PDA

View Full Version : Suspension finally in

TitleTown088
12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Stick a fork in 'em they're done.

The NFL announced Tuesday the suspension without pay for four games of six players -- Charles Grant, New Orleans, Deuce McAllister, New Orleans, Bryan Pittman, Houston Will Smith, New Orleans, Kevin Williams, Minnesota and Pat Williams, Minnesota -- that violated the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances.

The players specifically violated a longstanding provision of the policy relating to the use of diuretics and water pills, which serve as masking agents for steroids and are potentially dangerous to the health of players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80cfe423&template=without-video&confirm=true

The Dynasty
12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I figured a packer fan would be the first to make a thread in the NFL Section about this....Well all Vikings fan can hope is that back up DT's for the vikings can step in and just be decent enough.

regoob2
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Couldnt this be before the Bears game.

regoob2
I figured a packer fan would be the first to make a thread in the NFL Section about this....Well all Vikings fan can hope is that back up DT's for the vikings can step in and just be decent enough.
Hey at least they'll be back for the playoffs and you have the tie breaker in the north.

TitleTown088

This is NFL news, Brah.

Some one a bit testy Detroit is going to get their first win?

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
i want the 1st and goal back. can we sue them?

RaiderNation
12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Ouch that hurts the vikings alot. 2 of the best DT's out for 4 weeks and their in the playoff hunt

TitleTown088
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Ouch that hurts the vikings alot. 2 of the best DT's out for 4 weeks and their in the playoff hunt

It could actually help them if they are able to hold on because this way they would not be lost for the playoffs. That's IF they get in.

The Dynasty
12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
This is NFL news, Brah.

Some one a bit testy Detroit is going to get their first win?

I figure the lions would get there first win anyways even if we had Pat and Kevin...Its just one of those games the vikings usually lose.

Well I hope Otis Grisby and Fred Evans can just stop the run.

Lets see we are facing...Kevin Smith/Rudi Johnson, Tim Hightower, Michael Turner, and Jacobs/Ward/Bradshaw. The last two are the only ones that concern me the most.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 04:28 PM
bears need to win 2 more than the vikes, unless the vikes lose to the lions, then the bears need to win 1 more than the vikes + packers game

PACKmanN
There goes the Vikings' top run defense

GB12
Hey at least they'll be back for the playoffs and you have the tie breaker in the north.
No they don't, we do. And they have to play the Giants, Falcons, and Cardinals still; now with out two very important players to their defense. The Vikings defense will be crap with out Pat and Kevin Williams. Playoffs, here we come!

tjsunstein
12-02-2008, 04:30 PM
So what's the hold up with Matt Jones then?

Shane P. Hallam
12-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Could this lead to Detroit's first win?

TitleTown088
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
No they don't, we do. And they have to play the Giants, Falcons, and Cardinals still; now with out two very important players to their defense. The Vikings defense will be crap with out Pat and Kevin Williams. Playoffs, here we come!

The Packers have to stop sucking first... Damn you Steve Smith!!!

Could this lead to Detroit's first win?
Detroit was going to win regardless. Classic Minnesota choke job coming right up.

giantsfan
12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
That saints D is going to be even uglier without Grant and Smith.

regoob2
12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
They'd have to go 1-3 and the Pack 3-1. I think the Vikes win the division.

TitleTown088
12-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Pack could reasonably go 4-0 based on their upcoming opponents.

GB12
12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
No. They just have to lose 2. Entirely possible with Atlanta, Arizona, and New York as their final three games especially without Pat and Kevin Williams.

As for us having to go 3-1; we have Houston, Jacksonville, Chicago, and Detroit. The Key is the Chicago game. If we lose that game then Minnesota would have the tiebreaker, but if we can beat Chicago and Detroit the tiebreaker is our's.

regoob2
12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
True, but I'll stick with my prediction.

regoob2
12-02-2008, 04:41 PM
No. They just have to lose 2. Entirely possible with Atlanta, Arizona, and New York as their final three games especially without Pat and Kevin Williams.

As for us having to go 3-1; we have Houston, Jacksonville, Chicago, and Detroit.
Im not saying you dont have a chance. I just think its the Vikes division to lose.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Bears could too..

GB12
12-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Im not saying you dont have a chance. I just think its the Vikes division to lose.
Which they will. I think both the Packers and Bears stand a better chance at winning the division than the Vikings.

TitleTown088
12-02-2008, 04:44 PM

Obviously, they're in the lead. However, RcA-NEhWVfI

Bears could too..
Could, however. 37-3. ;)

awfullyquiet
12-02-2008, 04:46 PM
holy crap! christmas came early!

fenikz
12-02-2008, 04:47 PM
And the people rejoiced

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Could, however. 37-3. ;)

If we lose to the packers we could still win the other 3s ;)

And the people rejoiced
u mean juiced right?

GB12
12-02-2008, 04:50 PM
If we lose to the packers we could still win the other 3s ;)
But would it matter?

Shane P. Hallam
12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Another question becomes the split at RB for NO with two similar RBs (kind of,) in Bush and Thomas

PACKmanN
12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
And the people rejoiced

Fenikz, we need another favor from your Cards....deliver it again :) lol

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
But would it matter?
the packers would have to win out. I can see Slaton beasting through ur defense or MJD

GB12
12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
the packers would have to win out. I can see Slaton beasting through ur defense or MJD
The chances of the Bears losing to the Saints are much higher than the Packers losing to the Texans or Jags.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Bears could still win versus the packers especially at home. if they win the next 2 with momentum its gonna be hard for the packers

edit: both starting DEs from the saints are also suspended right?

Vikes99ej
12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
No they don't, we do. And they have to play the Giants, Falcons, and Cardinals still; now with out two very important players to their defense. The Vikings defense will be crap with out Pat and Kevin Williams. ass-rape, here we come!

Yay! I'll watch!

GB12
12-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Bears could still win versus the packers especially at home. if they win the next 2 with momentum its gonna be hard for the packers

edit: both starting DEs from the saints are also suspended right?Like I've been saying for a couple weeks now, I think the Packers-Bears game decides the division.

awfullyquiet
12-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Like I've been saying for a couple weeks now, I think the Packers-Bears game decides the division.

it didn't look that way 4 weeks ago.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 05:08 PM
god i hope we go into the last week and the Packers have to win and lose to the lions

Vikes99ej
12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Like I've been saying for a couple weeks now, I think the Packers-Bears game decides the division.

Whoever faces them in the playoffs gets a late Christmas present.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
i thought there are 3 first round byes this year

GB12
12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Whoever faces them in the playoffs gets a late Christmas present.
Did you not just make that joke in your last post?

bearsfan_51
12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
You have the tiebreaker if you beat the Bears and Lions. You have yet to do either of those things yet.

Vikes99ej
12-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Did you not just make that joke in your last post?

Vikings, Packers, and Bears all suck. There, a third!

Dr. Gonzo
12-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I heard that the the Williams' lawyer is going to seek a court injuction. I do not have a source as I am too lazy to look it up and I do not know exactly what effect that would have on things but that is what I heard.

Vikes99ej
12-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I heard that the the Williams' lawyer is going to seek a court injuction. I do not have a source as I am too lazy to look it up and I do not know exactly what effect that would have on things but that is what I heard.

I heard that too.

russie
12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
why have the 6 been suspended, but grady jackson hasnt? he was part of the group taking starcaps.

Vikes99ej
12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
why have the 6 been suspended, but grady jackson hasnt? he was part of the group taking starcaps.

Because Grady Jackson is a fat bastard.

BeerBaron
12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
The would suspend the Williams after the fuel the win over the Bears but before they have to play the Packers.....I call major BS.

edit: nevermind.....i'm unsmart.

GB12
12-02-2008, 05:39 PM
The would suspend the Williams after the fuel the win over the Bears but before they have to play the Packers.....I call major BS.
Um, Packers played them 3 weeks ago.

djp
12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
It's going to be put off until the first four weeks of next season due to a court injunction.

djp
12-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Angelo Wright, the agent for Pat and Kevin Williams, said he would file a motion in federal court Wednesday morning, presumably to put off the suspensions.

The Vikings released a statement on Tuesday regarding the suspensions.

"In response to this afternoon's ruling, the Minnesota Vikings are very disappointed in the National Football League's decision and suspension of Kevin Williams and Pat Williams. At the appropriate time, we will have further comment."

If a player's team makes the playoffs, the player will be eligible to return to the active roster on Dec. 29.

A representative for one of the players told ESPN senior analyst Chris Mortensen on Tuesday that there is a plan to file for an injunction in a U.S. District Court Wednesday morning in an attempt to keep the suspended players active for the rest of the 2008 season.

There's the text.

mpt117
12-02-2008, 06:08 PM
how come these 6 guys got suspended but grady jackson didnt? doesnt make sense to me...been readin bout this topic on 1-2 other sites as well

tjsunstein
12-02-2008, 06:10 PM
how come these 6 guys got suspended but grady jackson didnt? doesnt make sense to me...been readin bout this topic on 1-2 other sites as well

I was wondering that too.
What is going on with the Matt Jones appeal? Anyone know?

d34ng3l021
12-02-2008, 06:11 PM
The league must have had the Falcons in mind. Grady Jackson is not suspended (he sued someone...I think they are waiting on that decision to be made. He could be out for the last 2 games or something?). Falcons play the Saints next, without Charles Grant, Will Smith, and Deuce McAlister. 2 weeks from now, the Falcons play the Vikings without the Williams brothers. Our playoff push got a lot easier.

If only they found something on the Buccaneers.

Smooth Criminal
12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't think the Vikings win the divison with those two guys out. They are a huge part of their defense.

They got a huge win over the Bears that should help them.

TitleTown088
12-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Winning the NFC North this season is a bit like being the worlds tallest midget.

saintsfan912
12-02-2008, 07:51 PM
It's not like this really hurts us. It could only help really. Will hasn't done anything all season, Grant was put on IR a couple weeks ago and they don't play Deuce anyways. Pierre is just fine as the #1 with Reggie doing his Payton trick plays. Bobby McCray has been far more impressive than either of our starting DEs this year so oh well.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Winning the NFC North this season is a bit like being the worlds tallest midget.

Then I'd hate to know what winning the AFC West is...

SaintsMan
12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
That saints D is going to be even uglier without Grant and Smith.

Grant has been on IR for a while now and McCray has been an improvment. Will Smith is overrated and whoever we start in his place will do just as well, getting no passrush. The last 2 weeks, our Defense has played the best that it has all season. Not that it matters now, this team is a mess

TitleTown088
12-03-2008, 12:14 AM
It's going to be put off until the first four weeks of next season due to a court injunction.

As asinine as it may sound I actually would not object to this. No one from the NFC North will be a serious contender this year. Next year however could be a whole different story. I think there will be three good teams and it would be nice for Minny to miss the Williams sisters for four games.

PoopSandwich
12-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Minn has this guy called Adrian Peterson people may have heard of him... You really think Detroit is gonna stop him?

djp
12-03-2008, 01:24 AM
As asinine as it may sound I actually would not object to this. No one from the NFC North will be a serious contender this year. Next year however could be a whole different story. I think there will be three good teams and it would be nice for Minny to miss the Williams sisters for four games.

Williams sisters?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/48/480535.jpg

I'd hardly call that a sister.

pete_norm
12-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Williams sisters?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/48/480535.jpg

I'd hardly call that a sister.

It's because his sister looks like that, and his mother too i guess. It's must be a cultural reference thing...

Dam8610
12-03-2008, 08:36 AM
:mad: Of course Goodell waits until AFTER the Vikings play Matt Forte to suspend their run defense. Yet another reason to dislike Mr. Inconsistency.

Dam8610
12-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Then I'd hate to know what winning the AFC West is...

Being the world's 2nd tallest midget? And winning the NFC West is like being the world's shortest midget.

fenikz
12-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Fenikz, we need another favor from your Cards....deliver it again :) lol

lol sadly that is still one of the greatest moments in cardinals history only #2 to beating the cowboys in the playoffs

awfullyquiet
12-03-2008, 09:21 AM
It's because his sister looks like that, and his mother too i guess. It's must be a cultural reference thing...

now that. was funny.

drowe
12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
awesome! i have kevin smith in my fantasy league and i wasn't feeling good about him going up against the williams wall this week.

also, if the vikings lose to the lions i'm gonna LOL at every viking fan i come across.

Vikes99ej
12-03-2008, 10:01 AM
:mad: Of course Goodell waits until AFTER the Vikings play Matt Forte to suspend their run defense. Yet another reason to dislike Mr. Inconsistency.

http://www.coedhumor.com/images/posters/600/1159002584604.jpg

GB12
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Because he didn't help your fantasy team? Damn, what an asshole.

Dam8610
12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Because he didn't help your fantasy team? Damn, what an asshole.

The first part was a joke. I stand by Mr. Inconsistency though. Odell Thurman misses 2 years for a DUI, and Matt Jones has yet to be suspended for cocaine possession (which he was busted with BEFORE the season)? That sure sounds consistent and fair. :rolleyes:

Gay Ork Wang
12-03-2008, 03:41 PM
The first part was a joke. I stand by Mr. Inconsistency though. Odell Thurman misses 2 years for a DUI, and Matt Jones has yet to be suspended for cocaine possession (which he was busted with BEFORE the season)? That sure sounds consistent and fair. :rolleyes:
http://www.fmft.net/archives/Dead%20Horse/Dead%20Horse%204.JPG
beat it!

vikes_28
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
dude that is nasty

djp
12-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Suspensions temporarily lifted.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/35496664.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

We will see what happens, but this was the first step. The next step will be the most difficult, but this certainly helps.

Vikes99ej
12-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Suspensions temporarily lifted.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/35496664.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

We will see what happens, but this was the first step. The next step will be the most difficult, but this certainly helps.

Not even the justice system can stop Kevin and Pat huh huh huh!!!

FuzzyGopher
12-03-2008, 06:55 PM
In a way I think it is delaying the inevitable. They will most likely be suspended at some point and i sure don't want it to be next year, or for the last 3 games and the playoffs if we make them.

djp
12-03-2008, 07:09 PM
http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=1612309023

No real information, but just kinda interesting to see.

djp
12-05-2008, 05:56 PM
So, I just had a long butt convo with my boss, who was a judge at Hennepin County for 20+ yrs, and is actually still good friends with the judge who issued the restraining order yesterday against the NFL and found out some interesting things.

-the restraining order is issued on 2 merits in civil court; 1) is there irreprable (don't feel like looking it up on spelling) harm to the plantiff at this time and 2) what is the balance of harm between the 2 parties for both the issuing of it vs. not issuing it. Because the NFL does not become harmed from simply delaying the possible suspension, but because there is irreprable harm created to the team and the two players by the imposing of the suspension, the restraining order can be issued.

Now, the order itself has no effect on whether or not the suspensions actually occur. It simply means that the harm that would come to the players and the team outweighs any harm that would occur to the NFL by not carrying out the suspension at this time. It is a civil restraining order, and has no similarities at all to a criminal one, obviously. And, it ain't going away any time soon either.

-They filed in in district court because it is much faster to do it locally then to file right away at the federal level. She was telling me that she herself would get restraining orders and civil injunctions on a daily basis for legal battles that clearly needed to be in federal court, but they were issued locally first so the harmful act could be delayed right away, whereas if you went to federal court, you may have to wait weeks before you could even get the injunction to stop the act that you are filing against.

-It will go to federal court, but it is open as to which federal court it will go to because of shared jurisdictions. Also, a federal judge is going to be less likely to rule in the players' favor than a local judge as a local judge has to deal with re-election, and it wouldn't always be a good thing to rule against your local players (unless the locals actually want the players to be punished). A federal judge is on there for life and doesn't have to worry about issues such as local opinions.

-Last, they actually have a very solid legal argument. Basically, they simply need to show that their example is not the typical example of what the league's policy was aimed towards (knowingly taking an illegal substance and knowing of the consequences) and that they are not as fully culpable as what the policy envisioned one would be. Because of that, it easily could be sent from the federal court to arbitration hearings, where a judge could help to mediate the sides, or, the federal judge could either shoot down the punsihment and tell the NFL to change the punishment, or the judge could say that punishment "x" is more appropriate and say that the NFL should implement "x" instead.

Either way, it is going to an an interesting legal battle and it is not going to be done anytime soon. Federal court is heavilly backed up with criminal cases because of a rule they have regarding speedy trials that are criminal, so their civil cases end up getting back logged. So, this easily, after being transferred to federal court, likely will not be solved until after the playoffs. No joke. That would mean even if they get suspended, the legal minds here are seeing as it wouldn't be until next season.

Some interesting stuff in there.

GB12
12-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I don't get how the government has anything to do with this. Why do they get to step in here?

gsorace
12-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't get how the government has anything to do with this. Why do they get to step in here?

They didn't "step in". The union filed a suit in federal court

GB12
12-05-2008, 06:42 PM
They didn't "step in". The union filed a suit in federal court
I guess I worded that poorly. What I meant was why would they be able to change the NFL's ruling? It is a league rule so the league should be able to decide what constitutes breaking it and they determine the punishment, not the government.

Brothgar
12-05-2008, 06:45 PM
I don't know why the Vikings are delaying the suspensions (other than the thought that they will win) Those two are going to be alot more important in the Playoffs then games against the Lions, Cards and Atlanta.

Gay Ork Wang
12-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't know why the Vikings are delaying the suspensions (other than the thought that they will win) Those two are going to be alot more important in the Playoffs then games against the Lions, Cards and Atlanta.
they might not make it into the playoffs without those 2

fenikz
12-05-2008, 07:14 PM

without those 2 they win 1 of the 3 games

Bucs_Rule
12-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I guess I worded that poorly. What I meant was why would they be able to change the NFL's ruling? It is a league rule so the league should be able to decide what constitutes breaking it and they determine the punishment, not the government.

I think its good that the players can get an independent person to decide if the suspension has merits or not. Employees in other jobs can sue if they feel the grounds for a suspension/firing were wrong. The NFL is no different.

Its the players decision. It might not be as good for the teams schedule, but they lose 4 games worth of pay. They also feel the suspension is wrong and would want to fight it for the principle of it.

GB12
12-05-2008, 08:12 PM
without those 2 they win 1 of the 3 gamesEven with both Williams they won't win more than 1 of those 3. I can't see them beating two of the Giants, Falcons, and Cardinals with or without DTs. Without them I would expect them to lose all 3.

ChezPower4
12-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Even with both Williams they won't win more than 1 of those 3. I can't see them beating two of the Giants, Falcons, and Cardinals with or without DTs. Without them I would expect them to lose all 3.

They play the Giants in week 17 and I doubt the Giants will play their staters the whole game. I know they will have the bye but they can't risk injury in a game that means nothing.

Gay Ork Wang
12-06-2008, 04:45 AM
doubt theyll do it. Last year it was a big spark for them not sitting (voluntarily or not). I dont think they want to jepordize their momentum

Brothgar
12-08-2008, 03:30 PM
without those 2 they win 1 of the 3 games

True but is it going to take more than a week to get a final verdict?

GB12
12-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Now that the Packers are all but finished anyway I hope they hold off until next season.

The Dynasty
12-11-2008, 04:19 PM
The Breaking News on ESPN News is US District Court Judge rules in favor of 5 players suspended for violating NFL Policy on steriods and related Substances.

Ill look for a link but its at the bottom on the ESPN news Channel.

Edit: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/11/starcaps-case-wont-be-resolved-until-after-playoffs/

Temporary restraining order will remain

Posted: December 11th, 2008 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints

Good news for the Saints and the Vikings, and bad news for their opponents.

The federal judge who blocked five NFL suspensions last week just said the temporary restraining order will remain in full effect until a full hearing, a league source said Thursday. That means the five Vikings and Saints players who tested positive for a banned diuretic are good to play for rest of the season and the playoffs.

Gay Ork Wang
12-11-2008, 04:29 PM
bullcrap!!!

Vikes99ej
12-11-2008, 05:04 PM
There goes the Vikings' top run defense

loli

holy crap! christmas came early!

loli

And the people rejoiced

loli

This news doesn't really surprise me.

Gay Ork Wang
12-11-2008, 05:05 PM
still think the vikings will go 1-2 at best

D-Rod
12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
arse - damn legal system that pays my salary...

GB12
12-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Agreed. Without them I doubt they'd win one. With them they have a chance to win one.

Gay Ork Wang
12-11-2008, 06:59 PM
so i hope we win out!

Vikes99ej
12-11-2008, 07:02 PM
I guarantee you the Vikings win one of these games. No chance at all we lose out.

Dr. Gonzo
12-12-2008, 02:25 AM

Nah. I can honestly see them going 3-0 so that would be the best case scenario. Is it probable? Hell no. I don't think it will happen either. But they will have a decent shot at winning every game. At this point I am not even going to speculate at how many games they win but I think there is a much better chance they win all three than they lose them.

With Arizona they just need to put Warner on his ass every chance they have and play solid offence (which they rarely ever do) and I can see them winning. They need to give the ball to AD a lot and just let him wear down Zona's defence. That goes for every game though so I won't mention it again.

I think the Atlanta game will be the easiest of th three. That doesn't mean it will be an easy game, I just think their best shot at winning will be there. Pressure Ryan, force him to make rookie mistakes (which is going to be tough). The team has to be at their run stopping best because if they can stop the run I think they have a great shot at winning.

As for the Giants they just need to play like they did last year against them. If they aren't playing that well hopefully some starters will be resting at least by halftime. I think they will have somewhat of a mental edge knowing they beat pretty much the same team last year handidly (albeit the team had not come inot its own yet).

So really to say at best they go 1-2 is ******* ********. I am not saying you are the only one either Renji. If they get their **** together and use the advantages they have against each team properly I think they stand a great chance in each game. Those three games should be fun to watch.

yodabear
12-12-2008, 02:28 AM
Also, the Giants might have HFA and all their **** clinched, so there is a possibility the Giants could be resting their starters in week 17.

Vikes99ej
12-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Also, the Giants might have HFA and all their **** clinched, so there is a possibility the Giants could be resting their starters in week 17.

The Giants don't strike me as a team that would do that.

ironman4579
12-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Some interesting sutff on Sirius NFL Radio the other day. Movin' the Chains (hosted by Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan, easily the best show on Sirius IMO) had the lawyer for Pat and Kevin Williams on. According to him, there's about 4 months worth of evidence for the judge to go through, that the NFL wanted him to go through in about a weekm which wasn't going to happen. Obviously this is the lawyer for the players, so take anything he had to say with a grain of salt here. But I'll give you the general idea of what he said.

Basically, the league knew in 2006 that Starcaps contained a banned substance, and also that this banned substance was potentially very harmful to players. Two doctors for the league and a league lawyer were responsible for getting this information to the FDA, the NFLPA, and the teams. This failed to happen, which is why the Williams boys have also sued the two doctors and the lawyer.

He called the league saying that they told the teams and the NFLPA that it was a banned and harmful substance "an outright fiction." According to him, the league placed Starcaps on the "do not endorse" list, not the banned substances list. This meant that the players couldn't go on TV or in print or radio ads to endorse the product, not that they couldn't take the product. Basically trying to cover the league image by not having the players endorse a potentially harmful product, but not worrying about the players themselves. He also said they presented evidence to the judge showing that the FDA was never told of the harmful effects of Starcaps by the league either.

He further went on to say that in a deposition to the federal judge, an NFLPA rep said that the league never informed the NFLPA that Starcaps were harmful or contained a banned substance. This was a sworn statement under oath, I believe.

He then went on to point out that the league's "the player is responsible for what they put in their bodies" argument was somewhat ridiculous, as if Starcaps had contained cyanide, and the league sat on that info, and a player died, the league would/could say the same thing.

It was a very interesting interview. I'll see if I can find a transcript or something.