PDA

View Full Version : Mack or Unger

oregonbucfan
12-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Who goes first?

Turtlepower
12-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Alex Mack will go at least 20 picks higher than Unger. Then again, we'll see both of them at the Senior Bowl so maybe one will impress more than the other.

CashmoneyDrew
12-06-2008, 01:55 PM
The fact that Unger could realistically play any spot on the offensive line is damn impressive, but at this point, purely as a C prospect, Mack is probably ahead of Unger.

SuperKevin
12-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Mack because he's a great pure center. Unger is a lot more versatile but not as good at any one position as Mack is at center

Paranoidmoonduck
12-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Mack's versatility hasn't been made much of, but the guy has played some at tackle and guard for Cal (not as much as Unger has for Oregon thought).

I think is going to be the more physically impressive and I think he's already considered the better prospect, so I fully expect him to go earlier.

RaiderNation
12-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Mack will go ahead since he has the ability to play every position on the line. He should be a 1st rounder. Unger looks like a mid 2nd rounder.

regoob2
12-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Mack. Thread. Mack is a stud. Unger is good.

iBoldin
12-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Mack will go ahead since he has the ability to play every position on the line. He should be a 1st rounder. Unger looks like a mid 2nd rounder.

I think you are mixing Mack and Unger up. Unger is the one who can play every position on the line. Mack is a pure center, but I think Mack will go ahead.

fenikz
12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Unger, has more upside and could even eventually play LT

princefielder28
12-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Unger, has more upside and could even eventually play LT

Even if that were to be true, you can't believe that Unger will actually go first

Malaka
12-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Mack can play guard, and I think he is also pretty versatile though Unger is more versatile, as just a center prospect I'll take Mack every time. For another spot on the offensive line I'd take Unger.

ThePudge
12-06-2008, 03:05 PM
It's close at this point. Closer than many make it out to be. I have Unger three spots higher on my big board (36 & 39). Unger probably takes it in terms of size, versatility, and athleticism. Mack is the better pure Center and has tremendous technique and experience at the position. I think preference will depend on the system. Very close call. A good thread in my opinion. Many are looking past Unger.

A few respectable sources opinions...

Scott Wright - Mack (19th) over Unger (21st)
Nolan Nawrocki - Unger (16th) over Mack (23rd)
Mel Kiper - Mack (15th) over Unger (17th)

- All rankings exclude all underclassmen.

SenorGato
12-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Mack. It's no offense to Unger. Mack just reminds me of Nick Mangold a whole lot.

Unger and Caldwell will be fine players anyway...I really like Caldwell on a team like the Steelers or Jags.

duckseason
12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I think this comes down to individual team preference. They are both can't-miss prospects, but have different strengths and weaknesses. I think some teams will have Mack higher on their board, and some will have Unger.

Mike Jenkins was selected before Antoine Cason last year not necessarily because he was the better prospect, but because the Cowboys happened to be selecting two slots ahead of the Chargers.

That said, I think Mack will be the first center off the board and I'm not even sure Unger will be the second.

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Mack is the better pure center.You could make an argument for Unger being the better prospect due to his versatility.But the question is who'll be picked first.Mack is the better center and although Unger could be a good OT hes in a draft that has some pretty damn good LTs in it already.I'm pretty sure Mack will be picked first.

PACKmanN
12-06-2008, 04:22 PM
It really depends on what scheme the team runs. Mack is a great push linemen, who uses his strength to win the battle at the line, while Unger uses his quickness to pull linemen away from the qb.

Both player have totally different styles.

Cigaro
12-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Mack, no question.

duckseason
12-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Mack is the better pure center.You could make an argument for Unger being the better prospect due to his versatility.But the question is who'll be picked first.Mack is the better center and although Unger could be a good OT hes in a draft that has some pretty damn good LTs in it already.I'm pretty sure Mack will be picked first.

"Better center" is subjective. You state it as a matter of fact. All we have are our opinions when rating players. Those who think Mack is head and shoulders above Unger as a center would be kind to share how they arrived at that opinion. I'd assume they lined up across from each on their best day. Us outsiders simply do not have enough accurate information to make such a definitive claim. The tape is really all we have, and that is insufficient in this instance, imo.

What the hell is a "pure center" anyway? The position is learned no matter who you are. There is nothing holding Unger back as a center. There is a legitimate argument to be made for either of these guys. Darren McFadden was never clearly the best running back prospect, though the majority would tell you different. Robert Gallery was never the best OT prospect, nor was Mike Williams. Individual perception does not equal encompassing reality.

Given their differing individual styles and the more and more specialized nature of the game, I think it's ridiculous to place one of these elite players head and shoulders above the other. Neither is a slouch. Both could be future pro-bowlers. It's my opinion that Mack is selected first, but those who make the decisions may disagree.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Duckseason, telling people that their opinion is subjective is like telling a wall it's solid.

If there's a legitimate argument for Unger, then make it. Don't backhandedly make it by calling opinions subjective.

duckseason
12-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Duckseason, telling people that their opinion is subjective is like telling a wall it's solid.

If there's a legitimate argument for Unger, then make it. Don't backhandedly make it by calling opinions subjective.
I'm not arguing for Unger, nor informing him an opinion is subjective. I was showing him the difference between fact and opinion. He stated his opinion as fact and didn't even explain how he arrived at the conclusion that Mack was unquestionably the superior center prospect. No need for me to make a case for Unger when I agree that Mack will be the first center selected.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-06-2008, 08:08 PM
You know that even when someone states something as fact on this website, it's opinion. That's absolutely a given when it comes to evaluation of football players. There's no need to remind someone that what they said was opinion, all you need to do is state something different (not even necessarily directly contradicting) to prove your point. It's definitely the more productive course of action, at least compared to a Lebowski-esque, "That's just...like...your opinion man."

ChezPower4
12-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I like Unger, I think that he's a little more raw of a center but he's got a lot of upside. Plus he can play more that one position which is very valuable to any oline.

PACKmanN
12-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I like Unger, I think that he's a little more raw of a center but he's got a lot of upside. Plus he can play more that one position which is very valuable to any oline.

so could Mack, think of him of a more talented Jason Spitz.

ChezPower4
12-06-2008, 08:43 PM
so could Mack, think of him of a more talented Jason Spitz.

Well you and I both know that Spitz is garbage.

Mr. Stiller
12-07-2008, 03:44 AM
I really see Unger moving to Guard in the pro's, I don't know why. Can't put my finger on it per-se but I think he would honestly play better at G than C.

wicket
12-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Mack. Thread. Mack is a stud. Unger is good.

thats me saying that ;)

Larry121283
12-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Mack will go higher. Pure center prospects tend to go higher when they are worth it.

Unger is a versatile lineman and those guys tend to start flying off the board in round 2 or so.

Love Unger as a prospect.