

advantage? guy who's holding the gun first. not the one who has the gun in his pocket.

Yeah but steve smith carries a gun the other guy will either be a murder or killed himself, thus if the robber knew steve smith had a gun he'd be much less likely to rob him. Ergo everyone should have a gun.

tjsunstein
12-02-2008, 04:55 PM

smith would be dead.

Exactly. 10k as opposed to your life.

awfullyquiet
12-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah but steve smith carries a gun the other guy will either be a murder or killed himself, thus if the robber knew steve smith had a gun he'd be much less likely to rob him. Ergo everyone should have a gun.

how do you know? do you really think that he wouldn't have shot him? you never know that ****. error on the side of caution. don't give him a reason to shoot.

tjsunstein
12-02-2008, 04:57 PM

Is it worth it instead of just handing him whatever you have on you? Not as a player.

Bruce Banner
12-02-2008, 04:58 PM

This is crazy.

Everyone should have a gun?

awfullyquiet
12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
This is crazy.

Everyone should have a gun?

KY1RdKhsXJg

giantsfan
12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Bazoookas strapped to babies backs

tjsunstein
12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
nTBStWcv5r0

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
okay this is ********.

nrk
12-02-2008, 05:30 PM

he would have really shut that gunman up if he would have pulled out his nine at pointblank range!

Steve Smith is so quick that the robber wouldn't see the motion of his arm going for the gun!

Jvig43
12-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Gee good thing Plax is getting a four game suspension for bringing no harm to anyone but himself and for carrying a gun to protect himself which MAY not be registered under his name. Gotta love the NFL, Guilty until proven innocent. Ridiculous imo. Matt light can go to town on Crowders head and get a small fine yet a man who happen to shoot HIMSELF gets punished for just being stupid. Im tired of the NFLs inconsistent conduct policies.

scottyboy
The first time I'm hearing about it. My apologies if it's old.

Are you serious on how it relates to Plax?? First of all it's a distraction to the Giants. Second, it's a little ironic don't you think? Two Giants player involved in gun crime in the span of a week. Before anyone tries to spin this on me, I put absolutely no fault on Steve Smith for this. Obviously there are people out there targeting the Giants players right now. If I knew about this incident before the Plax situation then you could make a case justifying what happened to an extent.

it's hardly a distraction. Guys will feel bad for Smith, give their condolances, and get back to work. Most guys on the team are done with Plax anyway in their minds. Couple of excellent articles in local papers telling stories of guys on the team putting this in the farthest part of their minds.

i can see the irony i guess, but this is stupid. he got robbed because he's a young wealthy kid. Plax has nothing to do with it.

Next story: Grey Ruegamer spends off day hunting deer. It involves guns, so Plax is stupid and it's all his fault

Bruce Banner
Steve Smith is so quick that the robber wouldn't see the motion of his arm going for the gun!

hold on mang!

my g--...wallet is in my coat pocket!

Turtlepower
12-02-2008, 05:32 PM
it's hardly a distraction. Guys will feel bad for Smith, give their condolances, and get back to work. Most guys on the team are done with Plax anyway in their minds. Couple of excellent articles in local papers telling stories of guys on the team putting this in the farthest part of their minds.

i can see the irony i guess, but this is stupid. he got robbed because he's a young wealthy kid. Plax has nothing to do with it.

Next story: Grey Guegamer spends off day hunting deer. It involves guns, so Plax is stupid and it's all his fault

Grey Ruegamer is a former ASU Sun Devil who also knows how to castrate a goat with his teeth. I kid you not.

scottyboy
12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Grey Ruegamer is a former ASU Sun Devil who also knows how to castrate a goat with his teeth. I kid you not.

i hate typos.

and I knew that, kinda why I used him as the example lol

and what a whitty pun, very clever. goat humor. that may be a first!

scottyboy
12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
hold on mang!

my g--...wallet is in my coat pocket!

or he'd throw his wallet to the robber and proceed to spec-catch it and the robber will be so dazzled and amazed and SMith's talent and ability to pick up 3rd downs, he'll leave and pick an easier target. The much slower, less talented, eqaully as wealthy Dwayne Jarret

SuperKevin
12-03-2008, 03:20 AM
I love how people think if Steve Smith had a gun it would have prevented someone from sneaking up on him and putting a gun to the back of his head. Heck If I know he has a gun I start shooting while he's not expecting it

Bruce Banner
12-03-2008, 03:22 AM
I love how people think if Steve Smith had a gun it would have prevented someone from sneaking up on him and putting a gun to the back of his head. Heck If I know he has a gun I start shooting while he's not expecting it

to be honest, only one person really thinks that.

i think.

SuperKevin
12-03-2008, 03:22 AM
Gee good thing Plax is getting a four game suspension for bringing no harm to anyone but himself and for carrying a gun to protect himself which MAY not be registered under his name. Gotta love the NFL, Guilty until proven innocent. Ridiculous imo. Matt light can go to town on Crowders head and get a small fine yet a man who happen to shoot HIMSELF gets punished for just being stupid. Im tired of the NFLs inconsistent conduct policies.

It's the fact that he shot himself with a concealed weapon in a place where he is not allowed to have a gun. The fact that he shot himself is really irrelevant when looking at the other stupid things he did wrong

SuperKevin
12-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Also is anyone really surprised that people are being robbed in and around New York City? I'm sure the other 38 armed robberies that occurred within a 30 mile radius went virtually uncovered.

Bruce Banner
12-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Also is anyone really surprised that people are being robbed in and around New York City? I'm sure the other 38 armed robberies that occurred within a 30 mile radius went virtually uncovered.

You're not giving NYC nearly enough credit!

giantsfan
12-03-2008, 07:36 PM

If steve smith had had a gun he would've used the scope to scan the scene as his car was approaching and then used his xray vision to locate the soon to be robber's weapon and got out of his car with his pistol grip double barrel pump shotgun aimed at the soon to be robbers head and safely proceeded inside.

HawkeyeFan
12-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Hense the reason Professional athlete's carry guns.

Giantsfan1080
12-03-2008, 07:40 PM

Actually NYC is one of the safest cities in the country.

Bruce Banner
12-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Hense the reason Professional athlete's carry guns.

are you serious?

giantsfan
12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
are you serious?

Are you serious?

If steve smith had had a gun he would've used the scope to scan the scene as his car was approaching and then used his xray vision to locate the soon to be robber's weapon and got out of his car with his pistol grip double barrel pump shotgun aimed at the soon to be robbers head and safely proceeded inside.

tjsunstein
12-03-2008, 09:15 PM
I have to write a paper on banning guns whether they should be completely banned or not. I'm sure this post could also go in the Homework thread but what's everyone elses take? Ban them or not ban them and why?

Bruce Banner
12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
I have to write a paper on banning guns whether they should be completely banned or not. I'm sure this post could also go in the Homework thread but what's everyone elses take? Ban them or not ban them and why?

completely? no

this is inching itself towards politics so I'd say try to figure it out yourself.

giantsfan
12-03-2008, 09:20 PM

i think banning guns would be stupid, "criminals" would still be able to get them via illegal means. Also I'm of the strong belief that any un-enforceable law always ends up creating more trouble than it prevents. Now personally I don't have a gun and don't really enjoying guns, but once I'm a home owner I'd imagine I'd arm myself. Sorry if this is too political.

Jvig43
12-03-2008, 09:49 PM
It's the fact that he shot himself with a concealed weapon in a place where he is not allowed to have a gun. The fact that he shot himself is really irrelevant when looking at the other stupid things he did wrong

He shot himself while pulling it out to hand over to security is what ESPN has been reporting.

SuperKevin
12-03-2008, 09:50 PM
He shot himself while pulling it out to hand over to security is what ESPN has been reporting.

Why isn't it on safe?

Jvig43
12-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Why isn't it on safe?

I agree, it was stupid to not have it on, im just saying if he was searched by security and they were taking the weapon from him before he entered the club then theres no crime there. Security did its job, and from the sounds of things, Plax was just an idiot. But ill ask this, if a normal person had been in this situation would this even be covered in anything outside of the local news? NO

Race for the Heisman
12-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Why isn't it on safe?

C'mon, this isn't exactly Albert Einstein. If he was dumb enough to have it in the first place, who's to say he can use the safety?

Seriously though, there are pistols that don't have safeties.

Brothgar
12-03-2008, 10:00 PM

At the risk of this becoming a political post. We can't ban guns if we ban guns then only crimials will have guns. Would it be great to live in a world where meat grew on trees and guns were unneccicery sure but it just isn't real.

Whistler6
12-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Hmm. We now know Plax had a gun...

If Steve Smith would have whipped out a gun, he would have been shot. There is no justifitcation or good way to handle it. It's simply stupid *** hole criminals committing stupid *** crimes. Crime happens and that sucks, but there's nothing we can do. Bringing guns to a club or when your around on the street is not the correct way to handle this

Race for the Heisman
12-03-2008, 10:05 PM
If Steve Smith would have whipped out a gun, he would have been shot. There is no justifitcation or good way to handle it. It's simply stupid *** holes committing stupid *** crimes.

I think you missed the plot...

steelersfan43
12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
I agree, it was stupid to not have it on, im just saying if he was searched by security and they were taking the weapon from him before he entered the club then theres no crime there. Security did its job, and from the sounds of things, Plax was just an idiot. But ill ask this, if a normal person had been in this situation would this even be covered in anything outside of the local news? NO
Yea, because they are not a national figure. Why do you think it is dumb that it is on the news? He is one of the most well known recievers in the league, especially after the superbowl, and he shot himself and is probably going to jail. O yea but right because if it happened to a random person no one knows about it wouldnt be reported so they shouldnt report this.

Jvig43
12-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Yea, because they are not a national figure. Why do you think it is dumb that it is on the news? He is one of the most well known recievers in the league, especially after the superbowl, and he shot himself and is probably going to jail. O yea but right because if it happened to a random person no one knows about it wouldnt be reported so they shouldnt report this.

Ok first of all fail, that was nothing close to the point i was trying to make. But ill explain. Personally i dont view the Plaxico case as anything but stupid. The man brought harm to only himself, has yet to be convicted of ANYTHING, up to this point and is suspended for the rest of the season and taken away money. Do the facts look bad, well yes. He was in possession of a weapon thats registration was expired. Did he bring it into somewhere it wasnt supposed to be, according to ESPN, no. He was taking it out as security checked him and shot himself, either he was really dumb or had already been drinking. My side of this debate is i dont think its wrong for Plax to have a night life, nor do i think its wrong for the guy to carry a gun. If anything, this thread were in illustrates why its safer to carry a gun, whether a guy got the jump on you or not. My point with the whole if a normal person were to do this would be reading about him going to jail? no, I doubt there'd even be an investigation of whether it was registered or not. The guy would most likely just get a video of himself on youtube form some ones camera phone. No duh any super star is going to be in the news, everything is news to the press when it comes to celebrities. Im tired of hearing about this, Kobey gets rape charges against him and the NBA supported him the whole entire time he fought through that case. We dont even get all the evidence and people on these forums were already starting threads about whether or not to kick the guy off the team. The media hasnt released alot of hard evidence about this case, I for one keep hearing one thing then something completely different an hour later. These are all my personal beliefs, sit the next few plays out kid, you werent even in the area of where i was going with that statement.