PDA

View Full Version : RB Evan Royster, Penn State

EarthWindandFire
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
What do you guys think of Penn State RB Evan Royster? He doesn't do one thing particularly well, but he is solid in all phases of the game. As far as his drafty prospects go, I know he is coming back next year, but what kind of NFL player do you think he could be. I see a Chris Brown type player as a good comparison.

captainjack27
12-09-2008, 11:11 AM
He does a lot of things well actually, he just isn't exceptional at one thing or another. Very balanced back. The one thing that's helped royster out though is how good the Penn State Offensive Line is. Not to discredit Royster at all, he's a very good running back, but with a line that big it's not as difficult to put up those numbers.

EarthWindandFire
12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Their line definately helps his cause. I'd be interested to see if he could run in the 4.5s, this kid was an All American Lacrosse player who was recruited by Hopkins so hes definately got the athletic ability. Penn State running backs are known to be total busts or just flat out headcases once they reach the pros however so that cant help his cause.

captainjack27
12-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Their line definately helps his cause. I'd be interested to see if he could run in the 4.5s, this kid was an All American Lacrosse player who was recruited by Hopkins so hes definately got the athletic ability. Penn State running backs are known to be total busts or just flat out headcases once they reach the pros however so that cant help his cause.
Well to be fair, Curt Warner and Ki-Janna Carter could have been very good backs, but injuries hampered there careers. Warner actually was the seahawks all time rusher for awhile. Then you have back's like Curtis Enis and DJ Dozier who never did anything. And of course there's Larry Johnson, who as good as he is, is a total prick.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2008, 11:27 AM
One thing that I (and NFL scouts probably do as well) like about him is he is deceptively tough to bring down. I'm a PSU fan and really like his potential. As said before he is a balanced RB, he shows good vision and is pretty quick in his lateral motion. He isn't overpowering defneses, but shows some power. I swear one out of every 6 or 8 touches impresses me. He has had countless plays where it looks like he should have been brought down, but somehow he manages to either cross the first down marker or break a big play out of nothing. He has very good balance and it shows on those plays. It also shows his heart and his will to make plays. He may not be the most talented RB in college football, not even close to it, but he just runs like a football player should, and that is something that I like about him. If he keeps his production up next year, expect him to declare and be a first day pick.

EarthWindandFire
12-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Im a big PSU fan as well. Hopefully he can reverse our recent trend of bad luck with pro backs. Tony Hunt didn't help matters much either. Your definately right about his toughness, thats definately not an issue with him. I just think his lack of breakaway speed will limit his first round potential. However, I can definately see a 1400 or 1500 yard season next year, even with all the loses on the line. PSU always seems to have a solid line and their backs always seem to get better with age. I believe he can be a second rounder if all breaks right and he works out well. He'll be a solid pro back.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Im a big PSU fan as well. Hopefully he can reverse our recent trend of bad luck with pro backs. Tony Hunt didn't help matters much either. Your definately right about his toughness, thats definately not an issue with him. I just think his lack of breakaway speed will limit his first round potential. However, I can definately see a 1400 or 1500 yard season next year, even with all the loses on the line. PSU always seems to have a solid line and their backs always seem to get better with age. I believe he can be a second rounder if all breaks right and he works out well. He'll be a solid pro back.

Don't get me going on Hunt...

Speed is a concern, as it has been with any PSU RB the past few years, but he is definitely faster than Hunt, and I'm sure his combine will show it. He isn't going to blow anyone away with his 40, but he won't be a major dissapointment either. Watching him play, he doesn't have breakaway speed, per say (sp), but he doesn't get run down too much either. Most of the time the gap remains constant. People will just say "Oh thats Big 10 speed for you", but it isn't always the case. He has adequate speed, he might be a little slow in the NFL for RBs, but with his quickness and change of direction he will make a great RB for some team. Also, he has good size too at 6'1''ish and about 220 pounds I beleive, so that won't hurt him either.

Edit: Listed at 212, not 220. He is 6'1'', at least I'm not totally losing it.

DeathbyStat
12-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I like the kid but it really hinges on what he runs for a forty time. I like his feet and the balance that he runs with

SMoore
12-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I love watching Royster run. Every game he just has a few plays where he somehow gets through a crowd and makes a big play. He has ok speed, but pretty good vision and power. Haven't seen much of him as a receiver so hard to grade him on that. He looks like he gives a good effort when he stays into block though.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Being an assistant coach at a rival district school to Westfield I have seen Royster play since his sophomore season there and I can say the kid is so legit. He is one of the smartest and natural runners I have ever seen. He just knows how to feel out the line and find the open holes. His vision is superb. His hands out of the backfield are great and he is good in picking up pass blocks. Like others said speed will ultimately determine if he goes in the first 4 rounds of the draft or not. He still has 2 more years after this year and I can see a top 10 Heisman finish before his career is over. I think at the very least he can be a solid 3rd down back ala Chester Taylor.

captainjack27
12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Being an assistant coach at a rival district school to Westfield I have seen Royster play since his sophomore season there and I can say the kid is so legit. He is one of the smartest and natural runners I have ever seen. He just knows how to feel out the line and find the open holes. His vision is superb. His hands out of the backfield are great and he is good in picking up pass blocks. Like others said speed will ultimately determine if he goes in the first 4 rounds of the draft or not. He still has 2 more years after this year and I can see a top 10 Heisman finish before his career is over. I think at the very least he can be a solid 3rd down back ala Chester Taylor.

I think Chester Taylor is a very good comparison here. I think if he can be duo-ed with a premier back starting out he'll be solid right out of the gate which could hopefully lead to greener pastures.

Comphockey7
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Seeing him go against USC's defense should be fun, but considering how good their D is, I don't think a bad game should go against him tho.

Mr. Stiller
12-09-2008, 04:28 PM
I like the kid but it really hinges on what he runs for a forty time. I like his feet and the balance that he runs with

I'm more concerned on his 10/20 yard splits.

Rarely do RB's break one for 40 yards (Unless you have ridiculous Chris Johnson like speed.)

I want to see him be a good receiver next year out of the backfield. And how good his explosion is.

underscore
12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Royster's best asset is his vision. He didn't even average 16 carries per game this year, so I'm sure many have a durability question mark next to him. His speed and hands are fine. Not going to wow anyone at a future combine, but not a hindrance either.

Menardo75
12-09-2008, 07:27 PM
He is a very explosive runner from what I have seen. I am not sure about a feature roll, but in a roll where he is the homerun threat. He could be a very solid.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-09-2008, 08:04 PM
He is a very explosive runner from what I have seen. I am not sure about a feature roll, but in a roll where he is the homerun threat. He could be a very solid.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Stefphon Green? I think Royster can be a workhorse back he gets stronger as the game goes on and always finds the open hole.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Are you sure you are not thinking of Stefphon Green? I think Royster can be a workhorse back he gets stronger as the game goes on and always finds the open hole.

I'm thinking the same thing. Green is a very good back himself. He has more speed, and has good patience and vision. Penn State has a dangerous group of runners for the near future with these two. Green is rumored to have that Chris Johnson type speed, but watching both of them play, that just can't be true, or at least it doesn't come with him onto the football field. The reason Royster doesn't have a high amount of carries per game is becasue of the talent between him and Green. I'll bet Green averaged 8-10 carries per game. Its because Green has great speed (just a little overhyped) and he is great with the ball in his hands. If Green weren't on the team or injured, I am sure Royster could carry the load for Penn State. He just doesn't have to with Green a great option to run with as well. Honestly, I think Green could emerge as a great prospect as well. I honestly think Royster may leave after his junior year, if he is successful, and after that, Green will take over and see the role that Royster has. Green may not have super speed, but there certainly won't be questions about his 40 time, and he has shown the potential to be a good RB. He has the assets as well to go with it.

underscore
12-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Green needs to work on getting going in traffic. Once he gets 3 clean strides in, he's tough to catch, but often struggled to get going.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I think Royster will be the workhorse back next year with Butler, Williams, and Norwood gone, and especially in 2 years. Green though is the home run hitter but he should not be the featured back at least not until Royster is gone. Green definitely has a different burst, but I don't see 4.2 speed, maybe 4.45.

MaxV
12-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Green's biggest weakness is Royster's biggest strength, vision.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I think Royster will be the workhorse back next year with Butler, Williams, and Norwood gone, and especially in 2 years. Green though is the home run hitter but he should not be the featured back at least not until Royster is gone. Green definitely has a different burst, but I don't see 4.2 speed, maybe 4.45.

That is exactly what I see from Green, and I agree on your viewpoint about Royster with the big named receivers leaving. Green may be faster than 4.45, but certianly not in the 4.2s like the rumors. He could be anywhere form a high 4.3 to the 4.5 you have, I could be way off base though. He just seems faster than that to me.

I have a feeling Penn State will be more of a smash mouth offense next season, with Royster and Clark as the main weapons, and Green seeing his time. It will be interesting to see how the younger WRs do, as some have shown some slight glimpses of promise.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Next year I'd like to see a lot of option with Clark, Royster, and Green all in the backfield. Triple Option baby.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Green's biggest weakness is Royster's biggest strength, vision.

I've seen probably 95% or Green's rushes this season, and I can tell you he doesn't lack vision. It is also a strength of his. I was just about to post something about him actually. Green is a speed back, no doubt about it, but he also shows good strength, and he is more balanced than most would think. He is, like Royster, harder to bring down than expected. Though he doesn't have the plays that stirke me like Royster, he can really take a hit and break a tackle. He isn't a normal speed back who relies solely on his athletic ability. He posesses the mental capabilities as well, along with some of the toher things I mentioned.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Next year I'd like to see a lot of option with Clark, Royster, and Green all in the backfield. Triple Option baby.

Exactly what I was thinking, that could be dangerous.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Green needs to work on getting going in traffic. Once he gets 3 clean strides in, he's tough to catch, but often struggled to get going.

I think his problem is he doesn't move hsi legs as quickly as Royster when he is bottled up, so it is a bit easier to bring him down than Royster, but he is a freshman, he has plenty of time to develop.

SMoore
12-09-2008, 09:54 PM
I've seen probably 95% or Green's rushes this season, and I can tell you he doesn't lack vision. It is also a strength of his. I was just about to post something about him actually. Green is a speed back, no doubt about it, but he also shows good strength, and he is more balanced than most would think. He is, like Royster, harder to bring down than expected. Though he doesn't have the plays that stirke me like Royster, he can really take a hit and break a tackle. He isn't a normal speed back who relies solely on his athletic ability. He posesses the mental capabilities as well, along with some of the toher things I mentioned.

I disagree. I have also watched a lot of Green this year and his vision is average. PSU's lines dominated big-ten lines most of the year and Green benefited greatly. He was impressive and I think he will improve with more experience, but for right now his vision is a bit below Royster's.

eaglesalltheway
12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I disagree. I have also watched a lot of Green this year and his vision is average. PSU's lines dominated big-ten lines most of the year and Green benefited greatly. He was impressive and I think he will improve with more experience, but for right now his vision is a bit below Royster's.

I absolutely agree his vision isn't the level of Royster's, there is no arguing that. But Royster really does have good vision. Green's vision certainly isn't a weakness though, that was my point. Green isn't really that shifty for his speed and athletecism. He is like a speed back with a pwer back mentality. I personally love that type of mentality. But a guy with his speed and athletecism should be able to show a greater juking ability, or mastery of quick cuts. He does cut well, but not great. I know he is till young and has time to improve, but really his vision isn't bad at all, it is certainly not a weakness, and from what I've seen of him, in my opinion his vision is above average.

MaxV
12-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I didn't say that Green's vision was terrible, but it is inconsistant.

At times, I've seen him run straight ahead into heavy traffic, when he could've made a cut into a big hole.

skarocksoi
12-10-2008, 11:29 AM
I didn't say that Green's vision was terrible, but it is inconsistant.

At times, I've seen him run straight ahead into heavy traffic, when he could've made a cut into a big hole.

He needs to look for the cutback lanes. He could bust a big play if he would make the cutback while the D is flowing in the other direction.

Also, he is more of an open space guy than a pound it up the middle guy. Yet the coaches always seem to call those plays for him. I think his speed really shows when you get him in the open field. Just look at him when he runs a screen. He took one all the way earlier this year.

But back to Royster, one thing people haven't mentioned is how fluid his running motion is. He just glides. And his balance is great too.

STARHEATHER
12-10-2008, 07:48 PM
he seems a little to skinny especially in the lower body for my taste. he has a year or two. decent back but not showing much special out there. i dont like his body type. if youre going to have a dmac body you best be as freaky as dmac and even then it doesnt guarantee much. i dont like backs built like wrs. the only exception would be a real big play threat i dont see that from royster at the nfl level. its going to be tough for him to survive and if you cant run them over got to run around them and i dont know if he can do that at the nfl level. he still has time. needs to add lower body bulk and power.

Menardo75
12-10-2008, 07:57 PM
he seems a little to skinny especially in the lower body for my taste. he has a year or two. decent back but not showing much special out there. i dont like his body type. if youre going to have a dmac body you best be as freaky as dmac and even then it doesnt guarantee much. i dont like backs built like wrs. the only exception would be a real big play threat i dont see that from royster at the nfl level. its going to be tough for him to survive and if you cant run them over got to run around them and i dont know if he can do that at the nfl level. he still has time. needs to add lower body bulk and power.

You probably do like them REALLY big in the lower body don't you?

STARHEATHER
12-10-2008, 09:30 PM
i like a certain body type and certain physical traits for each position. royster doesnt have great nfl back traits.

giantsfan
12-10-2008, 09:30 PM
You probably do like them REALLY big in the lower body don't you?

He likes them long and thick below the waste.

Menardo75
12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
i like a certain body type and certain physical traits for each position. royster doesnt have great nfl back traits.

What body type is your favorite? Personally I like big busted :)

eaglesalltheway
12-10-2008, 10:28 PM

Speaking out of your ass. His legs are certainly thicker than DMac. If you watch him run you can see his legs certainly have enough power. He breaks so many tackles due to the power in his legs.

STARHEATHER
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
but hes not running 4.33 and breaking 80 yarders thats kind of the issue. if youre going to be one of the wr body types rb. i just think you have to have the top end wheels. i dont see too many evan royster clones dominating the position

CroomDawgs
12-12-2008, 02:47 PM

I love how he completely missed the joke there.

captainjack27
12-12-2008, 03:17 PM

Wow, can you please never post again?

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 01:07 PM
ok he does not have skinny lower body compared to nfl backs. its just impossible isnt it. just because you said so.

CroomDawgs
12-13-2008, 01:10 PM
ok he does not have skinny lower body compared to nfl backs. its just impossible isnt it. just because you said so.

There's been a lot of backs who coming out were "too skinny" for the NFL. I think the post was more referred as to the point of you never post anything remotely close to intelligent.

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 07:04 PM
as long as im right i dont care if its intelligent or not

CroomDawgs
12-14-2008, 03:07 AM

Hence why you have the satus that you do.

captainjack27
12-14-2008, 12:22 PM

You're never right though.