PDA

View Full Version : Crabtree says he is staying

abaddon41_80
12-05-2008, 07:12 AM
I don't know if this has been posted yet and while you can't usually trust these guys this early...

http://www.redraiders.com/?p=4154

Smokey Joe
12-05-2008, 07:26 AM
we'll see about that.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Again give me someone so far who has said they are leaving.

wicket
12-05-2008, 07:42 AM
well with harell gone i dont think his draft stock will go up anytime soon, certainly with most of that offensive line also graduating. If he wants to make big money he should leave, but its nice to see a pro prospect not purely motivated by that.

Number 10
12-05-2008, 07:55 AM
McCoy said the same thing.

McCoy handed in papers with the NFL Draft Advisory to see where his stock currently is.

bored of education
12-05-2008, 07:58 AM
They will say they are staying until they hear from the Advisory that they will be a 2nd rounder or better.

Yatta!
12-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Another article with Crabtree's dad. He says that he was surprised by his sons comments and thought that the family were leaning towards him declaring.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/120508dnspotechrup.35aedfc.html

D-Rod
12-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah, when Leach leaves he might reconsider...

Gay Ork Wang
12-05-2008, 08:42 AM
everyone says that during the season

CroomDawgs
12-05-2008, 08:57 AM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/

His dad says otherwise

NIN1984
12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
He is probably worried about getting drafted by Oakland. Can't blame him.

Bruce Banner
12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
give me a break.

he's coming out.

he knows.

his team knows.

we know.

Halsey
12-05-2008, 09:09 AM
What most of players probably want to say is "Leave me the f alone. I'll let you know when I've made a decision. For now, I'll just say whatever will get people to leave me alone."

jetsfan0099
12-05-2008, 09:15 AM
He doesn't want to be a Lion.... I don't blame him, I see the 1st overall team being the Lions who WILL take him if hes there as they always take the flashy WR. I would stay in college too, why would you want to be a Lion?

bored of education
12-05-2008, 09:18 AM
give me a break.

he's coming out.

he knows.

his team knows.

we know.

Boe Knows!

Halsey
12-05-2008, 09:23 AM
He doesn't want to be a Lion.... I don't blame him, I see the 1st overall team being the Lions who WILL take him if hes there as they always take the flashy WR. I would stay in college too, why would you want to be a Lion?

"Rookie wide receiver Calvin Johnson signed a six-year deal with the Detroit Lions on Friday, ending the No. 2 overall pick's eight-day holdout.

Johnson's contract is worth $64 million, with $27.2 million fully guaranteed"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2959620

holt_bruce81
12-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Good for him if he does. Put up monster numbers again next year, get a great education and live the College life.

Monomach
12-05-2008, 10:25 AM
You do know that they fired Matt Millen, right?

Kurve
12-05-2008, 10:33 AM

hahaha was going to say the same thing...but dont worry crabtree we will be in the hunt for you next year as well!

hockey619
12-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Of course hes gunna say that. He doesnt want people thinking hes looking to the NFL when hes still got a college game left to play.

Itll look bad to his teammates if hes like 'yeah im declaring for the NFL draft' because theyll think he doesnt care if they win this last game, just as long as he plays well and leaves the game healthy.

CroomDawgs
12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Michael Crabtree isn't even close to the prospect Calvin Johnson was. The Lions would never take him first overall

Sniper
12-05-2008, 10:47 AM

I can 100% guarantee you that the Lions wouldn't take him.

Gchu83
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
He's gonna get a Top 10 draft grade and come out.

iowatreat54
12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
With a new QB coming in, as talented as Texas Tech may believe he is, Crabtree would likely suffer in production from what he could have done. He wouldn't benefit at all from staying imo.

Scott Wright
12-05-2008, 12:06 PM
This time of year players will tell the media anything they want to hear to get them off their backs.

LonghornsLegend
12-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't know why but I question the motive of his father, me and my pops have a great relationship and he was a big part of my HS and college football career, he would never come out and say something about me coming out after I said I was staying, hell he wouldn't even have a comment no matter what the situation was.

I know these reporters call and bug the parents but I don't understand why they feel the need to put stuff like that out there, let your son decide on his own terms, seems like he's seeing $$$$ out of his pupils already.

That being said, I still feel like Crabtree leaves, Tech will be nowhere near as good, and when he gets graded out as at op 15 pick it won't be a tough choice.

ThePudge
12-05-2008, 12:11 PM
This time of year players will tell the media anything they want to hear to get them off their backs.

Exactly. College players typically want, and are coached, to take things one step at a time. With too much weighing on one's mind, performance will suffer. See Troy Smith in the National Championship a couple years back, his head was split so many ways (Heisman trophy, commercials, media appearances, the looming presence of professional football) that football took the back-seat. Players, like Crabtree and McCoy, are right to say they haven't given much thought to the leap to the NFL. It gets the media off their backs a little, for the time being.

CC.SD
12-05-2008, 03:15 PM
give me a break.

he's coming out.

he knows.

his team knows.

we know.

Yeah, no wiggle room here.

jnew76
12-05-2008, 03:20 PM

Only reason to worry is if he runs 4.35, and I don't think he will. No way Davis takes a 4.5 guy, even if he is the next Anquan Boldin.

Crickett
12-05-2008, 03:50 PM
I can 100% guarantee you that the Lions wouldn't take him.

But they're the Lions.

Sniper
12-05-2008, 04:29 PM
But they're the Lions.

I stand by my guarantee. The only way the Lions take him is if he drops to their second pick and the value for a lineman on either side of the ball sucks.

STARHEATHER
12-05-2008, 07:36 PM
if i was to bet on a reason he might be back its pure speculation but he might need surgery on his ankle. its been bum for 2 years. he could still declare, but i think there could possibly be a medical issue. hes played well vryone has him high i dont know why theyd leak hes thinking about coming back. considering the nfl bases its grades on pre workout proections and based on who they expect to surely declare. its not in his interest to potentialy lower his status in their eyes. i wouldnt be surprised if he has to go under the knife. william moore went back for that reason

12-05-2008, 07:47 PM
He's gonna get a Top 10 draft grade and come out.

They're usually not lenient when it comes to dishing out draft grades although I expect him to earn the highest of the eligible receivers without much contest. In response to his claims, I wanna see it to believe it. I always thought he was one of the very few locks and I still stand by it now.

STARHEATHER
12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
i agree totally thats what makes it so strange. get your grade then decide why now?

giantsfan
12-06-2008, 02:04 AM
i agree totally thats what makes it so strange. get your grade then decide why now?

If he comes out and says he's coming out you now the **** storm he'd get buried by in the media? Everything from "betraying his team-mates" to "being a selfish player" would be said about the kid, you don't cause your team that kind of distraction at this point in the season unless you're ******** or even worse, Starheather. He's not injured he's just saying what he has to to get th media off his back and not to become a distraction to his team. After they're done with play he'll say he's coming out and be the top 10 pick we all see.

Bruce Banner
12-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Boe Knows!

brilliant.

giantsfan
12-06-2008, 02:11 AM
Juice > Bo

mqtirishfan
12-06-2008, 02:21 AM
Crabtree has to declare... My keeper league team is awful.

RaiderNation
12-06-2008, 02:26 AM
I think he comes out since he is losing his QB this season. Plus he should get a top 10 grade

colts_fan8818
12-06-2008, 02:40 AM
I think that if Leach leaves, he will declare. He might be able to get by without Harrell or the rest of the supporting cast but if they get a new coach and therefore a new offensive scheme, his numbers will drop and his draft stock with it. I think he is better off coming out now.

Menardo75
12-06-2008, 02:49 AM
There is no way he stays he has nothing left to prove.

Flyboy
12-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Haha, oh Crabtree. You're silly.

Babylon
12-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Obviously he's coming out, don't be silly.

TonyRomoFan9
12-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I agree, education is undervalued these days. People need to understand that sometimes when youre going to be making 8+ million a year that education can be very important to people.

kudos to mr. crabtree

CashmoneyDrew
12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree, education is undervalued these days. People need to understand that sometimes when youre going to be making 8+ million a year that education can be very important to people.

kudos to mr. crabtree

He can always go back. He's been in school for three years, not to mention the summer classes he probably takes every year. He's probably not to far away from graduating.

Flyboy
12-06-2008, 03:31 PM
It's Lubbock f'n Texas. Leave, Mike.

aNYtitan
12-07-2008, 11:06 PM
What is a good comparison for Crabtree to an NFL player?

Abaddon
12-07-2008, 11:17 PM

Name a WR who went back for his senior year despite being slotted in the top half of the 1st round, blew out a knee as a senior, and saw his stock/career take a tumble. That'll be the guy he compares to.

CashmoneyDrew
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Name a WR who went back for his senior year despite being slotted in the top half of the 1st round, blew out a knee as a senior, and saw his stock/career take a tumble. That'll be the guy he compares to.

Except he's only a sophomore....

Habibi
12-08-2008, 12:18 AM
No way Crabtree stays.

LonghornsLegend
12-08-2008, 12:34 AM

As a former player he reminds me of Cris Carter the most, especially when he was at Ohio State: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2z5bBRFm_A&feature=related

Look at those highlights from him in college, both guys have the same size and frame, and they have similiar styles especially the way they go up and catch the ball...As far as current NFL players Andre Johnson is pretty close, he won't run as fast of a 40 but when Andre was at Miami he looked alot like Crabtree now.

giantsfan
12-08-2008, 12:36 AM

kudos to mr. crabtree

A) Crabtree very well could be close to graduating already and going back is always an option, being draft just means he can no longer play for a college football team.

B) Getting those last few credits to graduate is no where near as significant as the risk he runs of being seriously injured or having his stock get nitpicked to death, he really can't do anything more to prove himself and only risks further injuries and a potential rookie contract scale to decrease the value of that first contract. Honestly he isn't going to learn that much in one more semester anyways so this whole getting an education comment is BS to begin with if he hasn't gotten an education in three years he isn't going to get one in the next semester or two. He'll just have the check mark on his resume, fortunately for him a degree in WTF he's majoring in doesn't really impact his NFL resume.

Jimmy
12-08-2008, 07:32 AM
It's so great to see a college kid just enjoying himself, he clearly has no need for the big money if he's happy at college, and that's what matters. If he wants to play out his eligibility, let him.

WCH
12-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I believe that TonyRomoFan9 was being sarcastic.

Crabtree's family took out a $1 Million insurance policy before the season, in case he had a career-threatening injury. He's going for the money, as quick as possible.

giantsfan
12-08-2008, 09:57 PM
It's so great to see a college kid just enjoying himself, he clearly has no need for the big money if he's happy at college, and that's what matters. If he wants to play out his eligibility, let him.

Except he's not, he's lying to media because he has to at this time of the year. Let's here him repeat this notion after Tech's bowl game.