PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker to New England?

Windy
03-03-2007, 01:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2786731

Wow.

remix 6
03-03-2007, 01:33 PM
we also signed Sammy Morris

draftguru151
03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Wow. I love it. I'll take a 2nd rounder any day for Welker.

The Legend
Broncos and Patriots are just on fire

Geo
Welker is underrated, but a 2nd round pick isn't cheap. Might work out for both sides.

The Pats signed Sammy Morris? Shoot, I was hoping the Colts would give him a look.

IndyColtScout
I don't get giving up a 2nd rounder for Wes Welker. He is a guy who is a fit w/ the Pats & can improve, but a 2nd rounder?

Flyboy
Wes Welker is so underrated. TTU alumi representin'.

bills_red
03-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Wow. I love it. I'll take a 2nd rounder any day for Welker.

I would too.

remix 6
03-03-2007, 01:39 PM
i agree 2nd might be too much but i trust any decision right now

BehrenMan007
03-03-2007, 01:41 PM
ill take a 2 for wes

draftguru151
03-03-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm sad to see Morris go though. I really hope Ricky gets back into the league or we bring in Chris Brown or someone. He was a very good all around player.

jetsfan3
03-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Wes Welker is a beast and an incredibly hard worker who's motor never stops. Good deal for both teams.

Number 10
03-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Helps and hurts both teams....

Patriots get a guy that seems to be progressing as a WR very well and with Brady throwing the ball instead of Harrington/Lemon/Culpepper....we could see how good he really he is. But is he worth a 2nd rounder?

Dolphins gain a 2nd round pick which should enable them to have a solid day one or even trade up a few spots if Branch is available and still have 3 day one picks. But losing guys like Welker don't seem like a big deal in March, but during the season when you need jack of all trades player is when it can hurt. That is why I am glad the Giants locked up Tyree for 5 years.

This just strengthens my point that the teams that know how to draft.....know that this class is weak.

Grizzlegom
03-03-2007, 01:46 PM
wow...2nd round pick for welker...thats a win-win situation. we match we keep a great player, we dont, we get a 2nd rounder.

nyjets5125
03-03-2007, 01:57 PM
yeah its probably a little too high for welker, but the pats have 2 first round picks so they can afford it

you guys still think theyll draft a WR in round 1?

Chucky
03-03-2007, 02:11 PM
bad move by the pats

remix 6
03-03-2007, 02:12 PM
bad move by the pats

na we need a WR and its obvious that Patriots are comforatble giving up a late 2nd for a WR who has talent and can PR. im not a big fan of this either but it sort of makes sense..i would have seen Stallworth here :(

Chucky
03-03-2007, 02:18 PM
you can get a better reciever with a 2nd rounder than wes welker.They would be better of signing a FA or packaging that second rounder along with one of their firsts to get a top Wr in this draft

XxXdragonXxX
03-03-2007, 02:26 PM
To me it's kind of surprising that they would go for Welker and not D.J. Hackett who also would cost a 2nd round pick.

Maybe they value Welker higher because of his return capabilities.

briz5x
03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
well the pats lost Deion Branch last year, and got a 1st round pick for him. Now they replace him with Wes Welker for a 2nd round pick, Branch was a second round pick. Somehow it seems the pats always come out on top.

Staubach12
03-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Wes will be huge in New England. Great signing.

P-L
03-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I think a 2nd Round pick is a bit much, but I really don't think it is any worse than the Colts giving up a 2nd Round pick for "Booger" McFarland.

princefielder28
03-03-2007, 03:11 PM
If i were Miami I would take the compensation

IndyColtScout
03-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I think a 2nd Round pick is a bit much, but I really don't think it is any worse than the Colts giving up a 2nd Round pick for "Booger" McFarland.

Except Booger had "pro bowl & super bowl" on his resume.

princefielder28
03-03-2007, 03:18 PM

And his name is Booger.

Yeah, Wes hasn't proven as much as MacFarland so it may be a stretch for NE

IndyColtScout
03-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Does this make Tedd Ginn a possibility @ #9? WR/KR & PR is somewhat of a need now for MIA. Picking Ginn would be like 2 birds w/ one stone.

yourfavestoner
03-03-2007, 03:20 PM
To me it's kind of surprising that they would go for Welker and not D.J. Hackett who also would cost a 2nd round pick.

Maybe they value Welker higher because of his return capabilities.

Funny is you think D.J. Hackett would cost anybody a second round pick. The Hawks are going to be lucky if they get a second rounder for Darrell Jackson, let alone D.J. Hackett.

draftguru151
03-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Does this make Tedd Ginn a possibility @ #9? WR/KR & PR is somewhat of a need now for MIA. Picking Ginn would be like 2 birds w/ one stone.

You don't take a #3/KR/PR with the #9 overall pick.

Pittbc7
03-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Great pick up for the Pats. He could probably develop into their number 1 if given a shot. I think Brady will enjoy throwing to him because he catches most everything and is not afraid to go over the middle. He seems like a New England guy too.

Eaglez.Fan
03-03-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm sad to see Morris go though. I really hope Ricky gets back into the league or we bring in Chris Brown or someone. He was a very good all around player.

I doubt Ricky comes back, he reportedly been having alot of fun in Toronto. And he did rank up the yards once he got used to the game. I fully expect him to stay in the CFL.

XxXdragonXxX
03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Funny is you think D.J. Hackett would cost anybody a second round pick. The Hawks are going to be lucky if they get a second rounder for Darrell Jackson, let alone D.J. Hackett.

Um, Hackett is an RFA tendered at the same level as Welker, so yes he would cost a 2nd round pick. And he's a better receiver than Welker, Welker however is a good return man.

draftguru151
03-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I doubt Ricky comes back, he reportedly been having alot of fun in Toronto. And he did rank up the yards once he got used to the game. I fully expect him to stay in the CFL.

He has already filed paper work to get back to the NFL. It's not his choice any way.

briz5x
03-03-2007, 03:47 PM
its more like a 3rd round pick, #60 is way down at the bottom of round 2. Its not like its a high 2nd rounder that you could snag a 1st round player that falls out of the first round with.

princefielder28
03-03-2007, 03:50 PM
its more like a 3rd round pick, #60 is way down at the bottom of round 2. Its not like its a high 2nd rounder that you could snag a 1st round player that falls out of the first round with.

it still the fact though that it's a day 1 pick for player that hasn't quite proven himself yet

briz5x
03-03-2007, 03:54 PM
im sold on his return abilities, we'll see what he can do as WR in the pats offense.

draftguru151
03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Welker has proved himself. He led the team in catches last year. But I think all he proved is he is a great slot receiver. Even when Booker went down Hagan would go wide and Welker would be in the slot.

And a 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder even if it is a late 2nd rounder.

Caddy
03-03-2007, 03:57 PM
He does seem like a good fit for the Patriots.

princefielder28
03-03-2007, 03:59 PM
im sold on his return abilities, we'll see what he can do as WR in the pats offense.

You don't trade a second rounder for a return man unless it's Hester but he'll have more pressure on him in NE b/c of what they're giving up

briz5x
03-03-2007, 04:06 PM
You don't trade a second rounder for a return man unless it's Hester but he'll have more pressure on him in NE b/c of what they're giving up

hes not just a return man hes a slot WR as well, he had close to 70 catches last season for the fish.

jackalope
03-03-2007, 05:13 PM
they're giving up a second rounder for him? it seems like they could trade their 2nd for a better receiver.

remix 6
03-03-2007, 05:18 PM
they're giving up a second rounder for him? it seems like they could trade their 2nd for a better receiver.

i agree but i guess BB has really looked into him. nothing is official once again..boston media has only said that were going to "court" him which i think means meet with him.

P-L
03-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Really? What year did he get elected to the Pro Bowl? Secondly, what does him winning a Super Bowl three and a half years ago have to do with anything? Your a Colts fan, I thought everyone of you Colts fans believed that teams win Super Bowls, not players. He never made a Pro Bowl and the fact that he won a Super Bowl almost four years ago (at the time) with great talent surrounding him doesn't change the fact that his skills are diminishing and he isn't that good anymore.

Jay
03-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Eh, not a fan of the move.

JoeMontainya
03-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow im guessing the Pats wont take a WR now early?

WR's could fall into round 2 since there are like 5 worthy or 1st RD grades.

Maybe Bowe in RD2?

EHobbs27
03-03-2007, 06:26 PM
I love this move by the Pats. While I don't like giving up a 2nd rounder, we still do have 2 first rounders and a 3rd rounder to work with. It also takes a need away at WR allowing the Pats to look defense and defense in round 1. Welker is young and has a lot of potential. I am excited about this move for the Pats.

Also hopefully this will take away the "Pats are cheap" label away.

locseti
03-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Wes Welker seems like a player Bill Belichick would really like, a la Tim Dwight

TCU
03-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I like this move, and if you forgot the Pats have 2 first round picks (from trading Branch). Welker will help out NE and Miami is getting a good deal too by picking up a second round pick, this seems to me like a win-win.

IndyColtScout
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Really? What year did he get elected to the Pro Bowl? Secondly, what does him winning a Super Bowl three and a half years ago have to do with anything? Your a Colts fan, I thought everyone of you Colts fans believed that teams win Super Bowls, not players. He never made a Pro Bowl and the fact that he won a Super Bowl almost four years ago (at the time) with great talent surrounding him doesn't change the fact that his skills are diminishing and he isn't that good anymore.

Booger has been a pro bowl alternate twice, thank you. Booger is was better at his position than Wes Welker. That's all I was saying. Therefore, it's not a good comparison when saying the Colts use their 2nd on Booger. Booger has had like 3 or 4 good years in the league. Wes has had one decent season. Nothing alike.

jsagan77
03-03-2007, 06:51 PM
He's a younger whiter Troy Brown. He will be very productive in NE but a 2nd rounder? I guess it is a high second rounder is questionable but BB has that team winning year in and year out...

Ace
03-03-2007, 06:51 PM
2nd rounder for Welker? Oh God yes.

Welker is one of my favorite Dolphins, but this team needs draft picks in the worst way right now. A 2nd rounder for a 3rd WR is pretty damn good I'd say. And you know this could help Chambers out more since he is a better slot WR then an outside WR, but since Welker is a great slot guy we had to move Chambers on the outside. So Cameron can use Chambers the way he should be used.

Oh and I still hate the Patriots even more now. Thanks for giving up a 2nd for Welker, but I still hate you for taking him.

bigmac076
03-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I love this move by the Pats. While I don't like giving up a 2nd rounder, we still do have 2 first rounders and a 3rd rounder to work with. It also takes a need away at WR allowing the Pats to look defense and defense in round 1. Welker is young and has a lot of potential. I am excited about this move for the Pats.

Also hopefully this will take away the "Pats are cheap" label away.
The Adalius Thomas signing alone takes it away, this will definetly put the nail in the coffin of the "we build through the draft" mentality the Patriots once lived by.

Marino13
03-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Adam Scheffter is reporting the deal is 7 years $38 million. I love Wes, but he's not worth that much

jetsfan3
03-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Adam Scheffter is reporting the deal is 7 years $38 million. I love Wes, but he's not worth that much

Yes he is. He was Miami's best offensive player last year. I'll say it agian, he is a leader, an incredible hard worker with a nonstop motor, and brings a positive influence into the locker room. Also, he's a special teams animal. He's tough, and will always pull out that extra 4 yards on a return. When you think the other team has him, he gets 4 more yards. And he's also tough as nails.

draftguru151
03-03-2007, 08:31 PM
He wasn't our best player, he was our best receiver, Brown was the best offensive skills player. Welker isn't a leader. He is a good return man but has a lot of fair catches and isn't really a thread to take it the distance. I'm sure the deal works out to be not anywhere near that big, but he still isn't worth that much, at least not to Miami. Maybe the Pats can make him into a starting WR that gets more than 10 ypc but all he was in Miami was a slot receiver that caught a lot of underneath stuff and didn't get much YAC.

Grizzlegom
03-03-2007, 10:25 PM
$5 million+ per year for a number three receiver, an average kick returner, and an above average punt returner...sounds pretty steep to me. ill take the second rounder.

Dolfan2788
03-03-2007, 10:49 PM
I guess some people are really down on Welker. But for me a guy that is a great punt returner in the league. An average kick returner and a guy that doesn't drop passes will be worth it to the Pats.

BB wants high character guys that will do it his way and there isn't a better candidate in the entire league than Wes Welker. (Maybe Rod Smith) And even though he did all these things for the fins the 2nd rounder will benefit us more than keeping Wes.

Keep in mind that Wes caught 67 passes from Joey Harrington. With Brady and that offensive system and some of his nifty little moves to gain a couple of extra yards it's not a fantasy to say he could catch 75 passes and have a 1000 yard season. I'm sure Pats fans would have wanted Wes catching those passes in the postseason than Caldwell anyway.

I never knew DJ Hackett was better than Wes Welker but I guess a guy that drops passes whilst having a SB QB throwing the ball to him and also not being as versatile as Wes who has a perennial loser throwing to him is better....

jetsfan3
03-03-2007, 10:51 PM
He wasn't our best player, he was our best receiver, Brown was the best offensive skills player. Welker isn't a leader. He is a good return man but has a lot of fair catches and isn't really a thread to take it the distance. I'm sure the deal works out to be not anywhere near that big, but he still isn't worth that much, at least not to Miami. Maybe the Pats can make him into a starting WR that gets more than 10 ypc but all he was in Miami was a slot receiver that caught a lot of underneath stuff and didn't get much YAC.

Ok he's not a leader, I just threw that in there. He was your best offesnive player. Brown was injured most of the year, and didn't really do anything.

BlindSite
03-03-2007, 11:04 PM
I guess some people are really down on Welker. But for me a guy that is a great punt returner in the league. An average kick returner and a guy that doesn't drop passes will be worth it to the Pats.

BB wants high character guys that will do it his way and there isn't a better candidate in the entire league than Wes Welker. (Maybe Rod Smith) And even though he did all these things for the fins the 2nd rounder will benefit us more than keeping Wes.

Keep in mind that Wes caught 67 passes from Joey Harrington. With Brady and that offensive system and some of his nifty little moves to gain a couple of extra yards it's not a fantasy to say he could catch 75 passes and have a 1000 yard season. I'm sure Pats fans would have wanted Wes catching those passes in the postseason than Caldwell anyway.

I never knew DJ Hackett was better than Wes Welker but I guess a guy that drops passes whilst having a SB QB throwing the ball to him and also not being as versatile as Wes who has a perennial loser throwing to him is better....

I've heard people call him a white steve smith, he's not as good after the catch, but the two are very similar in the way they attack the ball and work well against all types of coverage.

draftguru151
03-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Ok he's not a leader, I just threw that in there. He was your best offesnive player. Brown was injured most of the year, and didn't really do anything.

Brown missed 3 games and had 1000 yards behind an average at best run blocking OL and not much passing game to speak of or a competent OC. You should know how good Brown is, he put up 240 yards on the Jets this year. Randy McMichael had a better year than Welker even with all the drops. When Booker was healthy he was better.

TheChampIsHere
03-04-2007, 01:19 AM
With Troy Brown probably retiring, I think the Pats are looking for a replacement and I think it is a fair comparison. Good return man, standout special teamer, solid receiver with good RAC ability, he could step in and replace Troy Brown. Honestly, if you had to ask whose game does Welker's resemble, the answer would probably have to be Troy Brown. And I can see how that would be worth a 2nd rounder to the Pats, especially with them having made other moves in FA to eliminate needs, such as OLB.

As for the Dolphins, I dont expect them to sign. They have plenty of needs as it is and Welker is a guy they can afford to lose. That 2nd rounder would be very useful and they could get an impact starter.

Finsfan79
03-04-2007, 01:42 AM

brown played more then half of the year :P so it cant be most and when he went out is when we started to lose in the end.

a 2nd rounder to Miami for Welker makes me happy :)

NGSeiler
03-04-2007, 02:13 AM

Probably similarly structured to the huge deal Seattle gave Nate Burleson that really doesn't kick in until later in the contract. Still though, that money and a second rounder for Welker seems a bit much.

remix 6
03-04-2007, 07:26 AM
poison pill :)

locseti
03-04-2007, 07:29 AM
It almost seems like Deion Branch was traded for Wes Welker....

remix 6
03-04-2007, 07:34 AM
It almost seems like Deion Branch was traded for Wes Welker....

expect we got a late first(24th) and we give a late 2nd(60th)

i really hope this doesnt go through or anything. Welker is a great guy and all but a 2nd and then a contract .. ehh

locseti
03-04-2007, 07:37 AM
expect we got a late first(24th) and we give a late 2nd(60th)

i really hope this doesnt go through or anything. Welker is a great guy and all but a 2nd and then a contract .. ehh

Ya, but Welker just seems to me like a guy that Belichick would really go crazy for...Im just happy about the free 4th round pick that we got for Gabriel :)

remix 6
03-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Ya, but Welker just seems to me like a guy that Belichick would really go crazy for...Im just happy about the free 4th round pick that we got for Gabriel :)

it was a 5th

remix 6
03-04-2007, 07:44 AM
The Adalius Thomas signing alone takes it away, this will definetly put the nail in the coffin of the "we build through the draft" mentality the Patriots once lived by.

doesnt make sense though..if were still cheap after getting Colvin and Harrison in '04 and then making a huge offer to Mason and possibly Rolle..then how did we remove the label now with1 big signing opposed to the 2 we have in 2004?

locseti
03-04-2007, 07:52 AM
hey, don't buy into that BS...Thomas was the most sought after FA and that signing alone makes your defense a definite step above what it was. And im happy with the 5th, any draft pick is a plus compared to what we had coming into this draft..

locseti
03-04-2007, 07:55 AM
But you gotta admit we got the best of the almighty Patriots with that Gabriel deal!

remix 6
03-04-2007, 07:55 AM
hey, don't buy into that BS...Thomas was the most sought after FA and that signing alone makes your defense a definite step above what it was. And im happy with the 5th, any draft pick is a plus compared to what we had coming into this draft..

agreed about the draft pick..if u can get anything and somehow get the player back..its good

still wondering WTF went wrong..he was playing well for most part then dissapeared after a big fumble. either Gabriel's attitude or mental toughness or learning the playbook or w.e

locseti
03-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Man, to be honest, Bill Belichick is an asshole. Gabriel was the best receiver you had, and it was clear that he had a rapport with Brady. I bleieve the rumors that he fell out of favor with Belichick. I absolutely could not believe when we picked him up off waivers, cause he really is a good receiver. I guess he just didn't fit the mold.......

remix 6
03-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Man, to be honest, Bill Belichick is an asshole. Gabriel was the best receiver you had, and it was clear that he had a rapport with Brady. I bleieve the rumors that he fell out of favor with Belichick. I absolutely could not believe when we picked him up off waivers, cause he really is a good receiver. I guess he just didn't fit the mold.......

hows BB an asshole? we dont know why Gabriel dissapeared? what if he had poor pratices or didnt work hard enough? what if he was complaining? what if he didnt learn the playbook?

locseti
03-04-2007, 08:32 AM
hows BB an asshole? we dont know why Gabriel dissapeared? what if he had poor pratices or didnt work hard enough? what if he was complaining? what if he didnt learn the playbook?

Well I didn't mean to offend you, but Belichick is kind of a prick..He's a great coach, but you can't argue with the fact that he's kind of an asshole. And you're right, Gabriel's downfall could have been attributed to a number of diferent things, but he sure showed his worth on the field..In the beginning of the season he was tearing it up though, I just kinda get the feeling that Gabriel wasn't the type of player that Belichick particularly liked.

remix 6
03-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Well I didn't mean to offend you, but Belichick is kind of a prick..He's a great coach, but you can't argue with the fact that he's kind of an asshole. And you're right, Gabriel's downfall could have been attributed to a number of diferent things, but he sure showed his worth on the field..In the beginning of the season he was tearing it up though, I just kinda get the feeling that Gabriel wasn't the type of player that Belichick particularly liked.

we've been over BB being a dick, asshole and not classy..we had a thread a couple months back about him vs LT and all that..think w.e u want as fans but hte players enjoy him and enjoy winning

princefielder28
03-04-2007, 09:12 AM

BB has 3 Super bowl rings so what ever he's doing obviously works and nobody should question his decisions

locseti
03-04-2007, 09:19 AM
You're right the players enjoy winning, and I think the A.T. signing will have a great impact on the future of the Pats defense. But we still don't know what happened with gabriel, and I can only speculate that his release was due to the fact that he didn't fit into Belichick's plans, whatever they may have been. Hopefully Lil Wes Welker will fit the mold.

locseti
03-04-2007, 09:23 AM
BB has 3 Super bowl rings so what ever he's doing obviously works and nobody should question his decisions

Nobody's debating the fact that he's a good coach. But he IS kind of an asshole and I was GENUINELY surprised when the Pats signed AT. But evidently the aspect of winning outweighs the fact that your coach is a dick. And I say this with no disrespect whatsoever, cause BB gets it done.

zoinks
03-04-2007, 09:54 AM

Funny you should say this....this also appears to be the fundamental theory behind a number of Belichick's decision.

locseti
03-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Funny you should say this....this also appears to be the fundamental theory behind a number of Belichick's decision.

so, you are saying....what?

luckyjackaubrey
03-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Tell me why the " whiter Troy Brown" comment is neccessary ?

UK Patriot
03-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Sick and tired of hearing smack about Belichick. You say he's an asshole and dick, yet give no reason to why you think this! Who is he an asshole too? The Patriots organisation? No. The Patriots players? No. The Patriots fans? No. Fans of other teams? No. Refs? No.

The only people who do not like him are the media, because of his intense secrecy, and unwillingness to discuss locker room matters in front of the camera.

His methods have brought great success as you mentioned, and IMO the only things which upset him are when trusted members of his staff join division rivals. I'm sure i read a quote somewhere, saying he had verbal agreements with Weis and Crennel that he would accept them becoming head coaches, as long as it was outside the AFC East. Mangini obviously didnt do this, which upset him personally, but i would have been as upset myself!

Edit: Just found this video of Belichick coaching the AFC team at the Pro Bowl - What a asshole he seems to be!

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=24293&pcid=84

remix 6
03-04-2007, 11:59 AM
damnit..Welkers on his way to meet with officals and when he does..he'll probably get the contract put on the table :(

XxXdragonXxX
03-04-2007, 12:18 PM

If you think D.J. Hackett drops passes, you really have never seen him play. He has some of the best hands in the NFL.

Wes is a slot receiver, he's not versatile when it comes to catching the football. He's good after the catch, and he can return punts. D.J. Hackett is big and fast with good hops, great hands, goes over the middle and he's a good deep threat.

LookItsAlDavis
03-04-2007, 12:44 PM
5 years 38.5 million................too much money.

Smokey Joe
03-04-2007, 12:46 PM

:eek: Is that counting the signing bonus!?

WTF is going on in the NFL?

princefielder28
03-04-2007, 12:48 PM

I thought it was a 7 year deal!

remix 6
03-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I thought it was a 7 year deal!

it is 7 years 38.5 which is 5.5 per year

poinson pill...he'll probably only see 20 of it

indyfan1985
03-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Broncos and Patriots are just on fire

Hows that? I agree with the Denver deal but the Pats paid WAY too much for Wes Welker who is simply a special teams guy along with a possible slot WR. And as much as I like Adalius Thomas, he is 30 years old and they paid 10 mil a year for him. I am never a fan of paying guys that much when they are in their 30s. This just further shows the Pats as one of the NFL's oldest teams.

remix 6
03-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Hows that? I agree with the Denver deal but the Pats paid WAY too much for Wes Welker who is simply a special teams guy along with a possible slot WR. And as much as I like Adalius Thomas, he is 30 years old and they paid 10 mil a year for him. I am never a fan of paying guys that much when they are in their 30s. This just further shows the Pats as one of the NFL's oldest teams.

we didnt pay Thomas 10 mill per year

5 years $37.5

thats 7.5 mill per year

Geo
03-04-2007, 04:15 PM
I think you're underrating Welker a bit there, 85. From day one that Patriots are getting one of the league's best #3 receivers, who could potentially become a very good #2 for them as they continue to develop their receiving core from the ground up. Picture Brandon Stokley, except at 26 years old, no durability concerns, and the ability to contribute as a return man on special teams.

That's a pricey contract, don't get me wrong, but the Patriots aren't exactly getting hosed here.

Jay
03-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Maybe I am mistaken here... but... when I think of... football coaches... and especially all of the ones I had... I think of assholes and jerks yelling at the top of their lungs. Who gives a crap if Belichick doesn't coddle every player and tuck them in before they go to bed. They have a job to do, and if they don't take it seriously and give 110% to the cause, they are out. Period.

And it's that same cut throat attitude that has turned an organization that was pretty horrible pre-21st Century into the current class act of the NFL and has won the man three Super Bowls since he took over the Pats. It's clearly working, he's not going to change the ENTIRE organizational approaching for Doug ******* Gabriel of all people...

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 04:54 PM
I think the Pats are really ticked about losing to the Colts and probably believe if they didnt go cheap in the previous offeseason they could have won that game.

dcarey20
03-04-2007, 04:55 PM
welker is a perfect fit for the pats.

cunningham06
03-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Damn they overpaid him and are going to have to give up their second round pick if Miami doesn't match their deal? Wow, bad move.

remix 6
03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Damn they overpaid him and are going to have to give up their second round pick if Miami doesn't match their deal? Wow, bad move.

have u not read what i've been saying?

-we didnt offer anything yet. we are meeting with him and sources say we will offer the sheet but nothing yet

-POISON pill. he'll probably see 20 mill and thats it

MNRunLeft
03-04-2007, 08:02 PM
With the kind of money NE offered to Welker I'm suprised they didn't go after Kevin Curtis who is also more of a slot WR. They would have spent more money but would have been able to save the 2nd round pick.

draftguru151
03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
have u not read what i've been saying?

-we didnt offer anything yet. we are meeting with him and sources say we will offer the sheet but nothing yet

-POISON pill. he'll probably see 20 mill and thats it

Do you know what a poison pill is because you keep throwing it around and it doesn't seem to be in the right context.

Finsfan79
03-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I havent seen anything in the reputable press yet for a poison pill where are you seeing it perhaps? love to get a link and read what it is.

Plus I believe the NFL commish has said he will invalidate poison pill contracts after last year. Not that I care I want the 2nd round pick for him

XxXdragonXxX
03-04-2007, 08:46 PM
I havent seen anything in the reputable press yet for a poison pill where are you seeing it perhaps? love to get a link and read what it is.

Plus I believe the NFL commish has said he will invalidate poison pill contracts after last year. Not that I care I want the 2nd round pick for him

The NFL didn't do anything about "poison pills" in contracts. If there is a poison pill in the contract, the NFL won't do anything about it.

Grizzlegom
03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
peter king on 790 just reported that miami threatened to match and then the pats agreed to send a 2nd rounder PLUS a 7th rounder for welker.

remix 6
03-05-2007, 03:59 PM
peter king on 790 just reported that miami threatened to match and then the pats agreed to send a 2nd rounder PLUS a 7th rounder for welker.

its a trade instead of an offer sheet i think

Grizzlegom
03-05-2007, 04:01 PM
its a trade instead of an offer sheet i think

yea i guess it would be...regardless, miami is getting an extra pick :-)

Eaglez.Fan
03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Why do they go after Welker with a 2nd and a 7th when they could get a better WR, like Randy Moss or someone. . .

Jay
03-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Do you know what a poison pill is because you keep throwing it around and it doesn't seem to be in the right context.

I think he knows exactly what it means, which is why he is saying he won't see 20 million of it max. And this is confirmed:

Patriots acquired Wes Welker for second and seventh-round draft picks in the 2007 draft. A long term deal has been agreed to, but is undisclosed.

The $39 million figure that was floated for Welker's proposed offer sheet probably included a lot of phony money and years. Since the two teams dealt directly, it won't be necessary to pay Welker so much or so creatively. Welker provides the Patriots a versatile receiver who stands a good chance at starting. He'll also return punts. Don't be surprised if Welker's solid 2006 numbers improve.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the deal, but at least he's a lot cheaper...

remix 6
03-05-2007, 04:22 PM
i like this better..7th round pick is raelly nothing and we dont pay him as much.

i was hoping for Stallworth..heck even Moss

NGSeiler
03-05-2007, 04:38 PM
i like this better..7th round pick is raelly nothing and we dont pay him as much.

You realize the seventh round pick is IN ADDITION to the previously offered second round pick, right?

remix 6
03-05-2007, 04:54 PM
You realize the seventh round pick is IN ADDITION to the previously offered second round pick, right?

you realize the contract IS NOT 7 years 38.5 million anymore, right?

its much cheaper contract with real cash and no BS for an additonal 7th round pick

UK Patriot
03-05-2007, 04:56 PM
This suits the Pats better IMO. They will now most likely offer Welker less per year, and trade down from the #28 pick into the second round and pick up a 7th as compensation. In this scenario, all we'll have done is spent a 2nd on a good all round contributer, who may well have a big year for us.

Jay
03-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I still hate giving up a second round pick for Wes Welker... but I like it more knowing we can do it on our terms...

Dunta_23
03-05-2007, 05:03 PM
I would hate for my team to give up a 2nd round pick on a player....You never know who can fall to the mid/late 2nd round...A player like Wes Welker could seemingly be drafted in the 3rd-4th round....But im sure Belichek and company have better insight than me....and he is much more qualified

BehrenMan007
03-05-2007, 05:03 PM
awesome news

remix 6
03-05-2007, 05:11 PM
so first round: LB and a DB.

no way we take a WR after spending two 2nd rounderso n WRs in last 2 years.

HawkeyeFan
03-05-2007, 05:24 PM
2nd Rounder for Wes Welker! Haha!

Flyboy
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm probably the biggest Wes Welker fan on the forums (being that I attend TTU and everything), but... a 2nd rounder AND a 7th? Wow. All I'll say is do your damn thing, Wes.

niel89
03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
2nd Rounder for Wes Welker! Haha!

yeah that seems a little high

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 06:17 PM
You guys. Seriously. It's one of the last picks in the draft. It's basically the same as being an UDFA, it means absolutely nothing. Most of those guys don't even make the roster anyway. It was just a formality.

draftguru151
03-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Unless that pick ends up being the next Colston!

Joking.

Scotty D
03-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Only on a draft forum would a 7th rounder cause so much debate.

toonsterwu
03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I think this was an intriguing move by the Pats. Not up, nor down as of now, but they do get a guy who could fit very well within the scheme and be a solid contributor. A late 2nd isn't anything to laugh about, and the Fins got a good deal with the 2nd/7th combo.

The Unseen
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Unless that pick ends up being the next Colston!

Joking.

Or Bobby McCray!

remix 6
03-05-2007, 07:55 PM
The Deal is:

5 years
$18.1 mill
$10.75 guranteed.

NFL Network. Thats much better than the 7 yr 38.5 that was probably there for signing sheet

cunningham06
03-05-2007, 08:51 PM
The contract isn't too bad, but giving up a second rounder for Wes Welker? That is an awful deal. 7th rounder doesn't matter very much but damn Wes is not worth a second round pick.

draftguru151
03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Or Bobby McCray!

Who? The Jags don't have any DEs other than Hayward. :p

Seriously though, I don't think the Chiefs saw the Phins/Jags game where he ate McIntosh's lunch.

TheChampIsHere
03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I bet Wes Welker never thought in his wildest dreams he'd have a higher trade value than Randy Moss

NGSeiler
03-06-2007, 01:01 AM
you realize the contract IS NOT 7 years 38.5 million anymore, right?

Obviously.

But if I had to guess, I would think the seven-year deal New England had drawn up would have been similar to the one Seattle gave Nate Burleson last spring.

Burleson's offer was a seven-year $49 million offer sheet that basically broke down into a four-year $14.5 million contract followed by three additional years of huge salaries he has no chance of seeing. I would be shocked if New England's massive offer sheet for Welker wasn't the same kind of arrangement where a significant portion of the contract was backloaded and unattainable.

As Rotoworld's comments on the Welker offer said, "The $39 million figure that was floated for Welker's proposed offer sheet probably included a lot of phony money and years." ProFootballTalk echoed those sentiments: "But the key here is that much of that deal would have been back-end fluff aimed at persuading the Dolphins not to match the deal, especially since it likely would have included a poison-pill provision." Meaning, stuff at the end of the deal that Welker had no chance of seeing but contributed to the inflation of the deal's total value.

But hey, if you're happy trading what will probably be an inconsequential seventh round pick to Miami simply so you can get that $38.5 million out of the discussion, even though the number itself was very likely significantly inflated by junk money in the final years that Welker would never see, so be it. The bottom line is you're still giving up a second round pick for Welker, which IMO is too much.