Chief49er
12-08-2008, 11:10 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/Chiefdustin/output-5.gif

ams
12-09-2008, 05:22 PM
8-5

5-8

OUCH!!

And it was an illegal hit buddy, well actually, I guess helmet to helmet contact is only called when it's a star player like Anquan Boldin getting hit (even though that hit was completely unintentional and the Cardinals had no business throwin the ball into the endzone at that point in the game anyways). I'm also glad to see that Patrick Willis gets fired up by illegally hitting a player and then injuring him. Yay!

derza222
12-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah that was a huge hit but pretty dirty and unnecessary. Smith was defenseless, not moving, down, and it looked like there was a little helmet to helmet. Honestly if a guy was essentially kneeling on the ground and not moving I could probably put a highlight hit on him and I'm not a huge guy by any stretch of the imagination.

PACKmanN
12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
lolz, Willis was making the tackle at the lowest level, it just happened that he was being tackled from behind when Willis made the tackle...and Willis lead with his shoulder as well.

Borat
12-09-2008, 09:16 PM
And it was an illegal hit buddy, well actually, I guess helmet to helmet contact is only called when it's a star player like Anquan Boldin getting hit (even though that hit was completely unintentional and the Cardinals had no business throwin the ball into the endzone at that point in the game anyways). I'm also glad to see that Patrick Willis gets fired up by illegally hitting a player and then injuring him. Yay!

Yeah that was a huge hit but pretty dirty and unnecessary. Smith was defenseless, not moving, down, and it looked like there was a little helmet to helmet. Honestly if a guy was essentially kneeling on the ground and not moving I could probably put a highlight hit on him and I'm not a huge guy by any stretch of the imagination.

Ahahahahhaha. LOL. Are you guys even looking at that video? Hilarious.

derza222
12-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Ahahahahhaha. LOL. Are you guys even looking at that video? Hilarious.

You're right I was off there, but he was clearly being slowed down before Willis hit him. It's clearly a lot easier to put a big hit on someone when they're not moving as fast, and Smith was being slowed down and in an incredibly prone position. An impressive hit, but I've seen better in considerably more difficult circumstances. Willis didn't need to hit him either because whoever was behind him was going to bring him down.

Borat
12-09-2008, 11:08 PM
You're right I was off there, but he was clearly being slowed down before Willis hit him. It's clearly a lot easier to put a big hit on someone when they're not moving as fast, and Smith was being slowed down and in an incredibly prone position. An impressive hit, but I've seen better in considerably more difficult circumstances. Willis didn't need to hit him either because whoever was behind him was going to bring him down.

For sure, there have been many better hits. I wasn't even that "wowed" by the hit. I was actually more into the sound of the hit. It sounded worse than it really was. I just think it was wrong to call it dirty. There is no way that was a dirty hit. Willis can't assume that tackle will be made, and the speed of the game wouldn't allow him to stop and consider not hitting him. Smith just got tackled in an awkward way with both knees going down parallel to the ground. If anything, Michael Lewis could have let go once Willis hit him. That would have lessened that backwards motion.

Edit: Also, Chief should have posted this in the Niner forum or NFL forum. Putting it here was kind of bad taste.

derza222
12-09-2008, 11:57 PM
For sure, there have been many better hits. I wasn't even that "wowed" by the hit. I was actually more into the sound of the hit. It sounded worse than it really was. I just think it was wrong to call it dirty. There is no way that was a dirty hit. Willis can't assume that tackle will be made, and the speed of the game wouldn't allow him to stop and consider not hitting him. Smith just got tackled in an awkward way with both knees going down parallel to the ground. If anything, Michael Lewis could have let go once Willis hit him. That would have lessened that backwards motion.

Edit: Also, Chief should have posted this in the Niner forum or NFL forum. Putting it here was kind of bad taste.

You're right, it wasn't a dirty hit just...tough situation for all of the players to be put in I guess. It looks a lot worse slowed down is part of the problem. You make a good point about Lewis letting him go, that definitely made it look considerably worse than it actually was. I'll be honest, the way Smith snapped back and got sandwiched I wasn't sure if he was going to play again for quite awhile immediately.

Borat
12-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Yeah I seriously thought he broke his back. I was worried for the guy. Then I saw the replay and thought he might have messed up his knees. What's the word on him now? Is he injured?

Chief49er
12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
The reason I posted this here is because I am a Niner fan living in NYC. People have been asking for Willis's suspension.
For a fair hit, this is football and the guy got knocked the F out by a fair hit. Willis had the goal of stopping a play, and he did the right thing. Lead with your shoulder, get low and hit that fool in the mouth.

Great play!

The Great Jonathan Vilma
12-12-2008, 09:40 PM
it was a legal hit, not sure why someone would call for a suspension. I don't know if it is all that hype worthy, considering the situation of the play, he didn't 'stick' him. Understandably, it was a 'good' and quality sounding hit, but aside from the impact, it wasn't necessarily what should be called a great hit in the essense of how it was done, but he brought the thunder and delivered a message. How it took place doesn't matter, it sends a message, and that is what any player/team wants, the 'don't come across the middle' type attitude.

Although i don't think the manner of which the thread was made was completely necessary, the first response was also a little unnecessary, the Chief fans suffer enough watching their games, just as we have suffered the terrible coaching of Mangini numerous times this season (run the damn ball you idiot!).

Nothing wrong with the hit in my mind, and to liken the Smith on Boldin hit to this.....come on. Questioning why the Cardinals are throwing to score TDs in a game, regardless of the time, is a little touchy. You try to score. I agree Warner set him up, but i'd say that the two plays aren't all that comparable. Don't just baselessly defend something because it sways in the favour of 'your' team.