PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on Laurinaitis

DeathbyStat
12-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Can someone please tell me how Laurinatis is better than both Aaron Curry or Rey Maualuga?

Can someone sell me on this guy?

I just don't buy into him at all as a top draft choice

djp
12-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't either.

But, most people point to his instincts and intangibles on the field.

That's about it that stands out to me when watching him. He's no different physically than any of the other top LBs. In fact, I think he'll time slower than the other top tier LBs.

Pokeys
12-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't know if theres anything to sell he looks like a Bobby Carpenter clone to me. Thats not a good thing.

Zyro_1014
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Pile Jumper!!! :)

Matthew Jones
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
He makes more plays than Maualuga - Rey just doesn't have the production you look for. Rey is a more intimidating presence but a la Roy Williams that's usually not a substitute for making tackles and ending plays. Laurinaitis is a better leader and more cerebral player. He does a much better job in coverage and his technique is far superior - he wraps up, Maualuga goes for big hits (and sometimes misses.) Laurinaitis looks much more natural in coverage and is a much, much more polished player. I'd say Rey could potentially be better in a 3-4, but as far as the floor goes, James has about as high a floor as you could ask for. I won't argue with Curry > Laurinaitis because I am not sure how I feel on that, but am leaning towards Curry being better.

iowatreat54
12-03-2008, 01:54 PM
From what I've heard, he likes to jump on piles...of dudes.

Babylon
12-03-2008, 01:58 PM
He makes more plays than Maualuga - Rey just doesn't have the production you look for. Rey is a more intimidating presence but a la Roy Williams that's usually not a substitute for making tackles and ending plays. Laurinaitis is a better leader and more cerebral player. He does a much better job in coverage and his technique is far superior - he wraps up, Maualuga goes for big hits (and sometimes misses.) Laurinaitis looks much more natural in coverage and is a much, much more polished player. I'd say Rey could potentially be better in a 3-4, but as far as the floor goes, James has about as high a floor as you could ask for. I won't argue with Curry > Laurinaitis because I am not sure how I feel on that, but am leaning towards Curry being better.

Good call there. I think JL reminds me of a Barrett Ruud. A smart guy who is going to make a lot of plays, some of the big play variety. Curry i think is more of an OLB type so i don't see that comparison. I think the OLB crop with Cushing, Curry, Herzlich and Sintum is the strength of the defensive positions. As for JL vs Rey Rey i'll take JL.

bored of education
12-03-2008, 02:00 PM
zomgzzzzzzzzzz he cannot shed a block and just jumps on piles and stuff

Sniper
12-03-2008, 02:08 PM
From what I've heard, he likes to jump on piles...of dudes.

It's true.

I believe it was P-L who originally posted something like this, but his % of assisted tackles is ridiculous. This year, 38% of his tackles are solo. 38%! By comparison, Curry had 62% solo tackles.

Pile Jumper indeed.

Shane P. Hallam
12-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Good call there. I think JL reminds me of a Barrett Ruud. A smart guy who is going to make a lot of plays, some of the big play variety. Curry i think is more of an OLB type so i don't see that comparison. I think the OLB crop with Cushing, Curry, Herzlich and Sintum is the strength of the defensive positions. As for JL vs Rey Rey i'll take JL.

That's a fairly apt comparison. As an OSU fan, I was down on JL after reading all the hate, and yes, the last few years he had some luck.

This year though, JL improved leaps and bounds. Why is he a top guy? Because the things he is good at are the things you really can't teach. Great instincts, a playmaker who has the athleticism to get in the air and make things happen, and one of the best cover MLBs recently in college football.

This year, he has really improved at shedding blocks and getting clean hits to stop runners. He is one of those guys who "smarks" will knock down, but scouts will still love, he'll get drafted high and have a solid impact at least.

Sniper
12-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I must admit he is rather good in pass coverage though.

illmatic74
12-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I agree with the Barret Rudd comparison. Lauranatis also is great at running through traffic.

DeathbyStat
12-03-2008, 02:12 PM
For what its worth I feel that Aaron Curry is the best linebacker prospect and I don't feel its close

Shane P. Hallam
12-03-2008, 02:14 PM
It's true.

I believe it was P-L who originally posted something like this, but his % of assisted tackles is ridiculous. This year, 38% of his tackles are solo. 38%! By comparison, Curry had 62% solo tackles.

Pile Jumper indeed.

Which is fine, people can claim that all they want, but it doesn't set aside two points:

1. Why don't other linebackers do the same thing to rack up stats? JL is always around the ball for a reason I imagine or else everyone in the country would go for the assisted tackles, right?

2. Plenty of players (on major BCS teams,) have had inflated stats and gotten knocked by scouts for one reason or another, sending them down boards. There is a reason I imagine Laurinaitis is still a Top 15 pick right now.

Before this year, I was very skeptical (as I usually am with players on my own team,) but I'm buying into him being an impact player now. I'd still take Maualuga first, but yeah.

Bruce Banner
12-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't know if theres anything to sell he looks like a Bobby Carpenter clone to me. Thats not a good thing.

ZOMG!

beer girl!

DoWnThEfiElD
12-03-2008, 02:24 PM
For what its worth I feel that Aaron Curry is the best linebacker prospect and I don't feel its close

I'm partial to Brandon Spikes myself.

Babylon
12-03-2008, 02:26 PM

He was non existant against Boston College but i know he'll go failry high based on his phyical ability. I think if you're looking at an OLB that can get to the QB and cover then Mark Herzlich is clearly the best out there.

Geo
12-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Curry is the best linebacker in the Draft, he's the total package although I wouldn't put him exactly on par with AJ Hawk or Patrick Willis. Just shy of that.

Laurinaitis is a coverage guy, and Maualuga is a thumper.

Sniper
12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Which is fine, people can claim that all they want, but it doesn't set aside two points:

1. Why don't other linebackers do the same thing to rack up stats? JL is always around the ball for a reason I imagine or else everyone in the country would go for the assisted tackles, right?

Not if they're already making the solo tackles ;)

Bruce Banner
12-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm liking Spikes.

Babylon
12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
This seems like a good year for linbackers, if the juniors come out i'm looking at 6 1st rounders and possibly one or two could bleed over to the top of round 2, which is going to make teams like the Rams and Lions very happy.

bored of education
12-03-2008, 03:11 PM
How well was Urlacher at shedding blocks in college, I remember watching videos of him and HE SUCKED BALLS!

I am not saying James is Brian. But he comapres to Brian in that he is around the ball more so than any other prospect I have seen in a long time and great coverage wise.

Turtlepower
12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
zomgzzzzzzzzzz he cannot shed a block and just jumps on piles and stuff

Back to the pile!

http://www.vladville.com/media/southpark101_2D771689.jpg

ThePudge
12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I agree, of course, with JBond. I like Lauriniatis more than I like Maualuga, where I agree with RavenOfProphecy. Those two opinions are closest to my own. Still, I will elaborate.

First and foremost, let me say that Aaron Curry is a tremendous prospect and Laurinaitis does not strike me as close to as good and I'm an Ohio State fan. That's not to say Laurinaitis is not a great player, but Curry is a Top 5-10 player in my mind.

The most popular stat I hear is that of his solo tackles vs. assisted. Either way, he's around the ball and that's what makes him special. As JBond said, what you have to like about Lauriniaitis is he has those football instincts, that nose for the ball, the ability to deliver a big hit, intensity, and is rather physcially gifted. Basically, James has those things you can't teach. Could he improve shedding blocks and flow to the ball a bit faster, of course. Still, you have to believe he can come in anywhere and play right away. He's good in coverage and puts himself in position to make plays. He's a raw blitzer, but he brings intensity and speed every time, striking fear into opposing quarterbacks. You have to believe Laurinaitis is the one player on the Ohio State defense that the quarterback takes into account on every play, whether he likes it or not. His reputation would lead you to believe he's a Top 3 pick, though that isn't the case. I like him, though as a Top 15 pick, right around 12-18 sounds about right. With San Diego and Jacksonville in need of a Middle Linebacker right around that area, I think it's fairly safe to say a big slide is unlikely. I don't think his stock will slip from now until then either, he may not be a physical freak, but he's a fine specimen at almost 6'3 240 and running roughly a 4.6. A good player, a very good prospect whether you like him or not. I think he would be a very good 4-3 MLB, as well as 3-4 ILB, and he could also play WLB in a 4-3. There is plenty of room for improvement, but as I said before, it can be taught.

Maualuga is definitely an intimidator and a play-maker, however in terms of coverage and play-making ability, he comes in a bit below Laurinaitis. I like the idea of cutting him loose in a 3-4 system and he can be an absolute terror. His timed speed is going to be below Laurinaitis' and Curry's but he tends to play like a man on fire at times with intensity and power. He is raw though, despite all the national attention. Still, he's a big, strong, intense backer with good game speed. As far as the linebacker who needs the most improvement, that would be him. A Top 20-25 value in my opinion, though a team will likely take a chance on him a bit earlier.

As for Aaron Curry, I believe he's in a league of his own. At 6'3 247, he's a big guy, he's athletic, and he's a complete player. He excels in coverage, he's a great tackler, and he has those football instincts you love. He's a true play-maker who is underrated by many fans. Many see him as a Top 15 pick, but I don't think he'll get outside the Top 8 picks or so. He's experienced, he has the ideal physical attributes, and he's been a highly decorated linebacker. I am a Bengals fan and I like him more as a prospect than both Keith Rivers and Jerod Mayo, last year's top backers. Curry could play any linebacker position and will likely make more of an immediate impact than any LB in this class. Right now, with my Bengals sitting with a likely Top 3 pick, Curry is my favorite of the possibilities though he may not be the most popular yet.

bored of education
12-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Back to the pile!

http://www.vladville.com/media/southpark101_2D771689.jpg

omg is that you dad?

gameplaya2435
12-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I remember seeing a play this year, Laurinitis bit on the play action, fell down, then got up and the QB ran into him. +1 tackle!

ThePudge
12-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I remember seeing a play this year, Laurinitis bit on the play action, fell down, then got up and the QB ran into him. +1 tackle!

That's exactly how he recorded over 300 career tackles. Running backs and Quarterbacks have a habit of simply running into him over 100 times per year. Well put sir, impressive insight.

Sniper
12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
That's exactly how he recorded over 300 career tackles. Running backs and Quarterbacks have a habit of simply running into him over 100 times per year. Well put sir, impressive insight.

They run at him 40 times, and the other 60 someone does the dirty work and he jumps on the pile! :D

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 06:43 PM
i wont sell you on him. hes better than maaluga though. not as good as curry. hes a mid rds talent at best who will be limited by scheme he can play in which will eliminate him for many teams. i think hell be picked around the same area as dan connor

Shane P. Hallam
12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
i wont sell you on him. hes better than maaluga though. not as good as curry. hes a mid rds talent at best who will be limited by scheme he can play in which will eliminate him for many teams. i think hell be picked around the same area as dan connor

He will time better than Connor, he has been more productive in all realms of college football than Connor, he has better ball skills and coverage skills than Connor. I think JL is safe as a first day pick at least.

AkiliSmith
12-03-2008, 06:52 PM

There's no way he falls out of the first round.

I know he is overrated because he's not 6'8 320 and runs a 4.3, but I think any scheme in the NFL will take him.

Zyro_1014
12-03-2008, 07:00 PM
There's no way he falls out of the first round.

I know he is overrated because he's not 6'8 320 and runs a 4.3, but I think any scheme in the NFL will take him.

im not sure how well he would do in a 3-4...

Babylon
12-03-2008, 07:14 PM
He's definitely a 1st day pick. What may help slide him and other LBs down a bit is the deep depth considering the juniors that could declare. Guys like Spikes and Herzlich could make this a group that could bleed over into round 2.Teams like Detroit and St Louis might want to consider this when approaching their 1st pick. I would also add that great depth at OL could factor in that type of approach also.

draftguru151
12-03-2008, 07:18 PM
He will time better than Connor, he has been more productive in all realms of college football than Connor, he has better ball skills and coverage skills than Connor. I think JL is safe as a first day pick at least.

The biggest concern I remember with Connor was the issue of him being a 2 down LB, which JL obviously isn't. He has his issues but there aren't many backers that can cover as much space as him. I like Spikes more than him but I'd probably take JL over Rey.

ThePudge
12-03-2008, 07:19 PM
im not sure how well he would do in a 3-4...

What makes you think he wouldn't be fine in a 3-4 system? His football instincts are top notch and he has a nose for the ball. I assume, appearing to be a USC fan, that you think Maualuga is the more versatile and talented player. I just have to disagree with that, as I've seen more out of James as a football player and athlete than I have Rey.

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
i ust think his lack of fit in a lot of schemes coupled with average measurables and that hes not a physical player and is a read and react lb who has to stay clean to be effective ust equals 2nd day. example, he couldnt play at the required level in the 3-4. hes not a mlb and hes not one of those in vogue blitzing lb types. i just see few places for him. its easy to see in the games. and i know surely hes even smasller and slower than advertised now. i saw on anothere thread poeple not being afraid of 4. 6 crabtree and i guess hes outrunning crabtree i dont think. hes ust an average to below average nfl talent

HawkeyeFan
12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Can he play SLB or MLB?

I guess I don't know anything about him rather than he's pretty darn good.

Sniper
12-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Can he play SLB or MLB?

I guess I don't know anything about him rather than he's pretty darn good.

WLB is his best bet in the pros.

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
if you think it will be good for your mlb to get engulfed by blockers and miss tackles i guess he could play. nowhere near physical enough. misses too many tackles

Babylon
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
i ust think his lack of fit in a lot of schemes coupled with average measurables and that hes not a physical player and is a read and react lb who has to stay clean to be effective ust equals 2nd day. example, he couldnt play at the required level in the 3-4. hes not a mlb and hes not one of those in vogue blitzing lb types. i just see few places for him. its easy to see in the games. and i know surely hes even smasller and slower than advertised now. i saw on anothere thread poeple not being afraid of 4. 6 crabtree and i guess hes outrunning crabtree i dont think. hes ust an average to below average nfl talent

Try to put a coherant thought together once in awhile. The guy can play any linebacker position with his talent so just stop babbling on (that's my job).

Hey you must be slipping you haven't bashed an SC player in like 24 hours.

HawkeyeFan
12-03-2008, 07:44 PM
WLB is his best bet in the pros.

Darn.

Please tell me Aaron Curry is a sLB?

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 07:49 PM
dude he wouldnt see the field for the pittsburgh steelers ever. thats how "talented " he is. maybe special teams, but probably not

Paranoidmoonduck
12-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I love Laurinaitis as a Cover 2 middle linebacker, but I'm not sure if I like him for too much else. He could probably handle a WLB spot on a team that doesn't blitz too much (Green Bay?).

Sniper
12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
dude he wouldnt see the field for the pittsburgh steelers ever. thats how "talented " he is. maybe special teams, but probably not

You probably said the same thing about LaMarr Woodley when the Steelers drafted him.

too slow. too small. sucks ass. wont ever plya a dwno fur the sttillers

Sniper
12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Darn.

Please tell me Aaron Curry is a sLB?

Aaron Curry is a whatever the hell he wants to be.

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 07:53 PM
laurinitis=woodley. right

HawkeyeFan
12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Aaron Curry is a whatever the hell he wants to be.

Next Great LB?

Sniper
12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
laurinitis=woodley. right

Not at all, just saying what you probably said.

Laurinaitis isn't everything Brent Musburger makes him out to be, but he's definitely a decent player.

ThePudge
12-03-2008, 07:58 PM

There's a distinct chance that I am dumber having read that. Your football intelligence, or lack thereof, baffles me. At 6'3 240, how you could question his physcial traits is beyond me. Even if he measures poorly, which would mean he measured at the shortest 6'2 roughly 240, he would still be considered a played with good to great size. If your amateur (at best) opinion is so sure that he is not as big as advertised, go to Ohio State and stand next to the guy without pads on. I have. Let me tell you, he is not small. The chances of him measuring at below 6016 or so are very low, and the chances of him weighing in at any less than 237 or so is also slim. I am 6'4 and I didn't have much on the guy height wise though he probably won't measure at 6'3. He's unbelievably dedicated to the weight room and should put up great numbers in the bench. He's fairly fast, and has just gotten faster. He's not as fast as AJ Hawk, but he should run about a 4.65. Since he will never need to line up in one on one coverage against Michael Crabtree, I don't see why he would need to outrun him.

You say he's not a Middle Linebacker. I beg to differ. As it stands right now, he is a MLB, an All-American Middle Linebacker! He has tremendous football intelligence and dedication to the game. Can he play on the weak-side? Absolutely. That is where he started his career.

keylime_5
12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I love Laurinaitis as a Cover 2 middle linebacker, but I'm not sure if I like him for too much else. He could probably handle a WLB spot on a team that doesn't blitz too much (Green Bay?).

on a tampa two he'd be an outside backer, probably a Will who makes the plays, not the guy who covers the seam in all that space in the middle of the field.. That's what a couple experts tell me anyways.

Sniper
12-03-2008, 08:01 PM
There's a distinct chance that I am dumber having read that.

Correct. I mean, you go to Ohio State, you don't need any help getting dumber! :D

Since he will never need to line up in one on one coverage against Michael Crabtree, I don't see why he would need to outrun him.

Better hope Laurinaitis doesn't get drafted by the Seahawks then...

Paranoidmoonduck
12-03-2008, 08:02 PM
on a tampa two he'd be an outside backer, probably a Will who makes the plays, not the guy who covers the seam in all that space in the middle of the field.. That's what a couple experts tell me anyways.

Why is that? He has great range and watches quarterbacks really well. Seems to me that he'd be perfect dropping back 10 yards or so and holding down that space. Not to say he couldn't play the flats as an OLB, but I like him more down the field.

Sniper
12-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Why is that? He has great range and watches quarterbacks really well. Seems to me that he'd be perfect dropping back 10 yards or so and holding down that space. Not to say he couldn't play the flats as an OLB, but I like him more down the field.

He's going to need some badass DTs. He'd be a great fit in Minnesota.

ThePudge
12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Correct. I mean, you go to Ohio State, you don't need any help getting dumber! :D

Almost haha... I'm from Philly and at Ohio University.

Sniper
12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Almost haha... I'm from Philly and at Ohio University.

Eh, my bad. Still, being in the state of Ohio is bad enough.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
He's going to need some badass DTs. He'd be a great fit in Minnesota.

Not if his first step is going to be backwards. Laurinaitis won't be any more of a liability in run defense than someone like Gary Brackett would be.

P-L
12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Interesting. I think Laurinaitis would be a better outside linebacker than middle linebacker, except for the Tampa-2.

jetsfan0099
12-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Some Jets fans want this guy. How would he fare in a 3-4 ILB? We have problems with covering TEs right now. Would he be a good pair up with David Harris?

AkiliSmith
12-03-2008, 09:39 PM
if you think it will be good for your mlb to get engulfed by blockers and miss tackles i guess he could play. nowhere near physical enough. misses too many tackles
Well he has averaged 119 tackles a season in his 3 years as a starter. I'm curious as to how many tackles you think he would have had if he didn't miss any.

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 09:40 PM
or if he didnt get credited with tackles when hes 3rd man in

illmatic74
12-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Some Jets fans want this guy. How would he fare in a 3-4 ILB? We have problems with covering TEs right now. Would he be a good pair up with David Harris? He is not a 3-4 ILB.

Zyro_1014
12-03-2008, 09:49 PM
He is not a 3-4 ILB.

no doubt, he has no chance in that scheme

AkiliSmith
12-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Yes the statisticians have a man crush on him and only pick him to give extra tackles to.

I bet they pad his interceptions, sacks and passes defended as well. Your right though, I've never seen him make a solo tackle in his career, and I have watched just about every game he's ever been in.

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 09:53 PM
absolutely true. hes "marketable".people watch they get ratings. check this stat. check the ratio of total tackles to solo tackles of the top nfl tacklers or even college tacklers. then check laurinitis ratio of solos to total tackles. when you have a high # of total tackles and a low ratio of solos. that means youre getting credited with lots of 3rd man in credit

giantsfan
12-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Some Jets fans want this guy. How would he fare in a 3-4 ILB? We have problems with covering TEs right now. Would he be a good pair up with David Harris?

Was Jonathon Vilma?

jetsfan0099
12-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Was Jonathon Vilma?

Thats my answer to some people, but they would say James is nothing like Vilma.. So I don't know... haha.....

STARHEATHER
12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
ill do it for you. laurinitis has 46 solos and 75 asssited. pat willis has 86 solos and 25 assisted. scott mckillop has 76 solo and 37 assists. theyre padding him big time no doubt the #s dont lie. hes a second man in tackler

ThePudge
12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
ill do it for you. laurinitis has 46 solos and 75 asssited. pat willis has 86 solos and 25 assisted. scott mckillop has 76 solo and 37 assists. theyre padding him big time no doubt the #s dont lie. hes a second man in tackler

In 2005, Northwestern had a Linebacker by the name of Tim McGarigle. He had over 150 tackles his senior season, the majority of them solo tackles. Is he on the Pro Bowl ballot? Hm, no. Is he producing in the NFL? Hm... no. Is he even starting? No, no he isn't. So does the number of solo tackles he has make Scott McKillop a better prospect than James Laurinaitis? No, no it doesn't.

Babylon
12-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Starheather is Sniper26?

draftguru151
12-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Starheather is Sniper26?

Nah, starheather mentions something about what a player does on the field along with the crappy stats.

CashmoneyDrew
12-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Starheather is Sniper26?

Starheather is Njx.

giantsfan
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Starheather is Njx.

njx isn't smart enough to pull of what starheather does none of as are, in fact we're so in awe we can't even realize we are in awe.

Shane P. Hallam
12-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Interesting. I think Laurinaitis would be a better outside linebacker than middle linebacker, except for the Tampa-2.

Yeah, I think he'd be a great Tampa 2 ILB.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Nah, starheather mentions something about what a player does on the field along with the crappy stats.

What's Laurinaitis' YPC!?

bored of education
12-04-2008, 07:55 AM

that made me laugh alot.

Lil Animal FTW

STARHEATHER
12-04-2008, 06:55 PM
because hes not 6 3 240 and he doesnt run 4.5. find a tape of him standing next to vernon gholstin whos combine height was exactly 6 3. do you really think he weighs more than beanie. see thyis is always the issue. frauds lies and hype and you fall hook line and sinker. this is why we get chris long picked 2nd overall. so hes 6 1 3/4 and 230 lbs and will run in the 4.7 area. that smells exactly like dan connor. and on top of that hes soft and misses too many tackles. remember percentage of solo tackles to total tackles at the nfl level is about 80 %. the top college tacklers come in around 60%. laurinitis is coming in at 30%. one of 3 things is happening. hes holding guys up for the rest of the team because he cant make tackles himself. 2 hes the 2nd man in more often than not as opposed to making plays himself. 3. hes given credit for tackles hes not making by tv statisticians interested in finding players that their target audience will watch. im sorry but a soft non physical 6 1 230 lbs mid level athlete who misses tackles isnt what i want in my linebacker. i remember so vividly he was listed 6 4 250 and i saw him standing next to gholstin and i knew it was a PR department fraud.

P-L
12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
This isn't directed to anyone in particular but:

Why, according to this board, can you not think someone is overrated but still think their a good player? I swear half of the people on this board replace the word "overrated" with "bad" in their minds. Here is a definition of overrated:

"to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate"

It's that simple. I think Laurinaitis is overrated, I do NOT think he's bad. Would I touch him in the top half of the first round? No, not a chance. Would I draft him if I needed a linebacker and was picking in the 25-40 range? In an instant.

I've already posted my criticisms of Laurinatis in another thread, I don't feel like explaining them again. However, I really feel he should be a weakside linebacker in the NFL, unless he goes to a team running the Tampa-2. Moving him to the weakside will play to his strengths and minimize his flaws. But maybe that's just me.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-04-2008, 09:30 PM
P-L, how dare you hate on the haters, you hateful hater.

Sniper
12-04-2008, 09:34 PM
It's that simple. I think Laurinaitis is overrated, I do NOT think he's bad. Would I touch him in the top half of the first round? No, not a chance. Would I draft him if I needed a linebacker and was picking in the 25-40 range? In an instant.

That's what I was going for. I may be the biggest Laurinaitis hater on this board (second, actually, to STARHEATHER), but the man can play. I just don't think he's top 15, like most others say he is. But I do think he'd be a great value pick in the mid 20s onward.

STARHEATHER
12-05-2008, 08:25 PM
ive said multiple times id pick him after rd 4. popular good citizen good leader. will sell jerseys.decent enough player to contribute st and spot/situational duty. but put him out there as a starter its not going to be pretty. hes ust not the freakish athlete or football player on the field hes made out to be. on a good defense hes a second teamer. you just cant waste first day picks on sure fire second teamers. there are just too many good players available at that point to waste a pick on laurinitis. i dont hate him. i just hate him as a high pick. 4th rd or later could be nice value.

Zyro_1014
12-05-2008, 09:13 PM
ive said multiple times id pick him after rd 4. popular good citizen good leader. will sell jerseys.decent enough player to contribute st and spot/situational duty. but put him out there as a starter its not going to be pretty. hes ust not the freakish athlete or football player on the field hes made out to be. on a good defense hes a second teamer. you just cant waste first day picks on sure fire second teamers. there are just too many good players available at that point to waste a pick on laurinitis. i dont hate him. i just hate him as a high pick. 4th rd or later could be nice value.

wow, im sorry. i dont like Laurenitis either but the guy is a pretty good football player.

STARHEATHER
12-05-2008, 09:16 PM
pretty good college football players get picked after 4th rd. you just have to dominate for me at the college level consistently. if you cant youre not going to prosper at the nfl level. i watched 2 laurinitis games ohio and sc and that was the end. if he was picked in rd 4 maybe decent value.

Menardo75
12-06-2008, 03:03 AM
This isn't directed to anyone in particular but:

Why, according to this board, can you not think someone is overrated but still think their a good player? I swear half of the people on this board replace the word "overrated" with "bad" in their minds. Here is a definition of overrated:

"to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate"

I've already posted my criticisms of Laurinatis in another thread, I don't feel like explaining them again. However, I really feel he should be a weakside linebacker in the NFL, unless he goes to a team running the Tampa-2. Moving him to the weakside will play to his strengths and minimize his flaws. But maybe that's just me.

Sounds like someone is drinkin the Haterade over there.

Seriously Heather if you can't read your last post and not know why people don't take you seriously there is no help for you.

Bruce Banner
12-06-2008, 04:19 AM
ive said multiple times id pick him after rd 4.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/1/C/clinton_laughing.jpg