PDA

View Full Version : Giants Eyeing Boldin in Off-Season?

DI
12-08-2008, 10:14 AM
http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/10039/20081208/giants_eye_boldin_to_replace_burress/

What do you guys think. A 1st and another pick get it done? I would absolutely love him in big blue. A perfect fit.

Sniper
12-08-2008, 10:14 AM
http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/10039/20081208/giants_eye_boldin_to_replace_burress/

What do you guys think. A 1st and another pick get it done? I would absolutely love him in big blue. A perfect fit.

Get in line...

Bruce Banner
12-08-2008, 10:16 AM
He'd fit anywhere. Most elite players do.

Now move this to the Giants team forum.

Turtlepower
12-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, this is complete speculation on the Daily News' part. Also, Boldin will want a new contract if he is traded, which is something I don't think we can afford giving him.

Number 10
12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Not gonna happen. He's almost 30, wants a monster contract, and would cost more than a late 1st round pick. All three of those aspects go against the Jerry Reese way.

Bruce Banner
12-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Not gonna happen. He's almost 30, wants a monster contract, and would cost more than a late 1st round pick. All three of those aspects go against the Jerry Reese way.

It's not like Reese gave an almost 30 year old receiver (at the time) a 6 year deal recently.

Number 10
12-08-2008, 10:52 AM
It's not like Reese gave an almost 30 year old receiver (at the time) a 6 year deal recently.

Do you know anything about the contract?

Bruce Banner
12-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Do you know anything about the contract?

I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter.

considering being 30 is still one of the "aspects go against the Jerry Reese way".

Number 10
12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter.

considering being 30 is still one of the "aspects go against the Jerry Reese way".

My reasoning for that post was to show that all of those reasons went against the Jerry Reese way. With Burress, it was just an age thing while the contract itself was about half of what Boldin will demand and the Giants did not have to give up any draft picks, let alone a 1st rounder.

Turtlepower
12-08-2008, 10:59 AM
My reasoning for that post was to show that all of those reasons went against the Jerry Reese way. With Burress, it was just an age thing while the contract itself was about half of what Boldin will demand and the Giants did not have to give up any draft picks, let alone a 1st rounder.

Also, Burress agreed to an extremely front-loaded contract, which is something that Boldin probably will not like.

Bruce Banner
12-08-2008, 11:02 AM

so each aspect individually doesn't go against reese's way?

but all of them together do?

I am trying to make sense of all of it.

Burns336
12-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Depends on whether or not the current argument benefits from it.

Number 10
12-08-2008, 12:51 PM

When it comes to acquiring players, Reese tries to limit risk by keeping his premium draft picks, staying away from big contracts to older players, staying away from injury riddled players, and staying away from players that do not fit the systems that have been implemented.

If a potential acquisition "violates" more than one of those, I'd say it is a very good chance Reese will not pull the trigger.

Boldin will demand almost double the money Plax is making, and it won't be the kind of contract Reese gave to Plax (a very limited amount of guaranteed money). Boldin is also close to 30 years old. A Boldin acquisition would also cost the team MORE than the Giants 1st round pick.

So lets break this down.

-Age? Fail.
-Contract? Fail.
-Draft Picks? Fail.
-System? Pass.
-Intangibles? Pass.

If Boldin were 26 years old and a free agent that would not cost the Giants draft picks, then I would consider acquiring him a possibility. But the fact he is almost 30, would cost a lot of money and a 1st round pick with icing on top takes him off the list.

OSUGiants17
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I would cream my pants over and over again if this happened. If Reese can pull this off that would be insane.

Geo
12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
That would be awesome, lol.

As much as I love Boldin, I'd pass on giving up a late 1st and change for him for the Colts. They could sign both starting corners instead of giving him a new contract, and use that pick (or another one) to draft a young guy to play with Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez, etcetera.

In the Giants' case however, they have cap space coming up and their two veteran receivers in Burress and Toomer could be gone this summer. They moved on from Shockey already, getting a good return in draft picks.

Although if I'm Arizona, I might seek a higher first round pick than a very late 1st like the Giants will have. Detroit was able to get Dallas' first round pick and change for Roy Williams, and Williams isn't a Top 2 receiver like Boldin.