PDA

View Full Version : Mike McLaughlin ILB BC

Bengals78
12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
The past few weeks this guy has been really impressive. Anyone think he might come out this year? Or anyone with any more info on him?

ThePudge
12-06-2008, 03:08 PM
You have to think he'll stay at this point with a strong LB class. If teammate Mark Herzlich declares, perhaps McLaughlin will follow suit, but I doubt it. BC is still fairly young and they have a chance to be ACC champs next season. Today's game may be the motivation both need to stay.

Very active player who shows great effort and recognition skills. Nice to hear his name mentioned here though as his play has been particularly strong as of late.

Don Vito
12-06-2008, 03:35 PM
No way he comes out. McLaughlin is a good one though, he is a thumper of a MLB but he is also a great athlete. Big, strong dude who I think will be one hell of a 3-4 ILB.

Bengals78
12-06-2008, 06:57 PM
He reminds me of Zach Thomas a little bit. Always flying to the ball and with short stocky build.

Race for the Heisman
12-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I think if he came out he could leapfrog guys like Beckwith and Ellerbe for the fourth inside linebacker spot or so. I feel much better about his potential as a three-down linebacker than either or those guys.

ThePudge
12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I think if he came out he could leapfrog guys like Beckwith and Ellerbe for the fourth inside linebacker spot or so. I feel much better about his potential as a three-down linebacker than either or those guys.

I think he's a better football player than both those guys and would easily be a better fit in a 3-4 system at ILB. Still, NFL teams love athleticism and Ellerbe/Beckwith may have the edge. I can honestly say I don't know what he'd run. He has great game speed and shows some athleticism in pursuit, but I haven't seen much concerning his timed speed. It was right around 4.8 when he got to BC. You'd hope it was around 4.7-4.75 at the least to be drafted higher than those two.

BuckDawg23
12-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Any BC fans out there know what are the chances McLaughlin o Herzlich declare? Those 2 would make some pretty good 34 LB's, they'd be perfect for Cleveland.

Babylon
12-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Any BC fans out there know what are the chances McLaughlin o Herzlich declare? Those 2 would make some pretty good 34 LB's, they'd be perfect for Cleveland.

Anything would help that Cleveland defense wouldn't it? As for Herzlich he said a few weeks ago that he planned on coming back but they all pretty much sing that tune this time of year. It would probably be smart to see where he's projected to go and then decide unless he truly is happy there at BC. Doubt McLaughlin comes out either way.

Matthew Jones
12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Anything would help that Cleveland defense wouldn't it? As for Herzlich he said a few weeks ago that he planned on coming back but they all pretty much sing that tune this time of year. It would probably be smart to see where he's projected to go and then decide unless he truly is happy there at BC. Doubt McLaughlin comes out either way.

Yeah, even firing Rack as head coach. :/ I doubt either one comes out, by the way.

Xonraider
12-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't know much about him but he is huge.

megansett56BC
12-09-2008, 04:54 PM
As far as McLaughlin goes, I can't see him leaving at all. Typically, no one leaves early from here to begin with, and there have been much more talented and better hyped prospects that haven't left early (i.e. Kiwanuka for one). He has gotten better as the year has gone on, but he likely doesn't have that NFL athleticism. However, he is very smart and has good instincts. His best deal would be to stay. Overall, I'd say the chance he leaves is <1%.

As far as Herzlich is concerned, nobody really knows. I doubt he leaves because that's just the culture around the football team here, but he's definitely had the best season of any junior here since Kiwanuka. There's not really any buzz or anything up here. I'd put his chances at leaving at 35%.

mrambo6390
12-15-2008, 07:20 PM
No chance that McLaughlin leaves. Not fast enough, too short, and coverage skills lack a bit. He's gonna stay and I wouldn't guess that he would be higher than a second day pick as a senior.

Bigburt63
12-16-2008, 10:49 AM
He's a great football player with the intangibles and recognition skills to play at the next level. what hurts him are the measurables, specifically the 40. I doubt he leaves this year with such a deep LB class, and stays for the 5th year. Herzlich is more of a toss up, and I could see him going either way.