PDA

View Full Version : Sean Smith, CB, Utah

thebow305
12-03-2008, 02:29 PM
What is the general consensus on this guy from the true draftniks of Draft Countdown? From what I have seen of him, he is a legit NFL prospect. No one on here talks about him, but he is probably one of the top defensive back prospects for the upcoming draft if he decides to declare (he is a junior). 6'2" 215 lbs with legit 4.4 speed and compares favorably to Nmandi Asomugha. If he declares I could see him challenging Jenkins and Davis as the top corner and will undoubtedly pass Alphonso Smith as the 3rd best corner at the very least.

Thoughts on him?

Yatta!
12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27170

thebow305
12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Check out this pick he had against Wyoming about a month or so ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9M2w9m320k

Just awesome...

12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Special athletes like these usually have a way of sniffing the first round one way or another (see Michael Johnson) but I think it will take more than just measurables and maybe a few flashes in the offseason workouts / combine for this lesser unknown to crack that mark. Even if he declares he's no more than a solid second round value at this point, imo.

SuperKevin
12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I think if Smith declares he's in the top 35-40 picks or so. He has great size and ball skills with deceptive speed. The only real knock one can have on Sean Smith is that some view him as a CB/S tweener because of his height and ballhawking ability.

I expect him to declare with Utah at it's peak right now and I feel if he does it soon enough it can cause a ripple effect where other fringe CBs might choose to return to school. If not then this will be one of the deepest CB classes ever.

CashmoneyDrew
12-03-2008, 04:01 PM
If not then this will be one of the deepest CB classes ever.

That's really good for the Titans.

SuperKevin
12-03-2008, 04:03 PM

Seriously you have Malcolm Jenkins, Alphonso Smith, Mike Mickens, and Darius Butler as all potential 1st round seniors.

Add in DJ Moore, Vontae Davis, Trevard Lindley, Sean Smith, Captain Munnerlyn, and Asher Allen as potential underclassmen that can be first rounders

CashmoneyDrew
12-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Seriously you have Malcolm Jenkins, Alphonso Smith, Mike Mickens, and Darius Butler as all potential 1st round seniors.

Add in DJ Moore, Vontae Davis, Trevard Lindley, Sean Smith, Captain Munnerlyn, and Asher Allen as potential underclassmen that can be first rounders

He shall be a titan or all shall perish.

thebow305
12-04-2008, 12:05 AM

And the Dolphins...

thebow305
12-04-2008, 12:07 AM
I think if Smith declares he's in the top 35-40 picks or so. He has great size and ball skills with deceptive speed. The only real knock one can have on Sean Smith is that some view him as a CB/S tweener because of his height and ballhawking ability.

I expect him to declare with Utah at it's peak right now and I feel if he does it soon enough it can cause a ripple effect where other fringe CBs might choose to return to school. If not then this will be one of the deepest CB classes ever.

Very true... If the Dolphins made the playoffs and were between the 22-26 range, I would not mind taking Sean Smith as a big potential ballhawking corner. Our secondary is in big need of an upgrade and whether it's at safety or corner, this guy could help out big time. I would put him as the #3 corner behind only Davis and Jenkins if he declares.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-04-2008, 01:14 AM
If the underclassmen we all think will come out, this is a deep draft in general in that 15-50 range. The number of potential #1 corners that could available in that span is a bit staggering. I love Malcolm Jenkins, Alphonso Smith, and Sean Smith and it's hard to deny the physical ability of guys like Vontae Davis and DJ Moore.

Like I said, it's hard to find something wrong with Sean Smith. He's big and has great hips for his size. I'm not sure the Asomugha comparison is fully deserved, but then again Asomugha wasn't really considered a fantastic corner in college (considering how much safety he played at Cal). In a weak draft, I'd say he had a shot at the top 20. In this draft, I have to measure myself a little bit more, but I will say that he's got as good a shot as any to be the second cornerback selected.

SuperKevin
12-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Very true... If the Dolphins made the playoffs and were between the 22-26 range, I would not mind taking Sean Smith as a big potential ballhawking corner. Our secondary is in big need of an upgrade and whether it's at safety or corner, this guy could help out big time. I would put him as the #3 corner behind only Davis and Jenkins if he declares.

I think he'd be a bad fit in Miami because he's a similar player to what they have in Jason Allen. Mike Mickens would probably be a better shut down corner at that point