PDA

View Full Version : Billy Malone-QB-Abilene Christian-Best Senior QB no one knows about

jnew76
12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I would like to start pimping him as a prospect. As a pure prospect, I think he is the #2 senior QB in this draft behind Mike Reilly of Central Washington. Based on ability alone, I think he would be a 2nd-3rd rounder in any draft, but of course there are a number of legitemate reasons he is not being considered a first day prospect.

Malone originally enrolled at Tulane after decomitting from Texas when Vince Young decided to go to UT. At Tulane, Malone was misdiagnosed with a serious Heart Condition and was told he would not be able to play football again.

Here is a great NY Times story on the saga of Malone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/sports/ncaafootball/29abilene.html?_r=1&em

Billy Malone - 6'3" 230lbs

Senior Stats - 10 Games - 183/293 62.5% 36TD 8INT

Pros - Malone has the best arm strength of any senior prospect I have looked at on tape. He is a natural passer who can make every throw in the NFL. Excellent release and good footwork. Throws well on the run. He is very accurate and throws the deep ball extremely well. Has decent mobility and athletic ability. Malone is a natural leader and has a quiet confidence that players rally around. I like his pure physical skills better than any of the senior QB's in this draft.

Cons - 25 years old... Will be 26 when the 2009 season begins. Plays D-II competition. Has past heart condition concern that NFL teams will need to clear. Plays in a shotgun offense.

Summary - In no way do I think that Malone is a top flight, can't miss NFL prospect. But, in an awful SR. QB class, there are a number of QB prospect that will be drafted ahead of him that are absolute wastes of picks. IMO Malone is not a wasted pick. I think he has the ability to be a top flight backup QB, or spot starter in the NFL. He has at least 10 years of serviceable NFL time left in his body. A team that drafts him late will be making a good decision for their franchise, IMO.

SuperKevin
12-11-2008, 04:57 PM
He'll get a UDFA look and could be a Tony Romo type success story. People don't realize that UDFA is sometimes the best possible thing for a player because they can go wherever they feel they'll get a shot

Cigaro
12-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Have you seen him play a significant amount?

colts_fan8818
12-11-2008, 05:07 PM
He does sound like an intriguing prospect, I don't think he will be drafted due to his age and the fact that he plays at DII, but I do think that he could be a back up for someone. Also thank you for showing some respect for Mike Reilly, who is the best senior QB this year.

jnew76
12-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Have you seen him play a significant amount?

Unfortunately only 4 game tapes and highlights. 1 junior tape and 3 senior games- Both NW Missouri St. games, and the Texas A&M Commerce game. I have a buddy that is an assistant in the NWMSU program so it is easy to get those tapes. I have tried to get others but it is hard for me to get the time to watch them and to get response from small programs who are not on TV. But I try to do it as much as possible.

bearsfan_51
12-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Is there really a school called Texas A&M Commerce?

jnew76
12-11-2008, 05:13 PM

yep - In the mecca of Commerce, Texas of course -

http://web.tamu-commerce.edu/

Brent
12-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes, it's in Commerce, TX. It used to be East Texas State University but in the 50s and 60s when Texas had sweeping education reforms and created the three tier system that we have now, it was put into the Texas A&M system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_University_System

Babylon
12-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Rhett Bomar is arguably the best senior QB this year.

STARHEATHER
12-11-2008, 06:23 PM
is measurables etc. does he have an nfl caliber throwing arm?

bearsfan_51
12-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Yes, it's in Commerce, TX. It used to be East Texas State University but in the 50s and 60s when Texas had sweeping education reforms and created the three tier system that we have now, it was put into the Texas A&M system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_University_System
Yeah I understand how state hierarchies work with colleges, that's just a terrible name.

jnew76
12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Rhett Bomar is arguably the best senior QB this year.

Like you say, that is arguable and I would argue that he is not. I think that after the combine and post-season, people will realize that Bomar does not have the ability to play in the NFL. Just my opinion.

Wildcatsj25
01-03-2009, 01:12 AM
ive seen malone play in every home game at ACU in the last 2 years and the man can throw the ball. He wont get drafted but the team that gets him after he draft will be happy with a very solid qb.

Blodgettboy24
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I have been on the field with Billy Malone and he is a terrific quarterback. He is a great leader, how often do you have a quarterback that leads defensive players?

I remember the first practice I intercepted 2 passes, Billy came down on himself hard. I was like this is the guy that everyone has been talking about, I thought the school made a bad decision. By the 2nd week he got back in the groove of being under center I could no longer read him and he was making amazing passes. This guy is a legitimate quarterback who knows how to dissect a defense and deliver passes exactly where it needs to be.

His arm strength and poise is unbelievable. Billy has the size and the swagger for a NFL quaterback. Just like Daniel Manning (Chicago Bears #38)no one knew who he was but he came in and made an impact. Everyone predicted Daniel to be a undrafted player or late rounder but he went in the second round.

Billy will get picked up in the 3rd round because he is that good. He owns all the D2 passing records. Cant wait to see who will be the lucky team!

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Speaking as a Bears fan, If you like him so much, why would you go and compare him to El Matador Manning?

Not exactly a strong vote of confidence...

SuperKevin
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I have been on the field with Billy Malone and he is a terrific quarterback. He is a great leader, how often do you have a quarterback that leads defensive players?

I remember the first practice I intercepted 2 passes, Billy came down on himself hard. I was like this is the guy that everyone has been talking about, I thought the school made a bad decision. By the 2nd week he got back in the groove of being under center I could no longer read him and he was making amazing passes. This guy is a legitimate quarterback who knows how to dissect a defense and deliver passes exactly where it needs to be.

His arm strength and poise is unbelievable. Billy has the size and the swagger for a NFL quaterback. Just like Daniel Manning (Chicago Bears #38)no one knew who he was but he came in and made an impact. Everyone predicted Daniel to be a undrafted player or late rounder but he went in the second round.

Billy will get picked up in the 3rd round because he is that good. He owns all the D2 passing records. Cant wait to see who will be the lucky team!

Isn't he a tad old for a prospect?

Menardo75
01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Like you say, that is arguable and I would argue that he is not. I think that after the combine and post-season, people will realize that Bomar does not have the ability to play in the NFL. Just my opinion.

I think he does have the ability to play in the NFL. He is a project though.