PDA

View Full Version : Mike Teel

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-04-2008, 10:24 PM
After his brutal start to the season, Teel has played terrific as of late. Will his late season performance be enough to get someone to take a late round flier on? Or do to the potentially weak senior quarterback class is their a possibilty that he could sneak into the middle rounds?

Giantsfan1080
12-04-2008, 10:27 PM
After his brutal start to the season, Teel has played terrific as of late. Will his late season performance be enough to get someone to take a late round flier on? Or do to the potentially weak senior quarterback class is their a possibilty that he could sneak into the middle rounds?

After his 2nd round finish I can possibly see someone using a 7th round pick on him. He has the body and arm but I just don't think he's going to be any good in the NFL. He makes a lot of poor decisions that will really kill him in the NFL.

CashmoneyDrew
12-04-2008, 10:41 PM
With how weak the senior QB class is, and how few underclassmen QB's I think will declare I could definitely see a team using a 5th or 6th rounder on him.

SKim172
12-04-2008, 10:46 PM
When he's hot, he's hot.

Really hot.

Final numbers, 21-for-26, 447 yards, 7 TDs. He could've gone for another, but they pulled him in the 4th quarter in the red zone.

And it wasn't just that the receivers were wide open (though they were quite often). His accuracy was on fire. James seemed shocked, kept bringing it up. The 74-yd TD to Tim Brown was against good coverage - DB had his hands all over him. The ball caught Tim Brown on the fly, at full speed, on the sideline, right over the left shoulder. Right shoulder, and that ball's knocked away. As Palmer said, "The only possible place he could've caught it."

He was very comfortable in the pocket and I think that's where it clicked together. I posted before that I think Teel's problems come from a desire to just chuck the ball and get the ball out quick. In fact, the only bad drive of the night, the 3-and-out in the 1st, he showed some of that - backed up on the goal line, still threw accurate passes, but didn't take time to read the field and couldn't notch the first down.

But then he was just relaxing back there. Even when he felt pressure, he was sliding around in the pocket, still reading the field - the two shovel passes to Robinson from a collapsing pocket being prime examples. (Ok, James does talk about RU, so my witty remark doesn't apply).

These moments of brilliance, they show Teel has the tools and could succeed in the NFL. Someone needs to find the switch that turns it all on.

He may have won himself a priority free agent phone call or maybe even a 7th-round draft pick. His TD-int ratio is suddenly improved.

Giantsfan1080
12-04-2008, 10:48 PM
When he's hot, he's hot.

Really hot.

Final numbers, 21-for-26, 447 yards, 7 TDs. He could've gone for another, but they pulled him in the 4th quarter in the red zone.

And it wasn't just that the receivers were wide open (though they were quite often). His accuracy was on fire. Doug Flutie seemed shocked, kept bringing it up. The 74-yd TD to Tim Brown was against good coverage - DB had his hands all over him. The ball caught Tim Brown on the fly, at full speed, on the sideline, right over the left shoulder. Right shoulder, and that ball's knocked away. As Flutie said, "The only possible place he could've caught it."

He was very comfortable in the pocket and I think that's where it clicked together. I posted before that I think Teel's problems come from a desire to just chuck the ball and get the ball out quick. In fact, the only bad drive of the night, the 3-and-out in the 1st, he showed some of that - backed up on the goal line, still threw accurate passes, but didn't take time to read the field and couldn't notch the first down.

But then he was just relaxing back there. Even when he felt pressure, he was sliding around in the pocket, still reading the field - the two shovel passes to Robinson from a collapsing pocket being prime examples. He was just so smooth evading pressure and reading the field - again, so much that even Flutie commented on it. And seriously, when Flutie's doing an RU game, he never talks about the game. Never.

These moments of brilliance, they show Teel has the tools and could succeed in the NFL. Someone needs to find the switch that turns it all on.

He may have won himself a priority free agent phone call or maybe even a 7th-round draft pick. His TD-int ratio is suddenly improved.

Flutie didn't announce the game tonight. It was Fowler, Palmer, and James.

SKim172
12-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Flutie didn't announce the game tonight. It was Fowler, Palmer, and James.

Well, that's embarrassing.

For some reason I confuse Craig James and Flutie. Mainly because they were absolutely horrible together last year and I took to calling them 'Chris Fowler and the Two Morons."

James has the southern accent, Doug's the short one. Got it.

Don Vito
12-04-2008, 11:06 PM
He has really been on his game lately, but he is so inconsistent. He definitely has some ability though, I wouldn't be suprised if someone took a flyer on him. He has had some solid players around him during his time at Rutgers but what might hurt him most is the inconsistency against defenses I wouldn't consider too spectacular. I don't see him doing much in the NFL.

the_legend_killer
12-04-2008, 11:07 PM
As I said in this Teal thread
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27093

I think he'll get a look someplace and maybe fit onto someone's practice squad, but not much else.

underscore
12-05-2008, 05:31 AM
He's listed at 6'4, I'd be very curious to see what he officially measures in at come workout time.

SuperKevin
12-05-2008, 05:50 AM
I find it troubling that he managed to struggle at all this year despite having Kenny Britt, Tiquan Underwood, and Tim Brown. Didn't Britt go like 5 games before getting his first TD?

bored of education
12-05-2008, 07:46 AM
6-7 rounder, kid can play when he wants to.

I think he has a Trent Green/Hasselbeck type career where he will spend 4-5 years on the bench getting time here and there with some solid games which will elicit him starter time somewhere else. But I have been wrong.

Jonny
12-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I find it troubling that he managed to struggle at all this year despite having Kenny Britt, Tiquan Underwood, and Tim Brown. Didn't Britt go like 5 games before getting his first TD?

Underwood was dropping everything early this year.

illmatic74
12-05-2008, 09:50 AM
If I was picking late in the draft. I would take a Cantwell, Brandstater or Tell over a Daniel or Harrel because their flaws are more fixable.

josh07039
12-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Last night just showed why anyone thinks he can be a pro qb. He was able to make multiple big time throws and really showed a strong arm and even accuracy on the deep ball. I think if he does well in a bowl and a post season all star game he may get drafted in the 6th or 7th. As down on him as i've been, he is still a successful qb from a pro style system with good size and a good arm. If he gets a good qb coach, he could make an adequate backup.

ThePudge
12-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Worth a late round pick on upside and experience. Will really be something to watch in the post-season. He's in a very weak class and it won't take all too much to move past some guys. Still, I'm not sure I see an NFL future for Teel.

scottyboy
12-05-2008, 03:52 PM
I think he found himself being drafted with lat night game. Shows he can make throws and some reads and that kid is a winner. 4 straight bowl games for RU...

He's got an arm(at times, his arm strength is inconsistand which confuses the **** out of me) but his accuracy and decisions are SOOOO hot and cold

Larry121283
12-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Someone will definitely grab this guy. He is super streaky, but he fits that pocket QB that lots of teams like.

Round 5-7, methinks.

Also, I caught up on Rutgers/Pitt game I had on the TiVo last weekend plus saw the Army game, and I gotta be honest, I like the cut of this Kenny Britt's jib. Tiquan Underwood looked good last night...the last time I watched TU he was Troy Williamson redux, just dropping everything. But this Britt cat, I like'em.

josh07039
12-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Britt is the truth and Underwood will hopefully wind up getting drafted like Williamson by running fast at the combine but not turn into him in the nfl.

Menardo75
12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Seriously if Alex Brink can get drafted then Mike Teel can.