PDA

View Full Version : Landry or Willis?

lionsfan81
03-03-2007, 12:26 PM
if the lions were able to trade down, who would u rather have, laron landry or patrick willis? I think landry is a probowl player and instant impact in the secondary, he could start at FS and have bullocks/kennedy at SS. Landry would be a huge upgrade and get us the playmaking DB we've needed. Our other option would be Willis who i love, but i worry if he can be consistently good in coverage. I would opt for Landry i think because at the start of the second we could get David Harris who i think would be a perfect fit for our defense and be just as good as Willis would be, where if we drafted Willis i don't think there is a good enough safety to take at the start of the 2nd. thoughts?

TacticaLion
03-03-2007, 12:32 PM
if the lions were able to trade down, who would u rather have, laron landry or patrick willis? I think landry is a probowl player and instant impact in the secondary, he could start at FS and have bullocks/kennedy at SS. Landry would be a huge upgrade and get us the playmaking DB we've needed. Our other option would be Willis who i love, but i worry if he can be consistently good in coverage. I would opt for Landry i think because at the start of the second we could get David Harris who i think would be a perfect fit for our defense and be just as good as Willis would be, where if we drafted Willis i don't think there is a good enough safety to take at the start of the 2nd. thoughts?I would normally say Willis over any other player available... but you've sold me on this reasoning.

We do need a stud in that secondary, and Landry WILL be a stud. We could take Landry in round 1, Harris in round 2 and Bazuin in round 3... which would fill each need with a great, young player. We could also trade some of our other picks to move up and grab a young, talented CB... which, in my opinion, would fill each need we have and give us a young, great core.

Addict
03-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I would normally say Willis over any other player available... but you've sold me on this reasoning.

We do need a stud in that secondary, and Landry WILL be a stud. We could take Landry in round 1, Harris in round 2 and Bazuin in round 3... which would fill each need with a great, young player. We could also trade some of our other picks to move up and grab a young, talented CB... which, in my opinion, would fill each need we have and give us a young, great core.

wow. Tactical just lost his religion.

Iamcanadian
03-03-2007, 03:26 PM
if the lions were able to trade down, who would u rather have, laron landry or patrick willis? I think landry is a probowl player and instant impact in the secondary, he could start at FS and have bullocks/kennedy at SS. Landry would be a huge upgrade and get us the playmaking DB we've needed. Our other option would be Willis who i love, but i worry if he can be consistently good in coverage. I would opt for Landry i think because at the start of the second we could get David Harris who i think would be a perfect fit for our defense and be just as good as Willis would be, where if we drafted Willis i don't think there is a good enough safety to take at the start of the 2nd. thoughts?

I agree that you logic makes a lot of sense, however a cover 2 defense must have a great pass rushing DE to be effective. We simply must come out of this draft with Adams even if we have to accept him at #2. Martz's offense should score some points this season, so if we can find at least a DE, we will have a shot at around 7 wins. If we don't find a great DE, Marinelli's cover 2 defense will be mediocre at best and we'll be right back drafting in the top 5 next year. If you examine Indy who also plays a cover 2, they dump their LB's practically every year and often switch up their CB's, because they know as long as they have Feeney and Mathis at DE, their cover 2 will work.
It's not that a Landry wouldn't be great, safeties definitely are important in a cover 2, but without a great DE, a cover 2 defense cannot work. The whole cover 2 defense is based on your front 4 applying immense pressure on the passer without blitzing, that's what Indy does and that is what Chicago does, and Tampa Bay did with Rice and Sapp. We must find that DE who can make this defense effective for us.

lionsfan81
03-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I would normally say Willis over any other player available... but you've sold me on this reasoning.

if we got landry, harris, and then bazuin, then millen is a genius. I am one of the biggest patrick willis supporters around, but im starting to really think we should go for landry and get harris in the 2nd.

lionsfan81
03-03-2007, 03:30 PM
I agree that you logic makes a lot of sense, however a cover 2 defense must have a great pass rushing DE to be effective. We simply must come out of this draft with Adams even if we have to accept him at #2. Martz's offense should score some points this season, so if we can find at least a DE, we will have a shot at around 7 wins. If we don't find a great DE, Marinelli's cover 2 defense will be mediocre at best and we'll be right back drafting in the top 5 next year. If you examine Indy who also plays a cover 2, they dump their LB's practically every year and often switch up their CB's, because they know as long as they have Feeney and Mathis at DE, their cover 2 will work.
It's not that a Landry wouldn't be great, safeties definitely are important in a cover 2, but without a great DE, a cover 2 defense cannot work. The whole cover 2 defense is based on your front 4 applying immense pressure on the passer without blitzing, that's what Indy does and that is what Chicago does, and Tampa Bay did with Rice and Sapp. We must find that DE who can make this defense effective for us.

i agree 100% that we need a DE. If we sign dwayne white or whatever the DE from tampa is that kind of helps us. The thing is this draft is soooooo deep with DE's we can get a great one later on. Ive read somewhere how the staff likes bazuin better than adams anyways so i really dont see him going at #2. Millen MUST draft a DE tho and he must be able to make an instant impact, someone in the end of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, just not in the top 5 picks.

Mythos
03-03-2007, 03:51 PM

The problem with this is that Gaines Adams is not Simeon Rice or Dwight Freeney. I think Adams is only marginally better than some of the other DEs. I think you could make the case that Willis and Landry are substantially better than the next best player at their position.

detroit4life
03-03-2007, 04:34 PM
merriweather is a stud safety that we could possibly get in the second. DE is a HUGE need and would hope that we adress it in the first or second round. I see them sticking with kennedy and bullocks this year and if they do i would love to get kenny phillips next year who i'd say is better than landry but safety doesn absolutely need to be adressed this year IMO

casskid
03-03-2007, 05:57 PM
I think that we really need Merriweather. It seems that he has the versatility to play either safety or corner, and if he does move to corner we know hes not afraid to hit, which would make him ideal with run support. I think the best situation for the Lions would be to move down to 10-15 and see if the Jets are serious about getting rid of Vilma. If i were the Jets I would want Lynch, and Im pretty sure he is predicted to go around there in most mocks. If the Jets dont want to trade Vilma then you are in a pretty good spot value wise to pick up Willis. Kinda off topic but kinda not.

Mythos
03-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Merriweather makes sense, I just don't see him as a Marinelli-type guy. I'd love to get Vilma away from the Jets.

Pocket
03-03-2007, 07:21 PM
At number 2, I'd like Landry.

Xiomera
03-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Ever since we made the Dre Bly deal, I have been a strong supporter of a Lions trade down to get LaRon Landry. Think about it . . . we could save money by cutting Kennedy. We would have our two safeties for the future (Landry/Bullocks). And we'd replace Bly with another playmaking DB.

detroit4life
03-03-2007, 11:38 PM
i'd still rahter take a DE or Willis this year and take kenny phillips next year