PDA

View Full Version : Kaluka Maiava

bigbluedefense
12-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy? He's a senior OLB for USC, but he's not on Scott's board. 6 0" 230 lbs.

I came away impressed with him. Was wondering what you guys think about him.

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Hes looked good the times I've seen him.Other than being a backup for Rivers I can't say I know anything about him.

Turtlepower
12-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Hes looked good the times I've seen him.Other than being a backup for Rivers I can't say I know anything about him.

That pretty much sums it up. It is tough to tell if he plays well based on the defense or the supporting cast.

bigbluedefense
12-02-2008, 09:14 PM
i seen him against Notre Dame. And he was all over the field. He made more plays than Cushing and Mala(whatever) combined.

He was fast, he was always around the ball, hit hard, he looked the part to me. My only concern would be size honestly.

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
i seen him against Notre Dame. And he was all over the field. He made more plays than Cushing and Mala(whatever) combined.

He was fast, he was always around the ball, hit hard, he looked the part to me. My only concern would be size honestly.

I honestly don't think his size is an issue I think he's going to get a bowl invite and fly up the charts, he has all the tools minus height you could ask in a WLB.

bigbluedefense
12-02-2008, 09:25 PM
I honestly don't think his size is an issue I think he's going to get a bowl invite and fly up the charts, he has all the tools minus height you could ask in a WLB.

i can see him becoming one of those guys that flies up the charts as well. i think he might eventually land in the round 2-3 zone. maybe even early 4th if his size gets overanalyzed. im hoping so at least, id love for my team to nab him.

i also think he times well.

generally, its the unappreciated guys at USC that tend to become the best Pros from their program.

D-Unit
12-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Responded to your PM BBD. Too lazy to repost it here.

But I love Maiava.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/54/541324.jpg

bigbluedefense
12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
If you don't mind D, since I found your answer in my PM very helpful, should i post it for the rest of the board to see?

D-Unit
12-02-2008, 09:39 PM
If you don't mind D, since I found your answer in my PM very helpful, should i post it for the rest of the board to see?
I don't mind.

BOOM!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fbVbXb3Eg4jr/610x.jpg

bigbluedefense
12-02-2008, 09:41 PM
this is the PM for the rest of the board. I found it very insightful so with D's permission im showin it to the rest of you guys.

Whassup D. I have a question regarding a prospect. I don't watch much college football (if ever lately), but I had a chance to check out some of the USC/Notre Dame game.

There was this one player on USC that kept sticking out to me. #43 on defense (LB). So i went to their website, and found out that his name is Kaluka Maiava, and he's a senior, yet he's not on Scott's list.

Is there any particular reason for that? Also, whats your thoughts on him? From that one game, I came away very impressed. He was all over the field, and in my opinion, made more plays than Malauga and Cushing combined. I think he's going to be one hell of a gamer, unless im overreacting.

What do you think? Do you know anything about the guy?
Hell ya I know about him. Baldwin High School grad from Maui. Maiava doesn't get a lot of pub, but he should. He tore up the HS scene here in Hawaii. I thought he was better than Manti Te'o. If you haven't heard of Te'o, one day you will. We'll see though, the sky's the limit for Te'o.

Maiava has always been the guy behind the scenes there. Yet he's always around the action on the field, and will come up with a big play from time to time. Outstanding instincts, blue collar worker who will bring his lunch pail and hard hat to work, clock in and clock out without anyone noticing except his own co-workers... in this case his own teammates. I don't know for a fact, but I bet he's the type that very respected amongst his teammates. He's been consistent his whole USC career. I haven't seen great improvement in his game, but I've thought very highly from him for a long time. He's been pretty damn good from the start. His numbers have improved with increased playing time, but he played as a true freshman and even had an impact when he was in the game then. He's always been comfortable playing his role, not being an attention getter, respecting and learning from those before him and along side of him, and doing the dirty work when his number has been called. I don't expect him to be a first day pick when he enters the draft, or even a 3rd or 4th rounder, but he's the kind of guy that a team could really hit on. The reason why he is probably not among Scott's rankings is because based off measurables, his periferals don't stack up. I know he's a LB, but I don't think he has the speed/size numbers scouts look for in an NFL WLB or MLB. He has a strong will though. Carroll has used him both at WLB and MLB. He has a very sound game and has been coached well. I'm guessing that from the ND game that you might have noticed that he moves well to the ball, takes on blocks and plays with a silent like aggression. Then again... anyone might look good against ND.

The team that drafts him will get someone who will be an excellent special teams player from the start. He's been one of SC's best in that category. I think he even won some award on it. I don't think the team needs to give him time before putting him on the field. I think he could play right away. I think the bigger thing is getting a chance. If he gets that, I can see him being a very good NFL role player. He's better than Oscar Lua and not as good as Lofa Tatupu.

I think the Giants would be a perfect fit for him because they understand that the team is stronger than the individual and guys like Maiava define that type of player. Maiava would put on the hard and let'r rip. He's ballsy too. I think it was last summer... it was in the local news... he ran into a brawl that was like 35 vs 5. His brother was one of the 5 and he ran in there, pulled his little brother out and kicked some ass on the way.

I love that guy. Thanks for asking. It was fun talking about him.

STARHEATHER
12-02-2008, 09:54 PM
is this "the rock"s brother/son?

D-Unit
12-02-2008, 09:56 PM
is this "the rock"s brother/son?
There is no immediate relation between Kaluka Maiava and the coconut (brown on the outside, white on the inside) that is Dwayne Johnson.

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2008, 10:42 PM
There is no relation between Kaluka Maiava and the coconut (brown on the outside, white on the inside) that is Dwayne Johnson.

From what I've seen and read of Kaluka... he reminds me of Troy again..

He doesn't have his speed, but he's the same type of player. You won't notice him as much without the hair..

But he always gets to the ball, always making plays, and he such a silent angst. Troy almost seems too quiet and effeminate in his PC's but when he gets on that field, he's like a missle. I see a lot of similar qualities.

I figure he'll be about 5'11-6'0 228-235lbs and 4.63-4.69 speed.

even so his games speak for them self.

Even when Rivers was there, the games he substituted in he was the best and most productive player on the defense.

Something like 2 games last year and he had 11 and 10 tackles.

SuperKevin
12-02-2008, 11:24 PM
There is no immediate relation between Kaluka Maiava and the coconut (brown on the outside, white on the inside) that is Dwayne Johnson.
http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/maiava_kaluka00.html

According to his USC bio The Rock is this guy's uncle

D-Unit
12-02-2008, 11:29 PM
http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/maiava_kaluka00.html

According to his USC bio The Rock is this guy's uncle
I guess that's close enough to be a father or son.

BRAVEHEART
12-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Fast, high motor, decent in coverage, undersized....Tampa2.

BigBanger
12-02-2008, 11:40 PM
I like what the guy does in space, but he's never blocked.

SuperKevin
12-02-2008, 11:49 PM
He's a victim of extreme depth at USC. Anywhere else he'd probably be a 2 or 3 year starter. Reminds me of a fellow Pacific Islander Freddy Keiaho who plays for the Colts. It's been said before, he's a great fit in the Cover 2

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 08:09 PM
did i just see a maivia /troy polumalu comparison.

Ozzy
12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Clearly has not seen much playing time outside of this year but all you need is one season, just ask Thomas Williams. Maiava is a solid playmaker from the linebacker position, fast, reads plays well and can tackle in space, will easily be drafted probably on the second day.

Ward
12-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Even when Rivers was there, the games he substituted in he was the best and most productive player on the defense.

Would you be willing to say, on record, that he's a better, and more productive linebacker than Keith Rivers? :D

In case you don't remember the old meme, I'm not being serious.

bigbluedefense
12-04-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm officially on his bandwagon.

bigbluedefense
12-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Continues to impress me. I think he'll make a great sleeper LB in this draft. All he does is make plays.

I don't know what system he belongs in though. I want to say Cover 2, but the guy won't time well i don't think. He's just a solid player, but also is too small for a 3-4, and maybe too small for a conventional 4-3, unless he has a strong dline in front of him.

In the right system though, I think this guy turns out to be one of those "steals"

vidae
12-09-2008, 12:05 PM
The Chiefs need good c2 linebackers in the worst way.

Hokie's#1
12-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Best LB on USC this year.

OneToughGame
12-09-2008, 02:58 PM
"He's better than Oscar Lua and not as good as Lofa Tatupu."

If he turns out to be anywhere near Lofas caliber in the NFL he's going to be a steal in this years draft.

Mr. Stiller
12-09-2008, 04:26 PM
"He's better than Oscar Lua and not as good as Lofa Tatupu."

If he turns out to be anywhere near Lofas caliber in the NFL he's going to be a steal in this years draft.

The guy I see like Lofa, is Maurice Crum.

Not fast, not "amazing" in any type of way other than that guy has some of the best play recognition and is ALWAYS at the ball.

MarioPalmer
12-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Best LB on USC this year.

Yeah, definitely better than a LB that is projected to go in the top 10-15. Yeah definitely better than that. C'mon man, don't make statements like that then bail. It is very immature and even worse it becomes an irrelevant remark and worse yet it makes you look like you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Trying to compare Maiava to Rey Maualuga and or Brian Cushing, two relevant top end prospects is very homerish and bullheaded. That would be like me saying that Chase Daniel is a better prospect than Sam Bradford because he has produced more in the Big 12. It’s just ridiculous. I know a lot of people have gotten this underlined hatred for Rey Maualuga for some reason but to say that a special teams player is better than a starter from his freshman year who has gotten better and progressed like an elite prospect should in all aspects of his game and has run away with the top slot for a jammed pack MLB group in the 2009 NFL Draft is just downright foolish.

Please, I beg you to explain your post because for the life of me I can’t think of a single thing that he does that is in anyway, shape or form better than Rey Maualuga. And to top if off you say that he is not only better than Rey, but Cushing as well. Who by the way is the #2 OLB in the draft and one of the most versatile players in this draft. Cushing is one of the only outside linebackers in this draft that can play in both a 3-4 and a 4-3. Cushing who is a by far one of the more athletic and aggressive linebackers coming out who can be a force of the edge and who has the speed and agility to run with tight ends and take on screens and bubble screens.

I’m sorry, but to think that for a second that Maiava can be an elite type player like this is just asinine. I like the guy as a special teams player and a guy who can be a asset as a type of team player, but to think he will be an elite LB worthy of being picked in the 1rst round is just plain crazy. Because that’s where both Maualuga (projected to go in the top 15) and Cushing (projected to go in at the end of round 1) are being pegged. Sorry, but if Maiava was better he’d have more of an impact on that defense, if he was better he would have played over Cushing last year when Rivers was here. I’m sorry, but your post couldn’t be more wrong and more bias towards a fringe second day draft pick and it has obviously couded your judgment.

giantsfan
12-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Personally I like Spikes a lot more than Rey Rey, he can play as physically, is a better pass rusher, more versatile and quicker at both reading plays and also a quicker athlete. Plus he's grown into a leadership role on that florida defense which will be playing for the National Title.

Burns336
12-10-2008, 04:06 AM
If we're talkin underrated LB's from SC I have to go back to Mathews.

D-Unit knows I have a boner for him. He can play a lot of different LB positions 3-4 and 4-3. He's a good pass rusher. Former walk on who just got stuck in a numbers game at SC.

They put him on the D-line just to get him in the game and he plays outside opposite of Cushing when they go into the 46 look.

Right now Rey and Cushing are obviously the 2 household names, I think Mathews is a better player than Maiava. Not to say Maiava isn't good, but you never know with a guy like him when he is surrounded by 2 other 1st round LB's.

A few years ago didn't the 3rd LB of the Hawk, Carpenter, ?forgot his name? trio seem to look a lot better than he really was?

SuperKevin
12-10-2008, 07:31 AM
If we're talkin underrated LB's from SC I have to go back to Mathews.

D-Unit knows I have a boner for him. He can play a lot of different LB positions 3-4 and 4-3. He's a good pass rusher. Former walk on who just got stuck in a numbers game at SC.

They put him on the D-line just to get him in the game and he plays outside opposite of Cushing when they go into the 46 look.

Right now Rey and Cushing are obviously the 2 household names, I think Mathews is a better player than Maiava. Not to say Maiava isn't good, but you never know with a guy like him when he is surrounded by 2 other 1st round LB's.

A few years ago didn't the 3rd LB of the Hawk, Carpenter, ?forgot his name? trio seem to look a lot better than he really was?

Schlegal? Yeah. He was supposed to be good. Their 4th LB Kerr was supposed to be a beast too after he transferred from Indiana.

Babylon
12-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Personally I like Spikes a lot more than Rey Rey, he can play as physically, is a better pass rusher, more versatile and quicker at both reading plays and also a quicker athlete. Plus he's grown into a leadership role on that florida defense which will be playing for the National Title.

I like Spikes better than Rey too although Spikes takes a lot of plays off and seems a little crazy, although that may be a good thing. If i were picking an ILB i would probably go with Laurinaitis for his consistancy.

OLB i would go with Curry over Cushing by a nose and Herzlich would be the wildcard at either position if he were to come out. Sort of drifting off topic here for which i apologize.

etk
12-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Maiava is very good. USC backup LBs have been drafted pretty high, so 1-year starters should have no problem. He's undersized but I saw a good athlete that pursues well to the ball. I think he can profile as a special teams/backup immediately.

USC has at least 5 good linebackers right now, and more last year. That's not to be understated when evaluating these players.

giantsfan
12-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I like Spikes better than Rey too although Spikes takes a lot of plays off and seems a little crazy, although that may be a good thing. If i were picking an ILB i would probably go with Laurinaitis for his consistancy.

OLB i would go with Curry over Cushing by a nose and Herzlich would be the wildcard at either position if he were to come out. Sort of drifting off topic here for which i apologize.

I wouldn't pick Laurinaitis to play inside in any scheme other than a tampa-2 over Spikes. Spikes has greatly improved his consistency this year and is a guy that's progressed steadily and he does play somewhat crazy, but it's not an out of control roaming crazy so I have no problem with it, in fact that's a positive IMO because he makes sure his team-mates are playing balls to the wall and leads that by example.

Curry's more than a nose better than cushing, he does everything cush can do better, short of rushing the passer and blitzing where they're about on par, without the injury concerns and with more focus on him by opposing offenses.

Babylon
12-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Curry's more than a nose better than cushing, he does everything cush can do better, short of rushing the passer and blitzing where they're about on par, without the injury concerns and with more focus on him by opposing offenses.[/QUOTE]

My guess is Cush is bigger, faster, stronger. I think he's better in pass defense and better in pursuit. Injuries are always a concern but he seems to be healthy this year. The smart money seems to be on Curry going higher but not sure it's warranted.

giantsfan
12-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Curry's more than a nose better than cushing, he does everything cush can do better, short of rushing the passer and blitzing where they're about on par, without the injury concerns and with more focus on him by opposing offenses.

My guess is Cush is bigger, faster, stronger. I think he's better in pass defense and better in pursuit. Injuries are always a concern but he seems to be healthy this year. The smart money seems to be on Curry going higher but not sure it's warranted.

Really? I think curry's reads plays a lot quicker than Cush, and that's the biggest difference. Curry's a little quicker which helps him in coverage but Cush is a more physical and polished pass rusher, the big difference for me is how well the sort through garbage and read plays and in both of those areas Curry really sticks out in this draft class.

etk
12-10-2008, 09:39 PM

My guess is Cush is bigger, faster, stronger. I think he's better in pass defense and better in pursuit. Injuries are always a concern but he seems to be healthy this year. The smart money seems to be on Curry going higher but not sure it's warranted.[/QUOTE]

Calm down there. Aaron Curry's zone coverage, reads and pursuit angles are unparalleled at his position currently.

Cushing is a smart linebacker and always seems to be in the right position, but he lacks the physical ability (smooth hips and burst, etc.) to keep up with the Currys of the draft.

I think Curry is way more than a nose ahead of Cushing, or any other OLB for that matter. He's the only complete backer in the draft, and I expect his stock to rise similar to Jerod Mayo's last year.

Babylon
12-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Calm down there. Aaron Curry's zone coverage, reads and pursuit angles are unparalleled at his position currently.

Cushing is a smart linebacker and always seems to be in the right position, but he lacks the physical ability (smooth hips and burst, etc.) to keep up with the Currys of the draft.

I think Curry is way more than a nose ahead of Cushing, or any other OLB for that matter. He's the only complete backer in the draft, and I expect his stock to rise similar to Jerod Mayo's last year.[/QUOTE]

So if Cushing is the fastest of all the top linebackers does that change the equation or does it matter to his detractors at this point?

giantsfan
12-10-2008, 11:16 PM
So if Cushing is the fastest of all the top linebackers does that change the equation or does it matter to his detractors at this point?

Cush very well could run a great 40 but I can't imagine him having a better shuffle or cone time.

bigbluedefense
12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Maiava is very good. USC backup LBs have been drafted pretty high, so 1-year starters should have no problem. He's undersized but I saw a good athlete that pursues well to the ball. I think he can profile as a special teams/backup immediately.

USC has at least 5 good linebackers right now, and more last year. That's not to be understated when evaluating these players.

what systems do you see him projecting well into?

etk
12-12-2008, 04:25 PM
what systems do you see him projecting well into?

Let's look and what he can't do (well)

-play SLB or MLB in the NFL
-play in a blitz-heavy scheme

He could play in a base 4-3 defense or a Cover 2. He could stay on the field in nickel and dime situations. He could back up at MLB on a Cover 2/Tampa 2. You want him in a position where he can roam across the field and make tackles. You don't want him head on with blockers or up on the line next to the TE.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2009, 07:15 PM
*denzel washington voice*

my man...:)

diabsoule
01-01-2009, 07:43 PM
*denzel washington voice*

my man...:)

Denzel Washington didn't say that in Training Day

Sniper
01-01-2009, 07:45 PM

What a sweet movie.

KING KONG AIN'T GOT **** ON ME!

Sniper
01-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Defensive MVP of the Rose Bowl.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2009, 08:26 PM

he said it in another movie, im forgetting the name. when he plays a drug dealer from Atlanta. russell crowe is in it.

in Training Day, replace the word man with...well...you know lol.

Comphockey7
01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
American Gangster

bigbluedefense
01-01-2009, 08:51 PM
yeah thats the name of it.

Sniper
01-01-2009, 08:53 PM
he said it in another movie, im forgetting the name. when he plays a drug dealer from Atlanta. russell crowe is in it.

in Training Day, replace the word man with...well...you know lol.

Denzel's character is from North Carolina, FWIW.

energizerbunny
01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I'am kind of shocked he isn't in scott's rankings, he has been a very good player for years now at SC, although he is very overshadowed.

He reminds me alot of Lofa, as many of you draftniks will remember Lofa was thought of as a 5th-7th prospect and the Seahawks shocked the league when they "reached" for him in the 2nd.

Maiava may not have ideal measurables but he will play for years in the league covering kicks early on and eventually cracking a starting lineup.

Smokey Joe
01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I like him as a WILL in a Cover 2.