PDA

View Full Version : I admit I was wrong on Steve Slaton... but so were you!!!

D-Unit
12-08-2008, 03:40 PM
HAHAHA! Admit it. There were many doubters here including myself. But the guy has been tearing it up and is only getting better and better with more playing time. I thought he'd only be a change of pace back in the NFL, but he has shown the ability to be a major player. I still don't think he's a good short yardage/power back, and I still think the Texans are better off finding a power back to compliment him, but he's been a lot better than I predicted. A LOT better.

Turtlepower
12-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I just remember the one game against Pitt more or less killing Slaton's draft stock. What a flippin' fantastic RB class.

Ness
12-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Well I can't wait to see what he can do over the course of an entire season. I'm wondering if with extended carries he'll tire down by the month of December. But for now, he's having a fantastic rookie season.

sbh15
12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I won't act like I knew he was going to be a stud pickup for Houston, but I was pretty surprised to see him in the third round. I knew he could be a great complimentary back, but I'll admit I never thought he'd be this good. I've voted him to the Pro Bowl each time I vote. I think he's probably the most exciting AFC running back to watch outside of Chris Johnson.

scottyboy
12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
he still sucks and will get arrested for raping his 12 year old cousin once said cousin finds out Slaton makes lots of cash and sues him. THE END

princefielder28
12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I think there were alot of people, including myself, who believed that Slaton could thrive in a ZBS, but no one can say that they thought he could be this successful this early.

Gay Ork Wang
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Forte + Slaton + CJ = Awesome RB class!

Flyboy
12-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Speak for yourself. I was always high on Steve Slaton and thought he was an underrated draft prospect.

tjsunstein
12-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Forte + Slaton + CJ - McFadden = Awesome RB class!

Fixed for you. Let's add a healthy Mendenhall and Felix to that list.

D-Unit
12-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Speak for yourself. I was always high on Steve Slaton and thought he was an underrated draft prospect.
All praise Flyboy for his honorably flyness!!!!

...and wtf scotty? He raped his 12 yr old neice??? That's F'd up!!!

keylime_5
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I was an advocate of Cleveland taking him in the second round up until we traded our second round pick. I knew he'd be a pretty good pro, but he has done more than I thought he would for sure so soon.

sbh15
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM

mcfandeen iz a bust and eqkwills 2 lok wins pur yer

Gay Ork Wang
12-08-2008, 03:54 PM
he still sucks and will get arrested for raping his 12 year old cousin once said cousin finds out Slaton makes lots of cash and sues him. THE END
Dude ur mixing something up. He wasnt from Rutgers...

BlindSite
12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
I admit I was surprised because when they picked him up I said "who in the blue hell is that?"

BeerBaron
12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Before last season, I think a lot of people were thinking he could be a great back but man...he tanked it pretty bad last year. looked like he was saving his body for the NFL and his stock crashed and burned.

But that Texans ZBS is just too perfect for a runner like him.

San Diego Chicken
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
This is exactly what I said about Slaton -

I know some people downgrade running backs who play in the spread, but one good thing the spread does is gets them used to running downhill once they make their first cut. So I think Slaton might actually be decent in a zone blocking scheme. How about Slaton as the change of pace back to Ryan Grant?

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=851335&highlight=slaton#post851335

Lo and behold, he ends up with a zone blocking team and is doing well. And GB might not have all the problems they're having now running the ball if Slaton were aboard.

Sidenote - I still hate the zone blocking style of offense. It makes me sick to see 300 pound OL near the sideline trying to take out a DB's knees. That isn't football.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Following the Big East and the Terps so you know it sucked seeing him run on the Terps when they dropped his scholarship last second, I thought he was a good prospect. I think that people were severely underrating his bulk. Still I had him only as a 2nd-3rd round prospect and I didn't think he'd be as good as he already is.

scottyboy
12-08-2008, 04:10 PM
All praise Flyboy for his honorably flyness!!!!

...and wtf scotty? He raped his 12 yr old neice??? That's F'd up!!!

not neice. nephew.

and brother.

and cousin.

but what did you expect, he's from West Virginia...

SchizophrenicBatman
12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I think there were alot of people, including myself, who believed that Slaton could thrive in a ZBS, but no one can say that they thought he could be this successful this early.

pretty much, I didnt think he'd be a good RB for most teams in the NFL but could have a decent amount of success in the ZBS. This much, and in his rookie year? Nah, but I wouldnt say I'm that surprised about it

same goes for Aqib Talib in the c2 in tampa. I think if you take him out of that system he's not that great. Fits in it pretty damn well though

Sniper
12-08-2008, 04:25 PM
not neice. nephew.

and brother.

and cousin.

I know five people who know Slaton, and they all say he's the nicest person they've ever met.

abaddon41_80
12-08-2008, 04:34 PM
ZBS = a running back's best friend.

jayceheathman
12-08-2008, 04:36 PM

He didnt go to Rutgers so he has more class that that.

sbh15
12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
not neice. nephew.

and brother.

and cousin.

He's from Pennsylvania... found his old rivals page.

And is it just me or does it look like he has tits here?

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Camper/PHOTO/STEVESLATONNIKEA200.JPG

captainjack27
12-08-2008, 04:43 PM
This has been an impressive RB class to say the least. Slaton, Forte, Chris Johnson have become very good feature backs for their teams. Felix Jones was playing well before his injury. Ray Rice has become a big part of the Baltimore offense. Don't forget Kevin Smith either, who's been a bright spot for the Lions. It's too bad Mendenhall got injured, I would have loved to see him this year.

Geo
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Sorry to disappoint D, but I liked Slaton when he was the bee's knees and still afterwards when he fell out of favor.

MetSox17
12-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I was actually thinking of making a thread yesterday and mentioning Steve Slaton. I was one of the ones that didn't think he would amount to anything in the NFL because of his small-ish size and his lackluster timed speed. Playing in a spread with one of the greatest option QB's we've seen in a long time, i felt boosted his performances.

From what i have seen, he's very quick in between the tackles and he's extremely agile at making people miss. He's not one of those "get them out in space" runners. He'll shake you in a vacuum if he needed. Let's see him do this next year as well though, once teams start game planning against him a lot more. Houston has had experiences with running backs they drafted in the middle rounds that had great rookie seasons...

I'm happy for Houston though. They have a better (pure) RB than New Orleans, AND they have Mario Williams.

D-Unit
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
This has been an impressive RB class to say the least. Slaton, Forte, Chris Johnson have become very good feature backs for their teams. Felix Jones was playing well before his injury. Ray Rice has become a big part of the Baltimore offense. Don't forget Kevin Smith either, who's been a bright spot for the Lions. It's too bad Mendenhall got injured, I would have loved to see him this year.

Yeah, you didn't even mention Johnathan Stewart, Peyton Hillis.. and yes, Tashard Choice! ;)

No Lions fans.... Kevin Smith is a bust in the mold of Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell.

Shane P. Hallam
12-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah, you didn't even mention Johnathan Stewart, Peyton Hillis.. and yes, Tashard Choice! ;)

No Lions fans.... Kevin Smith is a bust in the mold of Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell.

Smith has actually played well when healthy despite the O-line and surrounding talent. He could be a nice runner.

MetSox17
12-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Smith has actually played well when healthy despite the O-line and surrounding talent. He could be a nice runner.

I thought Smith coming out was one of the better pure runners in the class. He's not as athletically gifted as say a McFadden, or Johnson, heck even Stewart, but i love his explosiveness through the line and his cutting ability. He has great vision as a runner, and should he ever get anything resembling an offensive line in Detroit, he'll be very good.

captainjack27
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM

For the amount of offensive futility on that team, Smith has been pretty good.

Xonraider
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM

McFadden has had turf toe for some time, and now that he's back he has been decent.

D-Unit
12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
That's true. The OL is woesome.

Does anyone know? Is Gosder Cherilous doing bad too?

tjsunstein
12-08-2008, 05:16 PM
McFadden on Arkansas was good. McFadden on Oakland is not good until they get an O-Line.

SaintsMan
12-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Forte + Slaton + CJ = Awesome RB class!

I really wanted the Saints to take Forte in the second round.

YAYareaRB
12-08-2008, 05:30 PM
I'll admit I was skeptical at what role he would play and I definitely didn't see him being the go-to-guy like he is for the Texans.

ChezPower4
12-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Smith has shown flashes of really good things. Plus he's playing behind one of the worst if not the worst Oline in football. As soon as they get a little bit better I think that Smith will really take off and come into his own. He's got great vision and is really good a finding those small holes, that most back may not see.

DiG
12-08-2008, 05:37 PM
yea im not afraid to admit that i laughed at the texans drafting slaton and then i laughed at a wvu homer in my fantasy league drafting slaton in the 16th round of our keeper league. guess whos laughing now? not me!

Go_Eagles77
12-08-2008, 06:19 PM
All these great RBs and the eagles traded a 4th round pick for Lorenzo Booker. Just dandy.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-08-2008, 06:19 PM
guess whos laughing now?

Brian Urlacher

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2842887672_5ec13d5d65.jpg?v=0

SeanTaylorRIP
12-08-2008, 06:45 PM

Shame on you and everyone else, no one even mentioned my boy Tim Hightower. He may be struggling a bit as the featured back but he still leads all rookie RB's with 10 rushing TD's. That's top 10 in the entire league. He still provides you with great pass blocking and a receiving threat also. I think he suffers from that offense not being committed enough to the run as well as not having the best running schemes. At worst he's a beast goalline back and with his work ethic, attitude, and natural running ability I'd take him over Lenwhale White. I still contend that he will turn out to be a Marion Barber type back. Maybe not at that level, but still a starting RB in this league.

Also if we are talking rookie RB's you all also forgot about Benjarvus-Green Ellis who has started 3 games at RB for the Patriots and has 5 rushing TD's. Also there is Jamaal Charles who started 2 games for the Chiefs before LJ came back and was looking like a home run threat with a 5.7 ypc average. Also Ryan Torain who looked good in the first half as a starter but like all other Denver RB's found himself on the IR. Other guys who made rosters, Jacob Hester(hybrid), Kregg, Lumpkin, Mike Hart, and James Johnson. Also Chauncey Washington looked good for the Jags in the preseason and looks like he could get a shot in the NFL. Absolutely Ridiculous rookie RB class to say the least.

Look how many guys are starters or started a game this year:
-Steve Slaton
-Matt Forte
-Chris Johnson
-Jonathan Stewart
-Tim Hightower
-Rashad Mendenhall
-Darren Mcfadden
-Benjarvus Green Ellis
-Kevin Smith
-Ray Rice
-Ryan Torain
-Peyton Hillis
-Jamaal Charles
-Tashard Choice

other guys on NFL active rosters:
-Felix Jones
-Mike Hart
-Chad Simpson
-James Johnson
-Clifton Smith
-Jacob Hester
-Dantrell Savage

bearsfan_51
12-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah I was right about Slaton (although there are certainly other things I was wrong about).

I had Slaton going to the Titans in the 1st round well after he had fallen out of style. The Titans ended up taking Chris Johnson (another pick I loved that everyone else hated), so I feel very vindicated so far this draft.

Except for Matt Ryan. Dead wrong there.

Bruce Banner
12-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah I was right about Slaton (although there are certainly other things I was wrong about).

I had Slaton going to the Titans in the 1st round well after he had fallen out of style. The Titans ended up taking Chris Johnson (another pick I loved that everyone else hated), so I feel very vindicated so far this draft.

Except for Matt Ryan. Dead wrong there.

Slaton's junior campaign scared me off. I was still wrong there.

Dead wrong about Ryan.

Right about CJ also. He is exactly what they needed.

bored of education
12-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I was not wrong.

Malaka
12-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I was not wrong.

You are never right though...

I was right on Slaton I always liked him, but I really thought the Titans should have drafted Devin Thomas so I was wrong there, and Matt Ryan... I hated him so much partially because of the pic Scott had on the scouting profile, but dead wrong there.

giantsfan
12-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Seriously, the kid had great short area quickness and made good cuts. He can't run to the outside as dominantly as he could in college but he was always a good natural runner, durability and how long he'd hold up as a smaller back where really his only limitations in my mind. That said the third round was the right spot for him to go and Houston's doing a good job of maximizing his talents with their running scheme.

GB12
12-08-2008, 09:56 PM
This is exactly what I said about Slaton -

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=851335&highlight=slaton#post851335

Lo and behold, he ends up with a zone blocking team and is doing well. And GB might not have all the problems they're having now running the ball if Slaton were aboard.

Sidenote - I still hate the zone blocking style of offense. It makes me sick to see 300 pound OL near the sideline trying to take out a DB's knees. That isn't football.
Don't be too proud of yourself. You're one of a thousand who said Slaton to Green Bay. In fact that's really the reason I didn't like Slaton. I got so ******* sick of seeing people give Slaton to Green Bay in the first round.

ironman4579
12-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I'll be honest, I didn't think Slaton would be more than a decent change of pace back. But he's a much better inside runner than I gave him credit for. I was dead wrong on this guy.

comahan
12-08-2008, 10:33 PM
I didnt like him in college, and rolled my eyes when we took him.

Consider me pleasantly surprised.

OzTitan
12-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Can't say I expected Slaton to be this good this soon, but I've never doubted a RB because of size before he is given a chance as it isn't the end all quality.

I think the Texans OL has been quite underrated this year too. They seem to be a lot better than years past.

tjsunstein
12-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Zone blocking is the best thing to ever happen to Slaton and Slaton is the best thing that ever happened to my fantasy team.

LonghornsLegend
12-09-2008, 12:49 AM
This can't be the same guy who was at West Virginia, I don't know if I've ever seen him run as hard in college as he has lately...I thought he would be a decent RB, but nowhere near as strong and explosive ...I know he's in a great fit for him in a ZBS but I've been shocked to say the least at his play.

Halsey
12-09-2008, 01:48 AM
This year shows yet again why teams with top 10 picks should rarely take a RB. The one RB that did go top 10 has had health issues and hasn't lived up to the hype even when on the field. Teams that took RB's outside the top 10 are getting good production from them. It's too easy to find good RB's and too hard to find good players at positions like QB, OT, DE, DT, CB to waste that high a pick on a back.

bigbluedefense
12-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I actually didn't really have an opinion on the guy. I didn't follow him all that much in college, and stayed away from commenting on him.

I probably would be against him though, just knowing my preferences.

giantsfan
12-09-2008, 11:57 AM
I actually didn't really have an opinion on the guy. I didn't follow him all that much in college, and stayed away from commenting on him.

I probably would be against him though, just knowing my preferences.

I dunno he was really quick with great short area agility and he made some sick cuts. there was a lot to like about the kid as long as you kept in mind that he's a little guy and doesn't have 4.3 speed.

Kurve
12-09-2008, 12:31 PM
wow few of you calling mcfadden a bust already wow!.... after one season him lingering with turf toe and being the second rb behind fargas. You give him snaps he does well week 2 with pretty much one half of play he runs for 160+ yards and a td so he has the talent, being with the raiders doesnt help either. I think youll see him breaking out next year for sure when he will be the number one rb.

Gay Ork Wang
12-09-2008, 12:38 PM
wow few of you calling mcfadden a bust already wow!.... after one season him lingering with turf toe and being the second rb behind fargas. You give him snaps he does well week 2 with pretty much one half of play he runs for 160+ yards and a td so he has the talent, being with the raiders doesnt help either. I think youll see him breaking out next year for sure when he will be the number one rb.
he ran against the Chiefs, its no big deal

rockio42
12-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I had him going to Green Bay in the 3rd because I thought he would be amazing in that scheme and splitting carries with Ryan Grant and I got destroyed for it

bigbluedefense
12-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I dunno he was really quick with great short area agility and he made some sick cuts. there was a lot to like about the kid as long as you kept in mind that he's a little guy and doesn't have 4.3 speed.

yeah i couldn't really comment bc i never saw him play. im sure though, if i were to rewind the clock, his size would turn me off. i generally favor the power philosophy, so smaller guys would turn me off.

especially with running backs.

ChezPower4
12-09-2008, 01:14 PM
I had him going to Green Bay in the 3rd because I thought he would be amazing in that scheme and splitting carries with Ryan Grant and I got destroyed for it

That would have been ok with me.