PDA

View Full Version : Marvin says Defense played well after 35-3 loss

rickscott
12-07-2008, 05:03 PM
No sacks, no pics, Peyton with a QB rating of over 130 and a loss to the Colts of 35-3 and Marvin Lewis insults our intelligence with a statement like this. He needs to go with about 1/2 this team. This organization stinks

PalmerToCJ
12-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I couldn't even muster up the energy to make a game thread, at this rate... What's the point?

It's evident none of us here are fair weather fans but man this is just awful. Early this year I didn't want Marvin gone, even halfway through I didn't want him gone but there's just no reason to continue on with him. My worst case scenario for this team was probably 5 wins and we are shattering that.

The defense is obviously our strength at this point (which says nothing) but after a game like this you shouldn't be saying something positive about anyone. This is just an embarrassment.

hobbes2053
12-07-2008, 08:28 PM
It all just makes me so sad/angry.

Geo
12-07-2008, 08:31 PM
The run defense, sure. Peko is gem.

Pass defense-wise, some of it was the scheme - the Bengals were playing the Colts receivers off too much imo - but probably it's more down to talent. Some of which is on IR already for the Bengals, but they could certainly use at least one fearsome pass rusher.

However the only defensive player I would consider drafting over Andre Smith (a beast) is Malcolm Jenkins, and the Bengals are pretty set at corner with Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall already.

I've been impressed with Bubba Caldwell the last two games, he's showing promise imo. Jerome Simpson still looks very raw.

PalmerToCJ
12-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I had very low expectations for even the defense today but strictly because of the injuries.

However, just because people were injured doesn't mean they didn't play bad.

BengalMedic
12-08-2008, 07:16 AM
After a game like this you shouldn't be saying something positive about anyone.

At this point, I bet even the towel boys are f*cking up !!!

To label this season as anything other than clusterf*ckish would be overstating. The ineptitude of this entire organization just makes it embarassing to be a fan. I'm not going anywhere, but holy sh*t me to tears !!!

That being said, I can't even muster anger about the team anymore, I just don't care...

hobbes2053
12-08-2008, 08:32 AM
I started looking forward to the draft/next season a few weeks ago. Super Bowl XLIV!

Probably not, but a man can dream, right?

Bengals78
12-08-2008, 08:46 AM
The run defense, sure. Peko is gem.

Pass defense-wise, some of it was the scheme - the Bengals were playing the Colts receivers off too much imo - but probably it's more down to talent. Some of which is on IR already for the Bengals, but they could certainly use at least one fearsome pass rusher.

However the only defensive player I would consider drafting over Andre Smith (a beast) is Malcolm Jenkins, and the Bengals are pretty set at corner with Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall already.

I've been impressed with Bubba Caldwell the last two games, he's showing promise imo. Jerome Simpson still looks very raw.

Its gonna be hard to decide for me to go with Smith or Orakpo for the Bengals. We NEED the pass rush more than anything right now. Collins has been pretty good so far, you'd have to imagine with CP back there it would be better but who knows so Smith would still be a safe pick but we desperately need that pass rush which Orakpo brings.

BengalMedic
12-08-2008, 12:35 PM
If we stay put at our current #2, I think Smith would be the pick without much thought to it. I just can't see spending a #2 on Orakpo. Now if we traded down and picked up some more picks, I would have less of an issue, but hard to pay that much to the DE position with Geathers, Odom, and Orakpo being drafted in the top 10.

themaninblack
12-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Marvin meant the defense played well with the players they had on the field. You've got a LB and a DT playing DE, and 3/4 of your secondary gone. I didn't really see the game but I'm thinkin thats what he was trying to say.

rickscott
12-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Marvin meant the defense played well with the players they had on the field. You've got a LB and a DT playing DE, and 3/4 of your secondary gone. I didn't really see the game but I'm thinkin thats what he was trying to say.

So I wonder just how many points we've would have had to give up before ML thought maybe they didn't play so good? Tell us they gave a great effort although overmatched; don't tell us they played good.

bengalbuck
12-08-2008, 11:12 PM
The D didn't play great but just looking at the scoreboard is a bit misleading. One of the TDs was an 85 yard TD return on an INT, so the D only gave up 28. Plus, other turnovers led to a short field for Indy a couple of other times. And you take into account that we couldn't run the ball at all or sustain drives so the D was out there way too much and I think it isn't exactly a ridiculous statement.

Still, it seems as if Marvin has been "Bengalized" and just doesn't have the same fire anymore. After a while, it seems like Bengal coaches become interested in moral victories.

themaninblack
12-08-2008, 11:24 PM
So I wonder just how many points we've would have had to give up before ML thought maybe they didn't play so good? Tell us they gave a great effort although overmatched; don't tell us they played good.

I'm not trying to defend him/them but thats just what it seemed like he was trying to say in his press conference. They were clearly over matched as they were expected to be and are playing for absolutely nothing but the effort was still there.