PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate your favorite colleges prospects

Hokie's#1
12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Victor "Macho" Harris
Really the only top prospect Virginia Tech has. He is a ball hawk. He has compiled a total of 15 interceptions so far in his career as a Hokie. He's not afraid to come up and hit either. Not to mention, he's a great return guy. He's got the speed and swift moves when he gets a punt or interception to take it to the house. He is just an all around play maker. I see him being a late first to early second round pick in the draft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCQwDW66yCY

Sean Glennon
He's obviously had a rough time at Virginia Tech. From losing his starting job to Tyrod Taylor and getting booed by his own fans. Undrafted

Brett Warren
Is really a big part of the Hokies' defense. Provides a lot of stability at inside linebacker. He is tough as nails and has the grit you look for. Has a non-stop motor and never gives up on plays. He plays a real physical brand of football. I could see him being a real diamond in the rough. I can see him going in the 7th most likely. Has good bloodlines as his brothers and father all played at Virginia Tech.

Orion Martin
Is a nice pass rusher off the edge. Gets off the ball quick and has good speed for a defensive end. Reminds me a lot of Chris Ellis who played last year for the Hokies and was drafted by the Bills. They both could make good fits in the 3-4 defense as a designated pass rusher or outside linebacker. May take awhile to develop him though. He's gotten a lot stronger also. I can see him going in the 3rd.

Underclassmen to look out for:
1.) Ed Wang - OT - JR
2.) Kam Chancellor - S - JR
3.) Sergio Render - OG - JR
4.) Jason Worilds - DE - RSoph

Race for the Heisman
12-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Todd Boeckman (QB) - Everyone knows the story, great physical tools, no mental ones. 7/UDFA.

Alex Boone (OT) - Once considered a top pick, not so much anymore. He could go back up (like Sam Baker) if his combine and Senior Bowl are very good. Otherwise I still think he has left tackle ability and as of now he's probably late second-early fourth.

Steve Rehring (OG) - Like Boone, no longer a top prospect at his position. Somewhere behind the second tier of Canfield, Levitre, etc. He's a big dude which will appeal to some teams, not so much to others.

James Laurinaitis (LB) - Everyone knows. Not worth the top 10 pick some made (and are still making) him out to be, but should still be a first rounder despite some opinions. Not actually that awful with the whole block shedding deal and one of the top two coverage MIKEs, the top 1 if Spikes goes back.

Marcus Freeman (LB) - Should work out like all hell in the important one (shuttle), which could catapult him over Sean Weatherspoon, who he's otherwise probably about equal to. Good tackler and but I can't shake the thought of him losing about 5 yards on Havili when he had to flip his hips to run with him.

Malcolm Jenkins - The bossman. End of. I do have some small coverage concerns having watched almost every game this season, but he'll make up for that one mistake by being the baddest ass special teams guy and hardest tackling corner in the league (or damn near close to it).

Juniors:
Kurt Coleman (FS) - Probably in the third tier of safeties. Pretty rangy but not the best in run support. Maybe fourth/fifth if he comes out.

Anderson Russell (FS) - Good cover skills but hands like frying pans. Probably about the same as Coleman.

Chris Wells (RB) - Top back, small injury concerns, still should be a top 10 prospect.

Brian Hartline (WR) - 6th-UDFA. Tall, lanky, decent special teams value (gunner, kickoffs, punt return) solid but not excellent hands, decent routes. Should catch on somewhere either as a practice squad guy or the fifth guy for his special teams value. More naturally a 1/2 than a slot guy but I don't think he has that kind of ability.

Ray Small (WR) - Was doing great until he got in trouble. Probably UDFA as it is. Punt return value, never caught on at Ohio State as a receiver.

There's a few others (Thaddeus Gibson, Lawrence Wilson, Rob Rose) who could come out and get drafted based on workouts alone probably but would be stupid to come out. Not even sure why I included the safeties. Donald Washington is another who may actually come out. He's a pretty good man guy with solid (probably high 4.4, low 4.5) speed. Definitely a late guy in this draft but could become a starter down the line.

Sniper
12-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Ray Small (WR) - Was doing great until he got in trouble. Probably UDFA as it is. Punt return value, never caught on at Ohio State as a receiver.

We have EXTREMELY different definitions of what "doing great" means. 18 catches, 149 yards, 8.28 ypc and no touchdowns isn't doing great. In fact, it's doing pretty terrible.

He did do a good job in limited duty as a punt returner.

Flyboy
12-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Can I call Michael Beasttree the man and that be it?

Race for the Heisman
12-09-2008, 04:25 PM
We have EXTREMELY different definitions of what "doing great" means. 18 catches, 149 yards, 8.28 ypc and no touchdowns isn't doing great. In fact, it's doing pretty terrible.

He did do a good job in limited duty as a punt returner.

That's really what meant, the punt return thing. It made him draftable, which is all he could every really hope for. Roy Hall got drafted in the fourth with similarly poor production but Hall was 6'3" 240 lbs. and ran a sub 4.4. Small will probably run low 4.4, maybe high 4.3. Having an impact as a return guy and doing something for his team after wallowing behind superior players gave him a shot at getting drafted. For a guy with very limited abilities to showcase aside from that, I'd say getting drafted would have excellent for him. Believe me when I say I'm pretty sure we're on the same page regarding Ray Small.

Halsey
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
My favorite guy as a pure prospect is Tebow despite the fact that I'm a UGA fan. I like him because he's such a unique and interesting prospect. I feel that he will be able to help an NFL team even if he can't make it as a QB. Even if he were moved to say FB, I think the team that picks him will use him as a QB in special packages such as short yardage plays. How cool would it be if your team could bring Tebow in on the goal line

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Tennessee Vols

Too lazy to just do any real evaluations right now so I'll just put who I think would go where right now.

Robert Ayers- 5th-7th
Demonte Bolden- 5th-7th
Anthony Parker- 6th-7th
Ramone Foster- UDFA
Arian Foster- 4th-6th
Lucas Taylor- UDFA
Britton Colquitt- UDFA

Juniors
Josh McNeil- 4th-6th
Chris Scott- 6th-7th
Dan Williams- 4th-5th
Rico McCoy- 3rd-4th
Demetrice Morley- 4th-5th

BamaFalcon59
12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Just a few...

CB Macho Harris
Baller. Great size, play making ability, athleticism...he has it all. Great leader. His late 4.4/ early 4.5 may bring him down, but he will run an amazing shuttle (he has the fastest one in Virginia Tech. history).

S Kam Chancellor
Baller. Had a down year, so he will probably come back. But he is so talented.

CB Stephan Virgil
Will be another Virginia Tech. defensive back selected on day one of the draft. Playmaker.

DE Jason Worilds
OMGOSH! Beast. 6'2" 255 4.50. Redshirt sophmore. Beast against the run. Beast against the pass. Powerful. Fast. Amazing. Eight sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss in the ACC this season as a sophmore.

LB Cody Grimm
Son of Russ Grimm. Great college player, would be a first round pick if he had NFL size. May get a special teams look.

OT Ed Wang
Overrated.

OG Sergio Render
Called the top junior guard by many, but Virginia Tech. fans usually do not agree. Great size and physical ability, dominant when he tries. Unfortunately that is not often.

RB Darren Evans
Redshirt freshman. Beast. Faces eight man fronts and has a bad offensive line, but still ran for 1,100+ yards and 10 touchdowns thus far in the season against some great defenses. Powerful, aggressive runner. Downhill runner. Great vision. Decent speed, not much quicks. Good stiff arm. Ability to carry the load. Good size (6'0" 215 as a freshman). If he can run a 4.5 I can see him being a top pick.

Matthew Jones
12-09-2008, 07:29 PM
A few players from Boston College and Connecticut who could receive some attention in the draft:

Boston College

TE Ryan Purvis - 4th round
DT Ron Brace - 4th round
DT B.J. Raji - 2nd round
LB Mark Herzlich (Jr.) - 1st round
LB Brian Toal - 7th round

Connecticut

RB Donald Brown (Jr.) - 2nd round
DE Cody Brown - 3rd round
DE Julius Williams - 7th round
CB Darius Butler - 2nd round

Edit: Julius is a really good player who flies under the radar because of Cody Brown. 6'2", 258 with some burst. He's definitely draftable.

2007: 35 tackles, 12.0 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks
2008: 38 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks

Hokie's#1
12-09-2008, 08:42 PM
OT Ed Wang
Overrated.

Ed Wang really is overrated. In the FSU game Everette Brown ate him alive. I figured I would throw him in there anyway though.

jnew76
12-10-2008, 11:25 AM
As a Missouri fan -

Jeremy Maclin - RS-Soph - He is the best "speed" WR in this draft. Led the NCAA in all purpose yardage for the 2nd straight year. Was hindered by an ankle at times this year, but showed toughness by starting every game. Fastest 5 yard acceleration I have seen in a few years. IMO, he does NOT have elite change of direction quickness and relies on speed more than quickness to evade tacklers. With his current skill set, I think he is a top #2 NFL WR. He has to develop into a #1 WR. Has the ability to become an elite #1, but has some bust potential if he is unable to develop the nuances of the game. I have him ranked as the #12 overall prospect in the draft, and the #2 WR.

Chase Daniel - Coming into the year I had Daniel with a 4th-5th round grade in a weak class of QB's. I now have his as a 7th-UDFA. Chase's height and arm strength are the main issues people look at when doubting his ability to succeed in the NFL. While I disagree somewhat with the arm strength evaluation, I believe the height prevents Daniel from being effective in the middle of the field. His delivery is too low to effectively throw the ball without big throwing lanes in the middle. Daniel saw more pressure this year with the loss of Spieker and Luellen off his O-Line and has not been able to effectively step up in the pocket with any kind of rush in his face. Tended to throw off his back foot the last half of the season after taking a pounding in the Oklahoma St. game. Got happy feet which made him erratic at times. Made some serious mental errors in big games where he looked indecisive and jittery. Kind of like Colt McCoy did in 2007. Confidence seemed to be shaken and did not play his best when dealing with adversity. Also, was not near as accurate with the deep ball as he was in 2007. I do like his understanding of the proper ball flight and velocity he uses to make throws. He is very accurate in the short passing game and has the ability to really sling it when he chooses to. I think Daniel goes the way of Major Applewhite and I believe he could be an outstanding O-Coordinator/QB Coach in the spread offense at the college level in 3-5 years. Don't get me wrong... I love having CD at Missouri for 4 years. I just don't see it translating in any way to the NFL.

Chase Coffman - Coffman has the best hands of any player in this draft IMO. Has better than average athletic ability for an NFL TE IMO. Not the fastest prospect, but has adequate ability to stretch the middle of the field. Runs great routes and knows how to use his body to create mismatches and get seperation. Has excellent leaping ability and body control. Is really strong after the catch... Can make people miss as well as run over them. Tireless worker who has played hurt through large stretches the last 2 years. Many people believe he is a liability in the run game and cannot develop into an in-line blocker. I honestly think he has the strength and leverage to surprise people in this area, but that is to be determined. I have him as the 41st rated prospect in this draft and the #2 TE behind Gresham.

William Moore - I will go on record as saying that I have never had Moore as highly ranked as some others on the board. WillyMo is a tremendous athlete, and a dynamic ballhawk who is not afraid to lay the lumber. Flows to the ball against the run and can effectively cover the deep middle of the field. I thiink he was horribly utilized this year. He was asked to blitz far to often because the Tigers were completely inept at creating pressure with their front four against decent offensive lines. More often than not, the blitzing scheme took him out of the play while the rest of the terrible secondary was asked to cover. I am sure Moore read a few too many of his press clippings coming into the year, as he tried to make the big play too often rather than wrapping up and playing fundamentally sound. He battled some injuries throughout the year and it hampered his ability to effectively play man to man in the slot. He was close to being back to 100% in the OU game where he was the only bright spot in coverage and played a really solid game. Looking at the Junior tape, Moore was able to roam around more and use his instincts to diagnose plays and was seemingly always around the ball. The lack of secondary help, combined with being asked to blitz constantly, prevented Moore from being able to repeat his incredible Junior campaign. Moore might not fit in every system. But in the right one he could be special. I have him ranked as the 27th best player in the draft and the #1 safety available.

Sean Weatherspoon - The shining star of a below average defense this year. Spoon is a sideline to sideline player who hits like a truck and plays extremely fast. Takes great angles to the football and brings the load when he gets there. Low base and very powerful in his lower body enables him to hold up at the point and take on blockers. Diagnoses plays quickly with great instincts, gets penetration, and makes plays behind the line. Relentless in pursuit and never quits on plays. Looked like he wore down a little as the season went along. Might have been a little banged up, or just fatigued. I thought he played the best of any LB in the country through 8 games. I have him ranked as the 43rd ranked prospect in the draft, and #3 OLB prospect behind Curry and Kindle. Might be the best WLB in this draft.

Evander "Ziggy" Hood - IMO Ziggy is overrated by most draft analysts. He is quick and stout, but can be completely neutralized against better interior lines at the college level. I think Jaron Baston is the better pro prospect when it is all said and done, but Baston does not have the motor and effort that "Ziggy" has though this point in his career. That motor and effort could definitely get Ziggy into a DL rotation in the NFL, but I do not think he has the leverage and bulk to play the run consistently in the NFL. I don't think he can add much bulk without losing his quickness and penetration. I have a 4th-5th round grade on him and look at him as a rotation/situational player at the next level.

Stryker Sulak - Has always been a DE at Missouri, but I think he might get a look at Rush LB in the 3-4. At 6'5" - 250 - with excellent speed off the edge, I think Sulak might project outside in the NFL. He is a good, not great athlete, with the ability to rush the passer. Does not have the variety of pass rush moves to play in a 4-3. I see him as a 4th rounder with good workouts. I think he needs to add some upper body strength and use his hands better, but has some upside.

UDFA's

Brock Christopher - MLB
Chase Patton - QB - Looking to follow in the mold of Matt Cassel, has ideal size and arm strength that NFL teams look for.
Tommy Saunders - Might get a look, great hands, lacks speed
Jared Perry - Similar to Saunders in that timed speed is questionable

Bigburt63
12-10-2008, 01:37 PM
A few players from Boston College and Connecticut who could receive some attention in the draft:

Boston College

TE Ryan Purvis - 4th round
DT Ron Brace - 4th round
DT B.J. Raji - 2nd round
LB Mark Herzlich (Jr.) - 1st round
LB Brian Toal - 7th round

Connecticut

RB Donald Brown (Jr.) - 2nd round
DE Cody Brown - 3rd round
DE Julius Williams - 7th round
CB Darius Butler - 2nd round

Edit: Julius is a really good player who flies under the radar because of Cody Brown. 6'2", 258 with some burst. He's definitely draftable.

2007: 35 tackles, 12.0 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks
2008: 38 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks

i believe toal is coming back becasue he red-shirted this year

SuperKevin
12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
i believe toal is coming back becasue he red-shirted this year

Toal can't come back. he's used all 5 years of eligibility and won't get a 6th year

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
12-10-2008, 04:42 PM
watch out for davon drew from ecu scott rates him as a 4.8 forty uh no! he was a qb in high school ran high 4.5 low 4.6! at 6'4" and 260 hes a pretty good blocker and can really shed the tackles when he catches to ball! definently a late round pick 2nd day but whoever drafts him will be getting a steal!

Hokie's#1
12-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Toal can't come back. he's used all 5 years of eligibility and won't get a 6th year

Yeah, he used up his redshirt year last year when he got injured. I really feel sorry for the guy. Has been hampered with injuries his whole college career. When healthy he was a beast but problem he was never healthy. Being injury prone has killed his stock. Hopefully a team will take a shot with him.

703SKINS202
12-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Pat White- Hopefully he can transition into a WR at the next stage and have a decent career in the right offense/situation.

bethemooseman7
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Tennessee Vols

Too lazy to just do any real evaluations right now so I'll just put who I think would go where right now.

Robert Ayers- 5th-7th
Demonte Bolden- 5th-7th
Anthony Parker- 6th-7th
Ramone Foster- UDFA
Arian Foster- 4th-6th
Lucas Taylor- UDFA
Britton Colquitt- UDFA

Juniors
Josh McNeil- 4th-6th
Chris Scott- 6th-7th
Dan Williams- 4th-5th
Rico McCoy- 3rd-4th
Demetrice Morley- 4th-5th

I really think Morley and McCoy could end up being 2nd-3rd round picks next year. Of course, it depends on how well they play, but I think the talent is definitely there. I remember when McCoy was a freshman, the coaches said he had more pure talent than Jerod Mayo.

AkiliSmith
12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
I really think Morley and McCoy could end up being 2nd-3rd round picks next year. Of course, it depends on how well they play, but I think the talent is definitely there. I remember when McCoy was a freshman, the coaches said he had more pure talent than Jerod Mayo.
McCoy's problem is his size. He's only like 210 pounds. He wouldn't be a good fit on a lot of teams.